Channels (MizukixOC)

By WritingSilverScreen

Far before Nanami's time, Mizuki was a familiar to the Lady Yonomori. He served her lovingly and loyally. Whe... More

Chapter 1: Mizuki
Chapter Two: New Life
Chapter 4: Heartbreak
Chapter 5: A Second Chance
Chapter 6: Reincarnation
Chapter 7: Mikage Shrine
Chapter 8: Growing Up
Chapter 9: Visiting Days
Chapter 10: Meetings
Chapter 11: School
Chapter 12: Sudden Leave
Chapter 13: Mizuki's State of Mind
Chapter 14: Ume's Point of View
Chapter 15: Rescued
Chapter 16: Visiting Izumo
Chapter 17: Fragments
Chapter 18: Truth
Chapter 19: Home
Chapter 20: Nothing Good Happens in Town
Chapter 21: Unlucky
Chapter 22: Suzuka
Chapter 23: Ume's Nightmares
Chapter 24: Worst Fears
Chapter 25: Tricks
Chapter 26: Keeping Trying Again
Chapter 27: War
Chapter 28: Sachi
Chapter 29: A God's Command
Chapter 30: Memories
Chapter 31: Sachi Meets a Monster
Chapter 32: Ambush
Chapter 33: Back at Mikage Shrine
Chapter 34: The Past and the Future
Chapter 35: Unity
The End
Bonus! Chapter 36: One Big Happy Family

Chapter 3: As Time Flies

427 13 1
By WritingSilverScreen

The little girl had been a challenge to care for as she grew. At six years old, she was comfortable in the shrine and began to play games with Mizuki, whether Mizuki consented or not. 

"Ume, please," Mizuki whined, "You have to come out and take a bath."

"You have to find me first," she said softly. Mizuki could barely hear her voice or where it came from.

"Ume," Mizuki whined. Despite being frustrated, Mizuki was still happy that she felt safe enough in the shrine to leave his side. He started opening closets and searching inside cabinets. Little did he know, a giggling, bright-eyed girl was curled up in Lady Yonomori's arms, while the woman smiled lovingly for her two children. 

"Ume!" Mizuki sounded helpless and frustrated.

Ume pouted slightly.

"Do you want to stop hiding?" Lady Yonomori asked.

Ume nodded and wiggled out of Lady Yonomori's arms. She slipped out of the room and went to find Mizuki. His back was turned as he looked in a closet. She ran forward and jumped on his back, making him stumble forward and hit his head on the wall.

"Ow," he muttered, rubbing his forehead with one hand and holding Ume steady with the other.

"I'm sorry, Mizuki," she said, hugging him tightly around his neck. He sighed and situated her on his back.

"It's alright," he said, smiling, "Now, are you ready for a bath?"

Ume nodded and rested her head on Mizuki's back as he walked to the bathroom. He let her down and made sure she had a towel and change of clothes in the bathroom before closing the door and sitting outside it. He smiled as he heard her splashing in the water. He didn't mind cleaning up the mess since she got to have fun. 

When she finally opened the door, she held her kimono closed with her hand and held out the tie in the other. Mizuki tied the ribbon and then took a hairbrush and sat her down on his lap in his crossed legs. He ran the brush carefully through, occasionally picking up her towel to attempt to dry her hair more. When her wet hair had been taken care of, he walked with her to the plum tree and let her lay her head in his lap. He couldn't resist spoiling her. After dinner each night, she got a piece or two of candy and every night, she fell asleep staring at the plum blossoms, even during the winter, when Mizuki bundled up her and himself. He didn't personally like the cold, but for Ume, he would withstand it so she would be happy.

"You don't have to spoil her for her to love you," Lady Yonomori once said.

"I spoil her because I love her. Not because I am buying her love," Mizuki had replied. 

In just a year, Mizuki had come to love the child dearly.

By twelve years old, Lady Yonomori had been tutoring Ume in needlework and Mizuki had taught her how to clean and had her help with chores around the shrine. He would've treated her like royalty, however, Lady Yonomori insisted that proper discipline and work would be good for Ume. Of course, she had been right and Ume had come to enjoy the daily tasks she did with Mizuki. 

One night, as she lay in Mizuki's lap staring at the tree, she asked him a question.

"Mizuki, won't I have to leave someday?" she asked.

"I would love if you never left," Mizuki said, "But someday, you must go to the human world and start your own life. Have your own family."

"But what if I don't find anyone to love?" she asked, "Or what if no one loves me?"

"Don't even let that thought cross your mind. You are beautiful and wonderful and smart. When you find someone who can see that in you, you'll know he loves you. And when you see everything about him that is wonderful, you'll know you love him too."

"Do you love me, Mizuki?" she asked.

