Koldis the Green (DRAGONWALL...

By addicted2dragons

Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the fores... More

Author's Note
MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1: ARRIVING IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 2: LORD MARQUIN
CHAPTER 3: SICKNESS IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 4: ARRIVAL IN KASTALI DUN
CHAPTER 5: CATS HAVE CLAWS
CHAPTER 6: LEARNING THE LANGUAGE
CHAPTER 7: PASSING TIME IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 8: DONE WAITING
CHAPTER 9: A PLEDGE OF SUPPORT
CHAPTER 10: CALLING WATER
CHAPTER 11: BLOOD LINES
CHAPTER 12: AN ANCIENT SPRITE
CHAPTER 13: LEARNING FOCUS
CHAPTER 14: NEGOTIATIONS
CHAPTER 15: THE GREAT STONE ROAD
CHAPTER 16: MASTERING ELEMENTS
CHAPTER 17: TAUNTING TAYLYNN
CHAPTER 18: BAGRADAS
CHAPTER 19: A POISONOUS SOLUTION
CHAPTER 20: BREWING POISON
CHAPTER 21: TRAVELING TO ASHVALE
CHAPTER 22: FORT LEADER VOTE
CHAPTER 23: ANSWERS IN ASHVALE
CHAPTER 24: DRINK OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CHAPTER 25: IMPOSSIBLE TRUTHS
CHAPTER 26: RETURNING TO ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 27: END OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 28: NOBLE FAMILIES
CHAPTER 29: TAMING A CAT
CHAPTER 30: A QUEEN IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 31: A SURPRISE VISIT
CHAPTER 32: A TRADE
CHAPTER 33: FROM STONE TO SCALE
CHAPTER 34: THE KING TREE
CHAPTER 36: HEALER'S ORDERS
CHAPTER 37: PREPARING FOR SOLSTICE
CHAPTER 38: SOLSTICE SURPRISE
CHAPTER 39 (BONUS!!): SOLSTICE BALL
CHAPTER 40: COMMISSIONING A BOW
CHAPTER 41: SNEAKING AWAY
CHAPTER 42: PARTING WAYS (BONUS!)
CHAPTER 43: ARRIVING AT CAMP (BONUS!!)
CHAPTER 44: TIME IN THE TENT
CHAPTER 45: A NEW VOYAGE
CHAPTER 46: FLYING
CHAPTER 47: A KING'S SUPPORT
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER 35: CONFRONTING JADE

18.8K 1.8K 576
By addicted2dragons

Esterpine

Claire reached Esterpine's center and the first thing she did was contact Koldis. "You are safe?" she asked. There was no telling if Jade had returned already, and if so, what she might have done believing Claire safely out of the picture.

"Of course...?" Her question had sparked Koldis's curiosity but instead he asked, "Will you be returning soon? Is your buisness with Taylynn completed?"

"I will, but there is something I must do first. And something I need you to do for me." She didn't tell him that she was already in Esterpine's center. Didn't tell him what Jade had done. Didn't tell him what she intended. "I need you and our entourage from Kastali Dun to tuck yourselves in your rooms in the palace—no questions asked. Seal yourselves in with whatever magic you can muster. Do not come out no matter what you hear. Not until I tell you otherwise. I will explain everything later." Her words stretched into silence. "Koldis, consider this an order from your queen."

A hesitation and then—"I do not like the sound of this, my queen."

"Do it."

"All right. We will do as you ask, but you owe me an explanation."

"You will have it. Soon."

She couldn't risk Koldis interfering. The moment he found out what Jade had done, he'd go ballistic, even if she ordered him to stand down. His recklessness could spark a war between the Drengr and the Sprites. She couldn't take that risk. This would be handled by her and her alone.

"Very well," he said at last.

She hesitated at the edge of Esterpine's center square, tucked just out of sight, hidden by shadows. When Koldis contacted her again to tell her that they had carried out her orders, that they were safely barricaded in their rooms, she moved out into the open, into the center of the square. There were a few Sprites milling about, but they didn't pay her much attention, hadn't noticed what she was carrying. Perhaps that was a good thing.

