Demons ━ Bucky Barnes [1]

By jasperhaIe

❝Warrior child, you carry such coldness in your veins. War-torn child, you carry such loneliness in your bone... More

i. DISCLAIMER
ii. CAST
iii. PLAYLIST
iv. THE BEFORE
01 ━ ENCOUNTER
02 ━ REMINISCE
03 ━ FOSSILIZED
04 ━ TENSION
05 ━ TRIGGER
06 ━ MEMORIES PT.1
07 ━ MEMORIES PT.2
08 ━ MEMORIES PT. 3
09 ━ PAST LIVES
10 ━ REVELATION
11 ━ GUILT & LOSS
12 ━ SUSPICION
13 ━ CLARITY
14 ━ HOSTILITY
15 ━ AFFECTION
16 ━ DEAD END
17 ━ TOO HUMAN
18 ━ TRUTHFUL INTENT
20 ━ PUPPET
21 ━ ANDREA
22 ━ IT ALL GOES
23 ━ SUMMER-BLUE
24 ━ SAVIOR
25 ━ EPILOGUE
AUTHORS NOTE

19 ━ OLD GHOSTS

28.7K 1K 1.4K
By jasperhaIe

DEMONS.
( chapter nineteen. )

Edited 12/26/2015 @1:27 AM
Edited 07/14/2016 @11:07 AM
Edited 11/28/2017 @3:45 AM

  ANDREA'S RESOUNDING SIGH WAS ragged with aggravation. The impulse to throw Sitwell onto the freeway was hard-fought. They'd just hit the bridge travelling towards the Triskelion, loaded with one dicey plan and an unwilling accomplice.

However, they were about to have a very dead accomplice if he didn't stop nagging. If Jasper realized he was a hostage, he certainly didn't act like it. Constantly moaning about how dead he was 'when Pierce finds out.'

  Andy fixed him with a vicious look. "I guarantee, it isn't Pierce you should be worried about," she seethed.

From where he sat beside her, Sitwell cowered back into his seat. There was a secret joy in knowing her identity made for such an effectively imposing image. A few words from her and he was silent for a few short, but blissful moments.

That goes without saying, the peace didn't last very long.

  "Pierce doesn't like leaks," Sitwell muttered, taking a rather bold glance at Andrea.

  "Then try sticking a cork in it," Sam cut in, sparing a glance through his rearview mirror. Andrea grinned at Sam's support, while Sitwell sneered at him from the backseat.

Natasha shifted in her own spot by the window. "Insight launches in 16 hours. We're sort-of cutting it close here."

The words weren't an easy reminder. Andy found herself struggling against a sudden wave of anxiety. They would make it to the Triskelion— she knew that. It was the matter of how they were going to stop Project Insight that worried her.

Their half-baked plan was hardly something any sane person would willingly risk their lives on, but Andrea would. She always would. If worst came to worst, Andy would burn through every ounce of energy inside of her to stop those heli-carriers.

  "We'll make it," Steve said, and his words held a tone Andrea couldn't quite decipher. Disappointment? Anger? He was clearly beating himself up.

Andy found herself reaching for him before she could think better of it. With her hand on his arm, she tried to comfort him as best she could. Andy promised to be his support, in the same way he had been hers.

"It'll be fine," she insisted. "We'll just use Sitwell to bypass the genetic security scanner and gain access to the heli-carriers." Assuming anyone trusts the weasel enough to give him access to anything, Andrea thought to herself.

But from there, then what? It was a question none of them wanted to ask.

Sitwell, however, immediately began complaining.

  Andrea whirled on him in fury. "If you don't shut the hell up—"

THUMP.

It took all of one second for the entire car to go silent. Andy felt an odd sense of premonition as she took one slow glance upwards. There was no way she had imagined it, not the with solid indent pressing in from the roof.

Someone was up there.

Before anyone could react, the window beside Sitwell shattered as a metallic hand reached through to grab him. Sitwell cried out, thrashing wildly. The struggle was useless.

