Finding Maisie

By brambles_

When I was eight my best friend was taken. I was a witness. Ten years later Maisie had not been found and I c... More

Finding Maisie: Prologue
Finding Maisie: Chapter 1
Finding Maisie: Chapter 2
Finding Maisie: Chapter 3
Finding Maisie: Chapter 4
Finding Maisie: Chapter 5
Finding Maisie: Chapter 6
Finding Maisie: Chapter 7
Finding Maisie: Chapter 8
Finding Maisie: Chapter 9
Finding Maisie: Chapter 10
Finding Maisie: Chapter 11
Finding Maisie: Chapter 12
Finding Maisie: Chapter 13
Finding Maisie: Chapter 14
Finding Maisie: Chapter 15
Finding Maisie: Chapter 16
Finding Maisie: Chapter 17
Finding Maisie: Chapter 18
Finding Maisie: Chapter 19 Part 1
Finding Maisie: Chapter 19 Part 2
Finding Maisie: Chapter 21
Finding Maisie: Chapter 22
Finding Maisie: Chapter 23
Finding Maisie: Chapter 24
Finding Maisie: Chapter 25
Finding Maisie: Epilogue

Finding Maisie: Chapter 20

662 10 5
By brambles_

Finding Maisie

Chapter 20

I found it ironic that it was raining. When Maisie was kidnapped it was sunny; for the whole of the treasure hunt I couldn't remember a time the sun wasn't shining. And now, after I regained my memory, the skies seemed to pour down the water that they had stored up over the summer. In some ways the rain was like my memory of Maisie's disappearance. It was trapped in a cloud like my memories were trapped in my mind and now it was pouring down. The rain is free just like my mind.

My feet squelched in the mud below me. It was extremely thick and slippy due to the water mixed in with it. My hair was matted and heavy from the rain. My clothes were soaking and freezing cold but I felt so happy. I knew the danger was still very much in our midst and that we all could still die but... I had seen Maisie. I had been right next to her and she was so real, so alive. And losing her for the second time crushed me once again, but I was more filled with hope this time. It wouldn't be long until I got to see her again, I kept telling myself. This time it wouldn't be ten years until I saw her again.

After leaving the warehouse, I didn't know where to go. There was too much on my mind to be able to go back to my own flat - we wouldn't be able to go to Joshua's anymore. I had to go somewhere connected to the treasure hunt until we knew the next place the abductor had gone. When we got in the car I got a message from him saying, "Don't bother coming back to the warehouse, we won't be there. Love, Uncle Colin." What struck me most about the text was the fact he signed the text message with "Uncle Colin". It was hard to get my head around why he would abduct Maisie and create this whole treasure hunt, but the more I thought about it the more it made some sort of sense. We knew the abductor had something against my dad and Maisie's dad. It made sense it was their brother all along - even though Maisie's dad wasn't part of the family, my dad saw him as one and his family had fostered him. But there were still major questions in my mind. What were Uncle Colin's motives? And as he didn't kill my dad, did he know who my dad was all along? I still had to discover more information to figure out the whole situation.

Anyway, as I didn't want to sit at home and just wait for something to happen, I had to do something beneficial. Where else could I go to other than the place where Maisie was abducted? And that's why I was trekking with Callum through the thick mud across the tiny field where I was ten years ago. We were going to the bushes that I led Maisie behind. I now knew the way to the magical looking place that turned into a place of disasters. I looked over and saw the tree that Maisie and I raced to. If only I had not asked her to sneak off with me that summer afternoon. But then again, the abductor would have probably kidnapped us another time.

'Why are we here?' Callum yelled through the rain.

'Because I want to show you what happened,' I yelled back just as loud, 'I want to show you how Maisie was abducted.'

I grabbed Callum's hand and pulled him over to the tree, 'Maisie and I used to race to the tree on the way back from school,' I shouted gesturing to the tree, 'That's what we did first.'

'I'm bored,' Maisie moaned. 'Wanna race to our spot, Poppy?' She beamed, filled with enthusiasm.

'Okay,' I grinned. 'On three. Ready? One,two-'

I began running before saying three, receiving a grunt from Maisie. I hardly heard Maisie's complaints as the wind rushed against my ears. The breeze was a relief against my warm, sticky skin. I looked towards the tree, longing for its shadowed grass. The longing made my little legs run faster and within no time I had reached the tree. Maisie ran up soon after.

