A Couple of Trials (ZeLink)

By Kenlair

Book 2: The Couple Series **Slightly More Mature** After having defeated the Calamity and reliving the hars... More

Chapter 1: Another Morning, Another Nightmare
Chapter 2: The Inessential Princess
Chapter 4: Late Night Insecurities
Chapter 5: Meeting with the Mayor
Chapter 6: Weighing Options
Chapter 7: A Task from Purah
Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer
Chapter 9: A Little Chat with Prima
Chapter 10: Shopping Day
Chapter 11: First Day on the Job
Chapter 12: A Simple Test Ride
Chapter 13: Resting Unassured
Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done
Chapter 15: A Twisted Confrontation
Chapter 16: The Balancing Act
Chapter 17: Late Night Practice
Chapter 18: The Weekly Drunken Splurge
Chapter 19: Wallowing in Humiliation
Chapter 20: The Second Serving
Chapter 21: An Irrational Concern
Chapter 22: The Great Snowball Fight
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Façade
Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields
Chapter 25: A Passionate Traveler
Chapter 26: The Alluring Maid
Chapter 27: The Sick Princess
Chapter 28: A Familiar Face
Chapter 29: The Altercation
Chapter 30: So Close
Chapter 31: A Stubborn Realization
Chapter 32: Celebration Preparation
Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy
Chapter 34: Old Habits
Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight
Chapter 36: The Freezing Point
Chapter 37: Snowed In
Chapter 38: A Challenging Toast
Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization
Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety
Chapter 41: The Royal Beating
Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red
Chapter 43: The Homestead Struggle
Chapter 44: Dire Moments
Chapter 45: Being Better
Chapter 46: The Thread of Life
Chapter 47: Betting on Hope
Chapter 48: Cotera's Blessing
Chapter 49: Making Amends
Chapter 50: Coming to Terms
Chapter 51: The Desire to Heal
Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment
Chapter 53: Mending Connections
Chapter 54: Two Decisions, One Goal
Chapter 55: Personal Journeys Begin
Chapter 56: An Advisor's Heartening
Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities
Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko
Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety
Chapter 60: Welcome to Lurelin
Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing
Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment
Chapter 63: The Precious Ceremony
Chapter 64: A Wish of Luck
Chapter 65: The Trial of the Sword
Chapter 66: An Evening Serenade
Chapter 67: Dealing with the Financial Elite
Chapter 68: An Unrequited Adoration
Chapter 69: The Misty Castle
Chapter 70: The Teachings of Twilight
Chapter 71: The Rumor Mill
Chapter 72: Royal Formalities
Chapter 73: Truth of the Matter
Chapter 74: The Perch of Tabantha
Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard
Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before

Chapter 3: An Uneasy Restlessness

2.2K 55 59
By Kenlair

Zelda listened to the snow crunching beneath her feet as she walked down the winding path away from the Hateno Tech Lab. With the note Robbie had sent her now unfolded, she read as she tried to pay attention as best she could to what was in front of her. It was just as Teli said: Robbie was concerned about what came next, just as Purah was. After rereading the note multiple times, she sighed, folded the paper back up, and tucked it inside her coat before looking out, over the village.

The air had grown colder as snow continued to fall from the gray clouds above. As the roofs of the village houses turned white, smoke began billowing from the crooked chimneys in an effort by those living inside to warm themselves. As Zelda walked back into Hateno, she could see that most of the shops remained open, yet those who would usually be outside sweeping or signaling travelers to visit chose to stay nice and cozy inside their shop's walls. While most villagers stayed inside, a few groups stayed out in the cold. Two women stood talking near a water well on the side of the road with baskets of clothes in their hands, attempting to finish the washing before the water could freeze up again. In the middle of the road was a group of small children running around as if the sun were shining brightly down upon them.

