Rivannah

By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

Born in a royal family and revered by all, Rivannah Rathore is the 19 year old Princess of Bhawanigarh, who... More

Cast 🎬
Duties and Destiny
Bravery and Battles
Stumbles and Surprises
An Apathetic Alliance
Humility and Hiraeth
Secrets and Sonder
Rame and Clashes
Vikram and Abhimanyu
Anger and Schemes
Trust and Friendship
Kindred and Evil
Guilt and Grief
Storms and Hurricanes
Riva and Vikram
Envy and Honour
Need and Care
Red and Rapture
Goa Diaries Part I
Goa Diaries Part II
Goa Diaries Part III
Goa Diaries Part IV
Goa Diaries Part V
Hope and Agony
Lies and Love
Young and Reckless
Birthday and Betrayal
Marriage and Mayhem
AbhiRiva Part I
AbhiRiva Part II

Enigma and Ethereal

98 6 2
By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

Soha^

" Soha get out of my car." 

It was a pleasant morning, Vikram was in a rare good mood, until he saw his incompetent step-sister leisurely sitting in the front seat of his car. He was running late for college, otherwise he would give her a lecture on her uselessness and lack of intelligence.

The window of his grey Audi rolled down, Soha poked out her nasty face out. If there was one thing Vikram hated apart from his step mother, it was her irritating daughter. She was a spoilt spawn of a retired heroine who became a princess by fluke, when her mother married Maharaja Digvijay Singh Ranawat over a year ago. Soha didn't deserve to carry their Ranawat name.

" But why? We're going to the same college."

" Did you forget your contact lenses? I'm not your chauffeur. Now get out of my car before I drag you out myself." Vikram growled, arms crossed over his chest.

" Everyone wonders why we don't come together." Soha said, pretentiously.

" If you came with me, I'll drive over a cliff." Vikram gritted his teeth in annoyance.

Soha clambered from the car afraid that Vikram might toss her out. She puffed her cheeks and turned on her heels, ready to stalk inside angrily and complain to her mother. It wouldn't make a lot of difference , because nobody in their family rebuked him, but at least her wounded ego would be pacified.

" I'm sorry , my love." She heard Vikram coax lovingly, " Don't be mad at me."

Her heart jolted in surprise, she turned to generously forgive her rude step-brother.

Vikram slowly caressed the bonnet of his sleek car  and continued , " I will make sure she never steps in you again. I know you feel exploited and degraded by her presence.Between you and me, I feel the same way."

" You!" Soha stomped her feet like a little girl and ran inside the palace.

Vikram snickered before starting his car and zooming across the streets of Prathampura.His mood lifted when he reached college.He parked in his usual spot and started to walk towards the main building.

He saw Riva sitting on a bench, next to the science department. Under the lush green foliage of the oak tree, she looked bewitching in her mint green kurti, like a forest nymph.She was holding a thick stack of notes and reading it religiously.

Vikram smirked and stalked towards her. Her long brown hair swayed with the gentle wind , and she caught tendril over her face and tucked it behind her ear.

" Listen up," Vikram cleared his throat, catching Riva's attention , " The club will meet in the library at lunchtime."

" You must be sorely mistaken if you think I'm joining." Riva narrowed her eyes at him.

Riva placed the notes on the bench and got to her feet.If she wasn't in the club, they wouldn't have to interact frequently. She wanted nothing more than blending to the background and remaining unnoticed until her temporary hideout in Prathampura is over.

" Is it about yesterday?" Vikram asked, directly, "I'm wholeheartedly welcoming you on the basis of your own merit.I found our tiny argument yesterday rather promising.Besides, you shouldn't discard a concerned professor's effort like that."

He had decided that he must keep an eye on her. She had already roused his curiosity, and he wouldn't let her go until he knew all her secrets.And for that, she couldn't leave the club.

Riva opened her mouth to argue, Vikram changed his tone and threatened, " Yesterday was only a misunderstanding. If you think about rejecting the club, then I will be forced to persuade you," he took a silent step towards her, until they were almost touching each other, " I will not stop until I get what I want."

Feeling strangely weak and vulnerable, Riva struggled to think, to protest...but she had lost her ability to speak logically. Even under the dense shade of the tree, she felt her cheeks warming, as she simply stared at him, eyes wide open and astounded, her heart beating deafeningly.

