Redamancy | Elena Gilbert

By SprintingFox

One seemed to know everything about love, while the other couldn't claim any experience with it. What was sup... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Final Author's Note

Chapter 58

800 34 0
By SprintingFox

Kai was ready to leave

"Well, this has been fun," he said, walking to where Rosalind was standing. He didn't sound like he meant his words. "But it's time for me to get going."

"I suggest you go the other way," said Rosalind, noticing he was about to step over the anti-magic border. "I can kill you in the real world. I'd rather not do that, since Ruby is right. You deserve to be free, everyone does. Go live the life you didn't get to. Send us a postcard." She took the pen she still had in her pocket, and grabbed his arm, writing her phone number on his hand. "You get into trouble, call this number. Within reason, I'll help. But this is your start with getting to be more independent. Try not to rely on me, or anyone else."

Kai was surprised to see her do this. But whatever he was feeling regarding her actions, he didn't voice it. His expression was hard to read. "Do you have money?" he asked dryly. "Can't leave town without something to get me started."

"I don't have cash right now," said Rosalind. "I can help you set up a bank account and compel you something to get started. But right now..." she glanced toward Mystic Falls, then away from it, "I need to find my girl."

"I'll go with you," said Kai. "Unless you want to let a sociopath loose in Mystic Falls."

"Are you threatening me?" asked Rosalind, narrowing her eyes at him.

He smiled. "It could be a threat."

"You are so pleasant," said Rosalind sarcastically. She turned to Ruby and Bonnie. "What's the verdict?"

"Just let him come with," said Ruby with a shrug. "We can tolerate him for a bit longer."

"Who are you going to call first?" asked Bonnie as Rosalind led the way to the main road. "Elena? She might—"

"—pass out," finished Rosalind. "That, or she's in class. It's midday. No, I'm going to call Damon. He'll gather them without telling them and we can surprise them. Get them all in one building, make it easier on everybody. I'll see if he can lure them to my apartment in Whitmore... assuming Tyler didn't get rid of it and go with Caroline somewhere."

They found a man in a truck driving out of Mystic Falls. He stopped when he saw Rosalind waving.

"Hey there," she said, looking into his eyes. "We need your phone, and a ride to Whitmore College."

"Sure," he replied. "I'll give you a ride."

They climbed into the truck, with Rosalind in the front, and Kai between Ruby and Bonnie. Ruby suggested they put Kai in the trunk.

Rosalind dialed Damon's number, waiting for him to answer. The phone was propped up on her shoulder while she looked out the window, relieved to finally recognize buildings as they looked in 2012.

"Who's this?"

"Damon," she replied. "It's Rosalind."

"Rosalind? How the hell are you calling me right now?"

"That is a long story. Can you get everyone to meet at my apartment, please? Bonnie and I are on our way there."

"Bonnie's with you? You two are alive?"

Rosalind smiled. "Yeah. Just... get everyone. See if my Aunt Carol can come, too."

"You got it. Hey... welcome back to the land of the living."

"Thanks. I'll see you soon, we're about thirty minutes away."

"Got it. We'll be there before you arrive."

She hung up, and turned to Ruby and Bonnie, faltering when she noticed Ruby was picking at her nails again. "You okay?"

"Nervous," she admitted. "Damon... that's the one that killed Mason, isn't it?"

"Yeah. But I don't hold it against him anymore because when my dad came back as a ghost, he talked to him as if they were friends. Wanted me not to hold that grudge."

Ruby hummed. "And where are we going to leave Kai?"

They all turned to look at him, and found he was chewing an entire packet of gum he'd found in the seat pouch.

"Maybe a hospital," said Bonnie thoughtfully. "Or a fire station."

"I'm right here," said Kai, not finding this amusing.

Rosalind sighed. "Well, where do you have planned to go?"

"Whitmore," he said.

"You're not going to live in my apartment, FYI."

"Don't want to. I'll just stick around Whitmore 'til I figure it out."