Zelda stopped, stepping over to the edge of the road to let the kids—who hadn't noticed her presence—continue to run around and play. They were bundled up in heavy leathers, which they refused to let slow them down. She watched as they threw snowballs at each other, laughing and yelling as they darted around the road. She smiled in a bittersweet sort of way as she looked on, trying to remember a time she'd been able to run in the snow, yet no memory came. Just as her eyes began to gloss over, they grew wide before she ducked.

As if an unknown force were trying to distract her from the depressing thoughts, a snowball had come flying her way. As the snowball slammed against a building behind her, she looked back to see its remains sliding down. She sighed in relief, grateful it hadn't hit her in the face where it had come flying towards; however, the laughing and cheering of the children had vanished. Confused, she looked back towards the road, only to see that each of the children had stopped, each of their faces now filled with terror.

"A-are you...?" one of the children asked.

"It is! She's the one with the golden hair and nice clothes!" another child called out.

"W-we're sorry, Miss Princess," a kid with glasses said in a nervous bow. "We didn't mean to almost hit you."

"Huh? What?" Zelda asked as all the children bowed their heads, shaking with fear.

"Please don't use your scary power on us..." another child said.

"Scary power?" Zelda repeated. "I-I would never! It's okay, really!"

"W-we're sorry!" all the children called out before turning away from her.

"W-wait, it's okay!" she called out to them; however, all the children had already dashed away in fear. "Wait... I wouldn't..."

"There she goes, scaring all the children," an older distant voice said.

Zelda's ears pricked up, but she refused to turn around. She knew who stood behind her: two older women attempting to wash their clothes. The well wasn't far from where she stood, and while their tones were still somewhat hushed, she could make out every word the ladies spoke.

"Their parents must have warned them about her," the other lady said.

"Good. I've warned my child to stay away from her," said the first lady. "To think someone like her would come to this village and lie about who she was. She's dangerous. I heard she could never control that power of hers. They say she tried her whole life and failed in the end."

"Are we even positive she's the princess? Look how young she is!" the second lady questioned. "I wish I had skin like hers. They expect us to believe she's the princess? From one hundred years ago?"

"Those old cucco elders swear on the Goddess it's her," the first lady said in disbelief. "They seem perfectly content with her being around, but they live in the past. This is a new era. She's been quiet this past week, but I'm sure she'll want to make some changes to this place. She'll want to control us even though we've been fine without her royal guidance."

"She hasn't moved from that spot. Do you think she's listening to us?" the second lady asked.

"If she is, then she's just as rude as that lover of hers," the first lady said.

Zelda lowered her head before beginning to walk back down the road, passing the ladies without a glance.

"Exactly," the first lady continued, watching as she passed. "Just as rude."

Zelda continued to walk, doing her best to block out whatever remaining whispers she could hear. She arrived at a fork in the road and turned up the one that headed towards the mountainside. After passing a few box-shaped houses, she stopped, looked up, and smiled with relief. She had arrived home.

In front of her was a crudely built bridge that connected two cliffsides, on the other side of which stood a house. It was an older home, just like the ones in the rest of Hateno,, however, witha few modifications. It had the same crooked chimney mortar falling off to reveal its brick layer, and a wooden shed in the back that connected to the home. Next to the house was a makeshift stable that could hold two horses, and was currently home to a chestnut mare and a pure white stallion. The rest of the wide cliff was a nice patch of land, where trees stood tall and snow covered the usual grassy plains. One of the trees was an apple, which still had fruit dangling from the branches in a fenced-off backyard. Another tree, even older than the apple, had a deep pond at its roots, where Zelda and her lover would regularly bathe.

While it wasn't a tall, elegantly furnished castle nor an expertly carved sandstone palace, this was home. This was Zelda's home, and even though she had been somewhat anxious about returning to the one inside, after her recent encounter with the children and older ladies, she wanted nothing more than to go inside and see the person she had left behind to wait for her. She took a deep, rigid breath before walking across the bridge while wiping her eyes of any frozen tears that may have built up.

"Hello, Epona. Hello, Storm," she said as she stopped to greet the horses in the stables.

