I'm Not That Girl // A. Bridg...

By haleystagner89

Lady Alina Bridgerton is starting her first season with new husbands family but with Lady Whistledown keeping... More

Cast
Playlist
Part I
Lady Alina Bridgerton
Diamond of the First Water
Diamond of the First Water II
Diamond of the First Water III
Shock and Delight
Shock and Delight II
Art of the Swoon
An Affair of Honor
Part Two
The Duke and I
Swish
Oceans Apart
Oceans Apart II
After the Rain
After the Rain II
Little Cries
Fin
Sick - Not An Update
Season Two Cast
Part Three
The Letter
Capital R Rake
Capital R Rake II
Off to the Races
(BONUS CHAPTER)
Off to the Races II
Not forgotten/Chapter Coming Soon
A Bee in Your Bonnet
A Bee in Your Bonnet II
A Bee in Your Bonnet III
Victory
Victory II
Part Four
An Unthinkable Fate
An Unthinkable Fate II

Heart Stopping

11.5K 333 17
By haleystagner89

Alina sang softly to herself as she sat in the rocking chair stationed by the window of the nursery. London had been pleasantly peaceful the last few weeks as most of the ton had left the city. True to his word, Anthony had left the day before with the younger children and Violet to Aubrey Hall and Alina was quite sad to see them all go. She had gotten used to Anthony laying beside her and waking up to the sound of him snoring slightly in the morning. Somehow he had forced himself to be a rather light sleeper and when she would rise in the morning and leave the bed, Anthony would shoot awake and ask her what was wrong and if she needed something he would jump from the bed and retrieve it for her. It was as endearing as it was annoying at times. Looking down to her where her baby resided, Alina smiled and ran her hands over her gown. She had just a little over a month left and she would be able to hold the little thing and her arms and she doubted that she would be able to put her baby down once they had arrived. "Just a little longer, my love. We need you to stay put so don't get any ideas." She only received a small kick in response.

"Alina, do you have a moment?" Eloise spoke up from the doorway. Alina looked over to the young Bridgerton and noticed the uncomfortable look she had as she stood just outside of the nursery. Since the end of the season, Alina had come to realize how uncomfortable Eloise was wherever babies were involved. She had tried to ask Alina how she came to be with child but the older girl quickly changed the subject knowing Violet would have her head.

"Of course, if you wouldn't mind helping me up. I'm craving a snack." Eloise simply nodded and sped over and after grabbing Alina's hands she gently pulled. After a few seconds both girls giggled until Alina was steady on her feet.

"Is it always that hard for you to stand?" Eloise asked, amazed.

"Unfortunately, it is. You should see me in the morning, I basically roll like a turtle stuck on their back." Eloise laughed and walked beside her as the two made their way down the hall. "No, what is it that you wanted to speak to me about?"

"Well...it's about Lady Whistledown." Eloise paused, waiting for the usual eye roll and sigh of annoyance that she usually got with anyone else. But nothing came and when she turned to Alina, her sister-in-law was patiently waiting for her to continue. "It's just that, all of the mystery surrounding her and her view on everything was what got me through this season. Do you think she will return next season? I'll need her to help me through everything and if she doesn't return what should I do? Mama won't allow me to skip another season to be ready. Not that I will ever be ready but I don't know what to do, Lina."

"That is indeed a lot for you to be stressed over, El. It's alright to feel as if you aren't ready. No one will fault you for that and not wanting this life because not everyone wants it. Being a girl is unfair in our world, perhaps in the future it will be different and women will be able to be who they want and chase their dreams. Lady Whistledown will return next year, I am sure she has much more to say. She will be here for you, and I would love to discuss her new writings with you when they come." Eloise nodded and once they reached the drawing room Eloise took a seat on one of the couches leaving Alina to take a seat beside Javier.

"Alina, your shoes don't match." Javier teased as he continued to read the latest paper that had been dropped off earlier that morning.

"Really? I've always wanted to know what being a rainbow would be like." Javier chuckled and moved over to give her more room.

"Anthony's letter arrived a few moments ago." Alina reached for a small cake and quickly took a bite before reaching for the letter in her brother's hand, with the seal still intact.

Dearest Alina,

I am sorry that I couldn't be there when you awoke this morning. Hopefully you slept well and got enough rest. I had spent the entire night turning about and I half expected to be met with a pillow strike from you however when nothing came it caused me to miss you even more.

Aubrey Hall was just as we had left it and the staff had already prepared everything we may need for the baby as my mother informed them of our news. I have always made sure to inform our cook about your latest craving items and they shall all be ready for you when you return. There is so much I wish to discuss when you arrive so please join me in our home.

