Double-Edged Words

By caribebooks

"Kill Her! Kill Her! Do it!" Her screams echoed in my mind. The crazed look on her face seared into my memory... More

COPYRIGHT
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
AFTERWORD
APPENDIX

CHAPTER SEVEN

39 1 0
By caribebooks

He is mad He's definitely gone mad. This thought echoed in my mind as I stomped up the stairs. In my haste, my foot got caught in the fabric of my skirt. Sending me hurtling through the bedroom door in a mess of flailing arms and skidding feet. "I'm fine. I'm fine." I said between gasps. With the click of the lock, the pounding in my chest slowed.

The wooden bedframe groaned in protest as I threw myself on the bed with a force that almost gave me whiplash. "Look at this." My arms swept around the room, pointing out to the imaginary audience in my head how right I was in my accusations. "Isn't this enough proof. Who furnishes a room with only one bed? Better yet, why have a bed in here at all? He lives alone, as he said. He only needs one bed. The one in his room." Flopping onto my back in an overly dramatic fashion. I thought to myself, And what, does he think I can't take care of myself? That I can't find a way to support myself and be able to live on my own? That I'm an easy woman that would jump at the chance of having a wealthy life? My vision grew blurry as my eyes remained fixed on the designs in the embossed ceiling.

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until a knock on the door woke me up. "Miss?" A servant called from the other side of the door.

What day is it? How long was I asleep? "Yes?" I sat up and raked my fingers through my hair.

"Will you be joining Your Grace for breakfast?" she asked.

I cracked the door open. "I don't feel like going down today. Can I eat here?"

"Of course, Miss. I'll bring it up in a minute."

"Thank you, you're so kind." With an apologetic smile, I closed the door. What am I going to do?

⚜⚜⚜

The golden rays of the setting sun shimmered on the plate as I stabbed a few leftover peas with my fork. "What if the duke is trying to take advantage of me? He seems to have a kind disposition, but he might be faking it. What most nobles do, is they take you in, and when you have no more use to them, they discard you. He could be like them". I leaned back in my chair and stuffed a piece of bread into my mouth. As I glared at the loaf of bread in front of me, the happy faces of three children in an alley came to mind. "Maybe he's not so bad. Maybe he does want to help." I put another piece of bread in my mouth. "And the servants have been very kind to me," I muttered, remembering how the maids helped me when I first came here.

"Don't hesitate to ask for our help, Miss." A maid―I think she said her name was Annie. Or was it Brigitte?― says as she and another maid help me into my room. "We are here to assist you and help you get better," says the other maid, a mild-mannered woman with a warm, soft voice. No, wait, the former is Bridgitte, and this one is Annie. Gosh, I suck at names.

"Thank you so much. You're very kind," I say as the two maids help me sit down on the bed.

"And don't worry about clothes Miss. The girls and I will lend you some of our dresses until we can go out and get something for you," Annie says with a sweet smile. "What colors do you prefer?"

"Blue would look stunning on her." Commented Brigitte

"Whichever you choose, I don't mind." My voice shook. "Thank you so much." I blink back the moisture in my eyes as my throat constricts with emotion.

She places a warm hand on mine. "You're very much welcome. Now, you wait here, and we will prepare a nice warm bath and bring you up a snack, ok?" They smile and excuse themselves.

Even Mr. Benjamin —although not very happy with me staying here— is always by my side, ready to help.

"How is she, doctor?" says Benjamin as he stands next to my bed.

"Well, color is starting to return to her face, and it might not seem like it, but she has gained a little bit of weight. So she is on the road to recovery." Says the doctor as he packs up his stethoscope.

"All right, do you have any suggestions about how to help her recover? What vegetables, grains, or meats should we prepare for her? Do we need to give her more supplements?" Benjamin asks.

"As long as you provide her with healthy meals and she takes her supplements every day, she will be better in no time." The doctor assures him.

A relieved smile breaks across his face. "Thank you, Doctor." He bows his head to him and turns to me, "Miss., what would you like to have for dinner today?"

"Um, anything is fine," I respond in a small voice.

"Alright. I'll tell the kitchen staff to prepare you a special dessert today. As an encouragement to continue on your journey to good health." He flashes a warm smile.

The melodic song of a small bird on the windowsill brought me out of my memories. Can I just leave and forget about the kindness these people have shown me? My fingers played with the silver butter knife that rested on the table. And it's not like I have anyone waiting for me back in Adelysia's. Before I could convince myself to stay, another thought came to the forefront. But what do I know about taking care of an estate? Of a dukedom? Plus, I'm illiterate. I would be of no use to these people. My eyes wandered to the window. By the time the moon took its place in the night sky. I had made a decision.

My fingers played with my skirt as I stood by the dining room doors in the morning. "You can do this." Taking a deep breath, I pushed the large oak doors open.

Anxious grey eyes settled on my face as I walked to my side of the table. "Good morning," Greeted the duke as he stood from his chair.

"Good morning," I replied, sitting down on my mismatched chair.

He mirrored my actions. "I would like to apologize. I didn't mean to offend you last time we spoke." The weight of his stare was unnerving. 

"I accept your offer." I blurted out before I changed my mind.

⚜⚜⚜

"You did what?" exclaimed Benjamin. "You proposed to her? Iskander, b―but why?"

"I need someone to take care of my assets. To take care of you if something were to happen to me. I don't have an heir, and I can't adopt her, so the best option is to marry her." I reasoned.

"And she said yes?" Benjamin asked, full of disbelief.

I nodded.

His legs grew unsteady, and he sank into the couch. "Iskander, this is a bad idea. The girl has no knowledge of how to take care of an estate. I don't think they even gave her a proper education, to be honest."

