Redamancy | Elena Gilbert

By SprintingFox

One seemed to know everything about love, while the other couldn't claim any experience with it. What was sup... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Final Author's Note

Chapter 26

2.5K 114 7
By SprintingFox

The Boarding House was quiet.

Rosalind expected to hear screams or maybe, a therapy session in progress. The lack of sound made her think that they'd accomplished nothing in the past two days. Which didn't bode well for Alaric if Klaus really did lose his temper.

"You're here," said Elena, appearing from the living room as Rosalind walked in.

"I am," said Rosalind. "How's Alaric?"

"He's been the same," said Elena dejectedly. "Damon, Stefan, and I have been taking turns keeping an eye on him. His alter ego hasn't re-emerged."

"Bummer," said Rosalind. "Klaus will be coming by later to... give it a go. Which I'm sure will be bloody. So I'd hope that he makes an appearance before that."

Elena pursed her lips. "So, how was it? Turning the hybrids?"

"It went well. They're all staying at the mansion for now." She noticed Elena was dressed as if she was going to leave the house. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah," she said. "To school... Caroline signed me up to decorate for the Decade Dance." She toyed with a string on her blouse. "I wanted to ask if you would be my date."

Rosalind blinked. "Your date? To the Decade Dance?"

Elena nodded. "I took some time to think these past days and I... I do like you, Rosalind. I just want to take it really slow. Like... do some dating, taking time to get to know each other romantically but little by little instead of jumping right into a relationship. I've still got a lot to learn, and I hope that's okay with you, if we go... slow and steady."

"Of course it's okay with me," said Rosalind, a genuine smile making its way onto her face. "I'd really like that."

Elena blushed. "I-I should get going. But I'll text you later with details about the theme of the dance, and the time and all that... I'm looking forward to it."

"I am, too," said Rosalind softly. "Have a good day."

"You too," said Elena before slipping out the door. Rosalind grinned to herself, and made sure to message Klaus to update him on Alaric's condition and the fact she'd landed herself a date.

Before Klaus responded, she received a message from Tyler. Given that he hadn't spoken with her in a while, she was quick to reply to his 'Hey,' with 'Hi, how are you? Are you ready to come back to town yet?'

'I'm back. Meet me in the cellar.'

She made sure to tell Klaus that she was going to be busy, trusting he'd handle Alaric by himself. To make sure things didn't get too out of hand, she informed Damon that Klaus was going to pop by. Turned out that Damon had been in the house the entire time. He was just passed out on his bed.

She sprinted to the cellar, and pulled Tyler into a tight hug when she laid eyes on him. "You're back," she sighed. "It feels so good to see you."

"You feel different," he said in surprise, pulling away from the hug. "Rosie, what happened to you?"

"I'm a hybrid now," she said. "Just like you. So, did you do it? Did you break the sire bond?"

"I did," he replied. "But that doesn't matter— what the hell do you mean that you're a hybrid?"

Rosalind heaved a sigh. "Klaus turned me. I asked him to."

"You gave in? But... but why?"

"Because he offered me a deal. We're leading the pack together. We're both the Alphas, and we just came back from a trip to Montana where we brought in eight new recruits. Right now, they're sitting ducks while we wait to get the last of the white oak. Matt killed Finn, Klaus's brother, and we found out that if an Original dies, so does every vampire from their bloodline. We're from Klaus's, so right now, we have to protect him. But soon, we're going to train them, and we're going to teach them, and in the end, we'll give them a choice whether they stay or go. We can keep offering any wolves we find a chance to be hybrids, and they will get to preserve their free will. Klaus is listening to me, Tyler, and we're becoming friends."

He stared at her. "So, I leave, and now you and Klaus are buddies?"

"Allies. And blossoming friends. That one is still a work in process, though."

"I thought you hated him."

"I'm trying not to hate him. We need to work together to help the hybrids. So far, it's working. He's my fellow leader. I can keep him in check. He's taught me a lot, Tyler, he trained with me for over a week to help me learn to fight and use my abilities. I'm stronger now."

