Crystallized Truth

Por EinfaAsshi

In an age of technology of extensive discoveries, Dehradun is a city in India defying science and nature ever... Más

Prologue
Cast & Intro
Chapter 1 - Welcome To Dehradun
Chapter 2 - Meeting Eachother
Chapter 3 - A Bad Start
Chapter 4 - Weird Relations
Chapter 5 - Bonfire and Fireworks
Chapter 6 - Stirring Feelings
Chapter 7 - Stirring Hearts
Chapter 8 - Art of Closeness
Chapter 9 - Dinner and Darkness
Chapter 10 - Attack
Chapter 11 - Trailer
Chapter 12 - Surprisingly Surprise
Chapter 13 - New Ways
Chapter 13 (b) - New Ways
Chapter 14 - Scary Thoughts
Attention!!
Chapter 15 - Cold Evening
Chapter 16 - Liability
Chapter 16(b) - Setting stage
Chapter 17 - Slice of Truth
Chapter 18 - Arc
Chapter 19 - First Step
Chapter 20 - Confusion and Surprises
Chapter 21 - Search for Facts
Chapter 22 - Icy Flames
Chapter 22|b| - Icy Flames
Chapter 23 - A Key
Chapter 24 - Killer Power
Chapter 25 - Silver Lining
Chapter 26 - Behind the Scene
Chapter 27 - Unrecognizable World
Chapter 28 - Chocolate and Blood
Chapter 29 - Shifting Shades
Chapter 30 - Bridges to Cross
Chapter 31 - Suffocating Thoughts
Chapter 32 - Cunning of Fox
Chapter 33 - Battling Each Other
Chapter 35 - Acquaintance of Past
Chapter 36 - A New Twist

Chapter 34 - Murderer or Not

131 13 30
Por EinfaAsshi

"Are you okay?"

Ashley lifted his head, tired grey eyes stared at her, face blank and silent.

"Why this particular inquiry?" Ashley asked turning back to his orange cake, slicing a piece nonchalantly.

"Well, maybe because of your choice of breakfast?" Ava answered back easily. She took a bite of her sandwich as she stared at Ashley for response.

Who eats Cake for breakfast?

Certainly not someone like Ashley who had fit figure and usually avoid sugary confections. It was something not Ashley. No, not at all.

She knew the poor thing was upset for various reasons, some she knew and some she could only imagine.

"I like oranges and as there was no orange, I got the second best things," Ashley said pointing at the slice of cake l he was eating leisurely, he sounded too relax and sure to be lying but Ava just couldn't bring herself to believe his words.

He was worried about something, that was for sure even if he wasn't willing to inform her.

"I never saw you eating either one ever," Ava insisted placing the fork on her empty place and looking at him intently.

"Never?" Ashley frowned tilting his head as if thoughtful.

Ava folded her arms over table waiting patiently for him to say anything to explain his unusual behavior.

Ashley relaxed and gave her indulging smile before turning back to his cake. "That's easy. How many times did you see me at breakfast before?" Ashley questioned smugly.

Eyes widening, Ava stared at him. There was surely something wrong with Ashley. He never sounded so reasonable. Never ever. This behavior was not so Ashley.

"You're worried about something aren't you?" Ava accuses rather than answering, eyes narrowed at his relax figure even if he was right and reasonable for once, she knew he was hiding himself.

She noticed the way he paused for a second, body going rigid, before he relaxed once again and stared her lazily. And that made her believe it was stress eating rather than choice.

"Who isn't worried about nothing? I mean since we came here when did nothing cause us worry? So you see it doesn't matter, I simply enjoy orange cake and your worry is undue." Ashley spoke calmly, placing special emphasis on worry in the end to make his point.

Ava pressed her forehead, not knowing what to say for the first time, and that too due to Ashley. Another surprise.

Echoing of soft footsteps snapped Ava's attention to newcomer. Amelia appeared stopping by the threshold and staring from Amelia to Ashley and to forth.

Ava turned to Ashley immediately and observed carefully. He straightened for a moment before turning back to his cake and pretending all focused on eating.

So he know how to act. Ava mused. She could've never imagined the way his temper flared at little to no issue.

"Do I need to know something?" Amelia asked.

