None of Us Saw This Coming

By boxxyinyourarea

Times when Lisa, the maknae of Blackpink met Irene, the leader of Red Velvet, unconsciously fell for her, and... More

March, 2017: Let's Have Some Pho
March, 2017: About What You Saw
July, 2017: Inkigayo Sandwich
August, 2017: A Mistake
December, 2017: White Christmas
March, 2018: Surprise!
May, 2018: FRIENDS
July, 2018: Welcome to The Broken Hearts Club
August, 2018: Fools in Love
January 1st, 2019
February, 2019: No Thoughts, Head Empty
March, 2019: The Way She Loved
July, 2019: Heard You Found Somebody Else
October, 2019: Jealousy, Jealousy
December, 2019: The Only
January, 2020: We Found Good in Goodbye
May, 2020: Clarity
July, 2020: So Call Me, Maybe?
October, 2020: Daegu
March, 2021: Let's Have Some Pho
BREAKING: RED VELVET'S IRENE IS ENGAGED
a f t e r m a t h

December, 2018: Have Yourself A Merry Happy Christmas

1.5K 65 35
By boxxyinyourarea

"Have you brought your passport?"

Irene was at the back of a black sedan on her way to Incheon International Airport for her scheduled flight leaving for Osaka with her manager repeating the list he had memorised well to make sure Irene did not miss a single item she was supposed to carry with her. It was a personal schedule—personal, as in; it was not one arranged and engaged by the agency, not even her CEO or anybody else from the company knew about the special occasion.

Blackpink was scheduled to have their final Blackpink Arena Tour at Kyocera Dome Osaka the next day and since Irene had missed their first-ever concert in Seoul, then she was planning on making it up by attending their final concert in Japan. The thought of it made her excited that she could not wipe off her smile all the way from their dorm to the airport and her manager Oppa had been the sole witness for the ever so unusual sight of a giddy Irene.

"Nobody can be as happy as you are after spending that kind amount of money, you know. You're unbelievable."

Her manager stared at her from his rearview mirror, sighing in surrender. He could never understand the way Irene thought; the woman chartered a bloody private jet so she could slip in and out of Seoul without notice. 'It would only be until the next day, Oppa,' he remembered her saying and having weak arse as he was, he could not deny her puppy eyes and involuntarily agreed to help her chartering a bloody jet so she could go and see Blackpink's concert. He even went miles to hire two people to accompany her; Tomohiko Touko and Hasekura Noriko, two women who were participating in taking care of the girls during their Red Room Tour and Red Room Tour Hall—those Irene had been familiar with.

"I've contacted Tomohiko-San and Hasekura-San, per your request," he saw Irene nod but seemed to be not giving a single fuck about what he just told her. She looked like she was just there for a good time. So he just continued, hoping the woman would not get lost like the last time she did, "They will be waiting for you and picked you up once you arrive. I made sure everything was settled once you arrive. Don't wander off yourself like the last time you did, okay?"

He could still remember how panicked he was when Irene was gone for over two hours after saying she would only go to a hotel across from where they were staying last year. She got lost, so she said after he found her sitting in a quiet alley quite far from her original destination, eating the cake he brought her. Until that moment, he still could not figure out whatever it was that happened that the scaredy-cat Irene could sit in a quiet alley so late at night when he himself would have shat his pants just from the thought of being left alone there.

He trusted Irene knew what was best for herself and would not do anything that screamed possible trouble, but as mature as she was, Irene was sometimes just as impulsive and that impulsive nature was what he could not trust. He was against the idea of letting this particular woman who had not the slightest sense of direction travel alone without any supervision from him personally; moreover, he was doing what Irene told her without any consent from the agency. So, from the look of it, he was smuggling the idol, and should they ever be caught—or should ever something go terribly wrong, he would definitely lose his job with a list of legal prosecutions chasing his arse.

It was not like Irene was prohibited to conduct a solo travelling abroad, plus it was supposed to be the Christmas holiday anyway, so it should not be a problem, but when she did do so, it was expected that she notified the company, but the process might take a while—it did not suit her impromptu trip. Hence she opted to take matters into her hands and fly back and forth under the radar in less than 24 hours.

"This is madness, Irene," her manager Oppa sighed in defeat.