Andy was stuck. Unable to do anything but watch as the arm pulled Jasper out the window— throwing him directly into oncoming traffic. Andy felt the breath leave her chest, but it wasn't the gruesomeness of his death that shocked her.

He was here. The Winter Soldier. Everything else was secondary.

  Andrea moved fairly quick after that, diving into the space freed up by Sitwell's absence. It still wasn't fast enough. Gunshots sounded and blazing pain seared along her thigh. A simple graze, if she was lucky.

Natasha made a quick crawl to the front, narrowly missing her own bullet as she promptly sat on Steve. Andy was thoroughly abandoned in the back. There was no wasting time.

Andy went for the bag at her feet, just as Sam pressed on the brakes. "Fuck!" She cursed, gun slipping out of her grasp.

In the same second, the soldier was sent flying from their vehicle. Andy stopped moving. She couldn't take her eyes off him, as if held frozen by the anticipation of how he would take the fall.

He did it with little grace; tucking in to prevent landing on his back. His body flipped just in time, feet hitting the pavement at an angle. That metal hand clawed right through the asphalt, preventing him from going too far.

"What a show-off." Andrea frowned.

Natasha took aim. Andy didn't question where the gun had come from. She only saw where that bullet would land— right between the eyes.

"Wait!"

  The cry was useless. By the time Natasha pulled the trigger, their car was roughly rear-ended. The bullet missed by a long-shot.

Andy collided painfully with Sam's seat. There was no time to recover. The vehicle behind them picked up speed and their car was pushed forwards.

  As soon they were within reach, the soldier was back on the roof. No guns this time. Andy slipped on her backpack as that metal hand darted through the windshield, grabbing onto the steering wheel. Everyone knew what was coming next.

  The soldier jerked the wheel to the left before ripping it off completely.

Despite expecting it, Andy still gasped as the car lost control. She reached without thinking, spreading her energy wide as she grabbed ahold of everyone. She just need a second. One second to get them out alive.

The power was a rush of energy, but Andy had never tried to teleport so many people at once. With no time to focus on the destination, the group found themselves landing roughly against the asphalt.

Andy was shaking all over, nausea clawing at her stomach. "Give a new meaning to Jesus take the wheel, why don't you!"

  Everyone stumbled to their feet and scattered. Not that it mattered much; they were too slow. Andy saw it before everyone else. Her blood went cold as the soldier aimed a missile-launcher in their direction.

  Directly at her.

  Smoke billowed as the launcher fired. Andy felt a body shoving against hers. Her hands went to her head, ears ringing as she hit the ground and the explosion sounded.

  She didn't have to look to know who'd saved her. When the smoke cleared, Steve was gone, thrown back by the force of the explosion. He was nowhere on the bridge, which meant he'd landed somewhere below.

  Andy rose from the ground, trying to recover quickly. Concern for Steve's wellbeing was the only thing on her mind, but it also left her distracted. Too distracted to notice the figure closing in behind her.

  Before she could even move, Andy was pulled back by the hair. She didn't bother crying out. Her body was on autopilot as her instincts reacted for her.

  Andrea turned, slipping under the arm holding onto her hair. It was a lucky thing she'd worn it up. The soldier was forced to twist his arm backwards with his fist still closed around her ponytail.

  Andy curled her arm and went to strike his elbow with her own. The contorted position of his arm left him vulnerable. It wouldn't take much force to break the bone. But, he was smart enough to let go.

  As soon as his grip released, Andrea was quick to put space between them. She turned back, pulling at the tie and letting the hair fall loose. There was no way in hell she was giving him that advantage again.

  Andy met his gaze dauntingly. Just a split-second glance before she teleported. She didn't give him time to consider what her next move was. She had to leave him guessing.

  She reappeared behind the assassin and launched a kick at his leg. The soldier staggered to a kneel, but Andrea was gone before he could whirl around to face her. That metal arm left grasping for air in her absence.

