Thorns of Roses

By dkrosi

"It all started with a masquerade ball.." A Miraculous Royal AU where Marinette is the daughter of King Gabri... More

Chapter 1 - A little description
Chapter 2 - Preparing
Chapter 3 - The Masquerade Ball
Chapter 4 - The Balcony
Chapter 5 - Girl Talk
Chapter 6 - Glass Shattering
Chapter 7 - Patrol
Chapter 8 - Dark Venus
Chapter 9 - Only Love Can Break The Spell
Chapter 10 - Kiss
Chapter 11 - Library
Chapter 12 - Unexpected Twist
Chapter 13 - I Decide!
Chapter 14 - Mysterious Visitor
Chapter 15 - Hopeless Reverie
Chapter 16 - Ladybug
Chapter 17 - Note From The Past
Chapter 18 - A Platonic Deal
Chapter 19 - Can We Stay Like This?
Chapter 20 - Empty Heart
Chapter 21 - Symphony In The Rain
Chapter 22 - Captured Feelings
Chapter 23 - "I Do" Arc: Part 1
Chapter 24 - I Do Arc: Part 2 - Season 1 Finale
Season 2: Chapter 25 - Where It All Began
Chapter 26 - "Mr And Mrs Graham"
Chapter 27: Wind Of Change
Chapter 28: Shadow King
Chapter 29 - Melody Of Despair
Chapter 30 - Fateful Encounter
Chapter 31 - Irreversible
Chapter 32 - Lonely Sunrise
Chapter 33 - You, Again?!
Chapter 35 - Chat Noir
Chapter 36 - The Darkest Night
Chapter 37: A True Princess
Chapter 38 - "My guardian angel"
Chapter 39 - The Autumn Ball
Chapter 40 - Give me a sign
Chapter 41 - A Subtle Feeling
Chapter 42 - Suffocating emotions
Chapter 43 - A Shoulder To Cry On
Special Part
Chapter 44 - My ex enemy
Chapter 45 - Another part of me
Chapter 46 - Obliviously Obvious
Chapter 47 - Drawn to You
Chapter 48 - Change of Heart (Part 1)
Chapter 49 - Change of Heart (Part 2)
Chapter 50 - Seeing The Light
Chapter 51 - A tempting condition
Chapter 52 - Fragile Promises
Chapter 53 - Shattered Harmony
Chapter 54 - The Wall Between Us
Chapter 55 - Stay With Me
Chapter 56 - A Step Forward
Chapter 57 - Enchanting Tunes
Chapter 58 - Duty Or Desire, That Is The Question
Chapter 59 - The Secret Temple
Chapter 60 - Whirlwind Of Feelings
Chapter 61 - It's you.
Chapter 62 - Roses are red... and so are you.
Chapter 63 - Everlasting Deception
Chapter 64 - Crimson Menace
Chapter 65 - Master Fu Arc 1: Trust Me.
Chapter 66 - Master Fu Arc 2: Destiny (Season 2 Finale)

Chapter 34 - Blind Emotions

3.6K 97 103
By dkrosi

"She's so insufferable sometimes!" Alya let out a frustrated sigh after she closed the door to Mari's room.

She had met with the Princess as she was about to leave the library in the morning and Mari immediately caught her and made her take a long - very long to say the least - walk before she would heading back to her old room.

Tikki had already informed Alya about what happened the night before, how Marinette was broken after the "second" breakup with Chat Noir. Knowing how much that idiot cat meant to the Princess and how much she loved him, Alya had already prepared herself for comforting her friend for hours - if needed. She knew Marinette would be depressed for the next couple of days and it would be Alya's responsibility to shake her up, to be there for her, to get her out of her pessimistic thoughts of a labyrinth, and to remind her about her duties that had to come first - no matter what was she going through right now.

But she had never expected to meet - instead of a broken, depressed Princess - a furious Marinette stepping out of the library.

She immediately grabbed Alya's hand the moment she spotted her walking across the corridor and - without any further explanation - she lead her out to the courtyard...

..where they had a quite extensive conversation about no other man than..

.. Félix.

Don't get her wrong, Alya - alongside Nino - loved seeing these two getting on each other nerves again and again. It was really entertaining to watch and hear about constantly - especially with having the belief that they were made for each other - which the pair was certain about.

But there were times when seeing their never-ending fights was just too tiring.

"At least, by the looks of it, she's doing better than how Tikki had told me." Alya thought.

