You can't be my mum (a Lucy B...

By lucybronzeengwnt

Rosie is a struggling teenager With abusive parents who won't allow her to play football, she spends every da... More

A/N
Chapter 1 - pain is only temporary
Chapter 2 - hope?
Chapter 3 - if only you knew
Chapter 4 - forever and always
Chapter 5 - what was your name again?
Chapter 6 - bruises
Chapter 7 - call me if you need me
Chapter 8 - you're what?
Chapter 9 - you don't have to apologise
Chapter 10 - I promise
Chapter 11 - you don't have a problem with that do you?
Chapter 12 - why?
Chapter 13 - whatever
Chapter 14 - I had no idea
Chapter 15 - you ready?
Chapter 16 - just a friend
Chapter 17 - every step of the way
Chapter 18 - not yet
Chapter 19 - they were too late
Chapter 20 - for you
Chapter 21 - starstruck
Chapter 23 - closure
Chapter 24 - I'm just... experienced
Chapter 25 - A home is different to a house
Chapter 26 - the two figures
Chapter 27 - running laps
Chapter 28 - hayfever
Chapter 29 - sirens
Chapter 30 - proud
Chapter 31 - there's cake?!
Chapter 32 - to the moon and back
Chapter 33 - oh shit...
Chapter 34 - do we get a prize?
Chapter 35 - finally
Chapter 36 - grateful
Chapter 37 - together
Chapter 38 - Mini Bronze-Walsh
Chapter 39 - back into the flow
Chapter 40 - this isn't about losing
Chapter 41 - uncomfortable
Chapter 42 - the answer is no
Chapter 43 - left in the dark
Chapter 44 - forgiveness
Chapter 45 - blackmail
Chapter 46 - the end
Thank You
Sequel

Chapter 22 - just hold me

7.2K 117 1
By lucybronzeengwnt

Keira's POV:

Thursday 17th February - England v Canada 

The past week had flown by. Training had been very intense to help us to be prepared for today's game. The Arnold Clark Cup would officially begin with England v Canda and it would come to a conclusion with England v Germany on the 23rd of February. It is the first real test that we have come up against during Sarina's management. Everyone was so focused on the task in hand and wanted to prove themselves worthy of a place in the starting 11 for the Euros this summer.

Much to Lucy's unhappiness, Rosie had managed to get away with doing the bare minimum amount of work. All of our teamates wanted her to join in all of our training sessions which meant that she had no time at all to be even thinking about work. Most schools in England would be breaking up for February half-term tomorrow anyway so I personally didn't see why Lucy was so focused on Rosie doing work. Even for me, trying to concentrate on anything else at camp is near impossible with the constant buzz about the place. I can't even being to imagine how Rosie is supposed to sit in a hotel room and focus on anything other than football while the rest of us are off enjoying the sport we love every day. Luckily, some of the players had come to her rescue and dragged her onto the pitches. Lucy just put her hands on her hips, shook her head and frowned. However, she was too busy thinking about the looming competition to argue. I knew that by the end, win or lose, she would definitely have something to say about it.

Rosie's POV:

Due to Steph not taking part in the competition because of her injury, she had offered to take me round Middlesbrough for a walk and something to eat before the game began. We flew up from St George's Park and I sat in between of Ella Toone and Alessia Russo on the flight. I am trying to sit next to everyone in the team by the time the Euros start to get to know them all better. Most of Lucy and Keira's close friends, such as Leah and Jordan, have been around me the majority of the time and I already know lots about them so I just wanted to get to know the rest of the team, including the ones I have only spoken to a few times. On one bus ride, I even sat next to Sarina. Fair enough it was a dare from Georgia but she actually turned out to be a very interesting and entertaining bus partner. It was only my second time on an aeroplane in my entire life and I was still cautious of it but Ella made me relax when she said, "you're more likely to die on the drive to the airport than in the air". 

Lucy sat next to Keira, obviously, and it felt like I had barely had any time with her since the week had begun. I understood that she was busy with football but it felt like I didn't really exist at the moment. The only time we spoke was when she came in the room in the morning to wake me up and give me her laptop to do my schoolwork on. Even at meal times, both of us just seemed to sit on different tables to eachother. In the evening, I would often go round to Rach and Millie's room for a bit, while her and Keira relaxed in their room. By the time I would arrive back at my room, they had already turned off their light and had gone to sleep. I have no idea what I would have done if I didn't have any friends on camp. Hopefully things would go back to normal after the competition. 

When we arrived at the stadium on the coach, Steph and I began the short walk into the town. Both of us had been before, due to our north-eastern origins so we knew roughly where we were going. It was just like any normal town centre - lots of concrete buildings and shops. 

