Thunder Roars || LOK Mako x OC

By lqvely_luna

Lei, granddaughter of the late Azula, has been trained as a firebender since she was a little girl and was ta... More

The Thunder Roars: Intro
Book 1 ~ Chapter 1
Book 1 ~ Chapter 2
Book 1 ~ Chapter 3
Book 1 ~ Chapter 4
Book 1 ~ Chapter 5
Book 1 ~ Chapter 6
Book 1 ~ Chapter 7
Book 1 ~ Chapter 8
Book 1 ~ Chapter 9
Book 1 ~ Chapter 10
Book 1 ~ Chapter 11
Book 1 ~ Chapter 12
Book 1 ~ Chapter 13
Book 1 ~ Chapter 14
Book 1 ~ Chapter 15
Book 1 ~ Chapter 16
Book 1 ~ Chapter 17
Book 1 ~ Chapter 18
Book 1 ~ Chapter 19
AUTHORS NOTE: Link to ATLA Comic
Book 1 ~ Chapter 20
Book 1 ~ Chapter 21
Book 1 ~ Chapter 22
Book 1 ~ Chapter 23
Book 1 ~ Chapter 24
Book 1 ~ Chapter 25
Book 1 ~ Chapter 26
Book 1 ~ Chapter 27
Book 1 ~ Chapter 28
Book 1 ~ Chapter 29
Book 1 ~ Chapter 30
Book 1 ~ Chapter 31
AUTHORS NOTE: 5 day break
Book 1 ~ Chapter 32
Book 1 ~ Chapter 33
Book 1 ~ Chapter 34
Book 2 ~ Chapter 1
Book 2 ~ Chapter 2
Book 2 ~ Chapter 3
Book 2 ~ Chapter 4
Book 2 ~ Chapter 5
Book 2 ~ Chapter 6
Book 2 ~ Chapter 7
Book 2 ~ Chapter 8
Book 2 ~ Chapter 9
Book 2 ~ Chapter 10
Book 2 ~ Chapter 11
Book 2 ~ Chapter 12
Book 2 ~ Chapter 13
Book 2 ~ Chapter 14
Book 2 ~ Chapter 15
Book 2 ~ Chapter 16
Book 2 ~ Chapter 17
Book 3 ~ Chapter 1
Book 3 ~ Chapter 2
Book 3 ~ Chapter 3
Book 3 ~ Chapter 4
Book 3 ~ Chapter 5
Book 3 ~ Chapter 6
Book 3 ~ Chapter 7
Book 3 ~ Chapter 8
Book 3 ~ Chapter 9
Book 3 ~ Chapter 10
Book 3 ~ Chapter 11
Book 3 ~ Chapter 12
Book 3 ~ Chapter 13
Book 3 ~ Chapter 14
Book 3 ~ Chapter 15
Book 3 ~ Chapter 16
Book 3 ~ Chapter 17
Book 4 ~ Chapter 1
Book 4 ~ Chapter 2
Book 4 ~ Chapter 3
Book 4 ~ Chapter 4
~ One Year Anniversary ~
Q&A
Book 4 ~ Chapter 5
Book 4 ~ Chapter 6
Book 4 ~ Chapter 7
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Book 4 ~ Chapter 8
Book 4 ~ Chapter 9
Book 4 ~ Chapter 10
Book 4 ~ Chapter 11
Book 4 ~ Chapter 12
Book 4 ~ Chapter 13
Book 4 ~ Chapter 14
THANK YOU FOR 1M!
Book 4 ~ Chapter 16
Book 4 ~ Chapter 17
Book 5 ~ Chapter 1

Book 4 ~ Chapter 15

3.7K 73 17
By lqvely_luna

Korra, Lei, and Wu had arrived at the Foggy Bottom Swamp, a place with strong history. They sat atop a cliff, admiring the view of the vast swamp. If they weren't careful, they would be lost for ages.

"The Swamp is a really strange place. But if you stick with me and Naga you'll be fine," Korra says as she turns to look at Wu, she turned to Lei, "Follow closely behind me, Lei,"

They carefully entered the swamp, sticking closely together. Many Fauna were passerbys such as Giant flies, Possum Chickens, and Frog Squirrels. Wu began to feel anxious and brought out his bug spray, ready to attack any bug that comes near him.

"Let's just find Toph and get out of here," Wu says hurriedly.

"First, I have to figure out where she is," Korra says.

"I thought you said you've been to her house before," Wu asks.

"It's more like a... weird hermit's cave. And yes, I've been there before but there aren't exactly street signs we can follow," Korra answers as she gets off Naga. Lei halts Kaya to stop.

