i am here! [KnB FanFic, KagaK...

By MoxiePoxy

.:Winner of @WinterRaineeDay 's KnB Canon Pairing Contest Multi-Chapter Entries:. What do you do when you're... More

Diary 1 - A Shadow Among The Light
Diary 2 - You Noticed Me
Diary 4 - I Like You
Diary 5 - Wanting To Run Away
Diary 6 - In The Darkness
[Final] Diary 7 - I'm Right Here

Diary 3 - Stepping Out Can Be Scary

568 37 18
By MoxiePoxy

Diary 3 - Stepping Out Can Be Scary

"I've been watching you... for a long time."

Kuroko stared wide-eyed as Kagami sat with her now - how they got to sitting on the floor she didn't know. Kuroko still sniffed and Kagami just kept staring at her, his face flushed as red as his hair.

He started scratching at his head again. "Uh, sorry... Guess that wasn't really the best time to tell you, uh..." He looked away, suddenly becoming flustered.

Kuroko looked down then, and brought a hand up to rub at her watery eyes. She couldn't believe she was actually crying - and in front of Kagami!

"But, I really wanted you to know so..." Kagami offered Kuroko a towel that had his initials on it - a gift from Kise because the model liked spoiling the team.

"Oh, th-thank you." Kuroko murmured, and wiped at her face. She couldn't do anything about her red, puffy eyes so she just made herself look as presentable as she possibly could.

"No problem." Kagami smiled and offered a hand to help her up.

They walked out together and Kuroko hadn't realized it was already dark - she was glad she had already seen Nigou earlier and taken care of him.

"It's late, should I walk you home?" Kagami rumbled beside her, and she looked at him, surprised and still using the towel he gave her.

Perhaps Kagami was more of a gentleman than she originally thought. But this was something that she grew flustered over.

"I don't want to trouble you..." she trailed off, looking away.

Kagami scoffed, shrugging and wearing a grin. "Hey, I did offer. It's no problem. So?" He gestured for the street that would lead away from the school.

Kuroko decided to take him up on his offer, although incredibly awkward and nervous, she nodded her head and began the path to her house.

Along the way, to help make things less awkward, Kuroko asked him how he was doing with basketball club and that got the ace to talking enthusiastically. The light blunette was content with smiling to herself and listening to Kagami talk about the club. She could tell easily how much he loved it, how much of his entire being was into basketball and she admired that.

During the walk she admitted to playing basketball a bit in elementary but after being forgotten so much during practice, she decided not to play it. Kagami had frowned and looked particularly upset at that, grumbling something about how he would have played with her and not forgotten about her. She laughed quietly, and their moods turned higher.

"Well thank you for walking me, Kagami-kun." Kuroko told him as they stopped at her house.

"Yeah, no problem." He smiled easily, awkwardly shifting his feet. "I guess I'll... see you tomorrow?"

He looked hopeful, and Kuroko nodded with a small smile. "Yes, please be careful on your way home. And... thank you again."

He just smiled, and Kuroko watched him walk back down the street.

Feeling strangely giddy, she went into the house and didn't bother calling out to her parents - she was sure they were busy or asleep.

Kuroko couldn't believe it! Once she was in her room, she instantly blogged.

That popular guy from before? He said he's been watching me and has noticed me for a while now! -Shadow

She felt so happy that she held the phone to her chest. She then decided to clean the towel Kagami lended her.

She felt the familiar buzzing of notifications and looked at her phone.

Hey that's awesome Shadow-chan!! -Cute Copycat

That's good. I'm happy for you. -Tiger Light

Kuroko smiled and then set about her task of cleaning Kagami's towel. She wanted to return it to him tomorrow. Maybe get to school early enough before basketball practice starts?

She nodded to herself, yes, that's what she would do.

. * . * . * .

It was so early when Kuroko set off that her father hadn't even left for work yet.

"Good morning, Dad." Kuroko greeted him as he came into the kitchen carrying a coffee mug.

"Good morning." He responded in a deep, monotone voice. Her father had short black hair and dark eyes... A contrast to her and her mother's looks although she always seemed to act like her father more in terms of quirks and personality.

