Denial

By HILLYEee

"This bond is a mistake. Even Thea Seléni knows that" Queen Ismena Aria Ariti of Ourà Fengàri feels a pull to... More

||ABOUT|| & Character aesthetics
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
✨ EPILOGUE ✨

XX

33 7 0
By HILLYEee

Aria took a deep breath and forced herself to push the two men away from each other with a flick of her index finger. They both groaned as the hit the walls of the room. She hadn't meant to cause them any pain but she agreed they deserved it a little.

They glared at each other from across the room

"I'll ask again. What's going on here?"
Still her mother and Dalcia refused to look at her.
Demitri had recovered from the pain and got up to stand beside her.

"Tell her". Doukai spat looking towards Dalcia and Kyria Celma who both shook their heads vigorously. Aria hadn't ever seen fear on her mother's face in her lifetime. Nor had she seen Kyria Celma so shaken by just two simple words. They looked scared and ready to do anything to avoid speaking. And that led her to assume whatever it was they were keeping from her was a big secret they probably swore to never speak of.

"Tell me what?" Aria fumed and instinctively, her mate looped an arm around her waist hoping to keep her calm for he knew what was coming.
Aria felt his arm and let it be as it was. She was too focused on whatever had caused them to throw punches to deny the calm his touch gave her.

"Tell her or I will!". Doukai boomed causing Kyria Celma to visibly flinch.

"Doukai, you can't. You promised". Kyria Celma pleaded

"And I'm no longer her chosen mate so I might as well tell her"

"This is all your fault Celma. You just couldn't keep a secret!". Dalcia accused her friend with a hot glare. For a moment, Kyria Celma looked hurt, tears brimming at the corners of her eyes but the hurt look disappeared as fast as it came and got replaced by an angry one.

"Would you keep quiet if you were in my shoes? Would you?" She shot back at Dalcia

"For Ourà Fengari I would"

"Easy for you to say since you got what you wanted. Took my of only source of happiness!"

"He was never yours to have. Besides it was a mistake. You were on a fruitless mission. You're even lucky I made you stay. "

"You think I didn't know? But what would you do if you were me? And don't you dare say you wouldn't do anything I did, Dalcia you'd do worse"

"Will anyone tell me what's going on?"
Aria shouted making the room go pin drop silent.

"Yes I will." Doukai answered

"No you won't. Doukai you've already caused enough trouble. Don't do this"

"And I've put up with enough shit for you, mother ". Doukai sneered causing Aria the gasp. Mother?
Doukai referred to the leader of the witch coven as mother but Kyria Celma had no child. Right?

"Doukai!" Kyria Celma shouted looking as if she was about to die.

"There's nothing more I have to lose. I can go to Duska and live a peaceful life away from all this"

"You can't run away from Thea Seleni's wrath, Kai. You're doomed " Dalcia said.

"It's not like I was the one who twisted fate with dark magic. I was just a child!".

"Kyria Celma". Aria called and she turned to look at her.
"You're going to tell me what this is all about without leaving any detail ". Aria stated with staring into her eyes.

"Shit ". Demitri muttered but she paid him no mind and walked towards the woman who had started talking so that they were just a few inches apart.

"I don't regret what I did. I only regret what it led to. I didn't know your bond with your mate would be so strong that you'd even come across each other. I wound your path and twisted your fate against the fates will with Doukai's. You were to rule together and never meet your true mate. Your mother convinced me to give up my only source of happiness, my son. I sacrificed him and forced him to play along when he was old enough to understand "
Kyria Celma explained as her mother stared, unable to do anything.

"Why?" Aria asked calmly surprising everyone in the room except Demitri. He knew of the chaos that was happening within her. He was impressed with her ability to even sound that calm.

"Your mother found out who you are and couldn't... " Kyria Celma froze and begun to choke on her own blood as her knees went weak and she fell on the floor. With widened eyes, Aria looked towards who Kyria Celma was looking at and without wasting a second, she lunged for her mother the same time Doukai rushed to his now lifeless mother.

"What was that for?! Why did you do that?!" Aria screamed as she held her mother's neck in one hand, applying pressure.

