Redamancy | Elena Gilbert

By SprintingFox

One seemed to know everything about love, while the other couldn't claim any experience with it. What was sup... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Final Author's Note

Chapter 14

3.1K 152 35
By SprintingFox

Mason was standing beside Damon.

"Oh, goody," said Damon when he sensed her presence. "The little she-wolf is here."

Rosalind didn't care that there were people— humans who were oblivious to the existence of wolves, vampires and witches— all over the restaurant. She bolted forward past a waiter and crashed into her father's body, her arms tight around him and head resting on his shoulder.

"Is this real?" she whispered, sensing that he was holding the back of her head. "Are you really here?"

"I'm here, Ro," he said, kissing her hair. "I'm here."

She drew back to examine his face. "But how? How is this possible? It's been months. Half a year... and yet you're flesh and blood..."

"Long story short," said Damon (with the intent of being helpful, apparently), "Bonnie screwed up a spell to send away Vicki Donovan after she almost barbecued Elena last night. Now, all the ghosts are able to interact with the living and we can see them. Only way to fix it is to destroy that stupid little necklace Stefan gave to Elena." He gestured to a spot of blood on his forehead. "Your dad smashed a glass into my head just moments before you arrived."

"I would pay to see the moment again," piped up Alaric, who was on the other side of Damon. He tapped the vampire's arm. "You know, why don't we—?" He tried to get him to move aside.

"No," said Mason. "We can have our moment soon, but not now. There is something we all need to talk about. First things first, though..."

"Let's get to it," said Damon, having an idea what he was going to say. "I killed you, you want revenge. Get in line. Your kid's been a pain in my ass, she's higher on the list than you. Though, I guess that does count as one spot."

"Actually," said Mason, "I want an apology."

Alaric laughed dryly. "Good luck with that."

"Why don't you stick with haunting your family?" said Damon. "You know, your nephew has turned into a mindless hybrid minion, and your little girl came to me a week ago needing help with getting rid of a body because she triggered her curse."

"That's why I'm here," said Mason. "To help Rosalind and Tyler."

"Well, sorry to break it to you, buddy, but they can't be helped. At least not while Klaus is alive. Which is, like, always."

Mason smirked. "Not necessarily. Not if you found a weapon that could kill him."

Rosalind glanced over at him. "And you wouldn't happen to know about that weapon... would you?" He grinned in response. "So, you do."

Damon drummed his fingers on the table. "Okay, you've got my attention. What do you know?"

"I know you need to apologize," said Mason.

The vampire groaned. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"It's a very simple thing to ask of you," replied the wolf. "You killed me, took me away from my daughter. Apologize."

He continued to resist, making faces as the bourbon in his hands. "Are you incapable of remorse?" hissed Alaric. "Just apologize!"

Damon scrunched up his face and forced out, "You're right. I didn't have to kill you. I do a lot of things I don't have to do."

Rosalind stared at him. "You ripped my father's heart out, left him in the woods for anyone to find, and then your brother lied to me about who killed him, leading to a chain reaction of me losing everyone I cared about and now, I'm a fucking werewolf. That was not an apology."

Mason squeezed her shoulder. "Actually, that's good enough for me, Ro. For now." He gestured to Damon. "Meet me at the old Lockwood cellar. Bring a shovel." His eyes flickered toward Alaric. "Come alone."

"What, you're going to bury me alive?" said Damon.

"Don't tempt me," replied Mason. "Come on, Ro."

He led her out of The Grill. "That wasn't an apology," said Rosalind, frustrated. "He killed you. Somehow, you're back, and your first response isn't to bash his head in and murder him, too? He ruined our lives. He tore our family apart. It's because of him that Jules and everyone else died."