Ava shook her head casually and had the sudden urge to question about her impromptu date with Ethan last night but decided against the action when her eyes settled on Ashley. She didn't want Amelia to say something that might hurt Ashley. Even though she so wished to advise Amelia against this new relationship of ever being surviving in the end she knew Amelia might consider her elder sister and listen to her advises, this particular advice would not be easily welcomed or heard. She never indulged her impulses before and she wasn't going to start now. It was better to play that elder sister and advisor role with Ashley rather than Amelia at this junction.

"What's the plan?" Ava asked calmly.

"About?" Amelia asked sitting beside her and reaching out for the water in jug.

Ava gave out a sigh. This whole thing was getting to her. Why was everyone being so damn difficult?

But just like last time someone entered. This one happened to be Ethan with a bundle of clothes.

"Hey, Ash, I got your clothes." Ethan called cheerfully from hall as he made his way to Ashley's room with the bundle in his hands.

"Yeah thanks," Ashley grumbled stuffing another piece in his mouth before realizing what happened and pausing in his actions, blue eyes snapped to them and widened under the suspicious glare of Amelia and curious stare of Ava.

"Why does Ethan have your clothes?" Amelia asked leaning over the table towards Ashley, eyes narrowed and and fierce.

Ava too wanted to know that but somehow she also didn't want this conversation in front of Amelia because she had a feeling it wasn't going to help Ashley with his pursuit of Amelia. But as Amelia had already spoken the question there was nothing that could be done about it.

"Nothing that concerns you."

Wrong move, Ash, Ava winced.

"Excuse me?" Amelia hissed, eyes narrowed further. "That's my boyfriend holding your clothes as if he is your personal robot and you say it doesn't concern me."

Ashley stared her, Ava detected a hint of hurt before his expression turned cold and blank.

"Who is doing your laundry?" Ava asked hitting right on the topic not wanting to let the matter escalate into something else the way feelings were being added as main topic rather than the side topic that they were.

Ashley flustered for a moment, running a hand through his impeccable hair before giving out a sigh and looking straight at her rather than seething Amelia.

"We don't own washing machines as wherever we went until now hotel provided them or my personal robot was present." Ashley paused willing her to understand but as Ava continued to stare he had to complete the tale. "And as you know the machines here are so old fashioned that I barely understood them so Ethan offered his help and then..."

Ashley gestured his hand uselessly, a gesture so completely different from the nonchalant tone that he used.

Ava gave him an exasperated and fond glare. Of course he wouldn't know how to wash his clothes with these machines and Ethan had to help being the sweetheart that he was. Ethan now boyfriend of Amelia making the matter far complicated that it was.

Nothing was ever going to be simple for this guy. Ava shook her head in sympathy for him.

"And you had the audacity to accuse the friend you treat as your personal robot," Amelia spat making Ava frown.

What was that about accuse? Ava stared at Ashley for answer but he averted his gaze from her; a sure sign of guilt.

"Look Amelia, I..." Ashley tried to speak, a desperation in his brilliant blue eyes.

"Ash," Ava interrupted not wanting him to blurt something that he would regret later. Ashley paused and stared her. Ava turned to Amelia and held her hands softly. "Amy, when Ethan has no issue in helping his friend, we should let this matter rest here."

Amelia opened her mouth to object but Ava gave her reproachful stare. "You can obviously explain your concern to Ethan after listening to his feelings on the matter."

Amelia pressed her lips but gave a reluctant nod of understanding after glaring at hopeful Ashley, who looked torn between hurt and relief after her reaction.

Just then Ethan emerged from Ashley's room, making his way to them, a soft casual smile on his face.

"Good morning Ava," Ethan said with a respectful smile before turning to Amelia and holding her hand, placing a chaste kiss on her knuckles.

"I'm going to explore the city and search for some clues about Azaad, hence may not be available until later tonight." Ethan informed smoothly turning to all of them before resting his eyes on Amelia.

Ava tilted her head feeling something strange about the way he talked or maybe looked at Amelia. It was sweet, no doubt, but there was something else about it. Something different than what boyfriend might hold for girlfriend.

"Oh, that's completely alright. I will be busy myself as you know." Amelia smiled easily but there was a strain in it that told Ava she wasn't as much happy with this relationship as she acted to.

Ashley jerked slightly and looked away, Ava narrowed her eyes at his suspicious behavior but he avoided her gaze once again. She suppressed the urge to groan.

