Façades [A Zuko x OC Story]

By secretsnooze

Li Mei is put in a tough spot when she is reintroduced to an old childhood friend. Having to constantly choos... More

A Small Note
Prologue
1 - The Avatar Returns
2 - Meeting an Old Friend
3 - An Unexpected Truce
4 - Painful Memories
5 - Training Days
6 - Untold Stories
7 - Dancing Dragon
8 - A Beautiful View
9 - The Sniffer Mole
10 - Firebending
11 - Disrespect to Ancient Cultures
12 - Confrontation
13 - Reunion
14 - The Moon Spirit
15 - Home Sweet Home
16 - An Unexpected Guest
17 - Troubles of the Heart
18 - A Journey to the Walled City
19 - A New Found Home
20 - The Tales of Ba Sing Se
21 - Appa
22 - A Conflict of Emotions
23 - Change
24 - A Sense of Betrayal
25 - Welcome Home, Li Mei
26 - Li Mei Alone
27 - Ember Island
28 - A Special Visit
29 - The Great Escape
31 - Dancing Dragon... Again
32 - Prison Break
33 - Forgiveness
34 - A Field Trip with Li Mei
35 - The Ember Island Players
36 - Nightmares
37 - The Avatar is Lost
38 - Reclaiming Ba Sing Se
39 - The Fire Lord's Coronation
Epilogue
Parting Words

30 - Rekindling

351 9 0
By secretsnooze

"This is humiliating." Katara groans as we trudge through the blistering hot and dry land.

"You mean getting thoroughly spanked by the Fire Nation or having to walk all the way to the Western Air Temple?" Sokka responds.

"Both."

I kick small rocks and pebbles to distract myself from the blistering heat beaming down on our backs.

"Sorry guys, but Appa gets tired carrying all these people." Aang apologizes on behalf of the sky bison.

"I wonder how the rest of the troops are." Teo - the boy I had met at the Northern Air Temple - thinks aloud.

"They're probably on their way to a prison. Seems like my dad just got out and now he's going back in." Replies a boy who I now know as Haru.

"I miss Pipsqueak." The small boy named The Duke comments from behind me.

"I miss not having blisters on my feet." Sokka complains. I look over my shoulder at him, "I second that."

Suddenly Toph stomps down on the ground, "Hey, we're here! I can feel it!" I look around at the area, but the only thing in front of us is a large cliff.

"Uhhh ... I think your feet need their eyes checked." Katara takes the words out of my mouth.

"No, she's right. We are here!" Aang adds. I step closer to the edge and peer down into the fog-filled chasm.

"Wow... It's amazing." Toph gawks.

"Looks really cool," I say sarcastically which makes Sokka snicker.

-

The group of us climb onto Appa's back and he flies us down into the large cavern. My eyes widen once I see the upside-down Air Temples hanging off the cliff, "It's beautiful." I gape. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a flash of red before it disappears behind one of the structures. Probably just a trick of the eye.

I hop off of Appa's back and land on the concrete surface of the temple.

"It's so different from the Northern Air Temple. I wonder if there are any secret rooms." Teo's eyes trace the structure.

"Let's go check it out!" Haru says excitedly. The Duke and Teo follow after him. Aang attempts to follow but Katara stops him, "You guys go. I think we need to talk about some things." She says. The group of boys go running off.

"Why can't I go?" Aang whines.

"We need to decide what we're gonna do now, and since you're the Avatar, maybe you should be a part of this," Katara says as I join the group sitting down on some rubble.

"Fair enough. So, what's the new plan?" The young Avatar asks.

"Well, if you ask me, the new plan is the old plan! You just need to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before the comet comes." Sokka answers.

"Oh, yeah. That's great, no problem. I'll just do that." Aang retorts sarcastically.

"Aang, no one said it's going to be easy." Katara soothes.

"Well, it's not even gonna be possible! Where am I supposed to get a firebending teacher?" After Aang asks his question everyone's heads except for Toph turn to me, "No. No, no, no, no no!" I wave my hands, "We've been here before... And it didn't work."

"We could look for Jeong Jeong!" Katara suggests.

"Yeah ... right." Aang lays down, "Like we'll ever run into Jeong Jeong again."

The memory of the flash of red I saw earlier comes to my mind. It can't be. What Iroh said to me surfaces.

Remember what's important.

Aang and I stand at the same time, "You okay, Li?" Sokka asks.

