Koldis the Green (DRAGONWALL...

By addicted2dragons

Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the fores... More

Author's Note
MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1: ARRIVING IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 2: LORD MARQUIN
CHAPTER 3: SICKNESS IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 4: ARRIVAL IN KASTALI DUN
CHAPTER 5: CATS HAVE CLAWS
CHAPTER 6: LEARNING THE LANGUAGE
CHAPTER 7: PASSING TIME IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 8: DONE WAITING
CHAPTER 9: A PLEDGE OF SUPPORT
CHAPTER 10: CALLING WATER
CHAPTER 11: BLOOD LINES
CHAPTER 12: AN ANCIENT SPRITE
CHAPTER 13: LEARNING FOCUS
CHAPTER 14: NEGOTIATIONS
CHAPTER 15: THE GREAT STONE ROAD
CHAPTER 16: MASTERING ELEMENTS
CHAPTER 17: TAUNTING TAYLYNN
CHAPTER 18: BAGRADAS
CHAPTER 19: A POISONOUS SOLUTION
CHAPTER 20: BREWING POISON
CHAPTER 21: TRAVELING TO ASHVALE
CHAPTER 22: FORT LEADER VOTE
CHAPTER 23: ANSWERS IN ASHVALE
CHAPTER 24: DRINK OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CHAPTER 25: IMPOSSIBLE TRUTHS
CHAPTER 26: RETURNING TO ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 27: END OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 28: NOBLE FAMILIES
CHAPTER 29: TAMING A CAT
CHAPTER 30: A QUEEN IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 31: A SURPRISE VISIT
CHAPTER 32: A TRADE
CHAPTER 33: FROM STONE TO SCALE
CHAPTER 34: THE KING TREE
CHAPTER 35: CONFRONTING JADE
CHAPTER 36: HEALER'S ORDERS
CHAPTER 37: PREPARING FOR SOLSTICE
CHAPTER 38: SOLSTICE SURPRISE
CHAPTER 39 (BONUS!!): SOLSTICE BALL
CHAPTER 40: COMMISSIONING A BOW
CHAPTER 41: SNEAKING AWAY
CHAPTER 42: PARTING WAYS (BONUS!)
CHAPTER 43: ARRIVING AT CAMP (BONUS!!)
CHAPTER 44: TIME IN THE TENT
CHAPTER 46: FLYING
CHAPTER 47: A KING'S SUPPORT
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER 45: A NEW VOYAGE

18.8K 1.4K 123
By addicted2dragons

Celenore's Coast

Bennett stepped out of the rowboat, glancing over his shoulder to the ship behind him. Lady Faith bobbed just beyond the shallows, her crew busy at work unloading cargo into rowboats. As promised, he'd instructed Cat to remain aboard and below deck. He'd remain true to his word—wouldn't mention anything about her presence. Besides, if she encountered anyone here who knew her, he didn't want to enact any of his rights to keep her on as crew. Things were simply easier this way. Yes, perhaps he'd become a little selfish. She was a good healer, after all. Then again, anyone with a shred of magic was better than what he'd had before.

The other ships had weighed anchor along the coast too. Dwargs had already begun disembarking, doing much the same as his crew. They were far enough from Squall's End that the dragons wouldn't notice them. And hopefully the darkness of night helped with that, should any of the beasts happen to drift out to the mouth of Stormy Bay.

Hopefully.

Mikkin was at his side, along with a few other Dwargs. Jamie and Unka were busy helping with the cargo. His boots squished in the sand, making walking harder. He strode forward, approaching the small crowd that had gathered on the beach. "I'll find you later," Mikkin said, branching away to go oversee their efforts. He grunted, watching him disappear.

A darker skinned Drengr peeled away from the main group that had gathered, coming straight for him. "You must be Captain Bennett. We met. Not sure if you remember?"

"Ahh, yes. Lord Bedelth. Pleased to see you again." They grasped forearms. Beaky chose that moment to fly overhead, circle around, then land on his shoulder.

Bedelth nodded, his eyes darting to the bird and back. His lips tipped up at the corners. "Didn't expect you here, but can't say I'm surprised. Heard you were one of the best merchant captains in Dragonwall. After the delivery of that ice metal a several months back, I didn't doubt it."

He lifted his chin, but opted for modesty. "Rumors are rumors. I let my actions speak for themselves."

"Certainly. And what of this?" Bedelth asked. "No problems?"

Bennett glanced around and said, "Everything went without issue. Took some time getting loaded up and out of the port. But smooth sailing after that. As you can see, we've got our vessels unloading now. I was told some of your Drengr might help with that. Most of it's being rowed to shore. Could take all night."

Bedelth nodded, his eyes glancing over the activity on the beach. "I anticipated as much. The armor?"

