Reunite Her

By Princess_DYS

Warning: This is the eighth book in a series. I recommend you go back and read the others starting with "Figh... More

Fighting Ghosts
White Knuckle
Tender Age
Unforgiven
In Your Care
Equal Justice
Instinct
Protect and Serve
Double Red
Impossible Dream
Return of the Prodigal Son
One Crazy Shift
The Radical Truth
A Couple Hundred Degrees
Signs of Violence
Natural Born Firefighter
Due Process
Trouble Dolls
Trick-Rolled at the Moulin'
An Inferior Product
Safe
The Right Thing

The Other Side

517 13 3
By Princess_DYS

A/N Welcome to the final chapter of this book!

As always, please relax and enjoy the read!

~Princess <3

*A Few Minutes Later*

"Row house is clear. I checked the gangways. There's nothing except for blood smears. I'm guessing they dragged her towards the back, had a car waiting." Adam reported, linking up with the rest of the team and leading them towards where they needed to be.

"All right, just show us what you saw first." Hank instructed.

"All of her gear." He gestured to their right. "Her vest, everything. Her gun. I mean she would've never taken that off, not without a struggle."

"There's not enough blood for a major injury. If she were dead, they would've left the body." The older man pointed out.

"Yeah, but there's another problem." Adam sighed, shining his flashlight on an area a few feet away. "I called Sarge, twice. Her phone keeps going to voicemail."

On the floor next to Kim's stuff. . .was another gun and a vest made for someone a lot smaller than everyone else. Hank swore his heart stopped dead in his chest when he caught sight of his own last name staring back up at him.

"We'll start knock and talks, pull cameras quick." Hailey offered, rushing off with her partner in tow.

"Good. Move." The older man ordered in a low growl.

"Boss, this is one of Roy's LKAs. I mean, he has to be involved, right? He and Kent, they gotta have them." Adam reasoned, sounding borderline hysterical at the moment. "They drug them back here, had a car waiting, shoved them inside."

"So let's get some people down here to help find them. Call Trudy, have her initiate a Plan IV." Hank instructed as calmly as he could which was not much. "Kev?"

"Yeah." He inquired as Adam ran off.

"Their items bagged and tagged. Get forensic scrubbing. Let's go." The older man commanded.

"Okay." Kevin nodded.

Hank glanced back at the gear one last time, hoping his wife didn't do what he think she did.

*Inside of a Car*

Ana kept her eyes locked on the prone figure of her Officer as the vehicle rolled to a stop outside some sort of warehouse. The door next to her opened and Kent Darby gestured for her to get out with his gun. She did and he slammed the door closed before moving over to the other side.

He practically ripped that one open and dragged Kim out. The man picked her up and forced her towards a big yellow door. The Officer had woken up during this time and was struggling the entire way. The brunette just followed them, silently, knowing that no matter how much she wanted to playing the hero wouldn't do any good for either of them.

"Kent, I'm telling you, we can work this out, okay? Listen to me. Listen to me." Kim pleaded as she was pushed into the building. "I know you didn't kill those girls-"

"SHUT UP!" He shouted, shoving her to ground and making Ana flinch. "Shut up!"

"Come on. Kent. I know you didn't kill those girls or Darrell. That was your boss. That was Roy." She pointed out, slowly getting back to her feet. "So just- we can make it. . .we can make this all fine. It's fine, but- no! No!"

Kent suddenly reached inside his jacket and Kim immediately thought the worst. The Officer lunged at him, managing to get her hands around his neck and driving her knee into his crotch multiple times. The man overpowered her though and merely tossed her back on the floor before kicking her in the ribs.

"God, you stupid bitch." He yelled, voice cracking due to the brutal strangling he just received.

Kent moved to stomp on her leg but Ana suddenly had his wrist locked in a bruising grip and squeezed, forcing him to his knees. The man had left her unbound simply because she broke out of whatever he tied her up with.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I know." He hissed through the pain. "You'll behave as long as I don't hurt her."

The brunette glared down at him for a little longer before letting go and rushing over to check on Kim.

*Back With the Rest of the Team*

Everyone was huddled together in the Tech Office after Hailey found some POD footage of a vehicle they had been tracking.

"All right, car is registered to a Myra Birkin. She's 92 years old. Betting it's stolen." The blonde read aloud from a computer screen.

"All right, put it up top." Hank ordered. "Time stamp?"

"Eight minutes after Burgess radioed, two minutes before Ruzek arrives." Jay replied.

"Zoom in." The older man instructed.

"There's not enough for facial rec." Kevin pointed out.

"No. Clearly male, white. Could be Kent, could be Roy. I don't know." Hailey shook her head, eyes widening as she caught something else. "Guys, look at the backseat."

