XHYLEMN: THE ROOT OF X | X SE...

By Celestiera

After Xhylemn got blind because of a planted explosion, Aria, who happened to be a resident doctor saved him... More

The Root Of X
Prologue
Chapter 2: B for Blind
Chapter 3: C for Care
Chapter 4: D for Desire
Chapter 5: E for Endangered
Chapter 6: F for Fight
Chapter 7: G for Gone
Chapter 8: H For Home
Chapter 9: I For Incident
Chapter 10: J For Journey
Chapter 11: K For Know
Chapter 12: L for Love
Chapter 13: M for Move On
Chapter 14: N for Nightmare
Chapter 15: O for Operation
Chapter 16: P for Part
Chapter 17: Q for Question
Chapter 18: R for Reach
Chapter 19: S for Safe
Chapter 20: T for Tears

Chapter 1: A for Accident

443 32 4
By Celestiera

"Our intels told us that they found traces of Forneus on the province of Leyte, Philippines. We all know that he's a poison to anyone of us. He still holds informations against our organization, and if we can't capture him, our identity's including the organization's safety will be at risk."

Everyone in the dark room stared at me in unison after hearing what our general said. I unconsciously smirked in the thought of me doing the next mission. One more successful mission and my rank will increase in this organization. And once that happens, I'll finally have enough power to lead the search for the lost treasure of Alpha Genesis.

"Agent X1, as the highest ranked X agent, I will assign you to lead the next mission. At all cost, you must capture Forneus and make sure he didn't leak any information about the org. If he has any compliance, capture them with him." He looked straight into my eyes. Confidence was evident in the tone of his voice like he was so sure that I could complete this mission.

But of course, I'm confident that this mission will be a success. I've never failed any mission of mine. And I don't plan to fail.

"You can choose to do this mission with any X agents of your choice. The rest of you, continue keeping an eye on every possible place that Forneus will go to. Meeting dismissed." After hearing what our general said, all of the other agents exited the meeting room except for the X agents.

As soon as the general was out, I spoke to them, "I will do this mission alone. You may now leave," I declared reason for them to object.

"How condescend," I heard X21 whispered.

"Let's face it. We all know that I can succeed whether I'm alone or not." And no. I'm not showing any superiority. I'm just stating a fact that he can't accept.

"General Z1 clearly told you to choose members, Agent X1. Don't complicate things. You will need us," Agent X7 calmly stated and released a heavy sigh.

No one talked after him. Silence filled the air until I finally decided what to do.

"Alright. I'll go alone to tract and see if Forneus is actually in the area. And if he is, I will call Agent X7, X11 and X21 immediately." Confidence was oozing from my aura. I kept a straight face while observing if any of them would disagree. I kept my palms at my back while waiting for a sound of disapproval. Which of course didn't happen.

The side of my lips aroused when they all nodded their heads in approval. Even if I'm a little stubborn about the rules, I know that no one would dare to go against me.

I told the other agents to go back to their own areas except for the people I chose to come with me. Agent X7 is a skilled man. He knows a lot of tricks. I know I can use his intelligence in this mission—if ever I would need a back up. X11 is physically strong. He doesn't need any weapons to win a battle, therefore I know he'd be useful. And of course, the stubborn Agent X21. Among all, he's the most heartless and brutal. He won't hesitate to kill anyone and that's enough reason for me to choose him.

At para hindi na rin siya dumada at magreklamo pa.

I discussed our plan and they all agreed. Once we arrive at Leyte, they'd both pretend like a tourist and observe the parameter, while I would seek for Forneus.

"Uh… I didn't expect that it would be this crowded here," X7 stated while exaggeratedly avoiding to get touched by people. We just arrived at San Isidro. One of the provinces here in Leyte. "Can't we just use the car you brought with us?" tanong pa niya kaya napailing ako.

"I'm the only one who can use it," I stated. Pinilit niyong sumama sa 'kin kaya panindigan niyo.

"How stingy," he whispered while crossing his arms.

I ignored his statement, "Can you guys understand the language here?" I asked pertaining to the other native languages in the Philippines. I could only understand tagalog while these three morons might not understand any of the languages here.

"Well, you mentioned that most Filipinos can understand english. I don't think it'll be a problem," X21 grumbled and crossed his arms while observing the surroundings. I honestly don't know how they passed as X Agents with their attitudes.

"Still, you should know the some basic phrases here. What if you spoke to someone who can't understand english, huh?" I answered so he rolled his eyes.

"Pangit mo, ulol." My eyes squinted at X11 when he carelessly said that.