"You'll have to speak with Lord Dubrael's folk about that," Bennett said. "But I understand there's a fair amount. How do you plan to get it to the camp?"

"Camp's not far from here. We can transport it under the cover of darkness." Bedelth hesitated. "You'll be taking your leave after this? What are your plans next?"

He lifted a shoulder. He had a few ideas, but none that he wanted to voice to the king's right hand. Shields were the innermost circle of Dragonwall's hierarchy. They looked out for their king and their kingdom. His affairs weren't much their concern. "Perhaps we'll see where the seas take us."

To a busy port, first and foremost, since he owed Cat a bunch of ingredients for her work.

Bedelth nodded. "If that's the case, I've a request, if you'd like to hear it. Could be dangerous."

He lifted his eyebrows. "Oh? Danger always has a way of finding me, whether I want it or not. But...you've got my attention."

"There's been talk of Kane visiting Oshea. You heard that?"

"Kane, huh?" He gave nothing away. "And? If I have?"

"You are from Oshea, are you not?" At this, Bennett's eyes narrowed. "It's your hair, Captain, your accent, your skin, the shape of your features. Don't worry, I haven't spent my time tracking down information on you. A lucky guess is all."

"Right. Well then, what exactly are you asking?"

Bedelth rubbed the back of his neck, then motioned him away from the others. He followed, until they were separated so none might overhear. The activity on the beach had already increased as more and more rowboats arrived, unloading. "What's the likelihood you might...nip across the Dragonfire sea? Pay Oshea a visit?"

He rubbled the stubble on his chin, humming. "I don't often travel that way. Try to avoid it when I can. I guess it depends on the pay and the need."

"Right. The need is great. And as for the pay, I'll pay in advance, half now, half when you return. We want to know why Kane's been traveling there. What he's got up his sleeve. I'd imagine you can get some of the folks there to talk? Sailers are a chatty sort, are they not?"

He grunted. "When you get 'em drunk enough. Yes. How much you talking?" Bedelth removed a bag of coins, handed it over, allowing Bennett to heft it. "A fair bit, then?"

"Aye. A fair bit. This is important to our king. You can be discreet, yes?"

"Quite." He hesitated. Was he really going to accept this—so easily? He hadn't quite charted their next path beyond getting supplies for Cat. He figured he'd just see what work needed doing, what cargo needed shipping. But this...

It was good pay. A path—a direction. Possible danger. But danger that would take him out of Dragonwall for a time. And wasn't that a good thing? He had a feeling that events taking place in the kingdom were about to get dicy. So yes, maybe this would be a good thing.

"I accept," he said at last, pocketing the bag of coins.

"Good." Bedelth hesitated. "What?"

"Might have to make a few stops for supplies first. Got a...well never mind."

"Your buisness is your own. We've got matters of our own here—Fort Squall, namely. It will take you a couple of months, I'm sure, before you find answers. Return to Kastali Dun when you've gathered some intel. I'll see that the king pays you the rest of what you're owed. In the mean time, that should be enough for the journey, for your crew, and bribes to boot."

"More than enough," he answered, his mind already running through preparations.

"Excellent. Well then," Bedelth said, backing up several steps. He saluted him with two fingers, then turned on his heel, not bothering with goodbyes. Bennett watched him go, squishing awkwardly through the sand. Was there a way to trudge through sand with dignity? Not usually. A grin stretched across his features. There had to be several hundred gold coins in that bag. Enough dragons to make this journey well worth while.

***

The sunrise across the coast was vibrant and peaceful. They'd managed to unload everything. Some of the ships were already departing. The Dwargs had formed ranks, would be marching their way to camp on foot, as would the Drengr who'd come to help with the cargo. Wagons were loaded up, horses hitched. It would be a slow transport, a couple of days to arrive at camp. But that wasn't Bennett's problem.

He stood on the beach facing Mikkin, Jamie, Unka, and the Dwarg, Berbik. "Well, I suppose this is goodbye for now," he said, taking Mikkin's shoulder.

"You sure you won't stay? Sail up the coast and meet us closer to camp? Would be fun to share in the glory of battle."

He grunted. "I faced enough battles on sea. No, thank you. Glory's all yours."

"Figured you'd say that. Had to ask anyway."

Bennett nodded, then he eyed Mikkin a moment longer. "I really hope you find what your looking for. I hope you regain some of what you lost in the days to come." He was referring to Mikkin's family. There'd been plenty of time out at sea for Mikkin to open up about his past. He didn't envy the man for losing his family. He'd never had a wife, children, couldn't know what it was like. But he'd lost crew, and that always hurt. So he imagined it must be far worse.

"Form up!" came the call from farther up the beach.

"Well, I guess that's our signal," Mikkin said.

He released his shoulder, then clasped hands with Jamie. "You'll take good care of him, I hope."