" So are you in or not?" Vikram said, huskily. A sweet floral smell engulfed him as he came close to her. Her delicate brows scrunched in thought and her gorgeous hazel eyes refused to meet his.

" Fine, whatever," Riva said nervously, her fingers finding the cool metal dial of her watch " Library at lunchtime. Got it."

She didn't glance once at him as she hurriedly stalked towards the science wing. She reached her class, sat down on the first empty chair she saw and hid behind a pile of books, so nobody sees her rose-tinted cheeks.

                                                                                                *

"For the last time, you're not good enough for the club." Vikram said, dismissively.

Soha pouted and followed him as he inspected a shelf of books in the huge library. Everybody academically acclaimed or popular were members in his club. It was rather humiliating that she was not, although it was her brother in-charge. And then she learnt that a new girl was admitted yesterday, and renewed her efforts to appease Vikram.

" You're not being fair." Soha said, accusingly, " You're rejecting me for your own personal vendetta!"

Vikram said tonelessly, " That's not true. You simply don't have enough brain cells for doing intellectual things."

He gave up his pursuit and sat with the rest of the members of the club.They paused their conversations, and gave him expectant looks, waiting eagerly for the meeting to start.There were only eight familiar faces, the newest member was missing.

" You shouldn't be here, Soha." Vikram warned irritably.

It was already seven minutes since the bell rung. He was brooding that Riva hadn't shown up yet. He didn't want to chide her about punctuality and discipline on the first day. But her tardiness was making him angrier by the minute.Soha tailing him and getting on his nerves wasn't helping either.

" You allowed a new member to join, didn't you?" Soha said pointedly, " Where is she? How can you reject me when I'm on time and she's nowhere to be found? Isn't that biased?"

Vikram's dark eyes seared with unlimited hostility, and he opened his mouth to answer, but the library door opened timely, interrupting him.

Riva entered the room with Professor Malkani, who was chatting amiably with Riva as she carried the huge pile of books the professor was going to return to the library. Riva smiled politely as she deposited them on the librarian's desk with a loud thud.

"It's rather pleasing that you've decided to join the debate club." Professor Malkani said, smiling at Vikram, then turning to look at her, " I hope you'll add to the debate team!"

Riva struggled to form an answer, it was the Professor's fault that she's here! The last thing she wanted was Vikram's attention! But she couldn't reject the club in front of him...so...

" You're very helpful, sir." Riva said, veiling her sarcasm.

Professor Malkani was overly pleased after helping a valuable student settle down and make new friends, and failed to hear the Riva's sardonic tone. He left the library grinning amiably and having  immense satisfaction of being a great teacher.

" You must be a serious teacher's pet." Vikram said, dumbfounded.

" No way," Riva said, indignantly, " I think he was ensuring I would come here."

Vikram's lips twitched into a smile, then he cleared his throat, " Let's start with the introductions, shall we?"

                                                                                                    *

" As you all may know, the annual Silver Jubilee Commemorative Debate is going to be hosted in a few weeks." Vikram informed, " And as the debate club it is our responsibility to ensure that the event is concluded smoothly. We are going to divide duties like every year."

Everybody nodded in agreement, soon all the work was accounted for. Riva internally cheered that she doesn't have to do a thing, being the newbie. She could sit back and relax as they hurried around to meet the deadlines.

" Oh, and Riva?" Vikram smirked , as if reading her thoughts, " You're with me."

" And what are you doing exactly?"

" I'll be inviting the chief guests, judges and other dignitaries." Vikram smirked as her expression became miserable , " And you will help the others whenever they need you or you're free. Aren't you excited?"

" Yay." Riva said half-heartedly.

A few of the members chuckled or exchanged amused looks with one another.The bell sounded signalling the lunch break to be over. Riva took her leather backpack and strode out of the library before anyone could ask her to run errands for them. Vikram had really found a novel way of harassing her - making her available at everyone's beck and call.

" Are you running away because you have a class?" Vikram suggested, walking beside her, with great ease.

" Do you want something?"

" I'm going to design the invitations and get them printed. You must collect them tomorrow."

" Anything else?"

" What are you doing this Saturday?"

Riva paused mid-step and looked at him fiercely.

Vikram blinked innocently and clarified, " We're going to go around and deliver the invites to the judges and trustees. Don't flatter yourself, Riva."

" I can't come with you." Riva said , acidly, " It will damage my reputation if I'm seen hanging out with wanton boys."

"You could help Shaurya then. He's arranging the stays and conveyance of the guest teams." Vikram replied, cheekily, " He really looks up to you."