Rosalind rubbed her forehead. "Are you going to be okay if we leave you in like, a campus restaurant or something while we meet up with the others?"

"Only if you compel me unlimited food."

"Only if you promise not to kill anyone."

Kai mulled it over. "I could make an effort to spare them if they do everything I want them to."

"Done," said Rosalind. "But as an extra little threat, don't kill anyone or I'll kill you."

Kai shrugged. "I want food."

"You're going to need a new ID," noted Ruby. "You still carry the one you had before we were trapped. You should get one with a 1990 birth year so it makes sense that you look twenty-two."

"Look at you, being all smart, Ru-Ru," said Kai, nudging her side.

She simply rolled her eyes and leaned her head on the window.

Kai was happy to be left at the dining hall while Rosalind, Ruby, and Bonnie walked to her apartment. Ruby kept pinching her arms, as if to convince herself that this was real. The other people she was watching pass by were real. The buildings, the cars, the sounds, all of it was real. She nearly cried when a stray cat passed by them. She hadn't seen a cat since 1994.

"Why are we all here?" she heard Caroline asking as they neared the door of the apartment. "Way to be all vague and say it was an emergency just to reveal you have nothing to say."

"Just wait," said Damon. "Door's open."

Rosalind took the doorknob in hand, swinging it open. Everyone in the apartment froze at the sight of her.

"Bonnie," whispered Caroline, covering her mouth. "Rosalind."

The hybrid made to greet them, but was stopped when a figure crashed into her. She put her arms around them when she smelled Elena's perfume.

"You're alive," whimpered Elena in her ear, nuzzling her face into Rosalind's neck. "You're here..."

"I'm here," replied Rosalind, caressing the back of her head. "Oh..." she felt Elena shaking, as if she'd begun to cry. She drew back to cup her face. "Don't cry... this is real."

"I know it is," said Elena, drying her eyes. "They're happy tears, I promise. For once, I'm crying for something goodthat's happened..." taking Rosalind's face in her hands, she kissed her.

Rosalind could hear the others swarming forward to hug her and Bonnie, wherever they could reach. Ruby remained in the doorway, not entirely sure where to go. Tyler and Carol weren't there yet, and though she vaguely recognized all of them, they didn't know her.

"Ric's teaching a class right now," said Damon, ruffling her hair as she came to hug him. "You can thank your girlfriend for that, she got him to teach again."

"Hey," said Lexi from the other side of the room, making a face. "I also helped to convince him."

"Lexi," said Rosalind with a smile. "It's good to see you. And Jesse—" she hugged him first before greeting the blonde. "Everyone..." she drew back to take Ruby's hand, leading her into the room. "I promise we're going to explain everything soon. But before we do that, I want to introduce you to... Ruby Collins. My mother."

Damon didn't seem to understand the concept of sitting down and shutting up to give them a chance to tell their story. But, despite his insistence on asking questions, they managed to explain to all of them what had happened after they died, and how they'd gotten here. Rosalind refrained from mentioning the cure, wishing to tell Elena privately after Ruby had gotten a drink.

What Rosalind didn't anticipate was having to hear their side of it. How everything had changed since she and Bonnie 'died.'

They couldn't live in Mystic Falls anymore. Try as they might, they hadn't found a way to remove the Traveler spell, which could apparently undo compulsion if someone they compelled went back into the town borders. Rosalind cursed when she realized the man who gave them a ride to Whitmore would probably remember everything by tonight.

Liz and Carol had helped them move their things to apartments in Whitmore. Stefan and Damon had settled for a much less luxurious house, which Lexi happily moved into and decorated to her liking. Stefan didn't mind, but according to Damon, he was sick of having to take his shoes off in the doorway.

Alaric had become a Professor at Whitmore, but struggled with remaining an Original vampire who now had to feed. Meanwhile, Tyler was dealing with being a regular human with a wolf gene all over again. He was struggling to control his temper, which had become easier after triggering his curse the previous time. He was being careful, trying not to repeat the past, but having lost his hybrid abilities really did stress him out the first few weeks. He'd almost killed someone just a few days prior, apparently, but Damon had snapped the person's neck so that the death would be on his hands, not Tyler's. According to Damon, he figured it was what Rosalind would have done for Tyler. Being weaker wasn't fun for him, just like being stronger reminded Alaric of a dark time he'd rather forget.