"What the fucking heck did you say?" I asked in a challenging tone.

"Pangit mo, ulol? It means hello, right?" he confidently stated reason for me to massage the bridge of my nose.

"Where the hell did you learn that?" Sinong abnormal na Pinoy na naman ba ang nagturo sa mangmang na 'to?

"From X2?" He shrugged while fanning his face with his palms. "So hot in in here." Napailing ako. So he asked my lunatic cousin.

"Que Cabrón! He fooled you," I annoyingly said before calming myself. "The phrase you said literally means you're ugly, stupid." Mukhang nagulat pa siya nang mapagtantong niloko siya ng pinsan ko.

(Translation: What a bastard!)

"That bastard…" gulat niya pang sambit at napatakip pa sa bibig niya. "Shit, I said that to the flight attendant earlier…" I just sighed at him before looking at X7 and X21.

They both looked so done with X11.

"Just…go to the hotel. I'll start investing about Tonto's whereabouts," I ordered them. X7 bit his lowerlip to stop himself from bursting out. We decided to call Forneus, Tonto as in idiot in Español to be safe. We need to keep everything private.

"Yeah, sure thing," X21 simply answered and pulled his luggage towards the highway. "Shit. Do we really have to ride these…what do you call them again?" He scratched the tip of his eyebrow trying to remember what to call the vehicles here.

"Jeepney." "Tricycle?"

X11 and X7 answered in unison. Napailing na lang ako sa kanila.

"Yeah. Those… The vehicles don't look spacious to me," he sounded hesitant about riding the vehicles here so I called their attention by clearing my throat.

"We don't have a choice. Let's just blend in and act like tourists."

We all went to our designated locations. Them, to the hotel while me in front of the municipality hall of San Isidro.

Our sources said that traces of Forneus was spotted here. They figured that he has been using his fake name to buy some properties.

As stupid as it may seems, I took out a printed photo of Forneus from my pocket and approached strangers, asking them if they are familiar with him. But of course…of course they aren't familiar with this freaking bastard.

"How could I be this stupid?" I whispered to myself.

Suddenly, people were in a panic when a loud blast was heard from somewhere. I think it came from a place not far from where I am. It was too loud that it made people panic. Biglang nagkagulo ang lahat at nagsitakbuhan papunta sa iba't ibang direksyon.

"E-Excuse me, what's happening?" I pulled a random stranger on the crowd who happened to be a young looking lady. She has a pair of blue eyes which surprised me. Her chestnut colored hair was in soft curls. Her facial features wasn't as similar as what Asians have.

Is she a foreigner like me?

She looked at me wondering why I was holding her arm.

"P-Po?" her soft voice was trembling so I loosened my grip on her arm.

"What's happening? Where's the loud noise coming from?" I seriously asked. She gulped and took a glance on her left.

"I'm sorry… I don't know either," she hesitantly answered before holding my wrist and slightly pulled it away from her arm. I felt her soft palm shaking. "Pasensya na pero kailangan ko pang hanapin ang nanay ko," sambit niya bago tumakbo paalis.

Great. People were running through different directions which caused me a headache. I can't seem to guess where the loud sound came from.

Looks like the heavens heard me when another blast was heard from the municipality hall. To my surprise, it was already wrapped in a thick smoke.

I held my bluetooth earpiece when someone spoke from the other line, "It's me, X21, we heard a blasting noise, have you heard it too?"

"Yes, I'm in front of it. The municipal hall is on fire," I stated while looking around, trying to see whether someone is being suspicious.

"You think it's an accident?" he asked.

"I don't think so…" I answered. A guy wearing a hawaiian shirt and a black cap caught my attention. He was running away from the exit of the municipal hall so I followed him. He didn't look like he was in a panic at all.

"I found someone suspicious. Stay where you are." After ordering my members, I immediately ran towards the suspicious looking guy. He is now in the parking lot where I also parked my car.

He was about to enter a black van when I held his shoulder to stop him. It took him a few seconds before glancing at me.

My brows furrowed when I realized who it is.

"X7…" I exclaimed in shock. How could it be?

He smirked at me and before I knew it, he pulled me towards him and trapped me in his arms, choking me.

"X7?" he let out a sarcastic laugh, which creeped me out. I've never heard him laugh like this. It seems like he was a different person.

"Let me go," I ordered while moving a bit. I secretly took out my ring and inserted it in his pocket without him noticing.

"I would never follow someone like you," he whispered. Afterwards, I felt a stabbing pain on my abdomen. I fucking did not expect that.