She zoomed in as much as she could and there, plain as day, was Ana staring right up at the camera with a blank expression on her face. Her right hand was clearly holding onto something next to her and everyone had to assume it was Kim.

"No." Adam muttered.

"All right, follow that car. Get out an all call, trace the theft. Find the link to our offenders. Pull it all, now." Hank ordered in a low growl, forcing himself to tear his gaze away from the image of his wife and turn to Adam instead. "Come on, let's keep moving."

*Inside the Warehouse*

Kent was now sitting back against a few cages on the floor a few feet away from the two women. Kim was now lying flat on her back, head resting in Ana's lap. The Officer suddenly let out a small cough and the brunette looked down at her in concern.

"Kent. Look at me. You call Roy. You call him, you know he's gonna kill me. You call him, that's like pulling the trigger yourself." She reasoned and he just scoffed, standing up. "Listen to me, please. Listen to me, okay? It's a line you can't uncross. You're gonna live with that the rest of your life."

"Why are you saying all this?" The man snapped. "You don't know me."

"I think you're a decent person Kent. I do, I think you're a dec-"

"I'm really not." He sniffed. "I crossed the line you can't uncross a long time ago."

"I don't believe that." Kim shook her head.

"And like it or not, I'm already on The Other Side, and once you're there, once you're really there. . .there's no going back." The man whispered, sounding near hysterics.

"I don't think you're on the other side, Kent. Kent, listen to me." The Officer pleaded.

"Even if you want to." He finished, ominously, putting his gun away and and turning to walk in the opposite direction.

Kim seized her opportunity and immediately began trying to crawl away. Ana took the chance to buy her Officer some time and stood up, bracing herself before charging at Kent. She jumped onto his back and wrapped her left arm around his throat. The man tried to slam her back on the ground but the brunette had been prepared for that and rolled to soften the blow.

He attempted to punch her but Ana caught the flying hand in her left and squeezed. A sickening crunch filled the air and Kent cried out in agony before managing to get his other hand around her throat. The brunette didn't even try to loosen it, instead reaching up with her right hand and clawing at his face. He hissed in pain and released the short woman, who fell the floor coughing and gasping for breath.

Kent quickly got his bearings, cradling his injured hand with his good one, and glared down at Ana. His lip suddenly curled up into a snarl and he kicked her several times before yanking her up by her jacket and wailing on her face. The man stopped after a few seconds and let the brunette drop to floor. He stood up and walked out of the now open yellow door, coming back in with Kim a few minutes later.

"No." Ana breathed, head lolling to the side as Kent dropped the Officer unceremoniously next to her.

Kim groaned in pain as the man stepped off to the side, pulling out his phone.

"Roy. I've got a problem."

*A Few Hours Later*

A white car rolled into the warehouse and a man got out.

"Roy." Kent greeted, only to be met with two bullets to the chest in response.

He turned the gun on Kim and Ana reacted without thinking.

"NO!" She shouted, throwing herself in front of the Officer just as he fired off two more shots.

The brunette collapsed on top of the younger woman and Roy walked back to his car, driving away. She waited until she was sure he was gone before rolling off of Kim and whimpering in pain. The short woman immediately spotted the small hole in the other's shirt and her eyes widened. She rolled over, finding herself face to face with the corpse of Kent Darby.

Ana began looking for his phone in his pocket but tossed it aside once she saw how smashed it was. The older woman, instead, undid the man's belt and pulled it free from the rest of him. She then kicked one of his shoes off and grabbed his sock, balling it up. The brunette lifted Kim's shirt and placed it over the wound before wrapping the belt around her waist. She took a deep breath and pulled it as tight as she could.

"AH!" The Officer jolted awake with a cry of agony and looked down to see a semi-consious Ana undoing her handcuffs with a pair of keys she had found in Kent's possession. "Sarge. . ."

Once the shorter woman was sure she had done all she could for Kim, she finally allowed herself the reprieve of putting pressure on her own wounds and groaning, softly, in pain. Only then, did the Officer notice them as well. She yanked her own belt off and grabbed Kent's other sock before making a tourniquet for Ana as well. The Sergeant bit her lip to keep from crying out as Kim pulled it tight.

The two women took a few moments to catch their breaths before standing up on shaky lags. They leaned heavily against each other and began, slowly, making their way towards the big yellow door. By the time the Officer got it open, she was pretty much supporting all of Ana's weight. Which, to be fair, wasn't really that much. Kim managed to get them over to what was left of Kent's car and tried the door handle, finding it locked.

"Course." She muttered, feeling very weak and shaky in the knees as she attempted to nudge the brunette awake. "Sarge? Hey, Sarge? Ana!"