"I'll be leaving early for school today... I hope you have a good day today." Kuroko responded in the thick silence. Normally silence was never an issue with her and her father, as they were used to it, but now it grew heavy and awkward between them.

"Yes, I hope you do too." He said and went back to the living room and Kuroko watched him go, her mood somber.

Her and her father used to be so close... They could talk about anything and it would never be awkward between them. Her parents would always ask her how her day went at school, and if something was out of the ordinary (like going to school early), then they would be worried and ask about it.

Now it was like... they just didn't care. And that hurt Kuroko a lot, she wished she knew how to fix whatever was broken between them all.

She set out for school after fixing a small meal for herself, intent on checking on Nigou first and then going by the school's gym.

Tending to the puppy took longer than expected and she got to the gym as practice was almost over.

"Oh wow, so dreamy!"

"They really work out, huh?"

Those were excited whispers from the multitude of fangirls from her class and other classes and grades. Anyone who was a fan of the basketball team stood crowding around the large doors to see the players as they practiced on the court.

The light bluenette stood to the sidelines a bit once she made it into the gymnasium. She was short and small and didn't feel like braving the crowd just to see the teens playing better. Kuroko clutched the towel in her hands and gripped it when she suddenly saw Kagami jump and do a lane-up.

Girls squealed as he dunked the ball and some clapped but Kuroko just stood there amazed and awestruck.

She started watching more of the practice game, amazed at how much effort each team member put in to winning the game. Not only that, but they were team-driven and watched carefully by the second-year coach, Aida Riko. Kuroko knew her to be an admirable senpai, although she's never gotten the chance to actually speak with her.

When the practice game was done, she still stood there and watched as the players went off to either clean up or talk with the girls that hadn't ran off already.

Kuroko's eyes found Kagami as the muscular boy drunk from his water bottle. She blushed slightly as she looked away from seeing his sweaty form, but that's when he looked up and noticed her.

A wry grin broke across his face, but before he could go to her, another girl approached him.

"Kagami-kun, you sure worked hard today! You're all sweaty so here, take this." The black-haired girl sweetly offered the towel to him and Kagami nervously scratched his head.

"Thank you, but, someone just brought mine to me so if you'll excuse me..." Kagami quickly ran toward where the familiar girl stood, leaving the other and her face fell. "Kuroko!"

When Kagami shouted, Kuroko looked up to see the grinning teen running up to her and then stopping before her. "Kagami-kun..." Was all Kuroko could say as she looked at his out-of-breath form.

"I didn't know you would come by here, so what's up? You brought my towel?" Kagami looked at the neatly pressed towel and Kuroko handed it to him with a nod - unaware of the dark stares from the small crowd of girls directed at her.

"Yes, I wanted to return it and thank you for lending it to me..."

"Hey, who is that?"

"Isn't she the girl that was seen with Kagami-kun last night? Walking outside the school with him?"

"What?! And now she's got his towel?! Just who does she think she is?"

Now the whispers and stares were getting to her and Kuroko fidgeted. She's never had this much attention on her before...

"Hey, it's no problem. See ya in class?" Kagami asked after wiping his face off, appreciating the new smell coming from the towel after Kuroko washed it.

"Y-Yes. Excuse me!" Kuroko spoke hastily and then she ran out of the gym, unable to keep under that harsh gaze of all of those girls.

She breathed harshly as she stopped at her locker. It had been... scary.

That was the first time something like that had ever happened.

-

Kuroko made it to class like normal and saw the three girls from yesterday standing around her desk, talking like usual.

"Um, excuse me..." She went to say as she tried to get around to her desk but then one of the girls stepped back on her and freaked out.

"Kokoro-chan?! Whaa! If you're here then say something!"

"But I did... And it's Kuroko-chan..."

"You always pop up out of nowhere!"

"And you left without saying anything yesterday!" This time it was Yuki who said something, looking worried.

"About that..." Kuroko started to explain what happened but didn't get the chance to as the girls were already distracted into talking on their fun night they had.

"Which reminds me, wasn't karaoke soooo fun yesterday?"

"Oh my God! And that person in the other room..." The girl snorted in her laughter.

"We should go again!"

"Um..." Kuroko tried to get into the conversation but it was like there was a wall between her and them.

"Yeah! It would be fun! Maybe we can see if Kise-kun wants to go...?"

