Ire of Mankind (A 40k and hal...

By thelolp777

*The art is not mine but from 推文 (though I am not 100% sure if I got it right). Please let me know if you wan... More

Disclaimer And Info For This Fanfic
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Extra 001
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Extra 002
Chapter 15
Sorry
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
40k special
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 4

3.6K 87 15
By thelolp777

            "You goddamn bastards!" One of the marines howled in fury and desperation as he threw one of the last precious napalm grenades at the hateful covenant. Several grunts were burned as the covenant was delayed by the fire but nothing substantial to stop their determined assault.

Commander Ivan gritted his teeth in frustration but also in desperation as he glared at the screen. He commanded what remained of the pitiful marines to stand before the tide of the covenant in a last desperate struggle.

Behind them were countless refugees and civilians. His men and women could not fall no matter the cost as tens of thousands were at risk. But as each second passed by, Ivan despaired more and more as his marines dwindled and the covenant continues to grow.

Grunts, jackals, and skirmishers pounded their fortifications relentlessly. It had been days since Ivan had a single minute to rest. Days since he had eaten a proper meal. He was so tired, so hungry, so desperate for help that he even delusion one.

Ivan thought a relief fleet had come to their aid when a massive slip space appeared from the edge of the Salfar system. He should have known it was his own delusional mind playing games on him when a reply came.

He did not even identify the damn thing's origins as he was so sleep-deprived to give a second thought. "T-they have breached the last defensive line! Commander Ivan! The civilians please- ARGH!" Ivan heard the last defender outside dies as he gripped the edge of his table hard.

"W-what do we do sir?" One of the marines inside whispers in fear as Ivan straightened his back. He turned to see the last defenders he had in hand. There were 50 green marines. Fresh from boot camp. Ivan remembered ordering the youngest to the back as he hoped to save them.

Now, only they remained. They were literally and figuratively the only ones to stand before the civilians would ultimately be butchered. Ivan wanted to scream, that they were doomed, and everything was hopeless. Humanity was hopeless and will be driven to extinction.

But Ivan did not. He will not allow himself the luxury of despair as he was their commander. Their leader. It was his responsibility to lead these men to war and die before any of them would. He would die defending humanity, hopeless as it was.

He simply raised his back and glared at the final door. Where the covies will be coming. Even now, he could hear their hateful sound beyond the door as the civilians despaired. "We will fight marine. To the last man, we will fight." Ivan said with venom in his voice as deep inside he trembled.

He was terrified of death. No one wanted to die so soon. Ivan however could not show that face. Not now. Maybe later, but not now. Ivan grabbed the nearest rifle as he led the remaining marines. The door was being force to open by plasma cutters as the air reeks of ozone.

Cries of the children and the wails of the adults were rich in the air, but Ivan stood at the forefront of the door as he glared detestably at the light heralding their doom. "The bastards are at our gates! We will make them pay tenfold for each of our own! Make them bleed men, this is our finest hour!"

Ivan roared as what remained of the marines shouted in a desperate battle cry. ...I wish I could see your face. I wish could hear your voice... one last time. Ivan thought as the door buckled. He prepared to open fire as soon as the doors fails when the drilling suddenly stopped.

Confused, the tense air swallowed everyone as they waited for their demise... except it never came. "What the hell?" Ivan cursed as he soon hears the bastards screaming in terror. "R-reinforcements?" The sound the word make made everyone shiver in hope.

"S-Spartans? It has to be spartans right??" One of the marines called out, hopeful even in such dire times. But just to be sure, Ivan hurriedly looked back at his monitor, trying to confirm if it really was a spartan who had come to save them.

And then he saw it. Demigods of unrivaled power and speed were tearing through the covenant with brutal efficiency. Ivan could not believe his eyes. He rubbed, blinked, and even slapped his face as he was convinced his mind was playing tricks again.

When he opened them again, they remained. "What the hell..." Ivan was utterly in disbelief now as he watched the demigods tear through the covenant forces... with only 3 of their own. There were hundreds of them! Perhaps even thousands!

The bastards were like the tides crashing over and over the defensive line until it broke... and yet these three. These three were like bastions before the storm. Three whirlwinds of destruction, coated in yellow were all it takes to break through the once unassailable covenant forces.

"T-these are not spartans." One of the civilians muttered as Ivan found himself nodding back in agreement. They were large, behemoth size to be precise with symbols and iconography that they did not recognize. And they were far more brutal and merciless than the spartans.

