A Couple of Trials (ZeLink)

By Kenlair

Book 2: The Couple Series **Slightly More Mature** After having defeated the Calamity and reliving the hars... More

Chapter 1: Another Morning, Another Nightmare
Chapter 2: The Inessential Princess
Chapter 3: An Uneasy Restlessness
Chapter 4: Late Night Insecurities
Chapter 5: Meeting with the Mayor
Chapter 6: Weighing Options
Chapter 7: A Task from Purah
Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer
Chapter 9: A Little Chat with Prima
Chapter 10: Shopping Day
Chapter 11: First Day on the Job
Chapter 12: A Simple Test Ride
Chapter 13: Resting Unassured
Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done
Chapter 15: A Twisted Confrontation
Chapter 16: The Balancing Act
Chapter 17: Late Night Practice
Chapter 18: The Weekly Drunken Splurge
Chapter 19: Wallowing in Humiliation
Chapter 21: An Irrational Concern
Chapter 22: The Great Snowball Fight
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Façade
Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields
Chapter 25: A Passionate Traveler
Chapter 26: The Alluring Maid
Chapter 27: The Sick Princess
Chapter 28: A Familiar Face
Chapter 29: The Altercation
Chapter 30: So Close
Chapter 31: A Stubborn Realization
Chapter 32: Celebration Preparation
Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy
Chapter 34: Old Habits
Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight
Chapter 36: The Freezing Point
Chapter 37: Snowed In
Chapter 38: A Challenging Toast
Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization
Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety
Chapter 41: The Royal Beating
Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red
Chapter 43: The Homestead Struggle
Chapter 44: Dire Moments
Chapter 45: Being Better
Chapter 46: The Thread of Life
Chapter 47: Betting on Hope
Chapter 48: Cotera's Blessing
Chapter 49: Making Amends
Chapter 50: Coming to Terms
Chapter 51: The Desire to Heal
Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment
Chapter 53: Mending Connections
Chapter 54: Two Decisions, One Goal
Chapter 55: Personal Journeys Begin
Chapter 56: An Advisor's Heartening
Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities
Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko
Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety
Chapter 60: Welcome to Lurelin
Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing
Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment
Chapter 63: The Precious Ceremony
Chapter 64: A Wish of Luck
Chapter 65: The Trial of the Sword
Chapter 66: An Evening Serenade
Chapter 67: Dealing with the Financial Elite
Chapter 68: An Unrequited Adoration
Chapter 69: The Misty Castle
Chapter 70: The Teachings of Twilight
Chapter 71: The Rumor Mill
Chapter 72: Royal Formalities
Chapter 73: Truth of the Matter
Chapter 74: The Perch of Tabantha
Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard
Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before

Chapter 20: The Second Serving

1.6K 41 92
By Kenlair

"Okay," Zelda exclaimed at the desk. She waved her hair back and forth in front of the Sheikah Slate camera, ensuring that the ponytail she had pulled her hair back into would stay. "I should be perfectly ready for tonight."

"Are you sure you're going to be alright?" Link asked, walking up behind her before placing his hands on the back of her chair.

"Of course, what makes you ask that?" she asked in return, turning off the slate's camera as she turned her body to meet his eyes.

"Well, I can't help but notice you've decided against the usual braid in your hair," he answered. "It's almost as if you're worried something will be spilled in it and it'll be a hassle to clean out again if so."

"Link, I will be fine," Zelda said as she stood from the desk and walked around him with her work dress billowing at her ankles. "I will have everything under control tonight. It's just a... precaution."

"If you say so," he answered, looking over the railing as he watched her hurry down the stairs. "Do you want me to make you any food?"

"I'll eat at the inn, I'm positive Prima will have a lot of food already prepared," Zelda replied as she opened the door. "I'll be back late tonight!"

"Have a good day!" Link yelled as she disappeared into the snow. The moment the door closed behind her, he sighed. "She's most certainly still worried... Hm..."

He looked over to the desk, where the Sheikah Slate remained sitting peacefully on its surface. Deciding to take a seat in the chair Zelda had left empty, he took the device into his hands. After a few taps, in a flash of blue light strings, a black cloak with a white pattern on its back appeared in his hands.

I'm sure she'll be too busy to notice I'm there if it's as busy as it usually is, Link thought to himself as he set the slate down before beginning to inspect the size of the cloak's hood. If Amira and Nikki try anything, I'm sure that I could stop it. Though...

He paused, lowering his hands as he looked down at his knees.

I've been going against her wishes and hiding things from her a lot these past few weeks, haven't I?