She breathed a long sigh, steeling her nerves for what came next. Closing her eyes, she slammed the butt of the staff into the ground and sent a wave of power sweeping through the city. "Jade!" she shouted, letting her magnified, roaring voice ride the current of power, summoning the queen to her.

The Sprites in view of her stopped and gaped, turning in her direction. She sent the call again. Sent another wave powerful enough it sent a few nearby Sprites staggering back.

"Claire?" came Koldis's voice. "What's going on? Why is your voice is sweeping through the palace?"

Good—it was working.

"Not now, Koldis. Do what I told you. Stay where you are until I tell you otherwise."

Sprites were gathering around her now. She sent out pulse after pulse, calling for Jade, compelling the queen to answer. Feowen appeared, wide eyed, Jeanine beside him; they were holding hands. Again and again she sent waves, shouting for Jade. Whispers grew louder.

Feowen dropped Jeanine's hand and stepped forward. Everyone in the crowd looked at him, as the prince and highest authority present. "Claire, what is—?"

"No! Stay back," she hissed. She lifted her staff and pointed it at him. A warning. He hesitated, eyes widening as he saw what she held. His throat bobbed. Jeanine grabbed his wrist and pulled him back beside her, giving Claire space.

She called once more for Jade, sending another wave of power out, and then the Sprite queen appeared. Her only show of surprise was in her eyes. The rest of her face was hard and angry. "What is the meaning—how dare you—?"

"Silence!" Claire's voice was a snap of power. The queen pressed her lips together. "You would dare ask me questions when you are the one who owes me answers? How dare I? How dare I?! No, Jade. How dare you!"

Around them, the crowd had grown thick, but she and Jade stood in its center with plenty of space. Jade's eyes flicked to her hand. "Where did you get that?" she demanded, taking a step forward before stopping.

"I earned it." Claire blew out a breath of air, shaking her head. "How could you do it? How could you think it would solve anything?"

"You speak nonsense." Jade lifted her chin. "Guards, Lady Claire has had a long day. Escort her into the palace, to her chambers. She needs rest." Behind her, the Queen's Guard materialized, clothed in elegant armor of starlight silver like the necklace around her neck.

"Oh, I don't think so. Guards, stand down," she commanded, slamming her staff into the ground, using it to channel her intention as a wall of nearly translucent green created a barrier around them, sealing her in with the queen. The guards faltered, then stood with their hands on their weapons, eyes darting between her and the queen. "Jade, you will answer for your crimes against Dragonwall. You will tell your people what you have done, how you have wounded the forest over the years with your deaf ear and your blind eye. Go ahead. Tell them of your greed. Tell them why you must leave forever. Tell them why you must be exiled."

"How dare—?!"

"TELL. THEM!" she spat, slamming the staff into the ground again, sending a jolt through Jade. Jade's eyes widened—glanced at the staff. The red anger that had tinged her cheeks moments before faded. Her face paled.

"What is she talking about, Mother?" said Feowen from outside the barrier, his expression confused. "What crimes?" Jade glanced between them, her breaths coming faster, nose flaring. "What crimes, Mother?" Feowen repeated, taking a single step forward.

"Yes, tell him what you have done."

"I did it for the forest," Jade sneered, her face transforming from something that first looked so ethereal to something feral and vicious. "I did it to protect my kingdom. To protect all of you!" This last she shouted at everyone, holding their gazes. "I did something a child like you could never do," she added, pinning Claire with her gaze. "A halfbreed. You, with your tainted blood. You think you have rights here as Isabella's surviving heir when your blood flows with the abomination that shouldn't have existed. With Drengr blood?" She huffed. "I should have known you would come here in hopes of stealing the throne. I should have seen it clearly the moment you first stepped foot here carrying the Stones."

"You're right, I would never, never, hand an innocent person over to Kane. I would never bargain with a sorcerer to save my kingdom. Especially, especially when that sorcerer is a liar. Did you really think he had the power to cleanse the forest? Are you really so naive?"

"We made a deal. I understood there was risk involved. But I would do it again, if it meant cleansing my world of his filth." Around her, gasps sounded.

