None of Us Saw This Coming

By boxxyinyourarea

Times when Lisa, the maknae of Blackpink met Irene, the leader of Red Velvet, unconsciously fell for her, and... More

March, 2017: Let's Have Some Pho
March, 2017: About What You Saw
July, 2017: Inkigayo Sandwich
August, 2017: A Mistake
December, 2017: White Christmas
March, 2018: Surprise!
May, 2018: FRIENDS
August, 2018: Fools in Love
December, 2018: Have Yourself A Merry Happy Christmas
January 1st, 2019
February, 2019: No Thoughts, Head Empty
March, 2019: The Way She Loved
July, 2019: Heard You Found Somebody Else
October, 2019: Jealousy, Jealousy
December, 2019: The Only
January, 2020: We Found Good in Goodbye
May, 2020: Clarity
July, 2020: So Call Me, Maybe?
October, 2020: Daegu
March, 2021: Let's Have Some Pho
BREAKING: RED VELVET'S IRENE IS ENGAGED
a f t e r m a t h

July, 2018: Welcome to The Broken Hearts Club

1.7K 70 32
By boxxyinyourarea

"So, have you talked?"

Irene was washing dishes when she heard Wendy's voice next to her. The younger was busy rummaging the fridge, probably looking for the ice cream she bought last week with Seulgi (little did she know, Seulgi had finished half of the pint). They had their schedule ended earlier that day so there they were enjoying the rest of their day on that hot summer day.

Irene turned her attention to Wendy, seemingly lost in the initiated conversation. After all, it had been almost two months since she talked to Wendy about the thing Wendy asked about and it had been almost two months as well since she had resolved the matter; well, in Wendy's case, Irene's friend had resolved the matter.

"To your friend, you know—how is she now?" Wendy questioned again when she did not hear Irene's reply, only the sound of the water rushing out of the faucet hitting the ceramic dishes, along with her eonni's dumbfounded expression. She knew she needed to explain the question.

Ah, Irene's head muttered as she smiled and nodded.

"She is slowly getting better and yes, she had already talked to the other person. You were right, the confession didn't affect the other person, so they decided to stay as friends."

"That's—Well," That could not be a good thing, could it?

Wendy could not fathom her eonni's way of thinking. Sure, Irene was mature, collected, and all that, but befriending someone whom she had romantic feelings for sounded a lot like hell.

"I—Is she okay with it?"

"To be honest, it's better than being a stranger to the other person," Irene shrugged.

Lonely.

Dejected.

But she was hopeful; she tried her best to be able to stay because she liked being around Lisa and it was not Lisa's fault she fell in the first place.

"Very well, then. I hope things will work out just fine for them. You should tell her to open up to the possibility of dating—you know, to get her mind off of the other person; something casual and fun, it doesn't have to be serious. Friendly date! Yes, a friendly date! Want me to set her up with someone I know? Men, women, she can choose," Wendy said with no hesitation and glittering eyes. Irene just laughed after hearing the younger. Wendy was always the kind-hearted one.

"It's okay, Seungwan-ah. I'll see what I can do. But thank you for the offer."

"Anytime, eonni. You should treat her at the time being, for being brave and such, good food will soothe even the weariest—Yah! Kang Seulgi! This is only three spoonfuls left, are you for real?!"

There went Son Seungwan and her talent of startling Irene. Wendy who just casually opened the tub of ice cream was left astounded by the so little ice cream left, so stomped her feet to where Seulgi was and before Irene could take a breath, she could hear Seulgi whining her apologies in the background, making Irene scoff in the process.

These kids.

That night Irene took Wendy's suggestion and treated her friend—herself to good food—her comfort food, which was at a food stall located somewhere by the end of the road of their old dorm. It did take her 30 minutes to get there but it was worth it. She greeted the lady who excitedly greeted her back, 'It's been a while,' she claimed. Irene could only utter an apology because it had indeed been a long time since the last time she could make it there. Her members and she liked going there; it was always lively around, but it was full of older people who could not relate to the current music, hence they could enjoy their meal there in peace and enjoy being in the crowd without having any worry of being recognised or chased down.

While waiting for her serving with one empty bottle of soju and another one closing to empty, Irene scanned around as she enjoyed the people passing by; some workers came in groups, some came alone—scenes like that often squeezed her heart, people looked so tired at times as if it was so hard to get through one day for most people. There was no comfort that could possibly be offered that could ease them from their restless bones.

