The Case

By CharlieFenwick

A retelling of "Measure of a Man." Commander Bruce Maddox and Data have a long history. For the first few yea... More

Prelude to Moonlight
On Ice
Resigned
Solidarity
Zugzwang
Some Things Endure
Personal Effects
Closing Arguments
The Measure of a Man
Epilogue: The Man in the Mirror

Promises of Tomorrow

15 2 25
By CharlieFenwick

Author's Note: Holy shitsnacks Batman! We're halfway through this story.

Thank you for all your ongoing support. This is some pretty heavy material. Exploring Data's rights has always been one of the pivotal things that (IMHO) make Trek great.

And I really wanted to give it more oomph.

So the stakes are higher, we've dialled the drama up to eleven, and added a dash of romance.

With each chapter, we get a step closer to a big development in Data and Tasha's relationship.

We also get one step closer to Bruce Maddox's downfall...

This chapter is pretty heavy on the courtroom drama. It always struck me as odd that tests to determine sentience were excluded in the episode. Testing for sentience exists now (and has for some time). IMHO, a civilisation as advanced as the Federation would surely have such testing (and probably more advanced than us).

Enjoy! Thank you!

-X-

Data set his hairbrush down in front of the mirror. He turned his head side to side as he studied his appearance.

He glanced back at the dress uniform hanging on the hook on the wall.

Data had ensured it was freshly pressed from the garment processor. His boots were shined and ready for the hearing. Data had even cleaned his pips and combadge to ensure they were pristine.

Everything was perfect.

He sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed.

Perfect.

Data knew there was truth in Deanna's observation. Data spent so much time and effort to always be perfect. To act appropriately, to understand idioms, to emulate human fashion.

It was part of what drove him to art. It was an emotional release. Art also offered him the opportunity to experiment in ways that Data couldn't in the real world.

There was freedom in art – the same freedom he felt whenever he was alone with Tasha.

She didn't care when he practised jokes. She loved to watch him experiment with different hairstyles or try new foods. And Tasha was never judgemental about the way in which he processed emotion.

Data climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling.

It was unnervingly quiet.

He had grown accustomed to the sound of Tasha breathing. Now trying to sleep without it was like turning off a white noise machine.

Data turned to the side and ran his hand across Tasha's empty pillow.

He pulled it close and buried his face against it. He couldn't hold her, but he found solace in the familiar.

Though what he really wanted was to be held safe in the refuge of her arms.

-X-

"It's not going to eat itself," Riker commented as he looked down at Tasha's plate.

Her breakfast bowl sat untouched, and they were due to leave soon for Starbase 173.

Tasha stared down at the blueberries and granola in front of her. It was day three of no Data. What bothered Tasha most was the fact they were separated because of Maddox.

Tasha swore that she was going to find a way to hold him accountable for the trauma he inflicted on Data.

But despite her best efforts, Maddox had been far more cautious since their encounter in the lounge.

When she wasn't scheming ways to undermine her own case, Tasha was busy researching Maddox and Walsh for any connection between the two.

She was frustrated that she couldn't bounce ideas off Data or spend the night snuggled together on the sofa doing research together.

They were always better as a team.

"T, we should get moving," Riker said.

"Right," Tasha agreed.

-X-

Phillipa Louvois's gavel slammed down against the block on the surface of her table.

"This hearing, convened on stardate 42527.4, is to determine the legal status of the android known as Data," Louvois announced. "The office of the Judge Advocate General has rendered a finding of property. The defence has challenged."

As the JAG office was not yet complete, they were assembled in the conference room of Starbase 173. The Operations team on base had worked overnight to arrange tables for Louvois, the prosecution team, the defence, and a witness stand.

There was also seating for a limited number of spectators – but there was additional space above in a balcony that encircled the conference chamber.

Typically this room was employed for diplomatic functions and the balcony was where public spectators and media could observe the events below.

But there was no media today.

Tasha suspected Starfleet was doing everything they could to keep this case from reaching the eyes and ears of a wider audience.

In this case, the balcony was packed with people from the Enterprise that had turned out in support of Data.

"We'll begin opening arguments," Louvois stated.

She turned to Commander Riker and motioned for him to proceed.

"Your honour," Riker nodded.

He rose from his seat to address the bench.

"Starfleet has rendered a finding of property. In 2337, Data was discovered by Starfleet personnel from the USS Tripoli," Riker said. "Data was discovered by Starfleet. And for the last twenty-seven years, Data has been in the service of Starfleet."

Commander Riker was very careful to always refer to Data by name. It was a compromise they had reached with Haffley and Maddox.

Both Maddox and Haffley had insisted that they refer to Data as 'it' rather than 'he.' They felt that to ascribe pronouns to Data only reinforced his case for personhood.

They wanted to strip Data of everything – including his identity.

Commander Riker and Tasha had been mortified. They had outright refused to cooperate with that plan. But Haffley and Maddox had far too much power. With Admiral Henry backing them, there had been a terse conversation on an emergency subspace channel in which Henry had reminded them of their duty.

So Will and Tasha had reluctantly proposed a compromise. They would always refer to Data by his name.

"Unless you plan to strip him of that too?" Tasha had asked in an icy tone.

"By his own admission, Data is a machine," Riker went on. "And the recent discovery of a second android identical to Data resulted in the near annihilation of the Flagship."

Picard had anticipated this would be their primary argument.

Security. He thought bitterly.

The very word left a sour taste in his mouth.

But for Data, hearing this argument drew out an entirely different set of emotions.

Data still felt guilty for believing in Lore. He had been so desperate for some connection, some sense of family.

Lore had played on Data's desire to not be alone in the universe. He used Data and tricked him to participate in an information-sharing process. Lore had promised it would be a two-way share in which Data would learn more about his past and Lore would be able to 'catch up' on all the information he had missed during his twenty-seven years of deactivation.

Lore had taken what he wanted from Data and then discarded him.

Gaining and losing a brother like that had taken a deep toll on Data's psyche.

The fact that Lore went on to hurt Wesley, Beverly, and Tasha felt like a betrayal.

Lore's attempted attack on the Enterprise was something no one could forget. And it hadn't been easy to move on.

Data lived with the guilt of that information share every single day.

For Data, it was a failure – both in his duty to Starfleet and to the people that relied on Data's dispassionate and objective mind to keep them safe.

Moments like that had a nasty way of creeping into Data's neural net. There were times where he considered that perhaps Maddox was right, perhaps he wasn't designed to handle emotion?

Data had a difficult time separating those feelings of guilt from the longstanding struggle to recognise and accept his own personhood.

It was one of the reasons Data was so grateful for Deanna's counselling sessions. They had been working through this trauma.

As Data had no memory from before his deactivation, his earliest memories were of his first few weeks aboard the USS Tripoli.

The Captain had been kind. She had recognised Data for what he was – a beautiful, sentient lifeform.

And it was those days that Data had clung to during his captivity under Maddox.

Maddox had made Data feel worthless.

He kept Data isolated both physically and emotionally. Data was rarely permitted to interact with others aside from Maddox himself.

Maddox threatened, intimidated, and manipulated Data – stripping away any sense of self and conditioning him to believe that he was not capable of emotion or dreams.

Like a child shut away from the world, this abuse had broken Data. He had struggled ever since to balance his desire for friendship, love, and intimacy against the trauma that had been engrained in his mind.

The trauma that made Data feel that his needs were unimportant, his dreams were nothing more than programming, and that he was unworthy of love.

