One Chicago Tales

By Chicagox

Oneshot stories from your favourite universe :) More

π•‘π•£π• π•π• π•˜π•¦π•–
πšπš›πš˜πšžπš‹πš•πšŽ 𝚊𝚝 πšœπšŒπš‘πš˜πš˜πš•
πš’πš—πšŸπš’πšœπš’πš‹πš•πšŽ
πšŒπšŠπšžπšπš‘πš πš’πš— πšπš‘πšŽ 𝚊𝚌𝚝
πš›πšŽπšŠπš• πš•πš’πšπšŽ πš—πš’πšπš‘πšπš–πšŠπš›πšŽ
πšœπš’πšŒπš”
πšœπš‘πš˜πš?!
πš’πšŽπš•πš•πš’πš—πš
πšœπšπš›πšŽπšœπšœπšŽπš
πš™πšŠπš’πš—
πš”πš’πš—πš πšœπš˜πšžπš•
πšπšžπš— πš™πš˜πš’πš—πš
πšπš›πšžπšπšœ
πš‹πšžπš•πš•πš’πš’πš—πš
πšŠπšπšπš’πšπšžπšπšŽ πš™πš›πš˜πš‹πš•πšŽπš–
πš‘πšŠπš‹πš’πšπšœ
πš πš˜πš›πš›πš’πšŽπš πšœπš’πšŒπš”
πšžπš‘ πš˜πš‘
πšπšŽπš•πš• πš–πšŽ
πš›πšžπš—
πš›πšŽπšŸπšŽπš•πšŠπšπš’πš˜πš—
πš—πš˜πš 𝚜𝚘 πš‘πšŠπš™πš™πš’ πš‹πš’πš›πšπš‘πšπšŠπš’
πšŠπš›πšπšžπš–πšŽπš—πšπšœ
πšœπšŽπšŒπš›πšŽπšπšœ
πšπšŠπšπš’πš—πš πš™πš›πš˜πš‹πš•πšŽπš–πšœ
πšπšŠπš”πšŽπš—
πšπšŠπš—πšπš›πšžπš–
πšπš›πšžπš—πš” πšπš›πš’πšŸπšŽπš›
πšŠπšπšπšŽπš›πš–πšŠπšπš‘
πš‹πš’πš πšŠπšœπš™πš’πš›πšŠπšπš’πš˜πš—πšœ
πš’πš—πšœπšŽπšŒπšžπš›πš’πšπš’πšŽπšœ
πš’πš– πšπš’πš’πš—πš
πš•πš˜πšœπš
πšπš˜πšžπš• πš•πšŠπš—πšπšžπšŠπšπšŽ
𝚝𝚊𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚍
πš–πš’πšœπšπšŠπš”πšŽ
πšœπš’πšŒπš”πš—πšŽπšœπšœ
πšŠπšœπšπš‘πš–πšŠ πšŠπšπšπšŠπšŒπš”
πš–πš˜πšπš‘πšŽπš›πšœ 𝚍𝚊𝚒
πš‹πš’πšπšπšŽπš›
πšœπšžπšœπš™πš’πšŒπš’πš˜πšžπšœ
πšπš’πšπšπš’πšŒπšžπš•πš πšπšŽπš™πšŠπš›πšπšžπš›πšŽπšœ
πš™πšžπšœπš‘πšŽπš πšŠπš›πš˜πšžπš—πš
πš‘πšŠπš•πš πšπš›πš˜πš£πšŽπš— 𝚝𝚘 πšπšŽπšŠπšπš‘
πšπš˜πš›πšπš˜πšπšπšŽπš—
πš›πšžπš—πš—πš’πš—πš 𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚒
πšœπšπš›πšŠπš—πšπšŽ
πšœπš–πš’πš•πšŽ
πš’πš—πšπšŽπšŒπšπšŽπš?!
πš‘πš’πšπšŽ 𝚊𝚠𝚊𝚒
πš–πš’πšœπšπšŽπš›πš’πš˜πšžπšœ πš’πš•πš•πš—πšŽπšœπšœ
πšπš’πšπš‘πšπš’πš—πš
πš‹πšŠπš πš’πš—πšπš•πšžπšŽπš—πšŒπšŽ
πšπš‘πšŽ πšœπš‘πš˜πš˜πšπšŽπš›
𝙾𝙲𝙳
πšπš‘πšŽ πš‹πš‹πšš πšπš˜πš—πšŽ πš πš›πš˜πš—πš
πš’ πšπš’πšπš—'𝚝 πšπšŽπšŽπš• πš’πš...
πš•πš’πšπšŽ πš•πš˜πš—πš πšπšŽπšŠπš›
πšŒπš˜πš–πš™πšŽπšπš’πšπš’πš˜πš—
πšœπššπšžπšŠπšπšπšŽπš›?
πš•πšŽπšŠπšŸπš’πš—πš?
πšπš‘πš’πš—πšπšœ πš‘πšŠπš™πš™πšŽπš—
πšŒπš‘πšŽπšŠπšπšŽπš πš˜πš—
πš‹πšŽπš•πš’πšŽπšŸπšŽ πš–πšŽ
πšπšŽπšπš•πšŠπšπšŽπš
πš‚πšŽπšŽπšπš‘πš’πš—πš πš πš’πšπš‘ πš‘πšŠπšπšŽ
'πš™πšŠπš›πšπš—πšŽπš›'
πšœπš–πšŠπš›πš πšπš’πš›πš•
πš’πš—πšπš’πš–πš’πšπšŠπšπšŽπš
πš•πšŠπšžπšπš‘πš’πš—πš πšœπšπš˜πšŒπš”
πšπš’πš—πšŠπš—πšŒπš’πšŠπš• πšœπšπš›πšžπšπšπš•πšŽπšœ

