Stray Dogs

By astridtheotter

nanami x male reader x gojou ~ ♡︎ ~ "I'm just a kid though." "Yep, a kid with grown-up powers!" (M/N) was a... More

playlist
magus ignotus
lux ex tenebris
semper domum rediens
amor est vitae essentia
veritas nunquam perit
vita nova
in vino veritas
ex nihilo nihil fit
divide et impera
sic parvis magna
persona non grata
clavis aurea
ad oculos
a/n

luctor et emergo

4.4K 214 49
By astridtheotter

After feeding Megumi and Tsumiki a heavy meal of hotpot, the group was finally on the way to their new home. (M/N) was lost in thought about the children, eventually turning to his best friend, who was on his phone. "Satoru, what's going to happen to their education? They're too young for Jujutsu Tech's education system," He whispered, gently rubbing circles on a sleepy Megumi's back.

"They'll keep attending regular school, don't worry, Sunshine," Satoru replied calmly, an arm slung around Tsumiki's sleeping frame. "It's just our responsibility to take them there everyday."

"Easy enough," (M/N) hummed. "What about Megumi's jujutsu training? We haven't learned what his technique is yet."

"Nope, but we'll wait until the weekend to find that out. They've already had an odd week - let's give 'em time," Satoru said. (M/N) looked at him with a bit of surprise. "What?"

(M/N) smiled and ruffled Gojou's messy hair. "For someone that was so hellbent on getting him to learn jujutsu, you're sure lightening up," he remarked. "Are my skills with children rubbing off on you, Satoru?" He teased.

Gojou's face went a bit pink with embarrassment. However, he swiftly recovered and smirked. "Never," he whispered back, leaning closer to (M/N)'s fact. "But are my flirting skills rubbing off on you, (M/N)?" He teased in return.
They stared each other down, the tension growing. Their faces were mere centimeters apart, eyes scanning features. "Y'know, I really missed you," Satoru whispered. (M/N) felt his ears grow hot, breath growing a bit uneven. "It wasn't until you were gone that I realized-"

"We're here!" Ijichi announced as he swung the car door open for everyone to step out. "Oh goodness-!" He yelped at the sight, covering his eyes. Satoru and (M/N) quickly separated, both embarrassed at being caught. "W-Well, I- uhm, kids! Wake up!"

Megumi grumbled and slowly opened his eyes, his arm still tightly wrapped around his Komodo dragon plushie. He looked out the door and his eyes widened in awe. "Woah," he whispered.

Tsumiki copied her stepbrother's actions and gasped. "It's beautiful!" She remarked, quickly climbing out the car. Megumi followed behind her, running up to the gates. "We get to live here?!"

"Yep!" (M/N) laughed, getting out the car with Satoru and shutting the door behind him. "Let's not let that happen again," he whispered to his companion with a knowing look. "I missed you as well, Satoru, but that's all."

Gojou pouted and shrugged. "Sure, Sunshine," he said back. "We'll see about that," he hummed, smirking. They got Megumi and Tsumiki's bags out the trunk and turned to head to the gate, seeing Nanami and Shoko waiting there. "Nanamin, Shoko!" He greeted cheerfully.

"Good to see you guys were successful," Shoko said, looking down at the two kids. "Hello, you two."

"Hi," Tsumiki politely greeted, bowing to the adults. Megumi was quiet until she gently nudged him, causing him to quietly murmur a 'hello' and bow. "Do you all live here as well?"

"That is correct," Nanami answered, bending down to shake the children's hands. "My name is Nanami Kento, this is Shoko Ieiri. We are co-workers of Gojou and (L/N). We look forward to seeing your growth."

"Stop being so proper, Nanami," Gojou clicked his tongue with a shake of his head. "They're kids, not business associates- ow, (M/N), stop elbowing me!"

(M/N) snickered and walked up to Nanami and the kids. "Nanami, dear, do you mind showing me and the kids to their rooms?" He asked.