What did you do now, Ash?

"Where is Archie, Ethan?" Ashley asked, his hand fumbling around the utensils with a certain degree of nervousness.

Ava didn't miss the surprise look Ethan gave to Ashley as he turned to look at him.

"You know him, Ash. Ava will have better chance in answering than I," Ethan said with a smile.

Of course she knew but since Ashley wasn't asking she wasn't going to answer.

"It maybe so, but I were thinking to have some get together since we haven't for so long. Think you can convey the message to him and we can go out tonight or tomorrow?" Ashley asked pretending to be all interesting and excited for the idea but Ava could see the tension in his body and she was sure Ethan did too by the way he surveyed Ashley.

What the hell was idiot trying to distract Ethan from?

"That's great, Ash. I'll ask him for sure." Ethan passed an easy smile.

Ava frowned. Why didn't Ethan point Ashley's obvious deception? Observing Ethan she couldn't even see that it was acting. Either Ethan was a very good actor or he was a lousy observer.

"See you then?" Ashley said cheerfully.

Ethan nodded at the obvious dismissness without any ounce of bitterness like it was a sweet good bye from a friend, and giving a forehead kiss to Amelia walked out of the room.

That was... Interesting. Ava decided. It seemed either Ethan had too big of heart to take offence of Ashley's attitude or he was too naive to see the callous way Ashley treated him.

And wasn't that another issue with Ashley. His treatment of Ethan. It was so callous and wrong. Not a gentleman behavior for sure.

There was no way Ethan deserved that kind of behavior even if Ashley was being a petty jealous which was not, since he behaved that way from very beginning. And she was not going to remain silent over it either. She would sure as hell talk about it with Ashley.

Not in front of Amelia though.

"I'll meet you guys in evening," Ashley said with tight smile, gave a nod to Ava before flicking his eyes towards seething Amelia.

Ava gave a smile in reply and watched him leaving.

"How was the date?" Ava asked turning to Amelia with interest.

Amelia paused, gave her a moment glance and turned back to eating.

"It wasn't a date per se." Amelia said cautiously. "We... Talked."

Ava raised her brow.

"About?"

"Nothing significant." Amelia waved off the question avoiding to look at her.

Ava frowned. Amelia never avoided her gaze until or unless she knew she was at fault. This seemed to imply that Amelia was not happy with Ethan, another indication that Amelia was much more focused on Ashley to care for Ethan.

This was wrong at so many level, for all three included. Ethan much more, considering he was an innocent man in all this. She felt bad for the poor man. At least, Amelia was sincere in her efforts with Dhruv but with Ethan... The poor guy was going to end up with broken heart in the end. She only wished he would be able to bounce back from this.

Amelia excused herself and left to do whatever she wished to do. Of course they weren't supposed to be separated at any occasion but that arrangement had turned to be very bothersome. They couldn't stick together all time so they decided to simply avoid being alone after evening. It was sensible decision considering they weren't attacked in morning. Yet.

They were hopeful to the very least that no mishap would happen during their alone time.

Ava spent the rest of day checking her mails and sending back instructions and ideas to her secretary.

Archie was out busy buying some gifts for New year which he obviously informed her about. She herself wanted to buy some things but decided to wait for Archie to complete his shopping. This way she would be able to take him on shopping without making him confuse.

By the time evening drew closer, Ava had finalized a deal with one of the organization, completed a presentation and checked the financial reports of her company.

Getting up she got ready in blue shorts and white top completed with long boots and a black overcoat. Grabbing a scarf for good measure after applying the warming lotion, Ava searched for Amelia and found her in hall, all ready to go.

"Where's Ash?" Ava asked adjusting the scarf around her neck.

Amelia gave her droll expression.

"Where do you think?" Amelia grumbled. "Late as always. You can realize why he never work anywhere. Irresponsible twat."

Ava stared at Amelia, a brow raised at her attitude.

"If your not so stellar view about me has been done then allow me to inform you I were doing some investigation regarding Azaads only. Not moping like some people." Ashley appeared from behind, his tone sarcastic as he stared at Amelia.

Ava glared at him. He was not helping his case by blaming Amelia. However, she couldn't help but notice that Ashley's words lacked usual heat.

Amelia shot him a heated look before standing in front of him.