Spartans fought to protect, to preserve mankind. There was a sense of nobility in them. A sense of humanity in them. They were like machines sure, but compared to these demigods, spartans looked more human than they could possibly be. These... these demigods fought as if they are ruin incarnate. Machines of war designed to kill and only to kill with ruthless efficiency.

Ivan watched in horror and awe as these behemoths move impossibly fast. They were almost blurring if not for the high motion capture and sensors of the cameras. Two of them were carrying battle rifles that roared like cannons. They shoulder, crushed, stomped, and fire amidst the bastards.

And each shot was as lethals as the first. Headshot after headshot, Ivan even wondered if they are really were demigods as each shot was nothing short of perfection as each shot brought low at the very least 5 grunts or jackals into a bloody pulp mess. Always moving, never stopping for a second to kill the bastards. And then there was the third.

What caught the eyes of Ivan and everyone who saw the monitors was the third demigod. The third carried a sword. A chainsaw sword in an age where you could be melted by plasma fired miles away? It was madness, lunacy even! Who in there right mind would even come up such a plan??

... And yet this third demigod caught the attention of almost everyone within the bunker as he was the one who lead the two. There was grace in his movement. The two had grace on their own of course but the third, the third was different. Each step had a purpose and a disturbingly delicate sense of balance and poise.

Each swing took three lives of the hated bastards. The demigod moved as if he could see into the future. He was already moving before the damn bastard could even think to move. His swings were so powerful that bodies were lift up into the air. Blow after blow, the ranks were soon thrown into disarray.

Bodies, limbs, organs, and everything that can spill blood were spilled. Ivan watched as the jackals raised their shield in desperation to block the incoming attack. The poor bastards exploded as their shields were nothing more than paper against a rocket.

The grunts were screaming as they ran away in fear. Even with the angry calls of the elites, the grunts simply refused to obey as they were soon shot by their own leaders. This caught everyone in shock. Grunts, for all they knew, had always followed their elites.

Even if they cower in fear, they followed. It was for the first time they disobeyed entirely. Ivan watched in horror but now a disturbing sense of glee and satisfaction as he watched them tear the bastards. The look of fear, the look of dread, and most importantly, the look of despair were evident in their eyes.

Ivan wanted to make the bastards feel the same way as he did all those days ago. He wished time and time again that they would feel what he was experiencing when they pelted through his beloved world.

He prayed to be given the chance to see them in pain, even if it was for a mere second. As if God heard his prayer, he sent three angels of destruction before him. The sensation was not to last however when he saw a group of elites.

Ivan glared as the cowardly bastards were sneaking up on them. There were thousands of covenant forces that masked their approach. Ivan hurriedly snapped back to focus as he ran for the door. "Open it! We have to help them!" The marines quickly followed Ivan to their bewilderment.

"A-are you sure sir? Shouldn't we wait for-" "Idiot! If those three were to fall, we'll all be dead! We have a chance now and I'll be damn if I let it slip past! Now open the door!" Moments of hesitation filled the air for a moment before the marines move.

"Come on come on come on! Move it!" Ivan impatiently shouted as he slowly falls into battle sense. Ivan did not know who they were or where they came from, but whoever they were, he clearly needed their aid. There were several concerning details of their arrival but it did not matter.

What matters is that they were humans and are tearing apart a common foe. He needed them alive if he wanted to have a shot at saving the civilians. Ivan knew an uncertain risk lies ahead of him, but it did not matter if they were dead.

The massive steel doors finally creaked open as Ivan raced to the defense of their saviors. Abandoned equipment were rich behind the door as the stench of death waft through the air.

Ivan and the marines quickly arrived at the scene. Ready to help the demigods from the ambushing elites. Except, they did not need their help as the elites were already dead. A feat that only spartans could pull off yet these demigods of destruction did so without breaking a sweat.

The third demigod, the one holding the chainsaw-like sword was surrounded by dead elites. Ivan swore he counted 12 of them. 12 nigh unbeatable bastards that spartan struggled against were dead before the demigod.

They did not even pause to see Ivan and his men staring in awe as the demigods continued to move. "W-what is this?" One of the marines uttered in disbelief and fear as Ivan nodded in sentiment. The covenants were literally screaming and running away in fear as the demigods did not even allow them to flee for their lives as they mercilessly gunned down the fleeing bastards.

Everything went wrong. Everything went so wrong and so fast. Why? Why did the veterans did not warn them of this threat? Why would the pagans create such monstrosity? Do they not care for their souls?? How desperate they must be to create the incarnation of evil itself!

