Another Forever

By mahumwrites

"Say it." He whispered, stepping closer to me. "I love you too." I finally admitted, my cheeks flushing dark... More

n o t e
c h a r a c t e r s
p r o l o g u e
1 | h i m
2 | c o l l i s i o n
3 | s c a n d a l o u s
4 | c h e e r f u l
5 | l a h o r e
6 | m e h n d i
7 | m i n e
8 | g o n e
9 | r e m i n d e r
1 0 | g r i e f
1 1 | p r o p o s a l
1 2 | r u d e
1 3 | a w k w a r d
1 4 | n i k a a h
t r a i l e r
1 5 | d i s a p p o i n t m e n t
1 6 | u n d e r s t a n d i n g
1 7 | r e c e p t i o n
1 8 | a l o n e
1 9 | c u d d l e s
2 0 | s i l e n c e
2 1 | a d v a n c e s
2 2 | m e m o r i e s
2 3 | c o n f u s i o n
2 4 | s a r e e
2 5 | q u e s t i o n s
2 6 | l i e s
2 7 | t r i p
2 8 | s u n s e t
2 9 | a f r a i d
3 0 | f a m i l y
3 1 | c l o s u r e
3 2 | a f t e r m a t h
3 3 | c a t a s t r o p h e
3 4 | c r u e l
3 5 | h a n g o u t
3 7 | s u r p r i s e
3 8 | f e e l i n g s
3 9 | i n - l a w s
4 0 | f a r
4 1 | d i l e m m a
4 2 | c u d d l e s
4 3 | g a l a
4 4 | t r u s t
4 5 | a n g r y
4 6 | a c c i d e n t
4 7 | b l u s h
4 8 | d a r k
e p i l o g u e

3 6 | a p o l o g y

6.4K 472 56
By mahumwrites

• f a a r i s •

After quite many days, my morning started with the sight of Noor, my beautiful Noor, the light of my eyes. She was curled up towards my side, her hair sticking out of the bun and her face devoid of any makeup. Many times in my life have I dreamed of waking up next to whoever my soulmate was. Starting my day with a sweet kiss, or more if I am lucky. But Noor, she was still unattainable for me. One minute, we are taking one step towards the other person and the next minute, we go many steps back.

I was determined to make her forgive me. Not only that, but also to make her realize how much love and admiration I held for her. I was just waiting for the right idea, the grand gesture. The bigger the mess up, the greater should be the apology. Not something cheap like flowers or chocolates.

"What are you doing?" A voice said and broke my trance. Noor was looking at me with her big, brown eyes as she watched me stare at her creepily.

"Um... I..." I cleared my throat. "I was... umm... I should be getting ready now."

I hopped off the bed and into the bathroom to do my morning routine. Wrapping a towel around my waist, I walked back to the room to gather my clothes. Noor was playing with her mobile so I went straight to the dressing table to do my one-step skincare routine i.e. the sunscreen and set my hair. Through the mirror, my eyes went to Noor and I saw her staring at my back, a deep blush spreaded all over her face. When her eyes met mine, she went back to looking at her mobile screen.

Smirking a little, I went to the closet to change into my clothes. By the time I walked out, Noor had gone to the bathroom. In about fifteen minutes, we were both in my car, ready to go to the office. Now that Noor also goes to work, we mostly have breakfast on our way on the weekdays.

I stopped the car in front of a french patisserie near the office and we went inside. Noor ordered a latte and croissant while I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with a cup of espresso.

While eating, I stared at Noor who was looking out of the window. She was wearing jeans and a sky blue baggy sweater, paired with brown leather boots and a scarf around her neck. She has started to dress more modern now, but making sure not to show any skin. Eastern or Western, Noor was breathtaking in every attire.

After breakfast, we went to the office and then to the elevator. Noor's new friend Hassan also entered the elevator behind me and I mentally groaned. I didn't like this guy one bit. He was too frank to Noor for my liking and she was too sweet to see that. He should know how to act in front of a married woman. Then again, he didn't know Noor was off-the-market yet.

I clenched my jaw as I watched them interact. I always thought I was not the jealous type and my time with Hayat was proof of that. But with Noor, things were different. I wanted to be the only person who could make her smile like that and I didn't even know I was capable of feeling like this.

I took my exit at the second floor and decided to take the stairs. Stairs were good for health anyway. By the time I reached the thirteenth floor, I was having trouble breathing.

"See. It wasn't that bad." I said to myself as I sat down on a nearby stool to catch my breath.

°°°°°

"Sir, Miss. Abdullah is here to meet you." My secretary informed me.