"I believe I have the right to take a day off unlike some unemployed idiots." Amelia gritted her teeth staring furiously at Ashley.

"Oh really? I don't think I can recall you working for weeks now." Ashley rolled his eyes, folding his arms over his chest.

Amelia spluttered in shock and embarrassment. Ava was impressed. This was the first time Ashley managed to shut Amelia. It seemed Ashley was genuine enough.

"Enough guys. You can continue your cat fight later. Its time to go." Ava intervened.

Ashley turned to her, a slight pain evident in blue eyes, and gave a jerky nod in her direction before turning on his heels.

They made their way out of the restaurant and decided to forego the walk in favour of a cab. All the walking was getting to them and since it was getting late and colder too, they didn't want to spend more time outside than required.

"Am not going to sit with a cockroach like you," Amelia snipped as soon they hailed a cab.

Ashley paused, turned his head to Amelia and stared her for a long moment.

"You don't need to, your highness," Ashley said, passing a tight smile to Amelia who looked away with attitude.

Ava raised her brow at Ashley who gave a sad smile to her before she sat with Amelia. It was quite clear that Ashley was suffering. But this showed the depth of his love. And his sincerity could be seen with the effort he was making for Amelia.

Ava hoped they would end up together. Because when she was sure of Ashley's sincere love then she could also see Amelia's struggle with her emotions. Amelia was not someone to poke anyone without reason despite her immense frustration or dislike for them. If she was acting this childish to Ashley, trying to start a fight, then sure as hell she had some serious feelings for Ashley.

The cab stopped outside a a building. Ashley paid the cab as Ava stood beside Amelia, observing the building and finding nothing special about it. They were just about to walk inside when Ashley stopped them. Ava looked at him with confusion.

"Someone is already feeling his defeat," Amelia said airily pointedly not looking at Ashley.

Ava pressed the urge to rub her forehead as Ashley simple gave a blank stare to Amelia. Sometimes Amelia can be really childish and dense. Why couldn't she simple admit her love for Ashley and accept it, instead of tormenting both of them?

Ava caught Ashley's eye, and gestured him to speak whatever he was going to say.

"Let me handle the receptionist. Otherwise, the doctor can cause some issues and may not let us meet Misha without supervision." Ashley said, eyes darting around carefully, probably to make sure the said doctor was not around.

It was reasonable request. Ashley knew better than her in that regard considering he had already visited the place. Giving an understanding nod, Ava allowed him to lead.

Ashley walked with determined steps, an air of confidence that explained to her for first time the reason Archie called him arrogant and too much of himself.

Intrigued of this new side of her friend, she halted a few steps behind him, keeping a reasonable distance to observe him without hindrance. Amelia stopped by her side too while Ashley leaned on desk and talked with receptionist in a cool charming voice.

She noticed Amelia frown and clench her fists as Ashley sweet talked receptionist, wittingly gaining the information about Riddhima's whereabouts. He was genius in that, Ava was impressed. And if Amelia's reaction was anything to go by then Ashley wasn't wrong in his assumptions about Amelia loving him instead of Ethan.

Maybe he should use that charm on Amelia, Ava tilted her head considering the idea. It was actually a good plan. She had to share it with Ash. Not now though, Ava surmised seeing Amelia throwing daggers at Ashley. Later.

Ashley gave another charming wink to receptionist and turned back to them with a huge grin.

"She will be not around for another half hour. And Sanaya will send a nurse by that time. So we got hour half to ourselves." Ashley informed briskly as they made their way through empty yet filled with noises, eerily white corridor.

"That's more than enough," Ava said approvingly.

Ashley flashed a happiest smile that almost threw her off guard. She didn't recall ever seeing him that happy.

This gave her a pause and her mind whirled with possibilities.

Was he miserable, by any chance, but hiding his emptiness with self made arrogance? Ava didn't like that thought, not more so when she realized there were more chances of that being true than Ashley's supposed arrogance.

Amelia held her hand gaining her attention. Ava turned and noticed the fear on her face as screaming increased. She looked at Ashley who was eyeing Amelia hand in her with a longing and she realized it wasn't the first time.

They walked silently to the last door in corridor. Ashley stepped forward and held the knob, gave them a look and pushed open the door. He stepped back allowing them to enter first. His face expressing his apprehension as he avoided her eye.

