Solstice Souls

By edzooc8r

Two famous clans of the Cultivational world, forever at odds because of a curse, are trapped in a war they ca... More

Bedtime Story
Birthday Present
Searching for Someone
Best Of The Best
Proving His Worth
Adversaries
Invitation
Dinner Guests
Shenanigans of a Drunken Jade
The Duel of Duals
Wanting, Needing
Deepest Desires
Awestruck A-Ying
Hidden Agendas
Sword Seduction
Of Swords and Other Blades
Family Reunion
War of Words
Forbidden Love
Broken Jade
The Blame Game
Two-legged Beasts
Nightmarish Hunt
Creatures of the Night
Seeking Judgement
Mist Covered Paths
A Son's Duty
All Kinds of Thirst
Medicinal Magic
Under The Moonlight
Visiting Friends
Thieves of Time
The Key To Their Hearts
Soul Searching
Fated Sons
Fortune and Faith
The Verdict
Lessons in Love
First Introductions
Nurturing and Lotus Flowers
A Broken Brotherhood
Of Sound Heart and Mind
Punishment
Insights and Monsters
A Healing Touch
Confessions of the Heart
Understand
Dreamers of the Day
Mother Knows Best
A Spanner (Wrench) in the Works
A Promise to Protect
Home Is Where The Heart Is
Truth or Dare
Shattered Trust
The Grand Tour
Cloak And Dagger
Know Your Enemy
Waterfalls
Love Is Blind
Weapons, Words, and Worship
Three Beasts, Three Tests, One Truth
Harmony From Discord
The Truth of the Past
Tales of the Past
The Story of Soulmates Past
When the Past Meets the Present
Solstice Souls 2: Black Fire, White Flame

And So The Plot Thickens

1.6K 153 100
By edzooc8r

Wei Ying POV

Lan Xichen took his seat at the front of the Great Hall. Wei Ying watched the clan leader move with the confidence of a man who knew exactly what he was doing. It made him wonder what sort of training and grooming the young man had undergone to attain such a level of self-confidence at his young age. However, appearances could be deceiving. Wei Ying hoped that Xichen was more than just a handsome face at this moment.

Clearing his throat, Lan Xichen said, "Lan Lao and Lan Feng, please step forward."

That voice was so commanding that Wei Ying felt his own feet wanting to move. His future brother-in-law's tone was firm yet calming. No wonder he was such a great negotiator and leader.

"The following charges have been brought against you by Hanguang-jun, Wei Wuxian of the Wei Clan, Lan Shen, and myself. Intent to physically harm a guest of the Lan Clan, purposefully altering a night hunt beast, altering said beast with the intent to kill Wei Wuxian, Hanguang-jun's fiance, and breaking hundreds of rules of the Gusu Lan Clan of which I will not list individually."

Everyone in the hall stood silently. To Wei Ying, it felt as if the air in the room had thickened to the point where he couldn't breathe. Beads of sweat gathered at his brow. His grasp on Lan Zhan's hand tightened unconsciously. Knowing that he was the reason for this hearing only made things worse.

Yet part of him, a part deep down inside him, was happy the Lan Clan would not allow the perpetrators to get away unscathed.

"How do you plead?" Xichen asked.

Lan Feng straightened his back and stood tall. "Once again I ask, what proof do you have?"

Wei Ying noticed Lan Lao standing slightly behind his partner in crime, his eyes down but flitting wildly around the room. The man shifted nervously on the balls of his feet. Obviously, he had not expected such higher ups in the clan to take Wei Ying's side. Their guest had only been here for three days yet Zewu-jun and Lan Shen were supporting the intruder as if he were one of their own.

Lan Zhan looked at Wei Ying. His face was hard but Wei Ying knew it wasn't for him.

"I heard you. In the alley. Two nights prior." the younger jade explained.

Lan Feng laughed coldly. "Of course you would claim that now that I have demanded proof. But it is your word against mine."

Lan Xichen and Lan Shen nodded at each other.

"Wangji came to me that very night and told us what he had heard. He is not making it up now." Lan Xichen replied confidently.

Lan Shen looked at the accused men with a sharpness in his normally soft eyes. "You dare call Hanguang-Jun a liar?"

Lan Lao cringed. His head hung even lower. Wei Ying watched his fingers fiddle under the cuffs of his long sleeves. He honestly felt sorry for the young man.

