The Curse of a Godess

By BeaMartina10

"Kiss me." He whispers. "I-I don't know how...I've never done this before." I frantically whisper and tilt... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
Epilouge.

7. -

1.1K 42 0
By BeaMartina10

The rest of the day Hades spent up in his room, while I thought of new things I'd want in my garden and new things I'd wanted to do.

The next morning was a sign of new hope. The sun does not rise, but I wake without the turning turmoil in my head. This situation was as bad as I would make it for me.

As usual, there was bread with wine for breakfast, and I filled my stomach before stepping up the beautiful staircase. He's probably already working, maybe he'd rather me leave him be. Instead of finishing my travel up the stairs, I turn around and scurry back to my room. I wrap the thick cloak around me and head towards the front door. It wouldn't hurt to see what was around the castle. The doors of the palace are almost unmovable due to the weight of the gold coating. Yesterday, Hades moved both doors with ease. Once my entire weight can budge the door open, I slip through and use all of my strength to push it closed. My breath heaves and I take a quick deep breath before starting down the stone path.

The path leads down a winding trail into the dark forest, and the closer I step the more my golden light reaches the dead trees. Being a Goddess has it's perks, I would never have to use a lamp due to my skin being so bright.

If I don't stray from the path, then I shouldn't get lost. Some branches warp close to the ground, and nothing but the faint howl of the wind rings in my ear. The leaves slightly brush across the ground, and my eyes observe everything in sight. It's cold, and each plant looks as if it has been dead for centuries. If I could, I would frame and place all of them on my wall. Usually, I only collect flowers, but it would be a new addition to my collection. Well...my lost collection. When I left the cottage I left everything inside, but at the time I wasn't focused on gathering my stuff.

I doubt there's anything out here, if there was he probably would've warned me. What he did tell me spiked my interest. He said I had power, but I'm not sure what I have. If it's like my mother's, then I may be able to control vegetation and bless the earth with fertile soil. Hera did tell me I was the Goddess of the underworld and spring, but I'm not sure what kind of power that grants me. I sit on the dry ground and hover both hands over a small patch of dirt just like my mother used to. Beautiful flowers would sprout from the ground within seconds, and she would use them to decorate the cottage.

My mind focuses on the patch of dead soil and I imagine a vibrant yellow flower sprouting from the rich soil. As I stare intensely at the ground, I tighten my muscles and wait for something to happen. Nothing. I release my breath and my muscles relax as I try to think of how my mother did it. I take a deep breath in and use my hand to touch the dry earth. Just think of what makes a plant grow. Water, sunlight, and fertilized soil. I close my eyes and lift up from the ground, while imagining a beautiful yellow flower rising from the soil. I slowly open my eyes, in hopes of seeing something, even if it was just a small leaf. Nothing.

Each time she did it, she made it seem so easy. Maybe I just don't have that power. I sigh and pick myself up before rethinking what he told me yesterday. I'm a real Goddess, this should be easy. I don't remember hearing any stories of the other Gods having to learn their power. As far as I'm concerned it should come naturally.

I spot a beautifully wilted off-white flower just outside of the stone path. It sits in the center of some dead plants and I step towards it to grab it. This will be the start of my new collection. I bend down to rip the plant from the ground, and a small rustle in the nearby shrubs causes me to freeze. My eyes scan around the area and wait for something to emerge. The shrubs are low to the ground, surely whatever lurks in the shadows can't be too big. The ground rumbles and the shrubs once again rattle. My eyes dart to the floor, and my feet stay planted firmly in the dirt waiting for another rumble.

Without hesitating I turn to run back to the castle, and before I can take another step a giant creature stands about 10 meters from me. Its skin is flushed out red, and its body looks like a large clump of dirt. It towers almost 20 feet above the ground, and its eyes are glowing red. Hundreds of heads sprout every inch of its body, and it's feet create large craters in the dirt. It holds a large sword stained with dried blood, and its mouth hangs open with brown rotted teeth. It swings the sword upwards, and in the blink of an eye the sword crashes down to the stone path. The ground cracks into small sections and I leap into the forest away from the stone path.

Without thinking I continue to sprint without a specific direction in mind. I leap over shrubs and a few of the dead plants scrape against my cloak. Twigs snap under my feet, and I slap away the frail branches each time they block my path. My heart races and my limbs grow heavier as I try to escape. My lungs burn with searing heat, and the forest seems to be getting thicker and thicker.

I jump past another shrub and dig my heels into the ground to stop myself when I spot the monster waiting for me. He waits as if he had known where I'd be running, and he swings his giant sword. He slices through a few thick trees, and I drop to the ground dodging the fatal blow. The whoosh of wind from the flying sword, pushes my body rolling eastward. I quickly look up to see the black tree trunks slowly falling downwards. There's no way I'm going to dodge that. I scrunch my eyes closed and use my arms to shield my head as if that would cushion the blow.