"She had to go.". Dalcia simply said with an empty look.

"I could snap your neck in a split second for that. You just killed the leader of the witch coven of Ourà Fengari, Dalcia"

"I don't regret it. I can't let her ruin what I've built"

"Will you continue the story for me?" Aria asked knowing damn well her mother wasn't going to say anything.

"You can hope I will. That's up to you" She replied.

They glared at each other and for Dalcia it was a competition of power and dominance but in less than a minute, she felt something prick the back of her neck and no it wasn't Aria's claws. She wanted to look down to see what was making her neck stiff but she felt another sharp prick.

"They're thorns, mother. They'll be off the minute you tell me the rest of the story. And no matter what you do, you'll live till I say otherwise" She gritted out. Despite how hard Dalcia had been on her sometimes,she didn't hold her to it so much. She assumed she was only training her properly but now she was certain something was wrong somewhere. Maybe everything was wrong everywhere even.

"Take her to the dungeons" Aria instructed the guards she summoned as soon as they entered.
She then looked behind her to find Doukai cradling Kyria Celma's body close to his chest. He stared quietly at her. He wasn't her favorite person that moment and he was no longer her chosen mate but she couldn't deny she still loved him. Of course one didn't just start hating a person they loved or thought they loved for years. It just didn't work that way. No for Aria at least.

"I'm sorry, Kai". She said softly and he nodded despite the emotions that were cursing through his veins.

"Come". Demitri told Aria and grasped her hand, leading them out of the drawing room. She was glad she did because even though she couldn't bring herself to leave either. She appreciated Demitri's presence that moment because he acted wise enough to ask maids to clean the room and prepare Kyria Celma's body for burial after he got her into her rooms.

"Thank you". Aria told him as he came back into her rooms. He looked at her quietly for a few seconds before moving to kneel between her parted legs infront of her bed and took both hands in his, kissing each knuckle before he spoke.

"You don't have to thank me. I can imagine what you're going through right now. You can call me if you need me. I think you should rest ". He said and left her.
Truth is, he didn't want to leave her alone but he wasn't too sure if she'd be very comfortable with him. He was still trying to reach his wolf and it was still the same so clearly she didn't even trust him. Hell, he wasn't sure she didn't hate him still.

Aria couldn't sit still. She had too many questions and she knew her stubborn mother wouldn't give her any if she questioned her. Not that moment at least but she needed those answers immediately. Doukai would be the wrong person to ask too . She paced her room unable to do anything else. After hours of deliberation, she decided she's ask Zekai, her father. He had to know something but that man was as secretive as his mate. Maybe even more but at least she had hopes of coaxing him into spilling something. Having found a new purpose, she marched straight to her parents ' side of the castle and to her father's office.

"Come in, Aria". Her father said from inside his office as she lifted her hand to knock. She smiled and entered. He had very sharp senses so he sensed her before she even knocked.

"Father". She called as she walked to him to kiss his cheeks.

"Have a seat"
Zekia noticed she still stood so he instructed her and she thanked him. Despite the number of times he'd told her to ignore the formalities since they were related, she refused to listen but he admired her for that.

"I doubt you're here to take some books from my library since you normally sneak in to take them". Zekia stated causing her to gasp.

"How?"

"Oh come on Aria, you've been doing it for years. I was going to catch you either way ". He said with a chuckle which she joined in.

"I thought I had my tracks covered "

"So why are you here?" Her father asked. His tone switching from playful to a serious one.

"I have some questions regarding Kyria Celma's relationship with mother". She went straight to the point.
Zekia sighed
"I assume you have a lot of questions pertaining what happened leading to her death. By your mother's hands"

"Exactly."

"It's not for me to say. You'll have to get all your answers from her."

"But you know something father. You could tell me something. Please " She pleaded but he shook his head.

"You have to understand this, Aria"

"I'm tired of these secrets father. I just want some answers. I've not asked any question yet"

"You'll have to question your mother. Frankly, I may have no idea about what deal the two of them had"
Aria searched his eyes for a hint of lies but found none. She'd know if he was lying to her and a part of her wished she didn't have that ability. It would give her some hope of getting something out of him.
She silently got up and went back to her room.