After a few moments of painstaking silence, he placed the cloak down on the desk and stood. He walked across the loft and crouched down beside the bed. Reaching under the bed, he wrapped his fingers around the now familiar handle of the now familiar weapon and pulled it out; the burned Windcleaver. He pushed himself to his feet and stared at the curved blade that now glistened in the sunlight. With a deep breath, he turned and sat on the bed sheets.

It's not like I want to lie to her, he continued to tell himself. But since she doesn't believe me, what am I supposed to do? I can barely believe myself at this point.

His grip tightened around the wrapped handle.

I hate it. I hate myself, but, he thought, furrowing his brow. Even if no one believes me... Even if I don't believe myself... on the chance it's true, I have to do what must be done.

With a frown, he leaned down and threw the sword back under the bed. Standing from the bed, he made his way to the staircase, grabbing the cloak off the desk as he passed. He headed down the stairs before following Zelda's footsteps out the door. Turning the moment he stepped out into the snow, he followed the front of the house before stopping in front of the stables, where the muzzle of a chestnut horse greeted him.

Amira and Nikki usually arrive later in the evening from what I remember during my last visit, he told himself as he unhinged Epona's stall gate, allowing her to roam free. For now, I'll focus on those two....

*    *    *    *    *

Much to Zelda's appreciation, Prima hadn't mentioned anything about the night before. In fact, as she walked through the large double doors and into the inn's lobby, the innkeeper simply greeted her just as she did every shift before instantly putting her to work. The morning started just as the one before with immense food and drink preparation, yet this time the snores of the drunkards from the night before echoed throughout the building from upstairs. It also notably took much longer to clean the dining hall today than it had before. It wasn't until the sun had begun to set while the villagers started to rise that was she reminded of the previous night's events. With a yawn, Nack walked down the staircase, rubbing his eyes in order to clear them of whatever sand sat in their corners before looking over to see Zelda standing behind the front desk.

"Good mornin' there, Zelda!" he said cheerfully with a smile as he placed his elbow on the desk's surface. Zelda, who had been staring down at the list of names on the check-in sheet, jumped slightly before looking over at the farmer.

"O-oh... Nack," she stuttered before putting on a nervous smile. "It's good to see you up."

"Good to be up, except it looks like I missed the entire day," he laughed, glancing out one of the windows. "Everythin' all right?"

"Yes! Yes, I apologize," Zelda said quickly, attempting to make her smile more believable. "I'm just really busy. Will you be drinking again with us tonight?"

"Absolutely," Nack said cheerfully, adjusting his straw hat. "I wouldn' miss it for anythin'! I love drinking here with the rest of the town. Actually, I hope I wasn't too drunk and gave you issues last night because of how much fun I was havin'!"

Nack laughed heartily, forcing Zelda to give as best of a chuckle as she could.

"Well, you didn't," she said. "I'm glad to see you'll be having another fun night tonight."

"And I hope it's fun for you as well," the farmer said before beginning to walk away. Before he could reach the dining hall door, however, he turned on his heel. "Say... Um... My wife didn't say anythin' rude to ya last night, did she? I know she and her friend can be a bit of a hassle, so I'd feel bad if—"

Zelda shook her head and tipped Nack the brightest smile she could fake. "It... wasn't anything I couldn't handle."

"You sure? I could probably—" Nack began, yet Zelda violently shook her head for a second time.

"It's okay, I promise," she insisted. "Please, just enjoy your night tonight, okay?"

"If you say so," the farmer responded, and though a concerned look remained in his eyes, he turned and entered the dining hall. The moment he disappeared, Zelda's body released all tension as she let out a big sigh.

"It seems like you're definitely handling it," a voice suddenly echoed through the room, causing Zelda to, again, jump. She looked around before seeing Prima walking down the stairs with a laundry bin full of sheets in hand.

"Why does everyone feel the need to startle me when they enter a room?" Zelda asked, placing a hand to her chest.

"Well, to be fair, you wouldn't get startled if you paid attention to your surroundings," Prima said, placing the basket next to the front desk.

"I do pay attention to my surroundings," Zelda claimed, to which Prima raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, when you aren't lost in thought, that is," Prima replied, "and I'm sorry to say, but you tend to be in your thoughts a lot."

"Okay, maybe," the employee reluctantly admitted, "but, as for your first statement, I am handling it. I have everything under control."

"Really?" Prima asked. After a short pause, she added, "I see you prepared your hair this time."

Zelda groaned.

"Am I really that easy to read?" she asked, bringing her hand to her ponytail.

"Only to those who've gotten to know you," Prima chuckled. "Still, I'm sorry about yesterday. I know those two ladies can be rude, but I didn't expect them to resent you so much."

