Always For You. [Snape Romanc...

By MaralinaSakura

Four students have disappeared from Hogwarts without a trace to be found. When Cassandra is sent to investiga... More

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds Chapter 1: Floating Ashore
Arc 1: Chapter 2: A Sandy Seabed
Arc 1: Chapter 3: Deep Drowning
Arc 1: Chapter 4: Seashells Have Secrets Too
Arc 1: Chapter 5: Icy Waves
Arc 1: Chapter 6: Stars Above The Sea
Arc 1: Chapter 7: Skipping Stones
Arc 1: Chapter 8: Conches Scatter
Arc 1: Chapter 9: Sleeping Snow
Arc 1: Chapter 10: Grains of Sand
Arc 1: Chapter 11: A Sweet Dream
Progression Plan: Arc 2
Arc 2: Delusional Reverie: Chapter 1: Remembrance
Arc 2: Chapter 2: Memories
Arc 2: Chapter 3: Resurgence
Arc 2: Chapter 4: Waltz
Arc 2: Chapter 5: Admiration
Arc 2: Chapter 6: Reality
Arc 2: Chapter 7: Arifica
Arc 2: Chapter 8: Calamity
Arc 2: Chapter 9: Perseverance
Arc 2: Chapter 10: Clarity
Progression Plan: Arc 3
Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation: Chapter 1: Far From Me
Arc 3: Chapter 2: Right As One
Arc 3: Chapter 3: Heroes They Are
Arc 3: Chapter 4: Futurebearing Clandestine Canopies
Arc 3: Chapter 5: Love, Time, Prophecies
Arc 3: Chapter 6: Invading Our Senses
Arc 3: Chapter 7: Resolution On High
Arc 3: Chapter 8: What Are Sacrifices
Arc 3: Chapter 9: What Hearts Wish
Arc 3: Chapter 11: Meeting You Here
Arc 3: Chapter 12: The Tales Coming
Epilogue
Artist Gallery #1

Arc 3: Chapter 10: Her Intentions Are...

9 1 0
By MaralinaSakura

Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation
Chapter 10: Her Intentions Are... Ones Worth Knowing

As we made our way through the tunnel, my skin began to prick at the chills nipping at my arms. Despite drying ourselves with magic, being so deep beneath the surface meant the entire inside of the cave was damp with moisture. Without wind to clear it, it pooled and oozed out of the rock. 

"I think I see something up ahead." I said to Severus and Lockhart. 

I walked a bit ahead and was greeted by a diverging path. A tunnel to the left and a tunnel to the right. They looked identical in every aspect. As the two approached, our wands dimmed and all light was lost... until faint balls of light brightened up the ceiling. They were tiny and so small that you could squash them between two fingers but they did their duty to bring sight. I would have liked to imagine they were tiny fireflies but this wasn't the time for such thoughts.

Severus came forward to my side and inspected both paths. "A puzzle. Surely only one of these leads the correct way." he remarked as he pressed a finger to his chin in contemplation. Lockhart pretended he was also analysing the situation.

When I looked at the floating balls, I felt a strange feeling in my chest. One of... loneliness. Yet, they felt so familiar and kind. I held my palm out and one drifted from above to it. It hovered just above contact but it seemed as if it were resonating with something. It moved, to my understanding, happily and floated towards something... As I got closer, I realised it to be an old sign. It was covered in unintelligible runes. I knew how to read ancient runes but these were not any that I had seen before. Severus inspected too but he came up with nothing. 

Then, the light that showed the sign came towards the Amulet. It stroked along its surface before embedding itself in the intricate design. The branch-like pattern began to sprout leaves. Whatever this place was and the Amulet were now connected. Just as it had done so in Gringotts, the Amulet began to glow and I realised the once unreadable runes began to make sense. Though they looked exactly the same, I could interpret them.

For the one who is to come, know that I am the Sin-Bearer. Who I used to be, all that I used to hold, is now turned to ash by my own hand. I repent of my cursed darkness but I know they will never forgive me. Despite that, it is my duty as their leader to atone. I will bring them to this resting place so they may be at peace. None shall be left behind, and I will grant them all that they wished for.

Father, I am sorry.

"How sad..." I said but still confused as to which path to go. It was unknown what was at the end of either and the incorrect choice could mark our demise.

As the thought crossed my mind, the feeling in my chest grew greater. Though this time, it was not coming from the lights but from the cave itself. It was the same magic as the Amulet and Calamity... This place... must be as ancient as they are. 

"Do you two feel it? That energy?" I asked.

"Is it the same as before?" Severus asked, unable to identify it. I nodded in response.

"I do not but fear not, Cassandra, my dear. It is only a matter of time." Lockhart declared annoyingly. His voice was getting intolerable... Why did we bring him along again? My eyes drifted to his back as he stood in front of the right path. ...Now I wanted to push him. Severus definitely noticed my thinking. I raised an eyebrow and shook my head at him. 