"Mind if I join you?"

A male voice that came out of nowhere, surprised her out of her reverie. She whipped her head so fast that the man who was already sitting next to her was startled back.

Suho.

"Ah, Junmyeon-ah, you startled me."

"I'm sorry. Fancy seeing you here!"

"I know. It's been a while."

Red Velvet usually met some SM artists there as well, considering it was close to all of their agency's artists' dorms, and with people not recognising them, it was one of the best spots to be. She just did not expect to meet Suho there alone.

"Where are the kids?" Suho always referred to the other members of Red Velvet as Irene's kids considering their age gap. Irene chuckled with a slight tint of redness on her cheeks—drinking was not her strongest suit, "They're at the dorm, I came here to treat myself."

"Hmmm? Did something good happen?"

"The opposite, actually, just got my first heartbreak, if I can call it that," The warmth from the alcohol bursting in her chest had made it easier for her to open up to basically anyone. Suho was there, so to Suho, she poured her heart out.

"You? Heartbreak? That's new," Suho chuckled as he helped Irene by pouring another shot of soju into her glass.

"Mhmm. I was surprised myself," Irene said as she digested another shot and slammed the glass on the table, "Say, should I start dating?"

"Here's your order, young lady. Enjoy!" Irene's food had finally been served in front of her, she addressed her 'thank you' to the old lady whose smile looked like Seulgi's, her eyes created two crescents—it was adorable.

"Do you want to start dating?" Suho stifled his laugh. After years of knowing Irene, only a few months not seeing her, suddenly she was already had her heartbroken and even considering dating. Whoever turned Irene Bae, one of the coldest women to ever go down in the history of KPop, upside down deserved recognition and a standing ovation.

"I've never really thought about it."

"Are you just trying to run away from your heartbreak?"

"Wendy said it was a good distraction; like just for the fun of it. A friendly date!" Irene shrugged.

"A friendly date? Isn't it just like hanging out with a friend like what we're doing right now?"

Suho laughed to his heart's content. He had known Irene personally for almost five years by then, ever since they were trainees, he knew Irene was one of the kind. She was smart, and it was not book smart kind of smart, she was street smart, she was a person who knew her ways in the world, but right then, next to him, sitting a clueless little girl who looked like she could not tell her feet from her head.

"You don't want any distraction, trust me. You should enjoy the process."

"And why should I trust you, Mr. Goody Two Shoes? It's not like you've ever had any heartbreaks before," Irene rolled her eyes as she chug another shot.

"Why do you think I'm here alone?"

That made Irene shift her attention to Suho who was staring right back at her. He lifted his own shot of soju and gestured Irene to clink their glasses as the both of them let the alcohol burn down their throat.

"We probably should start a broken hearts club now," Suho joked.

"Oh, aren't we young and miserable?" Irene sighed dramatically as she laughed, while Suho just drank to that.

They were the last two customers at the stall (they were also most probably the ones who finished the last stock of food there). Due to their schedules, it was rare for them to be able to get a chance to sit down and have a chat, hence they could not stop their conversation the moment they got together. If it was not for the stall closing, they would probably end up talking until morning. Suho understood Irene in ways that none other could when it came to their professional lives; being leaders of their respective groups had put both Irene and Suho in places that their members could not relate to. That was why Irene liked talking to Suho, he always had something he could share based on his experience.

Before heading back to her dorm, Irene dropped by a convenience store for some water to help her sober up after parting ways with Suho. It was around 2 in the morning when she rushed out of the convenience store and a big Doberman suddenly appeared out of nowhere barking at her, probably startled of her who just appeared from behind the door.

Fuck.

The surprised woman just threw her bottle and accidentally reached for her neck and scratch it. She froze in place as the dog barked at her. The dog's owner was trying so hard to calm his dog down.

"Irene!"

In the midst of her chaotic state of mind, a familiar voice was heard as fastening steps approached her.

It was Suho.

"I'm sorry! I'm really really sorry!" The owner bowed at them both being sincerely sorry for what just happened. The two dismissed him and told him that it was alright; it was fortunate that they both were wearing their masks and hats so the man did not recognise them.

Suho turned to Irene after the man had gone out of their earshot and he saw her neck was cut pretty deeply because blood could be seen slowly dripping out of it.