"Then how will we know which way to go?" Wu asks once more.

"Energy flows differently here. I can tap into it and connect with Toph," Korra answers, as she places her hand on one of the trees roots.

"Speaking of flowing..." Wu says as he gets off Naga and walks over to a tree to use it as a lavoratory. Lei gets off Kaya and walks toward Korra.

"Korra, what is Toph like?" Lei asks, Korra turns to her.

"She's hardheaded, bit stubborn, but she is a loyal fighter. Why do you ask?" Korra turns a question to her, Lei shifts nervously.

"History shows that my grandmother and her never really got along, so I'm quite nervous to what she might think of me or my family," Lei explained.

"I'm sure her views of your grandmother won't affect her views on you, trust me," Korra says, Lei smiles. Korra turns back to the root to figure out Toph's location. Lei turns around to check on Wu, to find no trace of him.

"Wu?" Lei says, as she walks to the direction he went in. She looked around and found no trace of him. She was walking back where she came when she noticed Korra nor the animals were no where in sight.

"Korra?" Lei said aloud, no response, she repeated once more but shouted, "Korra!"

That moment, she heard the winds howl louder as the branches of trees forcefully touched each other. She heard footsteps behind her, turned quickly but no one was there.

"Who's there?" Lei asked, shakily. She looked closer to see Lord Zuko. She was oddly confused to find him here in the middle of the swamp. "Lord Zuko? What are yo—,"

"You're a disgrace to this family. Causing trouble everywhere you go all because of your grandmother," Zuko said angrily, Lei widened her eyes in fear and confusion.

"I thought you were proud of who I am," Lei said, as her voice broke. Lord Zuko shunned her.

"Only thing I'm proud of is that you will be locked up for eternity, we cannot risk another war, we don't know what my sister taught you," Lord Zuko answered, Lei covered her ears and huddled in the ground.

"It's a dream, It's just the swamp, Lei," she said to herself, the voices of the Fire Nation whispers insults in her head. They were all speaking at the same time but she heard every word that was meant towards her. Moments later, she felt a hand on her shoulder and the voices stopped. She looked up to see Korra standing above her.

"Are you okay? I should have warned you and Wu about the swamp, it loves to mess with you," Korra said, as she held Lei's hand to support her as she stood up.

"I'm fine but that was....something else," Lei rasped.

"It can feel real but I assure you whatever you saw isn't real, just the swamp trying to separate us," Korra added, Lei nodded. Korra guided her back to where Naga, Kaya, and Wu were waiting.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Meanwhile, Guan managed to capture Kuvira and the rest of Team Avatar. They were brought to his camp. Kuvira remained in the metal chamber that Asami had built for her. Commander Guan approached her with a victorious smile.

"I'm glad we finally have a chance to talk, away from the public and your new best friend, the Avatar. So, tell me, are you ready to return and serve the Earth Empire once again?" Guan asked.

"No, Commander Guan. I won't be returning," Kuvira answered, without hesitation, "And I serve no one, not the Avatar, especially not you,"

Guan glared at her, "Then you left me no other choice,"

Guan opened a curtain to reveal Asami, Bolin, and Mako strapped to a chair with a metal helmet attached to their heads. But it was no ordinary helmet, it was attached to machines with Doctor Sheng looking at charts.

"Release them at once!" Kuvira ordered.

"You remember Doctor Sheng, don't you? She worked very closely with your former fiance," Guan introduced, Doctor Sheng turned to Kuvira.

"Hello, Kuvira," Doctor Sheng greeted.

"What? What is all this?" Kuvira asked, as she looked at the machines attached to Team Avatar.

"This is how the Earth Empire will regain power. And keep it," Guan said, as he gestured to Team Avatar.

"After Baatar Jr. left to become your second in command, I began researching more effective methods to re-educate the prisoners you sent to our camps. I discovered that the Dai Li had maintained order in Ba Sing Se for centuries by using enhanced indoctrination techniques," Doctor Sheng explained.

"You mean, brainwashing?" Kuvira cleared.

"Yes, but while the Dai Li's method was useful, it was unreliable. More often that not, Re-educated subjects would revert to their old selves. So, I began experimenting with magnetic waves to alternate the brain. By combining modern technology and ancient techniques, I was able to dramatically increase effectiveness," Doctor Sheng answered.

"She learned how to control people- and make it stick," Guan summarized.

"But you surrendered before I could share my wonderful breakthrough with you," Doctor Sheng said as she turned to meet Kuvira's face.