Enzo, apparently, had been helping them search for a way to 'resurrect' Rosalind and Bonnie. He was currently driving to Portland to follow a lead. Damon had already sent a text telling him to come back. Rosalind was surprised that he'd cared enough to do that, but she quickly found out that Caroline had threatened him into helping. That part made more sense.

Jeremy was on a flight back from Colorado, where he'd gone to look at an art school he might attend after graduation. He had been in a very dark place shortly after he thought Bonnie was gone for good, and he'd only recently decided he probably needed to leave to feel sane again. Hearing this made Bonnie tense guiltily. She hadn't given Jeremy much of a heads up before the Other Side collapsed.

Then, came the worst revelation of all. Elena had been explaining how she'd entered a new Pre-Med program that was allowing her to shadow doctors at Whitmore Hospital when she let slip that they almost didn't accept her because she'd been in New Orleans.

"New Orleans?" asked Rosalind curiously. "Why did you go there?"

Elena faltered. "Shit. Rosalind... I..."

She was confused. "Did you go to help out with Klaus's baby?"

The doppelgänger's eyes watered. "Rosalind, there is no baby."

The hybrid raised a brow. "There was a baby, I know that, Hayley's pregnancy wasn't fake."

"No, I know, it just..." she bit her lip, "the baby died. There was an attack on the Compound. This evil wolf pack sold them out to the witches and the baby died in the struggle. Hayley's a hybrid now, turned by the baby's blood. The little girl only lived long enough for her to transition. It died in their arms... the day the Other Side collapsed."

Rosalind felt like she was frozen. Elena continued to talk, "I went to New Orleans to help Klaus and Hayley... they needed some emotional support so I helped and honestly... being here was making me miserable. Klaus took it reallyhard when he lost you and his daughter on the same day. We should go to New Orleans so he can see that you're alive..."

The hybrid put her head down, covering her face. "Oh god," she said, her voice cracking. "This whole time I've been thinking she was born just fine... that he got to have her in that beautiful little nursery he decorated... Hayley would have named her Andrea Nicolette Mikaelson... Rebekah would have styled her in all these cute little onesies. But she's... she's dead..."

Elena put an arm around her, rubbing her back while she cried. Ruby was starting to tear up on the other side of the couch. Bonnie gave her a reassuring pat on her arm.

"I'll be back," said Damon, standing up. "Enzo's almost in Virginia. I'll bring him, and some food. What are you two... three... craving? Any special requests?"

Bonnie turned to Ruby, since Rosalind was unable to speak. "What are you craving, Ruby?" asked Bonnie. "Anything you've been wanting to eat?"

Ruby wasn't sure what to say. "I... I haven't had a good burger in a really long time."

"Burgers for everyone," said Lexi enthusiastically, nudging Stefan. "How about we get the food, and Damon gets Enzo?"

"Good idea," said Stefan, nodding his head as he, Damon, and Lexi left the apartment.

They heard the sound of keys jingling on the other side of the door shortly after their departure. Rosalind quickly composed herself, knowing that Tyler was about to come in, probably accompanied by his mother.

Ruby got to her feet when the door opened. Carol walked in first, and had to come to a harsh stop, her hand over her heart when she looked between Rosalind and Ruby.

"Rosie," said Tyler, relieved as he ran to hug his cousin.

"Tyler," sighed Rosalind, relaxing in his hold. "You feel..."

"Weak," he finished for her. "It's okay, you can say it." He had to do a double-take when he saw Ruby. "Wait, that looks like—?"

"My mom," said Rosalind. "It's a long story, we'll tell it again in just a moment. But... Aunt Carol, Tyler... this is really her. This is Ruby, my mother."

