Lost but Loved

By Gifted_Fire

Lucy Miller is a strange girl. A Lady unlike any other. She wishes to be a warrior maiden, unmarried. What ha... More

Chapter One: Brian is Back
Chapter Two: Cayden is a Nice Boy
Chapter Three: Fit to Date Royality
Chapter Four: Horse Rides and Boys
Chapter Five:The Meaning of a Man
Chapter Six: Lucy or Luke
Chapter Seven: Love and Pain Are a Package Deal
Chapter Eight: Meeting Sophie and Planning Revenge
Chapter Nine: Knight Marcus
Chapter Ten: Farewell Banquet
Chapter Eleven: Traveling to Stancely Part One
Chapter Twelve: Traveling to Stancely Part Two
Chapter Thirteen: The Life of a Farmer
Chapter Fourteen: Never Gonna Take Me (Pride)
Chapter Fifteen: Traveling Again
Chapter Sixteen: Princess Jane
Chapter Seventeen: The Veteran
Chapter Eighteen: Bitterness in the Air
Chapter Nineteen: A Royal Guest
Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty One: The Wedding Night
Chapter Twenty Three: Revealing the Truth
Chapter Twenty Four: The Brothers
Chapter Twenty Five: A Match

Chapter Twenty Two: The Fight

9 0 0
By Gifted_Fire

Jasmine woke and the birds chirped. She bathed and dressed in a dark blue gown, her grief deep this day. She found she could not smile, or think happy thoughts. All she saw was Lucy's head in the basket, dark blue eyes gazing blankly at them. She shook her head.

She took hold of her skirts and walked briskly down the corridor. She stopped in front of a courtyard where yells were coming from. She peeked around the corner to see Andrew, in full body armor, fighting Trace, who only wore a helmet. As Jasmine kept watching, Trace didn't need any armor, only Andrew did. Andrew was poor at combat, and had always been. Trace hacked and slashed repeatedly, tiring Andrew out quickly. Jasmine watched as Andrew threw his sword on the ground and used both arms to hold up his shield.

Trace grinned and hit Andrew hard on his helmet. Andrew crumpled and Trace threw his sword down. "Never throw away your weapon. You have no way to block a blow."

Andrew sat up, his face red and sweaty. "You were beating me up! I could have beaten you, easily."

"Fine," Trace said, turned on his heels and threw up his arms. "Fight me." He turned back around, a few paces away from Andrew. The servant grabbed a shield. "I bet you a shilling that I can knock you out with only a shield."

"Alright. I accept this bet. You have a gambling issue, my friend?" Andrew stood and took a stance, his sword now in hand again.

"Nope." Trace took his stance, with a wink towards Jasmine. She thought that she was hidden, but Trace had noticed her. With a yell, Andrew ran towards Trace. He slashed down but Trace blocked. Andrew stepped back, getting ready to swing. Trace side stepped, and because the blow was low, raised his shield and brought it down hard on Andrew's head. Andrew again crumpled to the ground.

"Lords," Trace huffed. "They are all the same. Think that servants can't fight." He picked up the lord's purse and took out a coin. He tossed it in the air and caught it. His eyes focused on something near to Jasmine, then he smiled. Jasmine looked around herself to find the three wolves behind her, sitting in the corridor.

He walked to Jasmine and bowed. "Good morn, my princess. How are you?"

"I am fine." He stared at her, eyes slightly narrowed, as if he didn't believe her. "Truly, I say, I am fine," Jasmine repeated. She bent down and petted Lucy. "How is my friend?"

"Are you talking to me or the wolf?" Trace joked. Jasmine glanced up at him and he chuckled. "Of course, I know, Jasmine. I am well. I have been getting stronger, getting ready to fight Black Shadow. But I have also grown weak. Without Lucy around, it is not the same. I miss her, as I know you do." Trace took Jasmine's hand and squeezed it. "Lucy was dear to us, but we've lost her. It hurts."

"What do you think you're playing?" Andrew's red face appeared by Jasmine's side. Trace let go of her hand and grinned at the lord.

"I am playing a game. Life, is a game that we all play, is it not?"

"No, you cheated! You're just a dumb pig."

"I did no such thing, my lord. I fought fairly, as I should."

"Fairly?" the lord spluttered. "Fairly? Who taught you to fight? You cheated."

A wrinkled hand landed on Lord Andrew's shoulder. Andrew jumped and turned to see an old man, wrinkled skin, yet still strong and broad in the shoulders. His dark green eyes twinkled with mirth and his mouth had only half his teeth. His nose was bent at a weird angle from having it broke so many times.

