Oleander - Bucky BarnesxOC

By Woolfhoundss

The oleander is a beautiful flower that represents love, destiny, and understanding. However, when consumed... More

CONTENT WARNINGS AND AUTHOR'S NOTES
PLAYLIST
PROLOGUE: JUDAS
CHAPTER ONE: DANGEROUS TYPE
CHAPTER TWO: SOMEONE NEW
CHAPTER THREE: DINNER
CHAPTER FOUR: NO BODY, NO CRIME
CHAPTER FIVE: ALL THE THINGS I WOULD DO
CHAPTER SIX: FASTLOVE
CHAPTER SEVEN: SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
CHAPTER EIGHT: LOVEFOOL
CHAPTER NINE: NUMBER ONE CRUSH
CHAPTER TEN: 505
CHAPTER ELEVEN: ESCALATION
CHAPTER TWELVE: RUN TO ME
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: I'LL STOP THE WORLD AND MELT WITH YOU
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: IMAGINE BEING LOVED BY ME
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: NOWHERE TO RUN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: SPELLBOUND
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: I WALK THE LINE
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: MOONLIGHT SONATA
CHAPTER NINETEEN: GREEN LIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY: RESTLESS HEART
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: NFWMB
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: BECAUSE YOU'RE MINE
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: CANNONBALL
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: IF I HAD A HEART
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: HEAVEN KNOWS (WE BELONG WAY DOWN BELOW)
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: VOLCANO
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: A HEATHEN CLUNG TO THE HOMILY
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: LOVE AND WAR
CHAPTER THIRTY: WOLF AT YOUR DOOR
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: WE MUST BE KILLERS
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: THE NICEST THING
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR: BULLETPROOF
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE: IN THE WOODS SOMEWHERE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX: CRAZY IN LOVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: FERAL LOVE
EPILOGUE: THE GOOD LIFE
SEQUEL ANNOUNCEMENT: TITAN

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO: OBSESSION

10K 330 281
By Woolfhoundss

A/N: Shorter chapter. I'm setting some stuff up. No smut in this one.

James drives toward St. Patrick's. He has sins to confess, and advice to seek. He mouths along with a playlist that Dahlia sent him. She has excellent taste in music. God, he loves her so much. As he's driving, the playlist cuts out and his phone rings. James taps his bluetooth.

"Yeah."

"Jamie? It's me."

Her voice sounds heavy, but James treats it as a normal conversation.

"Hey, Becs."

"I looked into Steve's emails."

His heart begins to pound.

"And?"

"He's been communicating with Wilson Fisk through a dummy account, and getting massive amounts of cash from him. Wires from offshore accounts. Anywhere Fisk has money stashed. Steve's raking in millions just giving information about Walker. He paid Walker's debts, too."

"Why?"

"No idea. Turns out sr0704 at gmail dot com is kind of a stupid thing to name your sock puppet email account because your best friend's sister can find it in a flash. Can you ask Steve what his IQ is, because I think it's about the same as a fucking carrot."

James frowns. He had a feeling. The second Pierce dropped out of the race, James had a sneaking suspicion that there was a much bigger reason for it.

"Son of a bitch. How long were they communicating?"

"Since around the time you and Dahlia started dating. I don't know why the fuck you trust that guy after what we're all sure happened. Hell, even mom's dead and I'm pretty sure her ghost knows what Steve did."

James feels his jaw clench and he steps on the gas, peeling down the highway toward St. Patrick's.

"Rebecca... tread lightly."

"I am! You're the one who's going to end up hurt, and Dahlia. You know what he's like, Jamie. You know how he handles this kind of perceived rejection or being pushed out of something. The guy needs serious psychiatric help! I just don't want you to get caught in the crossfire."

"Why is he emailing Fisk?" James asks.

"Because Fisk is paying him under the table to feed information to the mayor to help his campaign."

"It's why Pierce threatened to drop out."

Fuck.

"James, Steve has been a thorn in your side for a long time. I know he's your best friend, but I think this shit is starting again, and now that he has money and power, I don't know how well this is going to go for you."

