I'm Not That Girl // A. Bridg...

By haleystagner89

Lady Alina Bridgerton is starting her first season with new husbands family but with Lady Whistledown keeping... More

Cast
Playlist
Part I
Lady Alina Bridgerton
Diamond of the First Water
Diamond of the First Water II
Diamond of the First Water III
Shock and Delight II
Art of the Swoon
An Affair of Honor
Part Two
The Duke and I
Swish
Oceans Apart
Oceans Apart II
After the Rain
After the Rain II
Heart Stopping
Little Cries
Fin
Sick - Not An Update
Season Two Cast
Part Three
The Letter
Capital R Rake
Capital R Rake II
Off to the Races
(BONUS CHAPTER)
Off to the Races II
Not forgotten/Chapter Coming Soon
A Bee in Your Bonnet
A Bee in Your Bonnet II
A Bee in Your Bonnet III
Victory
Victory II
Part Four
An Unthinkable Fate
An Unthinkable Fate II

Shock and Delight

12.4K 348 25
By haleystagner89

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

Alina sat on one of the swings that hung behind the Bridgerton home, rocking herself back and forth deep in thought. She hadn't slept much the night before as the realization had hit her harshly. I am with child. The thought that in just a few short months she would have to care for a baby with a man who barely seemed to tolerate her was quite hard to swallow. Sure, she could have been in a worse situation, she could have been married to a man who hit her or not even be married in the first place and be ruined in everyone's eyes. "My lady, the Dowager Viscountess, requests your presence in the drawing room." Alina looked up from her blue slippers and nodded. She had apologized to Marie last night and the blonde had been sure to stay as close to Alina's side as she could, providing the support the expecting mother would need. Alina stood and led the way into the manor.

"Ah, there you are my dear." Violet said after a quick hug. Alina took a seat on the opposite couch of Colin and Benedict. Alina picked up her mother's book and opened it to her latest page.

"What is in that book, Lina? You always seem to carry it with you. Is it your diary?" Colin asked playfully. Alina laughed softly.

"Unfortunately my life isn't quite exciting enough to keep a diary. However, if I do decide to start writing one, you will be the first name I mention." Colin grinned and nudged Benedict.

"See? I told you I was liked more than you." Benedict nudged him back, slightly harder but still playful.

"The only reason she would write about you would be to talk about your lack of wins in fencing." Alina went back to her book, making sure to keep the conversation going if someone had included her or asked her a question. The latest topic of conversation was Daphne's time with the duke.

"Two dances? With a duke?" Hyacinth asked loudly.

"Oh, he was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne. At least enjoy some toast, dearest." Violet said, offering Daphne some food while she sat playing the pianoforte.

"I am not hungry mama."

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?"

"Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?" Colin and Benedict asked, their teasing tones lifting Alina's spirits. However, Violet chose to ignore her sons and their antics and focused on the matter at hand.

"I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the duke at the Crawford ball?" The mother asked.

"I should think it a fair chance."

"What about the Ramsbury ball, Friday?" Violet tried again. "And what about the grand picnic?"

"We shall see, mama." Alina chuckled as she took a sip from her tea watching the interaction. Everything had been fun and peaceful that afternoon when Eloise had marched into the drawing room.

"How does a lady come to be with child?" ELoise asked suddenly, shocking the whole room into silence. Daphne had quickly stopped playing and turned to look at her younger sister.

"Eloise, what a question!" Violet exclaimed once her shock had worn off. Eloise continued as if she hadn't heard her mother.

"I thought one needed to be married."

"What are you talking about?" Daphne asked, but Eloise continued once again.

"Apparently it's not even a requirement." Eloise said exasperated.

"Eloise, that is more than enough." Eloise dropped her arms and headed to sit between her two brothers. "Daphne, please you were playing so lovely. Please do go on."

"I take it the two of you know?" Eloise asked, annoyed but innocently.

"Do not look at me." Benedict replied quickly, not glancing at her.