Instinctively, she reached her hand out for the pure white horse she claimed as her own. The horse, however, shook its muzzle before her fingers could reach it. A bit startled, Zelda retracted her hand, yet she didn't feel surprised by the rejection.

"Still not too fond of me?" she asked as the horse blew air through its nose. "You're just like your ancestor. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, you know..."

Slowly, Zelda reached down for the Sheikah Slate at her hip before giving it a little tug. She lifted it before tapping a few times on its screen.

"'Be sure to take the time to soothe your mount,'" she said as she gave a final tap. In a growing ball of blue strands of light, an apple appeared in her hand. "'That's the only way it will know how you truly feel.' There, there..."

Slowly, Zelda held the apple out to Storm, who gave it a sniff before gently taking it into his mouth. She chuckled as she watched him chew before attempting to stroke his muzzle again. This time, he did not refuse. She smiled as she stroked his white hair.

"I guess I'm getting better at dealing with horses. Much easier than sand seals," she said before an image of the bowing children flashed through her mind. "Though, I do wonder if I've truly grown more empathetic."

Next to them, Epona shook her mane violently.

"Do you believe I have, Epona?" Zelda asked, a bit startled by the horse's sudden movement.

Epona blew air through her nose.

"Well, I appreciate that," Zelda said.

With a free hand, Zelda put the Sheikah Slate back on her hip before reaching out to pet her. Epona stepped away.

"You too?" she asked dejectedly. "Now I know you and I should be on good terms. Is it Link's new ride you're worried about? The Master Cycle?"

Epona shook her mane again.

"Oh, Epona," Zelda said with a giggle. "I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. He wouldn't give you up. Every now and then, I'm almost positive he loves you more than even me."

Again, Epona shook her mane.

"Okay, fine," she said reluctantly. "A little more than every now and then. Does that suffice?"

Zelda reached her hand out again, and this time, her palm rested upon the brown horse's neck. She smiled.

"That's a good girl," she said as she stroked both Storm and Epona. "By the three goddesses, I'm having conversations with horses... He's really started to influence me."

After a few final pats, Zelda pulled away before walking back into the home.

"Hello?" she called out as she closed the door behind her. "Link, I'm home! Are you here?"

She paused, awaiting an answer, yet nothing came. With furrowed eyes, she began to look around. The house was as she left it. A simple dining table sat in the center of the room, decorated with a set of plates, a vase full of flowers, and a rug underneath the table's legs that covered the wooden floorboards beneath it. Pushed against the walls were a bookshelf, aside table, a cupboard, and a wall shelf filled with bottles, pots, and wooden cooking utensils. What attracted the most attention, however, were the weapon racks lined up against the rest of the walls.

Slowly, Zelda walked around the table, dragging her fingers against the wood before standing in front of the walls at the back of the room. On the wall to her left were three bow racks. While two of the racks were filled with simple wooden bows, ones that looked as though they could fall apart at any moment, the third that sat in the center was different. It was a large heavy bow, pained in deep grays and yellows, with a bright blue cloth tied around its top. To her right was a line of shield racks, where a large metal shield with a faded red emblem and a black shield with a burgundy emblem glimmered. In between them was a large circular shield, painted red, green, and gold, that perfectly accented the colorful jewels decorating its surface. Finally, on the center wall that faced Zelda's front, three weapons hung from their item frames. One was an elegantly crafted trident, with jewels hanging from its fork and its design of many twists and curves that created a work of art. To its side hung a large sword, though it was so large and thick it was practically a club. On the furthest end hung a bold-looking scimitar, with a deep golden hilt and a large, thick curved edge.

Zelda's gaze lingered on the scimitar before reaching out, using her sleeve to clean its handle of any smudges she noticed. After ensuring she could see her reflection clearly in its gold, she took a few steps back before sitting in one of the dining table chairs.

