I'm Not That Girl // A. Bridg...

By haleystagner89

Lady Alina Bridgerton is starting her first season with new husbands family but with Lady Whistledown keeping... More

Cast
Playlist
Part I
Lady Alina Bridgerton
Diamond of the First Water
Diamond of the First Water III
Shock and Delight
Shock and Delight II
Art of the Swoon
An Affair of Honor
Part Two
The Duke and I
Swish
Oceans Apart
Oceans Apart II
After the Rain
After the Rain II
Heart Stopping
Little Cries
Fin
Sick - Not An Update
Season Two Cast
Part Three
The Letter
Capital R Rake
Capital R Rake II
Off to the Races
(BONUS CHAPTER)
Off to the Races II
Not forgotten/Chapter Coming Soon
A Bee in Your Bonnet
A Bee in Your Bonnet II
A Bee in Your Bonnet III
Victory
Victory II
Part Four
An Unthinkable Fate
An Unthinkable Fate II

Diamond of the First Water II

14.8K 391 32
By haleystagner89

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Title, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Alina watched the scenery pass through the carriage window as she, Violet, Daphne, and Anthony had made their way to the first ball of the season. She and Anthony had yet to speak to one another after he had come home earlier that evening. With the pins holding her hair digging into her head and the small ache in her neck Alina snapped out of her thoughts as they finally came to a stop and the door swung open. Daphne couldn't hide her excitement and happily climbed out of her seat after her mother, Alina, followed close behind. Daphne made sure to link her arm with Alina's and Anthony and the three made their way into the large estate with Violet following closely behind. The buzz of the ballroom was almost as equal to the music that seemed to bounce off the ornate walls. Alina's gaze flitted over the many young girls and impatient mama's over to the dance floor where she spotted Colin enjoying himself.

"They're all staring, mother." Anthony grumbled as he eyed the many young men whose attention seemed to be drawn to Daphne like a moth to a flame.

"Allow them to come to you, dearest." Violet had instructed, ignoring her son's annoyed tone. Not long after a dapper looking lord presented himself.

"Lady Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton...Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose."

"Uh- yes. We met at your brother's Levee." Ambrose added.

"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." Daphne said, making sure to keep her tone light and welcoming.

"His first and only, I believe." Anthony introjected.

"Still a wonderful accomplishment, regardless.." Alina stepped in, ignoring the almost glare Anthony sent her way before continuing as if she hadn't spoken.

"I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose.Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?" Ambrose, fully embarrassed, swallowed and quickly bowed to the family before excusing himself. "Ambrose is a cheat. A man of any honor ensures his debts are fully paid."

"And you are the perfect example of a man with honor, are you?" Alina stated more than asked, having a feeling of how this evening would go and not wanting poor Daphne to suffer. Before Anthony could respond Daphne spoke.

"I did not realize-"

"Well, how could you have done? It is the very reason I am here, sister. Let us take a turn about the room." Anthony gently pulled Daphne away, making sure to leave Alina with Violet which was fine with her. VIolet reached out and placed a hand on her gloved arm with a smile.

"Come, let us take our own turn about the room." Alina nodded and allowed Violet to escort her around the room, making sure to keep a small smile on her face like any lady should, no matter how exhausting it may be. It wasn't long before the two lady's were swept up in a group of the other married ladies of the room and after the third round of pleasantries Alina's eyes roamed about before setting on a miserable looking Daphne. Alina quickly excused herself from the group and made her way over to Daphne and Anthony.

"Good evening, you two." Alina greeted making sure to stand on Daphne's other side.

"I'm quite parched."

"I shall fetch you a glass of lemonade."

"No. You have already done so much for me tonight. I shall take Alina with me. We will be back in a moment." Alina gave Anthony a smile and quickly departed from her husband. 

"I almost envy you, Daphne. I think I would prefer standing and talking to the men then the extremely boring gaggle of the married guest variety." Daphne laughed as they made it over to the small refreshment table and picked up her small glass.

"Did your brother try to keep every man from you like Anthony has?"

"My situation was quite different, love. However, Javier did stare at men like they were target practice." Alina laughed softly at the memory of her older brother's chagrin.

"Small glasses." Alina and Daphne turned quickly to see who had spoken and Alina felt her smile drop instantly at the sight of Lord Berbooke coming closer.

"Lord Berbooke."

"Tiny little things, are they not?" He continued.

"The glasses? I suppose." Daphne said a little unsure of how to get out of this small situation.

"Then the matter is settled." Berbooke exclaimed proudly.

"I'm not entirely sure what the matter in which you discuss, my lord." Alina said finally bringing the odd man's attention to her.

"Ah, Lady Alina Javalera. A pleasure to see you again."