We were walking down the highstreet when I spotted an oddly recognisable couple looking in Poundland's windows. Stopping in my tracks, I could see the grey  tracksuit the man had on and the bleached blonde hair on the woman. It made my stomach drop. Trying to convince myself that I didn't recognise them, I caught Steph up who didn't seem to notice that I had stopped walking. She said, "how do you feel about going somewhere nice for dinner?". Barely comprehending what she was saying, I just nodded my head as I tried to listen into the familiar couple's conversation happening just a few metres away from us. Straining my ears, I picked up bits and pieces, "I need you to buy me some fake nails for tonight...Gary are you listening?". The man responded, "what babe?". That was all I needed. I didn't even need the confirmation of their faces to know that they were indeed my abusive, ex-foster parents. Pulling Steph into the closest shop to us, she spoke, "or we could just get a Greggs?". It was only then that I noticed that we were standing in the middle of Greggs while the staff behind the counter just eyed us uncomfortably. I replied, trying to make something up on the spot, "errr...yeh. It's quick and easy I guess so we'll be back in plenty time". 

After we had ordered, I found out why all the staff were staring at us, "you're Steph Houghton aren't you? Wait...and you look a lot like Lucy Bronze's daughter...". Steph immediately greeted the man behind the counter while I just bluntly stated, "that's because I am Lucy Bronze's daughter". Steph glared at me, presumably due to my sarcastic comment. Right now, I didn't want to be chatting with fans who only know me because I'm Lucy Bronze's daughter. My mind was racing with thoughts about the tortuous people who were only in the shop opposite the one I was in. What if they too fancied a Greggs sausage roll to eat? Would they try to take me back to Sunderland? While Steph continued her conversation with the cashier, I cowardly peered through the shop windows. Now I wished that I had seen their faces so I could prove to myself that it definitely wasn't them. But what if it was? That would make me even more on edge than I already was. 

When our food was done, I collected it and stood impatiently waiting for Steph. All I desperately wanted was to be back at the safety of the stadium away from all the stress of the people who I probably don't even know. Eventually the cashier said, "tell the girls good luck tonight. Nice to meet you Lucy Bronze's daughter and Steph". Great, he doesn't even know my name. As we were leaving the shop, I called back, "it's Rosie by the way". I was sick of being recognised for who my mum is. Now don't get me wrong, I'm proud of what she's accomplished and who she is but sometimes I wish that I could make a name for myself. There is already so much pressure on me living up to and becoming as good as, if not better, than my mum. There were a few moments recently when Lucy and Keira would get stopped in the streets and people would only ask me questions about them, never about myself. It was beginning to frustrate me but I guess I would have to get used to it.

Staying in the shadows of the dark February night, Steph sighed dissaprovingly and said, "what was that?". I just shrugged, trying to play innocent, "what was what?". She narrowed her eyes and frowned, "you know exactly what I'm talking about. There was no need to be so sarcastic to him". I turned to face her and rolled my eyes, "it's not that big of a deal". She looked at me in disbelief, "you can't treat fans like that.." I interrupted her by saying, "he wasn't much of a fan if he didn't even know my name". She rubbed her forehead and attempted to close the conversation off, "you should watch how your mum interacts with her fans. Definitely not with an attitude like that". I could feel myself growing annoyed, "can you stop talking about her? I just-..I don't want to hear about it right now". Although she seemed displeased with me, she let it go. And I was very thankful for that. I really couldn't deal with even more problems to think about ontop of the feelings of fear and dread that had somehow appeared in my body for the first time in a while. 

When we arrived at the stadium there were already people in the car park waiting to get into the actual building. Since it was fairly busy, we couldn't go in through the main doors, so we made our way to the player's entrance. Flashing our lanyards to the security guards, we were allowed into the area where both teams were getting changed, ready for their warmup before the game. Steph announced to me, "I'm going to the changing room to see the girls, there's a lounge at the top of those stairs if you want to eat your food there". I nodded in thanks and began walking up the stairs that she had pointed towards. 

Eventually, I arrived at the top and sunk into an comfy chair. Opening up my sausage roll, a bartender called out towards me, "you want something to drink with that?". I thought about it before replying, "I'll have a diet coke thanks. You can put it on Lucy Bronze's tab. She'll pay for it later". I watched her put some ice in my cup, then pour the coke, before putting in a straw and a segment of lime. When she brought it over she questioned, "you know Lucy Bronze then?". I took a sip of my drink while nodding. She continued talking, "Rosie Bronze isn't it?". Relieved that someone finally knew my name, I laughed lightly, "yep that's me". She paused for a bit before asking me another question, "if you don't mind me asking, why are you here alone?". I sighed before replying, "the team is out doing pre-match warmups, the coaches are busy, Sarina is busy. It just feels like I'm in the way a bit. And it's freezing. I'd much rather be in here". She laughed before returning to behing the bar while saying, "that's what you get in the north-east in winter. We might as well be in Antarctica with these temperatures". 