"Yes. I've always loved you," he said.

"But not as a lover?" she said.

"No, as a friend," he said.

"I'm glad your my friend."

"Don't you want to go and start making friends with other humans."

"I don't need them. I have you."

"But someday, you'll have to be able to at least get along with humans. You should practice now, while you can still permanently rely on the shrine as your home."

"You mean when I leave when I'm older, I can't come back."

"No! No," Mizuki said, "I mean that when you're older, you'll have a life of your own and you may not need me or the shrine as much. You and I both need to start practicing for the day when you leave."

"But I'll never not come back. I promise," she said, hugging Mizuki's waist. He stroked her hair.

"I hope that's true," he said softly.

"It is!" she insisted, squeezing him tightly.

"Alright," he said, "But for now, will you go out and try befriending some humans tomorrow?"

"Okay," she sighed and closed her eyes. He focused on playing with the lengthening strands of her hair. Mizuki was facing the harsh reality that she would one day leave and that day would come soon. All he could do was treasure the moments with her.

When morning came, Mizuki took her to the village and followed her until she noticed a group of girls beading bracelets. She looked up at Mizuki and he nodded, promising to return for her at nightfall. She breathed deeply before walking over to the girls. Mizuki watched and waited. When she smiled and sat down with the girls, he left for the shrine.

"Mizuki, please don't pout," Lady Yonomori said.

"I don't want her to leave," he said softly, "She's so perfect. I want to keep her here."

"Mizuki, she needs a life with others," Lady Yonomori said, "She'll become sheltered if she never leaves the shrine. You'll hold her back and hurt her. You wouldn't want to hurt her for your own benefit."

"I don't," he said tearfully, "But I'll miss her every second she's gone!"

Lady Yonomori smiled sweetly and patted her familiar's head kindly, "She'll love you more for letting her be free."

Mizuki nodded, "I want her to be happy. I'll let her go."

Lady Yonomori nodded, "I'm proud of you, for everything you've done for her, and everything you're going to do."

"Thank you, my Lady," he said, smiling.

Sure enough, the day Mizuki dreaded came. The day when Ume would leave. A rich young man had fallen in love with her and proposed to her. Lady Yonomori and Mizuki supported her and encouraged her to accept. Even if it broke Mizuki's heart, he was glad Ume would have a good life.

The sixteen year old girl Mizuki had raised packed her things and, when she stood in front of the shrine, looked up into his eyes tearfully.

"Mizuki, should I really go?" she asked.

"Yes," he said, keeping a happy face, "It'll be best. You'll have a good life and a happy family. I'm sure."

"But Mizuki, I don't know if I love him enough," she said.

"I'm sure you do," he said.

"What if I thought I loved someone else more?" she asked.

"I don't imagine you do," he said, "You'll be happy. I promise."

She looked up into Mizuki's honest, cheerful eyes and smiled.

"I trust you," she said softly, hugging him tightly, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," he whispered, running his fingers through her long hair one last time, "Now, I'll take you to the village and once you are with him, I'll leave."

She nodded and climbed onto his flying snake. Lady Yonomori waved goodbye, smiling. Ume waved as the snake lifted off and flew to the village. Mizuki walked her to the edge of the village where the young man's wagon was.

"Who are you?" the man asked, eyeing Mizuki suspiciously.

"He raised me," Ume said, "You don't have to get jealous."

Mizuki felt a twinge of worry. Did he get jealous easily? Did he become erratic? What if he acted like Ume's parents did? No, he wouldn't. He was just a husband being rightfully cautious about seeing his wife with another man.

The man's face softened immediately, "It's nice to meet you. Thank you for allowing her to marry me."

"It was my pleasure. I want her to have every happiness," Mizuki said.

"I'll make sure she does," the man said, helping Ume into the wagon and then climbing in himself.

"Goodbye," Ume said softly, waving at Mizuki as the wagon pulled away into the distance. Just like that, the girl Mizuki had loved and raised was gone. He would keep her memory close to his heart and treasure her along with Lady Yonomori. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.8K 652 18
COMPLETED "Time is a never ending cycle never changing as what ever you do has already happened in the past, you can't change it. If you do, you just...
57.1K 2.3K 33
Book #1: I'm Trapped in Kamisama Kiss! (Completed) Book #2: I'm Livin' With Kamisama Kiss?! (Completed) Book #3: A New Tale Begins [Kamisama Kiss fan...
27.8K 844 26
AU: Imagine if Nanami wasn't a God and Tomoe wasn't her familiar. In this world everything is normal. They both just went to the same highschool and...
57.6K 1.6K 30
COMPLETED "With the way things are going I guess I should jump into the nether world like you told me." The yokai stared to edge closer to the gate w...