Although she had already could imagine what was the Princess's problem with him again, she had never thought that this time something entirely different was going on.

The reason Marinette was about to have an outburst was because of the event that happened between her and the Prince in the library this morning. Apparently, Félix "wasn't himself" as the Princess implied. He was helpful and almost kind to her that she just couldn't comprehend as he had never acted like this with her before.

But the most unbelievable thing from the morning was that Félix did pay attention to her - noticing such irrelevant details as that silly habit of her when she tended to wear different colors of ribbons in her hair - depending on her current mood.

"Can you believe this, Alya??!" she had been asking this for the millionth time even after they headed back to the building and made their way to her old bedroom. "How...or rather, WHY does he know this about me?!" the Princess collapsed on her bed and buried her reddening face into her pillow.

"Mari, do you realize that your problem with him is that he was nice to you and, by the looks of it, even concerned about your wellbeing, right?!" Alya sighed, regretting her idea in the morning to search for the Princess. "Shouldn't you be happy knowing this? It means, he cares about you! Or at least," she added after seeing Mari's sarcastic gaze, "he doesn't want to kill you anymore!" she chuckled.

"Hahaha, hilarious.." Marinette imitated a laugh and sat up on her bed. "But Alya, this is indeed bad news! This means I have to be extra careful from now on! He can't find out that I'm Ladybug!" she declared - unintentionally touching her scarf after recalling their conversation back there.

"I see."Alya watched her suspiciously - immediately seeing through her friend." So your blushing face has nothing to do with this at all, I guess?" she added mischievously.

"I have no idea what you're talking about!" Mari coughed.

"Sure you don't have!" she grinned, enjoying the embarrassed look on the Princess. "Come on, you have to admit that you did find his concern appealing."

Her face immediately met with a huge pillow that the princess threw at her as a reply.

"Pfft. You're absolutely wrong, Alya!" Marinette exclaimed - trying to keep herself calm as she continued, "Just because he was "caring" for once, doesn't change the fact that he's a jerk! That he was the one who made my whole childhood miserable, who always embarrassed me in front of others and who always think low of me!" she crossed her arms defensively and shifted her gaze away from Alya's satisfied look." And he can act as nicely as he wants, it won't change anything! I'd still hate him!" she declared, immediately thinking about Chat Noir as the only man she could ever love. "Ironic," she thought, "that the only reason I can't be with him anymore is Félix."

"Anyway!.. ," Mari cleared her throat - desperately wanting to change the subject and forget about her issues with men or love itself. "I was looking through notes the whole morning - with no use of course - but I've been starting to think that mum's illness and this current situation with the rottings are caused by the same reason." the Princess said as she sat down at the edge of her bed.

"How so?" Alya frowned as she pulled out Sabine's diary from the drawer and gave it to Mari.

"My mum had also written about rottings - or something similar, in her diary. She wrote about trees dying, the leaves falling before autumn even could have started, and even buildings starting to crash. And that's why I'm starting to think that this is the same illness we have to face now as well." Marinette stated.

"Are you sure about this? "Alya frowned."If I remember well, she got sick during that time, along with you - to say the least. And you have no health issues now, nor the buildings are collapsing. "

"That's true.. "Marinette nodded hesitatingly. She knew Alya was right about this one as according to her mother, both she and Marinette had a  really strange illness during that time. Although Mari couldn't tell if it was true, her mum thought that the ominous things in Paris and their sickness were connected. Yes,  she wasn't sick now, but that didn't change the fact that these two events are awfully similar.

"Maybe I don't get affected because I'm Ladybug?" she spoke up after minutes of silence as they were deep in thoughts. "It's a possibility that the miraculous's powers are not only protecting me from injuries but also can save me from the effects of the virus."

"It can be the case but one thing is still not clear to me." Alya crossed her arms and stepped next to Mari as she continued, "Why is that only the two of you were ill? Why not everyone else as well? It just doesn't make any sense!"

"I..," the Princess started but froze, "I have no idea, Alya. I wish mother would have left me more clue!" she whispered with a sad smile painted on her face. "...or if our library wouldn't be that huge! There have to be some notes about the last illness, I just know it! But it's almost impossible to find anything in there! We have like a million books! It would take an eternity to get through all of them! And the last thing we have now is the time!" Mari whined.

"Well," Alya grinned at her as she leaned against the door, "maybe you just need someone to help you with the research!"