"Fine." I sit back down.

"Oh well, guess we can't come up with anybody. Why don't we just take a nice tour around the temple?" Aang jumps onto his glider and flies off with Momo.

"I'm going to go exploring too." I lie. I stand up and head off in the direction of where I saw the flash of red. I really hope I'm wrong about this.

-

I climb a long staircase that leads up to the surface. A large forest rests there. I sigh deeply and walk into the group of trees. The deeper I walk the more lost I get until... A voice. An all too familiar voice. I follow the sound until he comes into my field of view.

I tuck myself behind a tree and listen to what he is saying, "I'm good now. I mean, I thought I was good before, but I realize I was bad," He clearly stumbles over his words, "But anyway, I think it's time I joined your group and taught the Avatar firebending."

There is a croak of a frog in reply, "Well, what's your answer?" He says angrily. The frog croaks again, "Yeah ... that's what I'd say, too. How am I supposed to convince these people that I'm on their side? What would Uncle do?" He starts to impersonate Iroh, "Zuko, you have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other-self. Only then will your true self, reveal itself." I have to try to hold back a laugh.

"Even when I'm talking for him I can't figure out what he means. What would Azula do?" He then starts to impersonate his sister, "Listen, Avatar, I can join your group, or I can do something unspeakably horrible to you and your friends. Your choice." He groans. I almost reveal myself but he starts talking again, "What would Li say?" My breath catches in my throat.

"I've changed, really I have. And I think you should let me help you because if you don't, you have no hope of mastering firebending." He mimics my voice, "I really want to help you." He bursts with rage, "She doesn't sound like that at all!"

"You're right." He whips his head around to look at me, "I don't sound like that." I cross my arms across my chest as I lean against a tree.

"Li Mei." His face pales.

"Hello, Zuko." I step closer to him, "They're not going to listen to you... Or trust you for that matter." My voice turns cold.

"Li I-"

"You know, it hurt me so bad when you turned me over to the Fire Nation... But Iroh said something to me... And it made me realize what the right thing to do is." I try to smile without it looking fake, "I forgive you."

"Do you real-"

"No. I don't." I drop my smile, "How could I forgive you that quickly? But Aang desperately needs a firebending teacher. And you're the only choice available. If you try anything-" I point a finger in his face, "I won't hesitate to throw you over the edge of the air temple." I turn on my heel and start to walk away, "Are you coming?" I look over my shoulder. His eyes widen and he scurries after me.

-

"Looks like they're busy flying around," Zuko observes as we reach the temple. I look up to see Aang flying on his glider and the rest ride on Appa.

The two of us walk to the main structure and wait for the rest of the group to land in awkward silence.

"I really am sorry," Zuko speaks up.

"And I really don't want to hear it." I grumble, "I'm not going to forgive you. So, just drop it." I kick around the rubble at my feet.

"Why are you looking at me with that expression?"

"What expression?"

"The one that makes you look like you're watching a dying animal."

"I pity you... For being stupid enough to think I would put everything behind us." I look up at him.

"Oh... Right." He mumbles.

Appa comes soaring down and lands on the structure in front of the two of us.

"Oh, you're gonna love the all-day echo chamber!" Aang says excitedly.

"I think that'll have to wait." Toph comments. Appa moves out of the way and clears our view of Team Avatar.

"Hello ... Zuko here." Zuko raises his arm in an awkward wave. Aang and the gang get into a fighting stance, I sink my face into my hand at his strange greeting.

"Hey, we heard you guys flying around down there," Zuko gestures to himself and me, "So, we just thought we'd wait for you here." Appa growls loudly and then licks Zuko's face, "I know you must be surprised to see me here."

"Not really, since you've followed us all over the world." Sokka retorts.

"Right. Well, uh ... Anyway ... What I wanted to tell you about is that I've changed, and I, uh, I'm good now, and well I think I should join your group, oh, and I can teach firebending to you." Zuko looks at me with a panicked expression.

"You guys should just give him a chance." I try to defend the awkward prince.

"Li, what are you talking about? How could any of us possibly trust him?" Katara snaps.

"I don't expect you to. Aang needs a firebending teacher and Zuko's volunteering to do so. We have no other options. I hate it more than all of you combined. But that isn't going to stop me from seizing a good opportunity." I reason.

"All he's ever done is hunt us down and try to capture Aang!" Sokka yells in response.

