Ariana: The Hobbit

By BiancaEvans2

Ariana Baggins lived a quiet life in the Shire with her adopted older brother Bilbo Baggins. Until one day Ga... More

Uninvited Guests
That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates
Thorin Oakenshield and Contract
Joining The Company
Three Mountain Trolls
Escaping Orc Pack
Rivendell and Heritage
Goblin Town
Fire and Eagles
Beorn the Skin Changer
Mirkwood Spiders
Day with King Thranduil
Escaping Mirkwood
Bard the Barge Man
Master of Lake Town
Entering the Mountain
Broken Promise
Peace or War
Battle of the Five Armies

Smaug

333 18 3
By BiancaEvans2

Ariana's POV

I hold Bilbo's hand as we made our way through the deserted halls. We soon reach the treasure hall. There were piles of gold, jewels and gems everywhere. "How are we suppose to find the Arkenstone in this?" Bilbo asks me quietly.

"We'll find it" I assure him. "Lets start over there" I say pointing to the pile closest to us. He nods his head and we head towards it.

"Any sign of the dragon?" he asks lowly and I shake my head. We start to sort through the piles. Climbing them knocking coins and jewels as we want. Bilbo muttering to himself about the Arkenstone and it's appearance. "A large white jewel, very helpful" he mutters.

"Just keep searching" I tell him. He grumbles and does so. He climbs higher for a better vantage point. While searching through the pile of coins. "Be careful up there" I tell him and he just waves his hand. I shake my head and focus on the pile of coins in front of me.

"Ariana!" Bilbo whisper yells as I hear a large snort. I look up at my brother to see him behind a pillar and frown in confusion. "Hide" he mouths. Suddenly I see a large scaly tail as I hear more coins scatter. I gulp and dive behind a pile of coins. While Bilbo stays behind the pillar.

Smaug wakes and lifts his head up getting to his feet. I try to bury my self in the treasure. Praying Bilbo had found a safer place to hide.

"Well thieves. I smell you. I hear your breathes. I feel your air.  Where are you?" Smaug asks. I gulp trying to calm my heart. Praying that Bilbo doesn't move. I spot something shining in a pile of coins. I gasp lightly, that has to be the Arkenstone.

Suddenly I'm grabbed and scream. "No, let me go!" I shout. Hitting the scaly tail.

"One down, where's your friend thief?" Smaug asks me.

"I'll never tell, you'll have to kill me" I tell him.  Suddenly we hear coins scattering and turn to see an invisible force running through them. Smaug chases after it, keeping a tight grip on me.

"Come now. Don't be shy, step into the light" Smaug tells Bilbo as he remains hidden.

"Don't listen to him!" I shout.

"Silence" Smaug snarls at me tightening his grip. I start to have trouble breathing. He continues to search for Bilbo, talking as he does. "There is something about you. Something you... carry.
Something made of gold. But far more... precious" he says.

Suddenly Bilbo appears from thin air holding a ring. "There you are. Thief in the Shadows" Smaug says.

"We did not come to steal from you" Bilbo lies. "O Smaug the Unassessably Wealthy. We merely wanted to gaze upon your magnificence. To see if you really were as great as the old tales say. Please let my sister go. We did not believe them" he states.

Smaug loosens his grip on me, but doesn't let me go. "And do you now?" Smaug asks.

"Yes" I say hoarsely trying to catch my breath.

"Truly the tales and songs fall utterly short of your enormity. O Smaug the Stupendous" Bilbo adds.

"Do you think flattery will keep you and your sister alive?" Smaug asks him.

"No" we say.

"No indeed" Smaug agrees placing me in his talons. "You seem familiar with my name. But I don't remember smelling your kind before" he states. "This one is of man, but smells like you" he adds looking at me.

"I was raised by his kind" I state.

"Who are you both and where do you come from, may I ask?" Smaug asks looking at Bilbo. I spot the stone and lock eyes with Bilbo. Before looking at it, he follows my gaze. He spots it and looks back up at Smaug.

"I come from under the hill" Bilbo states.

"Underhill?" Smaug asks and we nod our heads.

"And under hills and over hills our path has led" I state.

"And... And... through the air. I am he who walks unseen" Bilbo states.

"Impressive" Smaug says placing me beside Bilbo and I grip his hand tightly. "What else do you claim to be?" he asks.