"He wouldn't have ventured off into the wild without some kind of weapon," Zelda said quietly, though she continued to stare at the scimitar. "At least I hope not..."

She sat quietly for a moment, twiddling her thumbs before continuing.

"Am... Am I making the right choice?" she whispered towards the scimitar. "I want him to rest. I do... But..."

Zelda sighed before looking down at her clasped hands.

"You're not here to give me the answer or even guide me in the right direction, for that matter," she said. "I can't feel your presence at all anymore. I never even recognized it was around when I was freed from the castle. You're really gone this time. For good."

With a deep breath, she stood from her chair and made her way up the stairs. She stopped in front of the bed and began to unclasp her fluffy shoulder cape before unbuttoning her long coat. Expecting not to go back out for the rest of the day, she sat on the bed and pulled off the fur-lined, calf-high boots she had on. Resting the thick coats and capes next to her, she pulled the Sheikah Slate from her hip once more, and after a few taps, a sweater appeared in her free hand. Usually, this would sit under the chainmail and Hylian Tunic she had purchased from the clothing shop in the village, but it wasn't cold enough in the house to need the whole set. After pulling the sweater over her head, she gave the Sheikah Slate a few more taps before the coat disappeared in a flash of blue strings of light. Now barefoot in just her black pants and sweater, Zelda stretched in coziness before looking back down at the slate.

Her fingers drummed against its back as she stared attentively at the inventory screen. Subconsciously, she slid her fingers across the screen before landing on a page labeled weapons. She stared at one of the weapon slots, hesitant about whether she should bring it out. Despite her reluctance, her finger pressed against the screen. In a flash of blue, strings of light began to swirl around before beginning to form in her free hand. The light subsided, revealing a long, mythical sword. It gleamed an attractive purple color, decorated with a gold diamond at its center and forest green straps coiled around its handle. It had a large guard that took the shape of sharp, rigid wings, part of which was covered by the long gold and blue sheath that protected its blade. Zelda placed the Sheikah Slate down at her side before taking the weapon into both hands.

"Sorry," she whispered. "I passed the responsibility on to you. I guess I have a tendency to do that now. Y-You will tell us, right? You'll tell us when Link must take whatever trial it is you have for him?"

No answer came from the sword. Zelda quietly groaned. She allowed the tip of the sheath to rest against the floor before she pressed her forehead to the handle's pommel.

"Must you stay silent?" she asked. "I wish you would say something to take this guilt off my chest. I just wish to know if the choice I'm making is the correct one, even if it is...selfish. Please...tell me..."

Again, the sword remained quiet.

"Will you at least promise me that your trials won't be as harsh as Maz Koshia's?" Zelda asked, closing her eyes in prayer. "Please... I beg of you."

Before she could wait and see if the sword would respond—though her hope that it would had greatly diminished—a creak echoed through the building. Zelda quickly raised her head and looked at the staircase.

"Zelda?" a voice came from downstairs as the door closed. "Zelda, are you home? I saw footprints in the snow."

"Y-Yes!" she called out, quickly grabbing the Sheikah Slate from the sheets. "I'm upstairs!"

"Is everything alright?" the voice asked as they began walking up the stairs.

"Perfectly fine!" Zelda said, fumbling the slate and the sword before tapping a button.

In a flash of blue, the sword turned into strings of light before vanishing into the slate's screen. Zelda gave a sigh of relief before looking over to see Link appearing from the staircase.

"Perfectly fine," she repeated in a calmer voice, setting the slate next to her again. "Especially now that you're here."

Link smiled; however, it wasn't long before it was replaced with a frown and a pair of furrowed eyebrows.

"What's wrong?" he asked sternly.

"W-What?" Zelda asked, caught off guard by his sudden change.

"You're upset," he said, walking forward. "I can tell."

"How so?" she continued, keeping her eyes locked onto his as he came closer.

"Well, it's my duty to keep an eye on you," he answered, stopping right in front of her. "Just as it was back then."

Zelda frowned.