"I've done some good things! I mean, I could have stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something!" Appa licks Zuko again.

"Appa does seem to like him." Toph comments.

"He probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him. I'm not buying it." Sokka says.

"I can understand why you wouldn't trust me, and I know I've made some mistakes in the past."

"Some?" I look at him with confusion.

"Like when you attacked our village?" Sokka adds.

"Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us?" Katara cuts in.

"Look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I attacked the Water Tribe. And I never should have sent that Fire Nation assassin after you." The group's eyes widen, "I'm going to try and stop-"

"Wait, you sent Combustion Man after us?" Sokka pulls out his boomerang.

"Well, that's not his name, but-"

"Ohhh, sorry. I didn't mean to insult your friend!" Sokka says dripping with sarcasm.

"He's not my friend!" Zuko shouts.

"That guy locked me and Katara in jail and tried to blow us all up!" Toph puts in her two cents' worth.

"Why aren't you saying anything? You once said you thought we could be friends. You know I have good in me." The prince directs at Aang. The boy looks up at him, "There's no way we can trust you after everything you've done. We'll never let you join us."

"You need to get out of here. Now." Katara orders.

"I'm trying to explain that I'm not that person anymore!"

"Either you leave, or we attack," Sokka warns.

"If you won't accept me as a friend, then maybe you'll take me as a prisoner." Zuko kneels down and raises his arms.

"No, we won't!" Katara sends a blast of water at him and he almost knocks right into me, "Get out of here, and don't come back! And if we ever see you again, well, we'd better not see you again!" Zuko scrambles up and looks at me. I look between him and Team Avatar.

"What are you doing Li?" Sokka asks. I shake my head and walk over to the group. I watch as Zuko walks back in the direction of his camp. I keep my eyes on his back until someone pulls on my sleeve. I turn around and see Katara, "Come on, Li Mei." I nod my head and finally pull my gaze away from Zuko.

-

"Why would he try to fool us like that?" Katara paces back and forth.

"Obviously he wants to lead us into some kind of trap," Sokka adds.

"Actually-" I start to talk, but get interrupted by Katara, "This is just like when we were in prison together at Ba Sing Se. He starts talking about his mother and making it seem like he's an actual human being with feelings."

"He wants you to trust and feel sorry for him so you let your guard down, then he strikes."

"No, he-" I start again.

"The thing is, it worked. I did feel sorry for him. I felt like he was really confused and hurt, but obviously, when the time came, he made his choice, and we paid the price. We can't trust him."

"Quiet!" I yell and the four of them look at me with wide eyes, "I know that he's done bad things to you in the past, okay. But when somebody offers to be your prisoner just to teach Aang firebending... You should take up that offer."

"I thought you hated him." Sokka points his boomerang at me.

"I never said I didn't... I'm simply saying it's a good idea to take up his offer. You can do whatever you want to him after he teaches Aang the basics of firebending."

"Why were you with him?" Katara questions. I remain silent, "That's where you went earlier!" She points an accusing finger at me.

"Yes." I raise my arms in defence, "I saw him when we first arrived... I wanted to know why he was here... So, I went and talked to him."

"And he convinced you to be in on his evil plan?" Sokka gasps, "Can we even trust you?" He leans in close to my face. I push him away from me, "No, there is no 'evil plan'... I told him it would be a good idea to teach Aang firebending." I lean against one of the large pillars.

"Why?" Aang questions.

"I get that you don't like him - I don't either... But, I don't see any other firebenders around here jumping at the opportunity to teach you. It doesn't matter if you enjoy his company or not."

Aang turns away from the group, "I kind of have a confession to make. Remember when you two were sick and I got captured by Zhao?" I look at the others who clearly seem to know what he's talking about.

"And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget? I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!" Katara shakes her head, "Sokka, I looked at it, and I told you, there was nothing there!"

"I could feel it! It's my throatal flap!" Her brother complains.

"Anyway, when Zhao had me chained up, it was Zuko who came in and got me out. He risked his life to save me." Aang continues his story.

"No way! I'm sure he only did it so he could capture you himself!" Katara replies.

"Yeah, face it Aang, you're nothing but a big prize to him," Sokka adds.

"You're probably right."

"And what was all that crazy stuff about setting Appa free? What a liar!" Katara says.

"Actually..." I clear my throat, "He wasn't lying about that. I was there."

"Oh, hooray! In a lifetime of evil, at least he didn't add animal cruelty to the list." Sokka says sarcastically.