When the energy faded, Andy found herself below the freeway bridge. Her powers had taken her right to Steve, who was ushering civilians out of the wreckage of a bus. Andrea made to run towards him, but stopped as gunfire sounded.

  Steve deflected every shot with ease. Andy pulled back and ducked behind a vehicle. She had to trust that he would make it through this. There was no time to get distracted with her worry— because it was all their lives on the line.

  HYDRA wasn't known for taking live prisoners.

  And everyone knew what they had to protect. They all knew the risks. Andy had to accept the fact that some of them might not make it out alive— and still push through despite it all.

  Andy took a breath. It didn't take long to clear her head. A handful of seconds, really. There was no doubt in her mind. Live or die, she was going to make sure HYDRA went with her.

  All it's wretched members, too.

  From behind the vehicle, Andy took her time studying her enemies. There was no telling how many were patrolling the area. Or what the plan in escaping them was.

  Andrea's only concern was the men on the bridge and dealing with the vantage point they held over her. She looked down at the weapons she'd sorted out; a dozen throwing knives, one semi-automatic pistol (Andy's personal favourite), and three spare rounds. Ten bullets each.

  Andrea didn't enjoy the act of killing. Frankly, she never would. But, this was different. She felt no despair, but there was no hate fuelling her either. It was simply indifference.

  They had made their choice.

  She would never be able to go back to the life she had. It was only fair that neither should they. It might have been a life spent without Bucky, or Steve... but it had been hers all the same. A lonely life for a lonely girl.

  They stole that from her.

  So, as she tucked the knives against the inside of her jacket, Andy found that maybe it was a little bit of hate fuelling her. Maybe it was personal as she loaded the pistol and moved strategically in the shadows cast by the sun.

  And she didn't care. Not once, even while she noted the wind, the angle, and pinpointed exactly where she had to aim. Andrea felt nothing but lucky in knowing they would never see her coming.

  Andy saw him right as her arm went still. Her entire frame poised to kill. Finger still resting firmly on the trigger.

  The terrified eyes of a boy so young watched her hold the gun and prepare to take a life. His gaze wide and blue and scared, like she had already fired. Entire body shaking like he knew what was about to happen.

  Death has no business with a kid that young.

  Andrea put away the gun, strapping it into the holster at her hip. She never took her eyes off the boy; too scared to run. So scared to die.

  Her line of sight never changed, even while the men above called out at the sight of her. Andy dashed towards that screaming child. His sobs rattled his body, like he knew what she was.

  When the shots rang out, she had wrapped him in her arms and teleported.

  The pair reappeared in the masses still running from the scene. People stopped to stumble and stare, but not for long. Andy pulled back, frantic as she looked the boy over.

  His face was pale, but he was okay. Still shaking all over, but alive. That was all that mattered.

  "Don't be scared," she whispered, wiping a bead of sweat from his temple. Her hands were gentle. Her words soft.

  "Stay with the people," she told him. "Don't listen to the noise. You'll be safe with the crowd."

  Andy didn't have time to fret over seeing him to his family. She only knew that he was safer here. He'd seen enough of the chaos, but that didn't mean he had to witness the battle up-close.

  He certainly didn't need to see her resolving to kill, either, and Andy realized why she couldn't. She didn't care for condemning herself in the act of ending a life. It was a little too late to worry about that.

  It was an issue of how other people would use those actions against her. As much as she pretended not to care, the perception of who she was always worried Andrea. Mostly because it affected more than just herself.

  That care-free girl from her past didn't exist anymore. Neither did the Reaper. There were so many fragments of who she was now that Andy knew some parts were better left unremembered.

And regardless of who she believed herself to be, the perception of the people was a hard one to change— HYDRA was likely counting on that.  

She wouldn't give them that satisfaction. Though, her refusal to kill didn't mean she wouldn't maim. After all, a little blood never hurt anyone...