A large booming sound shoots through the forest, and my scream scrapes my throat as I prepare for the sudden pain. I may not die, but it will hurt. I feel small pieces of wood raining from the sky and nothing else. I hear a large tree crack as it lands on the ground, and then there is only silence. I lift my head, and I see a familiar black tunic over two gold arm cuffs. He stands in a shower of splinters, and his hand grips his large pitchfork as if he had just swung it.

The ferocious beast kneels before him, and his main head is faced down toward the floor. His sword rests in his hand that touches the ground, and I heavily breathe out in relief.

"You must have disregarded the news. I have taken a wife, and she is your new queen." Hades says with a loud boom.

Usually, his voice was low but quiet. As he speaks to the beast it reminds me more of his brother Zeus.

"My apologies. I got the message you had taken a new wife, but I did not realize she would be outside the palace." The monster says through a grumble.

"Your ignorance will cost you-"

"Wait!" I interrupt. "It's fine! There's no need to be mad at anyone."

Hades steps towards me and he reaches his hand down to me.

"He could've hurt you." He says sternly.

"But you came." I smile and take his hand. "It's okay. He was just doing his job, at least I know if there is an intruder he will take care of it."

He gently lifts me, and his eyes soften. For once I feel warmth in his hand. My hand lightly jerks from the shock of the warmth, but I squeeze tighter to gather as much of it as I can.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

My body still slightly trembles, and I try to smile through the fear embedded in my stomach.

"I promise I'm okay," I assure. "Leave him be."

"Let's get you back inside." He says noticing the shivering.

His long hair sways in the wind, and he pulls away from my hand.

"Be gone before I change my mind." He says harshly without looking back toward the creature.

My eyes dart back toward the creature and I see nothing but broken trees. For such a big monster, he moves quickly and silently.

"What was that?" I ask in a whisper.

"He is a hecatonchire, named Mentor. They guard my kingdom. I apologize for the inconvenience." He informs.

"Don't apologize, I understand. Do they live down here?"

"Yes, there is a village East of the forest where they and the cyclops live. When they aren't working, they are provided with homes, food, and rest."

"Wow, the underworld is so big."

"What were you doing outside?"

I catch my words before they spilled from my lips. My mind wants to save myself from the embarrassment, but I doubt lying to him would do me any good. It would probably just anger him.

"I just wanted to see what was out there. I didn't think there was anything out there."

"I should have known you were going to try exploring this place. You spent a lot of time sneaking away, behind your mother's back." He says looking through the small shrubs.

He easily walks around each shrub and dodges each branch like he knows they are coming. I keep up with his fast pace and keep my heavy breaths silent.

"I don't see anyone could just sit without wanting to know what's out there," I explain.

"I don't want to cage you as your mother did. You are not a child."

"I appreciate that." I smile.

His eyes look caught off guard by my smile, and his eyes quickly break away.

"But I don't want you to wander without me. There are too many risks out here."

"If they know I'm out here, what would worry you?"

"Many people have come through the underworld, and I couldn't risk you getting caught up in any crossfire." He explains.

"Who would come down here willingly?" I ask with a raised brow.

"More people than you would think. Most are Demi-gods trying to take back their dead loved ones. Some mortals even manage to come down here."

"I see, but I shouldn't drag you from your work." I say softly, "I don't want to be a headache for you."

As the words leave my tongue, I want to slap my forehead. I was just fine never speaking about this, I don't know why it slipped from my mind. I would've rather locked myself back in my room than talk about this.

"I shouldn't have said that, it wasn't fair to you. I don't want you to think-"

"It's okay, I'm not mad at what you said. You were right, I'm done crying." I smile.

"Still, that's not something I should be telling others." He corrects.

"I'm glad you have a close friend. I would rather you talk about it than keep it bottled up." I suggest.

"He's not my close friend." He rejects, "I've tried to get rid of him, but he won't leave me alone."

I chuckle, "If you say so, but again, I will be fine exploring around the castle alone. I can take Mentor, he seems strong enough to protect me. Plus he does well at his job."

"No. I would feel more comfortable escorting you myself."

"You're always working." I remind.

"Then let us compromise. We can pick the day you'd like to explore, and I'll escort you."

"Are you saying day or days?" I fish for answers, "Those are two different things."

"One day." He offers.

"Three days?" I quickly ask.

"One and a half." He argues.

"Two days, and let me go with you when you work outside the castle for one day."

He stares at me with plain eyes and sighs. "Fine."

"You have been needing a day off from work." I lightly tease. "Maybe I can travel with you to the rivers!"

"That's quite dangerous." He warns. "You'd see a lot of things, you wouldn't be able to erase. Death isn't the most beautiful thing to witness."

I shrug it off. "I'll be okay. I just want to see everything you have."