He had been looking aplenty during the whole meeting. Riva rolled her eyes in frustration and said 'Fine' under her breath. 

                                                                                                       *

Riva fiddled with the silk scarf she used to tie her hair. She was standing in front of the college gate, holding a packet full of invitation cards. Vikram was due to meet her at this designated time and place.

Aditi had dropped her here with a puzzled expression but didn't ask questions . Riva only told her she was doing some work assigned in the club , which was not a lie , but she conveniently left out that Vikram would be accompanying her. She just wanted the job to be done and over with.

She glanced at her favourite watch and tapped her foot impatiently. Nestled in her arms were the invitation cards she had to pick up from the printing press. They were rather simple yet elegant, black cursive handwriting on ivory paper. The edges were decorated tiny gold motifs and the college's emblem was on top centre.

The sleek grey car came from the opposing road like a silent predatory creature and stopped right in front of her. Riva took a deep breath as she opened the passenger door and sat inside.

Vikram was wearing a crisp black shirt and grey dress pants.The car smelled like expensive musky cologne, and his hair were perfectly styled.He looked like he meant business.

" What?" He muttered, feeling her eyes on him, " I know most of the dignitaries personally. Our family has a certain image to maintain."

" You're just flaunting your princely status, so they feel obliged to attend the event." Riva rolled her eyes.

 As if she didn't know what he was doing.It was one of the reasons why he was going to invite them in person. Otherwise mailing the invites would be enough. Nobody would dare not to attend an event when the prince of Prathampura requests their presence. 

" Maybe you're not as dumb as I thought." Vikram grinned, appreciatively.

                                                                                                            *

Vikram was discussing keenly politics with the town's mayor. Digvijay Singh Ranawat was the MP of Prathampura and a senior leader in the renown Rashtrawadi Party. Therefore the mayor entertained Vikram warmly and chatted like they were old friends, while Riva sat on one corner of the sofa regretting her decision to accompany him.

" I would definitely make an appearance at the event." The mayor said magnanimously, as they shook hands and walked out of the lavish drawing room of the mayor's villa.

Riva got to her feet, yawned and thought wistfully about all the things she could have done on such a lovely, lazy Saturday.

" I hope you're enjoying yourself." Vikram smirked as he opened the car's door like a perfect gentleman.

Riva rubbed her weary eyes and asked tiredly, " How many people left?"

"There's only one. He lives in the outskirts of Prathampura and Suryagarh, so it's a long ride." Vikram said, comfortingly.

Vikram knew she wasn't remotely interested in meeting the invitees.His power and connections didn't impress her either. Any other girl would have been curious or felt out-of-place.

Riva played with the clasp of her watch in absolute boredom.There wasn't any music blaring on the sophisticated radio, and she didn't want to speak to Vikram. He would ask her about herself, and she'd have to make stories, and it gets tiring keeping track of lies.

Her mind was filled with broken thoughts...her father's slow recovery......the enemy lurking in shadows... her half cooked plans to find him...

She winced when Vikram took an abrupt halt. The car skidded against the fine gravel, and a grand door opened for it to enter. Riva looked out of the window, brows raised in stupefaction.

A massive palace made out of pink sandstone and palm court marble stood magnificently in front of them. Designed like a decadent crown , the immense central dome tapered to the elegant building with marble trimmings.There carefully manicured gardens and flowers bushes , stone arches and the immense marble fountain at the centre of the driveway.

The place looked like it was plucked out of a bygone era.Even though her eyes had seen nothing but luxury all her life, she felt mildly overwhelmed in front of the enthralling place.

" Welcome to Suryagarh Palace." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254K 15.5K 38
3 brothers, 3 women and 3 stories The vicious love of royals is a combination of 1 family and 3 vicious romances 1. THE VICIOUS BET Daharthya Rajpu...
18.4K 910 19
What will happen when a feisty and independent girl gets stuck in a place where people are after her life and are adamant on snatching her freedom, c...
59.7K 3.5K 35
Book 1 of sparkle series✨ Ruhika Rajvansh (25) :- CEO of Rajvansh Cooperation(worlds largest company and spread in all fields like Hospital, hotels,m...
2.9M 149K 51
A hearty "Padharo Mhare Des!" to all you wonderful readers, Meet our protagonist, Ruhaan Singh Rajvansh, our dashing Raana sa with a heart that echoe...