It'll be fine. It's always fine. They have a discussion, Steve backs off, and everything is okay.

Except the time when it wasn't, but that didn't involve him. James knew how to salvage things.

His guts twist and Rebecca keeps talking.

"I'm still tapping his phone. He's texting Dahlia's friend a lot. Probing questions. About her, and you. Be careful, Jamie. I think he's starting to go off the deep end again."

"I will be, Becs. Thanks."

James solves one problem, and another emerges like magic. But he has to admit, he's been battling this one for a while. He tries to clear his head after Rebecca hangs up and keeps driving toward the church. When he gets there, the lights are off in the main building. Father Paul must be having lunch again. James walks around the building and pulls open the door to the back of the church that Father Paul always leaves open. He walks up the stairs and knocks on the door to Father Paul's apartment.

"Come in."

He pushes the door open. Father Paul is in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. James smirks as he walks through the door.

"I don't think I've ever seen you in casual wear."

Father Paul shrugs.

"Well, even priests need a day off." He sits up from lying on the couch. "What's going on?"

"I'm engaged."

Father Paul sighs. He looks so much like James's dad when he sighs - the good side of James's dad... the side that wanted to be a father.

"I don't know if I should be exasperated or say congratulations."

"The second one," James quips.

Father Paul rubs his face.

"Come and sit, James."

James sits on the couch beside him and hangs his head. Father Paul nudges him in the ribs.

"The engagement isn't why you came here."

"No," he whispers. "Steve is why I came here."

"Ah."

"I'm afraid things are getting out of hand again."

"Like when you were kids?" Father Paul asks.

"Yes."

"Who's involved?"

"Dahlia's best friend."

Father Paul nods and looks straight ahead. He knew Steve when they were kids. Steve was an altar boy. He played by all the rules, he was sweet and soft, and knew how to manipulate everyone around him. Including James and Father Paul. James just didn't see it until it was far too late.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Until they're almost blood.

And now his entire life might be caught in a brand new crossfire.

Father Paul turns to him.

"You have to tell her about what he's done."

"I know."

"Do you want to be with her for the rest of your life?"

"Yes," James whispers. "More than anything."

"Then you owe her the truth. When you told me that you had fallen in love, James, my first instinct wasn't to be disappointed in you, it was fear. He's going to see Dahlia as a threat to the empire he's wanted forever. We've discussed this."

"I know we have," James whispers. "I just--"

"You've made your bed, and now it's time to lie in it."

James takes a deep breath.

"It's not my bed to lie in. It never was."

Father Paul sighs.

"You should have told Dahlia this from the outset."

"I know."

"If you want her to stay, and if you really want her to rule with you, you have to be honest."

"What do I do about Steve?" James asks.

Father Paul smiles.

"He's not a criminal mastermind, James. There's a reason why you're the brains of the operation." Father Paul pinches the bridge of his nose. "You could have all of Los Angeles beneath your thumb, but you have a soft spot for that man. You always have."

"I know," James whispers. "I love him."

"Fear is not love, James. He's your achilles heel," Father Paul murmurs. "You saw the signs from miles away, James. He hurts people, and not in the way that you do. He does this for pleasure, for power, for the thrill of it. You kill when you have to. I'm surprised that a man as intelligent as you didn't piece this together."

"Maybe I believed in people too much."

Father Paul puts a hand on James's shoulder.

"And maybe it's important for you to confront the past before it catches up with your future."

James nods.

"You're right. You're right."

He takes a deep breath and claps Father Paul on the shoulder.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Do the right thing, James. For once in your life." Father Paul smirks. "That's a nice tattoo, by the way. New?"

"Dahlia got a matching one."

Father Paul nods.

"Well, if you want to reign in Hell instead of serve in Heaven, then you're both on the right track."

James takes a deep breath.

"I appreciate the moral judgment, Father. I'm sure my fiancee would say the same."

"I have a fine line to walk, James."

He laughs.

"I know."

"Call me if you have any problems."

"I will," James murmurs. "Thank you."

He stands up and walks out of Father Paul's apartment, not looking back. As he walks down the stairs, his phone rings. It's Dahlia's aunt's number. James picks up right away.