"I git 'em trained good and well, then they go off to some other lord or kingdom or war. But this un," the man's hand went to Trace's shoulder. "This un, stayed. And Imma proud of 'im. Trained good and hard. Strong, young lad. And a fair fighter if I ever knew un."

Lord Andrew sneered. "You must not know him well, then. He cheated."

"I fought fair, Master John. I bet him that I could knock him out using just a shield." Master John burst out laughing and held his gut. Trace turned to Lord Andrew. "If you knew me, you'd have known then that I could definitely do it."

"Trace can knock you out with a stalk of wheat!" Master John stood straight and smiled. "Well, my princess, I must git to my new trainees. None of 'em are as good as this lad right here." He clapped Trace on the back and made his way out to the courtyard where five young men had lined up. They wore no armor, and had wooden toy swords like those that young boys played with.

Maelgwn stood and nuzzled Jasmine in the thigh and whined softly. "Trace, would you join me for the morning meal?"

Trace grinned, with a wink towards Lord Andrew. "Of course, my princess." He bowed then held out his arm. Jasmine took it and they walked down the corridor to the royal dining room. Trace pulled out a chair for Jasmine, and disappeared. Lord Andrew sat in a chair by Jasmine. He opened his mouth to talk when Jayce walked in with Damon, laughing.

"Ah, Jasmine!" Jayce grabbed her shoulders from behind and laughed. "How are you? Today will be good!" He kissed her cheek and sat down at the other side of the table.

Damon smiled brightly and said slowly and carefully, "Good morning, Jasmine. How are you?"

"Oh, Damon! Good job. I am fine. How are you?" Jasmine replied, slowly too so to give him time to think.

"I am good." Jasmine smiled. He was learning. Lucy would be proud. "I am thinking today will be..." He closed his eyes, searching for the right word. "Delightful." He opened his eyes and smiled sheepishly, hoping it was right.

"Good, good. Jayce, have you seen Trace fight ever?"

"Well, he cheats at it, don't bet against him." Lord Andrew pouted.

Jayce guessed what had happened and smiled at his sister. In French, he said, "Lord Andrew is jealous, or a poor sport. Not a good match."

Jasmine smiled. "I agree, brother," she answered back in the same tongue. "Well," she switched back and clapped her hands. "Breakfast will be served soon, I hope."

Trace entered the room, with two other servants, and placed the food on the table. They disappeared and the children began eating. Trace came in, with three big hunks of raw meat in his hands. "Maelgwn, Alec, Lucy! Meal time!"

Maelgwn and Alec came in the room barking and jumping up on Trace to get the meat. Lucy came more timidly, not sure why the others were running. She smelt the meat and licked her chops. Trace threw a piece at them all and they went to separate areas of the room and ate.

"Trace, give them some ale, too," Jayce suggested. Trace nodded, disappeared and came back with a big bowl filled with ale. "Thank you."

Lucy raced to the bowl of ale and drank heavily, lapping it up. She didn't let Maelgwn or Alec have any until it was almost dry. "I think we named her right. She's got the taste of our Lucy," Jayce chuckled.

"Why are you giving wild animals your best meats and ale?" Lord Andrew asked.

"There is a story of someone important in our life that I need to tell you about." Jasmine turned in her seat and placed her fork on the table. "Recently, Knight Marcus has brought here his niece, Lady Lucy of Fallor, Tamer of Wolves, Thrower of Knives, and Giver to the poor. She is beautiful, smart, dangerous, fierce and fun loving. She was strong, and an excellent fighter.

"But a few days ago, she was possessed by a strange being." Jasmine looked to Trace to explain more about that.

"The being is called a Black Shadow. They haunt humans until they go mad and take their lives."

"Yes, and Lucy," Jasmine continued, "Was fighting this creature, but she never told anyone. Black Shadow made her kill her best friend, Jane, who was Jayce's bride, and recently made wife. Lucy killed Jane on their wedding night. Following the laws, we beheaded Lucy." Jasmine paused, Lucy's head in the basket filling her mind. "Lucy was a dear friend, and now she is gone. These are her wolves, the very ones she tamed. Maelgwn, prince of wolves, and Alec, the red pup. Lucy always gave them beer and sometimes wine. They love it."

"I see. And this new wolf, is named after her." Lord Andrew nodded, understanding now. "This wolf reminds you of your friend. Well, Jasmine, I am deeply sorry for your loss."

