The Harvest of Souls

By GabePraz

A SERIAL KILLER SHAKES THE ENTIRE POLITICAL STRUCTURE OF THE WORLD USING AN ANCIENT EVIL SPELL When junior d... More

Disclaimers
Capítulo sem título 2
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 19

182 13 0
By GabePraz

ÁSTUR

08.01.8462 - 11:52 PM

Marta's living room was crowded. Everyone had just watched Charlotte's communiqué and had been in an argument for some time.

"Can she really do this?" Asked Mila.

"She can do much more than that, Mila," Marta replied.

"Oh, God! Forbid people to come and go. This is not possible. We are in a modern age to go through this," Mila continued. "She can't have that kind of power."

"Mila, she does. Trust your mother and me," said Nair. "Right after you were born, things got better, but you've all studied. You know very well how we got to the level we are today."

"Yes, for almost twenty years, Charlotte was the total catalyst of all the kingdoms of the globe, no policy could be adopted without her consent, but so far forbidding people to cross borders, this is unimaginable, it's fiction, just like the borders themselves."

"Mila, you're a representative; you know very well that borders do exist. If they didn't exist, for what purpose would you have your work?" Marta said.

"But mom, we are not in 8,200's. The concept of borders is and must continue in decay. It can be dangerous to see ourselves as different and not as we really are: components of a globe, singular, unique. When we understand each other as different, we risk not accepting differences in others, and this, historically, always served as a reason for violent actions. Charlotte erecting walls at this point only makes everything more sensitive."

"Mila, I understand. But Charlotte has done a lot worse in the past," Nair started.

"Yes, she did, and if we don't show that this time has passed, she can go back to being as oppressive as in the past. Actually, she never stopped being a tyrant. She simply calmed down because she put the world in the way she wanted..." interrupted Mila

"Of course, and we have to assume, she did a decent job," Nair said.

"Definitely, but do the ends justify the means?" Questioned Mila.

"...a prince, so long as he keeps his subjects united and loyal, ought not to mind the reproach of cruelty; because with a few examples he will be more merciful than those who, through too much mercy, allow disorders to arise, from which follow murders or robberies; for these are wont to injure the whole people, whilst those executions which originate with a prince offend the individual only ..," quoted Mário reading from his MC's screen. "I really need to read this to you?"

"By supporting the actions Charlotte took decades ago, you qualify as a pretty idiot, my brother. But no, I don't support what happened in the past so that we could have this peaceful and prosperous present," Mila began to get excited and turn red.

"Calm down, sis. I'm just saying that we didn't live at that time," said Mário.

"Mila, when I was still young, there was fear in taking a night walk," Nair said calmly. "When I was sixteen - seventeen, I could never imagine walking the streets of Ástur after dark alone. Rape was not a legend as it is today, it was a current reality, apart from assaults, robberies, murders. And Marta, you're quite younger than me, but if a young girl was raped sixty years ago, what was everyone saying?" Questioned Nair.

"It was common sense that it would be her fault. She was probably asking for it, for being in a short outfit or wearing red lipstick," said Marta.

"What?" Scarlet joined the conversation astounded.

"Yes, we were very involuted. Even after the arduous rise of a female head of state, we were seen as objects or someone who sought to be raped. It was real nonsense," said Marta looking down.

"And it was with an iron hand that Charlotte changed this vision, Mila. It was executing many people, imposing norms and rules, making the population more equalized that she reduced violence in the world. It wasn't just for fear of punishment, it was also through education, through opportunities," Complemented Nair.

"But Nair, she created a prison in the north of the globe, in the middle of the ice, far from any life. Most were put there to die," said Mila.

"But being in the middle of the ice was something strategic. Cold clothes were not allowed, and this prevented any attempt to escape. Anyone who tried to escape would freeze in a few minutes outside the prison," Scarlet said.

"More macabre and even more perverse, Scarlet," said Mila. "And I'm not even talking about the grinding machines built south of Arkadia that executed suspects in packs. And the many crimes She committed during and after the Last War?

"Convicts, not suspects, Mila. And convicted of Superior Crimes," Marta said.

"At this point, I must agree with Mila," said Mário. "Convicted by whom? By beings other than us. Anjeamons judged them, beings that we still don't quite understand."

"Thank you, brother."

"Mila, Mário, Anjeamons are beings able to identify any lie and always bring the truth out, so they were used as a jury with decision-making power over the fate of a defendant," said Marta.

"As far as I know, Anjeamons are children who can oscillate between angels and demons. They can both bring light and joy to a place as well as instability and disturbance, depending on the attitude of those present," said Mila.

