Andy Crow's Fantastical Summer

Bởi TheWallflowerWitch

Andy thinks he's lost forever when his aunt's chimney transports him and his dog, Chip, into the magical worl... Xem Thêm

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Kids Should Not Sleep Late
A Square Peg In A Round Hole
Andy Gets Swallowed
The Hearthstone Village
The Outlander's Mission
To Verfair Timberland
Thou Shall Not Steal
Andy's in Charge
The One Named Wolfie
Twice the Trouble
Blooms Garden
Monster in the Lake
The Nightshade Pack
Back Home
The Crows (Part 1)
The Crows (Part 2)
All Aboard the Giant Drake
The Witch of Fairton Hill (Part 1)
The Witch of Fairton Hill (Part 2)
The Witch of Fairton Hill (Part 3)
Farewell, Friend
Summer Once Again
AFTERWORD

Apple of the Truth

43 20 7
Bởi TheWallflowerWitch

ANDY AND ELSIE sat atop Fenris' back, while Hex and Chip complained about having to be carried around like a toy by Rolf in his mouth. It was still strange being able to hear the animals' thoughts. For Andy, it would take quite a lot of time to adjust.

While crossing a tree, over a lake, and under the stars, Andy learned that the whole pack thrived for over a hundred years already, and they concealed themselves somewhere deep in Verfair Timberland to get away from the people of Hearthstone. The two didn't do well co-existing with one another. Since then, there were no wolves in sight around the village, for the men had killed and skinned most of the pack's population.

Hearing this story, Andy couldn't help but get worried; however, Lupa assured him that they knew Elsie's heritage and Andy's being an Outlander. They were overly grateful for the young wanderer's great deed, so they passed as an exception.

The group emerged from the forest onto the vast, grassy plain that stretched for miles before coming to an abrupt halt at the foot of an immense mountain.

"That is Mountain Terrabris. It borders Hearthstone's forest to its neighboring village—the Eclipse Village," Elsie said from behind him, and he tilted his head farther to look up, admiring and fearing its immense height at the same time.

"I couldn't see its peak. It's hidden behind the clouds."

Andy and Elsie put their heads down as the wolves sprinted, which soon turned into a fast run, and began the dangerous journey up the mountain. They went up and up, and even beyond that. Andy's fingers were heavy with cold, yet he clung tight around Fenris' hard, bristle-like fur to avoid slipping. Otherwise, he and Elsie would fall like an out-of-fuel rocket from the top of the mountain—much taller than Mount Everest—he had ever seen.

While they followed a path flanked by giant boulders as big as his room, Elsie told Andy of books she'd read. Elsie acted out the battles for him using a stick she picked up on the trail. She roared and slashed, pretending to attack Andy, and then he would ride on with her silly charades, gripping his side in agony, as she drove her spear into his unprotected belly.

After that, Andy found himself starting to share his own story—a thing he was pretty hesitant to do out of mistrust. But Elsie grew herself inside his heart, and at last, he found the thing he desired to have the most—a real friend in her presence.

"You were adopted?" Elsie yelled in his ears, though it was unintentional as the girl had a naturally loud voice.

"Elsie, you don't have to shout and let everyone know," he hissed and glared over his shoulder.

Elsie pursed her lips and muttered, "Sorry."

He sighed and looked straight ahead. With Fenris and Lupa at the lead, their group was now crossing a rope bridge with flowering vines wrapped around the suspensions. Andy's heart almost leaped to his throat as the bridge swayed under their weight. To their left, a waterfall gushed over the rocks. It had a beautiful serenity-pool at the bottom. The frogs croaking nearby added to the beautiful sounds, and the sweet nougat smell of flowers washed over them.

"Mom can't have a baby, that's what they said," Andy started as soon as they safely crossed the bridge, and Fenris broke into a trot. "But they badly want to have one, especially mom. That's how they found me in an orphanage. They said there's an invisible string, like magic, which drew them to me."

Most of his classmates would poke fun at his lack of semblance with his parents. When his parents told him about the truth, he was six years old when they found him crying on the community playground late at night. And Andy, being the intelligent child he was, understood the situation when his parents explained it to him that same night over a cup of hot chocolate.

"What about your real parents?" Elsie asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Andy shrugged, but he couldn't deny that there were times he wondered about them. "The nuns in the orphanage found me in front of the gates on a rainy night, rolled in a bunch of blankets. There are times I wonder if they are alive. If they are, do they miss me? What if they decided to have another child and kept him? Probably, I'll be the happiest brother in the whole world. I always prayed for a sibling. But... I never tried looking for them. My mom and dad are already enough." Even though they tend to forget they had a son whenever duty called them.

After crossing and battling the river's strong currents, the wolves broke into a run once again. They jumped over fallen leaves, boulders, and bushes, the landscape around them becoming a blur.

Their group slowed into a trot as they arrived in a place where the mighty Sequoia trees towered over them. A pair of wolves, standing guard in between two trees, greeted their arrival and sniffed on them before they were allowed to pass through.

Security check, dear friend. It's a protocol our warriors must follow. And Lupa and I are not an exception, Fenris said as if knowing what he was thinking.

