Thorn in the Rose {Book 1 Of...

By morgangrigori

Belle is a maid living in service of a handsome prince who she falls madly in love with. Jealous of all the o... More

A/N
Dedication
Story Aesthetic
Gifted Him with a Rose
Chapter 1: Bonjour
Chapter 2: Huntress
Chapter 4: Day of the Beast
Chapter 5: Tales by the Fire
Chapter 6: Entertains (Like Gaston)
Chapter 7: Encounters with Knives
Chapter 8: Huntress in her Natural Habitat
Chapter 9: Into the Woods
Chapter 10: The Beast
Chapter 11: The Girl in the Window
Chapter 12: Matching Stories
Chapter 13: Someone to Speak To
Chapter 14: Mentor
Chapter 15: Laying the Foundations
Chapter 16: Hatred and Jealousy
Chapter 17: Solitude
Chapter 18: Days in the Sun
Chapter 19: An Unexpected Alliance
Chapter 20: An F You Letter and A Book With A Purple Cover
Chapter 21: A Promise is a Promise
Chapter 22: The First of Many Visits
Chapter 23: The Room of Pain and Selfish Desires
Chapter 24: Partner in Crime
Chapter 25: An Unexpected Agreement
Chapter 26: Not an Idle Threat
Chapter 27: Letters and a Lost Family
Chapter 28: A Nervous Gaston and Hunting Traps
Chapter 29: Through the Darkness and the Pain
Chapter 30: The Secret Wish
Chapter 31: Yellow Sparks
Chapter 32: Valerie
Chapter 33: Powerful Words
Chapter 34: New Levels
Chapter 35: The Frozen River
Chapter 36: This Groundbreaking Discovery
Chapter 37: The Curse of the Rose
Chapter 38: Bits of Blue
Chapter 39: Fingers Crossed
Chapter 40: Poison the Waters
Chapter 41: The Bracelet
Chapter 42: How Could I Have Known
Chapter 43: The Risky Request
Chapter 44: Time Out
Chapter 45: Not Such A Bad Idea After All
Chapter 46: The Long-Awaited Day
Chapter 47: Lost Hope
Chapter 48: The Look of Heartbreak
Chapter 49: The Hidden Statue
Chapter 50: The Stormy Night
Chapter 51: The Night the Wolves Came
Chapter 52: Complicated Feelings and a Murderous Rage
Chapter 53: Tale As Old As...
Chapter 54: A Kept Promise
Chapter 55: Days in the Sun Will Come Shining Through
Forever

Chapter 3: A Bitter Anniversary

19 2 1
By morgangrigori

If someone asked me to describe the room given to me in one word, I would say it's comfortable.

A large double-sized bed is positioned in a way that is the first thing you would see. A small dresser lines a small section of the wall to the left of the bed and on the right side is a small table topped with a candle and a vase of fresh daisies probably picked from the field outside of town because I can't see these heavenly flowers being grown here in town.

A long yawn breaks its way out from my lips and my body shakes with it. Placing my boots next to the doorframe, I waste no time in getting into bed. Settling under the warm blanket and resting my weary head on the soft pillow it takes me a total of ten seconds to fall into a deep and peaceful slumber.

The sky around the castle is dark and gloomy. Like a land on the brink of being attacked by a violent storm, you know the ones with thunder that rattles so bad it sounds like the roof is about to crack in half and fall apart and lighting that lights up the sky so bright that for a split second you would swear it was day. But, this is a storm that rarely comes leaving behind a dark and angry-looking sky.

I hate but love looking at it. It's like all my emotions are being projected onto the sky. Like I'm not so alone in my anger and disappointment.

This land belonged to my father and his father before him and before him, going back sixteen generations of my family. I was supposed to take care of it and rule it as a king but I failed miserably. This castle and the area around it is a shallow corpse of what it used to be.

"Is everything alright, Your Highness?" Maurie my most faithful servant ever since I was a young boy asks from the doorway.