"That's why I made arrangements to hire a teacher for her. She would receive a noble's education, and I would like you to guide her in how to run an estate."

Benjamin hid his face behind his hands. "What if the young lady turns out to be a bad person?"

"I'm not doing this without taking some precautions. I will add some clauses to my will that protect you and the household from harm." Sitting next to him I placed my hand on his shoulder. "It'll be fine, I promise."

The tick-tock of the wall clock grew exceptionally loud in the silent office. With each tick, my once solid resolve was being chipped away little by little.

I almost gave in until benjamin bowed his head in resignation and asked, "When is this wedding going to happen?". 

"In the evening."

His eyes went wide. "Today?" I nodded. "It's so I don't have time to change your mind, isn't it?" He scoffed. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, something tells me I can trust Leyla."

Benjamin sighed and clapped me on the shoulder. "Then I guess I should congratulate you on your upcoming wedding."

Hours later, the whole household gathered in my office as the civil law official fished some papers out of his bag.  "Well, before we sign these documents. I will need to ask you some questions." He cleared his throat and turned to Leyla, "Miss. you are of age, I presume. How old are you?"

"Yes. I'm twenty-one years old, Sir." Her hands gripped the fabric of her skirt.

"Name"

"Lehylany, Sir."

His quill glided on the paper, adding her name to my formerly empty family tree. Seconds later, the official's eyes rose back to her face, urging her to continue.

A confused look appeared on her face, then realization sparked in her eyes, "Oh! Um, that's it," She said in a small voice.

The official shot her a confused look and nodded. "Alright, next question. Young lady, have you've been coerced in any way to marry this man?"

"No, Sir. I'm doing this out of my own free will," Leyla answered.

The law official scribbled something on the paper and asked, "Your Grace, your complete name and age?"

"Iskander Ilberd Nubilus. Twenty-five."

"Have you been coerced in any way to marry Miss Lehylany?" He asked without looking up.

"No."

"Very well then, please sign here, Your Grace." He placed his index finger on an empty space on the paper. He beckoned Leyla closer. Placing his finger beside my signature, he said, "Sign here, Miss."

Leyla's brow furrowed in concentration as her shaky hand drew each letter. One by one, she filled the blank space with something that resembled her name, 'Lehylany'. The end result made her face twist in disgust.

"Thank you, Miss." The official took the quill from her hands. "You are all witnesses of the union of these two people today." He gestured towards the servants standing around the room. "I would like to present your new Duchess, Madam Lehylany Nubilus." He turned towards Leyla and bowed his head in respect, "Your Grace." He handed her a copy of the marriage certificate. He turned and gave me a copy as well, "I'll take my leave. I wish you both joy and happiness in your marriage."

Many words of congratulations followed after the official's departure. The servants were all smiles as they patted my back and shook my hand. Happy to see their master finally settling down. Well, everyone but one.

In a corner, at the back of the room. Leyla stared at the certificate with strange eyes. Is she regretting her decision? Did I coerce her into this without realizing it? My heart sank.

Not wanting to frighten her. I carefully approached her while the servants chatted amongst themselves. "Are you alright?"

She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. "I have a last name now."

⚜⚜⚜

Not wanting to make the situation any more difficult. Benjamin and Leyla struggled to school their features into one of serenity as they said their goodbyes. Their efforts were in vain, though. Their worry seeped from every pore in their body.

"Be safe," Benjamin said.

"We'll pray for your safe return," Leyla added.

My voice failed me, so instead of a response, I just got on my horse. Heart full of sadness, I galloped out of my estate and into the lion's den.

Stars were out in the sky by the time we arrived at the campsite. A beautiful landscape was now reduced to no more than a plot of dirt, torches, and stained canvas. The whole place stank of sweat and violence, and the once soothing sounds of crickets and owls now were replaced by groans of the injured men inside the medical tents. 

A lone tent stood vigil in the middle of the grounds. It glowed from within, a sign of an occupant still hard at work in the late hours of the night.

"Your Grace," Greeted the Grand General as he pulled the tent flap open for us.

"How's are things up here?" I asked

"Well, everything is under control for now. We have had some casualties, but nothing we can't handle. We hope to push the Wallerian forces out of Wila in a month."

A big smile spread across Calim's face. "Good, let's hope we can end this as quickly as possible. There is a girl I got my eye on that I would like to ask out when I get back." 

Unfortunately, things did not go as planned. Anticipating our every move, the enemy forces completely seized the Wila dukedom.

For a year, we fought to bring back stability to the kingdom. Until the bone-chilling cold swept into the plains. Bringing our fight to a standstill.

Snow crunched under my boots and fluttered down onto the frostbitten landscape. Hunching over, I hugged my chest and quickened my pace. The tip of my nose burned as I breathed in the crisp air.

"Your Grace, a letter has arrived for you." A knight handed me a letter outside of my tent.

"Thank you." I turned over the envelope in my hands as I walked into the warmth of my tent. "No sender," I mumbled. Many possible different scenarios ran through my head as I tugged the envelope open. Bracing myself for the worst. My eyes scanned through the contents of the paper.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.9K 419 26
The Emperor Elijah was the most famous , handsome , and powerful person in his time. He was also known as the heartless Emperor, he wasn't called tha...
3.7K 228 43
My fingers slid down his frangible ribs, subconsciously counting each one. I stared upon his scrawny figure. My hatred had quickly turned into guilt...
293K 9.2K 199
All her life, Eleanora did everything to make him love her but in the end, what she got from him was her execution for a sin that she never did. Bef...
46.6K 2K 60
"You need to understand this." He stepped closer, "I'm going to protect you Seraphina. Now and forever. Even if you choose to leave. You're someone I...