"If you had, I would have shut you down. I never authorized such inhumane experiments," Kuvira defended.

"Maybe not directly, but don't act so naive. You demanded results from your followers. You never cared how we achieved them," Doctor Sheng said, Kuvira's expression changed slightly.

"No..that's not true," Kuvira denied, "I hoped those who had gone astray would see the errors in their ways. I wanted them to be motivated by my strength and leadership, not by some machine,"

"You might change your opinion once you see what Dr. Sheng and I have accomplished in your absence. I think you'll be quite impressed," Guan said, as Dr. Sheng began to turn on switches from the machine.

"Please, don't!" Kuvira shouted. She turned to Asami, "Asami, you have to know, I didn't mean for any of this to happen,"

"You may begin, Doctor," Guan ordered, Dr. Sheng nodded before pressing a button that made a loud whirring sound. Mako, Asami, and Bolin began to scream behind their masks.

"NO!" Kuvira shouted. After moments, the screams stopped and the three of them were seated still. Doctor Sheng turned off the machine and faced the three, who's expression was blank.

"You will obey Commander Guan's orders," Doctor Sheng said.

"I will obey Commander Guan's orders," Bolin repeated.

"The Avatar is no longer your friend," Doctor Sheng said.

"The Avatar is no longer my friend," Mako repeated.

"Korra is your enemy," Doctor Sheng said.

"Korra is my enemy," Asami repeated. Commander Guan smirked at the achievement of capturing three members of Team Avatar. However, he would have loved it if he had control of Lei, whose firebending was no match for anyone.

"Kuvira's next, put her in the chair," Guan ordered, as the three stood up from their chairs.

"Yes, Commander," Mako said, before getting a pair of cuffs while Asami and Bolin approached Kuvira.

"You're finally getting your wish, we're letting you out," Asami said, as she released her from the chamber. Bolin and Asami grabbed hold of her.

"Easy, Kuvira. Don't resist," Mako said, as he brought the cuffs closer. Using her strength, she kicked Mako's chest forcing him backwards. She ducked down with force, causing Bolin and Asami to clash heads.

"Stand down!" Guan shouted, as he shot metal plates towards her, however Kuvira easily deflected the attack with a swipe of her hand.

She looked up at Guan with a deep glare, "I may have surrendered to the Avatar but I'm not about to surrender to you!" she shouted, as she metal bended the wall to land on top of him. Mako had regained consciousness and shot a fire punch towards Kuvira.

"Sorry about this!" Kuvira said, as she metal bended the wall to block Mako's attack and to prevent them from following her, "But you'll thank me later,"

Kuvira climbed out of the metal tent, making a run through the camp, but soldiers had noticed her presence. Soldiers and Mechatanks began to surround her. With a closed fist, she elevated the ground below her, giving her momentum to land behind the mechatanks. With her earthbending, she lifted the ground beneath the mechatanks causing them to fall from the height. Guan got up and witnessed her escape, groaning in defeat.

"Where is she?!" He shouted in anger.

"We lost sight of her, Sir," the soldier answered. Guan's expression grew darker.

"She can't have gotten far! Search the Area!" Guan ordered. Mechatank and soldiers began marching towards the perimeter of the camp. Dozen Jeeps were deployed in different directions. To their knowledge, Kuvira stole one of the jeeps as well as a soldier's uniform. Once she was far enough from the camp, she took off her helmet and exhaled from her close call. 

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Korra, Lei, and Wu arrived at Toph's little cave. They got off Naga and Kaya, looked around but it seemed that no one was home. Lei looked around, feeling quite nervous to meet another member of the original Team Avatar, another member who knew her grandmother.

"Toph? Hello?" Korra started, but no answer.

"Maybe she's moved on," Wu suggested, Korra shook her head.

"No, I saw her through the vines," Korra said, as they entered the cave. Lei made a small blue flame in her hand to light the way.

"Come on out, Toph! I know you're in here!" Korra shouted, still no answer, "I'll wait as long as it take-,"

Korra was cut off by Wu's scream, Lei was ready to fight when she looked at what startled Wu. It was a pair of eyes on the wall of the cave. Toph used her earthbending to release herself from the wall. Lei looked at her and saw that she had grown quite old. Her hair was white and she was still wearing the green dress and headband.

"Ah-ha! I knew it!" Korra bragged.

"Curse you and your Avatar powers!" Toph cursed.

"Phew, I thought I was seeing things again," Wu calmed, Toph turned to look at Wu and Lei.