Between Deanna's counselling, the support of Tasha and Geordi, and his own determination, Data had overcome this.

He had an established career, numerous friends, a healthy work-life balance, and a strong relationship.

"On Stardate 41747.6, Data engaged in a neural transfer with the android Lore," Riker said. "During this exchange, all of the information contained in Data's neural network was transferred to the android Lore. This includes information on Starfleet operating procedures, regulations, Starbase and ship locations, engineering schematics, security reports-"

For Data, it was like hearing a list of crimes.

"Most importantly, this transfer included command codes," Riker said.

"You honour, relevancy?" Picard objected, rising from his seat. "Those command codes were immediately changed. The threat is moot."

Captain Louvois turned her attention back to Commander Riker.

"Your honour, this goes to the heart of Starfleet's argument," Riker protested.

"Overruled," Louvois declared, rejecting Captain Picard's objection. "Commander Riker, please continue."

"Captain Picard is correct, the command codes were changed," Riker acknowledged. "And as Data possess the ability to recall every conversation he has ever heard with precision, it should be noted that the command codes had to be changed for two hundred and eighteen members of the Enterprise crew."

Data felt smaller than he had in ages.

"An additional forty-one command code changes were necessary for the crew of your last posting, the USS Tantalus. Seventeen from the Repulse. A hundred and twenty-nine on the Trieste. Eight hundred and sixty-four on Starbases 9, 54, 118 and Starbase McKinley," Riker went on.

There was an extensive list.

"All in all, Starfleet had to issue over three thousand new command codes in order to plug up this leak," Riker said. "Making this incident one of the largest compromises of Starfleet Security in recent memory."

It was damning evidence.

The worst part was – it was all true.

Tasha had put in some long hours after Lore's departure cleaning up the mess that was left in his wake. Individual command codes, shield grid passcodes, and response plans all had to be adjusted.

"It is the opinion of Starfleet, Data can best serve Starfleet through the research of Commander Maddox's office," Riker said. "Furthermore, it is imperative that Data be securely held in one facility."

On the surface, Starfleet's argument seemed perfectly sound.

"Therefore, we ask that the court uphold its previous ruling," Riker concluded.

Tasha was gripping her pen so tight that her fingers were white.

Data had carefully watched her since the hearing began. It was the first chance they had really had to see one another since Louvois's ruling had placed them on opposite sides of the bench.

Data could see from the mild swelling under the orbit of her eyes that Tasha was feeling fatigued. He could only theorise as to how difficult it would be for her to sleep at a time like this.

It was reassuring to be in her presence, though it stung they were separated from one another.

Tasha kept her head low as she took notes, carefully avoiding eye contact with Data while Captain Picard gave his opening argument.

"The facts of this case may seem simple. But the implications of this ruling are far more complex," Captain Picard began. "Since its inception, the United Federation of Planets has always enjoyed diversity of citizenship."

Jean-Luc cleared his throat and stepped out from behind the table.

"For the last twenty-seven years, Data has, for all intents and purposes, been a citizen of the Federation," Picard declared. "And Data has spent twenty-four of those years in the service of Starfleet."

Nearly the entirety of his existence had been dedicated to serving Starfleet.

"Data has given his time, his mind, and his body to Starfleet already," Picard continued. "The notion that he should be denied the full rights of Federation citizenship because of his inorganic body is both historically and legally baseless."

Jean-Luc knew that his claim was grand. He would have to demonstrate a connection between Data and other organic sentient beings that were recognised by the Federation.

"In the last two centuries, the United Federation of Planets has recognised over one thousand new, distinct sentient lifeforms with many different types of biochemistry," Picard said.

It was true.

The Federation had recognised a number of lifeforms with sulphur, boranes, phosphorus, and silicon-based biochemistry.

"In fact, as a part silicon, part carbon-based being, Mr Data has far more in common with you and I than some of the other Federation member species," Picard argued.

Picard paused. He touched his fingers against the edge of the table to ground himself.

"Your honour, we will demonstrate that Mr Data is a sentient being. And as such, he is deserving of the same rights and privileges of any sentient being – Federation citizen or not," Picard concluded.

In Jean-Luc's mind, that was an important distinction.

Data was not recognised as a citizen under Federation law. But the law provided protection for non-citizen sentient species encountered by Starfleet.

With opening arguments out of the way, Louvois was ready to hear requests for witnesses from both parties.

Tasha had successfully convinced Commander Haffley and Commander Maddox that their strongest argument was to keep the focus on Data's status as a machine.

It was a carefully cultivated plan to give Captain Picard a number of opportunities to chip away at their argument.

Tasha only hoped that Captain Picard would recognise those openings and take them.

As suspected, Captain Louvois had ordered that the defence limit the character witness list. Jean-Luc and Data had been prepared for this possibility.

However, they were shocked that Louvois had limited it so drastically.

Of the hundreds of possible witnesses, the court was only willing to permit five total character witnesses. In fact, Louvois had limited both parties to five witnesses per witness type.

"I'm sorry Captain, but I cannot permit you to admit Admiral Rahim Farooq as a character witness for this hearing," Louvois declared as she read the list.

"Your honour, Admiral Farooq is perhaps the best qualified individual on that list," Picard argued.

"As much as the court would love to indulge this request, I am afraid that it would take weeks for Admiral Farooq to arrive," Louvois said. "As he is not available for questioning in a timely manner, the court has no choice but to strike him from the witness list."

It was a huge blow to their strategy – but one Captain Picard and Data had anticipated.

"In that case, we submit the name of Lieutenant Tracee Jae as a substitute character witness," Picard said.

There was no objection from the prosecution.

Playing into Maddox's ego, Commander Riker and Tasha were working on an angle that their case was infallible.

After all, Maddox was the foremost expert in his field.

The prosecution had kept its witness list slim. Maddox himself would testify as an expert. His assistant, Lieutenant Brooks, would also testify as an expert witness.

Commander Haffley had called in a civilian consultant that worked for Starfleet Security to testify as to the "Federation Security" angle of the case.

Her name was Doctor Rosalind Wexler. Tasha was familiar with her work as a consultant and had attended one of Wexler's presentations years earlier at Starfleet Academy.

She was considered a specialist in the areas of artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and robotics.

To Tasha's annoyance, Bruce Maddox had specifically requested that they include Ensign Tristan Lewis as a part of the witness list.

Tasha considered this proof positive of Walsh's involvement. His hand had to be behind Lewis's inclusion on the witness list.

Lewis was a friend of Ensign Drew Walsh.

Months earlier, this whole feud with the Walsh's had kicked off after Tasha had charged Walsh with workplace harassment.

Walsh and several of his compatriots had attempted an elaborate effort to intimidate Tasha and other victims of their actions.

The end result was Ensign Drew Walsh being discharged from Starfleet entirely. Two of his accomplices – Ensign Armando Gomez and Lieutenant Elliot Harris were reassigned.

Tristan Lewis was never quiet a member of the circle known as the 'Beta Shift Boys.' As his involvement was limited to the peripheral, he had escaped any formal disciplinary actions.

But Lewis had remained in contact with his former associates and held Data and Tasha responsible for what he viewed as a heavy-handed response to 'a little fun.'

Tasha wasn't too worried.

She anticipated Lewis would repeat the talking points Ensign Walsh, Lieutenant Harris, and Ensign Gomez had attempted to use against Data before.

