The House of Rochester Book 1

By xMishx

In the fae world of Merah, status is everything to the elite. The Rochester family is rich, powerful and desi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Hello!
Book 2

Chapter 16

42 8 0
By xMishx

Elwin didn't make a habit of telling many people of his day to day habits, not because he feared the consequences but because he didn't think it was necessary. His time was his own. It was why he could slip in and out of the building without anyone saying a thing about his untimely return. He could even bring his brother in to help him prepare for the sale of the company.

Kelleck decided to keep Elwin company until he returned for Corwin's birthday. After that, he hadn't decided. Kelleck wouldn't admit it, but their mother had asked him to keep Elwin close to ensure that he didn't venture down a dark path. He didn't know what she meant by that, but Kelleck figured that it was the book that had Elwin's mood all over the place. He'd never seen him so distracted.

As they walked through the lobby, Elwin's gaze darted around, searching for Kendall. Elwin hadn't seen Kendall in the days since his return, but then he didn't expect to. She always made plans for the season, often choosing to go skiing in Aspen. Kendall loved the place so much that she had a house there. Elwin hadn't seen it. There were always plans to go there before or after he left for Merah, but it never eventuated.

As they entered the elevator, Elwin knew that there wouldn't be a chance in the future either. A heavy and remorseful sigh escaped Elwin. His head tilted back against the cold glass as the doors shut. Elwin wanted to tell Kendall that things were changing for him, and he desperately wanted to do it in person, but there was one slight hiccup in his plan. He had no idea where the house was. There might be a chance that he could get through to her on her phone but that was not what he wanted. In person, not over the phone.

Like the world heard him thinking about phones, Elwin's began ringing. It was his attorney, the man that he'd spent many hours talking to over the past few days. Joe had found him a buyer for the company. As crazy as it seemed to Elwin, someone had made an offer over what he wanted and was eager to get things done quickly. It's why Elwin had spent the past couple of days gathering all of the information that the buyer wanted to look at.

"Joe, what's happening today?"

"Many, many things, my friend. The purchaser has agreed to an outright sale, so once he goes through the paperwork, he'll come in for a quick look around."

"Sounds great."

"He's free Friday, which should give you enough time to get everything organized. How did the accountant go?"

"Done and dusted, ready to go for Friday. Is this guy likely to sign the purchase agreement this quickly, though?"

"Buddy, I came in this morning, and my assistant handed me the letter of offer from this guy. Makes me think that you undervalued yourself here."

"It's fine."

"Good. Once the funds are through, I'll organize the transfer. How's Cal's find a wife hunt going?"

"According to my mother, he's making progress which is vastly different from when he first stormed into my office."

Joe chuckled, having already heard about that saga. He was the one that Elwin first spoke to when he found out about the decree. If there was anyone that knew fae law, it was Joe. Like Elwin, Joe split his time between the fast-paced life of Earth and the relaxed holidays in Merah.

"Well, I have it on good authority that he's one of many Rochester's that are hot-headed."

"You're hilarious."

The doors opened to a quiet floor. There would be a few people around, but not many. Elwin had to get a few records from Kendall's office, and then he'd continue to his own floor for many hours of paperwork.

"Still good for lunch?"

"Yes, bring something with you, and we'll go through everything that I've gathered so far."

"Sounds like a plan."

The two said goodbye as Elwin and Kelleck walked through the twentieth floor. As he approached Kendall's office, Elwin frowned at the sight of the door in front of him. It was open a fraction.

When she went on leave, Kendall always shut the door. She would lock it and give the key to the floor manager in case it was needed. Kelleck was about to say something when Elwin raised his finger to his lips, gesturing for him to be silent. Together, they crept towards the door.

Like the day when Heather was in this office, Elwin could hear someone moving papers, typing on the computer's keyboard, and answering the phone when it rang.

"I told you to never ring me on this number."

Elwin stared at the door. Kendall was here.

Dread began to rise swiftly within Elwin. He wondered if his mother was right. Was he being deceived by Kendall? Has it always been this way?

"I know that I'm on a limited timeframe. You should have told me you wanted the information before he left for Merah. I can't get into his office once he leaves."

There was silence as Elwin tried to burn the door down with his death stare.

"What do you mean he's back?"

Elwin's eyes widened, and he scrabbled for his phone, turning the volume down. He did not what to be caught by the stupid thing.

"Why is he back? Elwin never returns when he leaves for winter."

Kendall let out a dramatic huff.

"Fine. I'll figure out a way to reconnect with him. You know, I wouldn't have to do any of this if your precious spy had done her job properly. She should have known that a lord and master employs Ravens."

She scoffed.

"Being a vampire is no excuse, grandfather. Heather was the lame horse in the race, she lost, and now you're pissed at me for no reason. It's not my fault she lost the damned book. I told her to make a copy of it, and she ignored me. How much information did she lose that we will never get back? How is any of this my fault? You know what fell down here? Heather wanted to get into Merah when she knew it wasn't possible. She's got her leader whispering in her ear that they want in and it's the only thing she was thinking about. I told her that when she started chasing after Elwin. It was never going to happen."

Kelleck looked at his brother, who was quietly seething.

"You shouldn't have made the agreement with the vampires. How am I going to get the book back?"

Kendall laughed mercilessly.

"Oh my god. You cannot be serious. I am not starting a new one. Why don't you make your precious spy figure out how to get it back? I've got better things to do."