"Of course, Captain. He's become like family to me now." There was a wince in Jamie's voice.

He nodded. "Perhaps you'll find your parents in Squall's End, lad. I sure hope so."

"Me too," Jamie said.

He looked at Unka, gave the Gobelin a curt bow of his head. "Hope things go all right for you, Unka." He still didn't trust the creature, but Cat had taken a liking to him, had even asked if he'd stay on as crew—without seeking her captain's permission, no less—but Unka had declined. He had family waiting for him in Pavv.

"Thank you, Captain. Tell mistress I will miss her."

He nodded, turning to Berbik. "Farewell, Master Dwarg. I wish you all the best."

"Thank you, Captain," Berbik said with his guttural accent.

He gave them all a final bow, then turned and left, retreating to the remaining rowboat waiting to take him back to Lady Faith. It was a quick trip, and soon he was on the deck of his ship where he waited and watched. Watched as the procession of supplies and Dwargs winded its way up the beach, past the bluffs, and out of sight.

"Well," said Jonah, coming to stand beside him. "Another journey, another job complete. You still interested in heading to port. We could stop in the Scattered Islands. I'm sure there'll be plenty of supplies for Cat."

"That there will, my friend. That there will." He turned to Jonah, removed the bag of gold from his pocket, and handed it over. Jonah's eyes went wide. He pulled loose the drawstring. Then his jaw dropped.

"But...there must be...?"

"Probably a couple hundred. I'll need to go below and count them."

"But...what for?"

"Our next job of course. Scattered Islands first, but after that, we sail for Oshea."

"Osh—" Jonah cut himself off to swear under his breath.

"Yes, indeed. We've got a long road ahead of us. I'll tell you about it below. Ready the crew to depart, get everything in order, then come to my cabin."

"Aye, aye, Captain. At once."

Jonah began shouting orders. Bennett took only a moment to see his crew burst to life, then strode across the deck and slipped below. He found Cat sitting at his desk when he entered his cabin. Her jaw was tense.

"Everything wen't well?" she asked. That she cared so much surprised him.

"It did indeed." He tossed the bag of coins on the desk. Her eyes locked on it, mouth going slack. "Yes, that is exactly what you think it is. Coin. Plenty of it."

"But..." Her hand darted out to grab it. He used it as an excuse to touch her, snatching her wrist, forcing her to release the bag. "I was only going to look."

"Mmm-hmm." He brushed a thumb over her pulse, absentmindedly, before releasing her wrist and striding around the desk. "I'll count them in a moment. Came from Lord Bedelth. We've got our next assignment." Her shrewed gaze darted over his face. "After we get your supplies, we set sail for Oshea. I told you I'd show you the world, Kitty Cat. Did I not?"

This time, she didn't bother scratching him with her claws. Instead, her mouth dropped open. He let a smile pull his lips wide. "Oshea?" she repeated.

"Indeed. Oshea. We've been charged with gathering intel. I'm wondering how you might play into that. A pretty girl like you? You wouldn't happen to be good at coercing information from people, would you?" He already knew the answer.

"What's in it for me?" she asked, leaning back, crossing her arms. He allowed his eyes to dart down to the bag of coins, pointedly. "Fine," she said. "Done. What else?"

"Oh, that'll be all for now."

A wicked smile took form on her lips. "Something tells me I'm going to enjoy this."

"I certainly hope so," he said, barking a laugh. "Now, get gone. I have gold to count. And no, I don't need your help doing it. Go."

Reluctantly, she scooted her chair back and stood. At the door, she paused, then looked over her shoulder at him, a wicked gleam to her eyes. "I look forward to working with you, Captain." And damned if he didn't believe it. He couldn't help his chuckle as she slipped out and closed the door behind her. Something told him that adding her to his crew was going to have all sorts of benefits. And the fun had only just begun.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Hello again, Bookdragons!

Muhuhahah, Captain Bennett is one of my wild cards. While I have my biggest characters mapped out, I like to keep a few aces in my hat? Is that the best term to use here? Captain Bennett is much like the seas he sails. I usually don't know what i'm going to do with him until I have a need to use him. I sort of ...let him drift here and there. I've kept him around because I have so much fun writing his character, because he is one of my chess pieces, and because I can always find a use for him. 

-Mel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

453 106 33
Vale Havon and Aberon had been at war for thirty years. Three decades of battle on the Eastern plains of Vale Havon's lands. This is why on the Weste...
1.8K 94 9
Sometimes fate brings you exactly what you need before you even realize it. *** Brigid Kelly has lost everything and no amount of spells or wishes st...
26.1K 2.9K 82
Magic or family? The choice will change her life forever. *** Lillith Hemlock is the last i...
41.2K 6.1K 29
Prince Theodred isn't interested in the responsibilities that come with his title. The only thing he is interested in is partying, flirting, and the...