Andy didn't know what to expect of the wolves' den. He imagined it would reek of dog's poo, or lots of animal carcasses would litter the land. However, the small pack land before his eyes was the exact opposite.

They were probably in the middle of hundreds of Sequoia trees. Large white trilliums grew and scattered like glowing pearls in a sea of green. Tiny insects, the size of a pea, milled about the small clearing, spreading warm golden light from their butts. And up ahead, just before the next line of trees, were huge forest rocks in varying levels and covered with creeping figs. At its base, five wolves sat straight in attention and howled upon seeing them arrive.

Without warning, Elsie hopped off Fenris' back; her winklepicker bounced on the soggy floor of the Nightshade's Den. She hopped over the white trilliums and headed for fig-covered rocks. Her excitement bubbled inside her like lava. She tripped, but she caught herself before she could fall.

Andy slung his leg over Fenris' back and jumped off too. Rolf, the charcoal black wolf, released Hex and Chip from his jaw grip, and the two fell, splat, onto the ground. Chip shook off his fur and growled at the wolf, but when the wolf snarled and clamped his sharp canines in front of the pug's face, the tiny dog froze and fell on his back, playing dead.

Andy rolled his eyes and picked up Chip. Hex already followed Elsie towards the large vertical rocks. One by one, the wolves leaped on each rock as if having their designated places. Fenris and Lupa occupied the tallest one in the middle, which Andy recognized as their thrones.

Andy inhaled deeply, suddenly nervous and curious. He joined Elsie as they craned their necks to look upon the wolves.

"Um, Fenris... Lupa, what do you have to tell us about Fairton Hill? W-We're running out of time—I mean, I am running out of time, and we really have to keep... going?" Andy laughed awkwardly. His voice gave a strong echo that even with his quiet voice, everyone in the den heard him. He wiped the sweat off his brows as the intense pressure of the wolves' gazes weighed on him.

Fairton Hill? Are you asking for your death, boy? said the wolf with brownish-red fur. A chorus of agreement echoed around him, and Andy wished the ground would swallow right at that moment.

Silence! Fenris' voice boomed, but his eyes remained intact at their small group. We are in no position to stop them in their journey, no matter how much I believe the outcome would be undesirable. There was a long pause, and everyone waited with bated breath for the words that would soon follow. Why do you think those witches from the village haven't done anything to ward off the threat? And yet, you kids plan to drive away the evil from that hill.

Do you even have a plan? Said another wolf.

The golden brown wolf snorted. Ha! I bet they don't. Then all of them, except for Lupa and Fenris, erupted in mocking laughter. They were only silenced when a deep growl rumbled in Fenris' chest.

Andy and Elsie looked nervously at each other. It was true that they charged head-on in this journey without giving much thought to it. Andy was running out of time, and his only thought the entire time was to finish the mission fast and go back home.

In a small and hesitant voice, he said, "I-I can't stay here for too long. Maybe you can help us—"

You like to bring us down with you? a tawny brown wolf said.

No way! agreed another.

But before they began another endless rant, Lupa spoke in a sharp tone, Not another word from any of you. She focused her electric blue eyes on Andy and Elsie. But it is true, I must say, that you, meddling in matters that are way out of your hand, is troublesome.

Just go back to the village! said the brownish-red wolf.

"No!" Andy, even though shaking from fear, shouted. "I can't. This is the only way that I can go back to my world. If I don't..." He swallowed the lump in his throat. "... I'd still die anyway."

Elsie audibly gasped beside him. He couldn't see her face as he looked down at his feet.

Very well! Fenris' voice resounded, making him look up. We are in no position to interfere with your decision.

But Fenris—

Lupa, he said in a warning, and the she-wolf said no more. Fenris leaped off his stone, his landing causing a tremor which nearly threw them off, and stood over them, blocking their view of the night sky.

Just a fair warning, dear friends, for you clearly don't know what's waiting for you on that hill. Our pack feels threatened the same way as the people from the village, so every day, one of us comes and investigates the odd activities on that hill. Fenris crouched low and leveled his eyes at Andy's. What is the story of that hill, dear friend?

Andy clenched his fist as he took a step backward. Remembering Elsie's story, he said, "T-There was a mansion above the hill, but the black cloud sucked it through when it got big enough to do so."

Exactly, Fenris said, nodding his head. He started to pace back and forth in front of them, his tail whipping. But I wonder. Why is there a house on top of the hill if it is indeed sucked through?

"T-That's not true!" Elsie shouted, her face flushed, and her eyes darted everywhere, unsettled. "My father told me about its story—"

But not every story is true, Lupa said in a firm voice, and she jumped off her rock. But instead of her paws crushing the moist leaves on the ground, she floated as a glimmering silver light carried her around. I want you to look closely around. Sharpen your eyes and tell me what you see. You, too, little ones, she added quickly, pertaining to Hex and Chip.

Even though confused, Andy refrained from opening his mouth and scanned their surroundings like the others. At first, there was nothing but trees, rocks, vines, and flowers. The moon and stars above were peacefully lounging in the dark backdrop, the clouds serving as their pillow.