"Ooooh, yeah! He really likes karaoke!"

Kuroko just listened as her shoulders slumped, but then she heard her other classmates calling out to Kagami and Kise as they entered.

Kuroko's light blue eyes instantly found the two boys walking in and looked at Kagami as he smiled to the guys who talked to him.

As if feeling her gaze, the dark redhead looked up and caught her gaze and Kuroko looked down, embarrassed for staring.

She chanced a peek at him, and when she did, he grinned at her and she felt her heart do serious palpitations.

Kagami was really nice... And she smiled where she sat, listening to the others around her.

There's someone in this classroom... in this school... who knows about me. Kuroko sniffed lightly. And that makes me happy... Really happy.

. * . * . * .

I can't believe the boy is so nice to me! He smiles and greets me unlike the rest... It makes me really happy that he's been watching me all this time. :) -Shadow

It shocks even me. Kuroko thought as she tidied up her room. Tutoring Kagami went like before, even better in fact since they talked more. It made her so giddy!

In fact, if he says he has been watching you and is so nice to you as you say, then he must like you. How ignorant can you be? -Lucky Rabbit

What? Like me...?

Ooooh, I think he has feelings for you Shadow-chan! ♥ -Cute Copycat

Kuroko blinked, in shock. There's no way!

You're right... If he didn't like you, then why would he be watching you? -Tiger Light

She supposed it was true... After all, no one ever noticed her and it seemed like her and Kagami met easily and started talking and he said he had noticed her for a while now...

But why would someone like Kagami Taiga be watching her? Just what kind of person was he really?

-

The squeak of shoes against the court could be heard outside the gym... Kuroko wasn't sure what she was doing here really. It was after school now and she was just about to head home when she had the urge to come here and see Kagami...

The way he moved on the court was truly amazing, it was even hard for Kise - the other ace - to keep up with him. His facial expression was something Kuroko absorbed. How focused he was when having the ball, and then when his team made a shot - the happy smile that lit his features made her heart pound more in her chest.

Kagami didn't come around Nigou that much, but he always met her for their tutoring sessions and made a habit of talking to her when he could.

She watched as the practice game ended and Kagami's face was red from exertion... Kuroko remembered how his face would turn red when around her sometimes...

It means he likes you! She remembered Rabbit's words and shook her head, her long strands of light blue hitting her in the face lightly by the force.

She was just about to turn and quietly leave when Kagami noticed her.

"Hey, Kuroko!" And then the grinning ace was running to her while the girls that wanted to talk to Kagami looked confused. "Did you come to see me?"

"Uh, er, um..." Kuroko was at a loss for words, and Kagami grinned - and Kuroko could swear she became blinded by the light of it for a second or two.

"Kagami-kun? Who's that girl?" The girls were still there, and all of them were looking at her.

"Wait a second... Isn't that the girl from the other day? The one walking with Kagami-kun outside the school?"

Suddenly they were shouting at her.

"What... what does that mean?! Why would you be with Kagami-kun at night?"

Kuroko went to open her mouth, shocked stiff, but nothing came out.

"What! You can't say why?"

"What did you do to Kagami!?"

Kuroko was scared, her eyes taking in the hateful looks directed at her. Her hands were shaking slightly, and she didn't know what to say or what to do.

"I-I'm sorry..." Her voice was too quiet.

"Why don't you just tell us!"

It was becoming too much, she wanted to just shrivel up and disappear.

"It was nothing."

Suddenly, a new voice entered and Kuroko turned to the sound, noticing past Kagami's dumbfounded expression.

"Kise-kun!" A girl shouted, and it was true.

The blond popular boy was standing there, wearing a strange serious expression as he walked closer.

"Why are you causing such a fuss, Kagamicchi?" Suddenly Kise turned cheerful as he threw an arm around the taller male's shoulders, causing Kagami to duck down. "Why don't you give the ladies' the truth?"

"What..." Before Kagami could think to respond or help Kuroko, Kise was already talking again - this time moving to wrap an arm around Kuroko instead.

"You see, this girl got stuck in the gym storage..." He held her close, and Kuroko grew flustered at the close contact. "...And Kagamicchi just happened to find her and help her out!"