  Before the boy could second-guess his fear of her, Andy teleported back to the bridge. The adrenaline made it possible to ignore her exhaustion, but she knew it wouldn't last. This fight had to end.

  Andy ventured closer, weaving between stranded cars. When she was within suitable throwing distance, she let the knife pick up speed as it twirled around her finger. She couldn't aim for a fatality, but she could injure them enough to take them out of play.

  She pitched the knife at the nearest shooter. When the blade hit, she immediately released the next one. The firing rate was steady, hitting all the spots she knew would take the slowest recovery.

  Andy abandoned her guilt with every scream. These agents had made their decision the moment they chose to join HYDRA— the very second they decided they were going to put millions at risk. Their lives were no longer her priority.

  Andrea pressed the final blade to her lips as she contemplated its victim. There were three left standing, including the soldier. None had spotted her yet, but she wasn't stupid enough to think it would last.

Andy decided her safest option was to keep her last knife on her. A precaution, in case it came down to physical combat. She was confident in her ability to take out the last two men on her own.

After that... the knife would come in handy against HYDRA's ghost.

Andy prepared to move, peering out from behind the vehicle. Her entire body went still as she caught sight of Natasha beneath the bridge. The red-head came to a stop at the edge, aiming her gun right at the soldier— who had just caught sight of Andy.

Somehow, the Jones woman couldn't bring herself to focus on the Winter Soldier, even as he aimed his own gun at her.

  "Natasha, don't!" Andy yelled, teleporting before she could even think to stop it. She appeared just behind the assassin, pulling him back just in time.

The bullet glinted off his goggles, cracking the lens. He stumbled into Andrea, but she back-stepped quickly. The other agents immediately began shooting, heedless of the civilians still stuck on the bridge.

Andrea reacted with no hesitation, swiftly pulling out her pistol. She flipped over the concrete barrier dividing the highway traffic, avoiding a smattering of bullets as she went. Only when she was ready did she begin firing back, hitting her marks with expert precision.

With each target struck, the men were quick to fall. When it was done, Andy jumped back over the barrier. She made sure to keep an eye on that dark figure the entire time, but the Winter Soldier did nothing but stare.

She began circling him. "You know," she mused, "For an assassin, you're not as aware as you should be."

The man reached for his goggles, peeling them off to reveal blue irises that seemed to burn into her. Andrea stopped moving. This was not the same person who'd risked his life for her.

There was nothing behind those eyes— just a weapon.

  The soldier lifted his gun, but she was faster. Andy teleported from sight. Fighting him wasn't a priority. There would be no winners. She had civilians to steer away from the vicinity, people to protect.

They were the priority.

  Andrea found herself on a sidewalk below the bridge. "Go, get out of here!" She shouted, trying to hustle those still hiding. Her yell seemed to snap them into action as the masses began to clear more rapidly.

She quickly joined them, risking a backwards glance. The soldier jumped from the bridge, landing on a car to soften the blow. The impact of his fall completely crushed the roof, while his own body took the aftershock in a stride.

Andrea turned away, seeking protection near the vehicles left behind. In turn, she quickly found Natasha crouched among the cars. The red-head gave her a momentary glance while she created a recording of her voice. Easy bait.

When Nat was done, they left the recording to play on a loop before taking cover elsewhere. Andrea would've liked to wait in silence... but, Natasha seemed to think there was enough time for an interrogation.

"What was the deal at the bridge?" She demanded, her words holding an air of urgency despite the situation.

Andy tried not to express her exasperation. Natasha had every right to be wary. This man had made a handful of attempts to kill them off. Particularly her— and she had protected him.

Still, she had to believe that her reason was a good one. "He doesn't have a choice," she tried to explain. "I know what he's done, but we can't kill him."

  "We have no idea how deep HYDRA has its claws in him," Nat said. "If we take that risk and it backfires, what then?"

  Andy knew what she meant. "I'll make sure it won't come to that. Do what you need to slow him down, but I'm not letting him die a weapon."

