Rivannah

By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

Born in a royal family and revered by all, Rivannah Rathore is the 19 year old Princess of Bhawanigarh, who... More

Cast 🎬
Duties and Destiny
Bravery and Battles
Stumbles and Surprises
An Apathetic Alliance
Secrets and Sonder
Rame and Clashes
Enigma and Ethereal
Vikram and Abhimanyu
Anger and Schemes
Trust and Friendship
Kindred and Evil
Guilt and Grief
Storms and Hurricanes
Riva and Vikram
Envy and Honour
Need and Care
Red and Rapture
Goa Diaries Part I
Goa Diaries Part II
Goa Diaries Part III
Goa Diaries Part IV
Goa Diaries Part V
Hope and Agony
Lies and Love
Young and Reckless
Birthday and Betrayal
Marriage and Mayhem
AbhiRiva Part I
AbhiRiva Part II

Humility and Hiraeth

131 5 0
By BlackCoffeeAndRoses

Aditi^

" We're here." Abhimanyu poked her shoulder. 

Any physical contact with her would be rather inappropriate since she was an unmarried girl. He swallowed, thinking about how  her slender fingers felt on his burning skin...her hands finding his shoulder for support as she rolled the glaze around his wound...

Rivannah swatted his hand away and mumbled incoherently. Most of her dark tresses had fallen out from the messy bun , and she slept with the nape of her neck bared to him. She looked innocent and naive. But Abhimanyu had ample proof that she was an obstinate hellion. Extremely unladylike and outspoken.  

 He honked the horn of his car noisily, until Rivannah jerked awake and shut her ears with her hands forcefully, yelling" Stop it!"

Her eyelids were pinched close and Abhimanyu chuckled at her dazed expression.

" We're at your new humble abode.You might want to fix yourself. Ambika Ba is expecting a Princess and not a homeless." Abhimanyu joked as he came out to give her privacy.

Rivannah groaned in frustration and fixed her hair. Not only he had woken her up with such a loud sound, he had the audacity to call her a homeless person! She let her hair loose because they were pretty tangled anyway, and frowned at her reflection. She looked sleep deprived and tired.

Rivannah climbed out of the car, to see a modest looking two storey house, partly covered by an old looking banyan tree.It had seen better days, its paint was peeling off. There were no houses near it, and the house had a small garden, which gave into an open field. 

I'm doing this for my father. She told herself over and over again,This too shall pass!

" Maybe this is your humble cue to stop being a pampered and spoilt princess. Make most of it." Abhimanyu said mockingly, only to meet a pair of outraged eyes.

" Don't give me advice I didn't ask for!" Rivannah exclaimed as she  stomped past him .

She reached the door and hesitantly knocked at it. Abhimanyu snickered behind her,pressing the button for the bell , next to the door.

" You're a very long way from the palace." He murmured as he leered. The bell chimed and the door swung open. A broad middle aged woman wearing a bright coloured sari smiled at them and ushered them inside.

" I'm Ambika Patel." She introduced herself , " And you must be Princess Rivannah Rathore."

" Uh, I thought I'd change my name. So I can hide my identity better." Rivannah said awkwardly. Ambika gestured them to sit on the sofa. Abhimanyu sat down but he was observing Rivannah keenly.

" That's a very good idea." Ambika said approvingly , " Have you thought about any?"

Rivannah nodded, her face drooping in sadness, " Riva." 

It was her nick name.

" That will do. Although Rina or Hemlata are pretty common and boring names, too." Abhimanyu suggested.

"Nobody asked you." Riva gritted her teeth, " Don't do such a terrible job naming your daughters!"

Abhimanyu's eyes were clouded with a snippet of unknown emotion, but it vanished as soon as it came.Ambika looked at their playful banter and grinned.She had known Yuvraj since he was four, had seen him grow up into the brazen and domineering  individual. She could sense that he had a sweet spot of tolerance for Rivannah...Riva...and it was a good thing, considering he could learn a thing or two about patience.

" You must be famished..." Ambika said," Do you want a late breakfast?"