She looked around to find Misha and found her laying on the bed, listless eyes staring the ceiling unseeing and a hand rested on her chest. She looked worse than she imagined. A skeleton held together by a thread of life, that was not the life she would wish upon anyone.

Ashley hesitated and then signaled her to talk after Amelia as Amelia stepped ahead with some confidence.

"Hey Misha, I hope you missed me," Amelia said cheerfully sitting beside the unresponsive elder.

There was a blink but no other indication of hearing Amelia.

"I just thought maybe you're in mood of company... and perhaps a conversation," Amelia hesitated and then completed with a voice quivering with hope making Ava wonder if Amelia didn't want Abhay to be the killer.

Ashley walked to other side to observe while Ava stood at the foot of bed for better angle.

"Alright, not so chatty," Amelia gave out a sigh and then braced herself. "Misha, we... We are in danger and we need your help."

Amelia seek a quick look of Ava for encouragement and then latched on the bony hand resting on bed.

"Can you please... Please tell us who killed Azaad family?" Amelia asked.

Misha gave a jerk and looked at Amelia, tears raced down her hollow and wrinkled cheeks as she stared the once known face.

"I... I'm... So..rry," Misha spoke brokenly in a whisper.

"Misha please," Amelia pleaded hovering over her.

Misha spoke nothing else dashing their hope.

Ava looked at Ashley who gave her nod. She took a step forward and held Amelia's arm, gesturing her to step back she sat beside Misha who had gone still on noticing her.

"Misha, you don't have to be sorry for anything," Ava said soothingly, clasping her bony hand between her soft ones.

"You have suffered enough, you don't need any redemption for anything. I know it must be difficult to talk and think about that awful time but can you just lead us to right path?" Ava spoke in a calming whisper.

"Just a guess or lead, maybe... A name?" Ava continued hopefully.

Misha opened her chapped lips, eyes fixed on Ava, after a moment she closed her mouth and opened again, trying to say something that wasn't able to cross her vocal chords.

Ava encouraged soothingly but Misha failed to speak. A bit disappointed, she looked at Ashley for directions.

Misha noticing her attention turned her head. Eyes widened in disbelief and a sudden jerk seized her body.

They looked at each other, dreading the answer and hopeful for some leads.

"Ab..haay...," Misha whispered, "Abhayy... Kill... Abhay..." She started to gasp for air as her hand moved to point at Ashley. "Rai..chand... Kill... Killl... Murd..er..."

Misha continued to chant amid the gasping breaths while they stared transfixed, rooted to spot. Door opened behind them and Ashley jerked a few steps backwards, out of Misha's line of sight. A nurse walked in.

The room was thick with tension as nurse stared at gasping Misha while they tried to think a way out.

A doctor stepped from behind nurse and immediately started to direct orders.

It all ended as quickly as it started and Misha fell on bed unconscious. Doctor turned to them angrily.

"I think I told you not to meet my patient without my presence." Dr Riddhima glared at Amelia.

"I... Well..." Amelia tripped on words.

"We... we were waiting for you but she... she saw us and started... started to react this way." Ava said immediately coming to her rescue.

Dr Riddhima frowned at her. "I don't want the repeat of this, otherwise you'll be banned."

They nodded and hastily made their way out of the conversation and out of the hospital. Silence was thick between them and even Amelia didn't dare to make snide remarks as they continued to walk.

Ashley looked downtrodden as he walked with his head lowered. She felt bad for the way he was proven wrong. There was no doubt anymore.

Abhay Raichand was the killer as proclaimed by Misha.

Ava passed a sympathetic smile to Ashley when he felt her gaze and turned his head to her. Ashley responded with a faint smile but looked away immediately betraying his despair.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

127K 8.4K 43
Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows. This is the story of Aranv and Khushi who were only meant to be passeng...
14.1K 1K 19
When Arnav Singh Raizada, a 28-year-old man comes across a 28-year-old woman, Khushi Kiran Gupta; he becomes someone he was not. He thought his life...
586K 34.1K 81
Winner of Critic Choice Award 2019 #Standalone Six years ago... an arrogant, spoiled boy meets with a bubbly girl who was an orphan. Opposites in e...
158K 7K 38
Arnav and Khushi were together for a while, in the story of their Lives.She had loved him with all her heart, and he had cared too.However, back then...