Captain Picard could establish such statements as hearsay.

Their last and final witness was Data himself.

Neither Riker nor Tasha was keen to examine Data as a witness, but they recognised it was necessary. Failing to call Data to the stand would throw up too many red flags.

Tasha also thought it might be good in working against their case.

The more Data spoke, the more chances he had to demonstrate who he was. And the better it would be for Data.

-X-

During the first four hours of the hearing, Commander Riker and Tasha presented evidence based on Data's schematics and Maddox's initial research.

They walked Louvois through a brief history of cybernetics research and attempts to create androids.

The prosecution also gave a detailed account of other androids Starfleet had encountered. This included the lost Korby expedition and the mysterious androids of Exo III.

The presentation also covered the androids of unknown origin supposedly from the Andromeda Galaxy encountered by a previous Enterprise and her crew in 2268.

In both instances, the androids were lost – unavailable for further study.

According to the original mission logs, the androids encountered were so lifelike in their appearance, the crew had initially been unable to detect they were really androids.

In Maddox's mind, this was clear evidence that Doctor Soong had created Data to serve as part of a labour class and not a sentient being.

After all, why else would Soong give Data such an unusual appearance?

-X-

After a recess for lunch, the hearing resumed at 14:00 hours. It kicked off with expert testimony from Commander Maddox himself.

Maddox took the witness stand and placed his dominant hand on the computer verification system.

"Verify, Commander Maddox, Bruce D., Associate Chair of Robotics, Daystrom Institute. Starfleet Security, Research and Development Cybernetics Division," the computer recited.

"What's the 'D' stand for?" Riker whispered.

"Dick," Tasha replied out of the corner of her mouth.

Riker flashed her a look, wordlessly asking for the real answer.

Tasha shook her head ever so slightly to indicate she was telling the truth.

"Really?" Riker asked in a hushed voice.

Yes. Tasha mouthed.

Once the computer had concluded reading off a lengthy list of Maddox's qualifications, Tasha took the lead in questioning.

"Commander Maddox, you are considered the foremost cybernetics expert in Starfleet," Tasha began. "And you previously studied Data for three years, is that correct?"

"Yes," Maddox answered.

"Logs indicate that during that time, you conducted a multitude of tests on Data," Tasha continued. "Would you please explain what tests were completed?"

They had prepared for this line of questioning and had slides ready on the viewscreen.

Tasha clicked through the appropriate slides as Commander Maddox walked the room through the various tests and their parameters.

"And what is the purpose of these tests?" Tasha inquired.

As she turned away from the witness stand, Tasha briefly locked eyes with Data and prayed to any deity that was listening that he got the hint.

"The initial trial stage was designed to study the android's physical strength output and response to environmental stimuli," Maddox shared. "The second phase focused on the android's computation skills and memory capacity."

"And the third phase?" Tasha asked.

"Physiology," Maddox answered.

Physiology.

Data wanted to react.

It was such callous way to rationalise the physical and sexual abuse that Maddox perpetrated.

"And in your opinion, based on the findings of your own research, is Data a sentient being?" Tasha asked.

She had chosen her words carefully.

"No," Maddox replied simply.

"Can you elaborate?" Tasha requested.

Maddox nodded and sat forward in the witness stand.

"Data is the most advanced piece of technology known to man," Maddox said. "It is designed to observe and emulate human behaviour. But what some perceive as sentience, is nothing more than sophisticated programming."

Maddox looked quite pleased with himself.

"And what is your interest in Data now?" Tasha asked.

Maddox froze.

He hadn't been expecting that question.

In fact, Starfleet had requested that Tasha and Commander Riker avoided asking at all. And that was precisely why Tasha had slipped it in.

"Research," Maddox replied.

He did not elaborate further, and Tasha didn't push it.

But in posing the question, it opened a window for Captain Picard to cross-examine Maddox on the topic.

"Thank you, no further questions," Tasha said.

-X-

As Tasha returned to the table, Data was fixated on the far wall. His eyes were flitting back and forth rapidly as he replayed Maddox's testimony in his mind.

Specifically, he concentrated on Tasha's questions.

What was the purpose of these tests?

In your opinion based on the findings of your research.

Based on the findings.

"Sir," Data said.

He leaned in close to Captain Picard and whispered something too softly for the rest of the room to pick up on.

"Data?" Picard asked, clarifying that he wanted to proceed in that direction.

"It is only a theory, sir. But yes," Data replied.

Picard nodded.

"Then I'll make it so," Picard replied.

"Captain? Are you ready to proceed with the cross-examination?" Louvois inquired.

Picard stood up and pulled down his uniform to straighten it.

"Commander Maddox, were there any other tests conducted on Data by you or any other researchers?" Picard inquired.

Assuming the question was a subtle way to dig at Maddox for the abuse, Maddox scoffed.

"No," he sneered. "Are you implying there's a problem with my logs?"

"Not at all," Picard replied innocently.

Maddox's eyes travelled past Picard to glare at Data.

"I ask because there are a number of tests that have been utilised in other circumstances to aid in determining the sentience of new lifeforms," Picard went on.

Maddox's lip curled.

"Did you ever conduct an interview with Data?" Picard asked.

"No," Maddox answered.

"A CNS diagnostic exam?" Picard inquired.

"No," Maddox replied slowly.

"A mirror test?" Picard questioned.

It was a simple exam that took only minutes in which a lifeform was placed in front of a mirror. Though rudimentary, the test was designed to test consciousness. If a subject recognised itself in front of the mirror, then it passed. Subjects that failed either ignored the mirror entirely or identified the reflection as a being similar but separate from itself.

"It's a machine, not an infant," Maddox spat.

"Is that a no?" Picard clarified.

"Correct," Maddox responded.

The irritation present in his voice was obvious.

"An Intelligence Signal Test?" Picard asked.

"It's a machine!" Maddox barked.

Captain Picard had ruffled his feathers. That had been one of his goals. Jean-Luc wanted to exploit that, but his primary goal was more important.

So he allowed Louvois to field that ball.

"Answer the question, please," Louvois instructed.

"No," Maddox said gruffly.

"What about a Turing test?" Picard inquired.

Maddox paused.

"That test is over three hundred years old," Maddox replied. "So, no."

"Did you ever test Data with a KEEGG scanner?" Picard inquired.

A KEEGG scanner was a common medical device used in most modern Sickbays. It was a device that combined EEG, EKG, the pulmonary scanner, and brain activity to read emotion.

Beverly used the device in all her examinations.

"I'm a cyberneticist," Maddox answered. "Not a doctor."

Picard strolled around the back of the witness stand as he tapped his tablet to read the next page of his notes.

"In total, there are over sixty-three known tests recognised in many fields of study to determine sentience," Picard said. "During your study of Mr Data, did you conduct any of these tests?"

Maddox fell silent.

He realised he had backed himself into a trap.

"Mr Maddox?" Louvois prompted.

"No," Maddox answered in a terse voice.

From across the room, Data and Tasha briefly shared a glance. Data had gotten the hint and her plan had worked.

"So when you say that in your expert opinion based on the findings of your research that Data is not sentient, those findings included no research whatsoever into testing for sentience in Data?" Picard pressed.

"Your honour, the defence is leading the witness," Tasha said.

She knew what part she had to play.

Her objection was moot. Even if Louvois sustained it, the damage was done.

"No further questions at this time," Picard said.