Carol was still frozen in shock. Tyler extended his hand to Ruby. "Hi," he said, a bit awkwardly. "Do I call you Aunt Ruby, or—?"

"If you'd like," said Ruby in a small voice. "I wasn't officially your aunt, but..."

"Yes you were," said Carol, finding her voice. "Mason wanted to marry you. And you were still my sister..."

Ruby gulped. "Carol, I have so much to explain... I'm sorry..."

"No," said Carol, shaking her head and walking toward her. "Don't apologize. Ruby... just let me look at you..." her lip trembled, hands traveling from Ruby's palms, up to her face. "Oh... you are just as beautiful as I remember you..."

Ruby was the first to burst into tears. "I'm so sorry," she sobbed, despite Carol having told her not to apologize. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

Carol shushed her gently, putting a hand on the back of her head as she hugged her. "Oh, sweetheart... shhh... you're here. You're here, that's what matters. You're alive..."

"You thought I was dead?" asked Ruby hoarsely.

"I didn't know what to think," said Carol honestly. "I just never thought I'd see you again. Ruby..." she stifled a sob in Ruby's shoulder, then straightened up. "You met your little girl."

"I did," said Ruby softly. "She told me what happened to Richard... to Mason..."

Carol nodded, sighing softly. "I know... I know..."

They gave Carol and Ruby some time alone to talk. Rosalind explained everything to Tyler, then excused herself to go into her room, still preserved as it'd been on the day she 'died.'

"Hey," said Elena, holding out her phone and a glass of water. "Drink something. I was thinking we could call Klaus."

Rosalind nodded, sitting on her bed. "How are you, Elena?"

"Much better now," said Elena gently. "It was really hard, you know, those first days. Having to be the one to tell Klaus, finding out about his little girl. He and Kol were sad, and so was I. We kept each other company. Hayley is actually really nice. She needed someone there for support... Rebekah left because she got in a fight with Klaus. When I came back, I felt... really empty. I trained with Alaric and Jeremy, but I was still hurting all the time because I remembered training with you. I remembered us sitting and watching movies, you playing with my hair while I rested my head on your lap. Little things that I had never thought of so much. I missed every bit of your touch. Hearing your voice, your laugh. Everyone else was mourning two friends... which is still horrible, and all... but Tyler and I were mourning so much more. He was struggling to deal with his new body, and I was struggling to find meaning in life without you in it."

She set her phone down and bit her lip, trying to conceal a frown. "As relieved as I am," continued Elena, "I am also somad at you. I was mad at you, for taking on the task of blowing up the Travelers just so we wouldn't all have it on our conscience, so that Damon didn't have to be alone, so you could last the longest and make sure no one else got hurt. I hatethat you took it upon yourself to do that."

Rosalind blew air out of her mouth. "That is... valid."

"I want a future with you, Rosalind," said Elena. "I want us to either live together forever as immortals or find some way to be mortal and grow old together. That can't happen if you go off sacrificing yourself. So if you ever, ever do that again—"

"I know," said Rosalind softly. "I'm sorry. I was impulsive. But... on that note about growing old together... I have something. In the prison world, every object that existed on May 10th, 1994 was there, accessible. That included... the cure."

She withdrew the small box with the cure in it. Elena's eyes widened. "That's it?"

"Yes, it is," said Rosalind. "And this time, I'm not giving it to anyone to make them suffer. Ruby wants to take it. She can take it, and one of us can drink from her, while the other waits to drink from whoever draws it from her. Then someone else can take it and store it and we can give it to Rebekah or whoever else wants to stop being a vampire. If you want to take it, that is."

Elena was at a loss for words. "I do still want to," she whispered. "I just think we should wait... and think about it a bit more. Maybe... maybe we could give it to Ruby first. Then Alaric can drink from her, because he doesn't want to be an Original anymore. We can take it from his blood and save it until we decide if we'll use it or not."