"Have you ever visited a farm, El?" Colin asked and Benedict wasted no time in lifting his arm from behind the couch and smacking the back of Colin's head with a sharp 'no' causing Eloise to growl in frustration.

"I do hope you are not encouraging improper topics of conversation." Violet warned, giving her three children a stern look.

"Not at all mother." Benedict said with ease.

"In fact, we were just heading off to...take our sticks out." Colin stated as he stood, and Alina knew he was silently proud of his choice of words. Violet snapped back around at the phrase.

"Colin Bridgerton!" She scolded.

"A round of fencing!" Colin said with a small shrug as Benedict stood up and followed his younger brother out of the room, his own grin pulling at his lips. Alina quietly laughed as Benedict sent her a playful wink. Eloise sighed and looked over to Alina and moved to sit next to her.

"Have I ever told you that you are my favorite sister?" Eloise asked with hopeful eyes. Alina leaned back slightly, amused by the entire scene that had played out.

"I'm sorry Eloise, but I am afraid your mother would skin me alive if I were to tell you." Eloise huffed and slouched in her seat causing Alina to giggle as she patted Eloise's thigh in comfort. The relaxation of the morning was abruptly shattered when a swarm of new callers filled the room with large bouquets of flowers and many other presents for Daphne, who seemed to be on cloud nine with all the attention. Alina supposed that she would be two if it meant finding someone other than Berbrooke. The chatter of the room and the smell of all the flowers and baked good became too much for Alina and she quickly excused herself from the drawing room. Within the quieter halls, Alina's mind travel back to her situation and not knowing what the first steps would be moving forward or how to handle telling everyone or if she even should. "Marie?" The blonde maid looked over to Alina.

"Yes?" Alina hesitated for a few second before she stopped and turned to face her friend. "I don't know what to do about...you know." Marie gave her a soft smile and reached forward and gently grabbed her hands. Alina couldn't say it just yet, saying it would make it too real and with everything going on around her, it was the last thing that needed to be said.

"Well, when my mother was pregnant with Lucia, and again with Emelia, she kept it secret for three months. When I asked her why, she said that it was to make sure she kept the baby. I would wait perhaps another month before everyone knows, however I do believe that Lady Violet and Lord Bridgerton know right away." Alina knew she was probably right but the thought of Anthony knowing scared her. She figured he wouldn't react well, and Alina didn't think she could handle him dismissing their child. Violet might be a safer bet since she had successfully carried eight children and given birth to all healthy babies.

"How much time do I have before you will be able to tell?" Alina asked after a moment.

"I would say another month, perhaps two? It all depends on how your body handles the baby."

"I wish my mother was still here...I would feel better knowing that she could help." Marie quickly moved forward and wrapped her arms around Alina, disregarding the line of class for just a second. 

"I know. She would have been so thrilled about the news. But what's important right now is to make sure you are not too stressed and eat plenty. We need you healthy!"

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

My Dearest Sister,

I apologize for the delay in my letters. Unfortunately, this will not be a cheerful letter. While on the front lines I received quite a wound to my hand which is now preventing me to fulfil my duty to our country. I will have already returned home by the time you read this, and I wish for you not to worry too much about my condition. It could have been a great deal worse. I am sorry I did not write to you sooner as I feared I would cause you unnecessary stress.

How are things in London? From your last letter, little Daphne seemed to be having quite the trouble with suitors as I am sure your husband is quite thrilled about. It is an older brother's duty to make sure our sister's end up with the best match. I feel may have failed in your case with the Viscount, but our dear papa refused to listen to me. I hope he has not been too terrible with you, little Lina. If he has been any but a gentleman tell me at once and I shall put him in his place if you have not already.