"Who's spindleshanks and Ms. Richie over here," Toph asked, pointing towards Wu and Lei.

"Toph, this is King Wu and Princess Lei," Korra introduced.

"It's an honor," Wu said, as he and Lei bowed.

"No offense, but I've never been a fan of the monarchy," Toph said, as she turned to walk inside her cave. Lei didn't know whether to agree or be offended by her comment.

"Can't an old friend stop by and say hello?" Korra asked with a high pitched voiced, as Toph made a fire using two rocks. She narrowed her eyes at her, seeming to read the situation right away.

"Cut the poop. I know you didn't drag the Royal King's butt all the way here to experience my delightful company. Spill it," Toph said, making it straight to the point.

"Fine. I assume you heard that Kuvira and her army surrendered in Republic City?" Korra asked, as she took a seat next to Toph. Lei and Wu sat on the other side of the fire.

"Yup, good riddance," Toph commented.

"Well, it turns out not everyone surrendered," Wu added, Toph turned to him egging him to explain further. Watching Republic City through the roots of the Spirit Vines can only take you so far. Korra explained the situation to Toph about the Elections and Commander Guan, including his background.

"What do you say? Governer Toph Beifong has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Korra nudged her, trying her best to convince her. Toph wasn't known to be the easiest to converse with. 

"Sounds like this Guan character is a real piece of work. I would love to put a guy like him in his place," Toph commented, Korra and Wu's eyes lit up in hope.

"So, is that a yes?" Korra smiled.

"It's a no," Toph answered, she paused, "Aang, Katara, and Sokka lived for all that political hoo-ha. Me? I always saw government as a giant pool of mud- anyone who falls into it is gonna come out filthy. Count me out,"

"Which is what makes you perfect for the Job- you tell it like it is. You're incorruptible!" Korra added, as she stood up explaining her point with confidence.

"If you haven't noticed, I hate being around people. What makes you think I want to be of service to them?" Toph asked, as she gestured to her home in the swamp.

"But don't you want to make a positive difference in Gaoling? It's your homestate," Korra asked curiously. Toph seemed to lack defense for her own hometown.

"I despised growing up there," Toph answered, remembering how her family treated her and clouded her from what she loved. Earthbending.

"I think it was a mistake coming here, Korra. Maybe Auntie Hou-Ting was right after all..." Wu said gloomily, as he began walking out of the cave. An idea popped into Korra's head.

"That's it!" Korra said, she reached out her hand to place on Wu's shoulder, "Wu, wait,"

"What are you whispering about over there?" Toph asked, as Wu and Korra began to exchange whispers.

"Oh, just the swamp vision Wu saw on our way here... I told him to ignore it," Korra said, with a sly smile as she crossed her arms together.

"What?! That's terrible advice. The swamp is very wise," Toph said, she walked towards Wu and dragged him towards the fire. "Sit, tell me everything,"

"I saw the former Earth Queen. She's got me doubting my plan to make the Earth Kingdom a democracy," Wu started, Korra smiled and walked towards the pair. 

"And.. what else did she say?" Korra nudged him to further explain. 

"That people don't really want to change," Wu answered. Toph changed her expression.

"Huh, is that so?" Toph said softly, thinking to herself. 

"She  also insisted that people would much rather stick to what feels safe and secure than do anything outside their comfort zone," Wu added, Toph crossed her arms.

"Didn't you tell me that the swamp will teach you what you need to learn, if you're open to listening?" Korra questioned, Toph had to give the Avatar praise for that trick she pulled.

"Uh, did I say that? I hate it when I'm right," Toph said casually, she then signed, "Fine. I'll run for governer,"

"Woo-hoo!" Wu celebrated in joy as he hugged Toph with gratitude, which she did not return. 

"He's a hugger," Korra pointed out.

"Yeah, I gathered that," Toph said with a straight expression.

Toph was preparing to leave, while Korra and Wu were eating the stew she made, when she noticed that Lei had been outside sitting next to Kaya. She knew of her origins and was curious to see how their family had evolved since her time. Lei decided to sit the conversation out, she had a pit in her stomach as if she felt something was wrong. At that moment, Toph had stepped out of her cave and walked towards the princess. Lei had noticed her approaching and stood up quickly.

"I may be blind but I've heard from Zuko that you look exactly like Azula," Toph started.

"I'm not like my grandmother," Lei said, Toph smiled.

"I'm aware, I never got along with her so I'm sorry if I can't say any good things about her," Toph said, as she sat down, gesturing Lei to sit down next to her.

