...

By DamselinaDirtyDress

More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Seventeen

14.1K 485 11
By DamselinaDirtyDress

THE GRIFFONS LANDED in sequence with Loushka foremost. Alek gave me a swift hug then swung his leg over the saddle and slid down. I heard muffled thuds when the other men slid down. I stared wide-eyed across at Sian and Loi on one side and then to Kassie on the other. Turning back, I watched Alek and the others approach the group gathered to greet us. He stopped a few meters from the front of the group, the four men halting behind him. All those in the group waiting bowed deeply. Hmm okay, must bow when introduced, I thought, taking mental notes. Alek spoke briefly to someone then turned and beckoned us.

THE WOMEN EXCHANGED another glance, then slid down from the griffons. Kassie gave Kerak's leg a squeeze before she left and the griffon made a soothing noise like a purr. Feeling nervous, she headed toward the other three. She saw Audrey waiting for Cat by Loushka's foot and the dog shadowed them while they moved. They strode forward in a line and stopped just behind the men.

ALEK TURNED AND indicated, 'May I introduce Catherine.'

I bowed and he continued, introducing the others who bowed at their names. Then he turned to the other party. 'And may I introduce the matriarch of the Mestarn line, the Sorceress Elena.'

A beautiful woman stepped forward smiling and inclined her head in greeting. Alek indicated to the man on the left of the Sorceress and introduced him as Yakov, the late King's adviser. I felt a pang of homesickness when I stared at the man who smiled at us. He reminds me so much of dad, I thought, the open smile and blue eyes. Even Audi whined at him, something she only did to dad.

Yakov smiled. 'Alek, you haven't introduced us to someone.'

Alek laughed and bent down to give Audi's head a pat. 'This is Catherine's dog Audrey.'

He continued with his introductions and introduced the three men in uniform—the Lieutenants of the General Guard. 'Lieutenant Ignatius, Lieutenant Payton and Lieutenant Rashid.' The three men gave stiff bows, their faces curious while they observed us.

SIAN STUDIED ELENA. The woman's aura shone with power and Sian watched her in awe. Elena looked to be about Loi's height, with dark olive skin and large, almond-shaped eyes that you'd expect to be brown, yet instead were a brilliant blue; a very beautiful woman. She wore a lovely dark blue gown that was reminiscent of a robe, with its long wide sleeves and deep cowl neck.

Elena smiled at Sian who flushed at being caught staring, then the Sorceress excused the Generals and adviser. They bowed low to her, then to Alek, and left. Sian watched curiously, wondering why they had singled Alek out. Perhaps it's due to him being head of the Griffon Guard, she thought.

KASSIE COULD FEEL Lucky squirming in her bag and hoped they would be shown to their rooms soon.

'Alek, why don't you and the other men see that the griffons are well settled in. I know they'll want to rest.' Elena smiled at Alek and then turned her attention to the women.

Kassie froze for a moment; Elena's gaze felt like it went right through you, seeing everything. She nervously licked her lips. A flash of blue darted past Elena and Kassie's jaw dropped at the sight of the slender blue haired woman who'd just leaped into Gredel's waiting arms, smothering him with kisses.

Blue hair, she thought in astonishment. That woman has blue hair, even her eyebrows appeared a shade of blue; I must be tired.

'If you ladies will follow me, I will show you to your rooms.' Elena glanced at them and turned to a door in the turret before them.

Kassie felt another twinge of nerves when they walked away from the men and griffons, who launched back into the air.

Cat caught her eye and the two exchanged an anxious look. I wish the guys had been able to stay with us a bit longer, she thought, and with a sigh, followed the others through the doorway. Round and round and round they went. Kassie kept her hand on the wall while they descended. The walls were smooth, made of glistening white rock. Little niches in either side of the stairwell had glowing lamps tucked inside them, providing a gentle light. Finally, they reached the ground. Elena ushered them across a paved yard and into the castle, before leading them to another turret, which they climbed to the second story. Groups of people stood clustered about, pausing in their conversation to stare at the girls when they stepped out of the stairwell.

IT LOOKED LIKE we were the evening's entertainment. I tried to put a smile on my face but failed. No one smiled at us, they just stared. I wondered who Alek had us look presentable for, it can't be these people. I stared at the gorgeous fabrics the women wore. Opulent velvets and silks crafted into exquisite dresses. The men wore simple styles: tunics, slacks and blazers, in rich jewel tones. Beautiful clothes, they made me feel shoddy in comparison. Elena greeted them, then continued on. Leaving the crowds behind gave me a sense of relief though the tiny hairs on my neck stiffened, I could feel them staring after us, but resisted the urge to look back.

