We All Fall Down

By StewMushroom

Tommy's spent the past few years as a vigilante, but things get messy when he catches the attention of the mo... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 9

35 1 1
By StewMushroom

Tommy walked in the house exhausted. His back was killing him. He knew he needed to stop putting off his treatment. He hadn't done anything to help the aching recently, and it was starting to get to him. Tubbo came out of the room and ran over to him, practically jumping up and down in his excitement,

"How did it go?" Tommy sighed and hugged Tubbo, hiding his face in Tubbo's hair. Tubbo hugged back loosely, his hands further down Tommy's back so as to not hurt him.

"It went well. I'm so tired, I'm going to take a nap before patrol." Tubbo closed his eyes and nodded slightly.

"Do you feel up to putting the cream on your back?" Tommy shook his head and hugged Tubbo tighter. Tubbo rubbed his lower back and Tommy relaxed into the comfort of his friend.

"Maybe tonight or sometime soon, I guess. Not now though. I'm too tired to deal with those emotions right now." Tubbo nodded and led Tommy to their bedroom. Sometime soon was better than never again, which was what Tommy had said after the first time they put it on his burns. Tommy laid on his stomach on their bed and Tubbo sat on the bed next to him, keeping Tommy company as he slept. Tubbo knew that Tommy was hiding where he worked, and he could imagine that it was due to him just getting back from months of being on the streets. Ranboo said he'd heard their conversation with Skeppy, so it was no surprise that Tommy didn't trust them as much. Tubbo had been in a bad mood, it didn't mean that he didn't want Tommy around anymore. Tommy always looked so disturbed when he slept, but nothing ever happened throughout him sleeping other than him kicking his foot every now and again. Whenever that happened though he woke up paralyzed. Sleep paralysis, Ranboo had explained once. Normal, goes away within an hour typically. Always plan on waking up an hour earlier than you have to.

Tommy woke up a few hours later and got ready to go on patrol. Tubbo prepared his computer and the call to tell Tommy where crime was. They got ready in silence and Tubbo nodded.

"All set. And immediately, drug deal on alt street. Get going, bitch." Tommy chuckled and put on his mask.

"Yes, sir. By the way, if Themis shows up tonight, keep it between you and me." Tubbo grimaced and nodded. It wasn't his place to say or do anything anyways, he'd just keep an eye out for Tommy's safety.

"Alright, alright. Get lost, you have a job to do." Tommy sighed and Tubbo heard the window open, then silence. Tubbo stood up and walked over, closing the window Tommy left from.

Tommy made his way to alt street, jumping from rooftop to rooftop. His back still hurt like hell but, he'd be fine. He'd end the shift early tonight. By the time he made it to the drug deal, the dealer was leaving the scene. Tommy jumped down and landed in front of the dealer, making them jump.

"Hey man, I don't deal heavy drugs. Just small shit like weed and acid. We can be cool, you want some?" Tommy shook his head and reached his hand out. The dealer shook their head and backed up. "I'm not giving you my shit unless you plan to use it. No way in hell am I giving you all of it. I need to make a living somehow, man." Tommy sighed and tilted his head slightly. The dealer slapped Tommy's hand away and ran off. Tommy could chase after them, but if they were just selling low life shit, then Tommy didn't really care. If it was legal for stores to sell it with a license, then why not let some poor person sell it?

The dealer looked behind themself at Tommy and stopped running. Tommy waved goodbye and jumped on the rooftop, making his way away from the scene. He wasn't in the mood for petty crime. He wanted to stop real crime. Tommy stood on a roof as a wave of nausea hit him. His back felt like it was on fire. Again. Tommy groaned and fell on his knees, digging his nails into the back of his hoodie. He heard a thump from somewhere on the roof, and heard Tubbo ask if he was ok.

"What's wrong?" Tommy's head shot up to look at someone he'd never met before. They had a white hoodie and some golden watch necklace. Their hair was a similar blond to Tommy's and the lower half of their face was covered by a white mask. Tommy didn't know what to think of the person. They were obviously from North or East, so what were they doing in West? Nobody falls off that hard. It felt like Tommy couldn't breathe properly, let alone stand. He was practically at the person's mercy.

"Oh. Are you the vigilante who's mute?" Tommy nodded and the person hummed. "Well, I'm Punz. I'm pretty new to this whole vigilantism thing. If uh, whatever's up with you, is what I have to look forward to then I should probably stop while I'm ahead." Tommy groaned as a response and looked at the roof. His head felt like a million pounds. It was exhausting keeping himself upright. He heard Tubbo tell him to get Punz to bring him home, that they needed to check his burns. Tommy almost threw up at the thought of it.