-X-

"You set me up," Maddox hissed as he turned and shoved Tasha against the wall.

"Whoa! Hey!" Riker said, raising his voice.

"You set me up!" Maddox repeated.

Tasha remained perfectly calm.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Tasha replied without even a hint of remorse.

"Bruce," Haffley said as he put his arm on Maddox's shoulder.

Maddox leaned in close and leered at Tasha.

"I don't know what game you think you're playing, but you'd best remember what team you're playing for," Maddox warned.

There was a soft knock at the door to the side of the chamber. It was a private room for the prosecution to meet in without being overheard.

"They're ready to resume," a Lieutenant informed them.

-X-

Doctor Crusher was the first expert witness called by the defence. Originally, Captain Picard had intended to call on Geordi.

He was their strongest chance to counter Maddox.

But based on a tip from Data, Picard had opted to switch things around.

"Verified, Crusher, MD, Beverly Cheryl Howard. Chief Medical Officer, USS Enterprise," the computer verification announced.

After some preliminary questions establishing her credentials and relationship to Data, Jean-Luc moved the heart of his argument.

"Doctor, could you walk us through your experience with Commander Data on Stardate 41249.3?" Picard inquired.

Beverly nodded.

"Commander Data was one of several officers I examined as part of an order from Captain Picard to run a routine medical check on the senior Bridge staff," Beverly explained.

It had been during their encounter with a strange energy cloud while transporting the Antican and Selay delegates to neutral territory for peace negotiations.

"As part of my exam, I used a KEEGG device during the exam," Beverly said.

"Could you describe for the court what a KEEGG device is?" Picard requested.

"It is a machine that is connected to the body at several points. Small pads are attached to the temples, wrist, and chest cavity," Beverly explained. "The pads are connected to a KEEGG reader that displays cardiovascular and brain activity, respiratory function, body temperature, and emotion."

Everyone in the room had used a KEEGG at some point.

"In short, it is a neural analyser," Beverly said. "A tool often used in medical and psychological applications."

Data recalled the day fondly.

At the time, his relationship with Tasha had just started. Simultaneously, Data began to question what he felt was the development of emotions and new sensations – including taste.

"And how did your medical assessment of Commander Data go?" Picard inquired.

"Routine," Beverly answered.

Jean-Luc handed a table over to Beverly and asked her to read the findings of her medical exam for the court.

"Medical Examination log Stardate 41249.3. Patient Lieutenant Commander Data. Examining physician, Crusher, MD.," Beverly recited. "Patient has experienced no recent injury, illness, or pain. In the last twenty-four hours the patient reports consuming eight ounces of synthesised whisky, a standard serving of oatmeal, and half a serving of white grapes."

Maddox mumbled something under his breath as Beverly read through the report.

"Patient reports engaging in sexual activity twice in the last twenty-four period," Beverly went on.

It was a routine question for any physical exam.

"Patient's cardiopulmonary and respiratory systems show no abnormalities. Brain activity remains unchanged. Emotional health, satisfactory," Beverly concluded.

"What is your role in determining emotional health?" Picard asked.

"As a physician, I have training to identify emotional health concerns during an exam and refer patients out as necessary," Beverly answered.

Physical injury and illness often involved an emotional component. An important part of Beverly's job was to identify which patients needed counselling services and coordinate a care plan with Deanna.

"How do you make such determinations?" Picard inquired.

"Identifying behaviour. There are a certain number of questions we ask and clues we are trained to listen for," Beverly replied. "Additionally, we use the KEEGG device to monitor emotional response."

Louvois perked up as she listened to Beverly's testimony.

"Are you saying Data registers an emotional response on a KEEGG machine?" Picard clarified.

"Yes," Beverly answered. "Data's physiology, including neural activity and emotional response, registers on the device. The same as any humanoid."

"Doctor, how can you be certain this is genuine?" Picard pressed.

He wanted there to be no doubt in Beverly's testimony.

"The emotional response is active. It registers change with different situations. For example, when physically examined, it registers fear and apprehension that correspond with Data's hesitancy at being treated as a test subject," Beverly said.

Maddox leaned in close next to Commander Riker.

"This is ridiculous," he growled.

"The KEEGG device also recorded the emotion of joy when Data discussed upcoming plans with his friends," Beverly said.

"Anything else you observed?" Picard asked.

He was moving in for the kill shot, a tactic designed to strike right through the heart of Maddox's argument.

"And it registered desire and joy when Mr Data discussed his personal relationship with his partner," Beverly said. "The same behaviour is exhibited in humans, Andorians, Berellians, Betazoids, Bolians, Denobulans, Kelpians, Klingons, Orions, Vulcans-"

"We get the point!" Maddox snapped from across the room.

"Mr Maddox, please control yourself," Louvois requested.

She turned her attention back to Captain Picard and Doctor Crusher.

"Though, I am inclined to agree. Your point is well taken, Doctor," Louvois said, urging Beverly to move along.

"What is the significance of this, Doctor?" Picard asked.

"In my opinion as a physician and Chief Medical Officer of the Enterprise, Data is sentient," Beverly declared.

Tasha glanced over at Commander Riker, wordlessly asking for permission to handle the cross examination.

"Do it," Riker ordered.

He trusted Tasha completely.

Before she could get up, Haffley caught her arm.

"Shut this down," Haffley ordered.

Tasha got up and approached the witness stand.

"Doctor Crusher, are you an engineer?" Tasha asked.

"No," Beverly answered.

"What experience do you have, if any, in the field of cybernetics?" Tasha questioned.

"In the last decade, I have performed seven hundred and eighty-one procedures involving cybernetic implants, biosynthetic organs, and cybernetic prosthetics," Beverly answered. "I'm a certified physician and surgeon."

"Do you handle repairs on cybernetic prosthetics?" Tasha inquired.

"No, that would be handled by an engineer," Beverly replied.

"Why is that?" Tasha asked.

Beverly knew Tasha was only doing her job as a prosecutor, but she didn't care for the question.

"Because I'm not a trained engineer," Beverly replied.

"And such repairs-" Tasha began to ask.

"Are not my expertise," Beverly concluded with a hint of disapproval.

-X-

Geordi's testimony went as expected. Captain Picard's strategy was to put Geordi up as a counter to Maddox.

They were both brilliant engineers and Geordi was the closest thing they had (next to Data) on the subject of cybernetics.

Commander Riker had handled the cross examination on Geordi's testimony.

He kept his questions limited in scope. Like Beverly, Riker focused on pointing out that Geordi was technically an engineer and not a cyberneticist.

His knowledge on the field was limited to examining Data in the capacity of an engineer.

And as Geordi was brought in as an expert witness and not a character witness, he could not address his friendship with Data or personal opinions on Data's sentience from the perspective as a colleague.

-X-

Next on the witness stand was Lieutenant Bobby Brooks. He was the assistant cyberneticist that had served under Maddox for nearly a decade.

His testimony went according to Haffley's plan – reciting a list of pre-rehearsed talking points that reinforced Maddox's assessment of Data.

Captain Picard had kept his cross simple. He chose to focus on questions that reinforced his earlier argument and downplayed the designation of Brooks as an 'expert.'

Brooks had only ever studied Data from the schematics and logs available.

In fact, Brooks had never studied an android at all – even the prototypes developed by the Daystrom Institute.

His speciality was in robotics and Captain Picard did a magnificent job of painting Brooks as unqualified.

Brooks had fallen apart under Picard's calm but poignant line of questioning.