'Yes, it is indeed madness, Irene,' Irene silently repeated it in her head.

But she was a fool first before she was mad, she figured. All she wanted to do was to see Lisa on stage again. After all, it was the part of the younger that captured her the very first time she saw her. Lisa belonged to the stage; it was like her natural conservatory that Irene could not picture where else Lisa could shine brighter than she did on a stage—dancing. She was there to support her friend, that was what she would like to believe. That was what she convinced herself to believe when deep down she knew she just wanted to see Lisa more than anything. She would come to the venue and watch the concert from the secluded balcony on the right side of the stage as it had been arranged—the safest place to keep her away from YG CEO, obviously, because only God knew what to happen to both of them (her manager Oppa and she) should her sajangnim found out the shenanigans she had committed.

"We're here. Let's sneak to the immigration," her manager Oppa said as he carry her tiny cabin bag. They had to pull some favours within the four walls of the airport just so she could travel safely without drawing any attention from the public. She spent almost 30 minutes before she arrived at where her chartered private jet had been parking.

A woman of the approximate age of 40 cascaded down the jet as she greeted Irene with a smile and politely offered her service. It was not long until Irene was settled in her seat floating above the clouds sinking in the dark pool of the night. She landed in Osaka when the day had changed and true to what her manager Oppa told her, Hasekura-San had been waiting for her at the hangar, where the private jet had been set to park.

The moment she landed, Hasekura-San escorted her to take her immigration stamp and directly to the exit where Tomohiko-San had been waiting for them. The airport was considered quiet at that time and it was an unusual sight to see. Every time they had a schedule, the members and she, somewhere abroad, the airport must have been filled with Luvies who had been waiting for them. She loved every single warm welcome Luvies had ever thrown them every time they stepped into an airport but the silence was somewhat calming and with her nervousness, she could use the silence.

The whole experience from Seoul to Osaka was unexceptionally thrilling; Irene found it exhilarating and it made her feel invincible that she honestly would not mind should she have to smuggle herself in and out of the country again sometime soon.

Oh, Lisa. Look at what you have done.

Blackpink final Arena Tour Concert took place on Christmas Eve, it was a nice way to spend the occasion, so Irene thought. It was cold in Osaka that time of the year, streets starting to catch snow and Irene moved her body furiously just to cast the chilly air away. She arrived almost 5 minutes before the show started—it was the only choice she had because otherwise someone might spot her and she could not possibly opt to risk that chance.

Hasekura-San and Tomohiko-San escorted her to a door to the dome away from the public eyes. Inside, she was immediately greeted by whom she believed to be one of Blackpink's tour crew. She smiled at Irene, who without removing her mask painted her smile on her eyes as well. Clearly, her manager Oppa had really planned everything out for her and settled every last detail of the rather strange occasion so that she could sail smoothly to where she planned to be. The crew immediately transported her all the way from where she currently was to the main venue where the concert would be held. The euphoria surrounding the building was overwhelming. It would not even be the slightest exaggeration if she said she could feel the earth beneath her feet where she glided her way trembled at the massive sound of the crowd getting ready to see Blackpink's performance.

It was insane.

The whole area had been cast under a fair amount of absence of light. The only source of illumination was from the stage and Irene could not help herself, she was mesmerised by the pink ocean unfolding before her eyes. She was thrilled, she was excited, she was happy. Blackpink was so loved by many.

The plan was to sneak to the balcony where no eyes would see her because The YG CEO would be sitting at the control area somewhere on the opposite side of the main stage. So to the balcony, she went—it was placed on the right side of the main stage. The moment she was seated, it was the same moment the concert started, so off the crew go, clearly having something else she ought to do. After addressing her gratefulness, Irene let the crew go.

The arena grew hotter and hotter. The crowd was wilding and it hyped Irene up. So she sang along to every word there was in the lyrics—she memorised everything by heart. She even waved her Pyongbong (she bought it online and could not stop smiling and when the package arrived—she made efforts too) vigorously following the beat of each song. Everything went smoothly until the girls performed Whistle and Jennie slipped off the stairs. Everyone in the crowd gasped and the members quickly approached the petit woman making sure she was okay. Jennie flashed her gummy smile that turned to a slight grimace because it must have been painful. Then there Irene saw how Lisa's face changed, it was a discomfort—she was worried, clearly. It looked like Lisa had her focus broken although she tried to keep being professional. And Irene was reminded once again, where she had to stand.