He pushed me to the ground and ran inside his van, reason for me to groan in pain. I held the part where he stabbed me and immediately felt the knife he used. While breathing heavily, I stood up, while pressing my palm against the part where I'm stabbed to avoid loosing too much blood. I was used to this kind of pain, but It's been almost a year since I experienced it so the feeling is a little new.

I took out my car key from my pocket and ran to my car while enduring an excruciating pain on my abdomen. It's a good thing I parked my car close to his vehicle. Nakaalis na siya, but I can still follow him. I opened my car and went inside. I was already panting when I closed the door. The fucking knife was still with me as well.

I pressed my earpiece to send X21 a message. I also took out my phone from my pocket to track X7. My ring has a tracker, so it would be easy.

"Where's X7?" I asked X21 while enduring the pain that I am feeling. That bastard will surely pay for this.

"What? He said that he'll be out to buy some coffee—wait a sec—you sound like you're in trouble. Should we come after you?" X21 surely knows how to read me.

"No. I'm fine. I'll get back on you when I have to."

"X1, let us help you!"

Ignoring his statement, I stepped on the gas pedal and drove to the direction where I saw my tracking device. Hindi nga ako nagkamali nang makita ang sasakyan niya sa hindi kalayuan. Is he really that stupid to drive that slowly?

Without thinking twice, I followed his car until we reached a prohibited area. I stopped my car when he parked his on the side of the road. Nakita ko kung paano bumaba si X7 mula sa kotse niya at hinarap ako nang nakangisi.

There, I saw men with guns coming out from behind the bushes, surrounding me in my car.

"Great. It's a fucking ambush."

***

"Sigurado ka bang ayos ka lang, 'Nay? You almost got into an ambush!" nag-aalala kong sinipat si Nanay ng tingin.

Hinawakan niya naman ang magkabila kong balikat para pakalmahin ako.

"A-Ayos lang ako, anak. Nakita mo nailigtas mo naman na ako, 'di ba?"

Napakagat ako sa ibaba kong labi at pilit na kinalma ang sarili ko. Alam kong hindi na ligtas dito si Nanay. Hinahanap na siya ng kapatid niya.

Ang walang-hiya niyang kapatid. Mabuti na lang at hindi ako kilala ng kapatid niya dahil itinago ako ni Nanay rito sa probinsya. At dahil dala-dala ko ang apelyido ng tatay ko, mas lalo niya lang akong hindi makikilala. Muntikan nang makuha ng tauhan nito si Nanay habang nagkakagulo sa harapan ng munisipyo kanina. Sa tingin ko nga ay pakana niya rin ang nangyaring pagsabog.

"Sa tingin ko, 'Nay, kailangan niyo muna'ng umalis at magpakalayo rito," mahinahon kong sambit na ikinakunot ng noo niya.

"We need to ensure your safety, 'Nay. Sana maintindihan niyo…" Wala nang nagawa si Nanay nang tawagan ko ang second cousin ko sa side ni Nanay. Nasa Cotabato sila ngayon kaya roon ko muna ipapatuloy si Nanay. Mas ligtas siya roon.

Susunod na lang ako sa kanya kapag natapos ko na ang pag-aaral ko rito. Kaunting tiis na lang at magiging ganap na pediatrician na ako.

Pagkahapon ay inihatid ko na si Nanay sa terminal ng mga bus papunta sa airport. Ni hindi na siya pumayag na ihatid ko siya hanggang sa airport dahil sayang daw sa pamasahe.

"Mag-iingat ka, Aria," habilin ni Nanay. At kahit anon'g tago nito, alam kong naiiyak siya kaya nag-init agad ang gilid ng mga mata ko.

" 'Nay naman, eh. Kayo po ang mag-ingat. Susunod ako kapag natapos ko na ang residency training ko. Promise."

Sandali pa kaming nagyakapan bago siya tuluyang sumakay sa bus. Mabuti na lang at maraming koneksyon ang second cousin ko dahil nakuhaan niya agad ng flight si Nanay kahit urgent ito.

As soon as the bus left, tears from my eyes started to pour down on my cheeks. Ni hindi na ako nag-abala pang punasan ang mga ito dahil sunod-sunod ang pagpatak ng mga luha ko.

I love my Nanay so much. Siya na lang ang may roon ako. And I will do everything I can to become successful.

"Beb, sigurado kang ikaw na lang ang maglilinis sa labas, ah? Kailangan ko na umuwi, eh," nagmamadaling usal ngco-worker ko sa isang beach resort. Tango lang ang sinagot ko na nginitian niya ng malapad.