Andy glanced up above to his right, then did a double-take. He had seen it before, but he wanted to make sure. The tall Sequoia trees could only allow him to see as much of a huge mass of black—not just any gray but pure black—clouds. There was an intermittent flashing of blinding light like thunder, yet it was silent like a hushed whisper of the wind. Andy sniffed the air, but no earthy smell of petrichor hung in the air. And then, with realization, he understood why. Those were not any kind of storm clouds. Those were...

"The thick dark clouds of Fairton Hill," Elsie whispered beside him, confirming his hunch. She stared at it as if bewitched.

"So, a-are we this close to reaching Fairton Hill?" Andy gulped, suppressing the urge to make a run for it.

Their minds can't be changed, Lupa, Fenris said to his mate. The only thing we can do is to warn them, at least.

And help them, Lupa asserted to him, and Fenris didn't hesitate to agree.

Of course. Fenris nodded. As promised, we shall aid you in this quest for the good heart that you have. But... our pack can only do so much. As their Alpha, the safety of everyone in my pack will always come first.

"Fenris," Andy said. "What makes you say that there's still a house above the hill? We clearly can't see anything when we're in Hearthstone."

We believe there was something evil in nature occupying the hill, said Lupa. From far away, the house can't be seen. But up close, within a certain distance, what's concealed shall be bare of its real identity.

THE EARLY DAWN was still and quiet. Nightshade's Den was supposed to be breathtaking if not for the overflowing dread caused by the ominous cloud above.

Everyone else was resting and snoring, but not Andy. Lupa, with her maternal instinct, had forced them to sleep. But as soon as the wolf was out cold, Andy snuck out and ambled not far from the small clearing.

Andy milled around a tree, going in a full circle, kicking some dirt as he went by. He couldn't shake away the nervousness that was messing up in his brain. As soon as the sun rises, they would travel northeast towards Fairton Hill with the help of the wolves for fast travel. And when that moment arrived, there was no coming back.

Tired of moving in a circle around the tree, he sat on a large root and played with his hands. Andy sucked in a breath as he witnessed his hand turn transparent then back into full flesh again. It was happening again. Emerraine was starting to reject him. How many days had already passed? Andy lost count. His lips quivered, and a lone tear spilled from his eye.

"Oh, why's the poor boy crying?" said an unfamiliar voice of a woman from behind him.

Andy jumped from the tree root. When he turned around, he saw a black-cloaked woman with striking beauty, a slim figure, and long wavy brown hair parted in the middle. Her highly arched eyebrows accented her violet eyes, giving her a natural mischievous expression. A sleeveless blue dress was under her long, black, wool cloak under a deeper blue corset.

She put one foot forward, and Andy took one step back.

"W-Who are you?" said Andy while his eyes alternately glanced at the woman and the path towards the small clearing.

"Just a traveler passing by." Her cherry red lips stretched into a wide smile. "In fact, I've been watching you and your friends for quite a while. It looked like you were arguing about... something."

Andy's stance was alert. If this woman planned to do something funny, he would scream and run so that the wolves would know that something was wrong.

"Y-You're eavesdropping on us? Why?" he said sharply with brows furrowed.

"Eavesdropping?" She cocked her head to one side. "Oh, no, no. I was quite focused on one thing: it was hard for me to catch any part of your conversation."

"Focused on something, ma'am?" the boy said in surprise.

A smug satisfaction on the woman's face came from knowing that she piqued the boy's interest. "Yes! Don't you know that I have the gift to see past the lies? To seek for the truth?"

He looked at her for a moment before replying, "No."

"In fact, I am more than just a traveler because I'm also someone who wishes to help lonely souls I chance upon. And I give them..." The woman's words were suspended as she slid her hand under the checkered cloth covering the top of her wicker basket and took out a shiny red apple. "... this gift."

"A gift... for me?" Andy accepted the apple in his hand. Though hesitant, the boy was interested in what this seemingly harmless fruit could do.

"Yes!" she whisper-yelled and smiled wickedly. "Let the young witch eat that apple, and you'll know what I'm trying to say."

Andy studied her for a moment. Strange because he was actually considering her words without question. How so? He didn't know this woman. This apple might contain poison, and he would make Elsie eat it.

"But why Elsie?" he spoke indifferently, his voice low and flat. The longer he stared at the apple, the more he got lost in its red glow.

"Why, I wonder." Sealing the basket closed, she cackled with delight as she lifted the hood over her face and blended in with the trees' shadows, leaving Andy in the clutches of her spell.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

4.3K 519 20
What are wings for if not for flying with dragons in the realm where islands float in the sky? The life of order and monotony is not enough for a win...
9.7K 232 38
I always had scuffles and went against the law but one day while fighting my worst enemys nephew it all went black Now I have to live here I don't kn...
123 13 7
It all began on an ordinary Saturday. Her life has never been the same since. Lexi Anderson never wanted an adventure. But ever since she moved to En...
7.8K 1.8K 43
Freedom comes at a price and a young Earthal princess must live the life of somebody else, even if it means facing evil threats and impossible odds. ...