K A I R A

By itz_jerseyka

One of the few things Kairayochukwu wants at this point is to get done with secondary school and progress in... More

๏ฝ‰๏ฝŽ๏ฝ”๏ฝ’๏ฝ๏ฝ„๏ฝ•๏ฝƒ๏ฝ”๏ฝ‰๏ฝ๏ฝŽ
๏ผ๏ผ‘
๏ผ๏ผ“
๏ผ๏ผ”
๏ผ๏ผ•
๏ผ๏ผ–
๏ผ๏ผ—
๏ผ๏ผ˜
๏ผ๏ผ™
๏ผ‘๏ผ
๏ผ‘๏ผ‘
๏ผ‘๏ผ’
๏ผ‘๏ผ“
๏ผ‘๏ผ”
๏ผ‘๏ผ•
๏ผ‘๏ผ–
๏ผ‘๏ผ—
๏ผ‘๏ผ˜
๏ผ‘๏ผ™
๏ผ’๏ผ
๏ผ’๏ผ‘
๏ผ’๏ผ’
๏ผ’๏ผ“

๏ผ๏ผ’

148 35 24
By itz_jerseyka

As I was about taking my eyes off of the new guy, his met mine and a huge of lump of saliva gathered in my throat. Staring at people was weird to me especially when he or she stared back. I didn't know why but for some reason, I maintained eye contact with him, wondering what he would do next. His lips curved into a smile and his eyes had this teasing gleam in them. Unfortunately for me, he refused to break eye contact. So I did what I was meant to have done all along.

I broke the trance.

"I saw that, Kaira." Daniel pointed out with a smirk and I blinked. Once. Twice. Three good times. "I see you're already making a good impression."

I rolled my eyes. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Before Daniel could say anything else-thankfully-Amara said, "Omo! This guy is fine o."

"Yeah, like we can't see that." I noticed the envy in Daniel's voice.

"Don't worry, you'll always remain our fine boy." I teased, tapping his shoulder while he only hissed and returned his attention to our teachers at the front of the class.

"Can I please have a word with you?" Mr Odebode asked Miss Martha, walking further into the classroom while the new guy stood by the door post, black bag strapped to his broad shoulders.

Miss Martha took off her glasses entirely. "Sure. Anything the problem, sir?"

Hearing a teacher call a fellow teacher respectfully kind of puts me off. There's a considerable age gap between her and Mr Odebode though. So, it didn't sound too absurd.

"Not at all. I just need to have a quick word with you."

Beads of sweat rolled down Mr Odebode's forehead even with how well ventilated our class was. His blue shirt clung to some part of his torso and he displayed a sense of hurry. He turned to face the class, bowing his head a bit. "Please excuse us."

I watched our Physics teacher drop her glasses and teaching materials on the table before exiting with our Maths teacher and of course, Mr Smith as Mr Odebode had called him. As soon as both teachers left, it didn't take long for everyone to begin with the noise making, an asset students have.

"Do you think that guy's going to be our classmate?" Amara nudged me with her elbow, already stooped beside me. Ever the curious one, she is.

"Dumbo, isn't it obvious?"

"It doesn't call for insults, Kaira. Unless you want my Igbo insults to rain down on you?" Amara perked an eyebrow. "Do you want that?"

"Oh, please I'm scared. Like I'm not Igbo too."

"Doesn't mean you understand your language." She swayed her index finger before my eyes.

"I understand Igbo, Amarachukwu."

"Oh, sorry." She faked a cough. "You can't speak Igbo."

I made a mild attempt to push her away but she held my table.

"Go away, you pest."

Shameful, I know. Growing up in a city where the main languages being spoken are English, Yoruba, and Pidgin, I was left without any other option but to learn all three. My Yoruba still needs a lot of work though. Lagos and my parents sure didn't help me in knowing how to speak my mother tongue.

The little Igbo I knew was grounded into me whenever I visited my grandparents in the south eastern part of Nigeria in the village.

Amara suddenly found the floor better to look at as she lowered her head. "Forgive me. I didn't mean for it to hurt you."

"Nsogbụ adịghị (no problem)." I smiled.

"Wahala (problem)."

"Instead of you to say that I tried." I rolled my eyes. Though in a playful way.

With a mocking tone she said, "Sorry, you tried." Her pitch increased even further. "Bravo! Excellent! Superb!"