"Yah. You're prettier in real life, huh?"

A voice suddenly snapped her out of her reverie harshly. She was torn between her own thoughts and a new set of problems; a new set of problems in a form none other than the CEO of YG Ent.

Yang Hyunsuk.

Crap.

"Oh! Y—Yang Seonsaengnim!" Irene awkwardly bowed, trying to collect the tiniest self-composure that just scattered anywhere from the first sound of his voice.

The CEO flopped himself into the seat next to Irene, scanning her face as if making sure it was who it was he thought.

"Why didn't hyeong tell me about any of this? Do you come alone? Are you here to spy on us?"

The sudden question from the CEO immediately created a sudden disappearance of the colour on Irene's face making the man next to her heave a hefty laugh.

"I'm kidding. Kidding! Sorry, I was just teasing you."

Irene could only laugh along awkwardly following the stringing laugh from the man she had never been introduced to properly. As if reading her mind, Yang Hyunsuk offered her his hand.

"We haven't been introduced properly. I'm Yang Hyunsuk from YG. Pleasure making you an acquaintance."

"Yes, Sir. I'm Irene from Red Velvet. Pleasure's all mine."

"So what business brings you here?" The man asked as he scanned the whole arena; a content smile of pride was plastered on his face—his girls made it.

"Uhm... I just come here to see the members."

"And I assume you come here without telling your sajangnim."

Of course, he assumed so because otherwise he would have known about her visit and she would not be concealing herself away from the crowd.

"That—," Irene cleared her throat before coming clean, "—That would be true, Sir," she said so confidently but her fingers were fidgeting and being ever-so-observant, the older man chuckled, trying to calm the caught bunny down.

"Relax, I won't tell your sajangnim that I see you here."

"Thank you, Sir."

"I'm just happy that our girls are able to find others in the industry who walk the same shoes as they do and receive the love and support like ones only you can provide. They need a lot of perspectives," he said as he intently watched the girls' performance on the stage before he continued, "I'm afraid for them, truthfully. I've lost their seniors due to unfortunate circumstances; they were brilliant and loved, and they had their support systems but I couldn't protect them from hatred and the ideology of my peers. I was outvoted. They were one of my biggest achievements but also one I failed to protect."

Irene could only stare at the pained look on Yang Hyunsuk's face. CEOs were big people; the ones who knew everything, what to do and what the next step would be—they were always one step ahead. So to see him in such a light, Irene could not help to sympathise with the man. It must be a great burden carrying a whole company on your back.

"It seems like I'll end up hurting them once more," he whispered at the wrong timing. It was at that little break where the crowd was still and silent and the band was adjusting their instruments with the Pinks who were backstage. So the whisper arrived at Irene's ears. Clearly.

She did not fancy the sound of his words.

"S—Sir—"

"—Ah. I'll go to the control area now. Someone needs to bring Jennie some ice. She's always such a klutz, that kid. You take care, okay?" Yang Hyunsuk seemed to be quickly recovered from his melancholic sentiment and abruptly stood up, readying himself to depart the place, before he turned to Irene with a smile, "Oh! And I'll tell someone to escort you backstage 5 minutes before the show's over. Surely the girls would be thrilled to see you. Enjoy the show!" He moved a few steps away before once again turning to Irene.

"Please continue on supporting one another, kid."

With that, he left Irene alone to enjoy the rest of the show. True to his words, Yang Hyunsuk had one of the crew coming for her and leading her to the girls' waiting room when the girls heading towards the outro for As If It's Your Last could be heard blasting off from the stage. She just only arrived in the waiting room when a message popped up on her phone. It was from her manager Oppa.

[from 호식 오빠] Lee Sajangnim wants to see you first thing at 9 AM tomorrow. I'm sorry T^T your flight back has been rescheduled to 1 AM later. Hasekura-San and Tomohiko-San had been notified. I'll see you when you land~

Damn it.

"Eonni?" It was Jisoo's voice first then it was followed by Chaeyoung's and Jennie's almost at the same time. Then—

"—Joohyunnie?"

It was Lisa. With Jennie on her back.