"We all miss her," Trace growled. The wolf Lucy growled also. King Henry and Queen Ruby entered, both petted the wolves and sat down.

"Good morning, friends." Ruby smiled and filled her plate. Her black hair was curly as always. She seemed chipper and Jasmine found herself wondering why she thought today was going to be terrible. Everyone else was happy. "I feel something a-brewing in the air, no?" Ruby smiled.

King Henry nodded as he grabbed a huge slab of pork. "I feel it too, Ruby. Something magnificent will happen today. I feel it."

"Good. We need a good thing to happen to us," the crown prince announced, his smile fading slightly. "Trace, are you strong enough yet?"

Trace bowed. "I believe I am. I will try to fight him today. I will lead him into the forest, where we will have our battle. God be with me," Trace grinned, and the air around him gave a snap and a fizz.

King Henry asked, "Are you afraid?"

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't. I am afraid, because no one has been able to beat Black Shadow. And if I fail, there will be many more people besides Jane, Lucy and I that will fall due to his hands. I can not afford to fail. I am afraid. I am scared. I am frightened. But I am brave. I am courageous. I am proud. I am strong."

Everyone smiled and sat up straighter, feeling empowered by his speech. Damon wished that he knew what the man had said, so that he could feel better too. They all finished their breakfast, mostly silent for the remaining time. Henry stood, and Jayce stood also.

"I want to go to the fighting courtyard. I wish to practice my skills."

"I will join you, Henry," Jayce piped up. "Maybe we could practice against each other. What say you?"

Henry grinned, showing his long fangs. "Aye, I say!" He clapped Jayce on the back. "Who will watch?"

Jasmine smiled and stood. "I will."

"Maybe I could even practice with you," Ruby suggested. "I've been wanting to fight Henry." She narrowed her eyes at him, and everyone laughed, a nervous edge on the laugh. Their rivalry was clear in their eyes and posture. "Let us go, and watch, Jasmine." She walked around the table and held out her arm. Jasmine took it and the four of them walked out.

"Come, wolves." Trace called them and followed the others out. "Come, King Damon," Trace yelled over his shoulder, using his magic to speak with him. Damon jumped up with a grin and rushed out, leaving Lord Andrew to himself. With a sigh, he got up from his chair and unhappily followed Trace and Damon to the fighting courtyard.

The girls sat on a bench on the far wall. Everyone who had been training stood against the wall next to them, to watch. Henry and Jayce already had their swords and shields, and circled each other. The wolves sat calmly at Trace's feet, Damon squatted and watched with thoughtful eyes. Lord Andrew huffed and his beady eyes studied everyone.

"Go!" Master John shouted and Henry and Jayce rushed at each other, and slashed and blocked. They circled, making blows and blocking them. They hacked and slashed, stabbed and thrust. Their footwork was elegant and light, making them better fighters. Fighters with a heavy stance and footwork couldn't move as easily.

"Jayce! Watch your left flank! Henry, your sword hand is being too heavy! Lighten your feet! Lighten your feet! You are dancing!" Master John yelled out helpful hints to both of them, his rosy cheeks getting extra rosy with the excitement. "Lighten yer feet, goddammit!" Master John took off his shoe and threw it at Jayce.

Jayce and Henry stopped. "Why did you throw this shoe at me?" Jayce picked up the shoe and stared at Master John. "Who does it belong to?"

"Lighten yer feet!" Master John walked forward and snatched his shoe from him. "Don't stop. Would your enemy have stopped in battle? I do not think so."

Master John grumbled some more and put on his shoe. Jayce shrugged and they began fighting again. They fought for awhile, until they had a short break. Ruby jumped up, her mace in hands, a helmet by her side. "Is it time for me to fight Henry?" She gave an innocent smile. Jayce waved for her to go and sat next to his sister. Ruby put her helmet on.

"A mace?"

"Yes. It's my weapon of choice." She swung it and nicked Henry's arm. He growled and slashed back. She was strong, and swung the mace hard. Henry mostly used defense, blocking her strikes. "I am a offense fighter. Quick to strike," she said between attacks. "Good, aren't I?"

She stopped, and leaned on her mace staff. "It was a pleasure, King Henry." She put her mace against the wall, along with her shield and helmet, and sat next to Jasmine, kicking Jayce off.

"Are we to fight again?" Jayce asked Henry.

"I'll fight you, Jayce!" Lord Andrew stepped forward and Jasmine hid her face, telling Ruby, "Please stop him. This is a nightmare." Lord Andrew picked up a sword. "I'll fight you, Prince."