"'M still here." The older woman slurred, lifting her head a bit.

"I need you to smash the window of this car for me." Kim explained, gently. "Can you do that?"

"Mm-hmm." The shorter female hummed, quietly, not really putting thought into it as she swung her left hand at the glass and it shattered completely.

The Officer reached in and unlocked the door before gently placing Ana in the passenger's seat. She hit a button and unlocked the rest of the car, taking a deep breath. Slowly, and painfully, Kim dragged herself across the hood of the car and over to the driver's side. The younger woman weakly clawed at the door handle until it opened and she crawled inside, turning the hazard lights on.

Kim could feel that she was fading and fast. Gathering all the strength she had left, the Officer reached up and opened the visor. Unfortunately for her, the keys hidden inside fell to the floor. She let out a disappointed breath as her head fell onto the arm rest.

"Kim." Ana groaned, reaching out and shaking her. "Kim. Kim. . ."

The brunette's hand fell limply at her side and the other women was still unresponsive. All that was left to hear, besides the two women's shallow breathing, was the clicking of the hazard lights.

*Later That Night*

Jay and Kevin approached a large green gate, having come across it while canvassing the area near where the Buick was seen last.

"Jay. Check that out." The Officer called, spotting a chain on the floor and pointing his flashlight at it.

The Detective pushed on the metal, and sure enough, it opened.

"Kev, you see that?" He wondered, seeing something flashing out in the distance.

"Hazard lights." The Officer realized as they broke out into a sprint.

"5021 George, I got a possible on the Buick. It's a junkyard. 47th and Pershing. I need some cars!" Jay radioed.

"5021, George. Units en route."

They ran towards the source of the lights, revealing it to be a gray car with the driver's side door wide open. The Detective approached the car while the Officer went to clear out the warehouse.

"Kim? Ana? Kim!" Jay yelled, pressing his fingers to the injured Officer's carotid. "If you can hear me, we're here."

"Jay? Jay, help. . . Sarge. . ." Kim murmured, head lolling to the side as she regained consciousness.

"She's been shot! They both have!" The Detective reported, practically screaming at the other man as he reached in farther to press his hand to the older woman's throat. "Kev, Kim's awake but Ana unconscious! She's got a pulse. It's shallow, but she's got one!" He frantically started searching around for something and found them on the floor. "I've got keys here. If this starts, we're going!"

"5021 David, emergency 10-1. We've recovered our officers. En route. We have two officers down. Detail initiated immediately. Offender dead in the warehouse." Kevin radioed, urgently, running over and practically diving into the back seat while Jay helped Kim switch seats. "Get these streets shut down. We don't have emergency lights. We're in the Buick."

"Let's go!" Jay urged, hopping back into the driver's seat and forcing the car to go as fast as it could.

"Are they alive?" Hank demanded.

"Jay, are they okay?" Hailey chimed in.

"Kim is awake and talking but Ana's in rough shape. She's got a pulse. It's shallow. We're taking them to Med now." He reported, keeping his gaze locked on the road and ignoring the sirens as they began wailing around them signalling the arrival of their escort. "She was shot twice, center mass. It looks like one round went through her and hit Kim but the other one never exited. She's bleeding. She's been bleeding the whole time. They both have."

*Time Skip brought to you by every scene between Hank and Hailey during this part of the episode*

Several nurses and doctors surrounded Ana's prone form as they rushed her into surgery. Right before she could be placed under anesthesia, her eyes snapped open and focused on the slightly blurry figure of one Dr. Will Halstead.

The red head stared right back at her until her eyes closed and she was rendered unconscious once again. He ignored everyone else's confused and shocked looks and merely finished getting ready instead.

A/N And that is a wrap! I apologize for the late update. You can, once again, blame my crappy internet for it.

Anyway, the next book (which I have yet to come up with a name for and will cover the newest seasons of all the shows) will be up by Monday!

Till then!

~Princess <3

P.S As always, I will not mark this book as complete until I have proofread every chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.9K 585 29
Warning: This is the fourth book in a series. I recommend you go back and read the others starting with "Fight Her" and/or the part in "Protect Her"...
232K 3.6K 43
Moving from Madrid to Chicago and starting as a paramedic at firehouse 51, all Liz Severide wants is two things: leave her old life behind and stay a...
16K 416 28
***PLEASE NOTE: I have 8 One Chicago books! Please check them all out!*** [Hank Voight X OC] "They won't see it the same" I try not to cry, but I can...
33.4K 694 31
Warning: This is the third book in a series. I recommend you go back and read the others starting with "Fight Her" and/or the part in "Protect Her" t...