Ashvhak did not know but crawled anyways. He was a young promising warrior. Born from a noble family. This was his first assignment and campaign. He promised long ago to bring honor to his name. Swore to take his own life if he failed to do so.

Swore to face an honorable death before fleeing like a coward for his own survival. How ironic was it when he himself crawled to the dirt like a disgusting worm for survival. Humans were a race of pagans. Warriors to be sure but pagans nonetheless.

They do not heed to his Gods and even worse, they dare desecrate holy relics with their filthy hands. When he saw the demons they created from their records, Ashvhak felt fervor and a sense of right. They taint their own in a desperate attempt to fight off their noble and just cause. These were indeed pagans and must be destroyed! And he could not wait to take one down for himself.

The glory and fame he would receive would ensure the preservation of his name eternally in the pages of history. Ashvhak the slayer, how he would savor such glory. Though he knew how low the chances were actually are.

He and his unit were warned of the dangers of the demons, but he brushed the thought off as it was rarer to encounter the demons than to meet the prophets themselves. Another mission, another sortie, the expectation for this mission was simply that.

Why prepare for an enemy that even his seniors rarely ever encounter? It would simply another clean up, another cleansing of these pagans. There is no need to be so serious. How Ashvhak wished to take those warnings seriously as he does so now.

Those were demons! Nay! They are even worse than demons! Demons can be killed, he saw this! Several of the esteemed veterans had proven that they were simply humans beneath their green shell, but this???

This is beyond demons! They cannot be killed! He saw his unit tried to ambush the damn monstrosity. Tried to take him down when he least expected it. The execution was even flawless and would kill any spartan in surprise. But flawless fell short before the monster.

It took barely 3 seconds for the monstrosity to kill 12 of his unit. As if time went into slow motion, Ashvhak blinked and saw the monstrosity turn impossibly fast. His armor should have slowed him down, but he did not seem to be even bothered by it! He broke kinsmen Ichor's throat before hurling his dead body to kinsmen Tavashk.

The impact was so strong that Ashvhak saw the bodies bend. Shielded or not, it did not matter to these monsters. The remaining ten forces their energy blade to life, aiming at the monster's throat. For a moment, Ashvhak hoped that it would be enough, to end this horrible nightmare.

The fleeting hope he had was destroyed in an instant as the monster blurred once more. The damn thing killed five as if it was trivial! He sidestep a stab while simultaneously swinging for the other. When the shield collapsed and dismembered Lvhok, the monster snapped Reshvhal's neck before elbowing another.

Terlum couldn't even scream as his lungs collapses for any notion of breathing. The twins, Kava and Koro tried to bring down the monster as they both swung at its tendons and neck. The being grabbed Reshvhal's corpse as it blocks the blow before impaling the two. 

Yes. Even their dead was being defiled as the monster use them as shield and weapon. The terrible blade nailed pass Reshvhal dead body and into the abdomen of the twins. All of this happened before a minute had passed.

Five kinsmen he fought, bleed, and laugh with for years, were gone in an instant. Some tried to parry the blow, but the monster simply outmaneuvers them. Strength, skill, power, the three things elites were most proud of was shattered before the mayhem of the beast.

Instead of meeting the blades head-on, the monster strikes their weakest and evaded the blade entirely. If there were some solace to be taken from this horrible defeat, it would be the monster were wary of their blades. It looked as if it could hurt him. Though what good is a weapon if they cannot even land a hit?

Ashvhak screamed for the remaining kinsmen to run, to flee for their lives. It was impossible to fight this monster. These inhuman abominations! The monster however did not even allow them to feel the dread as he killed the remaining five. With ruthless and inhuman efficiency.

The monster tore through the limbs of his kinsmen before letting out a baleful howl. It was then Ashvhak felt terror to his core. He felt something inside of him break. The dread of death, the desperation of survival. Was this how the humans felt when they arrived? Ashvhak did not know as he only wanted to run, to live.

The remaining 8, including him, fled in fear. Honor? Glory? It meant nothing to them now. These monsters, these monstrosities simply could not be taken down by something as flimsy and trivial as honor.

Ashvhak even wondered in terror if they consume their souls if they are killed by their hands. Their eyes were merciless as red as they were! The eyes! Oh, the eyes came straight from hell themselves! They looked as if molting lava coursing through their veins.

Ashvhak tripped before an ungoy corpse that saved his life. The monster did not bat an eye at him as it chased his kinsmen. Ashvhak cried when he heard them scream. His people may disown him and call him a coward, but he did not care. He wanted to live and will do anything to do so. Crawling ever so slowly in the hopes of the monster leaving him alone.