With all my love,

Anthony

Alina giggled as she read the last few lines of the letter and placed it beside her. "It seems they made it safely and they are ready for us to join them."

"Will we be leaving tomorrow morning?" Asked Eloise, writing in her diary.

"Yes, I believe so. I shall inform Marie and make sure that the carriage is prepared." True to her words, Alina awoke quite early in the morning and after laying in bed listening to the soft sounds of the rain against her windows, Alina was dressed in a comfortable dress for the short journey to the country.

"Are you sure that we have everything?" Alina asked Marie for the tenth time that hour.

"Yes, my lady. I have triple checked everything and there is nothing left for us to do but depart." Marie responded with a gentle tone. Alina had thought that she was missing something as she just felt off, in a way that she couldn't even describe. With a sigh, Alina nodded and looked around her room for the last time for quite awhile. 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ 

Anthony paced through his study as he waited. Alina, Javier, and Eloise should have left earlier that morning but as the rain continued and the winds began to pick up he began to worry. Looking down to his father's pocket watch once again. They should have been there already."

"Anthony, are you alright?" Violet asked, coming into the study to see her sun moving about. Earlier that morning he had received a haircut and shave, causing him to look quite different from what she had gotten used to..

"It is almost time for dinner, why are they not here yet? Do you think that something might have happened?" He asked stopping to stare out the window at the worsening weather.

"My dear, I am sure they will be here soon."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The howling wind and pouring rain beat against the humid carriage as it carefully made its way down the road and Alina sighed softly as she continued to gently fan herself. Eloise sat across from her and Javier reading Alina's copy of Jane Austen while Javier leaned his head against the window dozing off here and there. They were reaching the end of their journey which Alina was thankful for, her back was aching and she just felt as if she were melting within the small compartment. Suddenly there was a bright flash of lightning and a loud clash of thunder which was deafening and the carriage lurched forward. Eloise yelped in surprise, dropping her book as the speed of the carriage shook violently before the entire world turned to the side causing Alina's vision to go black and soundless.

 A high pitched ringing was the first thing Alina could remember. She didn't know how long she had been laying there but the next thing she came to realize was someone was calling her name but they sounded as if they were far away. She wanted to open her eyes but they had just felt so heavy and the next thing she had come to realize was how cold she began to feel. Forcing herself to open her eyes Alina came face to face with her brother's concerned face. Javier let out a sigh of relief and ran his hands through his soaking hair.

"Are you alright? Are you in any pain?" He asked quickly, looking over her form as if looking for something. Alina finally looked around her, trying to put together what had happened. The entire compartment was turned upside down and there was quite a bit of water around her. As she sat on what used to be the roof, the water came up to her shoulders and she was soaked completely through her clothing and her hair had fallen out of its bun and laid sticking to her face and arms. The door to the carriage had been pushed open and Eloise stood on the either side peering in. "I'll help you stand. We need to get out of the water and climp up the hill to the road." Javier gently helped her stand and Eloise reached forward to help them both out of the little doorway.

"Eloise, are you alright?" Alina asked with a shiver. Eloise nodded and wrapped Alina in a tight hug, the young girl's scared tears mixed with the rain. Eloise nodded quickly, not trusting her own voice. Javier moved closer to the two of them and quickly and carefully led them out of the creek. Finally after a few minutes of slipping in the mud and wiping the rain from their eyes they finally began to see Aubrey Hall come closer.

"Thank god...we're almost there." Eloise would have smiled if she had the energy. Alina didn't respond as her head began to throb. Her feet were aching and with every step pain would shoot up her spine. She still felt slightly dazed from when Javier had woken her after the crash. 'Almost there...just a little farther.' Alina began to count her steps to give her mind something to focus on. It was barely noticeable at first once she took about ten to fifteen steps that the same shot of pain had begun to radiate from her lower back to her side and finally her extended stomach. Alina tightened her grip on Javier's as he helped her move forward and she huffed as she began to feel a tightness in her stomach.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Hello my beautiful readers, 

I will have the next chapter up soon! 

I love you all. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 7.4K 22
❝ i don't suppose you remember me, do you benedict? ❞ ❝ belle! you've grown ... i mean you're a lady now! ❞ ❝ i think 'lady' might be a bit...
148K 3.8K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
36.1K 1K 15
The whole town knew who much Emmaline Davison and Anthony Bridgerton despised each other to the point they couldn't be seen in the same room as one a...
68.8K 1.5K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...