"It's alright, that's how most people see her anyway. I just don't want people to see me in that way just because of what she had done," Lei answered, Toph was surprised by her character. She was a long way from being like Azula.

"Do you blame her? For the burden she put on your life?" Toph asked curiously, Lei thought to herself. For years, she had been treated badly due to her family origins.

"I don't. Not a lot of people got a chance to get to know her after the war. She looked after me when my mother died. She taught me every piece of history from our past and ancestors, granted it wasn't the best history, but it was still part of our past. She told me about her mistakes, what she regretted, what she missed in the times she was fighting for what blinded her, her hatred. I understood her so I never really blamed her, I know she didn't mean to put that burden on me," Lei explained deeply. Toph could tell she was as wise as Zuko. He had taught her well.

"You're right, I never got a chance to know Azula but I hope I get to see you around more often, Lei," Toph smiled, Lei smiled softly. She was scared how she'd react to her, like she is everytime she meets a member of the original Team Avatar. But in this moment, she felt relieved.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Kuvira crouched down a rock, using binoculars to overlook the camp. She debated on her decision on contacting Suyin, after what she had done to her, her city, and her family. She reminsced old locked memories. Su had taken her in when she was just a child, when she needed help. She can only hope that she will give the same helping hand as before. Su was informed there was a radio call for her, she had answered it to her surprise it was Kuvira.

"Kuvira? What's going on? Asami said she was bringing you to Zaofu- Where are you?" Su asked impatiently. Kuvira sat up in the Jeep.

"Still in Gaoling. We never left," Kuvira answered.

"What did you do to Asami and the others?" Su asked angrily.

"Nothing!" Kuvira argued, "Commander Guan and his rebels attacked the airship before we got off the ground and took a bunch of us captive. Asami, Bolin, and Mako have been brainwashed! I managed to escape but-,"

"Brainwashed? You expect me to believe that?" Su shouted throught the radio.

"I'm telling the truth!" Kuvira shouted, proving this was difficult.

"Korra, Lei, and King Wu are off trying to find your mother and I'm out here all alone. I know you have every reason to hate me, but I don't know who else to turn to. Please, I need you help," Kuvira explained, Su remained quiet for a moment as she thought to herself. Can she forgive Kuvira for what she had done.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Gaoling's streets were filled with citizens campaigning their chosen leader. Korra and Toph on Naga's back, while Lei and Wu on Kaya's back, they had arrived to the city. Lei observed that most people were carrying Guan posters shouting to vote for him with an odd blank expression on their faces. 

"I hope we're not too late," Korra said, as she steered Naga towards the town hall. 

"Yeah, it looks like guan already found a lot of supporters," Wu said.

"And boy, do they sound really enthusiastic!" Korra said, with sarcasm, Lei chuckled at her.

Korra, Lei, and Wu accompanied Toph to the meeting room where the Mayor was explaining the terms of her application to be a candidate, "And paragraph five, subsection eight, stipulates that in the event of a force majuere, the election will be suspended until such time as-"

"Enough Flimflammery! where do I sign?" Toph asked impatiently. The Mayor smiled at her shyly and pointed at the end of the contract. She signed the contract earning smiles from Korra and Wu.

"Congratulations! You're officially a candidate for Governer of Gaoling," the Mayor said, as he inspected the contract.

"Yippee," Toph said, she turned to the Mayor, "Give it to me straight, Mr. Mayor- What do you think my chances are?"

"If you had asked me yesterday, I would've said you'll win easily but practically overnight, there's been an unexpected groundswell of support for Guan," the Mayor answered, Lei looked out the window noticing the amounts of people shouting to vote for Guan, she began to grow suspiscious.

"You don't say.." Toph said, with the same suspiscion as Lei. 

They decided to head back to the Airfield to meet up with the rest of Team Avatar. They were at the edge of town, just about to make their way to the path that leads to the open airfield.

"Asami and the others should be back at the airfield by now," Korra said, as they made their way to the start of the path but was stopped when they saw a familiar animal running up to them. 

"Pabu?" Lei said questioningly.

"Why aren't you with Bolin?" Korra questioned, as she turned to Lei, who had a bad feeling something was wrong. Sounds of a jeep, that looked to be from Guan's camp, was headed straight for them.

"Oh no, looks like we've got trouble," Korra said, as she got off Naga. "Wu, stay put. Toph and Lei, I might need some backup,"

"You got it," Lei said, as she got off Naga. The jeep had stopped in front of them, only one soldier was driving.

"You need to follow me," the Soldier spoke, Lei narrowed her eyes hearing a familiar voice.