"Rosie, are you and him a thing or something?"

"No, we're not."

"Really? Because I don't believe you."

"We slept together once," she admitted. "But it didn't mean anything. Our wolves wanted it and we allowed it. I could never love him, and he could never love me. It doesn't matter. What matters is that now, we're working together and it's going really well."

Tyler looked unhappy to hear this. "And how do you know he didn't just take advantage of the fact you're sired to him?"

"He didn't. I consented before I turned. I woke up, transitioned, and it happened— why does it matter so much to you? I'm allowed to sleep with whoever I want to sleep with. It's not like I gave him all of our passwords and access to our bank accounts. It was just sex, be a grown up about it! Who gives a shit? I'm trying to tell you how good this is for the pack. Now that we're trying to get along, the hybrids will benefit. He's not invoking the sire bond, Tyler. Not on me or anyone else."

"What happened to you wanting to help the hybrids break their sire bonds?"

"I do still want that. It'll just take time. Right now, as long as he doesn't invoke it, it'll be fine. Eventually when Klaus trusts me more, maybe I can suggest that the hybrids need to learn to turn painlessly so that they can use their wolf form to fight. It's too risky to get started on that right now, because we'd need to sneak the wolves away individually or in small groups and it's just not safe with Klaus watching everyone like a hawk while the pack adjusts. Hell, maybe I'll even be able to tell him the real reason when we're ready for it! I just need to give it time for us to really be friends, so that he will react well to it. We'll get it done, just not yet."

He seemed to want to say something, but whatever it was, he didn't voice it. He turned away, rubbing his chin and trying to keep his negative comments to himself.

"So, how did it go?" she inquired. "Turning all by yourself? I wanted to come with you, but you just left without me. I didn't want you to do it alone."

"It was fine," he said. "I had help."

"What do you mean?"

"Doesn't matter."

Rosalind frowned. "Are you mad at me, Tyler?"

"Yeah, I'm mad," he said. "I left and came back to find you're a hybrid now, working with Klaus, sleeping with him—"

"I am not sleeping with him! It was one time! I don't have feelings for him! I like somebody else, and Klaus is actually helping me with that. You don't get to act all disappointed and ashamed. Go ahead and sue me for being aware and comfortable in my sexuality, no matter who it's with!"

Tyler just sighed harshly. "I'm going to be at Caroline's, laying low. Klaus can't know I'm back in town."

"Fine," said Rosalind. "I'm going to be at Klaus's mansion, checking on the pack. Let me know if you need anything. And— are you even going to tell your mom that you're back?"

"No," said Tyler. "And I'd prefer you didn't mention it to her until I've figured out how to approach Klaus."

Rosalind sighed. "Fine. Just tell me what you decide."

She made her way to the mansion, planning to stay a few hours until she had to go to practice. She sat with the hybrids in the study for awhile, getting to know them and playing some board games like Connect Four and Jenga, as well as card games like Speed and Blackjack. Kimberley still seemed very tense with her, likely because just a day ago she'd been an Alpha, and now she was just a regular member of the pack. Rosalind tried to be respectful with her, but the girl got on her nerves.

When she finished her practice for the day, she called Klaus, and found that he'd had a magnificent day. Esther had come up to Rebekah and had died in her arms. Alaric had revealed the location of the white oak stake, which Rebekah was going to procure from him.

The stake was destroyed the following morning. Klaus was so happy, Rosalind half expected him to sprout wings and fly through the ballroom. The hybrids watched them sparring, all impressed that she was starting to get better at keeping up with him. He still managed to slam her into the ground most times, but there were some instances where she pinned him down. The hybrids seemed to enjoy when that happened, and often took sides. It came to no one's surprise that the majority were cheering on Rosalind.

"Are you still going to the Decade Dance tonight?" asked Klaus when they finished their training session. "Rebekah is forcing me to attend, to see the fruits of her labor."

