Mission: Undercover

Af ann2ktheauthor

📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Ident... Mere

Welcome
Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
*Playlist*
THANK YOU

Chapter 13

251 36 10
Af ann2ktheauthor

"Cole! My boy!" Kristen hugged her son the moment she saw him. "Don't do this ever again, Cole!"

"I don't think if I had told you, that would have helped with something."

"I am your mother. I have the right to worry about my daughter. I have the right to know if something happened to my children!"

"I couldn't focus if I had to worry about you, too, Mother."

"You don't have to worry about me, Cole. I am alright. I don't even need the antidepressants anymore. You know how sorry I am about what happened before, but I'm still your mother."

Kristen Willker was generally a strong woman. But she had been in a deep depression when she lost her husband. Her condition had deteriorated so much that there were times when her children were afraid that they could lose her, too. But fortunately, after severe and painful treatment, she fully recovered.

"I don't blame you, Mother. I am trying to protect you. All of you."

"It is my job to protect you, not otherwise." Kristen caressed Cole's cheek and continued. "But let's end this conversation. We have a guest now. I met your beautiful assistant. She is—"

Cole moved away his gaze from his mother and looked directly at Vanessa.

Their eyes met. There was something intense in the situation that could be sensed in the air. For a moment, they both felt like everything around them had disappeared. They were lost in each other's eyes. But neither of them would let the other see it.

"Cole, are you listening to me?" His mother took him out of his thoughts.

Cole hadn't heard anything of what she was talking about in the past few minutes. But he didn't answer her when she drew his attention. He didn't even turn to her—he just kept looking into his assistant's eyes.

"Vanessa."

"Hello, Cole," Vanessa answered him.

Kristen looked at them in amazement. It wasn't long before she looked at Rebecca questioningly, but Rebecca only shrugged in response.

"Alright, kids. Take sits. I will bring the dinner," Kristen insisted, heading to the kitchen.

Rebecca took Vanessa by the arm. "Nessa, come on."

They all sat around the table, and after serving the dinner, Kristen joined them. "I can't describe how happy I am to be together again, my dears!" She started pouring wine into the glasses.

"Thank you, Kristen, but I don't drink alcohol," Vanessa said when Kristen reached for her glass.

"All right, darling." Kristen set the bottle aside. "I could make you some lemonade if you want?"

"Oh, don't worry, please. I'd just like a glass of water."

"Of course."

"Well." Jackson took the floor. "I'm glad to tell you that we'll be together more often now because guess what? I'm moving back!"

"This is awesome, Jacks!" Rebecca exclaimed happily. "Um, once we're on the topic..." She closed her eyes, ready for a reaction after her following words. "I'm moving out."

After a few seconds of silence, Rebecca opened one eye slightly, looking at Cole.

"That's not gonna happen, Rebecca," her older brother said firmly, sipping his glass.

"I am not asking for your permission, Cole! Nessa and I will rent a place. We can't all live in this house forever! You said that a couple of years ago, remember?"

Vanessa began to feel uncomfortable with her name being involved in this, even though the idea was entirely Rebecca's.

And Cole's reaction was entirely expected. "You were kidnapped only a few days ago. It's a miracle you're alive. There's no sign of the bastard. And you're talking about moving out? No! You're not going anywhere, and that's final!"

"Good," Rebecca said, disgruntled. "But if I can't live with Vanessa in our place, she will live here!"

A few more seconds of silence. This was unexpected for everyone.

But it was something that would be beneficial for Vanessa. Even if she had planned it that way, things would never have gone so well.

"So?" Rebecca asked Cole. "You are not saying anything. I'll take it as a yes." Then she turned to Vanessa. "What do you think, Nessa?"

Vanessa had to play it tactfully. "I don't know, Becks. Maybe you should discuss it in private with your family first."

"I don't think there's anything to discuss. Cole agreed," Rebecca said. After that, she turned to Jackson. "Jacks?"

"It will be a great pleasure for me."

"Mom?" Rebecca asked her mother as well.

"There are enough rooms in the house," Kristen replied to her daughter with a smile on her face, then turned to Vanessa. "You are welcome in our house, dear!"

"So, it's decided!" Rebecca clapped her hands.

"Full house, more fun!" Jackson exclaimed, but Cole interrupted him quickly.

"When is your flight?"

"Tomorrow. At 6 a.m.," Jackson annoyingly replied to his brother.

"Oh, mine is at 6:30," Kristen added.

"You are leaving so soon?" Cole and Rebecca asked their mother in unison.

"I have to. Today's trip was not planned, and I have some business to finish. But I'll be back soon, my dears. And I think this time will be for a long time. Your father and I dreamed of living in Paris in our old ages..." Kristen closed her eyes while talking, although this couldn't stop the tears that came out of her eyes. "And to have our grandchildren there for the whole summers... To show them the old continent..." She opened her eyes and ran her fingers over the wet marks on her cheeks. "But your father is gone. I still don't have grandchildren. And to be so far away from my children is not any better than the depression I had here."

Jackson put his hand on his mother's. No one said anything. The pain from Kristen's words screamed. It burned. And hurt. Everyone could feel it.

And everyone in this house, including Vanessa—even Vanessa, perhaps most of all—had experienced it for themselves.

Vanessa looked at Cole. She was wondering if his eyes would say anything at this tense moment. But he turned his head the second her gaze caught his. It was unlikely that this man would ever allow himself to show a drop of vulnerability.

"Okay. I'll drive you both to the airport before work," he said to his mother and brother.

"Thank you, son."

"When are you coming back, Jacks?" Rebecca asked Jackson.

The situation began to lighten slightly.