POLITE MUCH, LOI thought, feeling insulted at the stares—what a rude bunch. Elena led them through a maze of corridors and Loi studied it all, trying to memorize the route. The large corridors echoed with the sound of their feet. Only the occasional servant hurried past them but all paused to bow to Elena while casting curious glances at the girls.

NOW THIS IS what a castle should look like, Sian thought, studying their surroundings. She'd been to a couple of castles in England and Wales, but this place put them to shame. Even with as exhausted as she felt, she couldn't help noticing the expert workmanship. All the walls gleamed white, contrasting sharply against the polished, dark hardwood floor. Only the occasional window appeared at the far end of the long corridors, offering nothing but their reflection against the darkness outside. Lamps hung suspended from the white ceiling, wide cylinders of glass and metal and they shone bright with a subtle greenish hue at their bases. They passed dozens of doors while they hurried after the Sorceress. Sian admired the delicate white molding that traced along the base of the walls, following up and around the polished doors that matched the floor. They kept passing more doors and turning more corners. Tapestries and paintings decorated the walls sporadically, making her wish they could walk slower so she could admire them all.

ELENA FINALLY STOPPED in front of a large set of double doors and opened them. 'This is your suite,' she announced and gestured for us to enter.

I felt my eyes go wide at the sight of the very large room. Nice! Four double beds were set out, two in each front corner, heads almost touching, one under the window and the other against the wall. Each wide bed was dressed with a thick embroidered coverlet and four large matching pillows sat plumped at the head. A sigh slipped out of me at the thought of a soft cushy pillow and bed. Two large dressers stood in the middle of the room, back to back, and two armoires stood against the wall beside either door.

Elena watched while we looked around the room and then cleared her throat. We turned and she walked over to a door in the far right wall.

'This is your wash room. I do recommend having a bath or shower either early morning, or late evening as there is usually more heated water then.'

We squeezed together to peek past her at a proper—make that HUGE—en suite bathroom; was nothing in this place a regular size?

Giving us a moment to look, Elena then said, 'I know you will want to crawl into bed so I won't keep you any longer. Someone will come by your room tomorrow morn to escort you to breakfast. There are clothes in each of the armoires that should fit you. We'll talk properly after breakfast. Sleep well.'

Sian and Loi dashed for the wash room the instant the door closed behind Elena. Kassie and I rolled our eyes at each other and decided to pick beds instead. We discovered that in the left corner each bed had a smaller bed beside it, one for Audi and the other for Lucky who Kassie let out of her pack. The little cat meowed and then stretched out while trying to bunt heads with Audi who seemed excited to see her friend out and about. We showed them their beds and left them to explore the room. I wandered to one of the armoires and opened it, it was jam packed full of clothing, all in beautiful fabrics. I gently ran a hand over them. Must have a good look tomorrow when I'm actually awake, I thought, turning back to Kassie who sat on the end of a bed, looking around.

'IT SEEMS SO quiet,' Kassie nearly whispered. 'I wish I'd known we weren't seeing the guys again tonight, I would've liked to have said good night.'

Cat nodded sympathetically. 'Me too.'

The door to the wash room opened and Sian and Loi came out, looking relaxed and clean, wrapped in towels.

'Your turn,' Sian sang out, and then sat down on one of the beds in the right corner.

I SWEAR THAT bed felt like the best thing ever when I sunk into it after cleaning up. The mattress molded itself to me and a groan of pleasure slipped out of my mouth. I blushed hotly when the others started laughing.

'Cat, you sound indecent,' Loi teased.

'Maybe you and your mattress should get a room,' suggested Sian.

'Shudup' I mumbled, half asleep already. 'I'm allowed to appreciate a good mattress.'

Kassie had us in stitches when she replied, 'Yes but not while we're here please.'

I rolled over and reached a hand down to Audi, curled up on her bed. She shifted then gave my hand a quick lick and settled back down with a sigh.

The sun woke me the next morning and I stretched out, delighting in the size of the bed. I'd slept like the dead last night and felt fantastic for it. Glancing around, I saw the others still slept. Oooo but they'll wake up soon, better be quick!

I clambered on top of my covers and reached over to shake Kassie awake. 'Kassie,' I hissed.

'Wha—?'

'Quick, wake up! Let's get the wash room first.'

Kassie's eyes shot open and she rolled over to stare at me for a moment. 'Right!' We both scrambled off our beds and raced for the bathroom, not trying to be quiet at all.

LOI SAT BOLT upright. 'Sian! They beat us!' She reached over to swat Sian who mumbled at her. 'You said you'd wake up no problem,' Loi accused. Cat and Kassie laughed as they shut the door. Loi scowled at Sian; a useless gesture because she'd gone straight back to sleep when the washroom door shut. Flinging her covers off, Loi stood and stretched hard.

Mmmm that feels good—she broke off, laughing at the sight of Audrey doing the same thing.