"Fine by me. I heard you were easy to beat so this should be easy," Jayce teased, with a smirk at Henry. Henry left, sneering at Lord Andrew, knowing he was afraid of him. Trace was smirking and Damon shook his head.

"He is dead. No way a lord like that can beat a man like Jayce," Damon told himself. Lucy yipped in agreement and licked his hand. "I knew you would understand, Luce." He smiled and ruffled her fur on her back. She yipped again, her blue eyes seeming worried. She nudged her head upwards, making Damon glance up. Above, floating on an air current, was a great bird. "Ah, it is that bird of Henry's."

The bird gave a cry and swooped down, just as Andrew was slicing through the air. The wing tip was cut, and the bird landed. A few drops of blood fell on the ground. Lucy was up and barking like crazy. The bird cried, the beak parted, eyes worried. It moved away from its blood, just as a door way opened up in the air. Everyone paused, and nothing moved, no one breathed. Lucy began barking again and the eagle gave one more cry before it burst into flames, then was ashes.

Henry stared at the door way, slowly walking towards it in a trance. Jayce jumped to try and stop him but Trace held him back. "Cursed by Eleanor, will be the cause of war, only the blood of Fallor, can open the door, and be our cure," Trace said, his eyes almost glowing. Henry touched the silvery door and he stepped through.

"No!" People screamed. They had no idea what was happening. The door disappeared and no one moved, even Lucy was quiet. A column of silver mist came down from the sky and out stepped two men. One had long tangled brown hair, soft blue eyes, and a long beard. He wore a cape and simple black tunic. A golden crown sat on his head.

The other man was blond, with short hair. His face was strong, yet kind. His dark blue eyes were compassionate and wise. He wore a tunic, with a crest on it, seeming familiar to Damon. He was tall, and broad shouldered.

"Hello. I am Lord Aetos." The second man's voice was deep and rich, and seemed very cultured.

"I am King Henry." Henry looked at himself, human once again. "I am human! I am human!" He jumped, took Ruby's hand and spun her around. "I am human! Oh, it is wonderful!"

Damon went to Lord Aetos, understanding his language. "You are Lucy's father," he said in awe. The man nodded. "God. She speaks highly of you. Oh, God, she thinks you're dead! She thinks you are dead!" Damon clutched Aetos's forearms. "You are alive!"

"Yes, my son. Who are you? And where is my Lucy? I wish to go to her as soon as I can." He searched the courtyard, expecting to see her in the crowd.

"Oh, sir." Damon shook his head and looked at his feet. He gulped. "Lucy-she is gone."

"Gone where? I will take a horse and ride to where she is. I've longed to see my daughter. You don't understand. I've been away for years, knowing my daughter was alive, and knowing she thought I was dead. Where is she?"

"She's dead, Lord Aetos. She died a few days ago. She killed Jane, and King Jasper beheaded her according to laws."

"Lucy? Dead?" Aeto's knees became wobbly and he fell. Damon was so focused on Aetos, that he just started hearing Maelgwn and Alec barking. Yet Lucy wasn't. He looked around, but he could not find the female wolf. What were the other wolves barking at?

He couldn't find what they were howling at, so he returned to Aetos. Trace came too. "Lord Aetos. I am Trace.  I know you just learned of Lucy's death. I am sorry. I wish she were still here. I miss her deeply." Damon gave him a glare but said nothing. "Lucy won't be coming here soon."

"Trace, are you sure about that?" A light voice asked. The two boys turned to see a beautiful girl, with a silver mist hanging about her.

"Lucy?" Trace's mouth hung open. He stared at her, as did everyone else, particularly the men. "But..."

Lucy smiled a dazzling smile and stepped forward, her arms open. Her dress was white, with silk hanging down from her arms, trailing her. The silver mist still clung heavily to her, making Trace suspicious of her. "Black Shadow faked my death. He thought he could get the royals to kill themselves or be a bad fit for the kingdom. He is wrong. They are only stronger. Father," she whispered. She ran to him and hugged him tightly. "I thought you were dead." She squeezed him tighter. "Father, you must die now, though." She leaned back, a dagger appearing in her hands. "You made me think you were dead. Now you will be dead." Her eyes turned black, and she thrust, but Trace had put a shield in between the dagger and the lord at the last moment.

"Black Shadow. You tricky bastard." Trace stood tall, and his eyes flashed angrily. "Everyone, get out of here. Take the royals and put them in a safe room. Along with the nobles." Aetos got up shakily with the help of Damon and everyone quickly left, not wanting to be in danger.