"Holy shit dude, seriously, what's going on with you? Were you injured?" Tommy shook his head and felt his legs go numb. His whole body hurt and he couldn't keep himself up anymore. He passed out and the last thing he saw was Punz bending in front of him.

"I didn't know it could get infected! You're the doctor, you should have warned me!" Tommy groaned quietly at the yelling. His eyes struggled to stay closed but he opened them. Tubbo was stood a bit away from him on the roof, yelling at probably Ranboo over the phone. Punz was stood to the side watching Tubbo. Punz glanced at him and smacked Tubbo's shoulder.

"He's awake." Tubbo looked at him and rushed over, sitting beside him and putting the phone on speaker. Tubbo set the phone down and Tommy heard Ranboo explaining what to do calmly.

"Take them out. Now." Tommy shook his head and tried sitting up. Tubbo slapped him across the face and he fell again, too groggy to really feel the pain of the slap. Tommy heard Punz take a sharp breath and a few footsteps come closer to him.

"You better not be in interrogation mode. I swear, this is why you two wouldn't last a week without me. Actually, it's been a day. You can't last a day without me." Tubbo rolled his eyes and forced Tommy's hoodie off of him. Tommy grabbed his hoodie from Tubbo and held it close to his chest, curling around it instinctively. It wasn't the first time he'd required emergency medical care on a roof and it definitely wouldn't be the last, but he felt exposed and vulnerable without the hoodie. Tubbo lifted his shirt to his shoulders and pressed gently between his shoulder blades, making Tommy flinch at the pain that came with the action. Tommy grit his teeth harshly, squeezing his hoodie tighter as he felt his wings unfurl from his back. It'd been a bit over a year since he'd last had them out, unable to face the damage the fire had caused.

"What the absolute fuck" Tommy flinched harder at Punz's freaked out tone.

"How bad is it? Send a picture." Tubbo rubbed Tommy's shoulder with one hand and sent a photo to Ranboo with the other. It was very bad. The only feathers on his wings were at the base of the wings, and even then it was a very minimum amount. They used to be very beautiful wings, seeing as he was a Summer Tanager hybrid. Ranboo took a deep breath and snapped his fingers.

"He said Themis brought him to a healer once, who completely fixed his leg. We need to find that healer. He probably said who it was. Who was it? He should know. Wake him up more and ask him. That healer might be able to help the infection at least." Tubbo thanked Ranboo and hung up, looking at Punz. Tubbo stood up and walked over to Punz.

"I think you're done here. Give me your phone and I'll put my contact in so you can get ahold of me in case you need anything." Punz pulled out his phone and gave it to Tubbo, watching Tubbo put in his phone number.

"Are you going to team with Themis?" Tubbo shook his head and handed the phone back.

"No. Listen, you cannot tell anyone about what's happened here. If you do, I will destroy your life before your eyes, understand?" Punz nodded and left. Tubbo walked back to Tommy and searched his pockets, pulling out his phone and going to Tommy's contacts. Tommy hid his face in his hoodie and Tubbo called someone, sitting next to Tommy.

"Hello?" Tommy looked at Tubbo and shook his head quickly. Tubbo thought about it for a moment. Logistically, why would Tommy have Themis's number? It made no sense. He was checking if Tommy did, and then when he found it he was checking if it was actually Themis, and it was. Why did Tommy have Themis's number? Whatever, he'd just get the information he needed and fudge the story a bit.

"I need access to your healer. My partner says you have one?"

"Who is this? It's three in the morning." Tubbo rolled his eyes.

"This is someone who needs quick access to a healer, and both the owner of this phone and my partner claim that you have access to one. Tell me their location, now." There was a heavy sigh and some shuffling from the other side of the phone.

"This a vigilante I'm talking to? It's Tommy's phone, of course it is. Only a child would be out this late at night. Where are you in West? I'll be right over." Tubbo looked down at Tommy and muted the phone.

"YOU TOLD HIM YOUR NAME?" Tommy groaned and covered his ears.

"I know him outside of vigilantism, prick. Shut up. I'm not that fucking dumb." Tubbo took a deep breath, trying to calm his anger. It made sense that Tommy would, seeing as he has his number. Tommy's just so dumb sometimes. Tubbo unmuted the phone and sighed.

"We'll be on a roof on Alt street. I'm sending the kid home so once this conversation is over I expect you to arrive but we'll have no means of communication." There was more rustling on the other side of the phone and there was a really loud noise from the other side of the phone. It quieted down after a second but it was clear someone was running. Probably Themis.