  There was no room to argue. Andy tore her eyes away to take another cautionary glance towards their opponent. Her breath caught as she saw the soldier only a short distance away, approaching the site of their diversion.

  Andy looked back at Nat. "As soon as he figures it out, I'll engage," she instructed. "Get the last of the civilians to safety, then circle back."

  Natasha furrowed her brow, lips parting to protest.

  Andrea shook her head. There was no time to argue. "It has to be me," she insisted, her gaze pleading. "I'm the only one who can combat his training, you know this."

The Jones woman peered over the car, watching as the soldier crouched low. Between his fingers, he rolled a small explosive beneath the vehicle they'd hidden their recording. The sight made her stomach turn. He was so close.

  The truth was that Andrea could just barely hold him off on her own. But, she wasn't going to let anyone else take the risk. Yes, he had an edge over her, but there was no one else who could connect with him in the same way she could.

Andy had to try. She looked back at Nat, whose agreement came in a hesitant nod. Natasha quickly reached over, taking a moment to squeeze Andy's hand reassuringly. 

The brunette smiled, grateful as the Romanoff woman took off at a near-silent sprint. Andrea breathed a sigh of relief as she watched her go. She glanced down to her palm and found that Nat had left her a small device.

  A taser disk, from the looks of it. If she could use it to shut down the function of the soldier's metal arm, then it would give her the edge she needed. Even just for a second.

  Andy stuffed the device into her pocket, wincing as an explosion sounded. Time was running out. It wouldn't take him long to realize it was a distraction.

  Andrea exhaled a quick breath of air. Using the explosion as cover, she disguised the sound of her jumping onto the car. She stepped up onto the roof to give herself height.

Quickly, before he could notice, Andy launched herself at the assassin. Knocking the gun out of his hands was easy. She landed in a crouch, springing back to her feet only to immediately duck beneath the soldier's metal arm. It was a second nature at this point.

Andy dropped to the ground, rolling to a land behind the soldier. She swung out her leg, kicking his foot out from under him. As he fell to one knee, she was quick to rise and wrap an arm around his throat. Putting all her weight into the hold, Andy positioned her legs to pin his metal arm.

  "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm sorry. I swear I'll come back for you." She meant every word, even as he desperately swung his other fist to reach her.

  Andrea felt guilt rip through her chest. His movements slowed and, with the action, she let her guard down too soon. Her eyes widened as his metal arm got loose. It wrapped around her wrist, prying her grip from his neck just as she eased up.

  With his free hand, the soldier reached behind him, grabbing ahold of her shirt to throw Andy over his shoulder. She landed on the ground with a thud, winding herself upon impact. Her lungs were aching.

  She had to move. Andy forced herself to get up, still crouched on the ground. Her hands went to the disk Natasha had given her, just as the Winter Soldier reached for his gun. He took aim, but she was faster.

  Andy tossed the metal device. He fired too soon, missing by inches as the disc activated. She didn't stick around to see the aftermath. He was never going to give her another advantage like that again.

  When she thought she was safe, Andy dropped her backpack before raiding it for the last of her weapons. She had her gun, but only one round left. Beyond that, her lone knife could only do so much. She inhaled a sharp breath of annoyance, turning to glance behind her just as a shot rang out.

  The impact left her on her back. Andy screamed, writhing as her back collided with the road. The bullet had ripped clean through and it hurt. Searing pain tore through her as she struggled through the motions of applying pressure.

  Breathing through it was even harder. Her breaths came too short and too rapidly, as if oxygen itself was salt on the wound. Every movement made the pain more intense.

  Unable to do anything, the Jones woman could only watch as the soldier stepped into view. Without his goggles, those blue eyes were cruel as they looked down on her. He lifted his gun.

Andy felt the shame of defeat. "Please," she begged. "Let me help you. You don't have to be their puppet."

Wrong. It was the only word that spun through her head— Andy had said something irreversibly wrong. His eyes alone could set her ablaze; blue flames on her skin. His finger went to the trigger. She closed her eyes.