'How are you Audrey girl,' she cooed to the dog who ducked her head then cosyed up to her. The dog's long tongue caught her on the nose.

'Ewwww,' she giggled and wiped her nose. 'C'mon, Audi. Let's check out what's in the closet and pick what I'm wearing today.' The selection and quality of clothes impressed Loi. Most of the clothes were made in a wrap style so they would fit several sizes and there were a number of beautifully embroidered long belts. In the end she settled upon an indigo, long sleeved wrap top with black pants. A red belt and delicate pair of black slippers completed the look. Satisfied, she set the clothing at the end of her bed and waited for the others to finish in the bathroom.

THE MOMENT WE unlocked the bathroom door Loi shot past us, sleepily followed by Sian. Audrey greeted me then sat back on her heels to yell.

'Shush shush noisy girl.' I scolded her and she hung her head sheepishly at me.

'Inside voice, Audi,' I reminded her then pulled her into a hug, ruffling her fur. I headed for an armoire and looked back at Kassie who fussed over Lucky. 'Come pick out something to wear with me, Kass.'

She wandered over, allowing Lucky to steal her spot on the bed. We gushed over the clothes and eventually chose something to wear. I sat at one of the dressers and ran a brush through my hair. It felt funny to be able to look in a mirror again. Those horrid butterflies returned to my stomach and I fidgeted with the items on the dresser, placing them in groups. I wish I knew what was happening, I sighed, hating the wait. My brain felt like it ran on overdrive at the moment, coming up with wild theories from what Elena wanted with us, to whether Alek had a girlfriend or wife here. What if he'd used me and I'd completely misjudged his actions?

I stood and paced around the room, distracting myself by admiring the architecture; classic, with the white stone walls and dark wooden floor and accents. Audi, sensing my mood, paced with me, whining. I flopped onto my bed and she leaped up beside me, tail wagging. 'Sorry pup,' I ruffled her fur. 'I just hate waiting, I want it over. I want to know what's going to happen and man are those two taking a long time.'

KASSIE LAUGHED, 'AREN'T they just. I think they'll be responsible for the water shortage today.'

'How can you be so calm?' Cat demanded. She sat on her bed, legs crossed with her knees bouncing in agitation.

Kassie shrugged. 'You know how it is, one of us freaks and the other is cool with it. We'll find out shortly. Patience is a virtue.' She winked at Cat.

I SNORTED IN annoyance at her patronizing tone and crawled across the bed to peer out of the window.

Whoa.

Our windows overlooked what must be an inner courtyard. Like the rest of this place it looked huge, more like a park. I gazed down at the beautiful canopy, a rustling mass of colors; green, gold, crimson, silver. Shuffling closer, I put my elbows on the windowsill, head in hands while I gazed about. So much bush, very pretty. I wonder if the guys live in the castle? Maybe they have their own places, I would. I looked higher, staring over at the AnguemRange and the dense forest that led to the mountains. It made me think of my family's cabin. That's what I'd do, I'd build a little cabin in the bush for myself, I thought. Tears slipped down my cheeks, but I didn't make a sound. I didn't want to upset Kassie. Audi snuggled closer to me and I sat straighter, wrapping my arms around her, my thoughts stuck on the cabin. It was my favorite place on Earth, where I felt safe, at peace, and Audi had so much fun. My parents and I spent lots of time up there together. It'd haunted my dreams last night. I felt this horrible sense of dread that I'd never see it, or them, again. God I hope I'm wrong. Sian and Loi came clattering out of the bathroom. I wiped my eyes discreetly. We wait and see, I guess.

SIAN HAD JUST finished tying a belt around her waist when someone knocked on the door. Cat went to answer it and Sian checked her reflection again. The light blue dress made her blonde hair and blue eyes appear brighter. Pleased, she smiled at the reflection.

'WE'RE TO FOLLOW this man to the Great Hall,' I said when the others came to stand beside me.

'For breakfast and then to meet with the Lady Elena,' the page explained. 'And you can bring your dog. I will bring some food for your cat to your room.'

Again we passed through a maze of corridors and I marveled at the workmanship of the castle, wishing I had time to admire it.

We heard voices as we neared the Great Hall and two guards opened the enormous doors for us.

ALEK FELT ODDLY nervous at the thought of seeing Cat and he couldn't understand why. It had only been overnight. Elena had arranged for an extra seat next to each of the men. Having the space beside him made him feel lopsided and every courtier in the room had studied the space curiously. It almost feels like a bell's ringing over it, he thought sourly, hurry up girls.

Just then the doors opened and he could hear them. The men sat up and out of the corner of his eye he saw Yakov shoot Elena an amused look. The room fell silent when the four women entered, but all Alek really noticed was Cat.

