Phoenix

By ashley_ruth

Sequel of the book "The Frost"... Can anyone tell how can one news be good and bad at the same time? let me g... More

TerveisiΓ€!!!
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.

09.

111 18 10
By ashley_ruth

A few hours later.

Jin was sitting inside the glassed office. Jong-il took all the files soaked in sprinkled water. There was nothing to do at this time.
He was supposed to catch a flight two hours earlier.
A disaster happened here and without knowing the extent, he couldn't make himself just go. He didn't ask Arya anything for an explanation except asking her to give a damage control report just like others.

He was deep in his thoughts. He had questions.
Arya said the culprit was a virus. But that one was nothing similar to normal computer viruses. Other virus destroys files, and data and affects operating system highest. But neither of those causes a short circuit to destroy ten computers at the same time. No matter how powerful the virus is- at the end of the day it is a software program. How can physical damage be done with a software program?

The source of the virus was also concerning him. It was inside an Outerspace signal received by the deep space probe. It was inside NASA!

Arya said that the source is authentic. There is no doubt that it came from outer space. What does it mean? Is it really any alien technology? Trying to invade plants in their mass colonization process across galaxies?

Jin smiled mildly seeing the absurdity of his thoughts. He knew he wasn't living inside a sci-fi movie.
Not alien. He was sure that behind all these shits- only one animal can be responsible. The two-footed apparently "civilized" animal of this planet- is human.

But how did they do it- that is the real question here.

A computer virus is just another invention of those mad computer scientists. And the hackers often use it on others as a part of some sort of humor. In the last few decades, the cyber world has seen few virus attacks done by mischievous hackers. And maximum of those attacks were done just for fun without any definite goal.
This may be one of their pranks too.

But this time- the damage it will bring will break the records of previous rds. It was luck that Arya was an expert in this field and could grasp the situation quickly.

They have four more days ahead to report to the concerned authority before the attack takes place.

Hearing the sound in the door, Jin looked up to see Arya standing there.

Arya came inside and sat across Jin. A sign of tiredness was prominent on her face as if she had just gone through a storm and she sighed and said, "I am ready for the debriefing, Jin."

"This fast!"

"I used my laptop. It's a luck that it wasn't connected to this internal server."

"Mnnn. What did you find?"

"That one indeed was a virus. Unique, one of a kind. Very powerful."

"But how come a virus can affect the hardware that is the question. It's not possible to affect hardware using the software. Normally. But that isn't entirely true. On 25th April 1999, a virus named CIH attacked the computer system of the world. We saw that hardware can be affected by software with CIH. But CIH could just destroy the internal memories in the motherboard."

"And what we saw today?"

"It is much more advanced than that CIH by many folds. I don't how they have done it, but it bypassed all the electrical resistance of all the circuits inside the CPU. So the current flowing through them was a few times greater than the normal time. That's why it burned all the circuits inside it."

"Is it even possible?" Jin wasn't sure. It all indeed seemed like a sci-fi movie this time.

"Theoretically...yes. But if you ask me if it is possible in real life- I have doubts. It's like time travel theory. It is possible in theoretical physics, but impossible in real life. No programming language strong enough has been developed yet to create such a command. This technology is a few generations ahead of us."

"So what are you indicating?" Jin sighed, "it's an alien technology?"

"I am not saying that either," Arya shook her head, "what I just told you is the 'official' version of the report. Just to let you know 'unofficially', that strong programming language has developed indeed. But there is no proof."

Jin frowned, "you are hiding something."

"You have to listen to a story first to capture the vast picture," Arya smiled a little, "it's a myth. You can call it an Urban legend of the cyber world. A few decades ago, can't tell you the exact timeline...Ten computer scientists developed the strongest programming code ever existed in this world. Normally the fundamental language of our computer system is a binary signal. Whatever we type or command through a keyboard or mouse, computers translate those into zero and one. The computers understand commands by the variation of just these two digits. But our genius ten scientists made another language which is even more basic than binary. There is no place for zero there. There is only one digit. ONE. That was a singular code.