Riva opened her mouth to say no, Abhimanyu grinned , " Yes, please. I'm starving, Ambika Ba."

He followed her to the kitchen and Riva blinked in confusion. Hadn't he blatantly refused Badi Maharani sa's invitation to breakfast? How did his appetite work up so fast?

" Would you like some, Riva?" Ambika looked over her shoulder. Well, she had only nibbled a bit of toast and had some juice.

" Sure ." She nodded, observing the house.

It had a simple sitting area with blue coloured sofa and some wicker chairs.There were framed photographs of Gods and Goddesses on the walls. The kitchen was barely a few steps away from the main room. It was small but cozy. She watched Abhimanyu lean against a tiled wall and drink something out of a cup. Everything was normal here...yet completely new to her.

" Poha?" Ambika Ba handed her a plate , " You don't need to feel awkward.This is your home, too."

Riva took the plate and nodded politely. Give it some time, she told herself. Maybe she'll like this new place and the new college. Change shouldn't scare her, she should embrace it and go with flow.

" You're putting too much stress on that non-existent brain of yours." Abhimanyu whispered into her ear.

" Aren't you busy? You can go now and attend your princely duties." She replied dismissively.

" I don't have all day. I'm here only for Ambika Ba's poha. Oh, Man Singh would deliver your luggage in the evening." Abhimanyu sipped his tea and continued , " Make sure you keep a low profile. If you need lessons in being boring, you can ask Aditi."

" Aditi is my daughter ," Ambika said warmly, as if not hearing Abhimanyu's mockery," she's in second year. She'll help you figure out college and stuff."

" Right, of course." Riva said tonelessly.

Abhimanyu glanced at his expensive looking watch and said," I'd better be going. I'll leave her in your capable hands, Ambika Ba." He turned to Riva, and his tone changed," You'd better behave, Riva. I shouldn't hear any complains."

" Don't forget to see a doctor." Riva said patronisingly, " You know, it might get infected."

He gave her a nasty look and left the house twice as fast. He didn't want Ambika Ba to know he was injured. She'd worry too much and pester him to drink her smelly kaada.

" He won't be around every day, will he?" Riva sighed, dreading their next conversation.

" I wish he would. But he's rarely free these days." Ambika smiled. She observed the girl as she ate her poha and awkwardly placed her plate next to Abhimanyu's.

This was a pampered royal princess from the palace and Ambika had a lot of experience with them. Any other royal would have scoffed and refused to stand in an inferior place, let alone stay in one. Riva was rather unique, her eyes were full of curiosity and fear, but not dread and scorn. At least Riva didn't think lowly of her home and her yet. And for that, Ambika liked her infinitely more.

" Do you want to see your room?" Ambika suggested.

" If that's OK." Riva nodded, hesitantly. She followed Ambika to a small flight of stairs. The second storey of the house was bare. It only had three doors. One of the doors on the side had a wooden plaque that said Aditi in cursive script.

" This is your room." Ambika opened the door facing Aditi's, " The third door opens to the terrace, but it's currently jammed, so you can't see it. The room isn't anything special, but you can keep it as you like. There's a shared bathroom downstairs.If you need anything or even if you want to talk, I'll be in the kitchen."

She gave Riva a small motherly pat on the head and left her.

Riva scanned the room. It wasn't big, there was a bed and an old study table and a small, round mirror hung on the wall. There was a small cupboard and a window overlooking the empty field and the garden.She sat on the bed and told herself fiercely, This too shall pass.

                                                                                               *

Aditi wiped the sweat off her face with her dupatta and handed her mother the huge bag of groceries. It was blistering hot outside and she dropped on the sofa to rest. After catching her breath, she bounced on her feet.

" Is she here?" She enquired excitedly.

Ambika grinned, "She's upstairs.But I think she want to be alon-"

Aditi was on her feet before she could end the sentence.She climbed the stairs two at a time. Yesterday, Badi Maharani sa, her aunt's employer had personally called and requested her mother to take in Riva for some time. Aditi had never heard a more clear and authoritative voice in her life.