......

The glow from the Amulet overtook my senses. When I was released, Severus and Lockhart were in different places than they were before. I then saw myself standing there still clueless. 

"I believe I have the answer!" Lockhart said confidently as he turned towards us. "This reminds me of the time that I had to ask the imps of-"

Severus immediately interrupted him before he could trail on. "And the correct path is?"

"It's elementary, Snape. I would have thought you could figure it out but alas. Not everyone can have such skills as I. Watch." He took long strides down the right path. The version of me in this timeline went to approach but Severus held his arm out to stop me. 

We waited patiently as Lockhart's figure got smaller while he proceeded ahead. He was going in to pitch black. At first, everything seemed to go fine until he let out a horrendous ear-piercing screech before the sounds of tearing flesh echoed through. He was gone. 

......

I rapidly blinked the scene away and was back to the real timeline. Sickness and fatigue fell upon me like I had been splashed with a disease. I had to hold in my stomach to prevent myself from letting out bile. Severus quickly came over and held me up. 

Lockhart, completely oblivious as to my illness, went towards the right entrance.

"I believe I have the answer!" he said confidently as he turned towards us. "This reminds me of the time that I had to ask the imps of-"

Severus immediately interrupted him before he could trail on. "And the correct path is?" 

"It's elementary, Snape. I would have thought that-"

"No!" I called out. I struggled out of Severus's grip and went towards the left. The magical energy was stronger in that direction. "Left. We need to go left." I tried my best to hold in my panting from exhaustion. 

"Why so presumptuous, Cassandra?" he asked offended that I had no faith in his "ability". 

"It's... It's stronger that way." I irked out. "We need to go left." Without seeing if they were accompanying me, I headed down that path. The lights began to follow me, unlike they had refused for Lockhart. It seems whatever was in wait in the right path was not there for the left. We were able to pass through safely. The magical energy was increasing steadily...

*****

The next place before us came to be less of a cave and more of an underground ruin. It was built up and organised. Still, the lights followed and as we reached an open area, they floated around to illuminate the surroundings. What they showed was... hard to describe. It was eerie and yet somehow tranquil. 

A series of encased tombs sat in small alcoves in the walls. They were sealed shut and impossible to open... not that I was eager to do so. It became increasingly obvious what this place was: a crypt. A place for the dead... The author of that sign must have brought them all here. Some of the skeletons were laid out in bed-like indents on the walls. 

Lockhart stifled his nerves but he was struggling. Knowing that all of his adventures were fake, this was evidently his first time seeing anything out of the ordinary. I had seen so many bodies of late that it began to feel normal... That fact was what was making me queasy. 

We proceeded down some steps and came to a narrow corridor. It appeared innocent but there was something about it that came off wrong. Why would the passage go narrow for such a short duration before increasing in size immediately after? It was pushing us towards a destination that it chose. 

The three of us looked around for any other options to proceed or signs of danger. At once, Lockhart called us over to something he found.

"Look, another of those signs." he pointed out. "Allow me to read it for you-" He paused. He didn't speak. It was just silence. Even the lights floating above us were getting bored.

Severus gave a loud sigh. He had forgotten to keep his frustration to himself. "Why don't you let the person here who can actually read it do her job?" 

Lockhart moved dejected to the side and I took his place.

For the one who makes it here, I apologise that you must bear witness to my horrors. These are the remains of those whom I stole from. They were innocent. Unwilling bystanders. I understand why my father said I was unfit. I had not learnt humility. I wish I could blame Her but what would it amount to? I stole the gem. I lured her to that cave. I gave them both at my discretion. This crypt is the only way I can make some form of amends. ...for what is a king without its kingdom?

"I know where we are..." I spoke as it dawned on me. "This is... the remnants of Arifica."

"The kingdom Fletcher spoke about?" Severus inquired as he reached the same conclusion.

"Exactly. The prince was the only survivor which means that this entire place was made by him. He must have felt such intense guilt..." I explained. Lockhart listened intently but none of it made sense to him. The lights danced around in agreement. Were they more sentient than we knew? "That still doesn't answer what this corridor is about..."

......

As the question escaped my lips, the crypt melted away and I saw the three of us. Lockhart, like the idiot he was, decided it was again his turn to make a stand. 

"Fear not, you two. I will go on ahead-" As his foot entered the corridor, a soft click echoed throughout. If you weren't paying attention, it was easily missable.

Instinctively, Severus grabbed me from this timeline and pulled me against the crypt's wall. The ceiling briefly shook and small grains of stone fell to the floor.  Lockhart turned around confused. The me that was in Severus's grip dug her head into his chest to avoid the grit embedding into her eyes. But because I was seeing everything from another perspective, I witnessed the whole event. 