'It was hot, extremely hot that day,' I explained through the pouring rain, 'All me and Maisie wanted was a bit of shade but even the trees shadow wasn't enough to cool us down.'

'So what did you do?' Callum shouted back.

I walked towards a bush, 'I had found a place one time when Maisie was ill and I went exploring. It was like a small clearing in the trees where there was small waterfall. It was beautiful there. The waterfall led to a stream and at the side were plants and insects of different colours. And the main thing was the waterfall made the temperature lower there. I told Maisie about it and said we should go there, without telling our parents.'

'I know where to go,' I told Maisie. She looked at me with curiosity.

'Where?'

'A secret place that I found. But you can't tell anyone, not even your mum.' I commanded.

Maisie still looked wary but her curiosity broke through.

'Alright then,' Maisie whined.

I grinned at her and then began to pull into the small gap between the bushes. I led her down the path that I had been down once before, to the enchanting haven.

I pulled Callum through the bush and looked at the dusty path we were on. I instantly knew which way on the path to go. The memory of when I was with Maisie here filled my mind.

'Poppy, I'm not sure about this,' Maisie said anxiously. 'Our mums will get worried if they don't know where we are and-'

'Maisie, stop worrying,' I commanded. 'I said we would be back before they see us missing, didn't I? And don't you want to cool down?'

Maisie looked back at the bush but then wiped her sweat off her forehead. She couldn't deny that the heat was almost unbearable.

Maisie flapped her hands to her side like she was having a tantrum but gave in, 'Okay fine, but not for long. Which way do we go?'

I pointed to the right of us, 'This way, come on.'

I grabbed Maisie's hand and began to tow her along the dirt track. She was tense at first but then seemed to relax and start to enjoy the little adventure I was taking her on.

When we reached a large, familiar looking rock I pulled Maisie off the path and through some more bushes.

'Shouldn't we stay on the path, Poppy? We might get lost,' Maisie said worriedly.

'Maisie, I know where I am going. Trust me?'

'Okay, I trust you.'

Maisie and I carried on running on the grass, through bushes and past familiar objects to lead the way. Soon enough, I could hear the soft trickle of the waterfall.

It was harder to navigate Callum to the waterfall in the dark and pouring rain. I kept telling him the conversations that Maisie and I had on the way. It was strange remembering it all and now that I did remember it felt strange knowing I didn't for a large chuck of my life.

I heard the splashing and running of water and knew that the little waterfall haven I found years ago was behind the wall of bushes in front of us.

'Here we go,' I said to Callum as I pulled the bush branches to the side and ducked through.

The surroundings caused an ache in my chest. This was where Maisie was taken from. The memories flashed through my mind; the fear, the tears, the abductor. I clutched my hand to my head as I felt a headache coming. This was harder than I thought it would be.

The waterfall area looked grimmer now. The waterfall was only almost about twice the height of Callum; it looked larger when I was smaller. The water looked dirtier in the stream, weeds had grown over the beautiful flowers I liked and the dark had scared away the colourful insects that fluttered around. The thick mud made the ground look a mess and covered up most of the lush green grass. Overall, if this was the condition I saw the waterfall in, I wouldn't have been attracted to it when I was a child.

'This is where Maisie was abducted?' Callum asked.

'Yeah, but before she was we did some playing.'

'It's so pretty,' Maisie said in awe to the waterfall.

'I bet you're glad you came with me now,' I said, smugly.

Maisie nodded in eagerness before pulling off her cardigan, socks and shoes.

'I want to go in the water,' Maisie explained.

'But you'll get your school dress wet,' I said.

'Not all of me. I just want to dangle my feet in over the edge.'

'Okay, but I have something more fun to do,' I said.

I mimicked Maisie by taking off my shoes and socks plus my cardigan to prevent it getting wet, and grabbed her hand. I pulled her to the side of the waterfall where the rocks were.

'What are we doing?' Maisie asked.

'Look, they're like stairs,' I said, pointing to the rocks going up to the top of the waterfall. The way they had chipped away and eroded made them into rough, stair-like shapes.

'Let's climb to the top of the waterfall,' I said as I started climbing. Maisie was right next to me but less confident in climbing. She had always been the more cautious one than me and that was showing in her questioning my every decision.

I reached the top of the rocks and helped pull Maisie up with me.

'What are we going to do up here?' Maisie asked.

We can dangle our legs over the waterfall. It's much more fun than in the stream down there,' I explained.

Maisie seemed wary, 'I don't like being up here, Poppy. You know I can't swim.'