"Alright, I'm on my way now. Tell Tommy to go to bed, Wilbur will be pissed if he's too tired to pay attention tomorrow." Tubbo glared down at Tommy and hummed in agreement.

"Will do. See you soon." Tubbo hung up and threw the phone at Tommy, hitting him right in the nose. Tommy cursed and held his nose.

"So now he knows your boss. What the fuck is he to you, Tommy?" Tommy opened his mouth to speak but Tubbo cut him off. "You never even told us where you work but Themis is on a first name basis with your boss. The fuck is wrong with you? We're your roommates, not him." Tommy rolled his eyes and looked at his hand. Great. Tubbo gave him a bloody nose.

"That's because my boss is his brother, dickhead. He also stuck by me for the few months I was out of the house instead of trying to make my situation worse. That's how he met me out of the suit, by the way." Only a half lie. He met Tommy out of the suit after Tommy moved back in. Tubbo still looked pissed but not like he was going to hurt Tommy again. Tommy's head was all fuzzy, he probably wouldn't feel it that much anyways. Maybe it was better for Tubbo to get his anger out in the moment.

"You really don't trust us, do you?" Tommy sighed and stared at Tubbo.

"You can think whatever you want. You were the ass who called Themis in the first place." Tubbo rolled his eyes and glared at Tommy.

"What does that matter?" Tommy felt anger rise in him and he did his best to sit up, not making it very far.

"He doesn't know about this! Only you, Ranboo, and I guess now Punz know! Now Themis is going to know too!? I didn't even want them out, Tubbo. You fucken betrayed me by doing this shit." Tubbo stared at Tommy and huffed. He stood up and glared down at Tommy.

"Well, you'll have to face this alone then." Tubbo jumped off the roof and onto another, making his way away from Tommy. Tommy stared at Tubbo in shock.

"THIS IS WHY I DON'T TRUST YOU." Tommy shouted at Tubbo. He forced his shirt back down, hissing in pain at the fabric rubbing against his wings. He put his hoodie back on, which was more tedious than he expected. He could barely lift his hands high enough. By the time he was done he was so light headed that he just laid on the roof. There was a thump a bit away from him and someone ran over.

"Kid? Kid?! You awake?" Themis rolled him onto his back and Tommy cried out in pain. Themis cursed and lifted Tommy's back off the ground. "Sorry, is it your back?" Tommy nodded and rolled over, hiding his face in Themis's arm. His back hurt like hell. Searing hot pain running up his shoulders and down his lower back. It was horrible. Themis ran his fingers through Tommy's hair, trying to comfort him. "Where's your partner? The one who called?" Tommy felt tears prick his eyes and he shoved his face further in Themis's arm. "Ok, just relax. You're ok." Themis murmured words of encouragement in Tommy's ear and the two just sat there for a while, both trying to calm down.

"Were you the one who needed a healer?" Tommy nodded and grabbed Themis's cape, holding it close to his face. Themis wrapped his arm under Tommy's legs and picked him up, jumping off the roof and running. "You know where she lives, you could've gone yourself." Tommy shook his head and mumbled.

"My back hurt too much to walk. I passed out." Themis looked down at him and ran faster.

"How did you get injured?" Tommy shook his head and groaned quietly as the pressure on his back got worse. His black just felt like a glob of pressure and pain. It sucked. "Is it fatal?" Tommy shrugged and winced at the action.

"It's old. I haven't died yet though." Tommy's voice was hoarse and scratchy. Like his back, it hurt. Themis sighed and turned a corner.

"How old?"

"Over a year." Themis looked down at Tommy in shock. Tommy didn't elaborate.

"Only you would need a healer for an injury you got a year ago." Tommy sighed and closed his eyes. He was kind of comfortable like this. Only kind of because his back still hurt. Themis stopped and kicked at a door. Tommy bit his lip and tried hiding himself in Themis's arms. "Don't worry, you'll be safe. I'll be right here" the door opened and Themis went inside, pushing past someone to get in.

"I swear to god Themis, one more time and I'm moving." Themis walked over to the couch and sat Tommy down on the couch sideways. Tommy groaned and hid his face in the couch cushion. It was only slightly uncomfortable with his mask so close to his eye.

"I only bring him to you after he passes out, get over it. You two were probably making out or something anyways." Tommy furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Captain Puffy. She was a bit red. Tommy didn't think her and the pink haired girl were actually dating. Her name was Niki, right?

"Well what is it this time?" Captain Puffy walked over to him and he curled in on himself more.