"It's Bridgerton now, my lord.-"

"Yes, yes. How could I have forgotten?" Berbooke ran his eyes over Alina before turning to Daphne once again. "You've always amused me, Miss Bridgerton. Ever since I was a school boy, and you were-"

"All but five?" Berbooke chuckled and Alina felt a chill run down her spine at his creepiness. She had been lucky last season, however she had a feeling that Daphne wouldn't be.

"I do believe I hear Anthony calling you, Daphne. Lord Berbrooke, please excuse us." Alina chimed in and gracefully swept Daphne in the other direction.

"Miss Bridgerton!" Alina tried to quicken their pace. "A moment, please! Miss Bridgerton?" Feeling more like prey as the Berbooke began to follow after them, both girls turned to look behind them for a moment before forcefully running into someone.

"Pardon me.-"

"Forgive me." Daphne and the new man had said at once. Daphne glanced behind her once again to see that Berbrooke continued to fight his way through the room to get closer to where they were.

"Tell me your name." Daphne demanded desperately. Alina's eyebrows rose in shock at the tone.

"Daphne-"

"Your name, sir?" She pressed again.

"Am I honestly to believe you do not already know my name?" The man had asked. Alina frowned at his annoyed but almost obnoxious tone. Daphne looked at Berbrooke once again before laughing boisterously. "If you desired an introduction, madam, I do believe accosting me to be the least civilized of ways."

"Accosting you?"

"Truly they will try anything."

"Sir, that is not...this is not"

"What is your name?" Alina had asked, already having enough of his attitude. There was no reason to be this rude by a complete mistake.

"Basset? Basset!!" Anthony shouted as he came closer to the three of them.

"Bridgerton!" The man, Basset greeted his tone something other than utter annoyance.

"Come here old friend!" Of course Anthony would be friends with someone quite rude. "I heard news of your father. Deuce take it, you are no longer Basset."

"I shall–"

"Hasting! The Duke of Hasting, now and known for evermore."

"The DUke of Hastings, is it?" Alina asked, bringing the attention to her and Daphne who stood there just as shocked.

"Right, Hastings, this is my wife Alina and my sister. Daphne, Alina, Hastings and I know each other from our days at Oxford, days we shall not soon forget."

"Yes. As I am well aware of the company you keep, Anthony. I am certain your days with His Grace were most civilized, indeed." Alina said, making sure to keep her welcoming smile but her tone anything but. Daphne held back the laugh at her annoyance.

"Hastings, we shall need to get together properly. I expect to see you at our club, then."

"Indeed. Evening Bridgerton. Lady Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton." Daphne and Alina nodded farewell as Anthony led them both away from his long time friend.

"Was that truly necessary?" Anthony asked quietly as began walking to the entrance.

"Yes, it was. He was quite rude to begin with for no reason." Alina responded, both of them missing the look Daphne had as they moved away. Anthony didn't respond and instead chose to roll his eyes at her pettiness.

"Daphne, I believe Lord Wetherby is looking for you to dance." Violet said with joy, halting their movements.

"Is he?" Daphne asked with true excitement that Alina hadn't seen since they had arrived.

"If only it weren't time for us to retire." Anthony insisted.

"Daphne's anything but weary. I shall stay with her."

"That would be lovely." Still Anthony refused.

"Daphne. There is nary a gentleman here who would not take your hand. You must think about this. The most perfect thing to do now is not to dance, but to leave them wanting more. If anyone knows how this works, it is your eldest brother. Alina opened her mouth to make yet another comment but closed it deciding it was not the time as she was dying to leave and rest for the evening as her feet ached for release from their prisons.

"Perhaps he is right. Let us go." Violet scoffed softly before following her son out of the ball. The ride back home was just as quiet as the ride out, however Alina was thankful for the time to decompress from the social evening. She felt like a candle that had burned for so long that it was about to extinguish itself. Once they had made it back home Alina headed straight to her room and after bidding Violet and Daphne a good night. 

"Oh, I wasn't expecting you so soon, my lady." Marie stated once she came into Alina's room to begin turning down the bed. Alina was sitting at her vanity carefully taking the pins and tiara out of her hair, sighing at the relief.

"Anthony wanted to come back early and for once I am very grateful for his ideas. I doubt I could have lasted another hour talking to Mrs. Collins about the difference between a dessert fork and a salad fork." Marie laughed softly as she moved the pillows.

"How did Daphne enjoy the evening? Should we be expecting another wedding soon?" Alina sighed as the last of the pins was removed and her hair fell down to the middle of ehr back, the tension quickly leaving her body.

"If Anthony has his way, Daphne will never marry. Hopefully tomorrow will bring her plenty of suitors and she won't have to settle for Berbooke." Marie helped her lady change out of her gown and into her night clothes and just as she had been dismissed Anthony had entered the room.

"Anthony?" Alina was surprised to see her husband enter what was supposed to be their shared room for the first time in weeks. "Did you need something?"