'So? We're not swimming.'

'But what if I fall into the stream at the bottom; I could drown.'

'Maisie, you know I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. You're safe.'

Maisie smiled at me but refused to join me in sitting down. I felt a tingling on my left hand that was resting on the rock. I turned away from Maisie and looked at what was the cause. There was a little ladybird crawling around. I immediately smiled. Ladybirds were one of my favourite insects - along with butterflies. I placed my finger from my other hand next to the ladybird for it to crawl on but it took off in flight. I laughed at its sudden timidness when the ladybird had been so bold as to crawl onto my hand. I liked the fluttering wings of the ladybird and just wanted to show Maisie.

'Hey, Maisie, look at the-' I started to talk but as I turned around... Maisie had disappeared.

'Maisie?' I called out. There was no reply. I started to get nervous.

I got onto my all fours and started crawling around quickly, looking around. She couldn't have just disappeared.

I looked over the edge of the waterfall and my question was answered. I saw Maisie, splashing around in the stream at the bottom of the waterfall. She must have jumped in when I wasn't looking and the noise of the waterfall blocked out her splash. It was only when I saw the look of terror on her face that I realised it; she hadn't jumped, she had fallen. My chest tightened when I remembered Maisie couldn't swim. She was drowning.

'MAISIE!' I yelled, reaching my arm over the waterfall edge. Her head kept bobbing up and down in the water. The fear made me struggle for breath just as Maisie must have been at that moment. I had to help her.

I crawled over to the rock edge and started to climb down. I lost my footing and ending up sliding down the rocks, feeling every point and sharp edge that I fell by. When I reached the bottom I couldn't focus on anything else other than the multiple scratches that were causing me pain. Then I snapped out of my own misfortune and remembered Maisie. I had to save her.

I peered my head around the side of the small rock cliff and saw Maisie in the water still. Little did I know that this was the little danger that I would face. I would have been able to get Maisie in time. I would have been able to calm her down, go back to our parents and then never come back to the waterfall again. But that would have been if that was the most dangerous situation we were put in that day. It wasn't.

I crouched down by the stream. I was arm's length away from where Maisie was drowning. I had only just got the memory back but the image of the terror in Maisie's face as she thought she was going to die was etched clearly in my mind. That face, now that I remembered it, was always going to haunt my nightmares.

I felt Callum crouch down next to me and place a hand on my shoulder, 'What happened next?'

'The bushes started to shake,' I said, 'As if someone was inside it. And there was. A second later they came into view.'

'Who?'

Uncle Colin. He stepped out from a bush and I smiled happily. He would be able to help Maisie a lot easier and quicker than I could, but for some reason I stayed glued in my spot. I didn't run to Uncle Colin happily. I stayed where I was. Maybe it was the curiosity, the wondering of how my Uncle found us in our moment of need. Or maybe it was because, even though I knew Uncle Colin would get Maisie out safely, I suddenly felt like I was in danger. I felt scared.

I watched Uncle Colin from my position. He did rush over and help Maisie out the pool. He handed her her cardigan to keep her warm. He even rubbed his hands up and down her arms to give her more body heat. But for some reason I still felt scared and like I needed to get back to my mother.

What Uncle Colin did next was more quizzical. He took hold of Maisie's hand, this bit was normal though as he was basically her family. My Uncle bent down so he could talk to Maisie better. Halfway through the conversation Maisie shook her head. She pointed the way we came and was presumably gesturing to our waiting parents who would, surely, be looking for us by now. Uncle Colin looked slightly annoyed and started pulling Maisie in the wrong direction. Maisie immediately pulled her hand out from his. Was he not letting her get back to her mum?

Maisie started looking around desperately. She was wondering where I went. Quickly enough, she made eye contact with me. But as she did I felt a cold hand over my mouth and gravity left me as I was lifted from the ground. I started struggling but whoever was holding me had a good grip. I could see Maisie start to run for her shoes but Colin was too quick and picked her up, kicking the shoes in the bush nearest to him. Everything was happening so fast that I felt confused. I wanted my mum.

I fought the only way an eight year old could. I kicked my legs back into whoever was holding me and bit their hand with all the might my jaw could manage. They flinched back letting me go and growled in annoyance.

I started to run for Maisie to help her. I ran over to Uncle Colin and trod on his toe. He moved back and held up one of his hands in a stop gesture. The other hand was needed in keeping Maisie restrained.