"Something with his back, he wouldn't tell me." Captain Puffy nodded and squatted in front of Tommy. Tommy stared at Captain Puffy and dug his nails into his hands. She was the one who did interrogations. He shouldn't be there. He could call Eret. He oughta.

"Would you like some privacy?" Tommy was a bit surprised at the question, but nodded. Captain Puffy stood up and ushered Themis and Niki out of the room. Themis put up a small fight but Captain Puffy muttered something to him and he went into a different room. Captain Puffy locked the door to the room Niki and Themis went into and walked back over to Tommy.

"If you'd like, you can call your mind erasing friend over so you can make sure you have complete privacy." Tommy moved a bit of hair out of his eyes and hit the button for Eret at the same time, making sure it was inconspicuous.

"How do I know this isn't a trap to catch us?" Captain Puffy smiled and shrugged.

"I guess you don't. But we weren't really prepared for you to come in and I can imagine that if you don't want Themis to know what's wrong, you won't want me to know either. Besides, I've already met your friend." Tommy raised his eyebrows and unfurled his hands a bit. He didn't think that if Captain Puffy were to have met Eret that she'd remember them.

"How do you know it was her?" Captain Puffy took a deep breath and looked at Tommy's back. Tommy pulled his hoodie tighter around himself.

"Well, she erased mine and Themis's memory of what she looks like and her name but she let us remember that we met her." Tommy was confused for a second. Why would Eret do that? Unless he threatened them.

"They use all pronouns." Captain Puffy made an 'oh' face and nodded, smiling.

"Well thank you for correcting me. Even though I won't remember it." Tommy smiled and nodded slightly. He took a deep breath and looked at the door. "Are you going to call them?" Tommy looked at Captain Puffy and nodded. The front door opened and Eret walked in, looking at Tommy. Eret sighed and rubbed their eyes behind his sunglasses.

"Are you serious? Who is this? Why are you in this lady's house?" Tommy sighed and motioned Eret over. Eret closed the door behind her and walked over, sitting next to Tommy. "This is not the level threat I was expecting, kid. You haven't called me in months, what the fuck? Why is your hood off?" Tommy rolled his eyes and sighed. Eret put Tommy's hood back on him and Tommy swatted at Eret's hand.

"You should be happy I haven't needed you in months, prick. This isn't some random lady, this is Captain Puffy." Eret stood up quickly and backed away from the couch. Captain Puffy stood up and reached her arm out.

"Pleasure to re-meet you. Don't worry, after I heal him you can erase my memory again." Eret looked hesitant but shook Captain Puffy's hand. "I'd be ecstatic to know how your power works but I understand that's not in the cards." Eret nodded and let go of Captain Puffy's hand. She lowered her hand back to her side and looked at Tommy.

"What's wrong with him?" Captain Puffy shrugged and sat behind Tommy.

"I don't know. About to find out." Tommy took a deep breath and shook his head, shuffling away from Captain Puffy.

"Actually, you know what, it's fine. I don't need treatment. All better." Tommy turned around and tried getting off the couch, only for Eret to put their hand in front of his chest to keep him from getting up. Tommy looked up at the traitor angrily. Captain Puffy took a deep breath and spoke calmly.

"Themis said you passed out. He carried you in here because you couldn't walk. Every time you move it looks so painful. Let me heal you." Eret hummed and crouched in front of Tommy, pushing his glasses down enough so Tommy could see his eyes.

"Would I let anything bad happen to you?" Tommy bit his lip and shook his head slightly. Eret smiled and put her hand on Tommy's shoulder gently.

"Could you at least knock me out?" Eret sighed and nodded.

"Anything specific you'd like to forget?" Tommy shrugged and mumbled.

"Maybe what Tubbo said earlier. About thirty minutes ago." Eret grimaced and nodded, moving close to Tommy and whispering.

"Tommy, forget anything Tubbo said to you thirty minutes ago." Tommy's eyes fogged and closed slowly, Eret wrapping her arm around Tommy's shoulders fast enough to keep him from falling on his back. Eret looked at Captain Puffy and noticed her smiling widely.

"It's so cool.." Eret put his glasses back up and stared at Captain Puffy. "Oh, right. Lift up his hoodie for me?" Eret nodded and lifted Tommy's hoodie, noticing the strange lump under his shirt. Eret lifted Tommy's shirt and stared in shock at the sight. The barbules of Tommy's primary and secondary feathers were completely gone, only the shafts of those feathers remained. The coverts and alula were pretty much gone, the skin of the feather left exposed. The skin was covered in burn scars, and it didn't look like it'd healed properly at all. What? Eret's owl is a rescue from a forest fire, he knows a thing or two about wings healing. Eret felt like throwing up at this, though.