By the time he left the stand, Brooks had done more damage than good – and Haffley and Maddox were furious.

"I thought you said he was your man?" Haffley whispered.

"Not after this performance," Maddox grumbled.

-X-

Deanna's testimony had gone as expected. In her capacity as a counsellor, she had offered critical insight as to Data's emotional development.

Deanna also provided expert witness testimony in confirming that Data was capable of decision-making and independent thought.

While a counsellor may have seemed a far cry from a cyberneticist, Captain Picard pointed out that the ship's counsellor was one of only a handful of officers that had 'veto' authority to rule someone medically unfit for duty.

Her opinion was also a valued component of any Bridge officer's assessment in fitness for duty.

Tasha had taken the cross and repeated their strategy.

Deanna was not an engineer or cyberneticist.

-X-

Doctor Wexler was running late. Her shuttle from the USS Venture had not yet arrived and so the hearing proceeded with the remainder of the defence's expert witness list.

Lieutenant Commander Evelyn Addison was the Departmental Head of the Enterprise Exobiology team.

Not only did she work directly under Data, but Lieutenant Commander Addison had also been a member of three teams that had discovered sentient life during previous assignments.

She spoke of her experience with Data and confidence that he was a sentient being.

"Of these sixty-three tests to determine sentience cited earlier by Captain Picard, how many have you performed on Data?" Riker inquired.

"None," Lieutenant Commander Addison answered.

Commander Riker was ready to end questioning there, but Addison wasn't finished.

"That's because I've never wondered about Mr Data's sentience," Addison said firmly. "It's never been in question."

"Ms Addison, please," Louvois said.

"I'll be happy to conduct a thorough series of tests at the bequest of this court to-" Addison began to argue.

"Order," Louvois said as she tapped her gavel.

"Your honour, would the court be interested in the findings of such tests?" Picard asked.

"Very," Louvois responded.

Bruce Maddox immediately went on high alert.

"Do something," Maddox hissed as he tugged on the sleeve of Riker's uniform.

"What do you propose?" Riker asked.

"Tick tock," Haffley remarked.

He tapped the timepiece on his wrist to remind them of the deadline.

"These tests could take weeks, months even," Maddox said in a low voice.

"Some of these tests take significant time," Tasha said as she stood.

She couldn't completely ignore the request. Maddox obviously wanted it stopped and Tasha was already treading on thin ice.

Louvois was in agreement with the prosecution.

"What tests is the defence proposing?" Louvois inquired. "And what is the estimated time to completion?"

Captain Picard looked to Commander Addison to explain.

"They vary in length. On the Enterprise, we are equipped to conduct nineteen different tests for sentience," Addison answered.

Some were more thorough than others. There were also tests that weren't necessarily applicable in Data's situation. Not all lifeforms received or transmitted information in the same manner as most humanoids.

"As Commander Data has audio speech capabilities and his physiology is essentially human, there are three primary tests we use in those circumstances," Addison informed the court.

Addison paused.

Louvois could sense there was something else she wanted to share. Given that she was an exobiologist, Louvois did not want to discount her input.

"Commander? What is it?" Louvois asked.

"We don't use these tests with humanoids we encounter," Addison responded. "Everything in our training, my years in the field...we would never perform a sentience test on a lifeform like Data."

It was part of why the crew that had originally discovered Data had never conducted such tests.

Sure, they studied his physiology – but they never thought to test for sentience.

"It just isn't done," Addison went on. "Hypothetically, if we were to encounter Data as a new lifeform on a mission then we would have automatically logged him as a sentient being. We do this routinely with-"

"With organic beings. Lifeforms," Maddox interjected.

He was practically shouting.

"It is not a lifeform!" Maddox insisted. "It doesn't even register on sensors!"

"Contain your client," Louvois ordered.

"Mr Maddox, please," Riker said.

"I recognise this is a significant disagreement with both parties. But it cuts to the core of what we are here to determine," Louvois said. "As such, in good conscience, the court cannot proceed to rule if it overlooks scientific testing that is designed to evaluate sentience."

Maddox opened his mouth to lodge a complaint, but Louvois anticipated his dissent.

"I acknowledge that time is of the essence," Louvois said.

Admiral Henry and the weight of Starfleet Security were hanging over the proceedings. Henry argued it was morally imperative and a matter of Federation Security 'at the highest levels' to ensure Data was secured as quickly as possible.

Louvois was already risking dismissal just for granting a hearing on the appeal.

"Commander Addison, how long would it take to complete the three primary tests your department typically uses?" Louvois inquired.

"Forty-eight hours," Addison replied.

"This cannot proceed," Haffley whispered.

"End this. Now," Maddox ordered.

Tasha turned around and studied Maddox's expression.

"Why?" Tasha asked.

"T," Riker cautioned.

"No, why?" Tasha repeated.

Maddox sneered.

"These tests are designed to determine sentience. By your own assertion, Data is not sentient. And you are supposed to be the expert in your field. If Data is truly not sentient, this test only confirms your claim," Tasha argued.

Tasha could see Haffley was thinking about. Maddox on the other hand looked as if there was something sour on his tongue.

"Or are you afraid of the test results?" Tasha asked.

She had to stop herself from asking if he was afraid of being exposed as a fraud.

Tasha was calling his bluff, checking his ego – and Maddox knew it.

He stayed silent, unable to formulate a proper response. Tasha saw her moment and moved to drive in the final nail in the coffin of Maddox's ego.

"I should warn you that if we refuse to cooperate, you could open the door for another appeal," Tasha added.

"What?" Haffley asked.

"Oh, oh! I read this," Riker exclaimed.

He'd been brushing up on his Federation law in hopes of being a more active participant in the process.

"The Manicotti Doctrine," Riker said as he snapped his fingers triumphantly.

"Close," Tasha replied.

She smiled.

"The Montefract Principle," Tasha explained. "If a test or assessment exists that is peer-reviewed and recognised within the scientific community as being able to accurately render findings that would influence the outcome of a legal ruling is not entered into evidence, either party can appeal the outcome to a higher court."

Maddox scoffed in disbelief.

"This is preposterous," Maddox remarked.

"You can look it up if you don't believe me," Tasha offered as she handed him her tablet.

The Montefract Principle was so named after one Paul Montefract.

In 2298, he had been accused of murdering his commanding officer. Montefract had pleaded his innocence based on the grounds that he was not capable of perpetrating such a crime.

The victim's cause of death was ruled to be strangulation. Montefract suffered from a rare genetic disease that prevented from having the strength necessary to strangle another person to death.

Despite his pleas to introduce evidence and testing that confirmed this, Montefract was found guilty.

After a six-year saga, Montefract was eventually granted an appeal and exonerated.

"And there are about....oh, six decades of Federation case law that back that," Tasha shared as she rocked her head side to side. "It would seem your choice would be to wait forty-eight hours or risk having to go through this entire process again."

She made a face, pretending to be disgusted by the idea of it.

"It's no secret the oversight committee has always struggled with backlog," Tasha said.

"Starfleet is not going to wait a year for this to go to the oversight committee," Haffley said.

Riker saw his opportunity to move in.

"As the lead prosecutor on this case assigned to represent Starfleet, I feel that it is in our best interests to agree to the testing," Riker said.

Haffley was fully convinced.

"Of course," Haffley agreed.

Admiral Henry would have his hide if word got back to the Admiral that Haffley had allowed such an opportunity for an appeal to crop up down the road.