"Hey, what about me?!" Satoru yelped, crossing his arms and pouting like a child. "I'm the higher-up here-!"

"You're actually needed for a mission, Satoru Gojou."

A voice that (M/N) hadn't heard in years spoke up - one that struck fear through his entire body. He slowly turned his head and saw Masamichi Yaga behind Gojou, staring down at him with a menacing aura. (M/N) panicked and picked up Tsumiki and Megumi, getting ready to speed off, when Yaga spoke again and forced the man's feet to remain glued to the ground. "And you, (L/N). We have a lot to discuss."

(M/N) nervously laughed and slowly turned around, holding both kids in his arms with ease. Megumi gaped at the way the man held him like a basket of laundry on his hip, as if he were light as a feather. "Principal Yaga! How wonderful to see you!" He greeted, smiling fakely. In all honesty, no curses were anywhere near as scary as Yaga was to him. Not in a terrifying monster way, but in a 'if I disappoint him I'm a complete failure' way. "How is your cursed corpse training going? With the cores? I'm sure you've had it come a long way-!"

Yaga hummed and crossed his arms. "He is doing well. His name is Panda - you'll meet him soon," he answered dryly. "Once the children are in bed and all of you are ready, meet in my office. We have a long discussion ahead of us. Gojou, come along, I have to give you your mission details," he ordered before turning and walking away.

"But Principal Yaga, what about (M/N) and the kids?!" Satoru whined, pouting once again. Yaga said nothing. "Crabby ass," he muttered. (M/N) giggled and waved him farewell, carrying Megumi and Tsumiki away while Nanami and Ijichi took their bags and Shoko walked off to her office. "Don't laugh at me, (M/N)!"

"You make it too easy, Satoru!" (M/N) shouted back with a shake of his head. Satoru groaned and followed Yaga, leaving (M/N) to turn to his group. "He really hasn't changed."

"Is Mr. Gojou your spouse, (M/N)?" Tsumiki asked innocently.

"Gross," Megumi spat, sticking his tongue out. (M/N) went red in the face, causing Ijichi to snicker and Nanami to grimace. "Don't tell me she's right, (L/N). That would be even more gross."

"God, no!" (M/N) panicked, shaking his head. He hoisted the two up on to his shoulders, causing them both to gasp and hold on to his (H/L) (H/C) hair tightly for support - not that he cared, he had children grab, pull, tug, and even cut off some of his hair before. "Gojou and I are childhood friends. I've never had a spouse, and don't see myself having one soon. Not when I'm so busy with little ones like you two!" He tried to change the topic, managing to tickle Megumi's leg. The little boy let out a soft giggle, but quickly got embarrassed and slapped a hand over his mouth.

"Don't say that, (L/N)," Ijichi remarked as they arrived to the hall with the two rooms Megumi and Tsumiki would be staying in; the rooms were right next to each other, just a few doors down from (M/N)'s and the other staff bedrooms. "You're quite attractive, both in terms of appearance and personality. You'll find someone."

(M/N) didn't reply, setting Megumi and Tsumiki down. Nanami helped them separate their bags, then carried their bags to their rooms for them. "You two start unpacking, we'll help out in a moment," Nanami said, and the two kids nodded and split to their rooms. He turned to (M/N) and Ijichi. "If (L/N) doesn't want a spouse, Ijichi, then he doesn't want one."

"It's just funny that you two have the same mindset," Ijichi mused. Before either man could detest, Ijichi got a mission alert and checked his phone. "I have to go run a curse report. Good luck, you two!"

He ran off, leaving (M/N) and Nanami alone. "So, you don't want a spouse either?" (M/N) chuckled, crossing his arms and glancing the man in front of him up and down once again. 'Crying shame, because damn, what a man he is,' he thought to himself.

Nanami shook his head and ran a hand through his hair with an exasperated sigh. "Not necessarily," he said. "I just don't have the time for it, nor have I found someone I truly have interest in yet."

