Because There Is a Future

By SilverFox555

Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those in... More

Beginning Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Don't Let Her Go
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Rainbows and Fitzypoo
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Because There Is a Future
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Nine

1K 15 3
By SilverFox555

Everything was blank. 

All the thoughts left Sophie's mind, and she just froze for a fraction of a second -- but soon, the pain engulfed her, and she groaned, twisting and turning. 

She's a good one. A voice muttered in her brain. Lots of potential, but so many burdens. 

Never mind, everyone here is good. Wonderful. The voice said after a minute.

Sophie couldn't comprehend what she was seeing, if her eyes were open at all. Everything seemed too bright and too dark, but she didn't know whether either of those were correct.

Sophie? A voice rattled inside her head. It was so tiny, so fragile, but there. 

Hm? She responded.

Sophie? Can you hear me? I'm gonna assume you can. Where are y-

His voice got cut off shortly as another stronger voice entered her brain. 

Are you willing to cooperate with me for the better? Together, we can all rebuild this world. And if you agree, the pain will end.

Sophie groaned as another wave of electrifying pain raced through her veins.

N... No... Never... A weak voice replied, but Sophie couldn't tell who. Nevertheless, she felt encouraged by it.

Are you stupid? Of course we won't. Another voice chimed in.

Get lost. A third voice joined in.

Yeah, did you seriously think we'd join? The first voice said, gaining more energy.

As these retorts got stronger, syncing as one, Sophie felt warmth grow her body. Feeling energy erupt through her veins, she pushed all the pain away, concentrating on finding the source of all of this.

There was one buzzing energy, one she couldn't quite put her finger on.

Go away, you bastard. The voice said.

Yeah, let us go.

I'd rather not. I'm quite enjoying your company. The deep voice said. 

Sophie pushed her mind over to where the voice was, and pressed hard against it.

Nothing.

It was as if she was trying to go through an impenetrable wall.

Oh, darling, I wouldn't waste my energy if I were you. The voice said, and Sophie knew that she was being talked to. 

Sophie kept trying, though. She did everything she could, but nothing seemed to work.

You're the one who started all of this, right? Sophie asked after a few minutes of trying.

Yes, indeed. It was one of my best accomplishments. The voice said. Unlike my sister, I had succeeded in making the population think of something they never would have dreamed of. Now, honey, I'm sure you're wondering why I would do such a thing. Well, secrets, they're never meant to be kept. It is bound to break -- but who would do it? That was the question. And the answer was right in front of me. Myself.

Oh, so you're a self-centered bitch? A voice sneered.

Now now, I wouldn't phrase it like that. She said. And it is for the world.

Where are we, exactly? Another one asked.

Nowhere. Everywhere. In the middle of reality and... the end.

The end? Sophie asked.

I suppose you could say the void, but that wouldn't necessarily be true. Everything has an end. Even numbers. Sure, you could argue that there isn't. But what is the infinity of infinity? What is the number that no human has ever voiced? What is after trillion? Nothing. And we are here. Where nothing is. Why? Because I am nothing. We are nothing. What would people a hundred years from now think of us? Nothing. Because that's how it is. Reality. 

No. Sophie said, interrupting her ramble. No, you did this to start a war between us and the humans.

What a bold statement with so little evidence. The voice said. But think, Sophie. After the war, we will learn to work together. We will accept each other's existence and learn to co-exist. 

But war will kill so many people. A new voice said. You have always been like this. You don't care about life, if will do some good eventually. But how can you be so sure of that? How?

Based on the way she said, "you have always been like this," Sophie could tell that this was Veta. And that the mysterious voice belonged to her sister that Sophie was trying to find. 

Hello there, sister. The voice scoffed, confirming Sophies prediction. I can be sure of it because I'm not only a shapeshifter and compeller. I'm also a Foreseer. 

It took a few seconds for the words to sink in.

So... you have all the abilities. Sophie said.

Indeed. And I saw the future. One where elves and humans were together. But I wasn't there. 

What do you mean? Someone asked.

I wasn't in the world. To put things simply, I was dead. And after I did a little research, I figured out that I would be dying... Right here. In fact, in a couple minutes.

What the hell? This is so confusing. One voice said.

The future never lies, Mr. Song. The sister said.

Then all the remaining pain subsided, and their vision came back. They were all sitting down, wincing in the middle of nowhere, and it was quite literal. There was nothing around them except... nothing, and they were floating in space. Except, it wasn't Space. It was... something.

"I told you it was the middle of reality and the void." The deep voice said, and Sophie turned to see someone who looked remarkably similar to Veta. Same dark hair, same skin tone, same eyes. But the way they held themselves were differently. Veta had a cold posture as this woman had warmth around her. Or so it seemed.

The woman smiled. "Hello, I'm Xena. Now, can I get a volunteer, please..." When no one answered, she looked at each of them before her eyes settled on Veta. "Hey, sister. Come here."

She took Veta's hand and led her to the middle, if it was the middle. I mean, there was nothing around them so they couldn't be sure.

Eve shivered beside Sophie, and she walked up to her, gently rubbing her back. 

"Kill me." Xena ordered her sister. "That was how it was supposed to go. Now."

Veta's eyes widened. "What? No. You have to set things right first."

Xena's eyes flashed. "I said, kill me. Do you really want to argue with fate? I saw it with my own eyes. My future. I was supposed to die today. I am supposed to die today."

Veta looked with wide eyes at the medler that Xena pulled out of her clothes. "No. No, I won't."

"I have caused too much damage. But I want you to know that I truly did this for a good cause." Xena's eyes softened. "Thanks for making my childhood fun."

Veta's eyes got misty. "No. I won't."

"Fine." Xena snapped. "I will."

And she shot herself right in the chest, breaking the fate she had said she had seen. After all, wasn't Veta supposed to kill her? 

But Xena crumpled to the ground, pain in her eyes. "End the pain, sister. Please."

"No. No." Veta sobbed. "I can't."

"It... hurts..." Xena mumbled. "Please."

And Veta shot her sister. Time seemed to stop as the blast reached Xena's body, and Sophie couldn't help but be reminded of the time she had shot her. 

The feeling of deja vu came through Sophie, and she felt something shift inside her body as the world faded -- but not quite. She was still there, but she wasn't sure if she actually was. It was as if she was stuck in a middle of reality and an endless dream.

Veta's sob rang through the air. "No. N-no. Xena!"

But her sister was long gone. 

Woah, that was super fast.

I hope you guys won't mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 324 73
A whisper. Even after everything they've been through, everything they've discovered, the Neverseen always seem to be one step ahead. Sophie and her...
80.1K 1K 27
Sophie Elizabeth Foster was lost. With no way to get home, no way to find her way back to The Lost Cities. No way to tell her cognate Fitz, and no on...
26.3K 397 34
Sophie Foster has spent days waiting for Keefe to wake up and while she waits, she becomes more aware of her feelings. But when all seems better than...
11.6K 97 70
Warning: If this has been read on any platform apart from Wattpad, it has been plagiarized. #1 IN KAM 12/4/23 In this after-Unlocked KOTLC fanfic, So...