Aria stood before the people of Oura Fengari after she asked the elders of the queendom's council to summon them. They were murmuring amongst themselves and though she could make out most of what they said, she didn't dwell on it. It was obvious some of them knew what they'd been called for. There servants of the castle knew but good thing most of them knew to keep their mouth shut. There were a few things that couldn't be kept secret for so long. Death was one of those things so it didn't bother her that news about Kyria Celma's loss had travelled that far. What remained a secret was her relation to the most revered keeper. Lina squeezed her hand and she smiled mentally thanking her for being up there with her. She scanned the crowd for Doukai. She wasn't surprised to find that he wasn't present. He needed that much space and for no one to bother him as he mourned his loss. Her mind was littered with thoughts of why her mother would murder her best friend due to a secret. What could be so important than her life? How had she been able to kill her best friend and the mouth piece of the moon.

"People of Oura Fengari, thank you for heeding to my call and gathering here. I have bad news and also news that some would find good. There's a trai- wolf on our lands and a lot of you have been questioning his presence. Today,all your questions will be answered because he's my true mate, Alfa Demitri of the Crescent Moon pack.". With that, Demitri who was lurking inside took steps forward to join her and he felt his heart soar as she slipped her tiny hand into his large ones. He felt her fingers tremble so he squeezed them hoping to offer her some comfort and strength to deliver the bad news.
Some of the people cheered, happy that their queen found her true mate, some on the other hand were clearly displeased as they passed snide comments which she ignored since she didn't want more blood to spill. Demitri's presence beside her helped a lot too.

"The bad news is that, unfortunately, for reasons best not made public, the leader of the witches' coven and mouthpiece of Thea Seleni; Kyria Celma, has -". She paused making her mate squeeze her hand again "has passed on. Her funeral will be held at midnight. You're all dismissed" she finished and heaved a sigh of relief.

She watched their reactions in silence. Most of them looked utterly heartbroken and it didn't surprise her because Kyria Celma was a lovely person to everyone, slow to anger and kind too. She would've added honesty to the list of qualities but she'd kept a secret she still didn't know of so she couldn't totally declare her honest.

Midnight came and the people of Oura Fengari came in their numbers to mourn the former leader of the witches'coven and a member of the queendom's council. It was hard for Aria to lead her people in putting the lady to rest but she had to do it. Doukai attended this time but he stood away from everyone at a distance, watching what went on with his eyes trained on Kyria Celma's still body.
A tear escaped Aria's left eye though she tried so hard to keep it in. Aria hoped she got rest, she truly did despite the betrayal she felt. She'd been like another mother to her because of her relationship with her mother and it hurt that she had to see her die so painfully. Lina held her shaky hands as she did the final rite and set the pyre on fire .

"May the moon guide you home, Kyria Celma". She whispered.
She stayed.
After everyone left, even after Lina failed to convince her that she had to rest. She thought she was the only person there till she smelled him.

"Kai". She called though she couldn't see him.

"I thought I'd never hear you call me that again ". He said

"I'm sorry "

"Aria" Doukai ignored her words and went to sit beside her.

"What is it?" She questioned

"I know you hate me but I have a request. I can't ask this of anyone except you now". She tensed at that but she felt like she owed him so she nodded, silently telling him to continue.

"Stay with me till morning please.". He paused and swallowed "I don't trust myself to be sane right now". He finished

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 442 43
Book 2 of Mate of the Alpha. My mate was one of the most powerful Alphas in the world, one of the three brothers. No one would have known that he had...
1.3M 41.9K 31
[Rejection Series Book 2] "Me, your mate? As if. You're weak and the reason my parents are dead!" He scuffs at my face and then does the worst thing...
5.2K 101 33
PROLOGUE Mates, simple word but have a lot of meaning behind it, it says mates were to protect each other love each other care for each other and the...
211K 10.4K 111
"The Moon makes you a half... and then you find your mate. And together, the two of you, make a full" ***** It didn't start with a rejection. ...