"How could you be so reckless?!" Suho scolded the petite woman pointing at the cuts, "We need to take care of this," He continued. Suho sat Irene at the side of the little path where the convenience store was as he went inside to buy some alcohol and band-aids. They needed to treat it so it did not scar.

Irene hissed the moment Suho gently applied the alcohol. She made two cuts on her neck; one was deeper than the other and the deeper one stung like a little bitch that Irene shed a little tear. Suho smiled lightly at how Irene tried so hard to toughen it up, while Irene smiled lightly at how Suho tried his best to take care of her cuts. It might be the alcohol from their dinner that still lingered in their systems, it might be the atmosphere but before Irene could blame the culprit for the sudden change of mood, Suho had leaned in and given her a kiss. She could feel his breath against her skin and suddenly Suho pulled back.

That was—

"—Nope. Sorry, that was just—no," Suho said immediately, clearly regretting his sudden impulse. If he were to kiss a sibling then that would be how kissing a sibling tasted like.

"Yeah—No," Irene did not even bother to cover the cringe on her face. That was just plain awful.

What was he even thinking?

It was not awkward, however, they both knew they did not want that. So they blamed it on the alcohol. There was just no spark. They were better off being friends for sure.

The Broken Hearts Club members.

After that incident, Suho decided to take Irene back to her dorm. To make sure of her safety, like the gentleman he was raised to be. Why he even left Irene in the first place was also questionable to him.

"Another one of your friendly dates next time?" Suho asked the moment they arrived at Irene's dorm.

"Sure, but please leave our lips out of it," Irene rolled her eyes, Suho could only pout like a kid uttering his sorry. Irene would definitely use it to tease him mercilessly in the future, he was sure of it. After he bid his goodbye, Suho went back to his own dorm on the opposite side.

Irene woke up with an itching neck and a slight headache. What a way to start a morning. She slowly got up and dragged her way out of her room, she needed a couple of Advil because clearly, her brain hated her so much it felt like it was slowly plotting an escape.

"Where were you last night, eonni?" Joy's voice was heard from the living room, she was sitting on the couch while flipping some magazines.

"What happened to your neck?" That time, it was the second-oldest Seulgi's voice, face all surprised and worried.

"And why did I see Junmyeon Oppa left our building?" Of course, Yeri did, the kid never slept a blink whenever they had no schedules for the following day. She played games like there was no tomorrow.

"Is there something you'd like to tell us, eonni?" Wendy stared at her with a questionable expression; an expression she could not read.

Seeing all eyes on her made Irene feel slightly nervous, she had been reckless if not irresponsible, she just realised how it must look like, band-aids on her neck in the morning and Suho got out of their building the night before.

"It's not like what you think. I went to have some late-night dinner with a friend," She glanced at Wendy then at Joy, "Then I met Junmyeon, with whom I parted ways later on," She glanced at the youngest Yeri, "Then I almost ripped my neck because a big dog suddenly appeared out of nowhere barking at me, I was so surprised I just grabbed whatever I could out of reflex, which idiotic enough, was my neck. Junmyeon was there when he saw me getting scolded by the dog, so he fixed my neck and brought me home," She looked at Seulgi then all of them altogether.

"I'm sorry. I know, we should be careful, we don't want to make it into the list," She continued.

The list was the name they uses to refer to a literal list made by one of the biggest media in South Korea that seemed to always chase South Korean artists' arses down. It was a list containing names of artists; celebrities, actors, and idols, whom they caught dating or having a scandal.

"It's alright, eonni, even if you do. I mean, it's not like we're still banned from dating," Joy shrugged as she smiled at the older, assuring her.

"Eonni, we don't mind. We're happy if you are," Seulgi smiled too, her crescent eyes looked calming and it made Irene release her stiffened shoulders she did not realise she had been holding.

"But I'm not dating," Irene tried to convince her dongsaengs.

"We're just saying it's okay if you are," Wendy reassured her.

It was heartwarming. Irene missed moments like this, they usually were too busy to gather in the same room at the same time, their schedules were always too hectic, and by the time they got back home, they already locked themselves up in their rooms to catch the rests lacking in their systems; those they terribly needed. So to be caught up in such a scene, Irene could not help feeling melancholic and sentimental. She was grateful to be surrounded by people who loved her sincerely.