"I'm not going anywhere with one of Guan's lackeys," Korra said strongly. 

"I'm no lackey," the soldier said, as they took off their mask, revealing it had been Kuvira. 

"Kuvira?!" Korra said in surprise. 

"Where are Asami, Mako, and Bolin?!" Korra shouted angrily, with flame ignited in her hands.

"I'll explain everything, but we need to get off the road before someone spots us. Guan's at the airfield waiting to ambush you, and-" Kuvira was cut off by Korra sending a fire punch right towards her.

"I warned you if you hurt my friends, I would take you down!" Korra shouted.

"I didn't harm them, I swear!" Kuvira shouted, Lei walked up to Korra.

"Korra, stand down, give her a chance to explain," Lei said, Korra glared at Kuvira.

"So, where are they? and why are you wearing that uniform?" Korra questioned.

"Guan and his soldiers waited until you left, then attacked the airship. He took us back to some makeshift lab, then brainwashed your friends," Kuvira explained, Lei grew worried for Mako and the others, Kuvira continued, "I tried to stop them but-"

"Don't lie to me!" Korra shouted, getting ready to blast her again.

"I'm not! Toph, tell her!" Kuvira shouted, Toph narrowed her eyes at Kuvira as she approached her slowly.

"Yup, she's telling the truth," Toph said, as she turned to Korra.

"She is?" Korra said in surprise.

"How do you know for sure?" Wu asked, as he got off Kaya.

"She's a truth seer," Kuvira answered.

"I knew there was something fishy about how Guan's supporters kept mindlessly repeating the same slogan, over and over. It's like Long Feng all over again," Toph explained.

"Who?" Korra asked, seemed to be confused by the situation. Lei had heard stories of Long Feng and the Dai Li. 

"Long Feng served Earth King Kuei, my great-great grandfather. He and the Dai Li manipulated the King so they could control Ba Sing Se. Long Feng brainwashed anyone he saw as a threat," Wu explained, accustomed to his history.

"You know, your history, Kid. Just be glad you didn't live through it. This brainwashing business is no joke," Toph said, Lei turned to Kuvira.

"So, Mako, Bolin, and Asami?" Lei asked, Kuvira looked down.

"Their minds are no longer their own," Kuvira answered, they got off the road to a secluded part of the woods. 

"This is a disaster! Guan's going to steal the election and brainwash the entire kingdom in the process!" Wu panicked, as he paced back and forth. He fell to the ground, "No, no, noooooo... This is all my fault! I never should have asked you all to come!"

"It's pointless to blame yourself. You couldn't have known this was going to happen," Kuvira said, as she crossed her arms.

"Wait, I know a way I can put a stop to all this and make things right again," Wu said, as he sat up from the ground. They turned to the King. 

"How?" Korra asked.

"By calling off the election!" Wu answered, as he stood up feeling accomplished. Lei and Korra thoughts remained confused by his decision. 

"Great idea! I didn't wanna run in the first place," Toph agreed.

"Are you sure that's the best strategy?" Korra questioned.

"It's perfect! Guan can't steal the election if there isn't one," Wu said.

"He makes a good point," Kuvira added.

"Thank you, Kuvira. Now, if you'll excuse me," Wu started marching, but Kuvira held her arm in front of him to stop him. 

"Hold on. Where do you think you're going?" Kuvira questioned.

"Back to City Hall. I need to issue my decree to the Mayor," Wu answered, Kuvira shook her head in response.

"Bad Idea. Once Guan gets wind of what you're up to, none of us are getting out of Gaoling. Not with our minds intact, anyway," Kuvira explained.

"Then what do you suggest we do? Asami, Mako, and Bolin are still in danger," Korra asked, Kuvira looked to the distance.

"We can regroup in Zaofu and get some reinforcements there," Kuvira answered, Lei shared a shocked look with Korra. They had not expected for her to turn to Zaofu, the place that most likely despises her the most. 

"Zaofu?" Wu repeated.

"I radioed Su, It took some convincing, but she agreed to come pick us up," Kuvira explained, as she pointed towards an airship headed straight towards them. The airship had landed on safely on the ground, with its propellers still active. The ramp door had opened revealing Su, Opal, and her twin brothers.

"Hello, Kuvira," Su said formally. Kuvira smiled softly.

"I appreciate you coming," Kuvira said, with a soft and thankful voice.

The ground started rumbling causing Toph to glance behind them, she spoke, "Sorry to interrupt this joyous reunion, but Guan and his cronies have found us. Let's skedaddle,"

They started boarding the airship quickly, giving small greetings. Opal turned to her grandmother, "It's good to see you, Grandma Toph!"