A large log swung from the end of the corridor and came into direct contact with Lockhart. Though it did not go through him, it shot him across the room and he came into direct contact with one of the tombs. So many of his bones shattered in an instant. She peeked her gaze through Severus's arms and saw that Lockhart did not move. He was gone.

......

A harsh coughing fit came out of my system upon my return to the real timeline. It scratched my throat so much that I thought that it would bring up blood. I could barely catch a breath. A tear fell down my cheek and one of the little lights came and brushed it away. They were looking out for me... I felt strangely better. 

It took a while of telling Severus that I was okay for him to let up. The lights were comforting me. No matter how weak I got, I would be fine so long as I had their glow. 

"Fear not, you two. I will go on ahead-" Lockhart took a singular step and the clicking sound sang out. 

My heart was pounding in panic and without thinking, I jumped up and sprinted as fast as my lungs would hold out. Just as the log was about to swing and make contact, I tackled him to the floor and with a thud, I landed on top of him. The log continued to swing with momentum until it reached its arch and gradually came to a halt. 

Lockhart looked at me in shock. Despite having countless fans, this was the closest he had ever been to a woman. He couldn't help the blush and confusion that was coming upon him. I scuttled off from on top of him and crawled under the log to the end of the corridor. Lockhart did the same and Severus simply brushed past the gap.

"You-" Lockhart began to speak but Severus grabbed the collar of his robes and pulled tightly. No words were exchanged but I knew exactly the anger Severus was feeling.

"Severus- Severus, let him go." I said slightly desperately in fear he would hurt him.

"Fine." he remarked and Lockhart's feet met the ground again. Lockhart's face was painted with terror. I knew Severus would never do something so reckless but Lockhart didn't know that. 

My breathing started to pain me more but we had to keep going. The magic was so strong that whatever was up ahead had to be the last. 

*****

A large circular stone door stood firm and brave before us. Within it were small holes to insert something but... what? 

My eyes immediately caught the sign that had been stationed. I wandered over and began to read it.

For the one who braves the darkness, beyond this vault door will reveal the secrets of my kingdom. Our kingdom. I lay my rest with the others and with them, I give my pride. If you are the one able to unlock this door, I hope you can come to understand me. I ask not for forgiveness. What I ask is for recognition: the understanding of who I am past Calamity. When you enter, prepare yourself. This Prince of Arifica is no more.

"This must be it." I said as I looked at the door. It made no sense. There was nothing nearby to input. 

The lights danced more and more. They were enjoying watching us... No... Me. As they swayed and floated, they moved toward the door. It was almost as if they were speaking to each other. They bobbled as if they were communicating and some nodded in response. It was mystical as they formed a large circle and bombarded themselves into the slots in the door. 

The door slowly began to open and reveal its contents... Much bigger than the other areas, a massive chamber appeared before us. The ceiling went up so high that you had to tilt your neck directly upwards to see the top. A small hole within that ceiling let in soft amounts of natural light. Walking directly forwards brought us over a small bridge. Underneath was a lower level with more tombs. At the very end of the walkway was a larger tomb with bland markings on it. It was rather unimpressive considering it was in the centremost position of the room.

The magic in this area was overwhelming but it all seemed to concentrate on that tomb. I felt no danger. This place was safe... I approached the tomb and what I saw confirmed my suspicions. 

Atop the tomb's lid sat a longsword. It was decorated with a large blue jewel on its hilt but the blade itself was dark and corrupted. This was the Abyssian Blade. I went to put my hand on it but just as I did, the same sickness overcame me. It was unbearable. I gripped the lid with all my might to keep myself off the ground. I was so dizzy. I could barely see. The lights were gone...

"Well, well, well." Lockhart approached rather maniacally. "Sorry for it to end like this, you two, but I'll be taking that sword now." he said as he brought out his wand. Despite his voice, his hand was shaking. 

Severus stood in front of me. He went to whip out his wand but somehow, Lockhart gained the upper hand and disarmed him in his unprepared state. 

"Grab it..." a voice spoke to me. It was distorted from my nausea but I knew this to be the voice I heard in Gringotts. "It will protect you. You are the rightful heir.

Lockhart began some charade that I couldn't make out. Severus was helpless without his wand no matter how incompetent Lockhart was. That fact frustrated him. He tried his best to gather me time. With the small strength left in me, I pulled myself up using the lid and crashed my knee against the tomb for support. The sword's hilt fell within my grasp and I wrapped my fingers around it. 

As I did so, the lights suddenly returned from the door, joined by one more that emerged from the blade. They began to pound at Lockhart, sending him cowering to the ground with his hands on his head. "Stop! Stop!" he pleaded but they didn't listen. 