"Well this was unexpected." Eret nodded in agreement with Captain Puffy's statement and looked at her.

"Can you even fix this?" Captain Puffy took a deep breath and nodded.

"Of course. It's just, this might take a while. Do you think we could let the other two out of the other room? You'll have to erase their memories anyways, I'm sure." Eret hummed and nodded. If there were other people in this house, he would have to. They'd heard enough already, probably.

"Go for it. I'm sure healing reduces your energy so they could help you with that." Captain Puffy nodded and stood up, walking over to the door Themis and Niki was behind.

"You're very bright. I'm glad you're looking out for him." Eret smiled and Captain Puffy unlocked the door, getting in Themis's way from storming out of the room.

"This is a very ugly sight so, that's your warning. Don't freak out, don't say anything about it, I just need you guys to help me stay awake while I heal him." Themis nodded and tried pushing past Captain Puffy again. She didn't budge. "I'm serious, Themis. Not a word. And don't resist the memory person, either." Themis rolled his eyes and nodded.

"Yes, I know. Now let me see him." Captain Puffy moved out of the way and Themis entered the living room. Niki smiled at Captain Puffy and kissed her cheek.

"Thanks for letting us out. He wouldn't stop worrying." Captain Puffy giggled and walked Niki into the living room, walking past Themis who was paused in the middle of the room. Captain Puffy sat beside Tommy and started healing his wing, first getting rid of the infection in Tommy's back. Eret was still stood there, holding Tommy up. Niki tapped Themis's shoulder to get his attention and asked him what was wrong.

"The fire.." Niki raised her eyebrow and rolled his eyes. Themis was clearly out of it and Captain Puffy needed support. Niki walked over to Captain Puffy and rubbed her shoulder.

"So, what's your name?" Eret looked at Niki and hummed. They wouldn't remember but, better safe than sorry.

"Why would I tell you that?" Niki shrugged and looked at Tommy.

"I don't know. Just wanted to see what you'd say." Eret nodded slowly and watched Captain Puffy work. The burn scars were slowly fading away. She still had the other wing to do and she was clearly getting tired.

"Themis, get her water." Eret heard footsteps leave and a faucet turn on in another room. He didn't actually expect that to work. They expected Themis to tell them to fuck off. Themis came back with the water and handed it to Niki. Niki thanked him and forced Captain Puffy to drink the water, not making her lose her focus. It seemed like they did that a lot. How often was Captain Puffy presented with an injury like this? It didn't take long for the first wing to be healed, and Captain Puffy instantly moved on to the second.

"I don't know, Ran. It's just hard to be nice when he's always lying to us." Tubbo finished folding his shirts and put them away. Ranboo sighed from the other side of the phone and Tubbo looked at him. "That was an 'I know something you don't' sigh. What is it?" Ranboo threw up his arms in exasperation and rolled his eyes.

"I can't even sigh around you." Tubbo glared at Ranboo and he glared back. Ranboo gave up pretty quickly though. "Fine. Tommy knows the healer because he cut his leg while he was on the streets and it got infected." Tubbo raised an eyebrow and Ranboo sighed. "Intentionally, Tubbo." Tubbo's expression turned to one of horror and he stared at Ranboo in shock.

"YOU DIDN'T THINK TO TELL ME?" Ranboo rubbed his eyes and shrugged.

"Well I checked his leg and he hadn't done it since then. I figured it was a need to know basis with how paranoid about him you've been." Tubbo ran his hands through his hair and looked around the apartment. "You're both jumpy around each other right now, Tubbo. I think it's better for you to not say anything than to confront him and scare him off." Tubbo took a deep breath and looked at Ranboo.

"I am not jumpy around him." Ranboo huffed out a laugh and shook his head.

"Really? Get Tommy on the phone then." Tubbo bit his lip and looked away from Ranboo. "Tubbo... where's Tommy?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.3K 1.1K 33
"Tommy? What- it's 2 in the morning-" Phil is shaken from his half awake daze at the sight of Tommy, on his doorstep, looking like he's been through...
230K 10K 200
The Bench Trio, TommyInnit, Tubbo_, and Ranboo Beloved live in District 17, one of the poorer districts on the outskirts of L'Manburg, a major city i...
47K 1.5K 12
Tommy his dad Phil, and brothers Wilbur and Techno are the top 3 heroes. All he ever wanted to become was a hero, just like them. But, there's this o...