"I am Luck-wearer. Riddle-maker" Bilbo states.

"I am Healer and siren singer" I say.

"Lovely titles. Go on" Smaug tells us.

"Barrel rider" we say together.

"Barrels? Now that is interesting" Smaug states. "And what about your little Dwarf friends?  Where are they hiding?" he asks us.

"Dwarves?" Bilbo asks.

"What's a dwarf?" I ask fawning innocence.

"You've got that all wrong" Bilbo tells him.

"I don't think so, Barrel-riders" Smaug states. As Bilbo and I inch our way towards the Arkenstone. "They sent you both in here to do their dirty work while they skulk about outside" he states.

"Truly you are mistaken. O Smaug, Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities" Bilbo tells him. As I focus on the stone. Almost there, keep him distracted Bilbo.

"You have nice manners for a thief and... a liar!" Smaug snarls.

"My brother has never lied to anyone Master Smaug" I tell him.

"I know the smell and taste of Dwarf. No one better. It is the gold!" Smaug starts to rant. While he is distracted we inch closer to the stone. Just as I was about to grab it, Smaug foot knocks it away and Bilbo rolls after it. Me not far behind. "They are drawn to treasure like flies to dead flesh. Did you think I did not know this day would come?! That a pack of canting Dwarves would come crawling back to the mountain?!" he demands.

"The King Under the Mountain is dead. I took his throne. I ate his people like a wolf among sheep" he rants. As we raced down the stairs away from him. Chasing the stone. "My armor is iron" he states gliding after us. "No blade can pierce me" he tells us. Except a black arrow.

"It's Oakenshield that filthy Dwarvish usurper. He sent you both in here for the Arkenstone, didn't he?" he asks us.

"No" we partially lie. It was on Thorin's orders, but Balin sent us in here.

"We don't knowwhat you're talking about" Bilbo tells him.

"Don't bother denying it. I guessed his foul purpose some time ago. But it matters not. Oakenshield's quest will fail. The darkness is coming. It will spread to every corner of the land" Smaug tells us.

"What darkness?" I ask confused. Did he mean Azog and his orcs? Or something else?

"You both are being used, Thieves in the Shadows. You were only ever a means to an end" Smaug tells us. "The coward Oakenshield has weighed the value of your life and found it worth nothing" he states.

"No, no Bilbo he's lying" I tell my brother.

"I know" he says.

"What did he promise you both? A share of the treasure? As if it was his... to give. I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it" Smaug tells us. We watch him and I notice a gap in his scales on his chest. "My teeth... are swords. My claws are spears. My Wings are a hurricane" he states. I nudge Bilbo and nod to Smaug.

"So it is true" he whispers seeing the missing scale. "The black arrow found it's mark" he mutters. I nod my head in agreement.

"What did you say?" Smaug asks.

"I was just saying your reputation precedes you, O Smaug the Tyrannical" Bilbo says.

"Truly. You have no equal on this earth" I state and Bilbo nods his head in agreement. As we look at the stone beside us.

"I am almost tempted to let you take it. If only to see Oakenshield suffer. Watch it destroy him.
Watch it corrupt his heart and drive him mad" Smaug tells us. "But I think not" he states. "I think our little game ends here" he continues as I notice his chest lighting up. That can't be good. "So tell me thieves how do you choose to die?" he asks us.

Bilbo disappears and I dive to the side as Smaug shots a burst of fire. "Run Bilbo!" I shout and take off in one direction as Smaug follow me. Great, how am I suppose to out run a dragon? I dive behind a pillar avoiding another burst of fire. He smashes the pillar and I roll away from it. I see the entrance to the halls and run for it.

A/N

Gif above of the Arkenstone  and picture on the external link of Smaug towering over Bilbo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
37.9K 768 25
I'm sure you've all heard of Bilbo Baggins and of his adventures to reclaim Erebor for the dwarves. But have you heard of his younger cousin Astrid...
68.8K 2.1K 41
Before the dragon, Smaug, took Erabor, the dwarves found something far more dangerous... Skyrena was raised in Mirkwood, never realizing that she was...
398K 10.6K 64
Leona Baggins lives with her older brother Bilbo in the peaceful rolling hills of the Shire - that peace is short-lived when a wizard and a group of...