"Prima, I told you that nothing happened between me and—" Zelda began to argue, yet the look in Prima's eyes told her there wasn't any point in lying.

"I'll take care of serving those two tonight," Prima said. "I'll also be limiting their number of drinks, whether they like it or not."

"You can't do that," Zelda said. "I told Link the same thing last night. If you take my place, then I'm just running away and letting others deal with my problems. I would just be proving them right, and not only that, but that would make you look as if you're taking sides."

"It's not like I mind what they think of me or not—" Prima began, but Zelda shook her head.

"This inn is supposed to be the best in Hyrule, right?" she asked. "Anything can ruin a good name, especially if you show... gossip mongers... that you aren't. I've... already ruined the credibility of one title before, and I can't be the reason another one is ruined."

Their eyes remained locked. After a few moments, though, Prima folded her arms and sighed. It was clear that there was something behind Zelda's reasoning that was more personal than she was letting on.

"If you're going to insist on serving them, then there isn't much I can do about it," she said, "but, make sure you tell me if they get to be too much for you, all right? There's no shame in that."

"I will," Zelda said.

With that, Prima lifted the bin of sheets from the floor and began walking away.

I know that I said all that, Zelda thought as she watched Prima disappear between the inn's front doors, but I wish I actually had a plan for tonight.

For the next hour, she continued to rack her brain for ideas as she went on about her normal duties. Though as twilight dimmed, Zelda grew more and more worried. Drinking hours were to begin shortly and she hadn't been able to come up with any plan whatsoever.

Soon, those who hadn't rented a bed from the night before started appearing in the dining hall, waiting for the event to begin. As the regular duties for the day were finished and stars began to appear in the sky, with a pep in her step, Prima hurried into the hall, ready to take her place at the cooking counter, followed by a cheer from those who were waiting at the tables. With a fun twirl, she stopped in front of the counter, followed shortly after by a noticeably less peppy Zelda.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Prima asked as Zelda grabbed a tray off the counter.

"Honestly, no," she said, choosing to be transparent, "but, I'll figure it out as I go, and hope that it simply works itself out."

"That's not an idea I thought someone like you would come up with," Prima said with a raised eyebrow.

"That's because I didn't come up with it," Zelda admitted. "It's actually one of Link's, and it's usually the plan that surprisingly gives him the best results."

"I see... well," Prima said as she set a few mugs of Hylian ale onto the tray, "I wish you the best of luck."

"T-thanks," Zelda replied before hurrying into the sea of villagers. The innkeeper watched as her employee disappeared into the ever-growing mass before sighing.

Looks like I may have to do something, after all, she thought to herself as she scanned the room. I can't just sit there and wait for her to get bullied. Once Amira and Nikki arrive I'll—

Prima's thoughts immediately stopped. She stared at the wall opposite her, where the door that led out to the large balcony in the front of the building had opened just a crack. Quickly and stealthily, a small, hooded figure slipped inside before closing the door and quickly disappearing into the mass. The innkeeper grinned to herself.

There's only one person that can climb over that balcony fence. Maybe I'll see how this plays out, after all, she told herself before grabbing a mug. Filling it with warm milk, she disappeared into the mass as well, before quickly locating a table near the back where the inconspicuous figure had seated themself. It was a table that was coincidentally close to the one the two gossipers usually sat on. With the grin remaining on her face, she walked up and placed the warm milk on the visitor's table.

"A fine evening for a drink, isn't it, little knight?" Prima asked. The hooded Hylian glanced up.

"Huh? N-no, I'm not—" the customer began. The innkeeper snorted.

"Please, I notice everything that happens in this inn," she answered. "Plus, you and Zelda are the only ones who are that short, besides the children, that is."

"Right. Well, you must know why I'm—" he began as he took the mug into his hands, but Prima had already started to turn away.

"Try not to make a scene," she called before disappearing into the crowd, leaving him alone at the table.

"Yeah... I'll do my best," he said quietly before bringing the mug to his lips.

*    *    *    *    *

The night continued just as it had the night before. After a few hours the crowd had grown and Bolson, just like before, had appeared in a burst of confetti, something that Prima, again, did not appreciate. Slowly, the cheers and music grew louder as the alcohol continued to be served, with Zelda barely able to keep up.

It seems busier than it was yesterday, though Manny doesn't seem to be here today, she thought to herself as she weaved through the villagers. It wasn't long before her eyes noticed the two familiar ladies strolling in from the dining hall entrance. With a swallow, she took a deep breath. Well... It had to happen eventually. Here goes nothing.