"His filth? The blight is of your doing! Kane could no more cleanse the forest than your daughter. Taylynn has been running herself ragged fighting the blight your selfishness has brought. Kane tricked you. He used you and you were too blind to see it. Too desperate. You handed me over to him when all he had to do was make you a few enticing promises."

"Is this true, Mother?" Feowen looked cowed, utterly shocked. He glanced between the two of them.

Claire sighed. "It's...true. I wouldn't have gotten away were it not for Taylynn. Your mother found me alone in the forest, tricked me, took me straight to Kane and handed me over in exchange for false promises."

"He showed me what he could do—the promises were not false."

"They were! He tricked you and you fell for it. The only way to cleanse the forest is to cleanse it of you. And for that, you are banished. You must leave."

"I am queen. I decide what is best for my people. I welcomed you with open arms, and look how you have squandered my hospitality. I am going nowhere. You have no authority here."

"Mother—"

"No authority? My authority comes from the King Tree. You should be relieved, considering what the Tree truly intended for you. I picked the more humane of two options."

"The Tree would never speak to you, a halfbreed—"

"The Tree did speak to me. How do you think I got the staff?"

"Because you are a thief!"

She's trying to rile you on purpose, Cyrus pointed out.

Claire closed her eyes for the briefest of moments, willing herself to calm. Arguing would get her nowhere. Already the crowd was looking at Jade with expressions of horror and disbelief, but Jade hadn't noticed. She wasn't sure why, but Claire wanted to preserve what little dignity the Sprite queen had left. "I think it might be best if you go quietly." She kept her voice low.

There was nothing more to be discussed. Nothing more to say, save the words of banishment that would formally bear down on Jade and force her to depart from her home. These were words she took no pleasure in giving. But she didn't allow herself to think about what it might be like, forced to go, forced to say goodbye to something she would never see again.

Thoughts like that dredged up too many of her own memories. Memories of saying goodbye to the farm, even though she thought she'd someday return. She never would. That was too hard to stomach.

"Queen Jade Siraye," she said, using the queen's full name. "I hereby—"

"No!" Jade screamed. The queen lunged, something shinny glinted in her hand. Claire's eyes widened, caught off guard. She sidestepped, trying to dodge the sudden attack. But Jade was faster. Thousands of years of training would always give her an edge, even with Cyrus living in her. Jade whirled around grabbed a handful of Claire's hair, wrenching her head backward, planting her dagger blade at Claire's neck. There was a prick of pain. A bead of blood trickled down her skin.

Claire froze, sudden fear biting her. Her breathing heightened. Jade tightened her fist, pulling hard. She smothered a whimper as pain shot across her scalp. It was nothing like the pain Kane had subjected her to.

"Drop the staff," Jade snarled in her ear. "Drop it or I will slice your neck clean open." Claire hesitated, then opened her hand and let the weapon fall. The loss of its presence was immediate. Her hand felt empty, cold. Her body—less powerful.

"Mother, please," Feowen shot forward, trying to push through the magical barrier that still stood in place. "Unhand her."

"Silence, Feowen." Jade barked a laugh. "My own son, turned traitor. I always thought it possible of Taylynn. But never you."

"Mother..." But Jade had already turned her attention away from him.

"This woman has attempted to take my throne. She is a traitor to our people, and as such, must suffer the consequences. But I am merciful. I will merely banish her, and spare her life." Whispers heightened around the crowd.

Claire's eyes were squeezed tightly shut against the pain along her scalp, but a tear freed itself. Not because of the hurt Jade was causing—or the implication of what the queen planned. Not because of the layer of broken skin beneath the blade in Jade's hand where another trickle of blood was making its way down to her collarbone.

The tear was because of what she had to do next.

Claire dropped the barrier, letting the magic fall away around them. Jade's guards stepped forward, uncertain. "I've had enough of your charade," Jade hissed in her ear, pushing her forward. "If you so much as open your mouth to use magic, I will kill you." These words were spoken too quietly for the crowd to hear. "I thought to put you in your room but it seems I'll have to put you in chains instead, have you escorted directly out of this forest. I've had enough of your..."