"Yes, Mila, and for that very reason, when they concluded that the defendant was innocent, most of the Anjeamons became beings of light, but when they identified that the defendant was guilty of the crimes, their forms were more frightening and grotesque. They react to the energy around them. If they perceive lies, falsehoods, and crimes, they become demons to rebuke the originator of discord, but they are angels to defend the innocent," said Marta.

"And have you ever read somewhere judgment where all seven Anjeamons agreed? A unanimous verdict? No, never, it could even get six to one, but there was always one Anjeamon who disagreed with the others. That is, there is no absolute truth. What if that one Anjeamon who acquitted a defendant was the right one, with his keenest sensitivity? And the others were wrong, and this defendant was sentenced to be dissolved in acid or crushed in a giant meat grinder?"

"Mila, please, stop this kind of subject," said Marta.

"But wasn't that what Charlotte did with those convicted of Superior Crimes?"

"I understand your point, Mila, but the world is not made only by honest people. There were many evil people, and unfortunately, those who act with violence only understand one language," said Nair.

"Evil is learned, and even though in previous generations we had the spread of violence, my generation had the precedence of living without contact with any violent attitude, this is, or at least was extinct. What is happening is punctual and will be contingent. I'm sure about that. I just don't think we need attitudes that strong and that centralizing. And since you quoted Machiavelli, I hope you remember that: "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." Finished Mila facing her brother.

There was silence in the room while only the reporter's voice came from the television, speaking at the Two Rivers Square, right in front of The Crystal.

RAGHAR

09.01.8462 - 6:15 AM

Fernand was lying on the bed beside Štěpán, both breathless; candles lit all over the room while salsa played over the radio, entirely out of step with the room's decoration. Fernand was startled when his MC began to vibrate.

"Hi, Lélia," he said, rejecting the video call and answering only the audio call. "How are you?"

"Hi Fernand, I'm still at CriSPe; I've already organized everything. I spoke to Charlotte, and she authorized you to leave Raghar and go to Pleiziň, but she will not be allowed to leave Tachlovicka for the time being. Authorities are already aware. I prepared a plane leaving Britchal airport eighteen hours from now, I confirmed it, and you really can't use a Royal Plane, either your children's or Asturia's, I'll charter one with a company there in Tachlovicka. Can I confirm the plane for tomorrow at 4 am?" Lélia said. Since her youth, she hadn't spent so much time awake straight away; she was agitated.

"Of course, it's good that I'll have time to rest a little more," he said, winking at the naked man on the bed as he passed his left hand over the man's private parts.

"Excellent. By the way, I sent something for you; it should be in the Štěpán window now. Take a look," Lélia said.

"What?" Fernand questioned, shocked that she knew exactly where he was.

"Open the window of Štěpán's room," Lélia commanded.

Fernand got up naked, went to the window, Štěpán, lying on the bed, did not know what was happening. Before opening the curtains, Fernand wrapped himself around one of them to prevent anyone outside from seeing him without clothes. When he opened the curtain, he noticed a metal cylinder smaller than a pen outside. He turned the window latch and opened it, allowing a strong cold wind to enter. He quickly grabbed the small cylinder and closed the window again. As soon as his hands closed over the cylinder, the device opened its ends. Fernand took a piece of paper from inside with one hand, holding the MC while Lélia waited on the other end of the line. The piece of paper was blank.

"Do you already have the paper in your hand?" Lélia asked.

"Yes," he said.

"Only you're looking at it?"

"Yes."

"OK," Lélia said.

At this exact moment, words began to appear on the paper, Fernand recognized Lélia's handwriting:

Think: what would be the right hand to fill Dick's position? It wouldn't be me; it would be the second. Why was I chosen? Because the second one is probably in something bigger.

Fernand mentally deciphered the message, 'It makes sense, the person best suited to take over Asturias would be the first or second secretary: Fernanda or Janaína. If Charlotte chose Lélia to take over, it's because Janaína may be involved in something bigger.'

"Do you think both are involved?" Fernand asked.

"Say goodbye to Štěpán, get dressed, and prepare for your task, Fernand."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

428 47 17
slight T/W ⚠️ Eliza and her friends encountered a dead body in the woods that appeared to be of someone she knew, the police investigated the scene a...
194K 15K 42
⭐ FEATURED ⭐ 02/16/2018 Longlisted, Wattys 2018 ✅ COMPLETE Jocasta's nineteen years of peaceful existence in a little village of the Kingdom of On...
150K 4.9K 87
Gwen, desperate to feel something, kills someone. But she quickly learns that one kill is never enough. Can Gwen stop before she turns on her own fam...
176 2 15
'She could hear his dog tags jingling as he walked. The blood dripping knife she saw in his hand had her paralyzed in her own fear. That look he had...