As soon as the gossipers sat at their seats, Zelda appeared at the tableside.

"Welcome back," she said with a bow. "What might I get you two this evening?"

"I'm sure Prima already has our usuals prepared for tonight," Amira said saltily. "Just as it was yesterday."

"Of course, I'll be back momentarily then," Zelda answered. With another bow, she turned and disappeared back into the crowd.

"You would have thought she would put things together by now," Nikki began. "Obviously Prima would have our wines ready, just as they were before."

"We both know how that girl is," Amira replied, "and she's still keeping up that front, I see."

From a few tables over, the hooded man's pointed ears twitched. Gripping his mug handle tighter than before, he brought it to his lips before taking another sip.

I'm here to make sure nothing happens, he told himself. That's all. Don't cause a scene... Don't cause a scene...

"There goes Bolson making a scene... and it looks like my husband is completely wasted, again," Nikki complained, shaking her head as she glanced around the room. "It's busier than it was yesterday– and louder."

"It must be, because that girl is taking too long with our drinks," Amira complained.

"She's completely useless," Nikki replied. "Prima was faster by herself. To think she took on help, and it only slowed her down."

Suddenly, Zelda appeared at the tableside with two glasses of wine on her tray.

"Here we are," she said as cheerfully as she could, setting the glasses on the table noticeably away from the edge. "Please enjoy."

Almost as soon as she had arrived, she disappeared into the crowd once more. The ladies scoffed.

"Did you see that?" Nikki complained. "Look how quickly she disappeared! Didn't even wait to see if we had another request."

"She must not want us to see that ugly side of her," Amira said, taking the glass into her hand.

The man a few tables away slammed his mug down onto the table, which didn't go unnoticed by the gossipers.

"Is he drunk too?" Amira asked as they glared at him. "Who is that?"

"I can't see his face with that hood. Must be a traveler," Nikki answered. "A rude one."

With a snort, the two turned back to their table, and in a matter of only an hour, the number of drinks they had downed had increased to the point their cheeks were red.

"There she goes again, being late with our drinks," Amira mumbled as she rapped her fingers against the table. "You would've thought she'd have learned from yesterday."

"Will you be punishing her like you did yesterday?" Nikki asked. The supposed traveler from the other table, who had finished his mug of milk a while ago, tilted his head.

"I doubt she'd fall for something like that again," Amira said. "Unless..."

"Unless?" Nikki questioned.

"We could force her to bring out that angry side of her," she clarified. "Then we can see the true controlling side of her."

"Well, I'll follow your lead, just as before," Nikki said with a tiny hiccup. The eavesdropper gritted his teeth.

They didn't say what they were going to do, he thought to himself, but, I can't step in and stop it with force, it'll only put Zelda in a bad spot and it'll make her upset if she finds out I came.

"There she is," Nikki said, noticing Zelda heading through the crowd with more glasses of wine on her tray. The moment she stopped in front of the table, she quickly placed the drinks down. Just as she turned to head away, however, Amira called out to her.

"You know, you've been awfully skittish, girl," she said, causing Zelda to turn around.

"Excuse me?" she asked, thoroughly confused.

"Don't excuse me," Amira said. "You haven't done anything you're supposed to."

"S-supposed to?" Zelda questioned. "I apologize, but was there something you wanted? I-I've brought you your drinks..."

"You know, she has a point," Nikki said, ignoring the question. "You've done nothing but hurry in and out. It's as if you don't want to serve us."

"W-what?" Zelda asked, taking a step back.

"Look at you, you're trying to escape us even now!" Amira said, getting slightly louder. "Trying to back away. What kind of service girl are you?"

"I—Well, um..." Zelda stuttered. "I— I didn't think you'd want me around that much, so—"

"Are you calling us rude?" Nikki asked suddenly. "Are you claiming that we're difficult to serve?"

"I... I..." Zelda murmured, eyes unable to look at the two, despite her efforts.

"So that is what you're saying," Amira said, standing from her chair. She took a step forward, towering over the short waitress.

"No! No that's not–" Zelda again tried to explain, yet the lady pointed a finger at her.

"You're lying," she said with squinted eyes. "Why don't you go ahead and show us that real side of you. Go on."

"R-real side?" Zelda repeated.

"Yes, tell the truth," she pressed. "You don't like us, and not only that, but you don't think you could actually fit in here do you?"

"What?" Zelda exclaimed. "I-I'm sorry, but I don't understand—"

"You stupid girl!" Nikki said, now standing herself. "She's asking you basic questions. Can you not think for yourself and answer them? And don't lie!"