Asticious watched as a lone xeno crawled desperately away from them. He could hear how hard he controlled his breathing. Could see how slow it tried to crawl away, acting dead in the hopes of being left alone.

"Is there a problem brother?" One of the lamenters voxed as they saw what he saw. Per protocol, any and all xenos must be expunged, no matter how powerful or defenseless they may be. Asticious however had a different plan in mind.

"Let him live." Asticious replied as his brothers were confused. "Let him live? But brother he-" "He would serve as a warning to all. Sow discourse amongst their ranks and hopefully buy us enough time to settle a base of operation." The lamenters paused as they nodded their head. 

"I understand brother Asticious." The xeno ever so slightly, turned to look back. It was as if he was hoping he created a reasonable distance enough to make a run for it, hoping they had forgotten about them. When the alien turned however, it was met with the glare of the three.

The alien froze then like a statue as his eyes trembled wildly in sheer terror. He was dead, he truly believed he was dead.  The lamenters glared down at the desperate xeno before suddenly breaking contact and turning their back against him.

Asticious could not help but chuckle as well as his brothers when they heard the evident hyperventilation of the xeno with the aid of their augmented hearing. He was so terrified of death that he could not even control as simple as his own breathing. 

They almost pity the xeno, almost. Just as loathsome as the alien was, they were still soldiers. For what it is worth, the lamenters would rather kill the miserable alien than to allow themselves to pity and disgrace him as a soldier. The lamenters allowed the poor minor elite to live as it continues to crawl ever so slightly away from the shadow of death.

Ivan heard the marines behind him gulped down in terror and awe as the three demigods surveyed their work. There was heavy chatter amongst them as if they are speaking to one another. Ivan could barely understand a word they said but thankfully enough, they were human. Anything human is a win in his book.

Ivan was about to speak to the demigods when they suddenly noticed them. The three turned before walking towards them. It was then Ivan thought he felt what the damn bastards felt. In a way, he sympathizes with them.

Hateful as they may be, these demigods were completely out of reason. Their gargantuan size was well over 7ft, maybe even 8, Ivan was not sure. With the armor they carried, Ivan wondered again how these demigods move for something so heavy encumbering them. Nay, they did not simply move but even walk with poise and grace.

Watching them standing was terrifying enough, the mere sight of them walking towards you was enough to break the weaker minds. One of the marines yelled in fear as he quickly aimed his rifle at the demigods. His hands were shaking violently as tears ran through his face.

Ivan felt his heart drop as he slapped the weapon down as fast as he can, but not fast enough as the first shots were already fired. The bullets ping off harmlessly off the demigods armor but it may as well be the herald of their incoming doom.

Whatever hope Ivan had to recruit such demigods were seemingly shatter before the firing of the rifle. The giants stopped motionless before slowly turning gaze to the marine. The marine paled even further as Ivan could see his life flashing before his eyes. We're dead! Ivan thought as the demigod suddenly blurred. He was staring at them! It was less than 10 ft away but they still blurred!

Ivan blinked for a moment when the rifle the marine who fired suddenly disappeared. "I know you are all on edge, but do you really need to fire at us?" Ivan tried to speak when his gaze meets with the demigod. The glowing crimson suddenly robbed his will to speak as the demigod studied the weapon.

"This weapon really did predate back to the age of terra. What a strange thing." Ivan's eyes widen as the demigod disassembled the weapon faster than any veteran he had ever seen down to its most basic form. It was as if he knows the weapon at the back of his hand.

"Similar that of stub gun, but somewhat different... strange." The demigod whispered before reassembling the rifle back in a blink of an eye. "I'll let it slide for now, but do know I don't take kindly being shot at for a second time." The demigod politelty threatened as he handed the weapon back to the marine who swallowed back nervously.

"M-my sincerest apologies. The men are still green as you might suspect." Ivan finally found his voice as the demigod seemed to nod back in understanding. "Ah, I have yet to introduce myself. Where are my manners?" The demigod whispered before moving to remove his helm.

Ivan suddenly found himself steeling for the worst. Whoever the warrior dealt such damage, surely his face matches his actions. Ivan prepared his heart for the scowl on the demigod's face when he felt his jaw fall to the floor. The same could be said to the marines as their eyes stared blankly at the giant.

No, he was more of an angel as his angelic face smiled and instantly calmed the growing fatigued and dread from the marines. Ivan almost fell like his marines, but he managed to maintain his stoic front as their commander.