It felt nice to just relax for a bit in a quiet place with the burble of the pre-match commentary on the TV. Kick off was at 7.30 and it was now 7.10 so I should probably start to head down to my pitchside seat in order to be in time for the national anthem. Before I could even stand up, the doors opened and revealed Steph, "come on, it's nearly kick off". She seemed to have 'forgotten' about to way I spoke to her and the cashier at Greggs earlier. However, I was going to be sitting next to her for the entire match so I decided to apologise, "I'm sorry...for, you know, earlier. I was just hungry and frustrated that everything was about Lucy". Instead of replying to me, she gave a small smile and nodded before lightly pushing me in front of her and keeping her hand on my shoulder as we walked down the stairs. 

We got to our seats, that were just behind the substitutes, just in time for the national anthem. Lucy was on the bench, having just come back from an injury, but Keira was included in the starting lineup. The players took the knee as a statement against racism and then the whistle blew. The first game of the Arnold Clark Cup had begun. 

In the first 10 minutes, it was clear that this was going to be a long, hard match with both sides showing dedication and commitment, ensuring that they win the game, and ultimately the tournament. Everyone in the stadium was constantly standing up in anticipation when England were on the attack and then sitting back down in frustration when Canada gained possession. Both teams had equally good chances that could have put them in front. I could see that Leah was getting frustrated, shouting instructions at the rest of the team, and I hoped that someone would just put the ball in the back of the net to calm everything down. Canada gave England a scare in the 12th minute when they were awarded a corner. Luckily, Millie cleared it away without any punishment. 

After what felt like forever, England were awarded a corner. I watched the ball intensely as it was taken short and pushed into the box. The Canadian goal keeper pushed it away, but it wasn't enough. Millie volleyed the ball towards the goal and after a very frustrating beginning, the ball finally rippled the back of the net. The whole stadium erupted and the drums started banging. The rest of the first half was calm, with England taking slight control. Even with a lead, the team was still playing immacultely and creating chances. When the half came to an end, all the substitutes and staff headed though the tunnel and into the dressing rooms for a half time motivational speech. I, however, leaned back in my seat and soaked up the atmosphere. Looking up, I could see that it was now pitch black outside, but the bright, white stadium lights were illuminating up the pitch. Playing at night was a completely different experience altogether, everything just seemed so much more surrea and intense, in a good way. 

As the substitutes who were about to play came on the field to warm up, Georgia Stanway came up the steps to see me, "you alright?". I looked up at her and replied, "yeh, this atmosphere is incredible just sitting here. I can't imagine playing in it". She tightened her pony tail and smiled, "I have to agree, it is pretty special. You'll be experiencing it soon.  Can't wait to see you make your England senior debut. We'll all be there watching". I laughed lightly and felt loved for the millionth time since meeting the England team. The fact that I had gone from no one loving me, to 23 players in the matter of a couple of months made me appreciate it all that much more. She patted me on the shoulder before saying, "right, well I'm on for the rest of the game. You better be cheering for me". I smirked, "maybe". She shook her head while laughing and ran off down the steps to get warm and ready to play. 

As the second half began, I could see Lucy still sitting on the bench. It was disappointing for her, but she couldn't put too much strain on her knee or her injury might relapse. I just hoped that Sarina would give her a chance during this half as she could change the game drastically. 

Only 10 minutes into the second half, Janine Beckie received the ball on the edge of the box. She cut it back before curling the equaliser into the top corner, leaving Mary Earps with no chance. As soon as that ball went in, the stadium went quiet. I looked across to Steph who had her head in her hands. Sarina had a similar reaction, shaking her head in disbelief. England should have defended better and the loss of Lucy on that side of the pitch was definitely felt. Rachel was doing the best she could, but Lucy wasn't one of the best players in the world for nothing. After that goal, it took the lionesses a while to gather their thoughts and remain calm and composed. 

After Canada's goal, Sarina subbed off Rachel for Lucy. Beth Mead, Jess Carter and Nikita Parris also came on at the same time. The whole stadium was praying that these substitutes would make a difference and put England back in front. Plenty of chances were created by both teams, but none were executed clinically enough to score them a goal. For the rest of the half, there were frantic chances, desperate to get a winning goal, but none came. As the final whistle blew, it felt like all the players were relieved. It wasn't the result they were hoping for, but it wasn't a loss either. Due to Spain and Germany's game also ending up in a draw, everyone sat with 1 point on the table.