"Lie...? But... but, all I want is to fit in here," Zelda said in a small voice. "That's why I've been working so hard..."

"Working hard? You?" Amira asked. "Let me tell you what I think your working hard truly is—"

"Bolson!" a sudden voice shouted loudly over the crowd. "What are you doing? Aren't you supposed to be the life of the party?"

"What was that?" Bolson, who was also red in the cheeks, called from the center of the room. "Is someone challenging my grace?"

"Come on!" the voice shouted. "Bring the real party!"

"Well then!" Bolson said with a grin. Suddenly, the older man jumped onto the center table. "Everyone! You know what to do! Play my song!"

Suddenly, the music in the room became louder and faster as Bolson began to dance on the tabletop. Cheers roared from the crowd before people soon began to follow suit, finding partners and dancing as the music continued. While dancing pairs were being passed around between the mass, Amira and Nikki both clasped their hands over their ears.

"Ugh, what is this? Who riled that man up?" Amira asked, looking around, yet suddenly, she felt a grip on her arm.

"Care to dance?" someone spoke behind her ear.

Recognizing it as the same voice that had shouted over the room, Amira attempted to turn and see who it was, but before she could even get a glimpse of the person she felt herself being yanked away before vanishing into the crowd. She had been pulled away so fast, Zelda and Nikki had seen nothing but a blur. Confused, Nikki looked around.

"Amira?" she shouted over the crowd. "Amira! Where did you–?"

"Don't think I forgot you. You're coming too."

The woman screamed, having heard the voice suddenly breathe behind her into her ear as well. She waved her arms before trying to turn, but just like Amira, she too was quickly dragged into the crowd in a blur, leaving Zelda standing alone at the now empty table completely confused.

What in Hylia's name...? She thought as she looked around. It wasn't until she noticed the hooded traveler appear from out of the crowd and sit back at the table he had been at did she realize what had happened. Oh... I thought that voice sounded familiar.

With a sigh, Zelda pushed her way through the crowd before making her way to Prima, who had slowed down her drink-making.

"Can I get a mug of warm milk?" she asked, holding out her tray.

"Warm milk instead of ale? Who requested that?" Prima asked curiously. The employee smiled tiredly.

"I was hoping this one could be a... gift," she said.

With a raised eyebrow, Prima shrugged and complied, making the mug before placing it on Zelda's tray. With a nod of the head in thanks, she disappeared back into the crowd, leaving her boss alone for her thoughts to wander.

"So she found out anyway, huh?" she chuckled to herself. "Well... Technically he didn't make a scene."

Zelda weaved her way through the crowd, avoiding the couples now dancing awkwardly with alcohol heavily in their systems, before finally stopping at the table where the lone traveler sat. Gently, she placed the mug of warm milk down in front of him.

"I—uh— didn't order that," he said, still hiding his face under his hood.

"I know. It's on the house," Zelda responded. With a tiny smile, she bent down before leaning in under his hood to plant a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, Link."

After a quick pause, Link coughed before pulling his hood further down to hide his face even more.

"How'd you know it was me?" he asked.

"Because only you could find a way to save me without proving those women right... somehow," Zelda giggled. "Besides, technically, I did anticipate something like this happening."

"Really?" Link asked.

"Let's just say, I decided to be like you and decided to... test fate, if you will," she said with a smile, "and it looks as though fate was on my side tonight. What did you do to them?"

"Oh, you know," Link shrugged. "Nothing much. I just kinda left them to be passed off between drunk dancing partners. With how many wines those two downed, they won't be escaping anytime soon."

"That is definitely a you thing to do," Zelda laughed before sighing. "I'd love nothing more than to sit down and enjoy the evening with you, but I have to get back to work now. If you'll excuse me."

With an obviously exaggerated curtsy, Zelda turned and disappeared into the crowd, leaving Link alone with his milk.

"Well," he said, taking the mug by the handle, "she took that better than I expected."

** Chapter 20 Illustration by Lunarartistry13 (Twitter and Instagram)**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459K 15K 43
"You will aid the hero during his journey in defeating Calamity Ganon." That was the order that was given to you by goddess Hylia. Although the godde...
527 13 4
His motions were a subtle but steady pushing, an undulation of that warm frame behind her. His steady hand just over her hip was dimpling her nightsh...
74.3K 2.5K 22
Link grew up his whole life believing that he was the Prince of the Gerudo. His whole life changes, however, when he is put in charge of deciding a y...
6.3K 92 14
This story depicts Link and Zelda's struggles to maintain a balance in their lives, with which they can fulfill their responsibilities and also enjoy...