But Claire's mind was already blank, Jade's words far away, fading in the distance. Somewhere in the far reaches of her conscienceless was a jasmine blossom. But closer at hand were her ties to one of the Vahlim Eamtylla. Earth. The pillar that supported all life. It didn't just grant life, it took life.

Another tear slid down her cheek. She heard voices, arguing, felt her body being forced forward, but that was far from her thoughts. Her eyes remained tightly shut as she fought this internal battle. There was another rough shove at her back. The blade at her neck pressed more firmly.

The word came to her—the one she needed. She didn't need to speak it to use it. Pelwyn had taught her enough about the world, about Sprite magic, about the connection between everything. I will grant you permission this once, came the answer to her unspoken question. It had been the Tree's initial suggestion, after all. She was the one who'd hoped for a milder alternative. And it was the Tree now, who granted permission to use the death word.

So she did.

Fialmaht. The word consumed her mind, her thoughts. She felt its weight on her chest, its power. Felt it rip through her. A thump sounded behind her, and the additional, smaller thump of a dagger hitting the mossy forest floor. She didn't look, didn't move. A sob broke from her chest, and then another. She couldn't bear it, couldn't bear to see what she'd just done.

You did what you had to, said Cyrus. But she ignored him. Had she really? Was it truly necessary?

Cries sounded around her. The distant sounds of chaos, like the dull roar of a muted tempest. When she opened her eyes and came back to herself, it was to find people rushing about. Jade had crumpled to the ground behind her. The dagger had fallen from her hand and her eyes were open and glassed over.

Feowen had Claire's shoulders in his hands, shaking her, speaking in her face. "Claire! Claire? Are you all right? Did you...never mind. I do not wish to know." He was glancing between the queen's prostrate body and Claire's tearstained face. He dropped his arms, then bent down. "Here," he said at last. "I believe this belongs to you." He handed her Isabella's staff—her staff now. She felt an immediate calm rush over her, its wood sure and steady beneath her grip.

Around them, cries of surprise at the queen's sudden demise were traveling through the crowd. The queen's guards stood with their mouths open—uncertain of what to do. She was vaguely aware of Lord Marquin pushing his way towards them. When he saw the queen, he fell to his knees, but he did not cry. He simply gazed at the woman in shock. "I never...I...I..." He glanced up at Claire then. "It is true? What you said? What she did?"

Claire gave him a singe nod. His jaw clenched but he nodded in return, then put his hands on his knees and stood. She was vaguely aware of Aolis Marquin shouting orders as the queen's body was cleared away.

"The queen is dead," Feowen shouted into the gathered crowd of hundreds, "dead by her own foul means and dishonorable choices. There is a new queen among us. Long live Queen Claire."

"What?" she gasped, staggering backwards, looking at Feowen with wide eyes. She ignored the new magic singing through her, surging over her at Feowen's declaration. Even though the King Tree had hinted at it, she hadn't made her choice. Hadn't chosen this. But now it was too late. His words had activated her reign. "No," she said, shaking her head. "No. That wasn't—"

"There must always be a queen in the forest, Claire."

"But—your sister."

"My sister is not here. Do you see her?" Feowen looked around and sighed. "Don't worry. It isn't permanent. You may abdicate the throne at any time, but until then, come. We must seal the magic before the forest is thrown out of balance again."

"I...don't understand."

"The forest was sick enough with my mother, and now she is gone. It needs all we can give it. It needs to heal. To repair the damage that was done. You are strong. You will fuel its healing. Isn't that what you want? To heal the blight?"

"He speaks true..." The voice echoed through her mind. She looked down at the staff in her hand, almost certain it acted as a conduit between her and the Tree.

"Well?" Feowen prompted, waiting for her answer.

"I, yes, of course. I want to heal the forest."

Feowen led her to the palace. Echos of "Long live Queen Claire," sounded through the crowd, but she barely heard any of it. Barely felt her feet moving—pulling her closer to something she didn't want. She was in too much shock, still trying to process what she'd just done.

She'd killed Jade.

When next she blinked, Feowen had already led her up the Crystal Palace steps, Jeanine at their heels, and ushered her right onto Queen Jade's throne. Her throne.