πšŠπšŒπšŒπš’πšπšŽπš—πš

3.2K 53 27
By Chicagox

𖠌

Imogen Halstead (age 15)
Word count: 2984

Jays POV

I'm currently stood with Will, Kevin and hailey watching Imogen and Kevin's younger sister on their horses. Imogen's had this horse since she was 6, and she's been show riding it for five years years now. I mean, I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive of allowing her to do more than just maintain and ride the horse, but she loves this so much. I couldn't say no...

Wills POV

My heart is currently in my mouth right now, Imogen is jumping over bars and bush things, I don't know what they're called, but all I know is that she terrifies me with this sport. Initially, when she asked about starting show jumping, I laughed. I thought it was far too dangerous, but after a lot of persuasion from both of my siblings, I caved in. She's the happiest when she's on arlo, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Imogen's POV

I love Arlo. He's my life. I've had him for nine years, so he's pretty big now. But I don't know what I'd do without this sport. Arlo is a black stallion, and he's pretty big compared to me. But he's my baby, and I wouldn't change him for the world.

His strength is jumping, his height is impeccable and so far he's won us both many competitions. I know my brothers aren't really too keen on this, but they're supportive so that's all that I care about. The second I found out Vanessa, Kevin's little sister, had a horse too... we became best friends.

Every weekend we ride together, but since our horses are kept in different stables, we don't see each other through the week when we groom our babies. But every weekend we cherish the time we have together.  So we're currently doing drills together right now.  I'm obviously riding arlo and she's riding poppy, both of our brothers plus hailey are stood on the other side of the fence. 

           After I do my jump I let arlo walk it off, before guiding him over to my brothers.  I make him half before the gate as jay reaches his hand out to stroke him.  I smile and catch my breath back as my instructor focuses on Vanessa's jump.  Will keeps his hands to himself, he isn't too fond of his size, but Hailey and Kevin join in the pampering.

             Arlo is much taller than everyone, so he towers over my brothers, meaning I do too, and I love being taller than them.