I am not at all surprised that Maurie is the one who came to check on me. When I am in these moods the only two people who come even remotely close to me are Maurie and Belle.

Belle. my love. my rose. The woman who has stood by my side all this time no matter what I have said in flashes of rage. The woman who gave me a rose that would give me the opportunity for this curse to break and for me to become the prince I used to be again.

A rose that hasn't even begun to break apart. Its plump and blood-red petals still look as young and graceful as the day Belle gave it to me ninety years ago.

"Your Highness?" Maurie asks again, he is trying not to show it but he is getting scared. I can't blame him, in times like this I suppose my silence is more concerning than when I speak.

Clenching my paw into a fist I press it against the window.

"Do you know what today is, Maurie?" I ask, my gruff and deep voice echoing around the room.

Maurie sighs and bows his head in sadness.

"Yes, Your Highness. How could I ever forget what today is?"

"Ninety years ago today I became this thing. Ninety years," I turn around fast, and with one swipe of my paw, I push all the items that were spread out on the table to the floor, "Ninety God damned years as a monster! Ninety years of looking at that fucking rose waiting for the petals to start falling! Ninety years!" 

Tired from my fit of rage, I slump into a chair and lean my upper body over my legs.

Maurie, who although is a bit scared, confidently walks up to me and places a firm yet comforting hand on my shoulder. He doesn't say anything. What can he say? What can he tell his prince something that he hasn't said a hundred times already over the last nine decades?

Don't worry.

It will be alright.

A petal will fall one day.

We will figure this out.

None of them will make any difference.

I hear the door creak open and Belle rush in. "What's going on here?" she asks.

"His Highness is just feeling off. I think he just needs some rest," Maurie says.

I shove Maurie's hand off my shoulder and stand up angrily.

"Stop calling me, Your Highness. I stopped being a prince long ago. Now I'm just," I glare at my paws, "Now I'm just a beast. A horrid, disgusting, disfigured monster that people and my family hated so much that they left. I'm a beast and that's all I will ever be."

I choke back a sob with the last sentence. Sinking back into the chair I cover my face with my hands and sob.

Belle rushes over and sits in the chair next to me.

"I don't understand why this happened to me," I sob. 

Neither of them does anything but after all, there is nothing they can do. There is nothing that anybody can do to help me.

After hours of crying the Beast finally fell asleep.

I'm just thankful that he had a least moved into his bed before falling asleep. With nothing else left to do here, I get up and decide to go practice some new spells in my study.

It used to be the king's study and would have been the prince's but after the curse, he gave it away along with all of his duties to me making me the prime executor of everything. For all extensive purposes, I am the queen and that is exactly what I wanted, among other things.

All those years where my father and I slaved away in this castle the endless hours, sleepless nights, ruling labour and not to mention the harsh treatment from the head servant. And what did we get for our efforts? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

The prince was all I had growing up. Every day it was the conversations I had with him that brought me joy and kept me sane. But even he was slipping away, far away into the arms of those pathetic aristocratic women with faces covered in power and those ridiculously tall wigs on.

As far as I am concerned I had to put that curse on him. It was an extreme method to use but so far it has given me everything I  have wanted.

As I reach the door I look over my shoulder at the bright red rose still enclosed under the glass casing by the window.

Closing my eyes I smile because I can still feel my magic strong in the rose. Those petals will stay on that rose until the conditions of the spell are met. Which will never happen and I will make sure of it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.2K 1.7K 19
"Mademoiselle, you mustn't be too angry with him, he has had a hard time coping, you know," the teapot spoke to me. "I have every right to be angry...
95.5K 1.7K 11
The reader is Belle's younger sister. She moved out of Villeneuve to get away from the small town. She now lives in Paris. And once every month the r...
789K 45K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
17.7K 444 8
She was a free bird who wanted to fly in sky like a carefree bird but now she is caged bird who was struggling to get out of that prison. she tried a...