He had to show them face somehow. To show them readiness... no matter how tempting it was to broke down and cry in relief. "I presume you are the commander? My brothers call me by the name Asticious, but you may call me Adam."

Ivan was yet again surprised by his angelic nature as his voice was as soothing as the rivers of earth. The marines stared back in awe as Adam smiled down upon them. "M-my name is Ivan. Ivan Yuri." Ivan cursed his tongue for stuttering.

The angel smiled as he nodded behind Ivan. "Those doors, they lead to the civilians correct?" Ivan hesitates to reply as he was now extremely concerned about the sudden interest the angel had shown to the civilians.

"How are they? Are they safe? Is anyone injured?" But the worry soon evaporated like mist before the sunny day. Ivan wondered for a moment if the angel really was the demigod of destruction they had seen on their monitors as his words did not meet his actions.

The angel was so nice, so warm, so... caring that Ivan began questioning his mind before shaking off the doubt. He cannot afford to act dumb now. He had to report what happened and ask for their aid. Ivan speak as the courage in his voice slowly finds its way back.

"Your timing was impeccable sir Adam. If you were late even by a minute, I doubt me, and my men would be standing here talking to you." Ivan said calmly as Adam nodded. "Though... I have to ask." Ivan started as Adam raised one brow.

Ivan hesitated for a moment before finding the strength to speak once more. "Who are you people? I am fairly certain you are not from the UNSC. I have not heard soldiers like... well you. Are you the new generation of spartans?" Ivan asked.

"Spartans? That is a name I am certainly hearing a lot. Well to answer your queries, we are not spartans. We are the adeptus astartes, the Emperor's angels." Ivan's brow raised at the answer. "Emperor? I did not recall we ever had an emperor." Ivan replied as the angel nodded.

"Just as captain suspected." Asticious mumbled beneath his breath. "Just as captain suspected? What do you mean sir Adam?" Ivan asked, confused more so than before. Asticious opened his mouth to reply when a static burst came off from his suit.

Moments later, a marine soon confirmed Ivan's suspicion as he panickily shouted. "C-commander Ivan there are multiple slip space detected! 20 covenant ships have appeared! What do we do sir?!" Panic soon ensued into the crowd as Ivan paled at the news.

It's over... Ivan thought as all hope he once held was shattered by the herald of the dread news. As if 5 wasn't enough, there are now 20 reinforcing the fleet. It was simply over, there was no hope- "Control yourselves men."

Ivan and the marines blinked as the marine gargled and distorted voice replied. "Reinforcements from our fleet should be arriving in 10 to 20 solar minutes. We will have to hold on until then." Ivan blinked at the proclamation of the angel as hope begins to flicker back inside him.

"B-but it's impossible!" One of the marines shouted as he despaired. "T-the UNSC had been fighting these bastards for years and we always lost!" "That is enough Kurt!" Ivan shouted but the marine continued on.

"We once fought them 13 to 1 and we barely even won commander! We can't even defeat 5 of their ships on our own! Much less 20, we cannot win commander we-" "Is that all would it take to break you guardsman?" The marine could not say a word then as the angel was now furious.

No, not so much as furious but more so... sadden. "How long have these xenos tormented you all to break with such measle number?" Ivan opened his mouth to defend his men but could not bring himself to speak. After all, there were kernels of truth within the marine's desolate words.

7 years. It took only 7 years for the outer colonies to fall. Now, the inner colonies are dying in droves. Despite clinging to hope, Ivan could not bring himself to hope for a victory. To hope for the survival of mankind. Asticious shook his head as he turned his back.

"W-where are you going?" Ivan asked, terrified at the angel's abandonment. But what Asticious said next, caught all of them surprised. "Where else? To war." Ivan blinked as the angel pointed to the sky.

"Look to the stars my kin. See for yourself the power and glory of mankind. The power and glory of our emperor. Look to the stars and reclaim it once more for it is your birthright." The angel said before disappearing back into the shadows of war.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
3.7K 66 36
After a successful mission, Kotaro decided to go on a short vacation. He only had a five days break to enjoy and make the best out of it. Nothing cou...
26.2K 457 20
Danny and Dayla are twin brother and sister. One day they had an accident in their parents lab, causing them to become half-ghosts. Now with the help...
258K 4.5K 69
Meet Kyu, he's your somewhat average teenager, other than the fact that he possesses the power of The Gamer and is on the track to becoming the unive...