I look over to my right and notice the other stallions being rounded up into their trailers. I'm not really sure what happens next, whether another horse spooks arlo, or whether arlo didn't like the attention he was receiving (although he always does). But I feel arlo starting to back up, before he turns us around rapidly. I tug on the reins slightly and tilt his head in bids to control him, but he starts to neigh in distress, and that's when I see the loose horse running around the field behind us. Arlo got spooked...

I hear my teacher yell for my horse to calm down before he bucks onto his back legs. I manage to cling onto the reins and I dig my feet into the stirrups. Somehow, I manage to stay on arlo whilst he bucks. But the second he slams his front legs back onto the ground, his head ducks forwards taking the reins with him. I feel my feet being yanked out of the stirrups and I'm flung into the air, and I'm not sure what happens next, all I know is that is hurts...

Jays POV

I'm stood stroking arlo as Imogen continues talking to Kevin, but the second I notice the horse back up I pull my hand away. Imogen yells out and I can tell she's scared, but the horse doesn't seem to calm down. He neighs loudly and tugs at his reins, making Imogen go with him. I see the horse move onto his back legs and my heart rate picks up as the instructor yells for the horse to calm down. I feel slightly relieved when I notice Imogen still clinging onto the horse.

But the very second the horse lands on the ground and ducks his head, Imogen is launched forward and off of the horse. She flies through the air before she hits the ground with a thud. Arlo is still running around so the instructor grabs his reins and pulls him out of the gate, taking him back to his stable quickly yet carefully. I see Vanessa with her hand over her mouth as Will jumps over the fence, and Imogen, well... she doesn't move.

              I bolt over the fence and run over to Imogen who's crying on the floor, "woah, no no no. Don't move, okay? Do not move..." Will warns as she tries to get up from laying on her back.  Haileys already on the phone to an ambulance as the instructor runs over.  Vanessa hops off of her horse and begins to lead her back to the trailer. 

            "Can you squeeze my hand, immy?" Will grabs her hand.  Imogen stifles a painful cry and nods, squeezing his hand, "good, that's good" Will smiles.  However, the screams of agony she lets out says otherwise. She reaches out for something and I let her hold my hand, "what hurts?" Will enquires. She lets out another painful scream mixed with a cry, "everything" she sobs. After a few seconds of follow up questions, "where's arlo? Is he okay...?" She sobs. I smile sadly, of course she would ask that, "he's perfectly fine, he's in the stable" the instructor announces and imogen lets out a groan of relief.  She closes her eyes as the sound of sirens grows closer.

~

            It's been two hours since Imogen fell off of arlo, and we're all anxiously waiting for her to get out of surgery.  Will said he suspects she has at least a few broken ribs along with a broken femur, maybe even a minor concussion.

We're all snapped out of thought by Sharon Goodwin greeting us all with Ethan Choi, "she's out of surgery. She sustained a broken femur, fractured collar bone, five broken ribs, and a minor concussion. She's gonna be bed bound for at least two weeks before we can think about moving her to a more mobile wheelchair or crutches. But she's okay..." he smiles weakly. I breathe out a sigh of relief, "thank you" I reach out to shake his hand. Will also smiles before we all wander down the hall to go see Imogen.

              The sight of Imogen in two casts with many bandages over her body makes my heart shatter.  She's going to find this recovery process so hard... I look over my shoulder and notice that the lights are very dim, and the blinds are drawn, "she's still a little out of it" Ethan nods in our direction as we finally reach her bed.  Imogen looks up at us but I don't think she really knows we're here, her eyes are vacant and she doesn't seem to notice our presence.

~

Wills POV

It's been three weeks since the accident and it's safe to say Imogen is feeling the effects of recovery. She's been bed bound for two weeks, and this is the first week that me and jay can help her around in the wheelchair.  Me and jay have both noticed the change in her mood this week.  As much as we don't want to admit, we both think she's a little depressed right now.  Maybe not clinically, but because of her injury and inability to do simple life tasks. Her mood is low, and she doesn't really speak much to us anymore. It takes us a while to get her to eat dinner too, but that might be because of her meds.