Mason stopped in his tracks, standing in front of her and cupping her face. "Rose," he said more gently, "We can't undo what happened, no matter how much we both wish it went differently. I didn't want to die, I didn't want to leave you. And knowing that they tried to convince you that I abandoned you made me feel furious. But I've had months on the Other Side to be alone, watching over you, seeing you suffer, and I don't want you to be consumed with this desire for revenge. Klaus is going to use that against you. He is the one that has to die. You know, I always told you to be careful with people 'cause while some may be nice, some of them only want one thing from you. He's one of those people, but worse. He'll take and take and he'll make you dependent on him, subservient to him. He's trying to shatter the fight in you right now, but if that doesn't work, as I suspect it won't, he'll simply twist it and wield you like a weapon. He'll see your desperation, use it, and turn you into a cold-blooded killer to suit his own needs."

"Like in the Star Wars prequels," mumbled Rosalind.

"Exactly," said Mason. "The Rosalind I knew didn't bow to anyone. And I won't let you be overcome by your own rage, because it'll just turn you into a version of yourself that you'll hate. You'll never recover from it."

"I'm scared," she said, her eyes watering. "I'm scared about my first full moon. I-I want to be able to get used to it so that I won't ever cave and ask Klaus to turn me but I'm so afraid, I don't want to feel pain, I don't want to suffer like that. I don't know what to do."

"Yes, you do, Ro," he said. "You have been helping Tyler for months. You know the process, you just need to follow it through for yourself. Chains, diluted wolfsbane. Focus on your breathing. And know that even when the pain becomes too much, you can handle it. It'll feel like you can't, but you were made for this, your body won't die from it. You gotta trick your mind into thinking everything is okay. Focus on the finish line, on your goal. Being in wolf form. Picture that in your mind, help your own bones break. Push through, let it all in, and just... turn. Your first time is going to hurt like a bitch but it will get easier. You just have to trust in yourself and your own strength."

"I want you to be there with me," she whispered. "I wanted you to talk me through it in the moment."

"I know, sweetheart," he replied, running a hand down her face. "And I wanted to be there. I will be there... you just might not be able to see me or hear me or feel me. But I will be watching over you. I'll always be there. And one day, we'll see each other again, right? I have to hold onto that hope. Come on, let's get to the cellar, we'll find out if I'm right about this weapon to kill Klaus, and with any luck... you will be safe."

"Dad," she said as they began to walk again. "You were trying to keep us safe last time and you ended up dying. I'm worried. I don't trust Damon, I haven't ever trusted him. I only needed his help one time and he was fairly nice but I don't feel safe with him anywhere."

"Don't be, Ro," he said with a smile. "If there's one thing I know about Damon Salvatore, it's that he loves his brother almost as much as I love you. As long as this stands to benefit Stefan, he will work with us."

They arrived at the cellar soon after. Rosalind showed him where there were already lanterns prepared, since he said they would need some for this little quest. Damon arrived minutes later, holding a shovel.

"You showed up," said Mason, mildly impressed.

"You put a snag in my only other Klaus lead," said Damon. "So I'd say I'm highly motivated."

"Mikael?" said Mason. "Yeah. That didn't turn out so great, did it?"

Damon made a face. "How do you know so much?"

"There's not much to do on the Other Side but sit around and watch other people screw things up." He tapped a brick wall beside him. "So, there's an old Lockwood family legend about a weapon that can kill an Original vampire. Like the rest of their secrets, they kept it buried."

He took the shovel from Damon, slamming it into the wall to try and break it. Nothing happened.

"Oh, come on," said Damon, "give me the thing. Move."

Mason handed him the shovel. Using his vampire strength, Damon slammed the shovel into the wall, breaking a large hole into it. "Ladies first," said Damon, urging Rosalind forward with her lantern.

"How about immortals first?" she said. "If I die, it falls on you to explain to everyone how you were too cowardly to go in first. That won't win you any points."

Damon rolled his eyes. "Have I ever told you how much you annoy me?"

"Have I ever told you how much I dislike you? Go in."

"I'll go," offered Mason, holding the lantern out in front of him. "I'm already dead. Nothing here can hurt me."