"That sounds like a good idea," said Rosalind, tucking the cure away. She reached out to hold Elena's chin. "I promise you, I am here to stay. For as long as I possibly can. 'Til death do us part."

"Don't ever sacrifice yourself again," Elena said sternly. "Or I'll kill you myself."

Rosalind smirked. "I abide by those terms."

Elena picked up her phone again. "How about we call Klaus now?"

"I'd like that. Yes, please. Wait, so you have his number now?"

She nodded. "Yep." She dialed it, trying to start a FaceTime. "Oh, and one more thing... Lexi and Jesse are kind of a thing, but they haven't really told anyone anything officially, we're sort of just assuming based on the fact they're alwaysat the library together. And then, I still need to tell you about Jo, the doctor that's teaching me at the hospital. Her and Ric are having a thing, and she's a witch."

Rosalind pursed her lips, managing to keep a smile contained. "Well, I certainly want to learn more about that soon enough."

Elena tilted the phone to just show her own face just a second before Klaus answered. "Elena," he said glumly as he replied. "I don't recall being told you were going to call me."

"I know," she said apologetically. "I'm very aware you don't like being surprised with calls. But... I do have something important to say. Is Kol there?"

"No," he replied. "With his girlfriend, again. What is it?"

She turned the phone to show Rosalind, who was waving. "Hey, stranger," she said, winking and flicking two fingers off her forehead in a salute.

Klaus's face immediately changed from sad and almost angry-looking to elated. "Rosalind," he said, so quietly she almost didn't hear him.

"I'm going to have to call you on my own phone later tonight to tell you the story," said Rosalind. "I've told it twice already and I need a short break before I explain it all. I did want to ask, though, is it a good time to come to New Orleans?"

Klaus was struggling to speak, a grin on his face. "I've been wanting you to come to New Orleans for ages, love. Both of you, you ought to come and spend a few days here."

"I think we will, soon," said Rosalind. "Once we figure out some things here. My um... my mother is here, too. She's a vampire. That's another long story, one I hope to tell you very soon. When we're able to, we're going to go. Klaus..." she became more serious, "I am so sorry about your little girl. I wish there was something I could have done..."

"It was out of our control," he murmured. "Just as I wish there was something I could have done to prevent your death." He cleared his throat. "I must get going to tell Kol of your return. There are a few things that need to be settled here before the city can truly be deemed 'safe' for your arrival. However, whenever you'd like to come, you are welcome."

"If there is anything we can do to help—"

"I will tell you," promised Klaus. "In the meantime... I will await a call with more details."

"Take care, Klaus," said Rosalind. "It's good to see your face again."

He smiled. "And it is good to hear your voice. We'll be in touch." He hung up.

"Another call," said Elena, the screen changing just as Klaus's face disappeared. "Um, Caroline? I thought you were still here."

"Damon and Enzo were kidnapped," said Caroline urgently. "Tripp has them."

Rosalind tilted her head. "Who the hell is Tripp?"

Elena grimaced. "I'll tell you on the way. Time to go on a rescue mission."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317K 8.6K 97
"π™π™π™š 𝙒𝙀𝙨𝙩 π™—π™šπ™–π™ͺπ™©π™žπ™›π™ͺ𝙑 π™₯π™šπ™€π™₯π™‘π™š π™–π™§π™š π™π™žπ™™π™™π™šπ™£ π™žπ™£ π™©π™π™š π™™π™–π™§π™ π™šπ™¨π™© π™˜π™€π™§π™£π™šπ™§π™¨ 𝙀𝙛 𝙀π™ͺ𝙧 π™‘π™žπ™›π™š," Rosamarie Petro...
27.4K 817 20
❝there is a swelling storm and i'm caught up in the middle of it all and it takes control of the person that i thought i was the girl i used to know❞...
95.8K 2.9K 28
She had hoped that despite her family name leading her down a supernatural path, she'd manage to pull away from it and have a career free of vampires...
100K 3K 36
Left with nothing, she accepted to living in the home of the most dangerous vampires in the world, despite knowing she'd be powerless if they decided...