Crossing Over

By KatherineCosette

The house on Pinewood Drive has been vacant for years now. Local legend tells of an unexplained death and th... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 37

11 3 0
By KatherineCosette

"Alright guys," Owen yelled "this is it. Ten seconds and 9, 8, 7. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and we're live!"

He pointed to Andra who looked directly into the camera and smiled with a confidence that she didn't feel. She couldn't meet Cameron's eyes. 

"Hi, friends. I promised you something special and I don't think tonight is gonna disappoint. First of all, before we get started there are a few things you guys need to know. I'm not on my own tonight. In order to get the job done, I needed the assistance of a few friends. You'll be seeing them and hearing them from time to time both on and off camera. Also, I know I mentioned this earlier in the week but you'll be able to be involved with what we're doing tonight. If you see anything out of the ordinary or even if you just have a question for us leave it in the comments and we'll reply, answer, or check out just as much as we possibly can."

"Alright, so enough of that let's get down to business." Just over Cal's shoulder, she could see the monitor that Owen was working on. He had turned it to give her a visual to work off of. She watched as her image disappeared and was replaced by the images from the cameras placed throughout the house.

"Ok. So what you're seeing here is a live video of a house my friends and I will be investigating tonight. I have a story for you but we'll be releasing that in stages tonight for security reasons."

Yeah and to keep anyone from turning us in for as long as humanly possible she thought sarcastically to herself. "While we're working tonight I want you guys at home to let us know if you see anything out of the ordinary. Now small side note mother nature is putting on one spectacular show right now so some random flashes or loud noises could be attributed to the storm we're experiencing. Now whether we catch anything or not tonight I don't know but I can tell you that at least one member of my group here has experienced extreme activity in this house very recently." 

Everyone in the room turned to look at Cameron except Andra. "So I guess that's everything.  Give us just a moment to get everyone in position and we'll get started."

Owen turned her mic off and the group moved in on the table. On the live feed, the video in the rooms was still running and the comments were pouring in. Outside the rain was coming down in sheets. The wind screamed around the corners of the house in large gusts that had Andra wondering uneasily about the strength of the nearby trees.

Owen began handing out headsets and handheld recorders. "Andra since this investigation is yours and Cameron's you two are gonna call the shots from here. Where do you want us?" 

Andra glanced over at Cameron who took her hand as he stepped to her side. "Whatever you think?" he said

"I think for now," she said hesitantly. "we all need to stay together. No one goes off on their own. This house can be dangerous in broad daylight much less in the dark. Cameron and I will go out first. If you see anything on the cameras let us know and we'll swap it out."

"Sounds good," Owen said.

"Where to?" Cameron asked. 

"We'll start in her room."

"I was afraid you were going to say that. Lead the way."

They made their way upstairs using a small flashlight to see by. Cameron followed just a few steps behind. As they got to the door Andra hesitated. "I've never been here outside of my dreams." She told him. He could feel her trembling beside him. 

"You're right," he said quietly. "And every time you were here you were alone but not tonight. I'll be right here with you."

She nodded and they stepped through the door together. Even though the room looked different from the last time she had been here it still felt surreal. They sat down on the floor facing each other legs crossed knees touching. In one hand she held the recorder Owen had given her in the other she kept Cameron's hand in a death grip. In her ear, she could hear Owen.

"Hey, Andra can you hear me?"

"I can."

"Good. In just a few seconds I'm going to open this up so you can speak to the people watching. Signal us if you need anything and if we see anything you'll hear me just like you are now. Ok?"

"Ok."

"Good. We're going live in 3, 2, 1,"

Andra heard a small click which she assumed meant they were back on the air. "Hey, guys. I'm back and as you can see we are starting our investigation. I have my friend Cameron here with me. We're going to be traveling in groups tonight for safety reasons but don't worry you'll meet the rest of our little crew before the evenings over."

"Well here goes nothing. The home we are in tonight has quite a history attached to it. There are two deaths associated with this house and as we have discovered just recently those were the result of foul play. The coroner's findings don't reflect this it's just details that we've come across recently while investigating this location. Our hope is that our findings tonight will bring some peace to these restless spirits."

Andra clicked the button on the side of the recorder. "Is anyone here with us tonight?"  They listened for a few seconds before she nodded at Cameron to ask the next question. "Were you murdered?" There was another short pause and then Andra spoke. "Who murdered you?"