A singular light ceased in attacking Lockhart and stroked my cheek as it had done so before. My fatigue began to fade and I found the strength in my body to stand firm. The blade began to glow a fiery black and a shockwave shot out, almost knocking Severus over and paralysing Lockhart. Now the threat had been immobilised, the balls of light waved protectively before me. 

The light that had been within the blade began to form into a person. It was a rather young man, likely not too many years above the age of Severus and I. He wore ragged robes that made him look rather like a Medieval peasant. He had short brown hair but his tattered appearance made certain strands obscure his vision. His sharp eyes began closed but slowly opened and when they saw me, his lips grew into a smile. 

"You came at last." he said astonished. "I always wondered if you would come."

"You're him, aren't you? The Prince of Arifica. You unleashed Calamity." I told and he flinched at her name.

"Yes, unfortunately, I am him, though I am prince no more. Without Arifica, I am nobody. Let me explain to you everything."

"I tricked that maid and stole the Gem of Arifica. I wanted revenge on those who betrayed me and my father. I was young, stupid, naive.  She preyed on that. Calamity taught me the ultimate sacrifice. When I awoke after her summoning and left the cavern, everyone was dead. Their bodies littered the ground no matter where I trod. I wanted everything and my greed amounted to losing everything. I wanted to be angry. So much I wanted to scream it was unfair and yet... I knew it couldn't be further from the truth. I deserved this. They did not."

He took a shaky inhale. "I gathered their bodies and built this crypt for them to rest. It was the only thing I could do for them. I could not continue to blame Calamity for my mistakes. Though they may never forgive me, it brings me peace that they may all be together. Once I had finished the last body... I locked myself in this room. Right in that very casket." He pointed softly toward it. 

"With it, I left the only memory of Arifica: the Abyssian Blade, as you would call it. It was the sword gifted to me by my father. It wasn't always such a foul colour. It used to shimmer and gleam brighter than the sun. Now, it's stained with my sins. I never expect it to be clean. I deserve that punishment." His eyes were sorrowful. He genuinely meant all that he said. He was experiencing the pain long after his departure from this world.

"Come, I wish to show you something." he said and directed me to a circular monument by the prince's tomb. His finger indicated at a name. "This is where it all began. My name is here... Reuan Erieran. This wall is enchanted to show Arifica's royal lineage. I expected it to end with me... but... I recall I met a woman one day. She birthed twins." 

His finger moved down the line. It split into two. "A boy and a girl. Tryleal and Ylgind. I have no understanding where she got those names but... they were oddly appealing. Tryleal's line continued to expand. Each generation gave birth to a boy." As his finger continued, it came to a stop. 

Ruberion Hollander

"Ruberion..." The name made my fist clench. 

"You knew of him, did you?" the prince asked curiously. 

"He tried to unleash Calamity." The prince's eyes widened in shock and disgust. "I stopped him but he died in the process." 

"So that is why Tryleal's line died out." he realised. "I have been watching his tree for thousands of years. It was the only thing I could do here. Now, if we look toward Ylgind's line..." My eyes fell towards that lineage. Unlike Tryleal's line, all of Ylgind's descendants were women. One name before the last stunned me.

Elsie Reutin

My mother... was Ylgind's descendent? 

"And if you look one more..." 

Cassandra Fudge

"You are the sole survivor of the Arifician dynasty. That is why you can wield the Abyssian Blade. Calamity visited me one day. She told me of Ylgind's powers. Noone after her could use the Amulet of Ylgind apart from who she wished to... that would be you. Ylgind, my daughter, planned this reunion all along. I believe she foretold of your despair and wanted to remedy it. She commanded her worshipper to write that tome with the riddle for you. People would be able to find the Amulet and its five pieces but... they would never be able to find the sixth. For the Abyssian Blade and Arifica were lost to time... until it would be ready to be found again."

He held his hand out for me to give him the blade. I handed it to him and he held it in his hands. "Look at the hilt. There." In the very centre of its design near the jewel was the final piece of Ylgind. Carefully, I approached and took it from the blade. 

"She must have placed it there... You feel its energy because she chose you. I would consider yourself fortunate." he chuckled. 

"That doesn't explain why I felt so nauseous... until the lights came along." I responded.

"Place the final piece into the Amulet. I think you will find your answer." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1K 20
[Book 1] Cassiopeia Moore just lost her mother. At the age of fifteen, she is almost completely alone in the world, and just wants to find her father...
13.8K 325 9
(If you see that there aren't as many chapters as you'd hoped, don't worry, each chapter is roughly about 1000-3000 words each. Enjoy!) This quartet...
67.1K 1.6K 39
Reader is a student at Hogwarts, and a super rebel with Snape. She gives him hell in every way she can to break his stern behavior, she teases him un...
14.1K 393 27
Casandra Clark is not an ordinary witch. She is a Ravenclaw, born in a pure-blood family that proudly consists of Slytherins only. To make matters wo...