"Considering his messed-up family and how he was raised, he could have turned out a lot worse." Toph finally speaks up.

"You're right, Toph! Let's go find him and give him a medal. The 'not as much of a jerk as you could have been' award!" Katara gestures dramatically.

"Just give him this chance, Katara. You don't have to be nice to him. Just let him help and then we can all be done with him for good. " I say with caution to not anger the girl any further.

"You gave him a chance, and where did that get you?" She retorts, "A Fire Nation prison! We can't trust him!"

"Aang needs a firebending teacher, Katara!" I shout, "And he's our only option! I would much rather trust Zuko this one time than burn to death in Ozai's flames when the comet arrives."

"Well maybe if you could get your act together, you could teach him!" She yells back.

"Is that what you really think?" I spit. She scowls at me, "I know when I'm not wanted." I turn away from the four of them and march off into the sunset.

-

"You have room for another camper?" I approach Zuko's camp. He jumps up and sends a blast of fire at me, "Who's there!?"

I dodge the fireball and charge at him, tackling him to the ground, "Me." I smirk down at him as he frowns.

"Don't do that!" He pushes me off of himself, "What are you doing here?"

"I got kicked out of the group for trying to convince them to trust you." I sit down next to his fire and he sits across from me.

"You don't have to defend me... I could've handled it."

"Is confessing that you sent an assassin after them, your way of 'handling it'" I poke the fire with a stick, avoiding his gaze, "Aang needs a teacher now and you're willing to do it."

"They're right though. I've done so many horrible things to them. Why Should they trust me?"

"They shouldn't." I say, "They have no reason to trust you, but once again I must say... You are our only option."

"I've done the worst things to you! Why are you trusting me!?" Zuko stands and the fire rises.

"I know you better than any of them. You're an awful liar. If you truly didn't want to help; I would be able to tell."

He sits back down, "Even after everything?"

"The events of the past aren't going to cloud my judgement. At this moment I would rather listen to my brain than my heart." I stare into his eyes as the flames dance in their reflection, "I hate you." I confess honestly, "More than I hate anyone in this world. Yet, time is running out before the comet arrives. Aang needs to learn firebending now or we have a zero percent chance of winning. Is that clear?"

"Yeah..." Zuko slumps his head down.

"I'm going to sleep. Try to resist killing me, would you? It will make me look bad for trusting you."

"I would never hurt you, Li Mei."

"Is that so? I guess emotional damage doesn't count to you. Because I would say that throwing me in prison and betraying me definitely counts as hurting me." I lift up my scarred arm, "Did you forget about this too?"

"I'm sorry," Zuko says just above a whisper.

"I know you are. And you can do everything in your power to make me believe that. But

I never will." A twig snaps behind me and the two of us stand defensively, interrupting our moment.

"Stay back!" Zuko whips a flame in the direction of the sound.

"It's me!" I hear Toph's voice cry out as a stone structure juts out of the ground, "Ow! You burned my feet!" She exclaims and falls to the ground.

"I'm sorry, it was a mistake!" Zuko steps towards her and she starts to crawl away, "Get away from me!" She throws several rocks at myself and Zuko as we try to help her.

"Toph, let me help you!" I say while trying to stop her movement.

"Get off me, get off me!" She squirms and sends a chunk of earth into me and Zuko, sending us back.

"I didn't know it was you! Uggh, come back!" Zuko groans, "Why am I so bad at being good?" He runs his hands through his hair and flops onto the ground.

"Because you were never meant to be good." I walk over to his makeshift tent and lay down on the dirt. I hear Zuko lay down next to me a few feet away.

-

The bright sunlight beams down on me when I open my eyes. I sit up and rub my sore neck. I glance next to me and notice that where Zuko once lay is now empty. I look around the campsite but he is nowhere to be seen.

"Zuko?" I call out into the woods in hopes that he is close enough to hear me. There is no response. I look closer at the campsite and notice a small pile of berries on a leaf. Either this is for me or he's trying to poison thieves.

I look at the berries and decide to leave them. I'm not taking my chances with them. There is a very high possibility that he is trying to poison me and I don't want to test that theory.

When I get close to the air temple I hear the sound of explosions. I start to sprint, "Aang! Sokka!" I call out and when the temple comes into sight I can see the cause of the sound. Large explosions go off inside the air temple from a man standing on a higher structure.