"Wait a minute," Jin stopped Arya, "how can they make a whole code with just one digit? If there aren't at least two elements, how the permutation and combination would work?"

"They made it possible with only one digit. With the duration of stability, rhythm, and frequency of the electric pulse of the single-digit- they brought the variation in it. The process is very complex even for me. You can't understand." Arya shook her shoulder.

"Ok. What happened next?"

"Exactly that happened what was bound to happen. That language became the strongest and prime language in the coding world. Do you get how strong that was? A single-digit just. It can break down any program in microseconds that have been written in binary. After testing the efficacy of the language, our ten genius stopped."

"Why?" Jin was curious.

"A thousands of complexity for starters. To replace the whole binary infrastructure with this code was impossible at that time. Probably now too. Our whole cyber world has been built based on binary. If it has to be replaced by a new code, the whole system would fall apart. All the progression is done in binary- to replace and translate it into this new code and to teach the whole world the new language- was almost an impossible task. And the singular code- that was so complex that to teach and let people adapt to that system would have cost many decades. And the progression and invention that could have been done meanwhile would also be stopped. If you don't know the language, how can you work on it?"

"But they just abandoned such a strong invention just for that?

"Not exactly abandoned, Jin." Arya shook her head, "they decided that it's not the perfect time yet to reveal the code to everyone. They needed to research more, and develop it more so that it becomes easier. They decided to make a definite grammar for this programming language so that people can learn it easily. And they tried to invent a process so that the process of transferring the whole binary system into this code be fast and easier. For your information- they didn't succeed till now."

"If only ten people try to do such huge work- how can they progress? And what was the reason for all this secrecy? They could have revealed it and asked help from the computer scientists all over the world!" Jin opposed.

"Because of the unimaginable power this singular code held. You still couldn't get it, right? As long as you can't bring the whole computer system of the world under this code- this code is just another destructive weapon in your hand. If it falls into the hands of the hacker, there won't be something called 'cyber security' anymore. No matter how strong security you have in binary code, this code will break it down in milliseconds. The banking system, insurance, and even the computerized defense system of any country- everything will be its prey. So they promised that they will neither disclose the code nor teach anybody about it until their research succeeds. They kept the promise. But due to the experiments they did earlier- words spread.
The rumor spread about the code. A name was also given to it- Uno code. Use of 1- that's where the name came from. People started calling the ten genii 'The Uno.' but that's just it. Nobody learned the language ever since except them. Nobody even knows their identity. They have become living legends. We call them the God of the cyber world. They are the strongest computer programmers the world has ever seen." Arya took a long breath after finishing the long story.

"How does this story relates to our present problem?" Jin raised a brow towards Arya.

"That virus...that is made by Uno code. That's why it's so powerful. It was our luck that I didn't connect our computer system with any outside network yet for the redevelopment previously. Otherwise, it would spread and destroy every computer connected to this setup. And if it somehow can enter the network server computers, you won't see the end of it. All the computers in the world are connected to the net through these servers. 80-90% of the computer system of the whole world will be destroyed within seconds if the virus can invade any of these server computers."

"That powerful?" Jin gasped, "can't we stop it with any security protocol?"

"We can. If that security system is also made of Uno code. But all we have binary."

Jin eyed Arya for a good thirty seconds and said, "you are still not disclosing the whole truth. If the code is this much secured, how come you know so much about it and how could you recognize it as soon as you saw it? You told someone taught you, who is he? An Uno?"

"Yes, Jin," Arya hesitated a bit, "I know an Uno in person. His name is Dr. Stanley Donnen. He was my professor at Oxford University. The story- he told me all of it. I accidentally discovered him being an Uno and persuaded him to teach me. I approached him for almost a year before he finally gave in. But he just taught me some fundamental elements in it. He was super strict on his promise and told me he won't teach me the programming language. The amount he taught me isn't enough for writing a program in Uno code. I had to promise him to not disclose to anyone about him. I even wouldn't tell you if it wasn't such a huge crisis."

"Huge crisis indeed," Jin nodded, "the signal is inside NASA's computer. How is the possibility of its spreading everywhere?"