"Yeah, I'm still going," she said. "Even though it's twenties themed and I'm not too happy with the flapper dress I have. Elena wants me to pick her up. She hasn't let me see what she's going to wear."

"Well, then that means you best make a mark at the event. Sweep her off her feet, literally. This is where the flirting should come in. The touching, the lingering stares..."

"She wants us to go slow and steady, Klaus. I don't want to overwhelm her."

"She's getting shy because it is now very real to her. Make her skin tingle. I'm not saying for you to grab her arse and kiss her neck, I'm saying to hold her waist a bit lower than normal. Look into her eyes and rest your head in the crook of her neck, breathing gently on her skin."

Rosalind grinned. "You are quite the romantic, aren't you?"

He blushed. "I can be. It simply takes a lot of work. Though, I imagine you wouldn't mind going the extra mile for your girl."

"I just don't want to mess it up. It worries me that I'll get ahead of myself because I'm so used to all this, and she's not."

"Well, provided you don't stick your tongue down her throat or anywhere inside of her, you should be good."

"Klaus!"

"What?" He feigned innocence. "It's a true statement, love, don't snap at me."

She made a face at him. "You are ridiculous."

"I am an honest man. Speaking of which... I wanted to ask you something."

She noticed his tone was more serious. "What is it?"

"I don't want to stay in Mystic Falls anymore," he said. "There is nothing left for me here, and I wish to leave. Come with me. Bring Elena and we'll all go live elsewhere with the hybrids."

"Elsewhere? Where exactly is 'elsewhere?'"

"Could be anywhere. I was thinking New Orleans."

"I-I want to stay here," she said honestly. "My aunt is here. Elena's brother is here. Our friends are here. I can't ask Elena to come with me when she hasn't even finished school. I have a job, I made a commitment to the school. I can't leave. And even if I did, Elena wouldn't be able to come along. When are you planning on leaving?"

"Sometime soon. I would like for you to accompany me... considering you are the other Alpha. Our pack will remain stronger and truly united if you are at my side."

Rosalind sighed. "I... I have to think about it."

"You can have a job anywhere you'd like if you really wish to work. Your aunt could come with you. Tell me what needs to be done so you'll come with me, and it will be done."

"I'd like to accompany you, but I have commitments here. I know I have a duty to the pack but I never thought we were going to leave. I thought it was safe to build a relationship. If I'd have known you wanted us to leave, I wouldn't have said anything to Elena."

He raised a brow. "You would have refrained from confessing your feelings if you knew I planned to leave?"

"Yes. To not form attachments. I want to be there for the pack, I do. But I also want to be with her. I.. I promise I'll think about it. I know Elena would want me to thrive even if it isn't while we're in the same city together. I'm sure we could make it work even if it's long distance but... I have to consider all the pros and cons. By when do you want an answer?"

"The end of the week."

She pressed her tongue to the side of her mouth to avoid chewing on her lips. "Okay. I'll give you an answer by then."

She found it hard to think about the dance with thoughts of moving away running through her mind. But she managed enough focus to curl her hair, put on some makeup, and slip into a black flapper dress. She picked some flowers from the garden, tying them into a bouquet and driving to the Gilbert House.

As soon as she knocked, the door opened. Elena was wearing a white flapper dress, and Rosalind dared to scan up her body, smiling when she saw her face. "You look beautiful," she said, offering the bouquet. "These are for you."

"Thank you," said Elena. "Come in, let me find a vase for these." While she went to the kitchen, she said, "So, Jaime is going to be Bonnie's date, and Alaric left town for a bit to clear his head. It seems the herbs Bonnie gave him have been helping."

"That's good," she replied. Elena emerged with a vase, plopping the flowers in and filling it halfway with water. "Ready to go?"

"I am," said Elena brightly. "You look amazing, too."

Rosalind offered her arm, leading her to the car and opening the door for her. She drove them to the school, parking as close to the gym entrance as she could, then escorting her into the dance.