"Hello?"

"Hello, James?"

"Rita, hi," he chuckles. "How are you?"

"I'm great. Listen, it turns out, I can't make it tomorrow night. A work thing came up. Are you and Dahlia busy this evening? I'd really love to meet you, and see Dahlia."

James smiles. The perfect distraction to get him out of telling the truth. He needs some time to think about what he's going to say.

"Tonight sounds perfect. Can I text Dahlia? I'll send you my address."

"Sounds great. I really look forward to meeting you. I'm thrilled for her."

"Thank you, Rita. I appreciate it. I'll text you with the details by the end of the day."

"I always loved a man who thrived on efficiency."

James smirks. Dahlia must come from a family of bold and flirtatious women.

"I try, Rita. Talk soon."

"Bye, James."

The line goes dead as he jogs out to his car.

He has to tell Dahlia the truth, but he can't reveal everything too quickly. There's too much danger in Steve finding out.

And a big part of James is content to leave the truth where it is. It's always been his biggest fault as a person.

🌺🌺🌺

Dahlia pulls up to the flower shop in her white Maserati. She's been driving it more, and James just had it detailed again over the weekend. It smells amazing - soft leather, purrs like a fucking kitten, and she feels expensive driving it. She doesn't quite want to admit it to herself yet, but she's begun to grow accustomed to this life that James has given her. Part of her feels like she didn't work for it, like she's just arm candy. She wants to prove herself to James, but she doesn't know how. He told her he wanted her to sit in on more board meetings at the hotel and get a feel for how things are run. She could still run the flower shop, but eventually, he wanted to integrate it into the hotel in Skid Row.

She's never thought about expansion. Part of her thinks that her father would be proud of her for this. The shop is thriving again, and they're getting rave reviews. She pays her Wanda, Kate, and Scott well - extremely well considering most businesses in LA pay employees $16/hr and that's barely enough to be able to survive in the city. Dahlia pays them $50/hr for putting together arrangements, dealing with customers, and then tacks on extra to their paychecks for extra labor. She loves working with her friends and she, like James, believes that people should be paid what they're worth, and her friends are worth everything to her.

She arrives at work to find Wanda exhausted and slumped over the counter. She's in new clothes, or at least clothes that Dahlia has never seen before. They look designer. Steve must be taking after James. Dahlia has to suppress the suspicion that floods her body the second she lays eyes on her best friend. Wanda smiles at her and, immediately, she sees life in her eyes. James urged her to talk to Dahlia and get information about Steve. So, she's going to do her best. She also wants to know why Steve lied to James's face. There's no way in hell her best friend would ever betray her like that. She'd never say that David was a mistake that she wanted to get rid of. When Dahlia heard that, she almost blew a gasket.

"I'll punch him in his fucking face, James. I swear to God."

Her rage was palpable. James cupped her face in his hands and kissed her so sweetly that she almost felt it dissipate.

Almost.

"I know, peach. Let's just do some digging first, okay?"

Kate and Scott are in the back room putting together the arrangements for Sharon's fundraiser on Saturday night. Dahlia approved the designs and let Kate take the lead. She came up with something gorgeous - a simple color scheme of red, white, and black roses. It fits well with the decor of the ballroom. James had some of the booths reupholstered at Natasha's request since she's going to be designing the large ballrooms for the Skid Row property.

"Hey," Wanda murmurs. She has bags under her eyes and her face looks sunken and sallow.

"Hey," Dahlia says softly. She glances over Wanda's shoulder to make sure that Scott and Kate are busy. There's music blaring from the speakers and they haven't opened for the day yet, so they didn't even hear Dahlia come in. She leans over and brushes Wanda's hair away from her face. "You good?"

"Yeah," Wanda replies. "Just tired."

Dahlia grins.

"Is it Steve?"

Wanda nods.

"He's, uh... he's a lot."

"You don't seem too happy about that."

"I am, it's just..." Wanda sighs. "It's fast, and he's very intense. He's always wanting to whisk me away to places, to dinners, clubbing, he's always feeding me drinks when we're out. I had to spit some wine back into a fucking plant at dinner last night because I didn't want to get too drunk."