"The possibility is high." Arya nodded.

"Then it is going to be messy. There is a storm coming up ahead. What can we do? Can we stop the attack if we shut down the computers during the deadline?"

"Nope. The virus will activate after 90 hours. No matter when you start the computer again, it will attack. Besides, we don't know the extent of the spread already. If we could have traced computers and shut them down- there was a possibility to stop the attack. And if it was possible to shut down every computer connected to a network on the whole planet during the deadline- it could have been possible. But if only even one computer is running at that time, it will be game over. The virus will destroy every computer and network connected to that computer."

"If the computer system crumbles down, it will be like pushing the civilization towards paleolithic age once again." Jin nodded in understanding.

"That will not be it." Arya disagreed, "every country which uses computerized defense system including America doesn't allow their private network connect to the mainstream network. And they keep backups too. No matter how powerful Uno code is, it sure can't fly! To enter into those isolated networks, it will need some entryway!"

"So you are saying that the defense systems are protected from the threat?"
Jin sighed in a little relief.

"But that won't do much good either. The whole banking system and the economy of the world are run by networks. If those are gone, what can only the defense system do to stop the global crisis?" Arya disagreed.

Suddenly Jin looked at Arya with wide eyes remembering something, "even defense isn't secured either, Arya! Have you already forgotten that you told me that the audio signal has been sent to the airforce for further research? That the signal has been analyzed in the top-secret computer of the defense system? All the countries who obtained the signal through hacking- I am sure everyone did the same. That means the virus has already entered the defense system!"

"Oh fuck!" Arya gasped loudly, "that's why...that's why it has sent as an alien signal. He who released the virus knows that only that way this signal will be analyzed in the top-secret computer in defense system!"

"But why NASA couldn't understand the trick?"

"Uno code... it's done with the help of Uno code. The signal has been transmitted by intercepting the signal of Voyager 2. So NASA thought that it came from voyager 2. It's impossible to detect such type of hacking."

"So, we can say that behind all these, there is an Uno involved?" Jin looked into Arya's eyes.

"Yes. But even thinking it seems impossible to me," Arya shook her head, "They didn't get the title 'God of cyber world' just because of this or that. Their works also contributed to that reputation. They want only the best for this world. That's why they kept their promise not to reveal this invention. Why would someone among them suddenly decide to make a virus and spread it all of a sudden after so many years?"

"It's not new," Jin disagreed, "when good people decide to turn evil, nothing can be worse than that. I saw a scientist a few years back who tried to destroy a whole nuclear power plant due to the loss of his loved ones."

"I still can't believe it." Arya's voice still had a doubt, "I can't believe some of them can do such a thing."

"You believe it or not, it is a huge problem and we have to somehow deal with it."

"To fight against it, we need an actual Uno, Jin."

"Right. Your professor- Dr. Donnen. Can't you get his help?"

"Maybe," Arya said bitterly, "but how am I supposed to know where he is? I called the university a few days ago for a solution for my new server- couldn't get hold of him. They said he resigned two months ago. He is a widower, with no children. He didn't have that much connection with his relatives either. So nobody can confirm where he went."

"Maybe he went under the radar willingly," Jin shrugged, "maybe it is him who spread the virus?"

"Impossible!" Arya protested strongly, "I know him very well. He isn't a maniac who would plot to destroy the whole world!"

"It's not time to comment on something yet," Jin was calm, "let's locate him first."

Jin took the intercom and pressed the key, "Jong-il-sshi, we need to locate a person, Dr. Stanley Donnen. He used to teach at Oxford University, the computer and software engineering department. Activate all the sources and informers we have in hand. It's an emergency."

"What will we do now? Just sit back?" Arya asked after Jin ended the call.

"No. We have to alert everyone. Let me see if I can convince NIS to declare a general alert."

"We have to do something besides the general alert too. How many days will you make people turn off their computers?"

"At least the primary crisis can be tackled until Dr. Donnen helps."

"No. People won't listen. I remember now, last year, it was spread that an Uno code attack was on the way. But nothing happened. If we spread general alert, people will take it as just another rumor."