'Poppy, stop,' Uncle Colin demanded. 'Your mum is looking for you. I've come to take you back to her.'

Was this true? It did seem plausible as we had been here an awfully long time. I looked to Maisie for guidance. She was shaking her head fervently. She was disagreeing with what Uncle Colin was saying.

'You liar!' I accused. 'You don't want to take us home! Let Maisie go!'

Uncle Colin rolled his eyes and turned his hand in the stop position to a "come here" movement. He wasn't talking to me though; he was talking to the guy behind me, waiting for command.

Maisie looked at me and I heard one word come out her mouth, 'Run!'

I couldn't do that though, I couldn't leave Maisie here. I ran to her and grabbed her hand, pulling with all my might to get her out of Uncle Colin's grasp. He was too strong.

I had no choice but to run.

The man trying to grab me reached out his arm but I ducked and ran underneath it. I swerved around him and ran back through the bush, ripping my clothes on the branches as I went. All I could focus on was getting back to my parents and telling them what happened. But when I did, for some reason, I couldn't tell them about Uncle Colin taking Maisie. I was too shocked. Was this even real? Did my Uncle really just try to kidnap me? It couldn't be true. It couldn't.

'It's not your fault, Poppy,' Callum said.

'Yes, it is. I made her come here that day. Maisie didn't want to but I made her,' I replied. At that moment I was grateful for the rain to cover up my tears. At least one memory was good. I was worried about whether I just led Maisie or tried to fight for her. I knew now that I did fight for her. Instead of leaving when I freed myself from the grasp of the person holding me, I didn't run. I tried to help Maisie. And when she said "Run", I didn't. First I tried to pull her out of Colin's arms. I was so relieved that, in fact, I had fought for my best friend.

'You're not the one who kidnapped her,' Callum said, replying to what I said a second ago.

Then I realised something. This place was untouched. Nobody knew it was here. That meant nobody would have moved anything. I walked over to the bush that Uncle Colin kicked Maisie's shoe in. And sure enough there was a worn out, washed down black shoe. Maisie's shoe. The bush had protected it from the weather and animals. I pulled it out and held it to my chest. It felt like I was at a crime scene.

'Poppy, after you went back what happened?' Callum asked.

'Our parents started looking for Maisie. After a while my mum wanted to take me home and called someone to look after me. She went back out and carried on looking.'

'And did anything happen when you went home?'

'Oh, wait. Yes. I found a note from the abductor,' I said.

'A note? Like the ones you got at the start of the treasure hunt?' Callum questioned.

I nodded, 'Yeah, it was the first one. The second letter makes sense now. It said something about contacting me again in ten years. And that's what the abductor did... Can we go there? To my mum's house, I mean.'

'Yeah, course. I want you to get some food down you anyway.'

I rolled my eyes at Callum thinking about me eating rather than himself. He stood up and held my hand to help me up. I didn't let Callum let go after as I needed the comfort. Remembering the trauma of Maisie's disappearance had exhausted me, mentally. It was good to remember there was still some friendship in the world.

I gripped Maisie's shoe tight in my hand and Callum and I started walking back to the car. I was relieved to be walking away from the waterfall. It held too many bad memories.

We got in the car and had the short drive to my mother's house. I just needed to be somewhere homely and familiar before we discovered where the abductor was one final time.

When we got to my mother's house I had to ring the bell a few times before my mum answered. She must have been asleep. I had no idea what time it was, probably near dawn.

My mother answered the door in her pyjamas and her first expression was shock. I realised then that I must look like a mess. I hadn't had time to rest in a while.

'Hey mum,' I said as my mother wasn't speaking from still being in her shock from my appearance

'Poppy what's wrong? And Callum?! Why does your face look all bruised?' My mother screeched.

As the questions came spilling out her mouth I knew that there was no point in lying. The treasure hunt was so close to being done that by the time Colin realised my mother knew about it there would be no point in doing anything about it. I was going to explain everything.

'Mum..' I started to say.

'What on earth happened, Poppy? Did you get mugged? Who did this to you?'

'Mum, shush!'

My mother was quiet and looked at me with her full attention.

'Uncle Colin abducted Maisie.'

My mum started to fall back but grabbed the door frame for support. I didn't give her time to question before speaking again.

'I remember her disappearing.'

After the news before, she didn't seem so shocked at that.

'I've seen and spoken to dad tonight.'

That did catch her off guard. She put one hand up to her head.

'And Maisie's still alive, we saw her tonight.'