"In a couple of days," Jackson answered. "I'll pack my stuff and set a goodbye party."

"Of course, you'll do!" Rebecca said, giggling.

"Rebecca, honey." Kristen turned to her daughter. "After everything that happened, I was waiting for the right moment to tell you—"

"No way!" Rebecca interrupted her, obviously knowing what her mother was about to say.

"Yes. I arranged for you an exclusive interview with Carl Ventes next weekend in Italy."

"You did it! This is awesome, Mom! But do I sense that there will be some but?"

"Well, not this kind of but... But..."

Everyone laughed at the word game that had inadvertently turned out. Well, everyone except Cole.

"This year's charity ball is next Saturday. I was counting on you to represent our family, as your brothers don't like this kind of events. But if you are not here—"

"I will go!" Jackson intervened unexpectedly, but his following words made it clear why. "Will you come with me, Nessa?"

This was the tip of the iceberg of all the surprises that happened that evening.

"I... I would love t—"

Cole stood up at the same time, and the creak of his chair did not allow Vanessa to finish her word.

"Excuse me. I'm going out. I'll see you in the morning, Mother."

Without saying anything more, Cole left the house.

His behavior didn't surprise anyone, and the others continued their conversations normally after he walked out.

"So, Nessa, dear, tell me more about you. Do your parents live nearby?" Kristen asked.

But this was a question Vanessa preferred not to be asked. "No, Kristen. They... They are dead."

"I'm so sorry to hear that, darling."

"Thank you. We were not in a close relationship. They were not my biological parents. But still, they took care of me for years. And I will be forever grateful to them for that."

"How did this happen?"

Vanessa closed her eyes, remembering the horrible sight of their two lifeless bodies with bullet holes tearing at their flesh. "I'd rather not talk about it. If you don't mind."

"Of course." Kristen agreed immediately. "Let's change the subject. Do you like working in our company?"

"Yes! Absolutely! This is the dream job," Vanessa answered.

Kristen was pleased to hear that.

A few more hours flew by in nice conversations.

***

"The dinner was great, Kristen!" Vanessa said while standing up from her chair. "I am having a great time, but it's almost midnight, so I have to go."

"I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner."

"Why don't you stay here, Nessa?" Rebecca asked. "You are gonna live here anyway. Tomorrow, we will go to your hotel room to pack your stuff."

"Rebecca is right, dear. I'm gonna prepare the guest room in five minutes."

"I guess I don't have a choice." Vanessa shrugged with an innocent smile after Kristen headed to the stairs.

"Okay, girls." Jackson hugged Rebecca and kissed her on the cheek. "I am going to sleep. See you in a few days!"

"Good night, Jackson."

After her brother walked out of the living room, Rebecca turned to Vanessa. "I am dying for sleep too. Come on, let me show you your room."

The two went upstairs, and Rebecca led Vanessa to the room Kristen had prepared for her.
"Make yourself at home, Nessa. Good night."

"Good night, Becks."

Vanessa entered the room, and the first thing she did was take off her shoes and lit a cigarette. She imperceptibly smoked not one but three in a row.

Everything in this assignment was extraordinary. Everything was developing very strangely. But she would think about that tomorrow; now was the time to sleep.

Vanessa took off her dress and looked around. "Great," she murmured while opening the closet. "I had to ask Rebecca for a sleeping t-shirt!"

Fortunately, there was a dry cleaning case on a hanger. It might be Rebecca's. Or Cole's. Or maybe Jackson's, Vanessa thought as she unzipped it.

"Well, definitely Cole's," she said after seeing a black long-sleeved man's shirt. "Well, it'll work for now.  I won't tell him I wore it."

Vanessa put on the shirt and started buttoning it. The next moment, she started laughing. Cole will probably go crazy if he finds out someone wore his shirt. Maybe I'll tell him. It's worth seeing his expression...

Continuing to laugh, Vanessa turned off the light and lay on the bed. "Wow. That's what a mattress is called."

She closed her eyes and fell asleep a minute later.

***

The following day, Vanessa woke up early, as usual. She looked at her phone. The clock showed 6:05 a.m.

Cole, Jackson, and Kristen are probably at the airport, she thought as she opened the room's door. It's quiet. Maybe Rebecca is still asleep.

Vanessa hesitated for a moment, but her need for caffeine made her head straight for the kitchen. She walked barefoot, and the shirt barely covered her ass, but she had assumed that the others were already at the airport.

As soon as she entered the kitchen, she noticed the coffee machine on the opposite counter. There were coffee cups on the side. Vanessa picked one up, put it in the machine, and pushed the button. The sound of grinding coffee echoed through the room, and the aroma of freshly ground coffee wafted around.

But when Vanessa reached for her glass, shivers ran through her body. She sensed a presence. Someone was watching her.

Vanessa immediately turned around.

Then she saw him. Cole was leaning against the wall, looking at her. He was only wearing his boxers, and the rising sun's rays caressed every muscle of his firm, hot body. The tattoos on his arms made him look even sexier.

"What are you doing here, Cole?" Vanessa asked in surprise in an awkward tone.

"This is my house, Vanessa."

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

7 Lives Apart Af Rose

Krimi / Thriller

322 40 11
"At that time, I didn't know that fate would drag us 7 Lives Apart!" *** Rose will go to any lengths just to lure in...
23.7K 1.7K 33
Blake needs a date to his enemy's destination wedding. And not just anyone-a professional. The billionaire genius behind 215 Tech doesn't have time t...
48.2K 2.2K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
5.5K 211 43
When two girls have been professionally trained to be spies and for any mission. They have been trained; how to lie, get out of dangerous situations...