"This is so beautiful," said Rosalind, admiring the decorations. Caroline and Rebekah had outdone themselves. Everyone present seemed to be having a great deal of fun. She could see Bonnie with who she assumed to be Jamie. Matt and Jeremy were restocking drinks at the refreshments table (and sneaking a few shots for themselves from what appeared to be a hidden bottle of liquor). She even saw Caroline with Tyler.

"I didn't know Tyler would be here," said Elena, surprised.

"I didn't know, either," said Rosalind a bit nervously. "Klaus is coming to the dance, Rebekah wanted him to see how it turned out."

"Do you want to go talk to him?"

"No. He was being judgy." She texted Caroline, just so she could claim she had warned him somehow. "Come with me, let's dance."

She spun her around, then pulled her into her arms, trying her best to mimic the people around her. Thankfully, the music switched to a slower song, and Rosalind was able to relax, putting her arm around Elena's waist, the other holding her hand.

For a moment, she just stared at her. Elena kept looking away shyly, her cheeks rosy from how much she was blushing. Rosalind tucked her hand under her chin, tilting her head up so she could look into her eyes.

"What is it?" she asked quietly. "Everything okay?"

"This is the most normal I've felt in awhile," admitted Elena. "Just me and someone I like at a dance. I feel happy. I've always felt comfortable with you. I hadn't realized until now that it could mean so much."

Rosalind brushed some hair out of her face. "I hope I can continue making you happy, Elena. I want this to work, and I want it to last."

"Me, too," whispered Elena.

They held onto each other for the remainder of the song, disconnecting only when Rosalind saw Klaus making his way toward Tyler.

"I'll go get us drinks," offered Elena. "Let's meet back here."

"Got it," said Rosalind, smiling at her and slipping away as she overheard Klaus confronting Tyler.

"That's funny," the Original was saying, "I don't recall giving you permission to leave in the first place."

"Klaus," said Rosalind, sweeping in. "You're here." She grabbed his arm. "Let's go somewhere else, hmm?"

"Did you know he was back in town?" he demanded.

"I did," said Rosalind. "But I'm not required to mention it to you, considering he is first and foremost my cousin."

"Where did you go, mate?" he inquired as Tyler tried to go back to dancing with Caroline. "I suggest you answer with the truth."

"I needed a break from all of this," said Tyler sharply. "I didn't like the way you were leading the pack. But Rosie tells me we have free will now, so you don't get to snap at me for leaving."

Klaus's eye twitched. "Klaus," said Rosalind, tugging harder at his arm. "Come with me, let's go find Rebekah."

The hybrid allowed her to drag him away. She didn't actually know where Rebekah might be, so she simply pulled him outside. "Hey, take a breath. Tyler just needed a moment away from everything. He and Caroline were having problems, Caroline's dad died, and he was just feeling like he didn't belong in his own body. He'll probably rejoin the pack now that he knows I'm helping you lead it."

He scowled, and brought out his phone. "I haven't the faintest idea where my sister is. She made me come to this stupid dance!" He called her, and it went straight to voicemail. "Rebekah, call me back immediately! I only came to this ridiculous dance because you begged me to and now you're nowhere to be found."

As he'd been speaking, he was walking toward the parking lot. He came to a stop when he saw a line of salt on the ground. "What is this?"

"Oh, shit," said Rosalind, seeing it was extending all around the school. "Is someone trying to set a world record for longest line of coke snorted?"

She sensed someone behind them, and turned to see Stefan. "Your mother is back," he told Klaus. "She took Elena."

Rosalind immediately tried to head out of the boundary, but collided with the barrier the salt created. "How did she take her? I was just with her! She went to get drinks!"

"Esther lured her out," said Stefan. "She mentioned something about Alaric. Come on, Bonnie's already trying to break the boundary."

They followed him into a classroom. Damon, Jamie, and Jeremy were already there, watching Bonnie chanting over several candles.