They took a moment and then ran the recorder back. A few seconds in they had their first response. There were only two words. "Help me." in a hoarse drawn-out whisper. Andra froze. "Owen we've got something. Did you get that?"

"We got it, Andra. "

Before they had time to ask anymore questions they heard footsteps from below. "Owen," Cameron asked. "Is there anyone on the stairs?"

"No. We're all still here with the monitors. We hear it too. The camera's not picking anything up but people at home are hearing it. They're talking about it in the comments."

They listened intently to the approaching footsteps they grew closer and then seemed to stop just outside the open door. There was no one there. Outside the storm only worsened. The thunder rolled and crashed around them feeling as if it were going to shake the house off its very foundation. Andra could hear the rain and what sounded like hail hitting the sides of the house. They sat in the center of her room frozen listening for the sound of her approach over the tumult of the storm.

"Andra, Cameron, things are starting to pick up down here. We have orbs floating just outside the doorway of the room you two are in. We've also got people telling us there was a shadow figure on the stairs about thirty seconds ago. We're gonna roll back the video to check."

Andra gave him a thumbs up and she restarted the recorder. "Is someone here with us?" She waited for a moment but heard nothing. "Are you here?" Andra could feel her anxiety and frustration growing. "You called us here. Where are you? Please show yourself."

She didn't have a chance to roll the recorder back before the bedroom door slammed shut. The air in the room had a heavy feel to it that Andra would have sworn it didn't have before. The hair on her arms was standing up and the room seemed to have picked up a chill.

Cameron put a hand out grabbing the digital thermometer from where Theo had placed it by the wall. "Owen the temperature's dropping up here. We're showing sixty-five degrees," he said in a panicked voice.

"That's not all you've got up there," Owen repeated back. "We're watching what appears to be a shadow figure in the corner of the room behind you Cameron. It's just standing there."

The air was getting heavier and it was getting hard to breathe. The room felt oppressive. "We need to go. It's too much." There was suddenly a low growling noise that seemed to emanate from the corner of the room that Owen had directed them to. It continued to increase in pitch until it was louder than the storm raging outside. "I can't Cameron. I need to get out of here."

The pair stood and started toward the door. Andra had a moment of panic wondering if the door would open but it gave no resistance and then they were hurrying down the stairs. Andra felt like a child again too afraid to look back for fear of what she would see behind her as she fled.

Once they were back in the living room with the rest of the group they took a moment to catch their breath before Andra addressed her audience again. "Sorry for the delay guys I'm not even gonna lie that shook me a little. Apparently, it's going to be pretty active tonight. I wasn't expecting that. My people at home have been amazing. We've got footage of the orbs and the shadow figures you pointed out. We'll replay some of that for you here shortly. Bear with me while I have a quick conversation with my team." Andra said as Owen started to gesture wildly. "I'll be right back.

"What's going on?" she asked him as soon as she knew he had muted the mic.

"Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is the rain doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon. They've issued flash flood warnings and we're stuck. The roads out of here are already flooded."

"So we're trapped?" Cameron asked.

"Essentially yes," Owen answered.

"Then what's the good news?" Andra asked

"It doesn't matter if anyone reports us. We can't get out and they can't get in."

"So what does that mean?" Theo asked.

"It means all bets are off," Andra answered. "It doesn't matter who knows where we are there's nothing they can do about it now and by the time they can we'll already be done."

"In that case, what do you want to do now? Owen asked.

"We're going to do what we came here to do. We tell her story."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.2K 2.9K 26
Hiding out in an abandoned shack from their abusive pasts, Allison and Ethan Bryson entertain themselves by imaging all sorts of curious characters n...
135 45 7
Perfect streets, perfect houses, perfect people, perfect property prices, a perfect short distance to L. City. The perfect paradise for perfectionist...
85.8K 7.7K 60
A twisted tale of death, love, and magic. Enter the mouth of the face in the house... Featured on: "Stranger Summer Reads" (Wattpad Pick)- Summer 201...
3.5K 82 6
[Wattys 2023 Shortlist] Nora Wright is no longer the person she used to be. Once an up-and-coming crime reporter, she now sticks to fluff pieces that...