"Just don't go around leaving hickeys at places anyone can see."

"Yah! Kim Yerim!

----

"You want to die?!"

Irene forgot to distance her mouth from her phone microphone that she almost made Lisa throw her phone away from her ear when Irene's high pitched voice pierced the poor young woman's right ear, almost burst her eardrum and stabbed her brain. Lisa even felt blood about to come out of her ear from the unexpected impact. Irene had a crazily high pitched voice, it could pass as a weapon.

Irene was bored as she was evening her breath after the group's dance practice for SMTown Live that would be held in Osaka closing the end of the month when she stumbled upon a rumour in which Lisa made a headline; the young idol would be joining the cast of Real Man, a reality show where idols were to join the military academy and live the life of the real army. The moment she saw the rumour she punched the younger's number and the moment Lisa cheerfully greeted her, she ended up screaming her lungs out, which caused Joy to jump, Wendy's ear to create white noise, Yeri to bulge her eyes out, and Seulgi to grimace, praying for whoever on the other line. Irene uttered a tiny sorry after realising her whereabouts.

"You think I won't last a day?" The 'whoever on the other line' spoke again, Irene just wished she could get into her phone and appear on the other line to slap some senses into Lisa's head.

"That's not even the slightest problem. What if you injured yourself?" Concern was glazing on her words and tones.

"Said my Joohyunnie and my three other eonnis," to which Irene could only sigh. Lisa was just as stubborn as she was.

"Won't you be tired?"

"I'm in my youth, Joohyunnie. Nothing can tire me just yet. Probably later, when I'm at your age, then maybe—"

"—You know, if you think me being friends with you means you'll get a free pass for being such an insufferable brat, then you need to think twice, dearie."

Lisa could only gulp at the words of her Joohyunnie. It was infused with venom, she should keep her words to herself before Irene went bonkers and snatched her tongue for fun.

"I'm sorry, Joohyunnie. It would only be a week."

"Just take care of yourself," with that Irene hung the phone up. Her mood just did a triple-backflip out of the room. She got up to go outside for some fresh air, there was no way she would continue practising in such a mood, it would affect her members who knew no shit. Her phone vibrated in her hand telling her that she got a new message.

[from 리사] Joohyunnie! Let's meet at our usual place tonight ^^

The audacity of this brat.

So she said in her brain but that night she found herself at the park anyway, swinging herself gently as she lightly kicked some gravel near her feet.

"My Joohyunnie, have you been waiting long?" Lisa finally appeared with two warm cans of coffee and handed one to Irene, while Irene shook her head as she took the coffee, wondering how she could possibly enjoy the process when Lisa was torturing her with such a gentle smile. Suho was such a fraud.

"I came to give you our Seoul first concert tickets!" Lisa was beyond excited, but Irene could not share the excitement, her face froze as her eyes went dull.

"I'm sorry, Lisa-yah. I've already made plans for that day," Irene sighed apologetically, "I'll make it up to you guys. I promise," She quickly added. Jennie had actually beaten Lisa to it, the petit woman had contacted her a week after their concert schedule was released and asked if Red Velvet members would like to be reserved a ticket and to Jennie she had requested tickets for her members, while she would not be able to attend. Before Lisa could say anything (as she was busy trying to cover her disappointment) Irene had beaten her to excuse herself. They bid a half-hearted goodbye to each other.

Irene thought it would not be a bother to the younger, that it did not matter whether she attended the concert or not. It was Irene's loss after all. Little did she know, Lisa actually had her heart shattered out of it. It should have not been a problem, should it? Irene could make plans however she wanted, but why did it leave such a crooked feeling in her heart, like it was breaking?

With a sigh, Lisa left the park with trails of disappointment.

Welcome to The Broken Hearts Club.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 303 22
When a two woman met. When their world collided. What will happen when your world collided to her?
32.5K 1.3K 13
[ COMPLETE ✅ LISRENE AU ] Lisa Manoban kisses a masked stranger on New Year's Eve and they promise to meet at the same place again next year. As Lis...
56.7K 1K 38
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Fanfcition. Mainly fluff but a little smut There will be general mature themes and smut I will try to update three tim...
18.7K 478 25
Visenya has been summoned by Rhaenyra to join her at court, with The North secured she agrees and flies to Kingslanding to be with her family. Tensio...