As all the players gathered round Sarina for a post-match discussion, I stayed sat in my seat. It was only when I could sense people around me that I began to become aware of my surroundings. Fans were approaching my seats, and in the centre of them was the dreaded couple I had seen earlier. This time, their faces were clearly visible. My entire body went numb as I realised I was now pretty much face to face with my long-term abusers and I had no one to protect me or escape this situation. Despite my mental block, I could hear every single word that they uttered, "that's her Gary, I told you it was...grab her and we'll leave as soon as possible...don't let anyone see you, especially not Lucy". My eyes widened when I heard this. Were they really going to kidnap me in a crowded place full of players and fans? I looked around the stadium to see that the place was no longer full of fans. Only the group around my ex foster parents who were heading towards the exit remained. Little did they know that they could be about to become witnesses in a kidnap. Unsure of what to do, I stood up and stupidly turned to face them. As I did, my "mother" spoke up, "look at the state of you, you filthy bitch". My lips trembled as I stared opened mouthed at them, opening and closing my mouth - trying to say somethin, anything. People close enough to hear watched the situation as if it was a film. No one dared to say anything. Gary lunged over the barrier and caught my forearm as I tried to rip myself away from him. He smirked while saying, "no point trying my little girl". I cringed at how he called me 'his' little girl, my entire body filling with fear. Swivelling my head round in desperation, I could see that everyone was busy. No one was there to witness or help. This was it. I was going to get kidnapped and I would never see my true family ever again. Just as things were going so well...

I closed my eyes. In hope that if I did, I would wake up from this really bad dream. How did they know I would be here? How did they know Lucy's name? A whirlwind of questions cascaded across my brain, threatening to make it explode. It felt like a tonne of bricks had just come crashing down on me when I realised that this was the end of my incredible three months. Maybe this was meant to happen all along. The situation overcame my realistic thoughts as I even began to wonder whether Lucy was involved in all of this. Was their plan to give me a taste of a good life to then rip it away from me and allow me to go back to normal. Was this their idea of torture, because it definitely felt like it. As Gary's hand was still latched onto my arm, I felt somone come up behind me. Was this another one of their accomplices? How long have they had this planned for? 

"let go of her"

The voice sounded vaguely familiar but my scrambled brain couldn't figure it out. The person put both of their hands on my shoulders but I shrugged them off, unable to comprehend that they were helping me. My head still thought that I was going to be kidnapped, I couldn't understand why this person was telling Gary to stop gripping me. He was still staring intensely, almost as if his whole body was filled with spiteful venom and he was ready to attack. Chantelle also glared, making me want to slap her across her face but also shrink into the ground as far as possible. No response came from Gary came, so the voice spoke again

"let go of her now or I'll call security"

Chantelle spoke, "Gaz, it's not worth it. Leave that twat be. We'll have another chance". That was when Gary abruptly dropped my arm but not before spitting over the fence towards me. Luckily the distance was too far to suffer the full force of it, but I still felt drops of poisonous liquid scatter across the surface of my face. And that was when they walked away from me. Despite them leaving, I couldn't get what Chantell had said out of my head. Were they really going to stalk me in order to kidnap me? Did they hate me that much?

Turning my body around, I didn't even bother to see who had rescued me. I just said as sternly as possible without sounding as weak as I was feeling, "don't tell Lucy". They just simply took their hands off my shoulders and allowed me to walk away from them, down the steps to join the rest of the team.

Thoughts were running wild in my head as I arrived onto the pitch. I made my way over to Lucy who was doing a pitchside interview and I waited for her to be finished. Having no idea what I was going to tell her, I just knew that I needed to be near her to feel safe. No one else would be able to make me feel the amount of security that I felt with her. As she finished off her interview with, "there's no shame drawing to Olympic gold medalists I suppose. Thank you", I walked quickly towards her as the cameras were now pointing away from her. She enveloped me in a hug and almost immediately, she could sense something was wrong, "whats's wrong? I know I've been distant lately and I'm sorry, I was just trying to focu-..." I cut her off, "just hold me. Please". 

I only took my attention away from Lucy to look up at the steps where I previously was. 

Beth Mead.

Her usual energetic self had been replaced by a solemn expression, almost as if she didn't know what to do. And I didn't blame her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 716 13
i'm looking up for my star girl i guess I'm stuck in this mad, mad world [ alexia putellas x fem!oc ] [ lucy bronze / ona batlle ] devilsamore, 2023
53.3K 1.6K 32
Leah doesn't let new people into her life. She is a fairly well known "celebrity" now. She isn't sure who to trust other than those she was close wit...
176K 5.7K 38
For the Bronze-Walsh family, life seems perfect But will it stay like that for much longer? Follow Rosie, Lucy and Keira's journey as they continue t...
48.8K 1.2K 25
Gracie Adam's is a troubled 14 year old in need of love. When Gracie meets a couple in her most desperate times does she find the love she's always l...