Andy wanted so badly to be able to do something, but the power inside her was sparking on and off like a fried wire. In her state— between healing her body and teleporting from danger— Andy could do neither. Her instincts were simply caught, battling between options.

  Andrea had absolutely no control— and maybe a part of her was fine with that. She had never feared death. It had always seemed wrong to fear something whose very name she had taken after.

But, the shame— in knowing that she was ready to go, even like this. Had she truly done all she could? The answer came to her quickly. It was the only thing she wished she could change. 

  And of all of them, the world seemed to hear that godless prayer alone.

The sound of bodies and metal colliding was heard. Andrea flinched as the gun fired. She knew she wasn't dead by sound alone. Yet, it still took a moment to pry her eyes open.

Andy turned her head, struggling through the pain. She could just make out Steve's silhouette. His hand caught his shield just as it rebounded from the soldier's arm. He laid it against his chest, sprinting forwards to drive the soldier back.

The impact of the blow sent them both flying before the assassin could combat the move. Steve stumbled, but caught himself just in time. In between split seconds, he glanced back at Andy.

  He was never going to win. Andrea knew he couldn't afford to distract himself on her account. Regardless of the blood still gushing from her bullet wound, she would survive. She just needed time.

  "Go," she insisted, hoping the urgency in her voice was enough to convince him. "I'll be okay."

  Steve hesitated for only a moment before he disappeared from sight. Headed into combat with a man Andrea knew he couldn't keep up with. Brute force would do nothing against the vast amount of skills the Winter Soldier had. Years of fighting to survive create efficient killers.

  Only Andy knew what he was capable of; only she could survive it— because she already had.

  There was a reason Andrea Claire Jones was one of the best that S.H.I.E.L.D. had to offer. And she was going to prove it. In ways not even HYDRA's wretched algorithm could predict.

  Adrenaline was setting in. A relief for some, but not all of her pain. Andrea dug into her bag, tearing the fabric of an extra shirt. She made quick of her work, shrugging off her jacket in order to tightly tie the makeshift bandage around her wound.

  The pain was nauseating, but the sensation of healing skin was all she could focus on. With no sense of imminent danger, Andy's abilities seemed to finally understand what they had to do. A headache was already forming, but she paid it no mind.

Andy forced herself to get back on her feet. Determination set into her bones as she zipped up her jacket. Loaded the last of her bullets into gun. She stepped out from behind the vehicle to watch Steve's struggle with the soldier.

The Rogers man backstepped just as the assassin brought down his knife. The arc of his jagged blade narrowly missing Steve's chest. Andy took the first open shot she saw, firing without hesitation. She aimed for the shoulder. It felt almost like karma.

The impact of the bullet seemed to come as more of a shock than the pain. The soldier lost his footing, hand going to his shoulder as he staggered backward. Andrea didn't hesitate to take the chance as she saw it.

She sprinted forwards, launching herself up on the balls of her feet. Maneuvering in mid-air came easy as she swung her legs to wrap around his neck. Her feet locked themselves into place and the Jones woman swung backwards, using momentum to flip herself beneath his arm just as he was sent flying forwards. Careful not to get caught in his fall.

  Andrea landed in a crouch, whirling around as she slid the knife from her boot. The Winter Soldier turned to face her. Pure rage in those eyes.

Before he could react, Steve made his attack. Slamming his shield against the soldier's metal arm, holding him off.

  Andy bared her teeth, dashing forwards. "He's mine!" She shouted, sliding across the ground beside Steve. She kicked up, planting a firm shove with her free foot as it connected with his chest.

Once again, he was sent stumbling back as Andy stood upright. She came closer, slashing at his chest. He was quick to back-step, just an inch free of her blade.

  Both began to engage in hand-to-hand combat and she continued blocked his every move. His eyes burned into her as she easily took him on, quickly becoming agitated. Andy was adapting with every fight. A quick learner. An easy protege.