(M/N) nodded in understanding. "Well, hopefully someone lucky will come along and catch your eye, Nanami," he said with a smile, playfully taking Nanami's spotted tie and wrapping it around his fist. He gently tugged him toward him and smirked at the way Nanami's eyes widened with surprise. "Wouldn't want a man like yourself to be lonely for life, hm?"

"(L/N), I-"

"Mr. (L/N)," Megumi piped up, poking his head out of his room. He looked between the two adults and cringed. "Yuck. Can you come help me? I can't reach the top shelf of the closet to put my stuff away."

"Of course!" (M/N) beamed, dropping Nanami's tie and waving him farewell. "I'll see you later, Nanami," he said in a flirty tone. He honestly meant good fun with his playful flirting, but seeing Nanami's attempts to quell his blush of embarrassment was just as fun and amusing.

He walked into Megumi's room and shut the door, while Nanami walked to the door of Tsumiki's and gently knocked on its frame. "Do you need any help, Tsumiki?" He asked politely. He wasn't exactly sure how to treat a child, seeing as he had been stuck around dorks like Gojou for the last few years and didn't have any younger siblings. 'Surely if I'm just polite and dull my honesty, they'll be fine,' he thought to himself.

Tsumiki smiled and nodded. "No thank you, Mr. Nanami. Your company would be nice though!" She answered sweetly, and Nanami hummed and nodded. He shut the door and sat on her bed, watching as she moved around to hang up clothes or put away items. As she worked, he decided to sneakily help anyway, folding some shirts for her dresser when she wasn't looking.

He knew adjusting to life would be difficult for the young girl, seeing as she was a non-sorcerer. Even if Tsumiki was able to hide her disbelief and fear, those feelings would always be there. "So, Tsumiki, what do you like to do?" He decided to ask.

"I like cooking and sewing," she answered as she stood on her tip-toes to put away some books on her bookshelf. "And reading Megumi bedtime stories. He always says he's too old for them, but loves them anyways," she giggled.

Nanami grimaced. 'Those are answers a mother would give, not a young child. Just how long were these children left to fend for themselves?' He worried. He shook his head. "Those are wonderful hobbies. Anything else?"
There was silence for a moment. Tsumiki shook her head, turning around with a sad look upon her face. Nanami hummed. "You know, I personally enjoy coloring," he decided to break the tension.

"Really?" She asked softly, looking up from her moving box. "But that's.."

"For children? I know," Nanami said as he stood up. He took some of the clothes he had folded and began putting them away for her. "But sometimes, even adults - or those with grown-up responsibilities - need to indulge in such activities. And you, child, seem to have forgotten that," he said with a slight up-turn of the corners of his lips.
Tsumiki stared at the man in wonder. He turned to her and pat her head. "When you finish unpacking, I can give you some of my unused coloring books. They consist mostly of patterns and simple designs, but we can go into the city and buy you more children's coloring books when we have time."

Tsumiki grinned and bowed. "I'd like that very much," she said happily. The two silently returned to work for a little bit, the only noise filling the room being the wind blowing past Tsumiki's window. Finally, she said, "So.. Mr. Nanami, what do you think of Mr. (M/N)?"

Nanami was surprised by the question. "He's a good person," he said. "Kind, work and care-orientated. He's my higher-up, so I respect him. Not to mention his sorcery his quite impressive," he added, thinking back to the first time he had met (M/N).

It was his first year at Jujutsu Tech, and the Kyoto Sister School Event was quickly approaching. Nanami and his friend, Haibara, were training together in the field. "Let's go again!" Haibara huffed after Nanami had managed to strike him down for the fourth consecutive time.

"Maybe you should train on your own a few more times before we go again, Haibara," Nanami advised as he fixed his hair, a small smirk of confidence on his lips.

"Hey! Got room for a few more?"