My mum looked at me then with a glimmer of happiness. I knew that she thought Maisie was as good as dead after ten years not hearing from her.

'Can you help me get to the sofa, please,' my mum said weakly.

Immediately Callum and I put one arm each over our shoulders and led my mother to the living room and onto a sofa. And then I explained. I explained about Maisie disappearing, I explained about the treasure hunt and the abductor, I explained about tonight. And then I explained everything my dad told me. And instead of being shocked at the last one, she nodded as if realising something.

'What? What do you know?' I asked her.

'Well, about your dad,' my mum said but she looked apprehensive. 'I knew your dad left us in order to protect us. He said something like that the night he left. And hearing it was Colin all along makes sense, him and both of your dads had an argument a few weeks before he left.'

'What?!' I shouted, 'Why would you not tell me this?!'

'I thought I had to, to protect you.'

'To protect me?!' I yelled standing up, 'Mum, I have just been near to death about a hundred times. This would have been valuable information to us!'

'Well how was I supposed to know what was happening? You didn't tell me anything,' my mum said trying to defend herself.

'Don't try and turn this around on me, if I told you then Colin would have killed you. He didn't hold back on that threat to anyone who did help us.'

'I'm not turning this around, Poppy! I'm just saying if I had known I would have told you. But as you couldn't tell me it's no one's fault.'

'No, mum, it's your fault. You should have still told me because then maybe I wouldn't have spent my childhood angry at my father for leaving. If I knew that he was protecting me then maybe I would have admired him for having the strength to leave the people who he loved.'

My mother burst into tears, 'I'm sorry, Poppy. I know I should have told you but I was in grieving. You don't know how hard this is for me too. I had to raise you by myself.'

I groaned in frustration, 'But at least you knew part of why he did it. At least you weren't turned away from one of the most important people in your life.'

'Poppy, that's enough. Your mothers been shouted at enough,' Callum said. 'You need to sleep. Mrs. Miller is it okay if we stay here tonight?'

She nodded in between her sobs.

'Thank you,' Callum responded. 'Poppy, go to your room and get some sleep. I'll sleep in the guest room. We'll get back to finding Maisie first thing in the morning.'

I started walking to my room and Callum followed me. I was about to enter when Callum stopped me.

'Poppy!' He called. 'Leave off your mum for a bit. It's been a pretty tough time for her too.'

I sighed but agreed, 'Yeah, I'll apologise tomorrow before we leave. If anything happens to me I couldn't bear the thought of my mum spending the rest of her life guilty for arguing.'

Callum smiled at me and squeezed my hand, 'I knew you'd do the right thing.'

And then there was a sort of tension. Once the whole mother situation had been sorted the only thing left to think about was what dangers the day ahead would bring us. Whether we would die. Whether we would get Maisie. Whether we would get answers and justice.

'It'll be alright, you know,' Callum said to me. It reminded me of the time Callum said it would be alright in the lift right at the start of the treasure hunt. That seemed like a lifetime ago. I had been through so much since then and maybe it would all be not worth it, if Maisie died.

'Well we can hope, can't we?' I replied, trying to keep the same optimism as Callum.

'Goodnight, Poppy.'

Callum gave my hand a final squeeze before walking off to the guest bedroom. I walked into my own room and set about my things for a shower. It felt nice to have time to relax and sleep. I hadn't had much chance to over the last couple of months but now I could sense the treasure hunt finishing. For some reason, even though I knew it was a definite probability, I couldn't imagine myself dying. Not even Callum. My life since Maisie disappeared had involved Callum in most ways. It would be strange and so upsetting if we were to die and that's why it was hard to imagine. And that's why I couldn't help my body feeling relaxed. That's why I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I went to sleep. Despite the danger, this thing was coming to an end. This whole thing would be over soon.

And then, in the distance, my phone started ringing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238 31 30
The story of bullying and romance and gangs. And abuse. It shows how any life can get out of hand. "My boyfriends father is choking me! Because I wo...
61.6K 3.6K 18
"That day at the park had been strange. I sat their alone with the sense of someone watching me swing on the swingset. My house was right down the st...
54.9K 1.4K 27
Tera's night hadn't been going all that good, her supposed friend Kane had been hitting on her all night apparently 'no' didn't mean no in Kane world...
594 25 22
As a young child Mystique was a confident, but conservative girl. She was quite the daredevil and loved new adventures. At the age of 8 and 11, Mysti...