Jennie's shoe on her right foot had been removed and replaced with some elastic bandage. Irene breathed relievedly, Jennie was okay. At least it did not look swollen so it was supposed to be okay. She would just have discomfort in her ankle for a while. She might need to limit her mobility but Jennie could always use some good rest anyway. The kid was fragile, like even the slightest touch could break her to pieces. Irene was aware of that much.

"How's your foot?" Was the first thing Irene said, sounded pretty much like she addressed the question to all of them.

"Eonni!" Jennie jumped off Lisa's back, limped her way off, and jumped onto Irene, clinging to the older one. Everyone laughed at the scene.

"Careful with your foot, Kim Jennie!" Irene, on the other hand, was awfully concerned as they let go of their hugs and Irene took Jisoo and Chaeyoung into her embrace in turn as well.

"Sorry I couldn't make it to your Seoul concert," Irene said when she saw Lisa approaching her too.

The big baby just smiled and engulfed Irene in a bear hug. Irene released a content sigh when she heard Lisa whisper, "You came," next to her left ear, which took Irene back to three days after she was discharged from the hospital a few months ago. Lisa gave her a similar hug, one out of a big relief. Although at that time she whispered, "You're alright," which was comical to Irene. Of course, she was alright, she just unintentionally skipped her breakfast. There was no grand reason behind her sudden blackout, if anything, again, she felt rather silly and embarrassed.

"Ah, this is for you guys!" Irene let go of Lisa's hug while she still had her bloody sane mind intact—before her brain circuit cut short and she decided to dwell between Lisa's arms forever. Irene distracted herself by revealing a paper bag containing a cake she ordered from her favourite bakery, "Congratulations on your Arena Tour finale! Here is for more to come!" Irene said excitedly.

Jisoo, Jennie, Chaeyoung, and Lisa might be in a different girl group, but she was fond of them just as much as she was fond of her own members. They were like little sisters to her and she would do anything to support them as much as she would do anything to support her members. It was just her nature being the oldest.

"We're going to have an after-party with the whole crew, eonni. Come with us!" Jennie said clinging to the older after the members finished changing their clothes. Jennie loved clinging to others she was fond of that Jisoo especially named her Jendeukie. While Irene, being the mother that she was, helped Jendeukie walk properly, the brand new injury on her ankle must be giving her a tough time.

"Where are the others?" Jisoo popped up with a question as she got out of their changing room.

"I'm sorry, it's only me," because not even her members knew she was there. After all, each of them already had their own plans for that end of the year.

"What are you being sorry for, eonni? We're happy you're here!" Chaeyoung hugged Irene from the back. Her members looked like three baby koalas clinging onto their mini-size mama koala, so Lisa said in her head. She was just happy Irene was there with them.

"I can't stay for long though, my flight back is less than two hours."

The Pinks voiced out their disappointment. The clock was ticking closer to 12 and there was no way Irene could stretch any more minute staying there, she had a plane to catch and they must cut their meeting short. Little did they know, however, that the biggest disappointment was actually painted on Lisa's face, but the youngest in the room chose to cover her disappointment that none of them could see it because there was nothing they could do anyway.

"Merry Christmas, girls," Irene said as she left Blackpink and made her way to the airport. The girls replied excitedly and told her to meet for New Year, except for one, because Lisa just waved at her. Lisa heaved her disappointment in a sigh and covered it with a smile, watching the woman she realised she missed terribly walking away from where she stood. It was only by the moment Irene vanished from her eyes that she could process the whole thing, breathing a tiny inaudible whisper—a little bit too late, "Happy Christmas, Joohyunnie."

It felt much like she had a problem, Lisa thought to herself. She did not know when or how it started but Lisa was aware that sometimes dazed off and by the time she got a grip back of the reality, she had already been stuck in a different scene. It felt like a problem to her that she gradually began to often find herself not knowing what was happening around her. She wondered if it was out of exhaustion; like just then, a minute she saw Irene, and the next she found herself sitting on her bed after attending the staff and crew after-party for their Blackpink Arena Tour. As she let her mind wander off anywhere and everywhere, a signature set of knocks called her from the other end of her room door.

It was Jennie.

"Hey, you," Jennie greeted her, enthralling her with the cutest gummy smile.

