The Hunger Games: Prim [REWRI...

By illiterate-writer

What if Katniss never volunteered for Prim? What would her story be like? Most likely, she would have been ki... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: The Day of the Reaping
Chapter 2: The Odds
Chapter 3: Learning to Cherish Life
Chapter 4: Much Needed Advice
Chapter 5: Remember Me
Chapter 6: We Each Have a Story
Chapter 7: Training Day
Chapter 8: The Last Few Days
Chapter 9: Big day. Interview Day.
Chapter 10: Me, Peeta, Katniss, Cinna, and....the Arena
Chapter 11: Let the 74th Hunger Games Begin!
Chapter 12: The Stream
Chapter 13: Fire and Water
Chapter 14: Stung to Death
Chapter 15: Life Get's Better
Chapter 16: Destroying
Chapter 17: Noah
Chapter 18: Claudius Templesmith's Announcement
Chapter 19: Peeta but not Thresh
Chapter 20: Leaving Peeta
Chapter 21: On a Pedestal in the Middle of the Arena
Chapter 22: Katniss Meets Peeta
Chapter 23: Nightlock
~A/N~ Author's Note
Chapter 25: The End of the Games
Chapter 26A: More Perspectives (The Annoying Chapter)
Chapter 26B: The Games are not Over
Chapter 27: The End
One Shot Contest: Rules
Epilogue (One Shot Winner)
Catching Fire: Prim
Going Global
PLEASE READ

Chapter 24: Where's Cato?

15.6K 652 534
By illiterate-writer

"I still don't get it," Peeta says. Katniss and I have to explain all over about what nightlock is and about how that killed Jacqueline.

"Oh wow," Peeta says when he finally understands. Then Katniss starts to scoop up more of the berries and opens up her pouch, putting the nightlock inside.

"If it fooled Jacqueline, Cato may be fooled as well," she tells us. I open up the zipper in my jacket and show Katniss the nightlock that I had already stored up.

"Smart girl," she tells me.

"Wow," I say. "There's only Cato left."

"And Enobaria" Peeta adds.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about her.

"Let's make a fire and then cook the food that I got, I'm starving," Katniss says.

"What if Cato finds us?" Peeta questions.

"There are three of us, and only two of them. Would he dare? We're practically sending an invitation with the fire," Katniss says as she starts to rub sticks together that she has miraculously found in a few seconds. Peeta processes the thought then gathers some damp wood. Soon, rabbits, squirrels and roots wrapped in leaves are baking in the damp wood.

I stand up, being fully alert, just incase Cato comes. But he doesn't.

We decide that when the food is finished, we would take it with us and go somewhere else. I look around and find some big leaves that we can wrap the food in. But he doesn't come. Where's Cato?

We pack up the food in the leaves, and walk back to the cave. I walk in the front, and from the corner of my eye, I notice Katniss planting a kiss on Peeta's cheek.

"I shouldn't have seen that," I mutter under my breath and walk a bit faster.

I open up the leaf that I am carrying, and take out some rabbit meat and start biting off the leg to keep myself occupied. The meat is good. We haven't eaten in a while.

With the meat to boost us up, we're already at the cave. We open up the leaves and eat properly, not as we climb over rocks.

"I'm so glad that we are three people, Cato's scary!" I exclaim as I bite into my second rabbit.

Thank you Claudius. Thank you Gamemakers. For sending Katniss to me.

Then we watch the seal in the sky, and the picture of Jacqueline, then her little sister. They were both young. No one deserved to die.

We wrap up the food that we will save for tomorrow and decide on shifts.

"I'll go first," Katniss volunteers. "I'm not sleepy anyways."

Peeta and I drift off to sleep...

The next thing I remember is Peeta shaking me slightly, telling me to wake up.

"Prim, wake up," he tells me. I open my eyes then yawn.

"My turn?" I whisper, barely audible.

"Yeah," Peeta replies as he lays down, probably tired from his shift.

"Ok, sleep well," I tell him as I sit up. Peeta soon drifts off to sleep.