I couldn't help laughing.

"Asshole."

"Resorting to English too soon, aren't we?" She arched her eyebrows.

I lifted my shoulders in a shrug. "Couldn't help it."

Taking a quick glance at the centre of the classroom, I noticed Mr Odebode and Miss Martha had already finished their private conversation. With Mr Odebode already out of the class, the new dude stood beside Miss Martha, hands carefully inserted in his pockets, as she opened her mouth to speak.

"So, class, as Mr Odebode told me, we have a new student in our midst." She began, using her hands to refer to the new dude. "Do very well to welcome him into this great school."

"Welcome!" A random voice, whom I recognized to be Folashade's, was the only sound needed to make my classmates lift their hands in a thunderous applause.

"Wow, he is going to be in our class." Amara said and I looked at her. She seemed happy.

"Yeah."

She frowned. "Why aren't you saying more? I expected you to make some notes on his looks and how they relate to some of the novels we've read. Like, Noel from A Million Heartbeats. That mixed guy with his charmingness-is that even a word? Meh, even if."

"I know him already." I sunk into my seat, lowering my head to rest it on my physics textbook.

"What?"

She shifted closer and we ended up having half of our butts acquiring the little space provided by my chair.

"I mean we talked for like a brief moment." I clarified. "Besides, what a fat bumbum you have."

"Forget that. Elaborate. Now."

"You know I came late, right?" I shifted, still adjusting in my seat.

"Yeah, go on."

"In the hallway, not too far from the door of our class, I stopped after dashing up the stairs and I saw him there. I kinda-"

"Don't tell me you embarrassed yourself." She facepalmed herself.

"I kinda did."

She sighed and wrapped her arm around and said, "Aw, my baby. It's okay."

"So, that's enough class." Miss Martha clapped, bringing our conversations to a halt. Looking at the new guy, she continued, "Do well to introduce yourself, dear."

Dear? Wow.

He stepped forward, removing his hands from his pockets. He made sure to look around and I watched him take in a deep breath. "Er, so hi, everyone. I'm Nathan O. Smith and I'm from Lagos State. My hobbies are playing soccer-football-basketball, volleyball; listening to pop music, and reading books. I hope I'll feel welcome here and nice to meet you all."

"I won't lie, he seems cool." Amara whispered.

I whispered back. "Yeah."

"Sounds like a foreign kid."

"Now that I think of it, he does." I nodded, facing her.

"Can I sit here?"

The new guy's-Nathan's-voice startled me as I nearly jolted. How did he get here so fast and why the heck did he choose this place?

Still trying to find my own voice, I only managed to say, "Em..."

"Why are you wasting time thinking?" Amara suddenly spoke. "It's not like anyone else is going to stay there." She looked at Nathan, nodding her head. "Of course, you can sit there, Nate."

Nate? Already?

"Thanks." The corners of his lips lifted to form a smile. Why did the smile look so practised? "Oh and I might end up bothering you guys since I'm new here and I need to catch up on things as fast as I can." He took quick glances at me and I couldn't help recalling how I had met him in the hallway.

Thanks, destiny.

"I..." Again, my voice was nowhere to be found.

"No worries. Fine by us. You came to the best place ever existing." Amara pinched me from underneath my desk perhaps because I've been made temporarily dumb.

"I like you already." Nathan told Amara, making her chuckle.

Of course. Perfect, new guy. Just perfect.

Daniel turned where he sat with narrowed eyes. "And so does the rest of us here. We like her. We adore her. We all love her."

I stifled a laugh, finally finding my voice. "Daniel, chill."

Kaira, chill.

"Oh, shit. Dude, I didn't know you two were...I'm sorry."

"There's no reason to apologize actually." Daniel shook his head.

"So, are we cool?"

"We're cool." Daniel nodded.

This chapter came late but I hope it's worth the wait (ꏿ﹏ꏿ;)

{My words didn't rhyme ;) Or did it?}

• VOTE |•| COMMENT |•| SHARE •

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 4.8K 36
{A Nigerian Themed Novel๐Ÿ˜˜} "You can't leave cause I have feelings for you!" I scream without thinking. My eyes widen and I draw my hands over my mo...
15.4K 2.5K 30
"You know you are not getting any younger. You need to settle down for God's sake. Your sisters are all tied down to their men but yet here you are w...
34K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...
16.6K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...