It still made her nervous to think about Badi Maharani sa.

Her mother had consented and was told that Riva would come here in the morning.Aditi scrubbed and cleaned the spare room till it was spotless and spent all her morning running errands for her mother. Aditi didn't know what kind of person Riva was, but she hoped and she had a gut feeling that they'll be good friends.

Riva was leaning on the windowsill poking her head out for some much needed fresh hair. She didn't hear the door opening with a squeak, nor the excited girl who came in.

" Hey! I hope you are not tired from the long journey!" Aditi cried cheerfully.

Riva jumped in startle and hit her head on the window frame. She winced, massaging the throbbing part of head, turned and glared at the intruder venomously. Aditi took a step back and held her hands in surrender.

" I shouldn't have spooked you like that! I'm so sorry!" Aditi blabbered nervously , " Please don't be cross at me. I swear I had no idea that I'll startle you! Does your hear hurt? I have a really good herbal balm if you'd want..."

" I'm not angry." Riva said curtly," It's fine, I don't need any balms."

Riva crossed her hands and inspected Aditi. She was a young girl with short stature and a pretty face. She wore a sky blue salwar suit and her long black hair were made into two thick braids. She looked extremely innocent and happy.

" You aren't?" Aditi sighed in relief, " Thank God! I thought we're meant to be friends, but maybe you hate me for sneaking up on you.That would be awkward for me."

" You must be Aditi." Riva identified, not listening to half of her words.

" Yes! Did my mother tell you anything about me?" Aditi's brown eyes twinkled with mirth and enthusiasm, " I hope she didn't tell you any of her stories. I'm not that bad at cooking as she claims. At least, not anymore."

" She didn't tell me anything about you." Riva said matter-of-factly," Except that we're in the same college."

" Oh right , I'm a second year," Aditi chuckled awkwardly. She shouldn't have said that. She always said too much and regretted it later, " You're in BA program, too?"

" No, I'm doing masters in mechanical engineering. I've already completed my undergrad." Riva said coolly.

She had done her UG from MIT Boston. They even asked her to stay for her masters but Riva had declined. She wanted to complete her studies in her own country and start her first project in Bhawanigarh.

It's cruel how things never happen the way one wants them.

"Oh that's lovely. Our college is excellent for science students. A little harsh, too. They're always so busy." Aditi chortled awkwardly," When are you joining?"

" I don't know." Riva shrugged casually , " But tomorrow is as good a day as any."

" Perfect!" Aditi clapped her hands in glee , " I'll help you settle in then. Where's your stuff?" She looked around, but found the room as sparse as she left it.

" It'll be here later." Riva glanced at the window longingly, " Can you give me a tour of the town? I haven't been here before."

" Sure! I'll show you the prestigious Pratham Palace! It's where the royal family lives. Traditionally this town belongs to Ranawats. You know, their Prince studies in-"

She paused as she saw Riva's unhappy expression. She felt tense sensation down her spine. Right! How could she be so stupid? Of course, Riva wouldn't want to hear about palaces or royals.

" I'm sorry?" Aditi offered with a sweet smile.

" Anything but royals." Riva said icily, "Not until I ask you."

" I wouldn't say anything! My lips are sealed." She pretended to zip her mouth shut and threw the key away. Riva's lips curled upwards into a soft smile. 

" We can go to Durga temple. Or do you want to see our college?" Aditi exclaimed.

P.S. This is what Hiraeth means : (n.) a homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost places of your past

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 5.7K 21
Shourya Singh Rajput... 33 year old elder son of the royal and the most powerful family in India. A ruthless CEO of Rajput industries. The most scar...
1M 53.6K 43
Complicated ! This is what describes the Rathore Royal Family and their Relationships ! And to make The matters worse The three Rathore Brothers are...
1.8M 22.2K 12
Two imperfectly perfect fell in love. Something happened and they drifted apart. What will happen when they cross each other's path again? Will Aradh...
18K 909 19
What will happen when a feisty and independent girl gets stuck in a place where people are after her life and are adamant on snatching her freedom, c...