Damon followed after him, and Rosalind took up the rear. They moved through the dark tunnels little by little, listening to the gentle dripping of water. Rosalind had no idea where it was coming from.

"I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop," said Damon. "Your motives are deceptively pure."

"You talk the talk, but I know you'll do anything for your brother," said Mason from up ahead. "You won't screw me over as long as we have the same agenda."

"I'm supposed to believe you're not going to screw me over?"

"I'm in this for my daughter, you're in this for your brother... for their sakes, we can't screw each other over. It helps no one."

They came to a stop when they saw the path went in two different directions. "Great," said Rosalind, holding up her lantern to try and see if the shadows would reveal anything. "Which way do we go?"

"We ought to flip a coin," suggested her father. "I don't know which path is the right one."

Damon snorted. "Aren't you supposed to be all-knowing?"

"I'm a ghost," said Mason. "Not a god. Go left."

Of course, the vampire went the other way. "Or not," said Mason. "You have trust issues. Anyone ever tell you that?"

Suddenly, there was a snapping noise, and several wooden poles shot out full force at Damon, impaling him all over his chest and abdomen. Somehow, his heart was spared. He tried to remove the poles, but he yelped when he felt they had vervain on them.

"Oh, I'm having a bad day," groaned Damon.

"Stay still," said Rosalind. She kicked at the pole nearest her foot, snapping it in half and pulling out the part that was impaled in Damon. Her father used the bottom of the lantern to help break through the other poles, and together, they freed him.

"What's your game, man?" asked Damon when Mason ended up in front of him. "I killed you. I jammed my fist into your chest. I ripped your heart out. There's no way this whole buddy-trust act is real."

Mason sighed. "You know what the Other Side is like? We're all alone. We watch the people we left behind and we regret our decisions. That's it. Look, I can't change what happened to me. But maybe I can change what happens to Rosalind and Tyler. I don't need revenge, Damon. I need redemption."

Damon was silent for a moment as the two Lockwoods walked ahead of him, continuing down the tunnel. "Just promise me one thing," said Mason. "You don't hurt my daughter."

"I'm more concerned your kid is gonna kill me one of these days," muttered Damon.

"Ro knows not to do anything unless you deserve it. Right, Ro?"

"Right," she said. "Told you the other day, Damon, we're even... for now. The situation can change very easily if you get on my nerves."

"Noted," murmured Damon. There was a sudden thump. "God! This is not happening."

"What now?" asked Mason as he and Rosalind stopped.

"I can't get through," said Damon, bumping into an invisible barrier. "It's like I'm not invited in. Wait!"

Mason had continued walking up ahead. "I'm not stopping just 'cause you're stuck. I'll let you know what we find."

"Yeah, but—"

He shrugged. "Looks like you're gonna have to trust me."

Rosalind decided to lead the way this time, holding her lantern high. A few steps later, around the corner, the tunnel widened into a large cave. "Woah," she said, scanning several symbols written on the walls. They looked like they were written in chalk, but as she got closer, she realized they were carved in.

"So?" asked Damon. "What'd you find?"

"Ro," said Mason suddenly. "Hey. I love you, you know?"

She turned to face him with a small smile. "I know. And I love—"

The lantern he was holding fell to the floor, and when she blinked, he was gone. "You," she finished, her own arm falling.

"What happened?" asked Damon, frustrated. "Why aren't you answering me?"

"He's gone," said Rosalind softly. "Bonnie must have sent the ghosts away." She knelt down to touch the broken lantern, and could have sworn she felt a cold sensation on her hand, as if her father's hand was there, too. "I'm going to miss you. Until we meet again."

Damon was silent. Rosalind cleared her throat and announced, "There are a lot of runes here and symbols. Looks like a Viking script, I don't know. Alaric will probably be better at decoding all this. I need a minute."

She stepped back out and quickly exited the tunnels. She climbed out of the cellar and onto the forest floor, drawing a deep breath as the fresh air entered her lungs. She leaned down, holding onto her knees, and closed her eyes until she was sure she wouldn't start to cry.