AS WE ENTERED everyone fell silent, turning to observe us. I felt a pang of nerves but stamped on it and held my head high while we followed the page. The tables were set out in a large U shape with Alek, Elena, Yakov and the others seated at the curve. The clever U shape meant the servers could walk down the center without having to navigate the seats.

A huge smile spread on my face when I caught sight of Alek and I headed straight for him. His blue eyes regarded me warmly and he stood as we approached. Screeches of wood against wood rang out as everyone else in the room pushed their chairs back and stood. The four of us froze, startled by the abrupt movement, then Alek held his hand out to me. The sense of relief when our hands touched felt wonderful and we stood for a moment, staring at each other with silly grins.

Everyone sat. I greeted Elena and Yakov and nodded to the Lieutenants who inclined their heads at me. No one talked over breakfast; all too busy eating. The food was fantastic. A proper cooked breakfast with hot and crispy streaky bacon, and freshly poached eggs, sautéed mushrooms, crunchy hash-browned potatoes and more. By the time we finished my stomach almost groaned with fullness and I relaxed back in the seat. I stuck my tongue out at Alek when he looked at my plate in exaggerated astonishment. 'Did we not feed you enough?'

'You did, but after that fantastic sleep I needed this. You can't compare a sleep on a cot to one in a bed.'

'I take it your room is suitable?' asked Yakov.

'Oh, most suitable,' we assured him.

'If you're all ready, why don't we head to the library for a chat?' Elena asked. As polite as the request sounded, it became apparent that it was an order when the men immediately stood. I hastily got up. All those in the room bowed to Alek when he passed by and they didn't sit again till we exited the room. Sian and I exchanged a confused look; what the heck was that about?

THEY FOLLOWED ELENA to the library, pausing while Daron and Rumal pushed the huge doors open. Are they incapable of having normal sized doors, Kassie thought in amusement and went to follow the others in. She stopped short.

WHOA! This is the Library?

The room was enormous. Two story's high with a partial mezzanine level in the far right corner. The walls were lined with immense bookcases that ran the full height of the room, with a couple of rolling ladders on rails that trailed across the top level of each bookcase. The stocked shelves almost made her drool; I could live here.

Glancing over at Cat, Kassie chuckled when she saw the same expression on her face. The two of them frequented all the libraries in Wellington together. I wonder if we'll ever do that again? A pang of homesickness hit her and she banished it. No point in thinking about that at the moment. Rumal urged her forward and they walked into the room. It opened up to the left after the first enormous bookcase and more bookcases filled the walls. The very back wall was made entirely of glass and the view!

Is that the courtyard? Kassie stared in amazement. It looks like a proper park; I didn't realize just how big this place is.

RUMAL GRINNED AT Alek, Sabyn and Daron when the women gasped at the window. It was a point of pride for the castle and had taken six fire dragons a month to create the largest single pane of glass in the land, with tiny gemstones suspended inside so it glittered no matter where the sun hit it.

IT HAD TO be the most beautiful window I'd ever seen. My fingers itched to touch it. Look how it sparkles, I thought; feeling my magpie tendencies right now. With the shelves of books and the pretty window, this room had to be my favorite, so far at least. I couldn't believe how many books they had crammed in this place. You could only see glimpses of the white stone on the walls. I must come back to look at this room properly, if we get time. Elena sat on a large ornate chair and indicated we should sit. We sat on two couches that ran parallel and looked to the Sorceress.

ELENA SMILED AT the curious faces before her. 'I suppose you are wondering why I sent the Griffon Guard to bring you to me?'

The women nodded earnestly.

'I believe I will have this conversation with the women only,' she spoke to Alek who glanced at Catherine. 'Why don't you men head to the solar as you usually do? I will send them that way when we have finished.'

The men stood and bowed to the Sorceress then left the room.

The four women switched seats so they sat on the couch opposite Elena and waited for her story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 31.3K 51
The Requiem Series #1 (Formally released as Lacrimosa) (c) Christine Fonseca 2016 and 2012 Some sacrifices should never be made, even for love. Nesy...
30.3K 2.8K 29
Julie is the target of mysterious attacks... When Lightning Ignites is the second book in the Lightning Series-suspenseful young adult fantasy novel...
113K 5.4K 19
စံကောင်းမွန် + တခေတ်ခွန်း ငယ်ငယ်ကခင်မင်ခဲ့တဲ့ဆက်ဆံရေးကနေအကြောင်းတစ်ခုကြောင့်စိတ်သဘောထားကွဲလွဲပြီး ပြန်တွေ့တဲ့အချိန်မှာသူဌေးနဲ့အလုပ်သမားဆက်ဆံရေးဖြစ်သွ...
455 190 28
After spending years at a reform school for supernatural delinquents, Paige Davis, a witch with a bad reputation, returns to her hometown to finish h...