While I have free time, nagta-trabaho ako rito for extra income. Pagod man ay sanay na ako ng walang tulugan. It's indeed tiring to do residency training and working at the same time, but what can I do? I have to do this to survive and reach my dreams.

Bukod sa ang mamahal na ng mga bilihin ngayon, ang mahal na rin ng mga gamot ni Nanay.

Mabuti na lang at binigyan ako ng full scholarship ng Mayor rito sa San Isidro. Kaya hindi kami gaano naghirap ni Nanay para sa pag-aaral ko noon.

Bagsak ang balikat ko habang pumupulot ng mga basura na iniwan ng mga naligo sa sa dagat. Kahit kailan talaga, hindi sila natutong magtapon ng sariling mga basura. Dahil madilim na ang kalangitan, gumamit pa ako ng flashlight para lang makita ang mga basurang nagkalat sa mga buhangin.

Nilapag ko sa buhangin ang trashbin na hawak-hawak ko at dumeretso sa baybayin. At dahil low tide na, nagawa kong maglakad papunta sa mabatong bahagi ng dagat.

I smiled as I felt the cold water touching my bare toes.

Sa hindi kalayuan ay may napansin akong basura. Malaki ito at hindi ko matukoy kung ano kaya mabilis ko itong nilapitan. Bahagya pa akong yumuko at inilawan ito.

"Shokoy!" Agad akong napaatras nang makitang hindi ito isang basura. Bumilis ang tibok ng puso ko dahil bakit may shokoy rito?! Totoo pala sila?!

Humakbang ako palapit at inilawan ito ulit. Napakunot ang noo ko nang makita ang hitsura nito. It had a pale skin with straight brows.

Dahan-dahan kong inalis ang seaweed na nakadikit sa pisngi nito. Doon ay nanlamig ako…

Hindi ito shokoy…dahil isa itong tao!

Without a second passing, I quickly dropped my flashlight and checked his pulse. Nakahinga ako ng maluwag nang mapagtantong may pulso pa ito. So he's still alive.

I immediately gave him CPR, hoping he would wake up. Baka kasi nalunod lang siya. I know I should call help but I can't just leave him here! Baka bigla ay tangayin siya ng alon.

Akma na akong tatayo mula sa pagkakaluhod nang maramdaman ko ang paghawak nito sa palapulsuhan ko! I froze…

He didn't open his eyes but he was breathing heavily. He looked like he was in deep pain. He suddenly groaned while holding his stomach. Napatingin din ako roon. There, I saw how blood was coming out of it. Shit.

"Putcha… I don't have my first aid with me…" I panicked. I know I shouldn't panic because I'm trained to do this. But I never tried to help a patient outside the hospital while I'm alone!

"T-Teka, tatawag ako ng tulong…" I don't know if he could still hear me because his grip on my wrist was so loose like he lost consciousness.

But before I could stand up I heard him whisper, "N-No h-hospital…" his hoarse voice gave me shivers.

I didn't know what he meant but I stood up and ran towards the staffs room to grab my phone. It's a good thing that there were less customers because it's already 9 in the evening.

I called the emergency hotline of our hospital. As it rang I suddenly remembered what the guy said earlier… No hospital?

Hindi ko alam kung bakit ko pinatay ang tawag matapos kong maalala ang sinabi niya. I suddenly came into a conclusion that he might be someone who's hiding something. Why was he injured in the first place? And why didn't he want me to bring him to the hospital?

With a mind that's full with questions, I managed to call my friend, Cassius, who's also a doctor. Sa pagkakaalam ko ay free ang schedule niya ngayon.

"What's the matter, Ari?" he answered immediately.

"Cass… I need your help," panimula ko habang kinakalma ang sarili ko.

"Why? Did something happened?"

"Yes… I-I found someone beside the shore… I think he got into an a-accident…"

To be continued…

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 18.2K 30
It all started when rookie setter Seb Angeles misset the ball causing injury to their team's opposite hitter, Nico Almojer.
348M 7.1M 80
This work of fiction may include potentially disturbing readings, scenes and discussions around topics such as sexual, self-harm, physical violence...
58.7M 1.1M 38
All his life, Andrius Salazar only wanted three things. A peaceful life that he plans to live to the fullest, he wanted to be left alone by his famil...
983K 31.3K 41
(Game Series # 10) Tali coursed through life with ease. Coming from a family full of lawyers, she knew that getting a job would not be a problem. Kai...