"No. I...I'm not calling him a liar. My apologies, Zewu-Jun." Lan Feng said graciously. "Perhaps he heard someone else speaking in the alley. Lan Lao and I were not out at that time."

Before Lan Xichen or Lan Shen could continue, Lan Zhan stepped away from Wei Ying. He approached the two men purposefully. Wei Ying wanted to follow him, to be by his side. But it was not his place right now. This was clan business. And right now, Hanguang-Jun was the one who needed to be present.

Lan Zhan stopped in front of the accused. His golden eyes were cold, calculating. The expression on his handsome face was one Wei Ying recognized and was glad he was not the one his soulmate was looking at. The entire atmosphere of the Great Hall became tense, everyone waiting to see exactly what the Second Jade of Lan would do to protect his future husband.

"Where were you?" he asked.

Lan Feng pushed his chest out in an attempt to make himself look as powerful as the great Hanguan-Jun. He looked so ridiculous. Wei Ying started giggling behind his hand, unable to stop himself.

"We were...."

"No." Lan Zhan interrupted.

"Wangji!" Lan Qiren reprimanded harshly.

Lan Zhan's eyes never left the two standing in front of him. "Apologies. Not asking Lan Feng. Speaking to Lan Lao."

Wei Ying's laughter died instantly. At first, he was afraid their uncle would punish Lan Zhan for his rude behavior and breaking a rule. But when Lan Qiren sat back in his seat, stroking his beard like it was a cat, Wei Ying understood that he was just as interested in what was happening as they all were.

Lan Zhan's tactic of going after the weaker of the two suspects was turning Wei Ying on. It was a lion cornering its prey, ready to go in for the kill. His jade's cunning approach had Wei Ying smiling, his front bunny teeth biting down on his lower lip in anticipation of what Lan Zhan would do next.

"Lan Lao. Where were you two nights ago?" Lan Zhan asked again, this time his eyes locking onto Lan Lao's wide ones.

"W-W-We were....we were....in the library."

"Witnesses?"

Wei Ying was so proud of his beloved. He looked at Lan Xichen and Lan Shen who also seemed to be proud of the young jade. Although, to anyone else, their expressions hid their true feelings. But being around Lan Zhan had given Wei Ying the gift of reading people's faces and knowing their hearts.

Lan Lao looked at Lan Feng. Both were shaking. Wei Ying knew they had to be careful. The two young men were now frantic, terrified animals who were trapped with nowhere to run. No escape meant they were shifting into a flight or fight sense of mind which made them dangerous.

Lan Zhan sighed. He turned to the elders, his eyes meeting his uncle's.

"And I quote, 'This is the best way to get rid of that Wei urchin. You'll see, and then Wangji can put this mess behind him.'"

"We had to do it!" Lan Lao shouted, instantly throwing a hand over his deceitful mouth.

All eyes were now on the two guilty Lans. Whispers blended together into one constant sound like the buzzing of locusts.

Wei Ying gasped. A painful chill slid down his back. Dread twisted in his gut. His terrified silver eyes met shocked golden ones. No one had expected this. The feet that had held him in place earlier now carried him swiftly to Lan Zhan who took him in his strong arms.

"Explain. Now." Lan Xichen commanded. Wei Ying shuddered at the commanding tone of his voice.

Lan Feng tried to put on an air of indifference but Wei Ying could see he was scared, too, just like Lan Lao. And, they didn't seem to be scared of them necessarily but whoever was pulling the strings of their little plan.

"We can't. My apologies, Zewu-Jun." Lan Feng answered defeatedly.

"Why not?" Lan Shen asked curiously.

Both young Lans remained silent, their heads down in shame.

"Answer them!"

Wei Ying looked up at the man whose voice thundered inside the Great Hall and surprisingly found Lan Qiren walking towards them. Lan Zhan held Wei Ying tightly but Wei Ying wiggled out of his grasp. He stood tall next to his jade. The heir of the Wei Clan was no coward or weakling. Though he did love being held by his fiance.

Lan Qiren stood with Lan Zhan and Wei Ying and demanded again, "I said answer them."

Lan Lao looked at the Head Elder, tears streaming down his tired face. "We...we can't. I'm s-sorry."

Lan Xichen moved in front of his uncle. "Can you tell us why you are unable to tell us? Are you frightened of someone hurting you?"