"Fine," Maddox said through gritted teeth.

He squared his shoulders and rolled his neck around.

"But I want to observe. And I want equal oversight authority to reach my own conclusions," Maddox insisted.

Tasha wanted to roll her eyes.

Data could literally pass any and all tests for sentience and Maddox would still declare he wasn't a person.

The tests would be an exercise in futility with Maddox having equal oversight authority.

"It's only fair," Haffley shrugged.

Riker and Tasha exchanged a dark look.

They didn't need to convince Maddox – just Louvois.

Riker stood to deliver the news.

"We'll agree to the timeline and proposed tests so long as Commander Maddox is granted equal oversight authority to observe and draw his own conclusions," Riker said.

Louvois nodded.

"Then I hereby order that this hearing will stand in recess for forty-eight hours so that the agreed testing can be completed. You will render your findings then," Louvois ordered.

With a bang of the gavel, the hearing ground to a halt.

-X-

"Savage," Maddox commented.

He walked over to Haffley's desk and rifled through the top drawer until he found a bottle of whisky.

Commander Riker, Tasha, Commander Haffley, and Maddox were assembled in Haffley's office to finalise their role in the testing.

Maddox poured himself a stiff drink and then turned back to the rest of the group.

"We'll meet you at the space dock port and accompany you to the lab," Riker explained.

"I said savage," Maddox repeated, interrupting the conversation.

The three stopped talking and turned to Maddox.

He sauntered forward and leered at Commander Riker, eyeing him up and down with an obvious look of revulsion.

"You're an overgrown clown," Maddox said. "And the only reason you and I hold the same rank is that Starfleet Command has to promote pretty boys like you as Bridge Officers because they can't risk brilliant minds like myself getting blown up by consoles."

Riker just laughed.

He was used to people like Maddox making assumptions about his intelligence because of his size and appearance.

"And you," Maddox said, turning on Tasha.

He leaned in close, towering over her in an attempt at intimidation.

"You are either very clever or incredibly foolish," Maddox remarked.

"Bruce," Haffley said in a polite, warning tone.

It was an appeal to reason – only Maddox had none.

Maddox took a few steps back. Then he tipped his head and slowly sipped on his whisky.

"I just don't get it," Maddox said as he swirled his tumbler. "By my count, the defence has already scored five victories in there."

He smirked as if the idea was comical.

"Three expert witnesses. You set me up to be torn apart on the cross. Don't deny it," Maddox warned in an icy voice.

He looked up and glared.

"And now a forty-eight hour delay," he roared.

He threw his hands up and rolled his eyes.

"To avoid the possibility of a lengthy appeal," Haffley said, stepping in.

Maddox sat back on the desk and eyed Tasha and Commander Riker. He smiled and shook his head.

"I don't know what you two think you're playing at," Maddox said as he wagged his finger at the two. "But if I didn't know better, I'd say you are dangerously close to violating the conditions of your appointment by the court."

Technically Tasha and Commander Riker had been faithful in their duty. They had presented Starfleet's case and followed Commander Haffley's recommendations on keeping the witness list short in an effort to speed along the process.

At the same time, Tasha and Riker weren't necessarily doing everything they could to promote Starfleet's case.

In essence, they weren't working against it.

At least not in a way that could be proven.

Tasha had carefully tiptoed up to the line.

"Undermining our case in an effort to subvert this process is a compromise of Starfleet Security in and of itself," Maddox declared. "I would hate to think that Admiral Henry would have to hear a report on possible treason."

His threat was lost on no one.

"I would suggest you both think long and hard about your role here," Maddox advised.

"Mr Maddox, we are here to represent your interest. And believe me when I say that we take this duty with utmost respect for the seriousness of this case," Tasha said.

"We're doing our best, sir," Riker added. "And everything that we presented today was at the behest of yourself and Commander Haffley."

Maddox turned up his nose, so Tasha decided to try another approach.

"I know that you're frustrated by the delay," she said in a much softer voice. "But this test is designed to confirm sentience."

Left unspoken was the fact Tasha was convinced it would verify Data's sentience once and for all.

"You are confident in your research," Tasha went on. "How can this hurt you?"

Tasha was doing her best to feign confidence in Maddox.

Maddox finished his drink and set the glass down on Haffley's desk. He didn't even bother to return it to the replicator.

He stood, stretched, and then slowly strolled to the door. He stopped right next to Tasha.

"Be grateful I've always had a weakness for dumb blondes," Maddox said against her ear in a menacing voice.

He checked Commander Riker in the shoulder on the way out.

"My office. 09:00. If you won't deal with this, I will," Maddox declared.

-X-

"No, no, no," Riker said. "Not tonight."

They were on deck seventeen of the Enterprise on their way back home.

"Come on," Riker said.

He gripped Tasha's shoulders and directed her back to his quarters where Will immediately set to work. After instructing Tasha to wash her hands, Riker grabbed a cutting board from the shelf on the wall.

"You can do the onions," Riker said.

He handed Tasha a knife and then turned to the replicator. He punched in a pre-programmed command that produced a tray of ingredients.

"It's not quite the same as truly homemade," Riker confessed. "But I find the act of cooking relaxes me."

He produced a large, yellow onion and nodded for Tasha to take it.

"You slice that while I brown the meat," Riker said.

"I'm a vegetarian," Tasha reminded him.

"That's why I have two burners on my portable range," Riker grinned as he nudged Tasha.

Tasha couldn't help but laugh.

"Alright chef, what are we making?" Tasha inquired.

"My famous reindeer sausage chilli," Riker said with an air of pride. "Or in your case-"

"Nosh bean," they said in unison.

-X-

"You are not alone," Geordi said.

Geordi, Deanna, Keiko, Miles, and Beverly were all seated around the table in Data's quarters. They had accompanied him back from the hearing

"Lieutenant La Forge and I are going to be down in the lab to ensure that fecker cannae mess with the testing," Miles declared.

"Miles," Keiko said in a low, warning voice.

She could tell Data was struggling. Miles's temper – though well intentioned – was not helping matters.

"Don't start! I'm just in the mood," Miles huffed.

Keiko shot him a look from across the table as she pleaded for Miles to relax.

"It's gobshite!" Miles fumed. "I've a right mind to reprogramme the console for a surge."

"Miles!" Keiko said, chastising him.

"Well not to hurt him!" Miles explained. "Just shock him a bit."

Miles crossed his arms and scowled.

"Data, we're going to do everything we can to ensure this procedure is comfortable for you," Geordi promised. "And the Chief and I will be there the whole time."

Geordi gave Data a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

Data had avoided eye contact with all of them since returning. He had said nothing aside from agreeing to allow his friends to join him.

Deanna could sense the feelings of fear and resentment radiating off of Data.

"Data, it's okay to not be okay," Deanna said.

She knew he needed to hear that. Deanna wanted to reinforce that Data's emotions were not inappropriate.

"I'll be right there with you assisting Commander Addison," Beverly assured him.

The first test would be a cognitive interview conducted while Data was hooked up to the KEEGG machine to monitor his emotional output.

Beverly recalled the first time she had ever used such a device on Data. He had been nervous. The act of being examined surfaced uncomfortable memories – even if Beverly was a friend.

Suddenly, it was like a lightbulb went off in Keiko's mind.

"Data, I think you need to let loose," Keiko said.

Data lifted his head, shifting his gaze from the surface of the table to Keiko's eyes.