Another sigh and alarm bells start going off in Dahlia's head. She has to tell James about this, but she nods and makes sure that Wanda keeps talking.

"To be honest with you, I kind of just miss lying on the couch eating mac and cheese right out of the pot and being a slob. With Steve, it's high heels every night and I don't even dress like myself anymore because these places are so fancy. This is the most normal clothing I've worn in like two days. He treats me like a fucking Barbie doll. I don't know how you handle this shit with James."

"Well, James and I have a mutual kind of respect. If I don't want to do something, we don't do it. Have you talked to Steve about this?"

"No," Wanda replies. "I'm afraid. Things are still really new and I don't want to rock the boat. I know I said all of that shit, but he's really sweet. He's really sensitive, and he texts me all the time. Like, it's so much, Dahl. He's sweet - he's really sweet, don't get me wrong..."

She's repeating herself. Justifying. To who, Dahlia doesn't know.

"And he's fucking great in bed. I know it sounds like I'm tired, but it's not always like that.

"But sometimes you need a break," Dahlia says softly.

"Yeah. The only break I got was when he drove up to San Francisco for a work thing that he said James made him attend." She shakes her head. "Anyway, he's coming to pick me up for lunch and I haven't really had any time to myself since his birthday party."

"The night you hooked up," Dahlia confirms.

Wanda sighs.

"Yeah. It's been five days — well, four and a half."

Dahlia recognizes this kind of behavior and it makes her extremely nervous. If Steve is jealous that Dahlia is "monopolizing" James's time, then maybe he's trying to do the same thing with Wanda. This is also what David did with her - attention, love bombing, made her feel special, and then he made his move. Wanda laughs.

"I don't know what to talk to him about anymore."

"Does he ask about me?" Dahlia asks.

Wanda's brows knit together.

"What do you mean?"

"Does he ask you questions about me," Dahlia repeats.

She can see anger flare in Wanda's eyes.

"What are you doing?"

She doesn't want to fight. She has to tread carefully with this.

"I'm asking a question, Wanda."

Wanda sighs and rolls her eyes. They don't fight often - actually, in the almost ten years that they've been friends, they've had one big knock down, drag out fight that resulted in them not speaking for an entire summer in tenth grade. Both of them felt awful about it and there was a big, dramatic, tearful apology on the first day of school in September. Neither of them remember what it was about. It was the kind of fight that started over something small and then spiralled out of control before either of them could get a handle on what was going on. Ever since then, they've never had another fight. Neither of them wanted to lose each other, and Dahlia isn't going to let some prick come between her and her best friend.

"No, he doesn't—" She stops. "He actually did. A couple of times."

"What did he ask you?"

"Why does it matter? Are you guys fighting or something? Steve said the three of you were getting along great, that you hung out in San Francisco when he drove up for the night."

Dahlia stares at her and nods.

"Yeah. We chilled out."

She doesn't want to start poking holes in Steve's story just yet. James just told her to get information - nothing more, nothing less.

"Yeah, he said you guys had dinner," Wanda replies. "Are you guys fighting?"

Fucking snake, Dahlia thinks before shaking her head.

"No. I was just curious. Steve was just acting a little weird since James and I got engaged. That's all."

"Well, I mean, he's barely gotten to spend time with his best friend. He gave me—" Wanda leans over. "Between you and me, he gave me a bit of a sob story about it, and expected me to be all hurt like, 'James took Dahlia from you.'"

Dahlia's temper is flaring.

"You don't think that, do you?"

Wanda scoffs.

"Girl, you're getting good dick and you're going to marry the most powerful man on the West Coast. I just want a spot as your maid of honor."

"Wanda, you—" Dahlia walks around the counter and wraps her arms around her best friend. "You know you've already earned that spot, right?"

"Who's earned what spot?" Scott asks as he and Kate emerge from the office.

"We were just talking about the wedding," Wanda laughs.

"We heard!" Kate exclaims, both her and Scott running toward Dahlia to engulf her into a big group hug. "Congratulations!"

"Yeah, congrats, Dahlia," Scott says with a smile.