Wei Ying was amazed at how well Xichen handled this impossible situation. The man's voice, which had been so formidable just minutes ago, was now soothing like warm honey and persuasive like the plea of a woman. His expression was soft and understanding like that of a best friend. It was obvious from the two guilty men's responses and body language that they were afraid of something. Or someone. Could they really blame them for their actions if they feared for their lives?

Lan Lao nodded the tiniest of nods. Lan Feng looked betrayed.

"I understand." Lan Xichen said. "Guards, escort them to the holding area."

Wei Ying jumped forward and grabbed Lan Xichen's arm. "Zewu-Jun, please. I don't think they're really the ones behind the attack." he said quietly.

Lan Xichen looked at both him and Lan Zhan. His lips were pressed into a thin smile. "A-Xian, I believe you. But right now, we cannot let them walk freely. And, if someone is threatening them, holding is the safest place for them. I will even double the guards and make sure they receive three meals a day if that makes you feel better."

"But Xichen-ge...."

"It's the best I can do right now."

Lan Zhan took Wei Ying's hand in his. "Thank you, gege."

And with that, Lan Feng and Lan Lao were taken to the clan prison inside one of the mountainsides. Lan Qiren and the other elders dispersed and returned to their homes to meditate. Lan Xichen made sure the guards understood their duties and that they were to ensure the two prisoners' health and safety until they decided what to do with them.

Wei Ying and Lan Zhan were the last two standing in the Great Hall, its size now more massive that it was empty. Wei Ying thought back on the events that just happened and the revelation they discovered.

Why did so many people want him dead?

Madam Yu was nothing new, she had been wanting him gone for years. The entire Lan Clan of course wanted his head on a post because he was the only heir to the Wei Clan, their mortal enemy. At first, they believed that it was just two rogue Lan members that wanted him dead because he was marrying their precious Hanguang-Jun. But, as it turned out, there's someone else who wants him dead.

And, even though Wen Zhuliu didn't seem to want him dead, he definitely gave Wei Ying the creeps. Knowing what Lan Zhan told him about the color of his core, Wei Ying could guess why the Wen soldier was so interested in him. And his power.

"What is Wei Ying thinking?"

The sound of his dearest's deep voice pulled Wei Ying out of his thoughts. Lan Zhan wrapped his arms around him and hugged him gently as if Wei Ying was a priceless heirloom. Lan Zhan's intoxicating sandalwood scent filled his nostrils and Wei Ying buried his face into his jade's thick curtain of ebony hair.

"Better?" Lan Zhan asked hopefully.

"Not yet."

Wei Ying pulled his fiance closer, needing to feel that hard body against his. His core pulsed inside him. Lips that were soft like bunny fur brushed against his. Wei Ying moaned quietly as Lan Zhan began kissing him. Time stopped as their lips began their slow dance to music only they could hear. The tiny flutters of Wei Ying's heart quickly became rolling thunderous explosions.

Lan Zhan's tongue demanded access and Wei Ying opened greedily, desperately wanting to feel Lan Zhan inside him. He answered with his own attack, losing himself to the sweet taste of his jade. Wei Ying floated amongst the clouds. This was heaven on earth. Held in the arms of a god that, for some reason, had promised his life to Wei Ying, the beautiful dancer devoured every touch and whisper of a moan his Lan Zhan gifted him with.

Breaking apart was always so difficult. They were breathless, hot, and wanting more. But more would have to wait.

"Better now?" Lan Zhan asked with a smile.

"Lan Zhan! You can't smile like that! My heart will explode from your gorgeous face."

Immediately, Lan Zhan's cold expression returned. Wei Ying laughed. "I don't know how you do that."

Wei Ying kept looking at him. "I like the smiling Lan Zhan better." he admitted with a playful grin.

Lan Zhan's eyes lit up. The corners of his swollen lips turned up at the request of his fiance.

"That's much better. But only when you're around me." Wei Ying ordered with a shaking finger.

"Mn."

"And...and never in front of anyone else," he added with a harmless scowl.

"Wei Ying's wish is my command."

"Hmmm. Really?"

Lan Zhan bowed before him, taking Wei Ying's breath away. "Would do anything for my Wei Ying."

Those words were like an arrow piercing Wei Ying's pounding heart. Just when he thought he couldn't love his jade anymore, Lan Zhan did something that proved him wrong.

"I would like some Emperor's Smile, please. The past few days have been....stressful." Wei Ying moaned.