"What...? Is that true?" One of the girls questioned.

Kise nodded. "Totally! I mean, we all know how nice a guy Kagamicchi really is, right?"

What the blond ace said next crushed Kuroko inside.

"He just can't resist helping... a poor girl like this."

"Kise! What are you say-" Kagami looked mad, but Kise stopped him by inconspicuously putting a finger to his lips.

Kuroko didn't see any of it, she didn't see much of anything really.

"So there's nothing between them?"

"Yeah, there couldn't be, could there?" The group of girls talked, lessening their harsh gaze on Kuroko.

"I mean, look at how plain she is. You barely notice her."

It was... just pity. Kuroko looked down. "Kagami-kun, thank you for before. I'm sorry for bothering you." She offered a small smile that hurt her to make.

She walked at a fast pace away from there, unable to hold her head up any longer.

. * . * . * .

And I thought that just once... the sun was shining on me. Kuroko stood all alone in the dark. But now I'm here... back in the shadows.

"Everyone settle down!" The teacher called out. "I'm taking attendance. Let me know if anyone's not here."

"Wait... who sits there again?" A girl noticed the empty seat behind Kagami.

"Uh... I forgot. Shouldn't matter anyway..." A boy told her, and they forgot about it and Kagami frowned.

-

Kuroko sighed as she sat outside, watching Nigou play with a ball she had gotten him.

"I bet class has started... but I don't want to go in." Kuroko murmured as Nigou came to her, the puppy cutely tilted his head as if in worry and question.

Kuroko smiled sadly at him and started petting him. "Nobody will notice if I don't go in anyway." The dark thoughts made her heart heavy in her chest and she didn't know how to get rid of this weight.

She looked at nothing as she remembered how nice Kagami was to her... How he smiled at her and remembered her name. How he seemed to always notice her and greet her in the mornings when no one else did. How he said I've been watching you, and how it had uplifted her so much...

Nobody's ever said something like that to me before... It made me really happy. She looked up at the blue sky filled with large clouds. It was like he was saying... "You're not alone." ... "You're just fine the way you are."

Before she realized it, she could feel the warm prickling sensation in her eyes as tears brimmed and threatened to fall. She tried to focus on Nigou chasing after the ball but the a tall shadow was cast from behind her and she turned instantly to see Kagami standing there.

Her breath caught as their eyes met and she realized he was out of breath, had he been running here?

"I'm glad, you're here." He panted, still looking at her as if she would disappear.

"Kagami-kun what..." she murmured in astonishment before she remembered those words that broke her. He can't resist helping a poor girl like that...

Kuroko instantly got up and started pushing Kagami away. "Please do not worry about me. You should go back to class."

"What?" Kagami was the shocked one now as he held his ground and Kuroko tried feebly to push him back.

"You're so popular... Everyone likes you!" Kuroko didn't know why she was suddenly shouting now, but she was. "But me... Nobody even notices when I'm gone!" So don't... Don't pity me anymore!

Kagami halted entirely, grasping her firmly by the shoulders. "When you're not around, I notice!" His voice was raised and it cut through Kuroko and made her stop.

What... She looked up at him, and his red eyes were fierce and his expression serious.

"I haven't been watching you because I feel sorry for you. That's not what I meant when I told you that." He seemed to lean even closer, a faint red dusting his cheeks. "What I meant was... I really like you." The sun shone on them then, coming out from behind a large cloud.

"I've been watching you... because I like you, Kuroko."

. * . * . * .

Remember to vote for this on Rainee-chun's voting book if you enjoyed~!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.9K 2.2K 41
I can't get the image of a beaten Tetsuya out of my mind. Could he be bullied? No it can't be, he's practically invisible... But there is no other e...
34.3K 1.2K 17
Kuroko Tetsuya has a painful past. Even if he keeps running away it will chase him. Will he be able to surpass it? Kagami Taiga can't forget the past...
69.8K 1.1K 21
This story is based on the knb anime. But I changed the character gender. Kuroko is a girl in this story. Hope you like it. A girl ente...
12.3K 463 38
"I'm an idiot. As Kakucho's best friend, I'm ashamed of myself for feeling like this towards you. Why does it hurt me so much? Can't you see, I'm sel...