"Hey, Jen. C'mere," Lisa's eyes tried to open their heavy lids as she opened her arms to Jennie. Without taking any more seconds, Jennie made her way to Lisa then together they made their way to Lisa's bed where they lay in their favourite position; Jennie's head on Lisa's chest.

"How's your ankle?" Lisa asked in concern.

"It's bearable."

"You're such a klutz."

"You love me anyway," which earned the petite woman a chuckle from the younger one.

They stayed in the stillness of the room, only the sound of the air surrounding them and the inhale then the exhale of their breath exchanging that could be heard. Lisa was fighting the drowsiness that slowly tried to take over her body when Jennie suddenly snapped her out of it.

"Lisa, will you still love me despite anything?" Was all she had to say to make Lisa gain back all the control of her body and mind.

"That is one odd question, Jennie," she replied bewilderedly then continued, "Of course, I will."

Lisa inhaled a deep breath before she repositioned herself to look at Jennie. She could not read what it was in Jennie's eyes, but she did not give it much thought. All she needed was just for Jennie to see, "Being without you is unimaginable, Jennie. So yes, I will love you despite anything because I don't know how to otherwise," but the look on Jennie's face was unreadable and it made her wonder if the older was alright.

"Is there anything you'd like to tell me? Or is there something I ought to know?"

Jennie's eyes were teary. That time, Lisa could not understand the meaning behind those tears.

"I just want you to know how lucky I am for being with you and that I'm grateful for the way you love me," Jennie leaned in, giving a deep kiss to Lisa who could not help but reciprocate the kiss. After a breathless kiss, they let go and Jennie just sighed.

"I love you, Lili."

'What is it, Jennie?'

Lisa could only smile at Jennie's words as she swallowed her own.

----

Irene landed in Incheon at 4 in the morning and she had been leaving her phone off all the way from the airport, her dorm, to the company where she was supposed to meet her sajangnim. It was only by the time she arrived at the building that she turned her phone on. Several messages popped up on her screen; those that were sent during her phone was out of service. There was a message from each of her members; Seulgi, Yeri, Joy, then Wendy—all in that order. And there was one from Lisa, one sent at 2 AM—during her flight.

[from 리사] Happy Christmas, Joohyunnie! Let's spend Christmas together next time ^^

Irene read Lisa's text with a smile on her face as she moved herself to enter a room where two men seemed to be having a conversation, they stopped to pay attention to her; Suho looked at her apologetically and their CEO, Lee Sooman Sajangnim was looking at her with a contradicted expression plastered on his face.

It was puzzling because usually, all the members were summoned altogether every time they were to meet their sajangnim. Lee Sooman was a man of innovation and creation; he had set his vision of the future with unwavering ambition kept aflame in his heart, hence it was a normal sight to see him spotted discussing or conversing with the likes of Suho of EXO, Minho of SHINee, or their older seniors; like Yunho of TVXQ or Siwon of Super Junior, those ambitious men who only knew how to talk business. Thus, it only came as a wonder to Irene why she was included in a scene with the two men at that moment. Her head could not make up a scenario where she fit in a scene of such.

Their sajangnim seemed to find his resolve as he changed his expression with a gentle smile he addressed the woman and asked her to have a sit. After speaking for almost a minute; greeting her with a 'Merry Christmas,' then asking her about her well-being, along with her parents' and members', Lee Somaan finally fished out a brown envelope out of the drawer of his desk and pulled out its content.

A photo of Suho and Irene.

Kissing.

In front of a convenience store.

The convenience store.

"So, Irene and Suho, is there anything you'd like to share with me?"

Well, well, well, was it not just the perfect Christmas gift for you, Bae Joohyun?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.4K 1.5K 33
Lalisa Pranpriya Manoban aka The Reaper has killed a lot of humans with no regrets, she's a special human that doctors experimented on Most of all s...
29K 1.3K 16
How to deal with the pressure of getting married? An adorable internet celebrity streamer with a delicate, flexible and unparalleled body VS a good-l...
162K 4K 183
Just some oneshots of scenarios where I imagine mcyt's being autistic or helping an autistic individual. I don't know how this is going to go. Reques...
23.9K 576 13
A dump of intrusive thoughts turned into short stories of different BINI ships