"Hi, Mom," Su greeted, as they invited her in the airship. Toph smiled at her family, being in the swamp can be lonely sometimes but she does love her family dearly. 

"Too bad it's not under better circumstances," Toph said, as she entered the airship. Kuvira boarded walking past Su, who gave her a cold expression. She paid no mind to it and went inside hoping to be on her best behaviour. Lei was still at the bottom of the ship along with Korra, they shared a look and knew what they wanted to do. 

"Korra, Lei, what are you waiting for?" Su asked.

"You go, we aren't leaving without Asami, Mako, and Bolin," Korra answered, Su sighed and nodded knowing she wouldn't be able to convince them otherwise.

Kuvira made her way back to the front, witnessing the decision Korra and Lei were about to make. Guan's forces had already begun surrounding the airship, she explained, "Dr. Sheng used some kind of magnetic technology to intensify the effects of the brainwashing. I don't know how to reverse it, but if we go back to Zaofu, then maybe-,"

"I'm not going to abandon my friends to that madman!" Korra shouted, Kuvira sighed.

"Understood," Kuvira said, as she made her way to stand beside Korra and Lei, "Then I'll help you get them back,"

"Thank you," Korra said genuinely. Su and her family started walking back out the airship.

"We'll help too," Su said, Toph turned to King Wu. 

"Stay here where it's safe, Spindleshanks. This is going to get ugly," Toph said, as Wu and the other animals stayed inside. As Guan's forces surrounded them, a jeep made its way to the front. Lei's heart dropped when she saw Mako sitting at the back of the jeep with a meaningless expression on his face.

Guan turned around to Mako, Bolin, and Asami, who were all seated behind him, he ordered, "The Avatar is your enemy. Bring her to me,"

"Yes, commander," they all said in unison, as they got out of the jeep, making their way towards Korra and the others.

"Bolin! it's me! Please stop!" Opal shouted, Bolin didn't budge.

"Asami, you can fight this!" Korra shouted, same expression. Lei turned to Mako, who had a bended a flame dagger, staring at her with an emotionless expression.

"Mako! Please! You wouldn't hurt us," Lei shouted, her voice trying not to falter.

"It's pointless to try and reason with them," Kuvira said.

"We have to play defense, I'm not risking hurting my friends," Lei said, Korra nodded.

"I can take them out, no problem," Toph added.

"Grandma, no! We don't want to hurt them," Opal said, with worry. Guan played this well, he knows we wouldn't try and hurt our own friends, he used it to his advantage. 

"Su, Wing, and Wei-- Opal and I will steer them toward you. Wrap them up with cables and get them on the ship," Korra instructed, everyone nodded in response.

"Hey, what about me?" Toph asked.

"You, Lei, and Kuvira be ready if Guan and his soldiers make a move," Korra responded. At that moment, their brainwashed friends launched their first attacks. Korra dodged Mako's fire punch and Bolin's lava disc with an air swipe. Together with Opal, they blew a gust of wind on their opposite sides causing them to collide into one another.

"Now!" Korra shouted, Suyin and her twin sons used their metal wires to tie them up.

"Get them on the ship!" Suyin shouted, as she used her wire to hold them in place.

"You're not taking them anywhere!" Guan shouted, as he used a piece of metal suit to cut the metal wire holding their brainwashed friends. He ordered, "Move in!"

Mechatanks and soldiers began to move in closer, however before they could attack Suyin, Toph, and Kuvira earthbended the ground below them causing the Mechatanks to tip over. Lei took the right side and witnessed as a dozen soldiers ran her way. She shot fire punches to their sides rounding them up like cattle. When they were all together, she created a fire wall to entrap them before sending lightning towards them. Bolin, now free from his wires, shot earth boulders towards Opal.

"Bolin! Stop!" Opal shouted, Bolin refused and shot another, critically hitting Opal's shoulder. Her brothers turned around in worry.

"Opal!" Wing and Wei shouted in unison, as they fought off the soldiers.

Lei was fighting off soldiers with her dao swords, knocking them off from their feets. Suddenly, a fire comet was sent towards her. She turned around to see Mako, heading straight for her. Lei was caught by suprise when he started attacking her in close combat. He punched her right side, but easily dodged his attack.

"Mako, don't make me hurt you, please!" Lei cried, as she continuously dodged his punches. Mako punched the side of her chest, causing Lei to groan in pain. She looked up with an angry glare, "This is just gonna hurt a little, babe,"

Lei sent an electric shock towards Mako, stunning him. She ran towards him, sending fire arcs, causing him to fall back. Meanwhile, Wu was watching the scene before him unfold with Pabu on his shoulders.