           Given that jays bedroom is downstairs, unlike mine and Imogen's, we moved Imogen's bed into jays room so she doesn't have to go up the stairs every day. 

             Right now, Imogen's sat on the couch watching TV, but I'm not too sure if she's actually watching the screen or staring into the abyss. Her leg is getting better, but her collar bone is still causing a lot of pain and discomfort. The ribs are my main concern, since she says they don't hurt that much anymore, but they should be hurting. Hell, she broke five of them...

Jay leaves the downstairs bathroom as I'm stood in the kitchen doorway, he takes one glance at Imogen and frowns before looking back to me and shaking his head. We need to get her out of the house for a while... However, right now it's dinner time and I'm not sure how much food we'll get into her tonight.

           "Dinners ready" i waltz over to our sister.  She looks up at me and goes to stand up, "woah, easy..." I jump forward.  She sighs, "I'm sure I can do it on my own..." she retorts, sounding reasonably annoyed.  I help her sit down in the wheelchair, "not for another two weeks, honey. It'll fly by, I promise..." I look down at her.  She huffs, "yeah, for you guys" she folds her arms. Once she's sat down at the kitchen table she shoots jay a small side glance, checking that he isn't giving her a pity glare, to which he isn't, before she picks up her fork.

            We make small talk, like we always do, however I notice Imogen playing with her food.  Usually she attempts to eat, but today she just isn't, "what's wrong?" I frown. She looks up at me, "it makes me feel sick..." she shrugs weakly and I can see the pain on her face.  I shoot jay a look, "you need to eat something, kiddo" jay reasons.  Imogen sets her fork down and leans back as far as her healing collar bone will allow.  Me and will pause our eating and look between Imogen and each other. 

           Imogen takes one look at me, and then one look at jay to check that we aren't annoyed, "I can't..." she sobs, covering her face with her hands, shaking whilst trying to keep her shoulder down in a last minute attempt to keep the pain at a minimum. Jay stands up before I can and walks over to our sister, enveloping her into a careful yet loving hug, "we know..." he ushers her sobs down into more of a softer cry.  She rests her head on his shoulder, "I wanna go to bed..." her voice wavers. I nod, standing up, "okay, it's alright..." I look up at jay. We both can't stand seeing her this way...

Jays POV

             I stay with Imogen until she's asleep, despite it still being rather early, although the sight of her resting isn't much different from when she's awake.  She can only lay on her back since her leg and collar bone don't give much room to move, meaning she's always in pain and achy in the morning.  Her brows are still furrowed and the frown still evident on her face as I trace shapes on her cheek. 

             Once I'm sure she's asleep and the usual snores are leaving the gap in her lips, I stand up and flick the lamp off before leaving the door open on my way out.  I approach the kitchen to see Will clearing up after dinner, "she's not getting any better" i sigh.  He frowns, "I'll see if there's any other pain medication she can take, it might not be as efficient but it won't make her nauseous when she tries to eat" he nods.  I smile weakly, "good" I agree.

~

*two weeks later*

           As I sit in the corner of the hospital room, Imogen folds her arm over her waist, shooting me the same anxious glare she gave me two seconds ago, "it'll be fine, they said it was looking much better" I reassure, but she doesn't seem to listen.  She sighs, "what if I can't ride arlo ever again?" She looks down.  I sit up and reach over to squeeze her hand, "we can deal with that when the time comes, but you're stronger than this. You'll find a way" I nod.  She looks up and holds my hand, "yeah..." she whispers as the door opens.

             "Good news, kiddo. Your collar bone has fully healed, you just need to take it easy for a few more weeks. You should be okay to start physical therapy on your shoulder, and wrist. Your ribs are healed too, just try not to make fast movements to the side. Your leg still needs the final two weeks in the cast, however. But I'm happy to tell you that you don't need to be carted around in that anymore..." dr Marcel points to the wheelchair in the corner of the room.  Imogen smiles, "really?" She sits up.  He nods and smiles as Imogen shoots me a grin.