"Alya, it's nice of you but you know that I can't expect you to be in the library with me for hours. You have duties to fulfill too." Mari smiled as she added, "but thank you."

"Although it wouldn't be a problem for me and I'd gladly help you out girl," Alya shrugged, "But I wasn't talking about myself."

"Oh! Well...," Mari hesitated, "I doubt Captain Lahiffe would have time for this, especially since it doesn't even belong to his royal duties to help anyone with their research. He barely has free time even for you and I wouldn't get this away from with m.." Mari started, immediately thinking of millions of possibilities.

"Marinette, you're so dense sometimes!" Alya interjected, shaking her head in disbelief. "I wasn't talking about Nino either! And nope, it's not even your father nor your auntie," she added as she could clearly see the princess' thoughts.

"I was talking about a more suitable one for this role. Félix!" she smirked.

"WHAT?!" the Princess clenched her fists. "No way! There's absolutely no way that I'd ever cooperate with him! Just... NO!" she flailed her arms - making it extremely obvious to her friend how much she did not want to hear about this.

Seeing the frustratedly-flustered face on Mari was priceless for Alya. She loved teasing her, especially with this man.

"Look, I'm just saying it's only logical if you two work together on this." she shrugged innocently as she continued,  "since you and him both trying to find a solution to this problem. Wouldn't it be much easier and maybe - just maybe - more efficient if you two cooperate for once? Besides," she grabbed the door handle as she was about to leave, " he's your husband. Sooner or later, but you will have to spend more time together. If you know what I mean. "she winked at the Princess teasingly and exited the room before Mari could react to her words.

The moment Alya left, a pillow crashed against the door, following a scream that even could be heard in the hall as well.

Unbelieving that Alya really said these words, the Princess lay down on her bed and dig her face under her pillow - trying to cover her reddening face.

~~~

"She's just too blind sometimes!" Alya shook her head as she stepped away from Mari's door.

"Let me guess, the Princess is still stubborn as always?" a deep, charming voice startled her, and turning back in the voice's direction, she met with those dark brown eyes that always made her heart beat at an extremely high level.

"Exactly!" Alya chuckled, looking at Nino who leaned against the wall and stared at her with a wide smile. "No matter how hard I've tried, she doesn't want to admit the obvious! She is just so impossible to deal with sometimes!" she sighed in exhaustion.

"If it makes you feel better," Nino chuckled, "I'm going through the same thing. I've just got back from Félix's room as well. I don't know what these two did this time, but he had never been as tensed and irritated before as he was a couple of minutes ago. He was placing back and forth in the room, constantly murmuring things like "princess", "rottings", "master". I couldn't even understand a word." he shrugged - shaking his head as he continued," and then, like something popped into his head, he told me to leave him alone for the next couple of hours and he stepped out to his balcony. He couldn't even let me hear him out - nor even help him. " he sighed.

"I just don't understand why these two can't see how similar they are to each other in real life." Alya wondered.

"They are just too stubborn and incredibly dense when it comes to their feelings for each other. " Nino replied entertained as he stepped closer to Alya. "Not everyone is like us," he whispered and leaned to kiss her.

Alya's finger immediately touched his lips - stopped him, making him look at her with a confused look.

"What are you doing, silly? I know it's almost night but we still can get caught easily!" she forced back her blush.

"My deepest apologies, ma Chérie but you're just too irresistible," he whispered charmingly.

"And you're unbelievable!" Alya chuckled and grabbing the captain by his coat, she lead them into one of the abandoned chambers in the Palace.

Closing the door behind themselves, Alya crossed her arms and looked at him frustratedly.

"You have to be more careful, Nino! We almost got caught the last time as well!" she whispered. "You know it's all over once someone finds us out!"

"You know I can't resist myself around you," he smirked, leaning closer to her. "By the way.. You haven't answered my question yet." he inhaled into her ears which sent electricity through whole her body. An intense blush appeared on Alya's face as she stared into those mesmerizing, chocolate-brown eyes. Wrapping her arms around the captain's neck - she closed the left distance between them and placed her lips on his. She could feel how Nino's heart started to beat faster with her touch.

Letting out a chuckle, she pulled herself back a little to be able to look into his eyes as she whispered, "Is this an answer to your question?"

The moment these words left her lips, Nino grabbed her waist gently and pushed themselves against the door as his lips crushed into hers. "Yes.." he mumbled between the kisses he was placing on her rose-red lips.

Alya could feel how her whole body heated up as she was wrapping her fingers into his hair - desperate to pull him closer to her. Nino immediately lifted her into his arms - her legs crossed behind his back - as he deepened the kiss that sent shivers down on her spine. Her heart was beating fast, her ear pounded, her cheeks were red like roses that were lightened up by the sun. She let out a groan and closed her eyes when Nino's lips started to wander down around her neck. She grabbed his broad shoulders and tore his uniform down. Caressing her fingers through his back, she could feel his muscles that always drove her wild. As a reply, Nino's fingers wandered on her back, and - finding the corset - he started to untie it while deepening the kiss between them.