"Not at all." He said as he began to undress for the evening. Despite her annoyance with the man she could definitely admit that she had gotten lucky to be married to such a handsome and fit man. Alina turned her gaze away from her husband and moved over to her side of the bed and blew out the candle beside her, having enough of such a strange evening. 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The very next morning, Alina found herself sitting in the drawing room across from Eloise as the two sat quietly reading, however it wasn't long before the door opened gaining everyone's attention only for Anthony to come strolling in much to Daphne's disappointment. "Anthony. I did not expect to see you here this morning."

"It is terribly early for you, dearest." Violet concluded with just as much confusion.

"I could not sleep for some reason. All the excitement, I presume." Alina knew this too well. All night Anthony had tossed and turned as well as trying to read but that ended quickly. Alina was ready to throw him out the window at one point but after she had hit him with a pillow he seemed to have gotten the idea and kept quiet for the remainder of the night. "Am I the first gentleman to arrive? How wonderful!"

Dearest Reader,

This author finds herself compelled to share the most curious of news. It seems our diamond requires a closer inspection.

Alina sat in front of Daphne and her latest caller of the afternoon as Anthony stood directly in front of them.

"Is there a problem, Lord Bridgerton?"

"I should think so. You are in my seat." Anthony demanded. Alina wanted to laugh at his antics but held it together for Daphne's sake and watched as the caller slowly stood up and left Daphne's side.

As such, an even rare jewel of only the most remarkable brilliance, fire, and luster has been unearthed. Her name, unknown to most yet soon known to all, is Miss Marina Thompson. This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton...for we all must know what the queen despises more than anything...being wrong. And the drawing room at the Bridgerton House currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George. It follows that LAdy Feartherington is to receive what she has always desired: the season's true Incomparable living under her own roof. She must be overjoyed.

"Has anyone else read what Lady Whistledown has written of late?" Eloise asked once she looked up from the latest scandal sheet of the week.

"Should anyone pay heed to what Lady Whistledown writes of late?" Alina asked not looking up from her letters from her brother.

"I certainly do not." Hyacinth added.

"Mama, perhaps we might attend the upcoming Salisbury ball by ourselves and the Merriweather tea too." Daphne offered.

"I believe that Anthony has already replied on our behalf, dearest. Apparently he has managed our social calendar through June." Violet admitted. Alina rolled her eyes and folded her letters to fully join the conversation.

"He'll be there for the entire season?"

"Lady Whistledown has made her opinion on our dear sister's fortunes quite clear.--"

"Oh, enough about Lady Whistledown!" Daphne exclaimed, finally taking a seat next to Eloise.

"Caller for Miss Bridgerton," Everyone perked up in the room for the first caller in days. "The Lord Berbrooke." And just as quickly everyone's excitement fell as the pompous lord made his way into the room.

"Lord Berbrooke." Violet greeted. "Um..uh...come in! May I help you to some freshly prepared biscuits? Eloise, allow some room for his lordship will you?" Daphne quickly grabbed onto Eloise's hand to keep her as close as possible. "Eloise, are you not due for a visit with Penelope this morning?"

"I believe I should like to stay."

"I believe you should like to go." Violet all but ordered her daughter. Alina excused herself from the room not wanting to listen to what the toad had to say. As she made her way up the many stairs she was suddenly hit with a wave of vertigo and felt as if she were about to fall to the ground. Benedict, seeing his new sister sway slightly he quickened his pace down the stairs and to her side.

"Alina, are you alright?" He asked softly, extending his arms out ready to catch her if need be.

"Yes, yes I am quite well. I am not sure what came over me. Perhaps a lack of sleep." Alina tried to smile but it appeared more like a grimace.

"Should I get your maid? Or perhaps my mother?"

"No, it is alright. I will just try to get some rest. I will be alright. Thank you Benedict." Alina took a step but the action made her almost trip and that time Benedict wrapped his arms around her as her face seemed to pale.

"Allow me to help you." Alina nodded and made sure to take careful steps.

"Where were you running off to? Not causing trouble are you?" She asked, hoping to lighten the mood. "Perhaps you have found a lady to call on?" Benedict laughed at her attempt and shook his head.

"Unfortunately not. I believe Anthony is the one causing the trouble lately." Alina huffed a small laugh as they finally made it to her room. "Are you sure you will be alright?"

"Yes, thank you very much for your help."

"Of course, get some rest Lina." Benedict gave her a beaming smile that she couldn't help but return.

"Have a good day, Ben."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Love you all! Let me know what you truly think!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 32.6K 56
It is said that second-born sons have all the fun. This much is certainly true for Benedict Bridgerton, free from the burdens held by his eldest brot...
6.8K 153 14
Duty, Honor, and Loyalty are the words that Anthony Bridgerton deemed to be his virtues. Yet if you were to ask Angel she would list out all his faul...
908K 20.4K 46
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚MORE ۡ∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...
1.2K 25 21
What happens when the de Montmorency arrives at London for the new social season of 1813, does Cossette lives up to the expectations of her mother an...