           "Will I ever get to ride again?" She looks down.  Dr Marcel sat down opposite me and Imogen, "it's a big risk, Imogen. If you fall again, and it's just as serious as this time. The injuries will be ten times worse. But I'm not ruling it out. With a lot of hard work and physical therapy, I think it is possible to get back on your horse. But as of competitive riding? I'm sorry sweetie, but that's out of the picture" he sighs sadly.  I look at Imogen who wipes a tear away, "okay, thank you..." she smiled weakly.  Crockett smiles at me, "I'll make sure Will knows everything, you're free to go. Just take it easy kiddo..." he squeezes Imogen's good shoulder before leaving us to head home. 

             I know Imogen's disappointed in the outcome of her question, "look at it this way... you had a fall, and it's set you back, but you have the opportunity now to focus all your anger into getting better. It could've been a lot worse, you could've been paralysed, and you could've just been told you'll never get back on a horse ever again. But you didn't, you have the chance to get back on arlo even if it means no jumping. But you still have that privilege, huh? Try and look on the bright side, baby..." I pull her into a hug as she lets out an annoyed sob. She nods into my shirt and I rub her back, if I could take your pain away I would.

~

*three weeks later*

Imogen's POV

I can't believe it. Todays the day I finally get to see arlo again. Im not allowed to get into him yet, but I'm allowed to see him now that my cast is off and I can walk. I've been in physical therapy for three week and Im starting to see slight improvements.

Jay places his hand on my lower back as he carefully helps me down the ramp of the stable, and that's when I see him. My baby, stood right in the centre of the yard. My instructor has been looking after him whilst I couldn't, and right now his coat looks immaculate. I let out a small smile as my horse recognises me. He slowly starts to plod his way over to us, of course Will keeps his distance, but jay stays by my side as arlos face finds its way in my hands.

I let out a small sigh and close my eyes as I rest my forehead on arlos nose. He lets out a giddy neigh as I smile, "I've missed you, so much..." I scratch his chin as jay squeezes my shoulder and reaches out to stroke him too. When I look up I meet his eyes, arlos... not jays, and I can't help but feel the desire in me. I will get back on this horse, even if it's the last thing I do.

~

*one month later*

           Today, June 27th, is the day I get back on my horse.  I hear jay and Will calling after me to be careful and to not do anything I know I can't do just yet.  But I'm too busy clipping my helmet on.  I spend a few minutes double checking the saddle and reins, although I'm sure I'm just scared to even get back onto the horse.  I guess I've been so excited to get back into it all, I haven't really acknowledged the fear that would come with it.

            I see my instructor shoot me a reassuring nod as she approaches me to help me assemble onto arlo.  I take a deep breath and cling onto the step, my hands shaking profoundly as I assess the situation.  What if I fall again? What if arlo bucks? What if I lose everything I've worked for...? After the thoughts run wild in my mind I step back and turn to see my brothers staring at me in confusion.  I see the smiles on their face, and I know their proud of me... I can do this.

           I turn back around to face my horse and see the apprehension in his stance, "hey boy..." I rub his nose and he leans into me, "I'm back" I whisper.  I look over to the woman next to me, "I'm ready" I nod.  I step up onto the ladder and waste no time in slipping my foot into the hooks, "easy boy..." I tap arlos side to make him slowly move away from the box.  My brothers visibly stiffen and I wave them off as I begin guiding arlo around the yard.  I let out a small chuckle as he shakes his head, clearly excited to have me back.  When you have brothers so supportive, tough times fly by...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 413 12
One Lie. Costs Everything.
4.1K 125 20
What if Jay and Will Halstead has a sister?
30.8K 795 29
Make sure to read Snipers Of Chicago Season 1 & 2 before reading this. Published May 29, 2019
25.6K 443 10
Detective Halstead and Detective Upton go undercover in attempts to bust a drug deal, but leave trying to solve something far worse... -Chicago PD-