I don't want this, she tried to say, I didn't plan this. But the words caught in her throat. The forest needed to heal. If sitting on the throne, taking up queenship even for a day would fix things, so be it. Taylynn would return, and she would hand over the mantle.

She would return to Talon, no matter what, even if it meant forsaking her birthright.

A crown was placed atop her head, but she didn't see it, didn't want to look at it. She'd killed a queen for this position. It might have been a victory, but it felt empty. A victory she she did not relish.

"Claire?" The voice was distant in her mind, almost like the sound from a far-off memory. Koldis. "Are we free to leave our chambers now? Will you tell me what is happening, my queen? We are worried." A sob threatened to break free of her chest. His words, my queen, struck too close to home.

In the throne room of the Crystal Palace, Sprites were filing in, as many from the city as could squeeze into the space. Feowen had stepped down from the dais. But he gazed up at her with smug satisfaction, a look she wanted to wipe clean off his face.

Was his mother such a thorn in his side—in Taylynn's side—that already he was glad to have her on the throne? There was much she would give to see her own mother again. To be home, curled in her mother's arms, sobbing on her bed. To sit beside her on their porch swing sipping lemonade, listening to the drone of cicadas.

Or to be with Desaree, Jocelyn, and Saffra, nestled on the sofa in front of her fireplace, drinking wine and laughing about all their secret discoveries. Or to be in Talon's arms, sobbing. She wanted to be anywhere, anywhere but here.

But that is not what fate intended, said Cyrus. You are here for a reason. You must use what you have, your influence, your power, to drive Dragonwall to a better future, just as the King Tree said.

She sighed. You're right, Cyrus. I just wish the cost wasn't so high.

Everything comes at a cost.

And now she felt the duty, the weight of the crown that Talon was forced to bear every single day. And she almost, almost regretted her decision to become his queen. Almost, but not quite.

Squaring her shoulders, she sat tall in her throne, willing her face to an expressionless mask.

"You may come down to the throne room," she told Koldis. "And bring the others."

She did not turn her eyes upward to see them making the spiraling descent through the hollow innards of the Crystal Palace above her. She kept her gaze faraway, her face set, the image of a perfect queen. The queen of a people so old, she couldn't fathom the stretch of years they held beyond her own.

She heard Koldis swear from the side of the crowd where he'd stepped down off the stairs. She knew he'd seen her then. The crowd parted, letting him through. But it was the sight of another beside him, that finally broke through her frozen emotions. Her chest tightened. It took every measure of willpower to stay firmly seated on her throne as the crowd shifted enough so that all of her Drengr escorts, their mates, and two Shields could occupy the space at the base of the dais stairs. Together as one, they placed fists over their hearts and went down on one knee, bowing their heads. But it was Koldis and Reyr alone who dared to lift their eyes from the floor. Their gazes met hers.

Love like heat flooded her heart, her chest. "You may rise," she said to them.

"My queen," said Reyr, a hand still rested over his heart, pride in his eyes. "I am glad to see that you are well. Glad to see you have settled into a position truly worthy of you. Worthy of your stout heart, steadfast courage, and quick mind."

This time, she allowed a sob to brak free of her chest. Standing, she flung herself down the dais stairs and into Reyr's arms. He lifted and spun her in a circle, laughing.

"How is it you're here?" she breathed into his neck. "Talon? He's okay?"

"He sends his regards," Reyr said, setting her on her feet. "And he thought you might be heartened to see another familiar face."

"I'm so glad you're here." She hugged him again, then stepped back, glancing at Koldis. "Why didn't you tell me?" she demanded.

"And spoil the surprise? Come now, Your Majesty. You forget who you are talking to."

A laugh burst from her lips. How could she be mad at him? At either of them? When she was just so happy to have them beside her.

Around them, the crowd had begun filing out of the throne room, due in large part to Feowen shuffling them away. They'd had their moment to gawk. She wanted them out, wanted some privacy. Soon enough, it was only those who had traveled with her from Kastali Dun, along with Jeanine and Feowen.

"You finally going to tell us what's going on?" Koldis asked, keeping his voice low. "I take it Taylynn's suspicions about her mother were spot on?"