~~~

An hour later, they were both lying on a blanket on the floor. Alya - wearing Nino's shirt - caressed his bare chest with her fingers, her face placed on his shoulder.

Nino - playing with Alya's curly strands of hair - whispered, "Are you sure about this?" he asked worriedly. "You know what will happen if they find out. It will be over.. For the both of us."

Alya lifting her head - stared into his eyes as she answered, "I'll gladly take the risk." and placed a kiss on his lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile

The sun was already down, the stars started to show up in the sky - lightening up the whole city alongside the Moon. Night breeze got into the Princess's old suit - freshening up the air and shaking up a yawning Marinette.

Except for the long talk with Alya - and of course the morning in the library - she had been in her room the whole day, reading her mother's diary again and again until she knew all of Sabine's notes by heart. Mari even used a parchment paper - that she'd brought with herself in the morning - and wrote down her own observations.

"There are just too many coincidences!"  she kept saying this to herself as she reread Sabine's notes for the hundredth time - desperately wanting to find a hidden clue that she could miss before.

"When Mother got sick, almost at the same time the plants and trees started to die. Just like now. Although she didn't describe it as a " rotting" but it must have looked similar to this. But," she stopped - tapping the table with her fingers, "she mentioned that the garden lake alongside the River Seine are dried out. This isn't happening now. Or... It hasn't happened yet. But what if we're just at the beginning stage of this illness and the worst is still ahead of us??" she stared at the notes concerned.

"And why is this happening in the first place? What could cause it? And more importantly.. why?!"

So many questions with only a few answers. That was the biggest problem.

Despite the exhaustion she felt, Marinette grabbed the diary once again. She was about to reread it when she suddenly froze and looked in the direction of her balcony.

"Something is out there!" she said with wide eyes as rustling noises echoed from that direction. It sounded like someone was climbing on the floor with heavy breathing.

However, the noises suddenly stopped after a loud thud.

The Princess immediately raised from her chair - closing the diary in an instant - and went to the balcony's door. She could hear how her heart started to race. She had no idea what or rather...who could be out there.

As she pulled away the curtain and grabbed the door handle, she looked out the window. Only the moonlight could lighten up her balcony - besides the lights coming from her room but it was enough to see....

"It can't be!" Mari whispered as she opened the door.

A man was lying in front of her on the cold floor unconsciously. He was wearing a black dress that covered his whole body - including his face. Tears started to fall on her face when she spotted those cute cat ears that always made her heart beat faster. However, they were now lifeless just like the person who wore them.

He was full of bruises, his costume was torn in many parts and there was..

.. blood everywhere.

_______________________________________

A/N: Hi everyone! ♥️
First of all, thank you so so much for reading my story! Your kind comments and support mean the world to me! It really makes me happy to write a new chapter every week for you and to see how much you like it!

However, I've been thinking about it for a while and eventually came to the point that I have to change my update schedule.

I've recently got a job (I was studying at a Uni and finished it this summer) and because of it, I won't have as much free time as I used to have before.

Don't worry, I'll continue this story but I'll only update every two Sundays from now on!

Hope you all understand, and once again, thank you so much for reading my story! ♥️

Love you all! ♥️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.2K 1.3K 26
Ladybug and Chat Noir fight to retrieve the stolen Miraculouses from Monarch, and in the process, learn more about each other. Alternative Season 5
116K 3.1K 17
**Major credits to mariexhood for making this cover! Thank you so much, I really love it. Love you friendo.** This story was based on an idea from on...
227K 8.5K 71
Marinette is assigned to be Felix's secretary at the Agreste Inc. against both of their preferences. He's rude, inconsiderate, and worst of all, tryi...
300K 9.6K 37
Marinette has finally gotten everything shes ever wanted. She's working with her favorite fashion designer, Married to the love of her life, who also...