"This doesn't look good, Pabu," Wu said, with worry. Four soldiers approached him.

"King Wu, you're coming with us," Captain said, Wu looked at him in confusion.

"Captain..?" Wu questioned, he looked closer into his eyes, and widened his own, "Guan got to you, too!"

The Four soldiers grabbed Wu, out of his own will, but luckily Pabu was able to escape between the soldiers. Asami lunged at Korra, with her electric glove, but Korra easily dodged it.

"Asami, no!" Korra shotued, as she turned her to push her with her own force. Asami groaned as Korra used her earthbending to trap her hands in the earth. 

"I hope you'll forgive me for this," Korra said, as she turned to Asami, who was desperately trying to get out.

"Let me go!" Asami shouted in frustration. Korra turned towards Mako and Bolin who were approaching with more soldiers.

"Now for Mako and Bolin," Korra said, when she turned to see her friends, they were huddled behind an earth wall, while the firebenders were shooting fire punches to the front of it. 

"Anyone else feeling a litlle warm?" Toph joked.

Mako groaned in frustration and turned to his brother, "Bring down that wall!"

Bolin and the Earthbenders brought down the wall with a swift slide of their feet causing the rest of Team Avatar to take cover elsewhere. Korra stepped in and used her airbending to deflect the firebenders attacks. Su shouted, "Get down, Mom!"

"Mom, get on the airship! Kuvira, grab Asami! We're leaving!" Suyin shouted, as she helped her mother to stand up. She looked back at Korra, who was fighting back, "You too, Korra!"

"But they got King Wu! and what about Mako and Bolin?!" Korra shouted.

"We'll have to come back for them!" Suyin shouted, Korra looked at Lei who was hugging her side in pain.

"Korra, lets go, we'll get them back, I promise," Lei shouted, Korra sighed heavily and nodded. With her last strength, she airbended the soldiers away, giving her enough time to help Lei board the airship. As the airship began ascending, the soldiers threw all their bending into stopping the ship from takeoff, but it escaped on its way to Zaofu. Guan glared as the airship disappeared into the distance.

"We captured the King like you ordered, Sir," Captain said, as he and another soldier held Wu, who looked worried for his own safety.

"Then today wasn't a total defeat," Guan smiled.

Meanwhile, Team Avatar was recovering from the attacks. Korra had placed Asami in the mechtank suit that originally was used to imprison Kuvira. Opal was lying on Toph's lap recovering from the hit she took from Bolin. Lei was sat down, hugging her chest from the pain. Kuvira sat down next to her, with her hunched back, in a train of thought. Suyin and her sons were conversing with one another as they looked at Kuvira.

"You want us to restrain Kuvira, too?" Wei asked, Suyin shook her head.

"No, leave her be. She's not a flight risk," Suyin answered.

"I hope you're right, Mom," Wing sighed. Korra walked over to Kuvira.

"You were saying earlier that there might be a way to counter the brainwashing, right?" Korra asked, she looked back slightly, "Please tell me it'll work on Asami,"

"I got a good look at Dr. Sheng's setup. I'm sure there's a way to reverse-engineer it, but I won't be able to figure it out alone," Kuvira started, she turned her gaze to the window, as the sun began to set, "I'm going to need Baatar Jr.'s help,"

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hewo everyone!! I'm back with another update, this took me a couple days because the comic was very long but we are almost done!! One more chapter and Book 5 begins! I can't wait to share what's in store for Book 5 and for the story to revolve more around Lei and her stories. Maybe even discover her own true self in the process! I hope you continue to be patient with me!

Also, we are close to 1M reads! I never thought I would reach this much readers when I started this fanfiction so I'm glad for every single one of you!! <3 Till the next chapter!

PUBLISHED: August 8, 2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.2K 1.9K 19
You're the daughter of the beifong's and sister to toph. When toph was born your parents put you in training to protect her but as she grew up, you k...
6.7K 104 19
She was just a Fire Nation Noble Man's daughter set to marry the Fire Prince. She wasn't going to be easily swayed to the wrong side though. For year...
121K 4.1K 17
[Zuko x Oc] Aang has finally mastered waterbending but now it's time to learn earthbending. Finding a master for Aang requires everyone to work toget...
272K 8K 26
[Currently going through a re-writing process] {Formerly known as "Extra Airbender"} Nini is the eldest daughter of Master Tenzin and Granddaughter o...