Nanami turned his head to see four students coming down the steps to the field. One was a girl with messy brown hair. Then, there was a boy with white hair and sunglasses, who stood between two other boys. One had a black bun and one with (H/C) hair and beautiful (E/C) eyes. The last one was the one that had called out to the first two years, a friendly smile on his face as he waved to them.

"Sure!" Haibara grinned. "Kento, have you met the second years yet?"

"No."

The second years all introduced themselves, including (M/N) (L/N). "I got a mission to run in a little bit after this, so do you guys mind if I go first?" He asked with a cheeky grin, arms crossed with confidence.

"Sure," Nanami said calmly, cracking his knuckles. "Apologies if I injure you. I'm still learning to control my technique."

Gojou chuckled. "I don't think you'll have to worry about that, young Nanamin," he said aloud. He whispered to Shoko, "Get the ice and gauze ready for him."

"Be nice, Satoru," both Getou and (M/N) chided, causing Satoru to pout.
(M/N) stretched a bit, then sighed and pulled out his kunai. "Let's make this quick."

"Kunai? Surely you don't mean to stab him, eh, (M/N)?" Getou asked with a small smirk. Him and (M/N) were getting along more, mostly picking on Gojou in their free time.

"Nah, just containing this so you guys don't suffer."

"Huh?" Nanami gaped, but he was caught off guard. (M/N) quickly shot his three kunai into a triangle around him and Nanami, then clapped his hands together. Nanami gripped his cleaver and began to ran at the second year. "I-"

"Innate Technique," (M/N) grinned, sparks starting to form and shoot through his hands and arms into the ground. "Web of Energy."

Let's just say Nanami had quite a shock in store for him.
Like my pun? Hehe.

When the smoke cleared and Nanami was somewhat conscious again, (M/N) cupped his cheek and smiled. "Nice fight, sweetheart," he said kindly. Nanami squinted at him with annoyance. "Next time, I'll let you in on a fair fight."

Nanami stared up at the older boy with agitated, but silently awed eyes. He felt warmth spreading from his (S/C) hand, a few jolts of electricity being shared between their touching skin. He huffed and pushed away the older's hand.

"We'll see about that, (L/N)."

"Mr. Nanami?"

Nanami snapped out of his trance and looked back at Tsumiki. She smiled and looked away, giggling mischievously. "You were spacing out," she pointed out. "I didn't think you'd put so much thought into what Mr. (L/N) is like."

Nanami clicked his tongue and nudged the girl playfully. "Don't make such comments, young lady," he scolded, already growing fond of her wit. "Let's finish this up quickly. I have business to attend to."

"Yes, sir."

Meanwhile, (M/N) was helping Megumi put away all his little knick-knacks. For being a child that lived in such poor conditions beforehand, he certainly did have a good amount of belongings that he had foraged for on his own. "My goodness, Megumi, there sure are a lot of books here," (M/N) mused, putting them all into the bookshelf near the child's bed.

"I know, but I really like them all- wait, that's not how they go," Megumi replied, jumping down from his bed and reaching for the shelf. He didn't reach, however, so he turned to (M/N). "Can you pick me up so I can fix this?" He asked.
(M/N) nodded and picked the child up, holding him out so that he could fix the books to his liking. While he did, (M/N) took notes in his mind about the child. Megumi was very specific about his organization - first, the books had to be from largest to smallest. Then, he'd assort them based on how nice one colored cover looked next to another. When he finished, (M/N) set him back down and watched as he ran to one of his boxes. "Can you.. help me with these?"

"Of course, my dear," (M/N) said, walking over to the box. "What do we have here? Snow globes?" He asked with a smile. Megumi excitedly nodded, taking one with a statue of a cherry blossom tree inside of it and gazing at it lovingly. "So, you like collecting things?"

"Mhm," Megumi hummed, starting to show (M/N) where to put each snow globe. "I collect a lot of stuff. I have another box with my rocks. They make me happy," he said quietly.