He steps over a medium-sized brush, and I try to balance as I step over by lifting one leg. His hands again stretch out, and I take it so he can assist me further. When I touch his hand, again it is warm, and I wonder if that is why he is unfazed by the bitter wind.

"Do you not get cold?" I ask.

He releases my hand and leads us back to the stone path.

"No, I've been here for almost 1,000 years. I guess after a while I just got conditioned to the cold."

"So for 1,000 years straight you did nothing but work the majority of your time?" I ask with disbelief.

"It would seem I did." He answers calmly.

"Tell me something you'd like to see," I ask with interest. "Or something you would like to do."

His eyes look up towards the sky before looking back down at me. Despite his monstrous features, he failed to scare me. The only time he truly worried me was the first time we had met, and the day I was under judgment. Other than that, it's hard to believe he is the one people fear so much.

"I would possibly enjoy relaxing on the beach." He admits.

A small giggle erupts from my lips, and I give him a teasing nudge.

"What do you like so much about the beach? It doesn't seem like a place you'd like to go."

"Honestly, the main reason is we don't have one." He explains.

"So, come with me to the beach," I suggest. "I've never seen the ocean, so that would be another destination checked off of my list."

"Persephone you know if you go to the surface, you're stuck here a day longer?" He warns.

I roll my eyes playfully. "You think too much, but that's not what I meant. Come with me on the first day of spring."

"Go to the surface?"

I nod. "Yes, you said it yourself. You needed a break, and one day of missing work won't hurt."

"You drive a hard bargain, I will think about it."

"I will be going with or without you," I say politely. "But just know, you have been invited."

He rests his fork over his shoulder, and my eyes dart to the large black weapon.

"It is so big. Is it hard to carry around?" I ask while staring up at him.

His head slightly snaps and he gives me a baffled stare as if he misheard me.

I chuckle. "Is your fork heavy?"

A small sense of relief relaxes his shoulder muscles, and they slightly sink.

"Not really." He shakes his head.

"Can I see?" I ask. "If I am the Queen I should learn how to defend myself, don't you think?"

He stops in his footsteps and looks at his fork before hoisting it from his shoulder.

"I would hope you are never in a situation where it requires you to fight alone." He says as he holds the weapon out for me to hold.

I happily wrap my fingers around the staff, and he lightly releases a small portion of the weight. The overwhelming weight sends my arms downwards, and before this weighted weapon smashes my fingers he quickly pulls upwards with ease.

"You are incredibly strong." I chuckle to hide my embarrassment. "Do you carry that everywhere?"

"Most of the time, and this was a gift." He says hoisting it back onto his shoulder. "My brothers received gifts as well, it's their symbol. Zeus has his thunderbolt, and Poseidon has his triton."

"Who gave you your symbol?" I ask.

"A cyclops named Anax made it so we could defeat Cronus." He explains. "After that, we were gifted with ruling the earth. Zeus was gifted the sky, and Poseidon was gifted the sea, and of course, you know what I was gifted."

"Forget about them." I lean in closer to whisper as if they could hear me. "I think you are the best of your brothers."

He had slightly leaned closer to hear my whispers, but once my words spilled he lightly pulls away.

"That's like comparing water to mud. Of course, one is better, but that's because the other is much worse." He says disposing of my compliment.

"True, but I think I enjoy your company much better than I would theirs."

My ego is shot down with an arrow, instead of getting a light laugh, I get silence. I nervously look away and try to create another conversation. He's not much of a talker. In most of our small conversations, I am the one always asking questions, and he remains simply answering them with such forwardness.

The distraction I once had with the light chatter disappears and my body reverts to focusing on the chilling gushes of wind.

"I wonder if I will ever be conditioned to this. I don't see how you were able to do this for so long." I wince as the shivers shoot down my spine.

"I will start your fireplace in your room for you." He offers. "Would you like some wine?"

I nod my head and smile. "That would be nice, we can talk about our adventure to the beach."

"Actually..." He says with a plain voice. "I have a lot of work to do, but I hope you enjoy yourself."

Again my ego is pained, and I give a nervous laugh.

"Of course." I smile through the awkwardness. "I wouldn't want to keep you."

I'm guessing I'll be headed to the beach alone. I don't think I'll ever be able to drag him away from work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 5.3K 33
a retelling of the tale of persephone and hades --- highest rankings - #1 in greek, god, greek mythology, hades, hecate, olympus --- ❝she wore silk d...
43K 1.7K 54
What if mythology isn't a myth? Callie Prescott has the rest of her life planned out: get into med school, become a heart surgeon, and heal the world...
677K 32.9K 15
| A Wattpad Featured Story | Hades was well-cast to rule over the land of the dead. But what if Hades, the fearsome monarch of the Underworld was...
13.6K 343 37
Isolation can be devastating. But love...can destroy everything around you. For Persephone, isolation is being kept under the suffocating gaze of h...