Hayat? What is she doing here?

After that night when the truth of my marriage unraveled, I tried calling her a few times but she didn't respond. I knew I had hurt her and she deserved an apology as well. But I didn't know what to say to defend my position.

"Send her in." I said after some contemplation.

Hayat walked in after a few seconds, her face showing indifference that I have never seen before. I looked away in guilt as I didn't have the courage to look into her eyes. Hayat had planned her whole life around me; she had even chosen the names of our children. In one way, it was better that we couldn't get married. She didn't deserve a guy who wasn't in love with her. But getting married without telling her wasn't probably the right way to do that.

"I wanted to return some things of yours. I have left them in your secretary's office." She said.

"What things?" I asked.

"Some books that I borrowed from you, some hoodies that you left in my apartment, some gifts you gave me." She counted.

"You didn't have to return those." I said in a voice laced with guilt.

"I did. I have no right to keep those." She said.

"Hayat," I called her name meekly. "I know nothing I say will change your feelings about me but trust me, that's not how I wanted things to go." I said.

"You mean you didn't want to marry your lifelong crush." She said sarcastically.

"I..." I took a pause. "I didn't. Not in those circumstances. Things became very complicated when I went to Pakistan and I tried so many times to tell you. I know that is not an excuse and I wish I had handled things differently."

"I wish that too." She said.

"I really want us to be friends again." I said. She was my best friend and I really didn't want to lose her.

"I wish I could do that." She replied. "But that's not possible."

I wanted to respond to that but before I could do that, Noor walked into my office. She looked like she had something to say but her words got caught in her throat when she saw Hayat in my office.

"I think I better leave." Hayat said and walked past Noor out of the office.

"I think I interrupted something." Noor said in an annoyed voice.

"You didn't." I exasperated. I didn't have the stamina to deal with another angry woman. "She wanted to return somethings."

Noor didn't look satisfied with my answer which was obvious from her eye-roll.

"Do you need something?" I asked instead.

"I thought we could have lunch together." She said and I smiled thinking she was finally melting towards me. "But I am not hungry anymore."

"Noor, please." I groaned.

"I'll have something later." She said dryly and walked out of the office, leaving me agitated.

°°°°°

"Why are we meeting during office timings? Didn't you have any work at the office?" Dad asked as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"I needed some advice." I admitted embarrassingly.

"About business?" He asked.

"About my marriage." I replied. "Don't tell Mom but I messed up big time. Noor is angry at me."

"Don't assume I will take your side against Noor." He cleared.

"I don't expect you to." I chuckled. "Just tell me, what should I do to make her forgive me?"

"She is your wife. You should know better what she likes or dislikes." He said.

"I know. But I need to make a big gesture. Should I buy her a designer handbag? Chanel or Prada?' I asked.

"Does Noor look like someone interested in designer handbags?" He raised his eyes.

"No." I sighed. "What about a diamond ring?"

He again shook his head in no.

"Come on Dad, be some help." I heaved a sigh.

"Beta, I have spent many years of my life with a Pakistani woman. Let me just tell you one small thing, they don't care much about things that have a physical value. They cherish things that have emotional value for them instead." Dad said.

I nodded in understanding.

"Just show her that you know her and you care for her. Show her how much she means to you. Make her feel valuable. Just give her the respect and loyalty she deserves and in return, a woman like Noor would make you the happiest man in the world." Dad stated.

"So to conclude, I need to think of something that would mean a lot to her emotionally and will show how much she means to me." I said.

"Yes." Dad nodded.

I thought, and thought, while Dad ate his sandwich and then finished his meal with a cup of tea.

What is something that is close to Noor's heart? That will make her unconditionally happy? Think Faaris, think. Use that brain that got you a 4.0 GPA in college and university.

Close to her heart. Emotions. Happiness.

"I figured it out." I shrieked when I finally found out the answer. "Thank you Dad. Thank you so much."

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Any guesses what Faaris' big apology is?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.4K 2.4K 26
"You've started this game so let's play it fair and square, you've married me without my will so I'll fuck you without your will, what do you say?" H...
191K 6.8K 43
"I'm not your personal doctor. And why the hell you want me to bandage your forhead when you have long list of girls to do it for you." I said glarin...
9.6K 552 7
Book one of "The Guns of Love" series "we're getting married soon, mon amour," he said, his eyes gleaming with a predatory intensity that sent shive...
77.9K 3.8K 28
(Unwanted Series#4) (Sequel to HSB & HAB) -"She has my heart. Its all up to her either cherish it or throw it."- - - - "Sha-Shai-Shaizum.. Shaizum...