(M/N) smiled and replied, "I'm glad to hear that. Where'd you collect these snow globes?"

Megumi smiled. "The zoo. I'd go on the admission deal days with.. my dad," he trailed off. (M/N) stiffened up a bit and looked down at the boy, suddenly feeling himself become a lot more cautious with the items he was placing. "I don't remember him much. I know he wasn't the best or nicest guy, but he'd always take me on deal days to the zoo. He'd lift me on his shoulders to see into the exhibits, then take me to the food court to buy a funnel cake, and then.. then the gift shop to buy a stuffie or snow globe. Both if he had enough money."
(M/N) was quiet as he gently rubbed Megumi's back. The little boy looked up at him and asked, in a soft, sad voice, "How'd you even know him? And did he.. say anything about me..?"

(M/N) finished putting up the last snow globe on the shelf, then bent down to Megumi's level. "I knew your dad because he was a close friend of mine when I was going through a rough time," he answered. "I even got to hang out with him the day your mom and him got married!" He added.
Megumi smiled a little, but it quickly dropped. (M/N) lowered his voice and cupped Megumi's face, glad that he didn't flinch or move away. The little boy looked at him with glistening eyes of tears, and (M/N) sadly smiled. "Your dad said you were a good kid, Megumi. You were his blessing, no matter what," he said softly.

Megumi's eyes widened and the tears finally began to fall. His lips curled up and he began to cry, then tried to hide his face. "Y-Yuck..!" He weeped, vigorously wiping the tears away. But, to no avail - they'd just keep streaming. "Why do I even care..? He- he left me..!"

(M/N) quickly, but gently, hugged the boy, making sure to rub his head and back to calm him down. "I know, Megumi," he whispered. "I know it's very overwhelming, losing him and moving there and everything. It's going to take a while for you to adjust. There's going to be days you hate your dad for leaving, or hate us for not being like him. But I promise you, it'll be okay," he reassured him, gently carrying him to the bed and holding him in the most loving touch he could provide.

Megumi nodded between sniffles, hiding his face in (M/N)'s shoulder. "I just want him to take me to- to buy more stuffies and snow- snow globes," he softly whimpered, wiping his eyes again.

"We'll go buy you more stuffies and snow globes soon, okay?" (M/N) said with a chuckle, gently pulling the boy back to look at him. "We have to finish unpacking the ones you already have first, okay?"

Megumi nodded. (M/N) gave him a moment to catch his breath and clean off his face before he spoke again. "Thank you, (M/N)," he finally said, leaning against the man's (S/C) arm. "I like you more than those other weird looking people.." he mumbled, his voice beginning to sound sleepy and tired.

(M/N) chuckled and pat his head. "Megumi, be kind. Those other weird people want to help you too, okay?" He said. Megumi nodded, rubbing his eyes. "C'mon, let's finish cleaning this so we can get you ready for bed."

"Okay.. can I get an animal bed time story too?"

"Of course, dear."

~ ♡︎ ~

luctor et emergo: i struggle but i emerge

as someone who's had an absent/in-and-out father their own life, let me just say i cried a lil bit writing that megumi scene lol
anyways, nanami development, wooooo
we just need them to make out now-
jkjk
unless......
hehe

until next time ♡︎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.1K 1.7K 56
Tsukki falls for his chaotic Black friend. That's it. Okay real summary: Kanai Athena came to Japan when she was in middle school. After transferring...
14K 632 26
"What else are you hiding from me?" "Y-your highness" "Answer me!" *** You're born a girl but forced to cover as a boy your entire life. One fateful...
75.2K 2.4K 21
Y/n is a new student at the Tokyo Institute of Technology who aims to earn a degree in electrical engineering. She recently moved to Japan from a sma...
34.6K 1K 27
"𝐈 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧," 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝. "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐨. 𝐈'𝐦 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭'...