"Show your emotions," Keiko explained. "Let them see."

A pained expression crossed Data's face.

"I-" Data paused. "I cannot."

He was frightened that any display of anger would reinforce Starfleet's case against him.

"Let them see how this weighs on you," Keiko urged. "Let them see that you're afraid."

Data blinked a few times. He was unsure.

"Data, how many hours have we spent talking about the things you want to do with your life?" Keiko asked.

"A total of fifty-four hours and seventeen minutes in the last six months," Data answered.

Keiko grinned.

"And how much of that time was you talking about the field trip you planned for the art class for our upcoming mission to Andor?" Keiko asked.

Data had been planning the trip for months ever since it was first announced the Enterprise would be on hand to offer additional security surrounding an upcoming Federation diplomatic conference.

"Show them that side of you," Keiko said. "The you that stays after to spend extra time with Mason Griffith because you know he needs more support in the classroom."

It was customary for Data to remain behind and spend an additional hour working one on one with Mason because he was uncomfortable in large groups.

"Let them see how excited you get talking about the new Lycaeides astrodemis that are hatching in the Arboretum," Keiko went on.

It was a joint project between the Botany and Exobiology departments to help preserve a rare species of butterfly. Data had been one of the key players in making it happen.

"Or how your eyes light up when you talk about baby socks," Keiko teased.

Data couldn't blush, but he flashed the group a bashful smile.

"We will be right there the entire time. I'll handle the device personally. Maddox will be able to ask you questions during the interview, but he won't be able to physically touch you," Beverly assured him.

-X-

"Here," Riker said.

He offered a large wooden spoon to Tasha so she could taste test the recipe.

Riker watched her reaction to the flavour.

His eyes went wide in anticipation of her approval.

Tasha licked her lips and then looked as if she was in deep concentration.

"Oh don't leave me hanging!" Riker pleaded.

"There's a good base flavour. The carrots really do help balance the acidity," Tasha said.

"But?" Riker asked.

Tasha bit her lip.

"It's not very spicy," Tasha confessed.

Riker baulked.

"There are six – six – Bajoran fire viper peppers in that pot," Riker said in astonishment. "And it's a tiny pot!"

"I didn't say it was bad!" Tasha protested. "It's good, really!"

Commander Riker turned back to the replicator and asked it to produce a variety of ingredients to help kick up the flavour.

"Computer, ground shishito pepper, smoked paprika, roasted poblano, fenugreek-" Riker went on.

"This really isn't necessary," Tasha insisted. "I've got hot sauce."

Riker stopped and turned back around. He gripped Tasha's shoulders. There was a wild look in his eyes.

"I promised you a trip to flavourtown and we are not eating until this is perfect," Riker declared.

"You know you're about as good at cooking as you are at prosecuting," Tasha smirked.

They both burst out laughing.

Suddenly, Tasha's mood changed.

"But you do it with your whole heart," Tasha said fondly. "And that's what makes it great."

-X-

Over on Starbase 173, Bruce Maddox was chasing after his own heart's desire.

"I'm telling you, she's working for him," Maddox said. "That Riker too. I swear that if he didn't have such an obnoxiously large head one would never know there's anything there above the shoulders."

Maddox reached into the box on his desk and pulled out a cigar. He snipped the end and then fumbled with the matchbox to light it.

He took a few long, slow puffs to ensure it was properly lit and then threw his legs up on the surface of the desk.

"I've waited too long for this," Maddox complained.

Admiral Walsh scoffed and shook his head.

"Believe me, I understand," Walsh replied.

"Then help me," Maddox urged.

"I've already sent you my best man," Walsh said.

"Yeah, Haffley the half-wit," Maddox countered. "He actually agreed with them on the testing."

Walsh sat back in his seat and rocked a few times as he weighed his options.

"I've already put pressure on Admiral Henry. I'm afraid that my hands are tied in-" Walsh began to say.

Maddox slammed his fist down on the surface of his desk.

"Afraid of what?" Maddox demanded. "You came to me. You assured me I had your backing."

His eyes narrowed.

"What exactly is your interest in Data?" Maddox asked.

"As I said, I share Starfleet's concern for the safety-"

"Don't give me that!" Maddox hissed.

Walsh could tell such an answer had only infuriated Maddox. Though he remained hesitant to fully reveal the motive behind his involvement.

"I've taken an interest in your work. For some time, I've found myself in awe of your vision for an android class capable of serving Starfleet," Walsh said.

It was partially true.

"You and half of San Francisco," Maddox quipped.

He sat up properly and leaned in close to the computer screen.

"Why do you really care?" Maddox inquired, pressing the issue as he puffed away furiously on his cigar.

Walsh sighed and broke eye contact.

"Oh!" Maddox laughed. "It's personal!"

He slapped his knee and grinned.

"Don't tell me, Data served under your command?" Maddox guessed. "Data has an uncanny ability to get under one's skin with his incessant self-righteous attitude."

Walsh did not answer.

Maddox took note of this. He took a long drag from his cigar and sat back, allowing the smoke to slowly slip past his lips.

"It wasn't Data," Maddox realised. "It was her."

A slow smile crept across his face.

"It was her," Maddox said.

When Walsh refused to answer, it only confirmed Maddox's suspicion.

"Let me guess, you made a move, and she offered you a swift kick in the metaphorical groin?" Maddox chuckled.

Bruce Maddox was really the last person that should have teased another for a bruised ego. Maddox himself was the prince of petty.

"That bitch cost me two of my best men," Walsh said. "Her uncooperative attitude put me under investigation for months."

Maddox was intrigued.

"She's the reason my grandson was thrown out of Starfleet," Walsh shared. "She ruined his career, his reputation. And nearly destroyed mine."

Walsh shifted in his oversized chair. Even acknowledging it ruffled his feathers.

"The android was involved too," Walsh went on.

Walsh ran his hand back through his thinning white hair and sighed.

He clicked his tablet a few times and skimmed through a list of personnel files.

"I'm sending you another witness," Walsh said suddenly. "He's going to help your case."

It would take some finagling, but it was nothing Admiral Walsh couldn't handle.

"We've got forty-eight hours, why not use them to our advantage?" Walsh asked.

Maddox nodded slowly.

"I like it," Maddox said in approval.

Admiral Walsh tapped his tablet again to submit the orders to the Starfleet salvage yard in that sector.

"And my proposal?" Maddox asked.

Walsh did not look up from his device.

"We have forty-eight hours," Maddox pressed.

"Consider it done," Walsh replied. "I'll forward it on to Admiral Henry and add the appropriate air of authority to ensure it is prioritised."

Maddox grinned.

"You'll have it on your desk tomorrow," Walsh promised.

-X-

"Is it really that bad?" Riker asked.

Tasha had said little since they sat down to eat. For the last fifteen minutes she had been mindlessly picking at her bowl of chilli.

"I won't be offended if you want something different," Riker said.

"Hmm?" Tasha asked, looking up.

"T?" Riker prompted.

"It's good," Tasha assured him.

Riker put his spoon down and pushed his bowl forward.

"What's wrong?" Riker asked.

"Data doesn't like being examined," Tasha shared.

She let her head fall back against the chair.

"And I'm the one that led them to that line of questioning," Tasha lamented.

"Doctor Crusher will be there," Riker said in hope of offering some reassurance.

But Tasha couldn't shake the feeling that her actions had put Data in an awful situation.

Again.