"Hey, how's it going with Hope?" Dahlia asks. "I feel like I've missed out on so much gossip."

"It's great," Scott replies. "She's... she's great. It's wild when you figure out how in love with someone you are."

Dahlia smiles.

"Yeah, I know the feeling."

Wanda elbows her in the ribs.

"So? When's the wedding?"

"A ways away yet," Dahlia replies. "We still have to tell my aunt... which, I think we're doing tomorrow night."

"Rita is going to flip," Wanda laughs.

"Yeah." Dahlia sighs. "Maybe a little, but James said he managed to get a hold of her and she was receptive to having dinner at his place."

"You mean she doesn't wanna eat fancy food on our shitty couch with two broken springs?"

"I actually like the broken springs," Dahlia replies. "It's more comfortable that way."

"Tell your rich ass boyfriend to buy us a new couch," Wanda laughs.

Dahlia smiles. She stares at Wanda for a moment, who smiles, but Dahlia can tell that it's forced. There's something wrong. Dahlia knows that look - she saw it when Wanda's parents were getting divorced and there was nothing she could do about it. It was that same kind of helpless look that she has now. Dahlia said she didn't want to come between James and his best friend, but it looks like she might have to to protect her family. She would do anything for Wanda. Dahlia doesn't have any siblings and Wanda is the closest thing to a sister she's ever had. She'd kill for Wanda, and she can say that honestly.

"I will," she says softly.

The energy in the shop shifts and they revert back to the way things used to be. Wanda is still exhausted, but they tease each other, laugh, and dance around the shop. People float in and out, buying bouquets and asking for quotes on arrangements while they finish up the flowers for Sharon's fundraiser. Wanda has to run out for more ribbons because Dahlia forgot to order them. There's a craft store just down the block. Scott goes with her. Around 1:00pm, the doorbell rings and Steve walks in in a white suit with a white dress shirt, his blonde hair slicked back, and his beard neatly trimmed. Dahlia is strolling out of the office with a bouquet in her hand when she spots him.

"Hi," he purrs.

"Hey."

"How's it going?" He asks, looking around. "Displays are looking a little sparse."

His voice is clipped and judgmental. If he wants to be scoring points with Dahlia and James, he should be trying a lot fucking harder. She has to resist letting her lip curl into a snarl, and smiles instead.

"Well, we've been busy today."

"That's good. James'll be happy." Steve grins. "Is my girl here?"

"She just ran out to grab some more ribbons for bouquets, but she'll be back in like five minutes."

"I'll wait outside, then," Steve replies coolly.

"Are you sure?" Dahlia asks. "It's air conditioned in here."

"Yeah, I'm good," Steve replies. "Thanks, though."

He turns on his heel and steps outside, waiting by his car. Dahlia notes that Steve makes it a point to face the shop so that he can look at her as he leans up against the hood. Kate walks up to Dahlia and leans on the counter.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"What the fuck is that guy's problem?"

Dahlia realizes the gift she's been given. Kate's back is turned to her. She looks up at her friend and then smiles.

"Make it look like we're just working. Come around to face him so that he can see you. I'm going to point to stuff and pretend to train you, and we can talk."

"Dahlia..." Kate warns. "What's going on?"

"Just trust me. Please?"

Kate doesn't nod. In fact, she doesn't say anything as she rounds the counter and stands beside Dahlia as she's wrapping fresh bouquets.

"What have you seen?" She makes sure to point and gesture, fake smiling. When she looks up, Steve is looking at his phone, totally not paying attention to what's going on.

"He's just weird," Kate whispers. "He's possessive and clingy. He demands so much of Wanda's time. We used to go clubbing and be each other's wing women, and it was super fun and now it's like he's obsessed with her. It's very suspicious."

"Obsessed? What do you mean?"

"Calling her, texting her, he sends her gifts to the shop and to your guys's apartment. She feels like she can't say no, but I think she's overwhelmed. Did James do that stuff to you?"

Dahlia sighs.

"I mean, he was—"

Hiding an entire life.

It felt different with James. It didn't feel like love bombing. It's a fine line to walk, and Dahlia knows that James has some less than desirable traits, but what Steve is doing doesn't feel like the same way that James courted Dahlia.