I skip down the stairs and run towards team Avatar. I slide at the last second to avoid a blast and I tuck myself behind a large column. The column next to me gets blasted away and my breath catches in my throat. I look over to the next column which seems just close enough for me to reach it without getting hit.

I take a deep breath and leap across the gap just as the pillar my back just rested on goes up in smoke. One more explosive sound rings in the air and I brace myself for death, but it never comes. I peak around the column to see the smoke rising from where the combustion bender once stood. I sigh deeply and lie on the ground.

Once my shock has worn off, I jog over to the group, "Are you guys alright?"

"Li!" Katara jumps up and hugs me so tight my arms get pinned to my sides.

"Woah, okay." I awkwardly pat her on the back with the little movement my arms can make.

"I'm so sorry." She pushes me back and grips my shoulders, "I shouldn't have said what I did."

"Hey. It's okay." I smile, "No hard feelings... We were just caught up in the moment and were saying things we didn't mean." I look around the area before asking, "Is Zuko here?" The group looks over to the ledge where the combustion bender once stood. Zuko swings over the edge, holding a vine. I shake my head.

-

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... Thanks, Zuko," Aang says once Zuko approaches the five of us.

"Hey, what about me? I did the boomerang thing." Sokka protests and I hit him in the arm to shut him up.

"Listen, I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday, I've been through a lot in the last few years, and it's been hard. But I'm realizing that I had to go through all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honour, and that somehow my father could return it to me. But I know now that no one can give you your honour. It's something you earn for yourself, by choosing to do what's right. All I want to do now is play my part in ending this war, and I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world."

Zuko looks to Toph, "I'm sorry for what I did to you." He bows, "It was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild, so as a firebender, I need to be more careful and control my bending, so I don't hurt people unintentionally."

"I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher. When I first tried to learn firebending, I burned Katara, and after that, I never wanted to firebend again. But now I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love. I'd like you to teach me." Aang bows to Zuko.

"Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group." Zuko grins.

"Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them." Aang looks at Toph, "Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned. What do you think?"

"Go ahead and let him join." She hits her fist into her palm, "It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet."

"Sokka?"

"Hey, all I want is to defeat the Fire Lord. If you think this is the way to do it, then, I'm all for it." He shrugs.

"Katara?"

"I'll go along with whatever you think is right."

"Li?" Aang looks at me.

"I get a say in this?"

"You are a part of our team."

I touch my hand to my heart, "I'm so honoured." I look at Zuko and he stares at me with hope in his eyes, "Seeing how I was trying to convince you to trust him just yesterday... It would be pretty stupid if I said no now. So, yes... He has my approval to join."

"I won't let you down! I promise!" Zuko walks closer as the rest of the group walks off.

"Get used to being ignored around here." I pat his shoulder before following everyone else.

-

Zuko follows Sokka to his new room and I sit down next to Katara, "I thought you hated him." Katara says.

"I do."

"Then why do you still seem so friendly with him?"

"Am I? Trust me, Katara." I touch her shoulder, "I have nothing but resentment towards Zuko."

"You let him join, that doesn't seem like resentment to me." She stands up, "Sorry, Li. I need some time alone." She walks off.

After a few minutes, she returns but she just stomps right past me with a very angry face. I stand up and head to where she came from. I walk down the hall and pop my head into Zuko's room, "Did Katara just yell at you?"

He whips around, "No..." He looks down at the floor, " Yes."

"Don't let her get on your nerves. She did the same thing to me when I first joined the group." I lean against his doorframe, "All she would do was pick on me for every little thing... But she got over it after we got into a huge fight."

"I don't want to fight with her." He sits down on his bed.

"I didn't either... You just have to find a way to get through to her. For me, that was a fight... It might be different for you."

"Why are you helping me?"

"I'm not. I'm making sure you don't tear the group apart from the inside." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 180 8
~Continues the last book~ Honna and Zuko flee the Northern Water Tribe, but Honna battles with doubts about capturing the Avatar. Will she continue t...
222K 7.8K 16
Azula and Zuko have always been competitive with each other. When it comes to Uzume, it's no different. - starts in Book 2: Earth zuko x fem!oc sligh...
677K 33.5K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
11.5K 619 20
In the canvas of life, our stories unfolded like 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐋 𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒, close yet never destined to meet. : ̗̀➛ 𝐒𝐎𝐋𝐎 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 CW: Mentions...