"What's taking so long?" snarled Klaus. "All boundary spells have a loophole."

Matt walked in at that moment. "People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier."

"Matt and I can leave," suggested Jeremy. "We can stop Esther ourselves. We just gotta find out where she is."

"And what are you two going to do against a witch?" asked Rosalind. "What if you try to find out where Esther is instead of breaking the boundary? The hybrids are at the mansion, maybe they stand more of a chance of doing something."

Jeremy held his arm out to Bonnie. "Here, take my blood."

Bonnie first switched to chanting over a map of Mystic Falls. Jeremy spilled his blood over it, and Stefan left to make Caroline and Tyler aware of the situation. Rosalind was pacing, waiting while Bonnie chanted.

"Well?" she asked worriedly. "Anything?"

"No," said Bonnie, her eyebrows furrowed. "Esther is fighting me."

Klaus sneered. "Esther couldn't possibly have this much power. Unless she's channeling something."

"A hotspot?" offered Bonnie.

Klaus narrowed his eyes. "I know where she is." He gestured to Jeremy and Matt. "The Salvatore tomb in the old cemetery. Get weapons and go there, now."

"We'll get some from Ric's classroom," said Jeremy. He left, and Matt followed after him.

"You two," said Bonnie, looking at the hybrids, "Go wait by the boundary. I'm going to try and break through. You'll sense when it happens. As soon as it does, go after them."

Rosalind nodded. She and Klaus went back outside of the school, waiting there like sitting ducks while students walked past them, clueless as could be.

"Damn it," said Rosalind, continuously touching the invisible barrier. "When the hell is this going to break? Maybe I should go back in and let Bonnie channel me or something."

"Do that, and she'll be able to see into your mind," said Klaus. "If I ever let a witch channel me, I have to kill them afterwards."

"Yeah, I figured no one would be allowed to live with your deepest darkest secrets. But I am not killing Bonnie, she's my friend." She slammed her hand against the barrier. "Break already! Surely, there's something I could do to—" her hand sailed right through it, and it she would have fallen flat on her face if Klaus hadn't grabbed her hair and yanked her back into a standing position.

"Ow, what the hell?" she snapped. "Don't pull my hair!"

"You liked it the night of the ball, and from what I can tell, you'll want to do it to your little girlfriend." He winked, then sped away.

Rosalind took a moment to process his words, making a face, then following after him. When they arrived, they found Alaric holding Esther's dead body. Klaus asked no questions as he took her in his arms and went back to the mansion. He assumed Rosalind would explain things to him. Which she was prepared to do, as soon as she figured out what was actually going on.

"Are you okay?" she asked everyone present, rushing to Elena and noticing she was cradling her hand. "What happened?"

"Just a small cut," she admitted. "I'm okay."

Alaric cleared his throat. "Elena, Jeremy, could I talk to you both for a minute? Alone?"

"Of course," said Elena, allowing him to lead her and her brother into the tomb. Matt and Rosalind waited outside, sharing looks and shrugging.

But the truth came to light soon enough. Esther had tried to turn Alaric into an Original, granting him an indestructible white oak stake to be used against her children. He noted that his dark side had been dangerous enough when he was a human. As a vampire, it would be magnified and they would all be in danger.

He didn't want to complete the transition.

As soon as she heard that, the younger hybrid knew she wouldn't be able to leave with Klaus. Not at the end of the week nor in several months from now. Elena, who'd already lost so much, was about to lose the last parental figure she had left.

Rosalind could never leave her behind.

.

A/N: Happy 300 pages! Comment for more :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.7K 2.9K 28
She had hoped that despite her family name leading her down a supernatural path, she'd manage to pull away from it and have a career free of vampires...
682K 19K 92
Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden from in the first place. It seemed her onl...
141K 4.1K 48
After being on the run for five hundred years, all she wanted was to stand over the burning body of the hybrid who tormented her without reason. She...