"I hope you don't think I'm trying to compare you and James—"

"No," Dahlia whispers. "I get it."

"Steve is just creepy. He's always here. James wasn't always here. All the fucking time."

"Yeah," Dahlia agrees. "You're right about that."

"Steve seems to want to have control over this place, and since you're not here, maybe... he thinks he can step in?" Kate laughs and Dahlia looks up to see Steve watching them. Kate is clearly on to the same thing that Dahlia is on to - neither of them want Steve to know what's going on. "It's ridiculous. I've been talking to Wanda. She wants to break things off."

Dahlia's stomach turns. She has a feeling Wanda is in a hell of a lot more danger than she thinks. When she looks up again, she sees Wanda leaning up to kiss Steve. Steve's eyes are closed, but Wanda is looking at Dahlia.

"Something's wrong, Kate."

"I know. Scott knows, too. He's been gently trying to coax Wanda into breaking things off. Just for Wanda's sanity."

The two of them wave at Steve and Wanda as they get into Steve's corvette and drive away for lunch. As Wanda leaves, Dahlia sees that helpless look in her eyes. Her phone buzzes.

[James 🖤]: What time are you off tonight? Your aunt is coming over.

Tonight? I thought she had to work tonight and she was coming over tomorrow.

[James 🖤]: Tonight. I'm sorry, sugar. She has a work thing tomorrow. Some kind of party.

Dahlia sighs. Her aunt works at a doctor's office. They're always going to fancy dinner parties and having staff only events. She swears that bitch has more work parties than the average human being. Dahlia was hoping to have a break tonight with just her and James so that she could tell him everything Wanda and Kate have told her, but it'll have to wait. Telling her aunt about her and James is the most important thing.

Okay. I'll be home at 7:00.

[James 🖤]: Making pasta. Dinner will be ready when you get home.

Finally, a man who cooks for me, AND my aunt. Rita will be so proud of you.

[James 🖤]: I'll always cook for you and anyone you love, draga mea. I love you.

She smiles. He's so sweet.

I love you too.

Wanda comes back after lunch with a big smile on her face. Dahlia doesn't ask questions. Part of her just likes to see her best friend happy, but she knows she has to tell James everything that she heard. As Wanda is gathering some bouquets from the fridge to put into a truck for delivery, Dahlia texts James.

Can we talk about Steve and Wanda soon?

[James 🖤]: Tonight after your aunt leaves. Is everything okay?

Yeah, I'm just worried about her. She's different.

[James 🖤]: Everything is okay, peach. Come home to me and I'll make you forget about the whole day.

She smiles.

That had better be a promise.

[James 🖤]: It will be. Your aunt will be here at 7:30.

I'm surprised you're not taking her to the hotel.

[James 🖤]: I figured a home-cooked meal was the best way to break the news.

He's right about that. Dahlia smiles

She's going to love you. I can already feel it.

The rest of the day is easy. Wanda's phone buzzes on and off, but she ignores it, occasionally looking exhausted every time she hears the sound. Dahlia wraps an arm around her waist and kisses her temple.

"I love you, you know that, right?"

Wanda smiles and leans into her.

"I know, babes. I love you too."

Despite the smile on Wanda's face, Dahlia doesn't feel good about what's going on. This has to stop. Steve has to go away.

Maybe for good.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174K 4.1K 70
đź–¤Matuređź–¤Romanceđź–¤ "Where's he going?" "To her. His Passerine." Kristyn, a fragile, little girl struggling her days in the crowded city of New York...
1.7K 42 25
After defeating the Flag Smashers, Bucky Barnes got closer to Sam and his entourage by moving to Louisiana. But getting involved with new people mean...
391K 12.5K 80
A Modern Bucky Barnes x OC Story **SMUTS** TW - Lots of BDSM. Sexual content. Sex Work. Death. Violence. You worked for Mr Barnes as his secretary...
11.1K 463 23
Harbouring a huge secret not only from your best friend Steve seemed like a marvellous thing to do until he and his brother Bucky come back into town...