Lan Zhan rolled his eyes at him but Wei Ying pretended not to notice. He leaned against his jade and sighed deeply. Long fingers began walking up Lan Zhan's chest until they reached his neck where they drew tender lines across the skin. Wei Ying watched the tiny goosebumps spread across the pale skin under his touch and his heart raced.

"Hanguang-Jun." he teased in a singing voice. "I'm so thirsty. I want my Emperor's Smile now, please."

Wei Ying felt the snap inside his beloved jade. Strong arms swept him off his feet making Wei Ying squeak. Lan Zhan marched them out of the Great Hall and made a beeline for Jingshi with Wei Ying giggling all the way.

                ************************************

"Hanguang-Jun! Hanguang-Jun!"

Someone was knocking very loudly at the door. Wei Ying moaned and covered his head with his pillow.

"Lan Zhaaaan, make it stop." he whined.

*knock knock knock*

Wei Ying felt Lan Zhan leave the bed and heard him open the door. To his relief, the knocking stopped. He peeked out from under his soft hiding spot and saw two junior Lans standing on the other side of the doorway. Both looked like they had seen a fierce corpse, their faces pale.

"Speak." Lan Zhan ordered angrily.

The taller of the two, Lan Xun spoke first. "Hanguang-Jun, the....the prisoners have been m-murdered."

Wei Ying shot out of bed and rushed to stand next to his fiance.

"What do you mean murdered? How could they have been killed in holding? Where were the guards?"

"Zewu-Jun requests your presence. That's why we are here."

"Mn."

As quickly as they could, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying dressed and followed the two juniors to holding. Inside the mountain's prison, Lan Qiren along with a few other elders, including Lan Shen, stood just outside the cell where the two dead Lan clan members lay. Lan Xichen was inside accompanied by the head physician who was bent over the lifeless forms.

Wei Ying's heart felt the first icy pricks of dread as he stared at Lan Lao's face. The man's mouth was frozen in a scream, his eyes devoid of life. Wei Ying began shaking, his teeth chattering. Lan Zhan's arm wrapped around him but not even his jade's warmth could chase away the cold terror that seeped into his bones.

Lan Feng was sitting upright with his back against the wall, blood tears dried to his now white skin.

Lan Xichen looked up at them. Wei Ying could see the fear and anger in his dark amber eyes along with other emotions, all entwined into something dark and dangerous. The strength in Wei Ying's legs failed him and had it not been for Lan Zhan holding him, he would have fallen onto the hard floor.

"Wei Ying." Lan Zhan gasped. His arms wrapped tighter around Wei Ying's waist, struggling to hold his partner's dead weight. "Wei Ying what's wrong?"

Lan Xichen took a few steps towards the couple. Lan Zhan looked at his brother with confusion and fear swirling like black ink in his fiery golden eyes.

"Gege?" he said in a small voice.

Lan Xichen glanced at Wei Ying whose eyes were still glued to the bodies in the cell.

"I'm sorry, didi. Guards...take Wei Wuxian into custody."

"No!" Lan Zhan shouted. Bichen unsheathed on its own, protecting its master and his beloved.

"Wangji, please." his brother begged. "Don't make this any harder than it already is."

Lan Qiren moved like lightning and pulled Wei Ying out of his shocked nephew's arms, throwing him at the awaiting guards who pinned the outsider's hands behind his back.

"Wei Ying!" Lan Zhan yelled. Bichen changed direction and stopped just short of piercing the thin skin on his uncle's neck.

"Wangji, you dare to protect the man who killed two of your own clansmen?" he asked, feigning shock.

"What?" The disbelief in Lan Zhan's voice was painful to hear.

Lan Xichen placed a steady hand on his brother's shoulder. "Wangji, lower Bichen."

"What....proof?" Lan Zhan bit out through clenched teeth.

Xichen sighed. "Both men were killed with resentful energy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.2K 3.5K 72
Wei WuXian, also known as the Yiling Patriarch, was feared and hated by many until his death by his own Shidi but what if...that never happen? What i...
76.7K 1.8K 50
Adventures of Wei wuxian and Lan wangji after marriage and some random wangxian one shots. Mainly contains smut and fluff so read at your own risk A...
14.8K 944 16
In a world where humans and demons have long been tangled in a deep-rooted conflict and skepticism towards each other, Wei Wuxian - a child born from...
112K 7.9K 29
[First place winner Eunoia Awards WangXian category July 2021] After being apart for years, Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are reunited, finally starting thei...