"Who spread that rumor in the first place?" Jin's face immediately darkened.

"Nobody knows who or why."

"Mnn. Is it possible that that rumor was spread as a staging for this main attack? So that people won't pay any attention this time?"

"Not impossible," Arya was thinking out loud, "we don't have proof either to show people. Why would they believe us to shut down the whole computer system of the whole world? They'll need a demonstration. But that is not easy either. It needs another sub-program you just saw."

"You can make this and we can distribute it. People can see for themselves then."

"It's not that easy, Jin." Arya sighed, "our network was very small. Besides, I knew everything about its structure, so I didn't face any hurdles. But every country has a different network and security system. It isn't possible to fool the internal clock of every type of system with a common program."

"If you give guidelines, can't their own programmers do that? They should know their system!"

"They might be able to make the program. But they won't be able to bridge the program with the Uno code signal. That work is complicated and I could do it cause I knew the basics of the code. They won't get that benefit."

"What! That means you have to go everywhere to do it? We don't have the time!"

"As I said, It is a huge crisis." Arya rubbed her eyes, "only antivirus can solve this problem- an antivirus made by Uno-code.".

"That means Dr. Donnen. We don't know any other Uno."

"Yes." Arya finally agreed to something Jin suggested.

"But we can't just sit here. At least we have to inform the Americans. It's their soil and NASA received the signal in the first place. After nine-eleven, they destroyed a few countries just on the base of assumption calling it a defense mechanism. God knows how many countries this time will be victims if the virus attacks America. It will be a legit world war.".

"Who should we inform?" Arya frowned, "the CIA?"

"Yes. Get ready. You will go with me too. Let's show them the demonstration."

"Where will we go? Washington D.C? Langley? Their headquarter?"

"No. We don't have that much time. Let's go to their Los Angeles branch. They will do the rest. They will inform whomever they'll need to."

"I'll take the copy of the virus then, they may not have it there."
Arya got up from the chair.

"Where will you get the copy?"

"Saved one copy in my laptop so that I could do some digging." Arya nodded, "I'll be right back."

After Arya went away, Jin contacted The NIS headquarter.

"Yes, Hyung?" Namjoon's voice came through.

"Connect me with the chief." Jin didn't go to any formality exchange, "it's urgent."

After he was connected with the chief, Jin clearly explained the whole situation to him and his plans for now.

"I'll arrange a general alert," The chief assured him, "at least people should know about it."

"Yes sir. And if you permit me, I want to show it to the CIA."

"Of course, you have to. But it would have been great if you could have approached them through George."

George Anderson is the director of NUMA and a good friend of the NIS chief.
Jin worked with NUMA previously and the director had a special admiration for Jin as he was his lifesaver once. If the CIA don't believe Jin, they'd surely believe the NUMA director. But unfortunately, George Anderson had a massive heart attack the day Jin set foot in America and now there was no way he'd get help in that way.

"I'd still like to try, sir," Jin was strict in his decision.

"After informing them, I want you to keep searching for Dr. Donnen, and find the antivirus as soon as possible. And be careful. He who spread the virus may try to stop you if they see you being nosy."

"I'd be careful, sir."

"Agent Akaishi is the biggest asset you have right now. Use her. Get her help. And best of luck to both of you."

"Thank you, sir." Jin put down the phone and looked at Arya who had had had just come in again inside the office, "let's go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 637 12
"I promised you, didn't I? That I would make your victory feel miserable." Life sucks when you've got a lot of demons in your head to deal with. Add...
611K 24.5K 51
Meet Han Y/n, a seemingly ordinary teenager leading a content life with her mother. Everything appeared perfect until their lives took an unexpected...
753K 22.3K 48
a girl with a sweet and kind nature turns into a cold person after recalling her past. ///////////////////////// ???: please stop*sob*it hurts*crying...
5.3K 191 17
| ORIGINALLY POSTED ON MY TUMBLR | @sunshine-and-bangtan Jimin, a vampire who is apart of a small gang of local vampires (aka the Bangtan Boy's or B...