Write to me of your adventures,

Javier Javalera

A small huff of a laugh left her Alina's lips as she read the final lines of her brother's letter. The phrase had begun when Alina would write to him when he had left for school, she had been quite jealous that she had to stay behind and had dreamt of all the adventurous places that he would get to see. She would always sign off on her letters with 'write to me of your adventures' and soon it became something that both did when writing to each other. Alina read through his letter a few more times when the sound of the door to her right caught her attention and Anthony appeared, looking quite shocked to see her sitting on the small couch in his study.

"What are you doing in here?" He asked, however for once his tone wasn't as sharp or annoyed. Simply curious.

"I wanted somewhere quiet, and no one would look for me here." She explained as if it were perfectly normal to be in the study. Anthony chuckled and shrugged his jacket off and poured himself a small glass of whiskey before sitting himself beside her. He leaned back and as he slouched into the couch Alina was reminded of the way Eloise had sat very similar that afternoon and the thought almost made her laugh. It seemed the Bridgertons would sit this way if they were tired or frustrated and she wondered if her child would inherit such behavior.

"What are you reading?" Anthony's question brought her back to reality and she looked back down to Javi's letter.

"A letter from my brother. He got hurt during on the front lines and has been sent home. Lord knows what my father will have to say about that." Alina said with a sigh. She hadn't spoken to her father since the day before we wedding when he wrote stating that he would not be attending and all matters of her dowry will be handled. It was quiet between them as seconds ticked by, neither feeling obligated to break it as both were deep in their thoughts, however it was Anthony that spoke first.

"I owe you an apology, Alina." He said softly, keeping his gaze on the amber liquid in his glass. Alina raised a brow surprised but waited for him to continue, not wanting to push him in fear that he would react in a harsh way. Anthony cleared his throat before speaking. "I have not been fair to you, and I have neglected you." Alina continued to be silent, so Anthony continued, thankful that her quick comments had been stalled. "Earlier tonight, Hastings had told me of a situation regarding Berbrooke and Daphne. I have broken the agreement with Berbrooke and from here on out I will allow Daphne the final say on who she marries." Alina didn't respond for a while trying to make everything, he said sink in.

"I know...as your wife I am supposed to forgive you and move forward as if everything is fine and to play pretend, but I cannot. I will not. You must understand what you have said to me has consequences. I will not forgive you just yet and that might not be what you want to hear. If you really are sorry then prove it. Be an actual husband and stand by my side and act like a decent man, get to know me first before you decide to disregard me." Anthony turned his eyes up to Alina and stared at her as she continued. She was right, he didn't want to hear that she wouldn't except the apology and move on. He supposed that he owed it to her to try, he knew it was going to be very difficult to gain her favor, but he was willing to try and starting over would be his best course of action.

"Very well." Anthony sat up and turned his whole body to face her and held his hand out to her. Alina stared at his hand and when he motioned for hers, she raised her hand and placed it in his still confused. "Good evening, my lady. I am Anthony Bridgerton." Alina watched him not expecting that he would take what she had said in this direction.

"Pleasure, Lord Bridgerton. I am Alina." Anthony bent forward and kissed her hand.

"Lovely to officially meet you, Alina."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! Sorry if this one seems so short, the episode was really Simon based and didn't truly have much to do with Anthony and Alina. Javi will be joining us soon!!

 I hope you enjoyed and let me know what you think! I love you guys! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.7K 2.1K 14
London, 1814 . Alina Wellesley, the daughter of the renowned Duke of Wellington is ready to make her debut in society and find a husband. However, wi...
861 24 20
What happens when the de Montmorency arrives at London for the new social season of 1813, does Cossette lives up to the expectations of her mother an...
190K 6.4K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
12.8K 648 23
หห‹ยฐโ€ข*โ€โžท๐‘ซ๐‘จ๐’€๐‘ณ๐‘ฐ๐‘ฎ๐‘ฏ๐‘ปโญ‘.เณƒเฟ *๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏พŸ::โœผโœฟ - โœฟโœผ:๏พŸ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ* ๐’๐ˆ๐Œ๐Ž๐ ๐๐€๐’๐’๐„๐“, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to...