"I'm okay," she told herself. "I'm okay."

She didn't feel like returning to the tunnels anymore that night. Alaric let her know he'd go and check it out with Damon, and that they'd call her in the morning if there were any developments.

Elena called her before she went to bed in the evening.

"Hey," said the doppelgänger. "Are you okay? Alaric told me you saw your dad."

Rosalind turned on her side, hugging her pillow. "I'm fine. It was... not something I expected would happen today. But it surprised me that I didn't like, full-on sob. In some way, I've healed. And I'm healing every day that passes. It felt good to hear him giving me advice about the full moon. I didn't think I was going to get that. It sucks I won't be able to see him when it happens, but... at any rate, I feel better about it. I just hope that Alaric is able to figure out how that cave can help us kill Klaus. I don't want Klaus to turn me. He'll take advantage of everything. My dad thinks he'll use my anger so I can be like a weapon for him. Kind of like turning me into his personal Darth Vader."

"We're not going to let Klaus hurt you or anyone else," said Elena confidently. "We're going to free Tyler and Stefan of his control and we're going to save you from ever being sired to him. I promise... to the best of my abilities."

Rosalind half-smiled. "Oh, um... I heard Lexi came back. How did that go?"

"She helped a lot. It's a lot to stomach but I think, with a few days in the Forbes cellar, Stefan will start to feel more."

"Just remember he was compelled to turn it off. I think to a certain extent that might hinder the process."

"I know. Which is why it's so important we kill Klaus. The compulsion will end. One more thing... those tomb vampires I told you about in the past, they came back and they killed Tobias Fell. Your aunt was also attacked."

She sat up. "She was? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"Caroline healed her and put her to bed earlier, so she must have been asleep when you arrived. She's okay, don't worry."

"Today has just been... such a day. And I have work tomorrow, ugh. It'll be so boring."

"Well, I have a way to make it not boring. Alaric thinks we should go into the cave bright and early, take pictures of the symbols, and print everything out. Maybe you could come with us?"

"That would be nice. I am eager to see what all of that means. My Aunt Carol really wants me to go to college. Maybe this will interest me enough and I'll become an archaeologist or something."

"And then, you can find new dinosaur bones and name them after yourself."

"Ah yes, there will be the mighty T-Rex and the velociraptor and then... the Lockwood."

Elena giggled. "Sounds pretty scary. Anyway, ah... I'll let you get some sleep. Goodnight, Rosalind."

"Goodnight, Elena," she replied before hanging up. She set the phone onto her nightstand, holding the pillow closer to her chest, hoping sleep wouldn't escape her.

She managed to rest that night, which was a blessing she hadn't anticipated. As soon as she was dressed for work, she made for the woods, and met Elena, Alaric, and Damon at the entrance to the tunnels.

"What do you make of all this?" Rosalind asked Alaric as they finally arrived in the cave. "The symbols, the invisible barrier that's keeping Damon out...?"

"The ancient Lockwoods were definitely anti-vampire," said Damon helpfully from behind the doorway.

"The runes are a story, I think," said Alaric to actually answer her question. "In simple, archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story." He pointed to a particular patch on the wall. "That right there is the moon cycle." He pointed toward another drawing. "A man, a wolf."

"Werewolf," deduced Elena.

"Yeah," Damon piped up. "It's the 'Lockwood Diaries: Pictionary-Style.'"

"I don't understand," said the doppelgänger. "I thought the Lockwoods came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s?"

"I don't know," said Alaric with a shrug. "Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, these werewolves have been here a lot longer than that."

"So," figured Rosalind, "someone or several someone's in the Lockwood family got friendly with the wolves and it introduced the gene into the family. I'm hoping that ancient werewolves were just as human-esque as me... 'cause otherwise my ancestors were some kinky and freaky little bastards." She pointed at one column of runes. "Those seem to be words, not pictures. Any idea what they say?"