Andrea knew him better now. It wasn't about outright attacking. It was about wearing him down.

She went to kick him in the stomach just as he tore at her sleeve with the knife. The blade just barely sliding along her arm. A paper-thin slice. Her eyes widened. The momentary shock was enough to completely undo her.

The soldier used his metal arm to knock the knife out of her hand. Her knuckles against the hard material were enough to make her cry out. He kicked at her chest, sending her flying back. Every rib reverberated dull agony.

"Andy!" Steve shouted as she felt herself collide with the ground. She rose just as fast, struggling to catch her breath as the Winter Soldier continued to approach.

  However, the Rogers man was quick to step in, slamming his shield against the upper body of the assassin. He seemed to have forgotten Steve's presence in the height of his focus on Andy. An outright mistake on his part.

The solider faltered, momentarily stunned by the blow. Andrea watched as Steve pivoted around him easily. Then, he reached out from behind his back, grabbing the man by the bottom of his mask.

  Using his strength, Steve threw the assassin over his shoulder. A fall that any untrained person would've taken hard. But, she wasn't surprised when the soldier curled his body to accommodate the action.

The only thing that left her stunned was the mask. The solid, black covering that rolled out from under him. The Winter Soldier paused, his back turned. When he rose from his crouch, he did it slowly.

  The world seemed to slow down then. Time moving almost hesitantly as he turned to look back at them. For a moment, the features didn't register in Andrea's mind. His face was still masked by a rough-woven expression and cold, haunting eyes.

Then— with those eyes on hers— the world seemed to come to a standstill. Summer-blue. Eyes she only saw in dreams.

  There were flashes of memory. A thousand images of a man she had fallen in love with, followed by the gutting reminder that this was the same man she had lost. That man had only looked at her with light and love— not this cold cruelty. That man was dead.

  And yet, still he stood, only a few steps away; James Buchanan Barnes.

  Andy was no longer aware of herself as she rose from the ground. "Bucky?" She said, but this voice was unsure. Afraid— because this was a ghost.

This was a ghost standing in front of her.

Her hands were shaking. Eyes stinging with tears as she stared and stared. Was this person really the same enemy from only a few moments before? It couldn't be. It couldn't be.

  The man's expression twisted with confusion. It took only seconds for Andy to realize that he had no idea who he really was. He had no idea who she was. If anyone had existed before, that person was long gone now.

  "Who the hell is Bucky?" He said, but it wasn't a question, and there was no answer worth hearing as he grabbed one of his guns.

Andrea failed to notice— failed to do anything but stare. As Bucky aimed at her head, it was Sam who made it just in time to save her. He dove in with the jet-pack, knocking the gun out of Bucky's hand.

In his confusion, Bucky dropped to the ground. He was quick to secure his grip back on his weapon. When he rose and looked back at the Jones woman, those eyes flickered. An emotion she didn't recognize.

Andrea dared to hope it was remembrance, but it was gone faster than it had come. He aimed once more. There was no doubt that he would have pulled the trigger, if only to spare himself the confusion.

It was what she would have done.

However, just before he could fire, there was an explosion. Smoke and flames burst from the car beside him. Andy flinched and when she looked back up, the soldier was gone.

Her eyes were wide. Heart wild in her chest as she searched for the man who'd once been her best friend. The love of her life.

  But, he was gone, and she'd lost him all over again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 78 38
"Keep my Bucky safe alright?" I said straightening Steve's jacket. "You act as if I ain't here, Babydoll," Bucky chuckled grabbing my hand and pullin...
14.1K 461 27
A Bucky Barnes x Reader x Steve Rogers fanfiction. True love never dies. . . or does it? Life in the modern world seems to be going well for Y/N b...
111K 5.1K 77
***Sexual scenes. Do not read if under 18*** Hydra took her as a child. She was their first experiment. The first Winter Soldier. The only one histor...
1.5M 19.1K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...