"It's a long story, but I'll tell you everything. Soon."

A brief silence fell, then Jeanine stepped forward, fist over her heart, and went down on one knee. "I beg, Your Majesty, that I be allowed to join your Queen's Guard as its first member."

She opened her mouth. "There will be no—"

"I think that's an excellent idea," Koldis and Feowen chimed in at once. They looked at each other, shared a smirk, then looked back at Claire.

"You think I should form a Queen's Guard? Even if I only plan to rule briefly?"

"I think it would be wise," Feowen said. "Our people will expect it—your people. They are your people, you know. My mother shouldn't have said those things about you being halfblooded. Isabella's blood flows through your veins as powerfully as it would were you entirely Spriten. You deserve a Queen's Guard. There will be many here who wish to serve. Many here who wish for the honor."

"But I can't stay. I'm leaving. Sooner rather than later."

"So? My sister has ways we can travel out of the forest. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing more of the world. Besides, something tells me all those who wish to serve will be of the same desire." He grinned. "And I'm sure our queen will grant us leave to venture home when we miss our trees."

"I...yes. I would never force anyone to serve me when they didn't wish to."

"Good." Feowen nodded. His eyes flicked to Jeanine. "Then I too wish to submit my formal request into your Queen's Guard."

"What?!" she shrieked, then covered her mouth with her hand. She knew exactly why he was asking, or at least, partly. He wouldn't let Jeanine leave the forest without him. Donning her composure, she said, "Very well, Feowen. And how many guards do you suggest I take under my service?"

"Six, just like King Talon," were the words that echoed from Koldis and Reyr as Feowen said, "Eight. Six beyond myself and Jeanine."

She glanced between everyone. "It would be fun to one-up Talon with more guards than he has," she decided, a smirk playing across her face as she crossed her arms. "Very well. Eight it is."

The rest of the day passed in a blur. She insisted on time alone with Koldis and Reyr so that she could tell them everything that had happened. Koldis was especially impatient with his demands about Taylynn. He wanted every detail, so she willed herself patient and answered every question.

During her retelling, they protested and growled in all the right places, especially when she told them about Kane and what he'd done to her. She minimized the pain he'd subjected her to, didn't want them to worry. When she came full circle and relived the confrontation with Jade, new tears spilled from her eyes. She hadn't wanted to kill the Sprite Queen.

"Why couldn't she just let me exile her," she demanded, growing angry anew. Her nerves were so frazzled it was impossible to control her emotions.

"It takes a great act of power to let things go," Reyr mused. "Sometimes it's easier to fight, to hang on. Jade did what was easiest and she paid the price. Do not let it eat at you overmuch. Her choices were her own. You did the right thing in protecting yourself. She didn't leave you a choice."

Reyr's words were comforting. They followed her throughout the evening as everyone plied her with food and wine, crowding into her small suite. Even Feowen and Jeanine joined in. It helped to have so many supporters around her, friends and familiar faces. It brought her the comfort she needed—the comfort she would continue to need with each passing day.

She knew there was still much to be discussed. Reyr hadn't told her the true reason for his visit. He'd brushed it off and promised they would discuss it in the morning. Perhaps it was better that way. She'd had enough for one day. It was with great relief that she finally dismissed herself and escaped to her room. When she was alone, she could do little more than tumble into bed and sink into an exhausted slumber. 

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Happy Friday Bookdragons!

I hope you enjoyed this one :) I admit, I raced through the book so that I could write this chapter. I had it in my mind's eye for a while. Next week's chapter is titled, "Healer's Orders" and is from Bennett's POV. 

I hope you have a great week and I'll see you next Friday!

-Mel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37 0 25
Empire is saved, but the world is still in danger. Kairos Empire: I joined forces with my aunts to drive out the demon king, Uruk'Zu, but we lost Pho...
1.1M 38.1K 43
Claire lives in a world where dragons, werewolves, vampires and other supernatural beings treat humans as meat and toys. All she wants to do is live...
10.7K 330 27
A heartless king, born of a long line of dragon shifters, finally finds his one true mate. But not only is she lowborn, there is also suspicion to h...
6.2M 399K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...