"Geordi is setting it all up," Riker added. "I'm sure it will be fine."

Tasha sat up and gave Will a pained look.

"Can I ask you a personal question? You don't have to answer if you don't want to," Tasha inquired.

"Anything," Riker replied.

Tasha twisted her hands in her lap as she tried to find the right words.

"Have you ever been objectified?" Tasha asked. "Really, truly objectified?"

Property. Riker realised.

"Do you remember what it felt like on Angel One?" Tasha inquired.

Will nodded.

He recalled the experience well. While the silly costume and flirtation may have seemed harmless on the surface, it had made Riker feel sick inside to be treated that way.

"Imagine that but worse," Tasha said. "No rights. No freedom. No autonomy."

She closed her eyes and took a shaky breath to steady her nerves.

"They strip away every sense of your individuality, your very being until you lose yourself completely," Tasha described. "And a part of you hates yourself for being compliant. Because compliance means survival."

Tasha's voice broke as a single tear slipped down her face.

"And every day is a waking hell. You feel a little piece of yourself die with each reminder that you aren't a person, you're someone's property. A thing," Tasha said. "And it makes you feel weak. It reinforces the abuse that conditions you to think you are unworthy."

Tasha paused and glanced up at the light overhead.

"Until you're broken," Tasha concluded.

She sniffled and wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve.

It was the bond that Data and Tasha shared, the understanding between them that ran deeper than anything – because they had both experienced it.

The circumstances of their abuse had occurred at the hands of different tormentors - both years and lightyears apart. It had resulted in radically different responses. But the nature of such trauma was the same.

"Data has every right to fear what's coming," Tasha said. "He shouldn't have to go through this."

Tasha lifted a shaky hand and tucked her bangs back behind her ear.

"This is all my fault," Tasha said.

Will eyed her carefully. Over the past three days, Tasha had made several comments like that.

"Tasha, you're right. Data shouldn't have to go through this," Riker said. "But none of this is your fault."

Tasha averted her eyes.

"But there's something else bothering you? Isn't there?" Riker pressed.

As a skilled poker player, Riker was a keen observer of body language.

"There's a reason you feel responsible. You couldn't have known the report on Lore would-" Riker began to argue.

"Walsh," Tasha said simply.

Riker was confused.

"Admiral Walsh. Admiral Josiah Walsh," Tasha clarified.

Riker sat back in surprise.

He recalled the previous incident with Admiral Walsh and his unscrupulous efforts to retaliate against Data and Tasha for holding his grandson accountable for a number of harassment and bullying incidents aboard the Enterprise.

Riker had a number of things he wanted to say on the subject, but he knew it wasn't the time.

"He's working with Maddox. I don't know how exactly," Tasha shared. "Maddox mentioned it a few nights ago and the inclusion of Ensign Lewis as a witness confirmed they're not just acquaintances."

Tasha sat up. Talking it out felt good. Even though she had no solution for the problem, it was like a weight was lifted from her shoulders.

"And I can't be sure, but I know I've seen Commander Haffley somewhere before," Tasha added. "I think he was one of the aides that was with Admiral Walsh on Starbase 118 during the hearing six months ago."

Riker scratched his chin as he considered the implications of this information.

"Does the Captain know?" Riker asked.

Tasha shook her head.

"You're the only person I've told aside from Data," Tasha admitted.

She had planned to inform Captain Picard – but Tasha hadn't anticipated being named as a part of the prosecution team. The communication protocols prevented any kind of private conversation.

"But I don't even know what I would say," Tasha shrugged. "I mean, it's not exactly illegal for Walsh to be involved in some way. He is one of the leading Security experts in the fleet."

"This is retaliation," Riker said.

"But where's the proof?" Tasha asked.

She had no evidence of any illicit activity. Admiral Walsh was slimy, but he did a thorough job of keeping his nose clean.

"I still think the Captain should be informed," Riker insisted.

Tasha folded her hands on the table and rested her chin above them.

"Maddox seems to get off in trying to annoy me," Tasha said. "But Haffley, I'm not sure."

Tasha's brow furrowed.

She still hadn't made up her mind if Haffley was really complicit or simply a foot soldier.

"He might identify with you," Tasha suggested.

"I'm picking up what you're laying down," Riker replied.

"See what you can get out of him?" Tasha asked.

Riker grinned.

-X-

Across the ship, Data was just preparing to engage his rest programme. It would offer a few hours of relief in which he could slow down his processing and avoid thinking about Maddox and the hearing.

He had run the sanitisation programme on his oral cavity and combed his hair. Though he had no need to bathe, Data did enjoy the sensation of water on his bioplast.

So he had opted to take a refreshing shower before slipping into the dressing gown Tasha had gotten for him months earlier.

Data ran the tap and filled a small watering can with cool water.

He returned to the main room of his quarters and watered the Himalayan Blue Poppy plant that sat in the corner of the room.

It was a notoriously difficult plant to maintain but Data kept his specimen in outstanding health. The plant was housed in a planter Data had sculpted himself during a pottery class.

He'd had it for more than a year.

In fact, Data had been caring for the plant for exactly three hundred and eighty-two days. Data had obtained the plant before initiating his relationship with Tasha during a time when he had felt alone.

More alone that he could adequately describe.

He'd selected it out of a long list of flowering plants because the blue hue had the precise RGB colour value of Tasha's eyes.

And Data had longed for something to remind him of her.

In the year that Data had been tending to the delicate plant, it had thrived. There were now four blooms and a new bud forming. Just like their relationship, the plant had blossomed.

Data set down the watering can on the end table.

He glanced over at his workstation. His feet automatically carried him there until Data found himself seated behind the desk staring at his computer.

One of the tasks Data needed to accomplish was a log for Tasha.

He suspected that he would not get the chance for a private farewell.

And there were a lot of thoughts Data wanted to share.

He had no inkling where to begin or how to conclude such a message. There were far too many things Data wanted Tasha to know.

He wanted the message itself to provide closure and reassurance. Data also wanted to include reminiscence of fond memories and a series of requests.

Inside, Data was terrified that such a loss would shatter Tasha. And he had no wish to cause her such pain.

With him or not, Data wanted Tasha to enjoy life, to be happy, and to be loved.

Most unsettling of all, Data was torn about the ring. A part of him screamed that such information would only add to Tasha's pain.

But he couldn't bear the thought of essentially going to his death without making his intentions clear. The thought of never knowing what her answer would be was agonising enough.

Data sat perfectly motionless for exactly seven minutes and three seconds before he reached up and clicked to close the screen.

I cannot do this tonight. Data thought.

Data couldn't exactly rationalise it, but there was something holding him back from recording the message.

Tomorrow. Data reasoned.

It felt good to say that.

It was empowering.

Especially considering Data had spent six of the last seven days living on borrowed time.

He may have been living with the uncertainty of any long-term future, but at least he was guaranteed tomorrow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 306 24
You've worked your whole life to join the military. The child of two Military Police officers, orphaned as a young teen, you have always focused on y...
6.8K 279 11
For approximately six years I've been serving the Survey Corps. Few male soldiers compliment my beauty and intelligence however, they back away when...
169 0 90
Maddox: She was everything I couldn't have. Beautiful, smart, driven and sassy. Super sarcastic, and feisty and pushed my buttons at every opportunit...
7.5K 264 13
This is an alternative universe where Data begins to experience emotions naturally without the emotion chip thanks the reader. You never thought he w...