A beep echoed loudly, then a groan as Kendall slouched into the leather chair. Hearing the chair roll out, Elwin knew that she was on the move. His eyes darted to his side, where there was a cabinet. Grabbing Kelleck, he dragged him to the side where they hid.

The door opened, and Kendall emerged. Her determined stride moved quickly through the long corridor, not seeing the two men hiding next to the filing cabinet.

"Now what?" Kelleck whispered.

"Now?" Elwin said as he stood upright. "Now, I make an enemy out of a lover."

"And an ex-employee. Don't forget that one."

"I need a good reason."

"So, I suppose that you'd be extremely happy if your favorite brother happened to record the conversation on his phone?"

Kelleck played it for Elwin, who smiled as if he'd won the lottery. Amused at the thought of taking down the deceptive monster that had been playing him for a fool, Elwin pulled out his phone and rang the security desk.

"Mister Rochester, how can I help?"

"We have another employee leaving us today, but they are not aware of it yet. When Miss Donovan arrives at the security desk, would you mind asking her to wait in the office? I will be down in a few minutes."

"Of course. And the employee that's leaving?"

"Will be there when I get there."

As Jordan agreed, Elwin said goodbye and ended the call. He turned into Kendall's office and began collecting her personal effects. Kelleck found an empty paper box and helped Elwin.

"This is crazy," he muttered, carrying the box to the elevator.

Elwin had her satchel bag and coat. Everything else in the office belonged to the company.

"What? That she lied to me, deceived me, played me for a complete and utter fool, or that I'm moving so swiftly that she won't know what hit her?"

"Both."

Silence hit the two brothers as the elevator doors opened. Elwin was grateful that he'd had the forethought to ring the security desk and tell them to keep Kendall down there. He didn't want to be in the elevator with her. Not that close. He would have too long to look at her, and even though Kelleck was with him, Kendall would still try to plead her case.

Elwin didn't want to hear it. He was done. Fifty years of his love and life were given, and it meant nothing to her. He was a job. She was spying for her grandfather.

"I hate that I gave her so much, and this is what I get."

"What did you expect? She's a du Crépuscule. It's in their blood to hate us. Associating with vampires, that's a new one, though."

"I thought they didn't exist. Father spoke about them a long time ago. I thought he was joking. Clearly, I needed to pay better attention to the old fool."

The doors opened. Jordan turned and saw his boss walking across the lobby with someone that was completely unknown. For a moment, he frowned and wondered when this guy started and ended his day here because he was almost certain that he'd never seen him before.

"Mister Rochester,"

The unfamiliar figure dumped the box on the counter and then leaned on it with a smirk. He tipped his head at the witch as she emerged from the security office. Kendall stopped and stared as she looked at the two men waiting at the desk. One was Elwin, and the other was Kelleck Rochester.

"Elwin, what's going on?"

"Kelleck, if you wouldn't mind?"

Pulling out his phone, Kelleck started the recording, smiling at Kendall as the sound of her deception played out for everyone to hear. He stopped before Kendall said anything that the human would question. No talk of vampires, just enough to prove that they'd been listening.

Being the jerk that he was, Kelleck pouted sadly at Kendall and gave her a teasing wave goodbye. She was done.

"Security tag, keys, whatever you can find, thank you, Jordan."

The security guard looked at his boss and the stern glare that was directed at the HR manager. He could understand it. From what he'd heard, she'd done something pretty bad. Reluctantly, Kendall handed everything over to the guard.

"We should talk about this." Kendall began.

"Oh, sweetheart," Kelleck mocked as he pushed the box into her arms. "You know that's not going to happen. Take your things and leave with your dignity still intact."

"This has got nothing to do with you."

"You're wrong," he whispered. "You messed with my brother and my family. This has everything to do with me. Now get out and don't come back."

"What about my things?"

Kelleck looked at his brother, who said nothing.

"I suppose that we could do the honorable thing and have them boxed and couriered to you. What bridge are you living under at the moment?"

Kendall scowled at him, pushing past him. She tried to get Elwin to talk to her, but he wasn't having any part of it.

"This is it?" she whispered. "This is how it will be?"

Despite the anger that was burning in his mind, Elwin didn't want it to be like this. She had to know who was in the wrong here.

"This is the bed that you made, Kendall. Time for you to lie in it. Jordan, would you kindly escort Miss Donovan to the doors, please?"

"Don't bother." Kendall spat out angrily. "You will regret this day, Elwin."

"I will regret it?"

He was shocked and flicked his fingers at Kelleck. With a charming but sarcastic smile, he began playing it again.

"You lied to me. You deceived me. I know that you have been spying for your grandfather. I know that you were working with Heather. Everything that has happened today was your fault, not mine. If you'd been honest with me right from the start, this could have been so different but instead, you did what your grandfather wanted. You stabbed me in the back."

Kendall turned and stormed out of the lobby. Elwinwatched for the entire time, and when she was on the other side of the glassdoors, Kendall looked back at him. It was then that Elwin knew that he'd justmade a powerful enemy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

950K 37.8K 141
Two girls. Two secrets. Only one can survive. Years before Nelle Wychthorn plans her escape, Tabitha Catt may unearth something in a Horned God's lai...
397K 16.6K 41
"I don't fear darkness. I am the darkness." Being the leader of the largest Mafia group in USA, Ruslan Searlus is a man to be petrified of. Everyone...
437K 17.4K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...
743 113 27
In the fae world of Merah, status is everything to the elite. The Rochester family is rich, powerful and desired by many. They are also watched close...