Nothing is happening, what will the Gamemakers do? I don't want to find out. I remember when nothing happened last time, they made that fire wall, and Rue and I ran away. That was scary. What will they do next? Something big... Yes definitely.

I think for a while by my own, watching the sky turn purple, pink, orange, then finally blue.

I watch as Katniss and Peeta both wake up at a similar time.

"I feel like something's gonna happen today," Katniss says.

"Why?" I ask.

"I just...feel like it," Katniss replies. Does it feel like something will happen today? Maybe a bit...

"We should hunt, there's no sense in wasting another day," Katniss says.

"We should eat before we hunt though, we're all exhausted," Peeta contributes.

So then we open up the leaves and eat up all the food that we left from yesterday. There was a lot, it filled our stomachs.

"Once we leave we probably can't come back, we're taking everything with us," Peeta says. And I think he's right, I feel like once we leave, we'll never come back to the cave again.

We each carry a few items. I get the two spears, then I realize that my hands are greasy. The spears kind of slip so I say, "Let's go to the stream to wash,"

"Okay," Katniss says as we walk out of the cave.

As we walk, I think about how long we've been to arena, and how much time we have left. I think Katniss is right. This is the last day. It's the last day, and there is a 50% chance that we could be dead, 50% chance we could be alive.

Peeta's voice breaks my thoughts.

"The stream is dry," he says. And he's right, because when I look up, I see that the stream dried out.

"They're driving us to the lake," Katniss says.

"What about the pond?" Peeta asks.

"I doubt it," I return.

Katniss just shrugs.

"It won't hurt to try the pond," she says, and so we start walking again, climb over rocks, and walk and walk. We have a bottle of water, but with three people in the hot sun, we'll run out soon.

The pond only confirms our thoughts. It's dry.

"They're driving us to the lake," I repeat Katniss' words.

"Should we go now or later?" Peeta questions.

"Now, we are well rested and full, we can be tired later," Katniss says thoughtfully.

We walk, and the spears are heavy now but it's still bearable. We keep walking, but we don't get there yet. We keep walking, but it's so far away. At one point, we pass a tree, and at the bottom are the ashes of the tracker jacker nest. I remember Glimmer's dead body, me tugging at her shoe, and Peeta telling us to run...Wow, it's been a long time.

After trekking for a long long time, we finally arrive at the lake. We fill up the bottle and have long gulps in the lake. Right now, how clean the water is didn't really matter; we're dehydrated.

"The sun is going down," I say (~A/N~ Yea, it's a Safe and Sound reference).

"Yea, it's gonna be dark soon," Peeta says as we look up into the sky.

"Why isn't Cato coming?"

"He want's it to be dark."

'What should we do?"

"Wait for about an hour."

We sit by the lake for an hour, or approximately. There is no time telling device in this arena, except the daily seal and anthem that will tell you if the day is over.

"Where's Cato?" I mutter under my breath. It's been a long time, and he should come soon. Not that I want him to come, but I mean...I want to escape these games. I'm about to say to Katniss and Peeta that we should leave soon when Cato finally makes an appearance.

Cato crashes through the trees in the distance, heading towards us. He has no weapon at all.

"Why is he charging at us without anything?" I think out loud. Then I realize that I have a weapon, the spear. I throw it at him, and my aim is terrible. I wasted a spear. Stupid me.

Cato keeps running towards us and I'm really scared. This could be our last moment. He reaches us and I'm about to close my eyes, but Cato just runs between us. He is panting hard. What's up with him? I turn around and I see what it is.

A pack of humongous wild dogs with razor sharp claws, four inches long. Mutts.

~A/N~ I'm soooo sorry about the late chapter, but a chapter is better than no chapter, right?

I hope this was good enough for you guys, and I hope you guys enjoyed it  :P

You guys are really the best! Love yall!

-Monica

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.3K 3.1K 24
-In a small town in Virginia..., Selina Moon, a girl named after the stars. A secret streamer as well, that only one of her irl's know about. Tommy...
13.4K 509 27
"Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver, the other's gold." Luna Silver was satisfied in life. She had all a young twenty-something living...
2.3M 117K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
901K 41.4K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...