"You're not my knight, Link," she said, trying to match his tone as she continued looking up at him from her seat on the bed. "It's not your job to do that."

"It is, but not as your knight," he said. "As your companion."

"That's...not fair..." Zelda mumbled as she lowered her head.

"You do the same for me," Link said quietly.

Gently, he raised his hand and placed it on the back of her head. He carefully pushed, causing her to lean forward before resting her forehead on his stomach.

"What happened?" he asked. "Did–?"

"No, Link," Zelda answered before he could ask. "It wasn't the Yiga. You promised me you wouldn't stress yourself out about him."

"It's hard not to," Link said quietly. "If it's not that, then what's up?"

"It'll sound stupid if I say it out loud," she said. When Link didn't respond, she reluctantly continued. "When I was walking through town, I saw the children playing in the snow. They almost hit me with a snowball and...they got so scared. They thought that I would be upset. Before I could say anything, they ran off in fear, afraid that they offended the princess."

"I see," Link said, running his fingers through her golden locks. "Their parents must've warned them to be careful when the elders confirmed you truly are the princess."

"I know they did," Zelda said. "I overheard two ladies talking about it. They also said some...other things."

"Two ladies?" Link repeated before his brow furrowed even further. "Near the well?"

"How did you know?" Zelda asked, looking up with Link's hand still on her head.

"Amira and Nikki... They are always gossiping," he said. "They're snarky, those two. I'll have a word with them-"

"Link, no!" she said as Link began to walk away. She quickly wrapped her arms around him, stopping him in his tracks. "If you do, you'll just be proving their point. If they're like that with everyone, then it's fine. Please..."

She had once again pressed her forehead to his stomach.

"I'm more upset about the children..."

Link stared down at her, wanting nothing more than to refuse and talk some sense into the gossiping duo, yet he couldn't deny that Zelda was right. Reluctantly, he placed his hand back on her head and his other on her shoulder.

"They'll come around," he said softly. "Give it time. Even when we stopped by a few months ago, they didn't see you much. According to you, we'll be here for a while. So, maybe you'll have time to bond with them and the rest of the villagers. Right?"

Zelda stayed silent before nodding. Link smiled.

"If you let me go, I'll go make us a nice lunch for today."

"Tempting," Zelda said, pulling away to look up into Link's eyes. "But it's my turn to cook today."

"I-Is it?" Link asked, looking away from her with a nervous grin. "I'm sure it was my turn..."

"You sound as though you aren't confident in my cooking skills!" she said dejectedly. "You know, you really enjoyed the first time I cooked for you back in the desert."

"I think you had a bit of help last time..." Link muttered, receiving a light hit to the stomach from an annoyed—but playful—looking Zelda.

"I'm making lunch," she said with hardened eyes. "I have to get better somehow."

Unable to persuade her otherwise, Link sighed.

"As long as it's food and not an augmentative experiment..." he said unenthusiastically. Zelda grinned.

"Oh, come now, Link," she said excitedly, standing in pride, knowing he'd caved. "You won't be saying that when I've properly calculated the proper proportions from cooking ingredients and potion ingredients. I'm positive that with enough studies, it's possible to merge the two, keeping the augmentation while also retaining the food's flavor."

"Zelda..." Link moaned; however, she quickly turned around and placed a finger to his lips with a cheerful grin.

"It'll be delicious," she said. "Just you wait."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 196 25
There was a before the Calamity, the little things that were seen, felt, and said that Legends don't tell. There was a during the Calamity, where t...
5.1K 76 27
~Having returned after two years, I decided to edit The Heroes' Rebirth. I changed (hopefully) all of the spelling errors, fixed the grammar and chan...
6.3K 92 14
This story depicts Link and Zelda's struggles to maintain a balance in their lives, with which they can fulfill their responsibilities and also enjoy...
5.1K 87 5
Link and Zelda head to the skies to prepare for their new living arrangement below, but it's clear that the two of them aren't used to their new rela...