"Ha, ha. You are smart, son of a blacksmith," Lucy's voice suddenly turned very deep and gravelly. Her whole body turned black and stood there now was Black Shadow. "I sense you are ready to die."

"You are wrong. I'm ready to kill you." A sword flew to Trace's hand and he sliced through the shadows. Black Shadow laughed and reformed. He grinned, and the eyes changed from black to red.

"Fight me, warlock. I know you want to avenge the girl you love."

Trace's jaw tightened and he ground his teeth. "I do not love her. She is a friend."

Black Shadow laughed, knowing he had made Trace irritated. Trace was bristled and tense. "Trace, you dream of Lucy and you being together, but you know it could never be. A Lady, niece to a Knight, married to a servant to the king and queen. Impossible."

Trace sliced through Black Shadow, and used this to distract him. He made his sword burst into flames and stabbed Black Shadow through the heart. He then lit his hand and strangled the shadows. "Be gone, Black Shadow!" Trace chanted a spell, and Black Shadow's red eyes widened, knowing he was close to being trapped forever in a jar. The little jar, the size of a child's fist, hung around Trace's neck.

"Be gone, Black Shadow!" Trace let loose a final burst of power, and the shadows dispersed, Trace opened his jar and the shadows went in. There was a scream and then silence. Trace made sure to seal the jar tight. He dropped the sword, went deep into the castle to the library, found wax and sealed it tight.

He wandered around the castle, until he found the royals and nobles hiding in the royal chambers, the guards surrounding the room from outside and inside. He sighed, and rubbed his neck. "It went well. Black Shadow will not be able to come back. Ever. He is gone."

Everyone cheered. Jasmine jumped up and kissed Trace's cheek. Lord Andrew's cheeks turned red with rage and Trace grinned at him, knowing it would make him even angrier. "Oh, Trace! You did it!"

Maelgwn howled and jumped up on Trace. He licked his face and yipped excitedly. Alec was in the corner, licking Aetos's hand. Trace glanced around the room, seeing Jani, Jayce, Jasmine, Jacob, Jasper, Jade, Ruby, Henry, Andrew, Aetos, Damon, and Marcus. The ones missing were Jane and Lucy.

Something nagged at Trace and he began looking around, searching for something. He realized what was bothering him when he counted two wolves. Where was Lucy?

"It is safe now, so you can all go about the daily chores and things you do." Trace left, then thought maybe he should have someone come with him. He whistled and the wolves came to him. He waited until Damon came out and took him aside. "Will you join me? I am going to search for Lucy. She seems to be missing."

Damon nodded and they walked around the castle, not quite sure of what they were doing. When they came to the dungeons, Alec barked and went down the stairs. They followed, and walked past all the cells and came to the last one, which Alec barked at. Trace opened the door, using magic, and grabbed a torch.

He walked in cautiously, and the flames cast a glow on a girl chained in the corner. Her arms were above her head in a lock. Her feet were chained to the wall. Her dirty greasy hair fell across her face. She was slumped against the wall, her chest barely moving with her breath. Trace stepped closer and the girl glanced up, her vicious dark blue eyes glaring at him. She spat at him and fought the chains. Her wrists and ankles were bloody. Her thin dress was dirty and covered with blood. The hem was torn.

The girl's face was swollen on one side, her jaw puffy. Her arms had raw cuts up and down. Across her neck was a slight, scabbed scar. As she jerked, her hair fell away to reveal a black tipped ear. Trace stepped back, worried about the girl. "Fetch King Jasper." There was a scuttle as Damon rushed off to find the king. Trace placed the torch in the bracket on the wall, and squatted, studying the girl.

"Who are you? What happened to you?"

The girl spat and hissed, seeming to talk in a language that Trace, even with magic, couldn't understand. She rattled the chains once more, sighed and leaned against the wall, her vicious eyes studying him. They stared at each other for a long time before Jasper came.

"Yes, Trace?" He stepped in and saw the girl. "Who is she?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.4K 978 26
When high school student Kim's mother leaves her alone for a few days strange things start happening. She realises that the supernatural world is aft...
522 13 55
In a world full of lies and secrets, Hilda, a princess, comes of age. Through the darkness of being told who she should marry, she falls in love for...
816 59 34
Lucy fights against Zeref and Archnoglya and uses an unsforgettebbale spell making her sacrifice herself the good for evil. Lucy wakes up confused a...
14.5K 589 27
TEASER: "No fiancΓ©e of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...