"Yes," said Alaric. "They're names, not native. You were right about it being a Viking script." He pointed up with his flashlight. "This name here, I translated it and it reads Niklaus."

Elena gasped. "Klaus."

He moved the light, "And Elijah..." he shined the light in a different place, "and Rebekah."

"What about the other names?" asked Rosalind. "There are more."

"They're the names of the Original Family," said Alaric. "Carved into a cave that's been here since way before the founding of Mystic Falls. Or even the entire New World, for that matter. Parents up top, then the kids... not sure if the order is right, but it shows the names Finn and Kol, too."

Elena rubbed her forehead. "Okay, this has gotta be one of Klaus's fakes."

"That's what I said," Damon noted.

"That could be true," Alaric replied, "except the last name up here made us think otherwise. It's beside what I assume to be the mother's name, which was Esther."

Rosalind wasn't liking the suspense. "And what's the name?"

"Mikael."

"Mikael?" said Elena. "Mikael, as in, the vampire hunter who knows how to kill Klaus?"

"Yep," said Damon. "I now like to call him 'Papa Original.'"

Rosalind crossed her arms. "Damn. So that guy is Rebekah and Elijah's dad but not Klaus's, right?"

"Yes," replied Elena. "Elijah said their mother had an affair with a werewolf."

"Cool. Think Klaus will get offended if I joke that I'll fuck his dad?"

Damon snorted. "And you thought only your ancestors were kinky, freaky bastards."

She shrugged. "I've learned it catches people off-guard. I love pulling that line. If we need to distract the guy, I guaranteehe's going to be at a loss for words if I say I'll fuck his dad."

"You are nasty," said Damon. "I like it. I would pay to see Klaus's face if you actually had the balls to tell him that."

"You think I won't? I'll tell him I'll fuck his whole family, just to piss him off."

Alaric made a face. "Well, you got one down. Without including Klaus, it seems you have..." he counted, "five more to go."

"Perfect. I'll add it to my to-do list."

"Just one note," said Alaric, "it might not be best to say that as soon as you see him again. He's torturing you enough as it is."

Rosalind put her hands on her hips. "There is nothing the guy can do that is worse than what's currently happening to me. The prospect of braving a full moon because his desire to make me hurt is greater than his desire to have me as his little servant is stressful as hell. He wants to torture me? I'll torture him right back. He wants to leave me as a wolf for a couple of full moons? I'll fuck one of his family members for each full moon he makes me go through. I'll make him so uncomfortable and leave him so confused that he'll be the one begging me to give him relief, not the other way around. I have this beautiful image of him on his knees in front of me, pleading for me to stop talking. He wants to break me, he wants to try and control me, but he's gonna learn that I control other people. And they enjoy it."

Elena looked almost flustered to hear this. Alaric and Damon were simply pleased with the mental image of Klaus on his knees like a puppy in front of Rosalind, of all people. They knew she was only partially serious, because it was unlikely the other Originals would be as receptive to her advances as Rebekah. Still, it was funny to think about.

"You have a death wish," said Damon thoughtfully as Alaric started to take pictures of all the little clusters of drawings. "But, I will pay big money if you ever get Klaus to bow down for you."

Rosalind curtsied playfully. "If I die, I am going down swinging. And if I live, it'll be because I brought him down."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317K 8.6K 96
"𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙨𝙩 𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙞𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝙥𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙠𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙘𝙤𝙧𝙣𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙡𝙞𝙛𝙚," Rosamarie Petro...
24.8K 1.3K 28
After being released from the worst prison imaginable, she was tasked with a murder she knew she could never bring herself to carry out. Rather than...
978K 18.2K 25
In a small town called mystic falls Nina Gilbert , her twin brother Jeremy and her older sister Elena are grieving over the loss of their parents. No...
1.3M 39.5K 51
"You don't pick who you fall in love with and it never happens as it should." ---- *Disclaimer I don't own any of The Vampire Diaries characters. All...